Cracking Masquerade, a Dresden Files/MCU Second World War quest

[]No: Write in why, or watch the spirit roast you and feed you to the qilin.
-[]Write In.
Apologies for repeatedly posting, but this is not a trap vote. Even a simple 'I aid others in the defense' will fly as long as you actually do what you're saying you will, and the write-in is suitably written for a spirit that's been in a sort of fugue for a long, long time.

[X]Yes: Accept. Your other action is subsumed into the greater task of hunting a Fallen with the aid of Old Nanjing.

On the one hand, a Fallen could body us casually before we get into the nuance of pissing off Nicky and Nickelheads as a whole. On the other- a Fallen's presence serves no one but the Fallen well. Not in a place of so much impending horror.

You can feel the weight of years and the legacy of the one that lies in state here as you walk under the arches of the golden gates, the meters-thick stone archways that allow entry to the tomb of the Hongwu Emperor. The tomb's gardens and the trees shading the ornate path to the structure itself rustle in the winds of the morning, the bright sun overhead casting shadows that seem almost vigilant as you come.

Statues of tomb guardians line what the Chinese call a 'spirit way', the path to the tomb itself. You pass by the bulky forms of stone lions, magic thick in the air as you pass onwards as if to watch you. You move along the path past trees stripped by the winter, seeming to hang in sorrow at the tidings you bear. You smell the sweet scent of incense burning at the statues of the xiezhi, the beasts that symbolized the Ming Censorate as you walk to the tomb of the dynasty's founder.
Well, here we go.
Yet as you come to the Red Gate, the way is shut. Heavy oak bars the doors, the thick walls and iron-banded doors a stark contrast to the bright, almost cheery red paint and polished brass ornamentation on the gateways.

Well and good, if this is as close as you get - so be it. Nanjing will come, else you'll go elsewhere.
It's time to begin. If we wait, this place will be broken and defiled when the Japanese take it.
The circle takes a long, long time to draw. It's as tight as you know how to make it, lined with the marks for containment and purification that your grandmother used to mention when the whisky was scarce and she felt more sober.
Huh. So Grandma was the mage in the famile.
"I call to the city of Nanjing. I call the capital of the Hongwu Emperor, the city of Zheng He, the ancient fortress of the Song. I call upon the guardian and watcher of the walls upon the Qinhuai." The air seems to twist crazily to the Sight, energy madly coalescing and reforming as you watch, flickers of flame curling in the circle.

"I call to thee, city of China, at the time of your peril. Come forth." Ceremonial Mandarin feels foreign and alien on your tongue, the words coming forth in a tumble as you struggle to bring it out. Shadows dance on the stone pathway and the sun seems to dim as there's suddenly a presence in the circle.
YES! Our accent is fucking horrible, like most Americans, but we did it!
A shadow edged with red curls like thick smoke in the circle, eyes the color of brass winking at you from six feet off the ground as a deep basso rumbles out questions that you'll answer - or you'll die. Magic masses thick on the ground here, and the circle's outer curlicues seem to spark a little as you watch. When the little god speaks, your eyes cannot turn away and your throat is dry as parchment, "Speak, little caller of the blood of the eastern rebels. Speak, lest I crush you for your presumption."

Formal Mandarin once more comes forth slowly as you pick your words, explaining America to a city's genius loci that's older than the kingdoms of Europe. "They are of my blood yet not of my nation, spirit of Nanjing. They are an empire on the rise, arrogant and brutal in their assumptions as they march through China."

"Yet they will pass as the Mongols once did. China will endure."

Maybe, but you can't really argue with that sheer apathy. There's another tack though, one that seems to flow easier as you speak, "They will leave little of what China once was. They will leave little of what China now holds. They will not rule here, nor will they stay."
And they don't even have the manpower or logistics to conquer China. What they'll have in a couple years is as far as they'll go, and they will be forced to keep many of their units back among that territory rather than on a frontline.
"Speak on." Attention pins you in place, the qilin near the gates seeming to rumble in concert with the city's spirit.

