Dungeons And Dragons Movie Remakes

Pronouns
He/Him/His
'Dungeons & Dragons' Movie Reboot Being Developed by Warner Bros.

While it's unclear what the terms were, the companies have reached an agreement and the D&D film reboot is moving forward with production. Fans weary of a new movie after the infamously terrible 2000 D&D film adaptation might be reassured after the proceedings. It's clear that Warner Bros. is committed to making this film happen, spending time and legal resources to fight for the rights. That commitment doesn't necessarily mean that the story will be a worthwhile adventure, but it's a good indicator that WB believes in the script and the franchise's possibilities.

If we get a dumpster fire I sincerely hope that it will at-least be an entertaining one.

Also I probably won't watch it if it gets anything less then an 80 on rotten tomatoes, the possible cringe would be too much to bear.

I remember that one. The one and only time I spent time and energy to bring friends over to go to the cinema and the had to profusely apologise after.

The first movie was in no way good but it did have a certain hammy charm (mostly supplied by Jeremy Irons eating the set) to it. I only hope they manage to capture some of that. I have a odd fondness for silly fantasy stuff.

The 2000 movie wasn't good. But it was a good faith attempt to create an actually vibrant and cool looking fantasy world. So I can appreciate its existence.

A reboot could actually be cool if they really try to succeed where the OG failed and they don't just try to do a Game of Thrones or something

Hmm the original isn't good but god it was gloriously entertaining when ever Jeremy Irons was on screen, a pity like Raul Julia as Bison in the street Street Fighter movie it just wasn't enough to save the rest of the movie from being terrible.

The article is from August, 2015. That's three years ago. There is an IMDB listing for a Dungeons & Dragons movie to come out in 2021, but not much else. It looks more like a combination of hype and hope. That includes a call out on the IMDB page to Joe Manganiello, which has him under writing credits as (screenplay) (rumored).

Jeremy Irons was the only good thing in the original. I was legitimately pissed. There's literally decades of material theycpuld have used. Hell, use the Bloodstone Quartet. A "magnificent seven/seven samurai" style adventure that then spirals into a war against a lich king and even an invasions of the netherworld to destroy the Wand of Orcus. It had everything you want in a hollywood fantasy epic. Huge mass battles as well as small team ones, romance, big flashy effects and crazy locations. Seriously why not that?

Last edited:
I watched the original D&D movie for free. I felt overcharged.

Also, having characters trick a beholder by getting it to look in the opposite direction is really stupid.

Jeremy Irons was great, but he is always great.

D&D movie? You mean the Gamers trilogy? But, that was pretty amusing, and great fun to watch.

But yrah, I hope they take inspiration from that rather than from that crap failure of a Willow/Dragonheart crossover.

Making a "Dungeons and Dragons movie" seems like a really weird thing to do, because dungeons and dragons is a mechanism for creating stories, not a story itself.

You need to have a really solid meta-narrative goal in place in order to pull off "The process of writing and editing a story movie!"

Adapting some of the treasured stories that take place in the worlds created for DnD seems like a much easier target to hit.

I wonder if it's possible to successfully just really lean in to the ultra-modern, high-fantasy stuff and mechanical jankery that the games assume as default. Like, take some inspiration from Knight's Tale, except the exciting pop music is actually the party bard wailing away on his magic lute. Have nobody understand how gold works; the warrior in European platemail is running around with a katana; the wizard casts three flashy spells then declares he needs to take a long nap to recover his senses; the thief complains constantly about being his job being deprecated by the cleric asking his god nicely to circumvent obstacles.

Making a "Dungeons and Dragons movie" seems like a really weird thing to do, because dungeons and dragons is a mechanism for creating stories, not a story itself.
It can be done well, if they tell the story of the players at the table, and their characters in game. It could be done with a Curse of Strahd, or Tomb of Annihilation as the setting.

And the characters doing that stuff about asking for a short rest, or a long rest, with the bard getting away with having an electric guitar.

Last edited:
It can be done well, if they tell the story of the players at the table, and their characters in game. It could be done with a Curse of Strahd, or Tomb of Annihilation as the setting.

And the characters doing that stuff about asking for a short rest, or a long rest, with the bard getting away with having an electric guitar.
The only proper beginning for a D&D movie is a bunch of kids getting on a roller coaster and then being given missions by a tiny bald man.

I'd be okay with it if they don't decide to make the main character a Generic White Guy Rogue or Bard, and if they don't also have a Generic comic Relief Black Guy sidekick rogue around.

So while the 2000 movie was bad, it is quite literally one of the most enjoyable movie experiences I ever had, for a variety of reasons.

That said, I hope they do something that's more taking a bunch of DnD elements that fit together and creating a fantasy movie around those. But, you know, competently, rather than whatever happened with the last one.

So at what point did this thing jump ship from Warner Bros. to Paramount? Anyway...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiMinixSXII

Looks fun, but its a lot easier to convey a feeling of fun funny hijinx in a 2 minute trailer featuring a classic song than a 2 hour movie. I'm not saying its necessarily bad it has some good elements, I like all the little nods that make this very much a D&D adventure but after getting burned on the first suicide Squad movie through deceptive trailers that used classic rock songs I am more than a little hesitant.

So at what point did this thing jump ship from Warner Bros. to Paramount? Anyway...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiMinixSXII

Looks like it has real "So that happened!"/Fantasy Jumanji energy. That it's directed by the guy who did Game Night gives me some hope it won't be a generic four-quadrant genre romp. "We fucked up and now are the only ones who can fix it" is very D&D, though, so props for that.

Honestly I just don't see the point of a D&D adaptation that doesn't include, in some way, people actually playing D&D. Without that element you're left with a pretty average/unremarkable low fantasy adventure. The cast has said the film has a "Princess Bride" feel to it, so maybe there's a late stage Lego Movie twist or something, or it might mean "light on it's feet fantasy that doesn't take itself seriously".

Back