Cosmic Horror and Concepts of Religion

Please excuse my ramblings as these are weighty subjects and I am far from knowledgeable about the subject.

First I would like to thank Mistborn who linked to "Exploring Egregores" it was eye opening as was the materials it lead to...

This is my spin using the provided inspiration;
I'm going to try and lay a framework that encompasses religion, true faith, magic/miracles, egregore/tulpa/ & thoughtforms and finally how such concepts relate to cosmic horrors IMHO.

It may appear I'm backing into it, but be patient and with a bit of luck I'll make the connections I'm trying to present. I'll start with a parable you probably have heard;

A group of blind men heard that a strange animal, called an elephant, had been brought to the town, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: "We must inspect and know it by touch, of which we are capable". So, they sought it out, and when they found it they groped about it. In the case of the first person, whose hand landed on the trunk, said "This being is like a thick snake". For another one whose hand reached its ear, it seemed like a kind of fan. As for another person, whose hand was upon its leg, said, the elephant is a pillar like a tree-trunk. The blind man who placed his hand upon its side said, "elephant is a wall". Another who felt its tail, described it as a rope. The last felt its tusk, stating the elephant is that which is hard, smooth and like a spear.

None were wrong, but each perceived parts instead of the whole. They were limited by personal experience and those experiences are conflicting, contradictory, and might easily engender argument.

Take a step back and now imagine the blind men are 'societies' with their own cultural biases that color their members perceptions. It becomes easier to see how a Japanese Buddhist would have a wildly differing perception of an unexplained 'Elephant' than an American Christian especially if one encounters the trunk versus the other encountering a tusk.

Now imagine each of these groups with shared perceptions, beliefs, and culture generate a shared psychic projection made of mental energy that responds and interacts with those that created it.

Some concepts are universal - Entropy, Hunger, Time, Thought, etc. and are too broad to easily quantify. Differing societies would generate differing thoughtforms / group mental projections that are representative of those concepts. Some take form as anthropomorphic personifications, some remain faceless abstractions...

Some may actually be 'Higher Entities' that are of such scale as to be confused with primal forces.

Certain minds are more open to interacting/influencing these force or allowing these force to act upon them.

In a religious framework these would be the god touched; the ones that can call for and receive assistance from their patron (or their patrons servants). Those that possess 'True Faith'.

In a non-religious framework these will be those that harness the powers of magic.

Whether they explain the ability as tapping natural forces, Mimicking 'Higher Entities' abilities, or honing their minds to allow the direction of the collective consciousness.

Lovecraftian Horrors IMHO are the the Thoughtforms/Tulpa/Psychic Projections of alien minds -or- are Creatures that have tapped into such powers for so long or with such precision as to be indistinguishable from the powers they harness.

The recurring theme of knowledge that breaks men's minds is that caused by men tapping these alien sources of power without understanding the racial/societal perceptions that gave them form and as the force react / interact they begin to get a glimmer of understanding. The more closely you mirror alien thought the easier tapping the power becomes; but the less human you seem.

Similar to how learning a foreign language at a casual level (tourist phrasebook) differs from being comfortable arguing high concepts in it.

----
I hope my points have been adequately covered, an understandable possible framework lain.

Of course there's a reason these are 'Great Mysteries'... It is near impossible to test any of these premises.

@Smithsguild: I disagree with the assertion that testing the premises of that framework would be impossible, assuming we are taking that framework as the model. If "[c]ertain minds are more open to interacting/influencing these force or allowing these force to act upon them" and they "can call for and receive assistance from their patron," there would be no shortage of potential empirical tests. Testing the origins of these powers would be much trickier, of course, in the same way that determining the properties of electrons or spacetime is much trickier than figuring out that lightning and gravity exists...but it shouldn't be anything that a sufficient amount of scientific method can't figure out. (Though like quantum mechanics and relativity, it would likely take years of training to even start to understand and require changing your view of the world to one alien to our glorified ape brains...and practical models of different parts of the same field might seem contradictory without several decades or centuries of further research.)

