Chapter 28: Purity Level
'Nnngh... huh, an unfamiliar ceiling...?'

That was the first thought that came to her mind as she opened her eyes. She stared at the ceiling for a moment as she tried to recall what happened before she found herself here.

'... That's right! My magic...!?'

She quickly sat up, and then almost curled over as she felt pain in her stomach. It's as if she overstretched herself.

"Ow..."

She rubbed her sides for a bit as she left the bed she lay on and looked around. The place wasn't something she was familiar with. It was a lot wider like she was in a hotel instead of someone's home. There was a lamp, some drawers, and a cabinet with a fine design, and the lights looked obviously brand new.

She was curious about that, but that thought was put on the back of her mind as she was more concerned about something.

"Ugh... that medicine... it crippled my connection to magic!"

She exclaimed in horror. She had a lot of plans for it. Since she got the knowledge from the mysterious voice and those fragmented memories, she wanted to use it to quickly rise from her life. Raise her rank so she could stay at the school semesters, do things without having to move from her seat, or do many things that would make her life so much easier.

And that was quickly snuffed out just because of that medicine.

"What is so wrong with using magic!?" She grumbled under her breath.

She couldn't find anything dangerous in using magic. There were precautions based on her acquired knowledge, but those could easily be ignored as they were just common sense for using any power. Magic couldn't be used in excess, a person shouldn't gather more Mana than they could handle, those types of things.

"... No, I still have some chance. My affinity just got crippled. It's not totally destroyed or something... I can fix this!"

Magic Affinity, just like dormant powers, were already decided since their birth. It had something to do with their magical senses, which were like the five senses but more superstitious. They have something within them that acts as a medium to connect with the greater force or the Aether.

Even with incomplete memories from that unknown memory, she acquired complete recollection of anything that had something to do with magic. So she knew just what these specific senses were, and how they worked and were connected to her physical body.

"Magic is surprisingly tied with the spiritual body. By being one with our mind and soul, we can mess with reality using Mana. The soul was used to interact with magic, and the mind was used to manipulate it. This is how Magic Sensitivity is used."

Magic Sensitivity. It is their way of sensing the mana in their surroundings. By sensing the mana, they can finally decide how they can manipulate it, and form it into something they desire.

This was also tied to Magic Affinity, which was their inborn talent for using magic itself. As she was someone who had the weakest affinity to magic even in her past life, she could barely control the Mana particles even with the full knowledge of how to use it.

By crippling her Magic Affinity, her Magic Sensitivity was also affected. Now even if she tried to use the methods to connect to the greater force, it would take her a lot of time before she succeeded.

'But I can simply recover that!'

She knew now, and she knew there was a way to recover from it. That was simply by regenerating those that had been crippled.

It was rare for magic affinity to recover but it was possible. Her incomplete memories gave her something to compare to, and those were the long-lived races like the elves. There were times when they could damage their magic affinity through misuse of magic, and they needed a long time for it to recover. There were ways to recover it quickly through the use of either magical or divine ingredients.

She simply has to double her magic recovery. She has the power to double everything she has.

She noticed that she had a charge once more due to that warm feeling she could feel from her chest. So she knew that a day had passed, which meant she could double something from her again.

She was just going to do that when she heard the door opening. She looked at the door and saw the familiar blonde girl who gazed at her with a brief look of surprise. That surprised look quickly turned into a bright expression.

"You awake! I thought you going to stay sleeping for awhile!" Selena exclaimed.

'Selena... why is she here?' Aizu was confused, but she decided to greet her back. "Uh... right. Good morning?"

"It's already noon now, you buffoon!" The girl snorted. "Now come. Clean yourself up and get to the living room! Lunch is ready!" The girl quickly said with a scoff before she turned around.

Aizu was still a bit unused with her shift in attitude. One time she was happy, and then the next she was haughty. She just shrugged and was just going to do what she told her when she recalled something.

"Oh right... where am I?"

Selena stopped before she turned to her with a smug expression. "You in my apartment! I'm sure you're impressed!" She crossed her arms and puffed her chest with a proud look.

