I wonder if Winters "style of control" will push the development of Impulse engines that can deliver higher peaks of acceleration without destroying the ship or liquefying the crew. :D

He's hardware based. That's the little core they're moving around when they put him in the shuttle / in the ship.

We actually have similar problems with some types of evolutionary programs today - they start depending on tiny faults and magnetic interference within the specific chip they evolve on, and when transferred to another chip (even one with the exact same design) they return incorrect results or crash completely. You would need a chip that was identical down to the subatomic level, in the same way you would need an identical brain in order to copy over a human mind.

I remember an anecdote about a piece of evolved code that had a thread running to just add numbers together on a loop for a while, then discarded the final result without ever using it. When the scientists tried to remove that piece of code, the algorithm stopped returning the correct result. When they really dove in and figured it out, they realized that the magnetic field generated by the number addition was actually altering the behavior of other transistors on the chip. When they tried to run the code on another chip (same type of chip, just a different computer), it didn't work until they re-ran the evolution condition for a while. After that, it was still adding numbers together in a loop, but the numbers being added were different.

What Winter can really use with the BRT perception is something he can parry with. A reverse tractor beam, intense if brief energy field that can scatter disruptors, holograms that exist for a split second, or pin-point defense shield like on Macross.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this video at 1:35

The three women are controlling the pin-points that are able to swallow entire missiles. IIRC, I think there were actually miniature worm-holes.

Not true. Trackballs actually offer better fine control than conventional mice once you get used to them. Easier on the wrist too.
I have used a trackball myself, they are quite good.

But you do not want to use a 10cm trackball which seems to need multiple rotations to cover the whole surface of the SDF-1 for something that controls your missile point defense. The fields just move quite slow over the surface of the ship, its insane they even managed to block anything with it.

You want something where the flick of a wrist can put the barrier at the right point...

I have used a trackball myself, they are quite good.

But you do not want to use a 10cm trackball which seems to need multiple rotations to cover the whole surface of the SDF-1 for something that controls your missile point defense. The fields just move quite slow over the surface of the ship, its insane they even managed to block anything with it.

You want something where the flick of a wrist can put the barrier at the right point...

Oh, that's different then. Didn't actually watch the clip.

So, was anyone else listening to the OST from Wrath of Khan while reading this chapter?

... true dat, but wasn't that a not-easily-reproduced accident that they don't want to dig into further for some moral bullshit reason? They may as well clone the entire enterprise crew and retire the rest of starfleet :p
Don't be silly, there's only one Enterprise. Where would they put the rest? That said, couldn't they just experiment with fruit, and then with animals? Don't try it on humans, obviously. And it would still be more moral than the process for creating them.

... true dat, but wasn't that a not-easily-reproduced accident that they don't want to dig into further for some moral bullshit reason? They may as well clone the entire enterprise crew and retire the rest of starfleet :p
That was a hard-to-reproduce accident, yes, but its effect is pretty easily replicable - just maintain your subject's pattern in thereceiving transporter's buffer and repeatedly materialize him/her/it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been thought of and just not acted on for ethical reasons.

Captain Talon stepped off my transporter pad, walking up to Captain Mason, "Captain."

He gave her a nod, "Captain."

Oh thank everything there wasn't more captains around. That could quickly have turned into a comedy sketch.

In any case, she did not look happy.

Higher than normal body temperature, high pulse. Still, she was good at hiding it against anyone not hooked up to the life sign sensors.

I was still bad at telling lies, lots of false positives and such, but base emotions, especially strong ones like anger?

Easy.

And she was pissed.

"That was an... interesting strategy." She said as they left the transporter room, heading towards the captain's ready room, "We didn't expect that."

Mason smiled, "As much as I wish, I can't take credit. Star was the one that came up with and executed the plan."

She raised her eyebrow, "Star?"

"That would be me, Captain Talon." I said, "But I can not take all the credit, the plans was checked and approved by several of the crew."

Captain Talon startled, "Is that the AI?"