So speak on you do, Californian accent and formal Mandarin mingling together before the tomb of the Hongwu Emperor. "They come to loot, they come for trophies." You spread your arms theatrically, the heavy weight of the rifle in one hand, "What better trophy than China?"

"You wish to fight them, those of your blood?"

"Not of my nation." You shake your head firmly, "This I swear on what power I have, they are not and will not be my nation."
Hm. If we do something more symbolic to renounce Japan, we may up what rapport we have.
"Perhaps." The spirit considers this, watching you from the curling smoke as the qilin stare. "Yet I cannot be sure. For six thousand years I have watched Nanjing. For six thousand years I have seen governors, kings, and emperors rule this land. For all that time I have guarded the people of the Emperor, killed the risen dead and banished the western fey. In service to the greater rule of heaven and the balance of the land."

It pauses and sweeps an armlike assemblage of smoke towards the north, towards Beijing. "Yet there is no Emperor now. There is no mandate. There is no one China, merely puppets of other powers."

A leering skull comes forth from the smoke, qilin growling hungrily as sheer unadulterated power presses you in place and freezes your arm before it can go for your pistol. "So tell me, little caller, why must I defend this place, where my people have abandoned their Emperor? Why do you call me near the tomb of a man too great for this age, seeking aid for a witless fool against eastern dwarfs?"
So this god's fucked up vampires, told Mab to BEGONE THOT, and generally been the head of the local Celestial Bureaucracy.

But without an Emperor to accept the Mandate of Heaven, there is no command. It's the Three Kingdoms all over again. Also, badass skull-dude.
"Aid for the land you served and the balance you kept, mighty one." Speaking is difficult, the air cloying and a dry throat interrupting your words as they come forth, "For the sake of what once was if not for what will be. For six thousand years you watched, and did your people not slip on that long road? When a child falls on its journey you don't abandon it. You don't leave it to die."

"Aid in the spirit of what once was." The words are heavy in the air, the skull seeming to fade a little
While this is a short-term mission in a short-term quest, we may want to go full Hearts Of Iron 4 and get the legitimate Emperor to overthrow his Japanese masters.
"There are foreign spirits with the foe, standing before my walls. There are western spirits here in the city itself, trespassers in lands that are mine. You wish for aid, little caller? You shall have it, but you will aid me in cleaning my city of the filth that infests it."
I FUCKING KNEW IT! They fucked up big time! They brought Japanese spirits where they are especially weak and vulnerable.
Quick disclaimer: aside from google most of my understanding of Japanese Shinto mythology comes from Covered In Blood and Surrounded By Spirits.
Obviously not very authoritative, but as far as establishing a 'narrative' to the internal mythology of Shinto, I think it's close enough.

Now, there's one thing to establish as important: Good and Evil is related but separate from Purity and Impurity. The second thing is that the Kami of Shinto operate on similar to what we worked with for the God of Nanjing. Each Kami has a domain, an area of the land it is tied to through a shrine. By offerings akin to taxes from a Lord and the benedictions of priests and Shrine Maidens, the land is made fertile and natural disasters averted. While there are spirits who haunt roads and many different demons that live in the mountains, that is the basic narrative concit of Japan's mystical world writ large. It is a wholly unique and pure land created by Amaterasu, a

What this all means for us here in China is twofold: One, any Kami away from its territory is weakened, and needs to be reconsecrated. So if any Kami are here, then the Japanese are attempting to literally turn China into Japanese soil. Two, any demons/spirits, Youkai in other words, that they do bring are not so easily land-locked or the method of taming them is well-known. The most obvious candidate for what's outside is an Oni. Standing over eight feet tall, devouring humans and livestock, love to get utterly plastered, and exist to torment the living. But make no mistake, they are the finest soldiers of hell, and their clubs are incredibly lethal. Odds are, there are no Blue Oni among their number.