Aizu could only stare at her in confusion, not knowing why she was in this place.

In the dining room, which looked incredibly gaudy by her standards, there were many human maids (something that was a rarity on these days) who moved and served them their meals on the large table. Along with her were Selena and her mother who spoke to her amicably. She was a bit uncomfortable as she was unused to being talked to by someone she didn't know.

Well, she recognized Selena's mother. That's the one she saved when that Dimensional Breach occurred. She couldn't believe it was this woman.

As they were eating, Selena told her everything about why she was there now. She learned that Selena became her handler. The one who would monitor her due to being a Yellow Case. When she asked what it meant, Selena even with a bit of a grumble explained to her about it, and finally, she learned why a government body decided to confine her.

"Wait, you meant to tell me using Mana is dangerous?" She doesn't believe it at all, mostly due to the knowledge she got from her incomplete memories.

"Of course it is dangerous! It's the First Outside Element! Do you want to use the same energy that the threats of our nation are using?"

She could understand the logic behind that. It was the same power that those magical beasts were using to invade this nation. However, she felt unsatisfied with just that kind of reason now that she had a deep understanding of magic herself.

Before she could even raise her rebuttal though, she stopped as she felt Selena's piercing grim gaze towards her.

"What...?" She would admit, she felt a bit intimidated. This was the first time she saw her looking that grim.

"Promise me you won't use First Outside Element."

"... But..."

"Promise me!"

Her glare made her feel a bit hesitant. She didn't know what was so scary about the use of mana, but she didn't want to argue so she gave up and raised her hands in defeat.

"Fine. I promise."

"Good! You don't even need it anyway..." Selena continued eating after she muttered those under her breath.

Aizu wasn't convinced, but she decided to keep it to herself. She was also unsure about the mysterious memory anyway, so she wanted to research Outside Elements just to be sure.

She heard of cases about some anomalous incidents like suddenly acquiring alien memories or something and causing people's sanity to destabilize. She didn't want to just believe whatever her suddenly acquired memory told her. It still came from an unknown source after all, even though she felt incredibly familiar with it.

'Ugh... just why did the voice in my head suddenly vanish? Just where did they come from?'

That was another thing she was curious about. The disappearance of that beautiful voice within her mind. She wondered what happened to them. She wanted to ask a lot of things from them, but when she woke up from the confinement she couldn't hear them anymore.

She hoped that didn't mean something grim.

"Selena said this is an apartment, but I think it's more apt to call this a hotel..." Aizu muttered under her breath as she sat on the comfortable one-man sofa and opened the laptop that was freely distributed to any residents in this building.

She learned that her phone along with many of her items were broken or lost. Only some were left unscathed like her IDs. Aizu felt it was such a pain, and was grumbling under her breath as she decided to order a new phone on the internet.

'Most of my game saves are on that phone. What a pain... am I going to experience more of this ridiculousness as an Awakened person?'

She thought being awakened would give her an easier life. Now she felt a bit regretful with that naive thought.

She didn't forget to log on to her social media account and quickly PM her brother through it. At the same time, she had decided what to double next.

'She said I shouldn't use magic... but I think it will be useful when I'm in a pinch so just a bit...'

Your magic recovery rate has been doubled!

She decided to recover what was broken to her first. She wanted to at least be capable of recovering her crippled magic affinity before something happened to her. That was when she could double things related to it.

At the same time, she was browsing the net about the outside elements in general, and how they affect people. The very first result she got was rather grim.

"Mutation, personality shifts... turning into an Outsider?" She frowned at that as she clicked on the link about it.

Based on the site she first entered through the results of the search engine, almost every Outside Elements was detrimental to any citizens of Society Sphere. These were already common knowledge so she skimmed through them.

What she read was the effects themselves. The symptoms that people would get when they were exposed to it. What she frequently read was that their Purity Level would become lower. She was curious about the Purity Level so searched for it.

And then finally learned what they meant from the Purity Level.

"Is this why... there are no mana or spirits I can feel in this city?"

