Voting is open
I am in the grip of one of my fey moods, so, while it lasts, if some of you fine folks would be kind enough to roll some die?
I need three people to roll 1d6 for 'what could have been'

So, that is two short flashes on what could have been in wetlands/east, and one for plateaus.
I'll see about hitting the first one within a couple of days, and y'all have, not only my permission but my executive request to yell at me if I don't deliver.

What could have been: Getsuryū no ōkoku 1
Inoue Hiroyoshi reverently stepped into the confines of the forbidden palace, the city within the capital city of Ozatsuki.
Forbidden to enter and leave for all but the members of the royal family.
His family.

For all that they called the walled off section a palace, the structures within were rather simple and sparsely adorned.
Big.
Very big, indeed.
But humble.
It was what those structures were, that was so awe-inspiring.
Eleven low, wide shrines, made of blessed bamboo and silver-inlaid shingles lined the long, straight road leading to the simple stone temple pagoda of twelve levels.
And beyond each brightly colored Tora gate, within the low-slung shrine resided the avatars of their goods.
Not all of them, of course.
Only the blessed children.

His destination this day had been the Jū-ban jinja to answer the summons of one of the blessed children.

At the Tora he encountered his first surprise.
His younger sister was waiting for him in her full priest regalia.

The priestess bowed as one lesser would when welcoming someone of higher rank, which was absurd.

The only position where she was lesser to him was in age, in all other matters she stood superior.
Before he could even begin figuring out what was going on, she formally greeted him.
"This Chikako welcomes you, Onii-sama. Come, Makiko-ryu is waiting." she said as she straightened up, her painted face unreadable.

As she led him inside, he could not help but inquire in a low voice, despite it being somewhat less than courteous.
"This is about their holy breath being stymied from reaching the Hidoi Kaigan, is it not?"

Despite his breach of propriety, Chikako did not even twitch as she glided before him.
"Despite the Kami-ryu spending most of their time dormant, only one of them being awake at any one time, there is precious little that happens beneath the light of their parents that they are unaware of. Including the punitive fleet Takeshi-nii is assembling. Makiko-sama will not allow it."

And that gave him the answer he was not looking for.
Of course, Chikako was behaving overly deferential to him.
There was no way Takeshi could remain the crown prince if his actions incurred the dishonor of attracting Kami-ryu displeasure.
He cursed internally.
He had never wanted the crown.

Interesting to see the differences and the similarities between this and the previous version of this quest.

Just to make it clear, if it wasn't, these short 'what could have been' snippets are there to explore possible storylines, had you chosen to settle your exodus somewhere else.
Heck, if several sets of dice had not fallen in curious and entertaining patterns and prompted the creation of the entire Livvy/Lyf and AN storyline, I promise you your time on Gurni would have been drastically different from what you will be getting instead.

This entire exercise is mostly about me making use of my preliminary notes.

Voting is open
Back