[Exalted] The Last Daughter -- Dragon-Blooded Sorcery School Quest

I enjoy how Ambraea's relationship with Maia is progressing. They're becoming better friends! I hope that we're able to help her learn sorcery just like she's helped us.

Also you know I gotta pick [X] Plague of Bronze Snakes. I ain't passing up an opportunity for us to blight the land we tread upon.

I enjoy how Ambraea's relationship with Maia is progressing. They're becoming better friends! I hope that we're able to help her learn sorcery just like she's helped us.

Also you know I gotta pick [X] Plague of Bronze Snakes. I ain't passing up an opportunity for us to blight the land we tread upon.
(The auto-tally won't pick up that vote unless you put it at the start of a line).

From the update before:
Sola lets out a low whistle. "The Hooded [Headsman, huh?" You grimace, acknowledging her point. Clearly, that spell was not intended primarily for stone cutting.
"I didn't expect to see a human out in this,"
Is the sentence finished? I expected "storm" or something at the end there.
"Although, you have something none of the others do: My attention, in person."
Erroneous capitalisation, possibly?
Just for an instant, their body shines like brilliant crysta, transparent and dazzlingl — then the youth is gone entirely, and you're looking up at the creature you've really been holding this conversation with:
"crystal"? Also, the sentence should end with a dot.
Pulls a horde of metallic serpents up out of the ground under the sorcerer's command, to vex the her enemies or their lands,

[x] Death of Obsidian Butterflies

I fell in love with the spell, or rather the carnage it is capable of in the hands of even a mortal sorcerer in one of the other quests on this site. I'd like to see what we can do with a fine control of it. Plus, it's very aesthetically pleasing.

The Guardian would be my 2nd pick, though.

Why settle for just land and sky, when you can bring wrath down on Sea, land and sky.

We need snakes on a boat.
Nothing about Obsidian Butterflies says it wouldn't work underwa- Oh, you're limiting yourself to the surface of the water.

Death of Obsidian Butterflies is to Exalted Sorcery what Fireball is to D&D Wizardry. You've got to respect the classics.

Pet Snek is pet snek

Also is it anything like the Find Familar Spell?
We don't need our command spell to be Plague of Bronze Snakes to get a snake familiar, it just bypasses the need for specific familiar-acquisition magic. We can have both obsidian claws and a snake familiar, but only if we start with Death of Obsidian Butterflies.
I'm not familiar with Find Familiar, so you'll need to be more specific.
D&D 5e spell to summon a familiar. It's like Summon Elemental/First Circle Demon/Ghost as applied to a period of service rather than a specific task, but it limits to one summon of a weaker variety in exchange for a lifelong duration.

Article:
Creation is filled with beasts both prosaic and exotic, and the character has formed a deep and profound bond with one of them. Although the familiar is (probably) no more able to speak the languages of men than any other beast, the character can roughly understand the chirps, pawings, barks, and gesticulations of his animal companion, and the familiar understands the character's commands in turn. He can even share his familiar's senses by concentrating and taking no other actions, so long as the familiar is somewhere within long range of him.

One dot in this Merit provides a relatively weak familiar, such as a squirrel, owl, cat or dog. Two dots provides a formidable or useful beast, such as a riding animal or vicious predator—horses, simhata, tigers, and omen dogs are all appropriate two-dot familiars. Three dots provides a familiar that is in some way overtly exceptional or magical, such as one of the talking monkeys of Halta, an armored and fire-breathing ox mutated by the Wyld, a super-predator like a tyrant lizard, or a God-Blooded stallion fathered by the horse god Hiparkes.
Source: Exalted Third Edition pg.161

We're not going by strict mechanics here, but this is what familiar means in this context. This snake is a lot more low key than the examples given in that passage, but this is an overtly magical snake (it's a minor Earth elemental), so I'd call it a small three dot familiar.

We don't need our command spell to be Plague of Bronze Snakes to get a snake familiar, it just bypasses the need for specific familiar-acquisition magic. We can have both obsidian claws and a snake familiar, but only if we start with Death of Obsidian Butterflies.

D&D 5e spell to summon a familiar. It's like Summon Elemental/First Circle Demon/Ghost as applied to a period of service rather than a specific task, but it limits to one summon of a weaker variety in exchange for a lifelong duration.

Article:
Creation is filled with beasts both prosaic and exotic, and the character has formed a deep and profound bond with one of them. Although the familiar is (probably) no more able to speak the languages of men than any other beast, the character can roughly understand the chirps, pawings, barks, and gesticulations of his animal companion, and the familiar understands the character's commands in turn. He can even share his familiar's senses by concentrating and taking no other actions, so long as the familiar is somewhere within long range of him.

One dot in this Merit provides a relatively weak familiar, such as a squirrel, owl, cat or dog. Two dots provides a formidable or useful beast, such as a riding animal or vicious predator—horses, simhata, tigers, and omen dogs are all appropriate two-dot familiars. Three dots provides a familiar that is in some way overtly exceptional or magical, such as one of the talking monkeys of Halta, an armored and fire-breathing ox mutated by the Wyld, a super-predator like a tyrant lizard, or a God-Blooded stallion fathered by the horse god Hiparkes.
Source: Exalted Third Edition pg.161

We're not going by strict mechanics here, but this is what familiar means in this context. This snake is a lot more low key than the examples given in that passage, but this is an overtly magical snake (it's a minor Earth elemental), so I'd call it a small three dot familiar.
I ment the find Familar Spell from Dnd 5th edition.

It's a really useful spell.

It's was my comparison between it and Fireball.

In this case a comparison between a powerful damaging area of effect spell verses a very useful utility spell

Control spell from Death of Obsidian Butterflies vs Plague of Bronze Snakes

And Fireball verse find familiar

I ment the find Familar Spell from Dnd 5th edition.

It's a really useful spell.

It's was my comparison between it and Fireball.

In this case a comparison between a powerful damaging area of effect spell verses a very useful utility spell

Control spell from Death of Obsidian Butterflies vs Plague of Bronze Snakes

And Fireball verse find familiar
Ah, you misunderstood my comparison. I was saying that Death of Obsidian Butterflies is iconic. Both spells are area damage effects, but one gets multiple appearances in official art and fanart alike, while the other gets overshadowed in a Google Image search by fanart of real world religious texts.

On top of that, an Exalt growing obsidian claws would be a lot more intimidating and impressive in-setting than having a pet Elemental.

My perspective is that the ability to always do lethal damage with unarmed attacks simply isn't that valuable. This isn't a particularly relevant ability for our protagonist as she is not a martial artist and it can be easily surpassed with a Resource 2 - 3 weapon purchase or many charms if that ever changes. The familiar provided by the "Plague of Bronze Snakes" is far more valuable as it provides powerful combat options without requiring more ability investment by independently serving as a reasonably powerful combatant or hindering enemies through multiple-opponent penalties. The familiar can also provide significant non-combat benefits by serving as a guard, messenger, disposable assassin, or an extra set of senses.

Last edited:
23 Snek (Plague of Bronze Snakes

16 Exalted Fireballs (Death of Obsidian Butterflies)

And 6 Togh (Stalwart Earth Guardian)

Last half an hour to make your vote count

Also,I feel a bit dumb for just figuring out what the title ment. : (

Cause she is the literal last daughter

Last edited:
Vote closed, Year 1 04
Back