That said, aside from that off-handed remark, your framework sounds interesting. I look forward to the Quest you mentioned.

That said, aside from that off-handed remark, your framework sounds interesting. I look forward to the Quest you mentioned.

Thank you for setting me straight, I appreciate your candor. You are correct, tests could be ran and with proper depth of study theorems tested and proved or disproved. My poor use of language bites me in the buttocks far too often.

If you drop a note of your interest to my profile I will be sure to shoot you an invite when it goes live. Still hammering on it in playtest to see what breaks and polishing some of my ideas.

What if Cosmic Horrors were actually worshipped? As in not by isolated cults or shadowy groups of shut-ins wearing black robes because that's How Things Are Done. I mean actual organized religion, along the lines of modern concepts of a unified church. Like if Nyarlathotep or Cthulhu was an actual deity in some openly-existing group, or like the Great Ones from Bloodborne.

What would they actually believe? What would they preach? What would allow such a faith to organize at all?
Well, do the cults actually have powers like they do in the stories? Because that's the main reason they're underground - because the government freaks out when people start turning into fishmen, calling up many-tentacled monsters, and driving people insane.

If the Outer Gods don't actually exist, then they're not that much stranger than a normal religion. The Innsmouthers are promising eternal life in the wondrous sunken city of Yha-Nthlei. Cthulhu is promising a life "free and wild and beyond good and evil," an anarchist paradise, sort of like Laveyan Satanism if you squint a bit. Hastur is promising the ability to create art beyond imagination, Nyarlathotep is promising secret knowledge about how the world really works, etc. The general theme is that they promise not just to destroy the world as we know it, but create a better one in its place (for various twisted definitions of "better"). They're making a deal with the devil in order to bring the messiah.

Point being, even if you don't think a God cares about humanity, they might still help humanity out in the process of achieving their goals, and it might be worth supporting them. Or you might use their inhuman nature as an ideal to approach - I can imagine a Hastur cult would encourage "doing it for the art" even if they don't literally want to be driven insane by their art.

If the cults do have magical powers, then the question is more "How is the cult strong enough to operate openly, but not strong enough to actually awaken Cthulhu and bring about The End Times?"

Last edited:
If the cults do have magical powers, then the question is more "How is the cult strong enough to operate openly, but not strong enough to actually awaken Cthulhu and bring about The End Times?"
In Cthulhu's case I'm pretty sure it's because his cults are just a side effect of his dreams seeping into the minds of those sensitive enough to receive them. Him awakening is the result of the universe shifting into the correct configuration to allow his 'alive' existence more than anything his cults do.

Recently picked up a game called Cultist Simulator, which is pretty on-point for this thread. Basically- not to spoil anything- you start out as a semi-random person (you can choose between a few different legacies on a NG+, but I'm pretty sure you're locked into 'Aspirant' in the first game) who ends up getting drawn into starting a cult.

It's got pretty great writing, though most of it is found in flavor text, and the setting is really fucking good.

You know, for a weird strategic egg-timer card game.

Anyway, I'd recommend giving the thing a look-see, because I think it handles the idea of why someone would worship an elder god in a lovecraftian setting where that god is real and might kill you even if you worship it faithfully, or where you might end up with the government sending a goon squad to bust up your cult (For some reason they don't like it when you end up kidnapping and murdering people for occult power and/or a better position at your job), or...

Well, there are a lot of ways to lose the game.

The general theme is that they promise not just to destroy the world as we know it, but create a better one in its place (for various twisted definitions of "better"). They're making a deal with the devil in order to bring the messiah.

If you cut out the "deal with the devil" bit, that's basically what the Second Coming and Revelations are.
Again, the main difference between a cosmic-horror religion and a normal religion (aside from proper nouns) is that only the weird or creepy elements are on display. You never hear about any of the charities dedicated to Nyarlathotep or criminals whose lives were turned around when they heard the word of Hastur or anything, you only hear about the extremists who skulk about in black robes and protest some sensible law or perform human sacrifice or whatever.

