Digging Up Problems (IC Thread)

[I'll stay and guard Vex, you or Key are probably the fastest messengers,] Spellblade sends. [Pity we don't have a comm link to that group, bit of an oversight there.]

[I really don't think leaving you alone is a good idea], Pandora stops herself from saying, then turns to see what the others are going to do-. "Oh, right. Telepathy. Ignore that, I have no idea what I'm doing."

[I'll be fine Sky. I've got you three boosting my powers, and you can yell at the fairies to come back me up. But once I start accessing the other installation I've got no idea how long it'll take, or what they'll be able to do while I'm in.]

[I'll stay and guard Vex, you or Key are probably the fastest messengers,] Spellblade sends. [Pity we don't have a comm link to that group, bit of an oversight there.]

[Don't even think about it Spade. I've got no idea what they're walking into, Val and her group could need all the back up they can get and I refuse to take chances. Just send a few fairies over and I'll come in after you once I've got control of that installation's teleporter.]

Last edited:
[I'll be fine Sky. I've got you three boosting my powers, and you can yell at the fairies to come back me up. But once I start accessing the other installation I've got no idea how long it'll take, or what they'll be able to do while I'm in.]

[Don't even think about it Spade, I've got no idea what they're walking into Val and her group could need all the back up they can get and I refuse to take chances. Just send a few fairies over and I'll come in after you once I've got control of that installation's teleporter.]
[I can wait.]

Spellblade shoots Vex an annoyed glance. [They certainly can, because they're going to be waiting until they get the message from Sky or Key anyway.] Strolling over to the wall, she leans against it casually. [Honestly, why are you so insistent on being left alone here?]

Spellblade shoots Vex an annoyed glance. [They certainly can, because they're going to be waiting until they get the message from Sky or Key anyway.] Strolling over to the wall, she leans against it casually. [Honestly, why are you so insistent on being left alone here?]

Vex gives Spellblade A Look as she answers.
[I'm not, I'm insistent on making sure as much firepower lands at that base as possible, and then making sure I can bring you all back if the teleporter works, or lead a rescue to you if the other guy can fry it on the way out. And speaking of which, said other guy is doing something at the base, and I have no way of knowing what they're doing until I start taking over, something that I'll have to do remotely, which just so you know, I have never done before, and in fact, didn't even know I could do until now. So go, send some fairies back here, and let's do our damn jobs. Now please.]

Last edited:
[Actually, I'm going to side with Vex on this one. We're all going into an unknown situation, so having the whole group together will be helpful.] Liz paused for a moment before looking at Vex, [On the other hand, Spell's also kind of got a point. How do we know something big and mean isn't going to come through that teleporter once you turn it on? You might need the back up just in case.]

Pandora tenses slightly, eyes flicking between the others as they argue. That said... [Wait, wait, wait. I can carry a message, but I am not up for something that suicidal.]

[Actually, I'm going to side with Vex on this one. We're all going into an unknown situation, so having the whole group together will be helpful.] Liz paused for a moment before looking at Vex, [On the other hand, Spell's also kind of got a point. How do we know something big and mean isn't going to come through that teleporter once you turn it on? You might need the back up just in case.]

[I don't, that's why I want everyone over there when I switch it on. And don't tell any of them, but I also don't trust all of the fairies. Something feels off here.]

Pandora tenses slightly, eyes flicking between the others as they argue. That said... [Wait, wait, wait. I can carry a message, but I am not up for something that suicidal.]

[I'm not going to ask anyone to jump over without everyone else watching their back. If the others don't want to jump then I can just switch our teleporter on and lock it to another location then try and jack into the enemy base. I don't know how effective I'll be without boots on the ground to deal with any non-tech problems, but it is an option.]

Spellblade shoots Vex an annoyed glance. Strolling over to the wall, she leans against it casually.
Vex gives Spellblade A Look.
Liz paused for a moment before looking at Vex.
Pandora tenses slightly, eyes flicking between the others as they argue.

Melia watches the others move and look at each other, before narrowing her eyes as she seems to come to a realization, "You all are having a conversation aren't you. Did something happen when Vex plugged in?"

Melia watches the others move and look at each other, before narrowing her eyes as she seems to come to a realization, "You all are having a conversation aren't you. Did something happen when Vex plugged in?"
"Yes. There's a hostile force doing something on the other side of the teleporter. Vex wants us to go talk to the others about invading their base. I'm not that suicidal and we don't want to leave Vex here without backup, but she's insisting we all join the others for the raid," Pandora recites, trying to keep her irritation concealed. It wasn't Bond's fault, after all.