The other likley candidates are Tengu and Kappa. Kappa are less dangerous but are easy to recruit and suited for the battlefield. A Kappa you beat by making it bow to pour out the water on its head or out-wrestling it. They'll suck out your soul or drown you, but they're rigidly formal and so not hard to beat. Tengu are originally Buddist Demons, made of knowledgeable devotees who became too proud to pass on. Yet by the 14th century, they became more associated with martial arts. It is claimed they taught the Koga and Iga clans the art of the Shinobi, are the teachers of the finest swordsmen and swordswomen in Japan, and even magical guns that never miss. The only saving grace is that Tengu are sometimes portrayed as being very stupid, outwitted by simple yet clever humans.
"Filth?" You gape a little, the sudden turn to dark amusement and anticipation a stark contrast to your imminent death.

"It calls itself an angel." A chuckle from the city's ancient god, "I believe the White God needs to learn some manners, for its refuse has infested my land."
... please tell me we're not dealing with a Denarian.

[X]No: Write in why, or watch the spirit roast you and feed you to the qilin.
-[]Write In. There is no guarantee the angered spirit will agree with your worldview and certainly will not hesitate to aggress everyone not of his dynasty's noble family tree. This matters for the mission will fail if your team is responsible for starting an apartheid of spiritual proportions in a city that Soviets, Japan and any lingering warlords all want to claim relatively intact. Attacking the current occupiers would cause a retaliatory massacre.

It's a Dresden Files crossover. It was inevitable, though I admit I didn't expect it so soon.
Frankly they're a bigger deal than the super-soldier project. Basically rendering anything we do in the city not only pointless but risking drawing its attention. That said, if it's just a run-of-the-mill Fallen it's more manageable.

[X]No: Write in why, or watch the spirit roast you and feed you to the qilin.
-[X] Better to set foe against foe, as China had done to many a barbarian when it was whole. At the end of the day, they must both be gone, but should they be turned against each other, China and Nanking will profit.

[X]Yes: Accept. Your other action is subsumed into the greater task of hunting a Fallen with the aid of Old Nanjing.

Defeating a Denarian is a bigger deal than anything we are officially assigned to do. We should do it for the good of everyone. Its time to be the Big Damn Hero people.

Frankly they're a bigger deal than the super-soldier project. Basically rendering anything we do in the city not only pointless but risking drawing its attention. That said, if it's just a run-of-the-mill Fallen it's more manageable.
Yep, but on the other hand the old god of the city has woken up. A genius loci like this one is far, far more of a threat to an unprepared Denarian than anything else in province. It doesn't want you for fighting, it can handle that with ease. It wants you for ceremony. Which I will say can still be dangerous.

If you guys feel this is too much this early, let me know. We're all here to have fun, and I can tone it down a notch if a Denarian is a big issue. Seriously, I have no issues retconning it a little.
This development feels like every one-shot tabletop campaign I've had where the goal wasn't to test the mechanics or introduce new people: Take it to eleven right out of the game with pre-genned characters and just see where it all blows up. It's not meant to be taken with a lick of seriousness, the balance is nonexistent, and half the fun is supposed to be in seeing how you get fucked.

Here's the thing: You don't beat a Denarian. Not really.

They're not just obscenely hard to kill in terms of durability and regeneration. They don't just immediately tempt whoever kills them and doesn't have the blessed silver cloth that doesn't actually work. They don't just have insane combat capability. In Dresden's own words, they know every trick in the book. They're older that the universe. Only entities like Mab, Hades, and Ivy even have a shot at restraining them, and given they've broken the Unseelie Accords and continue to persist that whole thing's been put into doubt. So how is this supposed to be a side quest? And frankly, if this is just a side mission, what the fuck kind of bullshit did you come up with for the IJA super-soldiers?
That's why the city god is there. You have a chance of dying, but a decent chance of survival. Outright winning is slim (meaning one in five or so), I will admit, but surviving unscathed is not that hard.
... maybe we're talking past each other here, but if this isn't a "win", we still die. If the Denarian, the actual Fallen Angel itself, isn't killed, it's not just going to run from China with its tail between its legs. It'll just camp outside the city, if not outright ally with the IJA or call other backup, and get its revenge the moment we set foot outside. The God of Nanjing is not The Archive. The God of Nanjing isn't Hades. And they sure as hell aren't Mab. In my opinion as a storyteller, you've escalated your original plans out of the picture and only have one last chapter to write before calling this a grand mistake.

