Civilization (Video Game) Leaders: The Good, The Bad and the Huh?

I haven't played that Civ so can't comment on appropriateness of traits and behavior but Gustav II is the only Swedish king ever considered for the epiteth 'the Great', so at least a decent pick.

Last edited:
Boadicea being the leader for all "Celts" is a bit disappointing in Civ 5, considering Celts covers a lot a groups and Boadicea is kind of meh.

To be honest I admit I likely would have gone with Vercingetorix who was the leader of the Gauls revolt against Julius Ceasar or Brennus who famously sacked and occupied Rome a feat that would not happen again for 800 years before being getting annihilated in battle by the exiled roman dicator Marcus Furious Calmillus who liberated Rome from the Gauls.

To be honest I admit I likely would have gone with Vercingetorix who was the leader of the Gauls revolt against Julius Ceasar or Brennus who famously sacked and occupied Rome a feat that would not happen again for 800 years before being getting annihilated in battle by the exiled roman dicator Marcus Furious Calmillus who liberated Rome from the Gauls.
I think multiple leaders would have been better, Celts are simply to general a group with to many figures from Vercingetorix to Brian Boru to Bouda and so on.

Yes though in general I think multiple leaders would have been good for all the civilizations which is something the civilization series has done in the past for some civilizations.

Foreman Domai is a comrade!

Oh, you mean real ones... Honestly, you could do worse than John Curtin for Australia. I mean, could you imagine Tony 'The Mad Monk' Abbott being in charge?

Lenin is a controversial but maybe viable choice. However, for the Chinese, it had Mao. Yes, the man whose sher incompetence killed more people than the Holocaust. Why not just have Hitler as a choice if you're going to use Mao?

Civ4 has Stalin.

Mao may have been incompetent at running the administrative side of a country, mostly because he refused to take advice from people with knowledge about the subject matter, but he was a competent leader of men as can be seen by the success of his revolution. He was also capital to the modern state of China, so including him isn't too shocking.

Modern Civ games tend to shy away from including any controversial leaders though, so it's unlikely we'll see any of that again.

Civ4 has Stalin.

Mao may have been incompetent at running the administrative side of a country, mostly because he refused to take advice from people with knowledge about the subject matter, but he was a competent leader of men as can be seen by the success of his revolution. He was also capital to the modern state of China, so including him isn't too shocking.

Modern Civ games tend to shy away from including any controversial leaders though, so it's unlikely we'll see any of that again.
Quite, Mao is massively important to modern Chinese history and thus it makes perfect sense to include him.

The fact he was also a terrible person from most humanistic moral standards is true but irrelevant to that point.

Quite, Mao is massively important to modern Chinese history and thus it makes perfect sense to include him.

The fact he was also a terrible person from most humanistic moral standards is true but irrelevant to that point.

The same argument could be used for Hitler, but I wager the game wouldn't sell in Germany if they did, whereas Mao wouldn't be a problem anywhere except Taiwan.

The same argument could be used for Hitler, but I wager the game wouldn't sell in Germany if they did, whereas Mao wouldn't be a problem anywhere except Taiwan.
I would point out that the difference is that Mao built the modern Chinese state while Hitler tried his best to destroy the German one, the effects of their rule were rather different. Still you aren't wrong.

But yes ultimately regardless of his importance or lack thereof Fraxis isn't stupid enough to include Hitler, and that doesn't really bother me.

Last edited:
As(h)oka was a good choice for India in Civ IV, I thought. Although his grand-father, Chandragupta, would be nice to see. Just anybody other than Gandhi, at this point.

I haven't played that Civ so can't comment on appropriateness of traits and behavior but Gustav II is the only Swedish king ever considered for the epiteth 'the Great', so at least a decent pick.
Charles XII could also be a good choice.

Surprised that Romania apparently hasn't shown up, they've got a whole slew of potential leaders. Vlad the Impaler's the obvious choice, but there's also Stephen the Great, Michael the Brave, Burebista, Decebalus (if the Dacians aren't far back enough to be considered their own thing), Carol I, Marie Alexandra-Victoria, Elisabeth of Weid/Carmen Sylva, and you get the point.

Back