[I'm not going to ask anyone to jump over without everyone else watching their back. If the others don't want to jump then I can just switch our teleporter on and lock it to another location then try and jack into the enemy base. I don't know how effective I'll be without boots on the ground to deal with any non-tech problems, but it is an option.]
Then she turns back to Vex, speaking reluctantly, but aloud for Melia's benefit, "I can go act as a relay, and see what they think, but no plan fast enough we need to rush now is going to convince me to go through."

Last edited:
Vex scratches the back of her neck awkwardly, then gives a sheepish smile.
[Can one of you please tell her I'm sorry.]

Then she turns back to Vex, speaking reluctantly, but aloud for Melia's benefit, "I can go act as a relay, and see what they think, but no plan fast enough we need to rush now is going to convince me to go through."

Vex turns to her.
[Fine, and... look I'm sorry. I don't know as much as I want to about what's going on here and it's making me jumpy. I'm not going to force you to jump head first into hell, but whatever we decide, we should do it before whoever's in the other base figures out I'm here. If they had to figure this out the hard way, they might know a lot more than me about how these places work.]

Vex scratches the back of her neck awkwardly, then gives a sheepish smile.
[Can one of you please tell her I'm sorry.]

Vex turns to her.
[Fine, and... look I'm sorry. I don't know as much as I want to about what's going on here and it's making me jumpy. I'm not going to force you to jump head first into hell, but whatever we decide, we should do it before whoever's in the other base figures out I'm here. If they had to figure this out the hard way, they might know a lot more than me about how these places work.]
"Vex apologizes for the silent conversation, by the way."

"That's fair. I'll go act as a relay now, at least." Pandora hesitates, throwing a last glance at her more reliable allies, then turns to leave.

As Spellblade's group was talking the area where Phantom Gale, Counting Shouts, and Avalanche were present experience an event.

The air above the intact circle shimmered, then a pop of air as a portal appeared in mid air. The other side is darker than the light-bead-illuminated wall had been, but glints of light show from a small horde of creatures. Three leap through the portal in a heartbeat. Almost as quickly as they pass through two things happen. The portal changes from crystal clear to a distortion in mid air, and Counting Shots flings her prepared grenade at the lead bug.

Perhaps the insectoid quadrupeds let out a warbling cry, if they did it was lost in the noise when the leading creature caught the thrown grenade in its mandibles.

{Explosive Surprise: 150 Base Damage, +102 Dice = 252 Total Damage

Spiky Bug Critter: 100 Base Resilience, no dice, -9999 Don't Catch Grenades With Your Mouth, -10 Weak to Exploit Effects = 9909 Extra Damage

252 + 9909 = 10161 End Damage

Spiky Bug Critter: 1250 - 10161 = -8911 Health}

The mass of ooze and pulverized chitin that used to be the top half of the lead bug does little damage to the other two creatures. It does, however, halt their charge. Something that will bodes ill for the pair, as quick as they were for 160 centimeters of height it hardly compares to the speed of either Phantom Gale or Avalanche.
---

Anyone connected to the controls of the installation has just gotten notice that several systems have been accessed and that the teleport chamber is prepared to accept a portal link.

They all knew it was coming. Olivia shudders for just a moment as the crawlies come through, and then the first already explodes.

(2 opponents, 2 ApT each.
Peerless Knight: Avalanche ApT at 4 x 3 = 12
8 actions spent on Sprint levels, 4 remain.)

As power surges through her body, she darts forward at breakneck speed. A few metres are bridged before the things can get their bearings. Olivia swings with a grunt.

(Golden Dream: +300 Base Damage, no dice, +200 Horrific Speed Gap, x2 Kingdom = 1,000 Total Damage
1,000 Total Damage + 600 Storied Might = 1,600 Total Damage
Spiky Bug Critter: +100 Base Resilience, no dice, -50 Shell-Shocked = 50 Total Damage Reduction

1,550 Final End Damage
Spiky Bug Critter Health: 1,250 - 1,550 = -300)

Her sword cleaves through chitin and flesh without stopping. A spray of blood follows its arc, turning the blade sort-of visible for a few moments. Olivia's momentum is enough to tackle the two halves aside, her weapon already moving for the final one. But with a glimpse of her allies to the left, she rather makes a full half-turn and kicks out. "Think fast!" she calls while the monster goes airborne and flies right at the wall next to Gale.