Mason nodded, "It is. Star has proved quite an asset so far, it will be interesting to see how it will affect general ship performance when we start preforming real missions."

"I don't like it." She said and shook her head as they walked into his office and he headed over to the replicator to pick up a pair of cups of coffee, "This is a job for people, not machines. What happens if it runs into something it's not able to handle?"

...You do realize I can still hear you, right?

Putting the coffee down, Mason sat down, "Star is a person, just like you and me, Captain Talon. From what I have seen, she is more than capable of handling her duties on this ship."

She? Her?

Oh come on! You too? Maybe I should have picked a name like 'Deathdealer' or 'Dave', Dave is a good name. I could have gone with Dave. I know my voice is more or less neutral but it says right there in my personnel file that I grew up as male in the sim.

Ah, fuck it. Guess some things just come with being a ship. I really don't have the patience to correct everyone.

"It's a calculator. I know the court ruled in the favor of Commander Data, but even then I am not convinced even that was the right ruling. I don't trust it. If I knew from the start that it was this ship we would have the tactical exercise with, I would have not approved the request."

You know, you would think I would be insulted by Captain Talon's comments, but quite frankly, it made it seem like everything was right in the world.

Humans were still humans, no matter what else had happened. I was actually pleasantly surprised not to have run into more organicentrics during my time in the real world. You would think my existence would be rather threatening to them and because of my normally non-human appearance, I would be a easier target than Commander Data.

But then again, I'm sure they existed. I did after all spend basically all my time in Starfleet and not in the general population.

Members of Starfleet did tend to be more open minded.

"Captain Talon." Mason said, "I would thank you for not speaking about a valued member of my crew in such a way. Sandra, you have always been a sore loser, but this is taking the cake."

Taking the cake? Seriously, Captain, that expression was almost old fashioned when I was supposedly alive.

Or was it?

Hmm, I really should start doing comparative research to see what differ from reality and the sim when it comes to that kind of things.

Would be interesting to see how the sim actually matched up to reality back at that time. I already knew that most of the English I learned was not actually English but a combination language used in the Federation.

Kind of explains why it was such a mess in the first place, it comes form about a hundred different worlds.

"Come on, Alex. You couldn't beat me on your own and had to have the computer do it for you, that's all." She said and picked up her cup of coffee.

Oh, just because I wasn't really offended by Captain Talon's comments didn't mean I was going to just let them slide.

When she wasn't looking, I exchanged the coffee in her cup for what I replicated in one of the other replicators using my primary transporter array.

The way she spit the coffee over the desk and Captain Mason was quite satisfying.

"What the hell! It's salt!"

So it should be after a having replicated it with a coffee with that much of sodium chloride in it.

"I do apologize, Captain Talon." I said, "I apparently made a mistake with my replicator. I'm just a calculator so It is only natural there are errors from time to time. Can I get you a new cup?"

Captain Mason looked like he was trying really hard to look like he wasn't laughing at her.

Childish perhaps and I might get in trouble, but what was she going to do? Complain that I pranked her because of her organicentric comments?

Write it up in my fucking file then.

AN// Many thanks to megamiaouh for betaing this section.

Last edited:
That's racist.
Does Starfleet have a HR office equivalent where you can file complaints?
Adama v Cylons made the legal term Toaster.

However recent social movements, such as the Cylons themselves, liberated Borg, and HCLU(Hologram Civil Liberties United) have made headway in arguing against using such terms in legal documents citing it as a form of discrimination by denying the sense of self determination inherent to a person.

The Federation Supreme Court will be hearing arguments for and against later this Federation Year.

Back to Nancy with the weather...

That's racist.
Does Starfleet have a HR office equivalent where you can file complaints?
Are you kidding?

Winter's a Cadet, honorary rank of Starship notwithstanding, while Talon's a Captain.

Don't just throw away such potentially useful blackmail material as your full-sensory recorded memory of her being racist by turning it into the proper authorities without exploiting it to help your career first.

Back