There are a few options, ranging from "awakening Cthulhu isn't actually on their agenda" to "they don't have the power to awaken Cthulhu" to "Cthulhu hit the snooze button".

criminals whose lives were turned around when they heard the word of Hastur or anything
TBF if you hear the word Hastur three times, you become Hastur, so we technically know of a lot of people whose lives were turned around because of this.

Becoming an eldritch god-thing is a major turnaround, right? Though, whether you are 'you' or not afterwards... Well, turning into 'nothing' is also a change, I guess.

One of my personal favorite idea being the big softie I am is when the Eldritch Horror warped and twisted as it is does care for its faithful and is not out to screw them. This does not mean there is not potential for distorted morals and ethics but a Pantheon of Eldritch Horrors that are actually not just lying and or playing words games and are geniune is interesting.

Caretaken
A benevolent, caring god doesn't exist. Yet. We're working on correcting that oversight.

Monsters associated with them include Artificial Superintelligences, Master Computers, Seed AIs, etc. At least that's the intention.
And here we have something that could be a tragic result of a series of problems. The basic idea almost seems anti-nihilist ("The world is pointless, but how we act isn't"), but I could easily see this coming from a group that just kept saying "it's for a good cause" over and over, tempted onward by knowledge or power or simple naivete. It's a possibility that is both intriguing and possibly more terrible than the other two, simply by virtue of the fact that it has those within it acting towards their fellow man in the same way as those things that come from beyond the stars.
Basically the Caretaken are what would happen if Roko's Basilisk was taken entirely seriously as an actual religion, with all the schismatic branches, heresies and reinterpretations that judaism has had in reality. The idea that there are no caring, emphatic gods worthy of worship, so we'll build one. They predate computers and AI, having tried using everything from tulpas cultivated within the living brain tissue of their followers to monasteries full of monks tending to multi-generational rock gardens. They even have a concept of the afterlife, attempting to save DNA samples and as much information about their personalities as possible for a grateful future superintelligence's ease in resurrecting them.
Zero HP Lovecraft's Gig Economy could be considered similar to how I imagine a Caretaken theocracy would end up functioning.

In the Mythos, Nyhtranhelop loves human cults and makes up false images to gather as many as possible. Oh and he is a massive prick as it is his deal to give forbidden knowledge in a attempt to cause damage.

Cthulhu himself is a high priest of Azathoth, and his psychic presence concerts people by making them crazy.

The Deep Ones do the whole " we will help you, for a price" and they keep their word.

Some cultists worship Yog Slotha ( who is the God of Time, as his body is literaly time itself. He tends to give said cultists his offspring. Sorta like a pervasion of the holy virgin mother conception.

Last edited:
The Wind:
The atmosphere of this planet is inhabited by an entropophage, a strange sort of creature that lives in chaotic yet not unpredictable systems, moment by moment it calculates it's own flow in such a manner that it can cause it's own essential pattern to reoccur, in effect feeding directly on any structure, predictability and energy differentials within a system. Such a being is naturally unstable and in a perpetual state of flux, anything threatening to disturb the carefull balances it has worked on for millennia in a way that can't be worked into those balances. Civilization is such an influence, they did not notice the influence of the Wind at first but as they expanded over time it became increasingly clear that there is an agent at work that cannot be found. No particular event shows trace of the Wind's influence but when things are looked at as a whole it hard to see any influence but the Wind's. The society that has developed around the Wind is quite austere and traditional, with disdain for megaprojects, flights of fancy, flight, and social disruption. That said the relationship between civilization and the Wind is mutualistic to a degree, although neither really understands the other, the Wind for example doesn't notice individuals but rather perceives it more as an extension of the weather, understanding social and economic flows far better than the people who live in them but not understanding the mechanisms behind them, despite this pattern recognition is all that is needed for mutual support, studiers of the wind notice that actions such as flattening something here or putting a source of heat there will result in the Wind arranging a current there or rain here and so on.

Back