As Spellblade's group was talking the area where Phantom Gale, Counting Shouts, and Avalanche were present experience an event.

The air above the intact circle shimmered, then a pop of air as a portal appeared in mid air.

Anyone connected to the controls of the installation has just gotten notice that several systems have been accessed and that the teleport chamber is prepared to accept a portal link.
WARNING! Portal link established with hostile controlled installation...

In an instant, Vex is on alert. [We've got a prob-.] Her train of thought is interrupted though by an explosion, one that she doesn't even need the BattleNet to recognize as one of Counting Shots' grenades.

[Come on, we're under attack.] Vex turns and runs down the hallway towards the portal room with railguns deployed.

Full reactivation of digital security authorized...
Installation remote intrusion authorized...
Orders received, beginning attack...
Good luck...

The weird giant bugs were - well okay they all knew something was going to come out and this was way less creepy than some of the ideas running through her head. Especially when Shots blew one of them up, and Avalanche cut another down like they were nothing.

Her new friends were so cool! Wait, did they count as friends yet? She hoped so, but how did you ask something like that?

"Think fast!" she calls while the monster goes airborne and flies right at the wall next to Gale.

Gale's response to incoming giant bug was to instinctively swing her hand to swat it.

The wind copying her motions and ramming into the airborne thing made it probably less silly looking than it would have been otherwise.

(The Four Winds: +150 Base Damage, +109 Dice, x10 Storming Eurus = 2590 Total Damage
Spiky Bug Critter: +100 Base Resilience, no dice, -50 Shell-Shocked = 50 Total Damage Reduction

2540 Final End Damage
Spiky Bug Critter Health: 1250 - 2540 = -1290)

It was much like smashing a bug against a wall except, well much bigger. Ewwww

"...Do we just hang here and swat giant bugs as they come? Not sure going through a portal someone else made is a good idea."

In an instant, Vex is on alert. [We've got a prob-.] Her train of thought is interrupted though by an explosion, one that she doesn't even need the BattleNet to recognize as one of Counting Shots' grenades.

[Come on, we're under attack.] Vex turns and runs down the hallway towards the portal room with railguns deployed.
Pandora sighs, glances at the others, and follows.

Enemy slain by Explosive Surprise
Kill Stacks: 1

Gale's response to incoming giant bug was to instinctively swing her hand to swat it.

The wind copying her motions and ramming into the airborne thing made it probably less silly looking than it would have been otherwise.
It was much like smashing a bug against a wall except, well much bigger. Ewwww

"...Do we just hang here and swat giant bugs as they come? Not sure going through a portal someone else made is a good idea."
"Either that, or wait for someone to investigate the BOOM. Cleanin' house from here in the mean time works. Explosive Surprise." Another grenade drops into her open hand, for more of whatever comes through.

"I mean, they'd never expect us to blitz them back." Olivia threw her companions a confident grin. "Besides, these things are ugly and deserve to be stomped into the ground. Go get the others if you'd rather wait, it's cool. More for me that way!"

So saying, she swiftly approached the portal, fully intent on passing through. If it turned into a wall or something, she would be just fine thanks to magic.

"I mean, they'd never expect us to blitz them back." Olivia threw her companions a confident grin. "Besides, these things are ugly and deserve to be stomped into the ground. Go get the others if you'd rather wait, it's cool. More for me that way!"

So saying, she swiftly approached the portal, fully intent on passing through. If it turned into a wall or something, she would be just fine thanks to magic.

"I mean that's true, but what if they just turn off the portal when we go through?" Gale asked, the breeze picking up as she summoned up more and more air for bug smushing anyways.

"I mean that's true, but what if they just turn off the portal when we go through?" Gale asked, the breeze picking up as she summoned up more and more air for bug smushing anyways.
"Then I guess we'll 'ave a lil adventure exploring til we can get back." Shots will follow after Olivia.

Spellblade gave a little start at the sudden bang from down the hallway, before taking off in the direction of the explosion as fast as she could without compromising her breathing. Which, unfortunately, meant she was barely out the door when Vex blew past her.

"Wait, what-"

"Whelp, shit." Liz grunted before her oversized key-weapon thing flashed into her hand and she quickly scurried after Vex, intending to intercept anything that tried to jump the other girl, while keeping a very firm awareness of where exactly her railguns were pointing.

Despite being unable to hear Vex's warnings, the explosion serves as a clear indicator that something has happened to the other group. With a quick glance at each other, Melia and Hálogi turn and head towards the noise. I wonder if they'll clean things up before we get there again.

Back