If you really, really feel like bringing in a Denarian is worthwhile, I'd say you should restart the vote and make sure everybody knows the odds and just what kind of enemy we're fighting. Because I am very skeptical of how many people were on board with "20% chance to not die" fight as opposed to just a run of the mill Fallen Angel.

Last edited:
If you really, really feel like bringing in a Denarian is worthwhile, I'd say you should restart the vote and make sure everybody knows the odds and just what kind of enemy we're fighting. Because I am very skeptical of how many people were on board with "20% chance to not die" fight as opposed to just a run of the mill Fallen Angel.
Fair enough. Let's call it a run of the mill Fallen, then? I don't think I've explicitly mentioned Denarian in the update, so let's call this one a (Fallen) demon-warlock combo. The Fallen and its caller, essentially.
Edit: There is a Warden here, so warlocks will have company.

Let's call it a run of the mill Fallen, then? I don't think I've explicitly mentioned Denarian in the update
Thank you for agreeing, I do appreciate it.
so let's call this one a (Fallen) demon-warlock combo. The Fallen and its caller, essentially.
Now that is an interesting narrative development. We know there's a significant Christian Mission in the city, and in general the city's desperate for safety, a way to stop the IJA. There's no shortage of people foreign or Chinese who'd sign a deal with the devil to protect what they care about. And given a Warden's been tracking this asshat down, maybe this is even their 'get out of death' gambit.
Edit: There is a Warden here, so warlocks will have company.
Which brings me to my vote. Considering this:
There's a Warden in town, and before you mess around with the city's defenses you ought to talk to him - lest he come after you with a blade in hand and thunder at his call.
throwing the action away is just retconning the earlier vote. It almost seems like the kind of thing we'd bring up automatically. 'Oh, do you want to involve The White Council Warden? He's looking for threats like that, and would notice our fight.'

If we say we want to bring an expert in to try and axe this Fallen, is the spirit going to try and back out of the deal? What would we be getting in exchange for taking a handicap over the spirit's pride?

If we say we want to bring an expert in to try and axe this Fallen, is the spirit going to try and back out of the deal? What would we be getting in exchange for taking a handicap over the spirit's pride?
He isn't going to like it. As far as he's concerned, they're all trespassers, some cleaner than others. Nanjing needs no others to keep its peace and all that. You'll have the chance to involve him later on once you find him - you IC don't know he's hunting the warlock and you don't want to involve him with no proof (you're a non-council wizard who's fucking with ancient spirits and American intelligence, that won't endear a Warden). If you get the chance, you need to persuade the city to allow it rather than erase the warlock and his demon with due ceremony.
Remember, Wardens have a reputation more as head-takers than law enforcement thanks to the terrible outreach of the Council (I think this is mentioned in the books obliquely), and you IC will not run to the Warden without either a Council member to vouch or a damn good cause.

This development feels like every one-shot tabletop campaign I've had where the goal wasn't to test the mechanics or introduce new people: Take it to eleven right out of the game with pre-genned characters and just see where it all blows up. It's not meant to be taken with a lick of seriousness, the balance is nonexistent, and half the fun is supposed to be in seeing how you get fucked.

Here's the thing: You don't beat a Denarian. Not really.

They're not just obscenely hard to kill in terms of durability and regeneration. They don't just immediately tempt whoever kills them and doesn't have the blessed silver cloth that doesn't actually work. They don't just have insane combat capability. In Dresden's own words, they know every trick in the book. They're older that the universe. Only entities like Mab, Hades, and Ivy even have a shot at restraining them, and given they've broken the Unseelie Accords and continue to persist that whole thing's been put into doubt. So how is this supposed to be a side quest? And frankly, if this is just a side mission, what the fuck kind of bullshit did you come up with for the IJA super-soldiers?