Since she got that mysterious memory, she also managed to acquire the method to passively sense or even see Mana or Spirits through her eyes. Though they were lacking in this place. As if they were purged of all of it. Only the mundane scientific elements existed within this nation, not any of these esoteric energies.

"Purity Level is a measurement of a person's lack of exposure to Outside Elements..."

Any Outside Elements that entered this nation were quickly filtered out or purified through different methods. The mundane air that was abundant in this air had properties that turned Outside Elements into oxygen, hydrogen, or even nitrogen. They even have millions of drones out there that actively sucked out anything that couldn't be taken care of by the air of this nation, which have other purposes that weren't elaborated on the site.

Purity seemed to be extremely important to the people of this nation. It considered them a part of this nation so long as they have high Purity Levels. Society Sphere detected any Outsiders through their Purity Level.

Those who used Outside Elements were called Impurities. Depending on how badly the Outside Elements clung to their body, they would be considered Outsiders by the System and they would be dealt with like an Outsider.

'... Wait, doesn't that mean that if I contain a lot of magic, I'll be considered an Outsider!?'

She narrowed her eyes at that new knowledge, a small chill rising on her spine. She contemplated her plans for the future now and shook her head.

'It doesn't matter. Magic is still convenient even as a last resort... I shouldn't just cut it off just because it is illegal...'

Magic has saved her life. That mysterious memory gave her a way to escape her death. She didn't want to just throw it away just because the government prohibited it.

She read about it for a bit more and saw that most cases of Impurities caused these people to either mutate, have shifts in personality, or suddenly go on a rampage as they were possessed by a higher-level Outsider. It was that kind of fear that usage of Outside Elements was strictly monitored.

She was surprised that it wasn't banned outright. Though she didn't see any official stance on why it wasn't banned, she could assume that they did that because they felt they could use it for something else. She doesn't know.

"Selena said I can stay here until my house is repaired. She's the one who offered, so why not?"

With that thought in mind, she decided to relax.

She knew she had to go back to school soon, and it seemed like Selena acted as her handler so she had to be more careful now.

"... Ugh, why does everything have to be so complicated!" She grumbled under her breath.

In a location far away from the city of Sector 254, on the wasteland part of this sector 12,000 km from the city, there was farmland where mostly robots and drones were flying or working. It could be seen that it was a very large farming area, and barely any people lived in this place.

This place was called the North Farmers. A section of Sector 254 that acted as a farm for them. This place was created for the sole reason of having authentic fresh farm harvest. Some rich citizens of Society Sphere were so particular about each part of their daily life, that even food was categorized as whether it was duplicated, synthetic, authentic, etc. This place was made for those specific people who wanted authentic farm-harvested vegetables.

There was a secret place within North Farmers that was disguised as a large barn. There were many supercars or heavily armored trucks parked beside the bar, which was weird enough as it looked like a normal farmer's barn. Within that barn was a secret room that was a teleportation pod to the true underground base somewhere within this Sector 254, that was outside the grid of any intelligent division working for the government.

In this underground base, Eliza Geumhoon sat in a single room with neon lights with a frown on her face. Her expression alone obviously conveyed how unamused she was in her current state.

The door to this room opened and she perked up when she saw it was her grandfather who entered along with his entourage.

"Grandpa! You should do something about this!" She quickly started, and the handsome man even in his fifties simply gave a wry smile at her.

"Before that sweetie, come and follow me. I have something to show you." He said, not even disturbed at how she frowned at his words.

"What's so important about this? I was taken out of the school! Even the city thinks I'm some criminal! Don't they know who I am!?"

"It's fine. You won't think like that soon when I showed you this..." He said as he led her granddaughter through the hallways led by dim neon lights.

Eliza was still frustrated, but she decided to be silent. Her steps were stomps as she followed her grandfather.

They quickly arrived at a room that showed a large panel and many people looking up at it.

"What the...!?"

She was baffled at the contents of the large panel. It was a ranking system just like the one she saw from the school.