... maybe we're talking past each other here, but if this isn't a "win", we still die. If the Denarian, the actual Fallen Angel itself, isn't killed, it's not just going to run from China with its tail between its legs. It'll just camp outside the city, if not outright ally with the IJA or call other backup, and get its revenge the moment we set foot outside. The God of Nanjing is not The Archive. The God of Nanjing isn't Hades. And they sure as hell aren't Mab. In my opinion as a storyteller, you've escalated your original plans out of the picture and only have one last chapter to write before calling this a grand mistake.

Do note a Genius Loci on its own turf can punch on the scale of Angels though. Nanking has a LOT of momentum behind it

Right, next question: What's he going to do when said Head-taker comes in like a competent Elmer Fudd once the ceremony is done and the Warden notices the big magical dust-up?
That's the fun part. I'm clamming up there, there's a lot to take from the books for that sort of thing. Nonviolent resolution is indeed almost certain, just the sort of dialogue and negotiation is the fun part.

Interlude: Primoriye, December 1937
Primoriye, December 1937

The skies are gray and the surroundings are white with snow and winter camouflage as aircraft buzz overhead. Bunkers strung across the landscape face west to Manchuria, and it is here that Elena Karimova flies past the Japanese border guards.

There aren't all that many, the Kwantung Army having its reserves depleted for the China campaign and the border cordon drawn thin. What forces are free in Manchuria are busy staring down Blyukher near Vladivostok, not here in the wilderness along the Amur.

It takes mere minutes for the Tupolev to cross the border forts, flying high above the lines with no interception. The TB-3 drones west before abruptly swinging around as its loading ramp comes down into a howling cold wind, the jumpmaster shouting to go, go, go. Go she does, running off the ramp and diving into the bitter winds of Manchuria's skies while the Red Air Force tries to get its bomber home before the IJA comes in.

The black parachute comes out like clockwork, arresting her fall and dropping her somewhere near a village. A farming village, judging by the terrain and the buildings.

From there on out, it's straight to the objective and straight out, the green flares going up from the border guards signalling successful infiltration. No Kwantung personnel the wiser.

Elena Karimova, NKVD assassin, is now in Manchukuo with a doctor to kill.

AN: As an apology for the slight clusterfuck on the vote (which is still open by the way), have some OOC knowledge.

Last edited:
Do note a Genius Loci on its own turf can punch on the scale of Angels though. Nanking has a LOT of momentum behind it
Given we're doing a Mook Angel I am much more willing to give that a nod. I don't think he's at Demonreach levels, but it's a matchup
That's the fun part. I'm clamming up there, there's a lot to take from the books for that sort of thing. Nonviolent resolution is indeed almost certain, just the sort of dialogue and negotiation is the fun part.
Oh good. A reasonable Warden and the God of Nanjing won't just let us get ganked the moment we've done our job. That's everything I could reasonably hope for.
It takes mere minutes for the Tupolev to cross the border forts, flying high above the lines with no interception. The TB-3 drones west before abruptly swinging around as its loading ramp comes down into a howling cold wind, the jumpmaster shouting to go, go, go. Go she does, running off the ramp and diving into the bitter winds of Manchuria's skies while the Red Air Force tries to get its bomber home before the IJA comes in.
Nerd nitpick: The TB-3 does not have a loading ramp. There isn't even a bomb bay, they're all mounted externally on shackles.
The black parachute comes out like clockwork, arresting her fall and dropping her somewhere near a village. A farming village, judging by the terrain and the buildings.

From there on out, it's straight to the objective and straight out, the green flares going up from the border guards signalling successful infiltration. No Kwantung personnel the wiser.

Elena Karimov, NKVD assassin, is now in Manchukuo with a doctor to kill.
Oh look, someone else predicted the Soviets would have an easy time getting into the AO, and here we are. Still, someone who might be willing to help us... assuming they're not still mad about the Polar Bear Expedition.

Back