"You seem intent on doing the legitimate means so I haven't told you about this. Did you know that being a criminal is more lucrative than following the rules from the Sector Management to rise?" He shook his head. "It's not well-known as the higher echelons don't want the common crowd to learn this twisted game they were playing, but essentially even criminals have their ranking systems. They can also use their infamy to rise to the top."

Eliza gazed intently at the name of his father. He wasn't the top 1, but he was one of the Top 10. Specifically, the Top 3 of the criminal rankings are active in Sector 254. She reached out to it and was surprised when a small panel for her use appeared in front of her.

When she touched it, she quickly acquired the info about her grandfather and all the benefits he got by being the top 3 criminals in this sector.

"Normally you should be active in this line of business for two years with some achievements in your name, but as you're my precious granddaughter, I decided to use one of my favors from the administrators of this nation." He looked at her then. "What do you think? Do you want to follow me on this path? You can get back on those who looked down on you... and I can help you with that."

Eliza's eyes were focused on one part. One of the benefits was the chance to get to a higher sector. A higher sector meant higher benefits. The criminal side has more than the one she saw from those who worked legitimately for it.

She doesn't know how this system works, and how come the government wasn't cracking down on it. Though she doesn't care.

There was one thing inside her mind, and that was to surpass the one who caused her downfall.

"Yes."

Geumhoon Sung smiled after he saw the determination behind the eyes of his granddaughter. Beneath those determination was malice, and a vengeful desire.

Finally done on this chapter. It's a bit of an infodump, or maybe a filler... I don't really know if this truly progress the plot or something...

Anyway I hope you have fun with this story!~

If you have any questions to this story, feel free to ask me.

If you want to support me, you can go to my Kofi account here.

Thank you for reading this!~♪

Last edited:
on the wasteland part of this sector 12,000 km far from the city
Is that 12,000 km figure correct? It seems like it would cause excessive shipping times for the fresh vegetables and there's no apparent reason why it would be more than 400 km - or an overnight trip for a truck or freight train - of the consumers.

Is that 12,000 km figure correct? It seems like it would cause excessive shipping times for the fresh vegetables and there's no apparent reason why it would be more than 400 km - or an overnight trip for a truck or freight train - of the consumers.
Yes, it was an approximation of it but it was close to accurate.

Most of their deliveries or shipments were done by drones, teleportation services, or other high speed services that they have. Most of the time machineries or any mechanical objects were the ones doing the deliveries without any aid by people, so these kind of long distance shipments were done in an instant.

Sorry for double posting, just saying that I ran the whole chapter 28 through grammarly and has recently edited some of it. I hope the chapter became somewhat better...

Not stopping doing things just because they're illegal is generally a bad idea in a surveillance state. Especially when you're already a person of interest.

Man, this girl really needs to start doubling other mental things besides just 'intelligence'. Like, say, common sense. Or self control. Or social influence.

Actually, there's an idea. Could she double the debt that Golden Gal owes her? It's an unconventional asset, but it is certainly an asset. Or maybe just 'connections' would be better. Either way, getting a firm enough grasp on someone else's loyalty that they could be called 'hers' would be a big step.

Gah. The lack of even attempting more abstract doubling is making me very annoyed/eager to see if they work. Worst case she doesn't spend the charge, right? So might as well shoot for some big things just to try.

12,000 km implies that Sector 254 alone is larger than Russia, at least in one dimension. Is it a giant ring around most or all of the lower numbered sectors or something like that?

12,000 km implies that Sector 254 alone is larger than Russia, at least in one dimension. Is it a giant ring around most or all of the lower numbered sectors or something like that?
The whole of Society Sphere were separated by dimensions, each dimensions using technology that could expand space indefinitely. So each Sectors of Society Sphere were ridiculously large.

I'm very sorry for not posting for a long time. I got a lot more busier with my work, so I'm really sorry...

I'm halfway finished with the next chapter, and while I don't know if it will be interesting, I hope you enjoy it if I ever upload it.

I'm still unsure when I can update this story because I still have to check the chapter after I am done writing it so I can take care of any mistakes I might find in it, though I hope I can write it at least before November comes.

Sorry again and I hope you understand...

Back