Christianity at the Tip of a Blade - The Violence or Non-violence of Religion

1 Peter 2:18
Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.
I feel I ought to point out that what Peter is saying here is that Christians need to submit to worldly authorities, which in todays world means none of that sovereign citizen nonsense: you pay your taxes and follow the laws of your nation and show up to work and listen to what your boss says.

Given that no one alive follows these, that they do not count for gentiles and that the New Testament did away with them anyways, I really do not think this is as much as a problem as you seem to think they are.
You know that this is not quite as simple.

The result of the Apostles' Council is of course part of the New Testament itself, but that was basically one faction winning out against another one. That already was politics. Meanwhile, Matthew 5:18:

For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Of course there is the common interpretation that this "all is accomplished" happened on the Cross, but to me that seems like taking a straightforward statement from Jesus and trying to find an escape hatch.

That being said, that is actually the theology of actual Christianity as it happened. Even though Christianity's decision to just ignore the majority of the Law was arbitrary, it was a decision Christianity made. So yes, as for the question on how violent Christianity is, those Old Testament quotes are not really applicable as evidence.

I feel I ought to point out that what Peter is saying here is that Christians need to submit to worldly authorities, which in todays world means none of that sovereign citizen nonsense: you pay your taxes and follow the laws of your nation and show up to work and listen to what your boss says.
No that was actually also a matter of policy in early Christian communities, who had the very real and very pragmatic problem of what to do with escaped slaves joining them, and their masters coming to get them back. Peter wasn't just speaking metaphorically - he was in fact saying a good Christian slave is one who doesn't escape.

No that was actually also a matter of policy in early Christian communities, who had the very real and very pragmatic problem of what to do with escaped slaves joining them, and their masters coming to get them back. Peter wasn't just speaking metaphorically - he was in fact saying a good Christian slave is one who doesn't escape.
That's true (cf Paul sending back to Philemon his runaway slave). The point is that the worldly authority of the slave's master is not overridden by the slave becoming a christian. I'm talking about applying that today.

And so what if no one follows those laws? The debate is whether the religion itself is peaceful not whether or not it can be made peaceful by disregarding half the faith.
Ah okay, so we're not actually discussing Christianity, we're discussing magical spherical Christianity in a featureless, frictionless void utterly separated from what it actually consists of, which is people. You can't discuss a religion in isolation from the people who practice it, no more than I can discuss American cultural attitudes without discussing the people who hold them.

You know that this is not quite as simple.
Sure I do, but I'm so tired of seeing quotes from the Old Testament being mentioned as a "gotcha" that this is my instinctive reaction. These are quotes from literally eight centuries before the birth of Christ, trying to use them as indication of modern Church history, or even medieval or ancient history is cheap sophistry. I'm not interested in making excuses for the Catholic Church for obvious reasons, I'm interested in critique that's actually effective. So yeah, as you stated in the rest of your post, what the Chuch actually did was highly different from the Law as described.

Which is, heh, actually a point of criticism; the Church went against its theology by politicking it away. :V

That's true (cf Paul sending back to Philemon his runaway slave). The point is that the worldly authority of the slave's master is not overridden by the slave becoming a christian. I'm talking about applying that today.
Well, there are still millions of people trapped in what amount to legal slaves in some regions of the world today (debt bondage for instance). So this can very well still be applied by its original meaning.

Ah okay, so we're not actually discussing Christianity, we're discussing magical spherical Christianity in a featureless, frictionless void utterly separated from what it actually consists of, which is people. You can't discuss a religion in isolation from the people who practice it, no more than I can discuss American cultural attitudes without discussing the people who hold them.

Sure I do, but I'm so tired of seeing quotes from the Old Testament being mentioned as a "gotcha" that this is my instinctive reaction. These are quotes from literally eight centuries before the birth of Christ, trying to use them as indication of modern Church history, or even medieval or ancient history is cheap sophistry. I'm not interested in making excuses for the Catholic Church for obvious reasons, I'm interested in critique that's actually effective. So yeah, as you stated in the rest of your post, what the Chuch actually did was highly different from the Law as described.

Which is, heh, actually a point of criticism; the Church went against its theology by politicking it away. :V
I don't get why you're complaining about inconvenient scripture. That's what happens when your religious holy book is an amalgamation from books written centuries apart. Just because it annoys you doesn't invalidate the criticism, or mean the Old Testament holds no weight in Christianity. It certainly does in plenty of mainstream churches.

Even the Catholic Church has a stance on homosexuality for example. The New Testement passages on homosexuality sometimes directly cite books of the Old Testament as justification for said stance. So you really can't handwave all the annoying retrograde nonesense from the Old Testament, regardless of your church or how annoying you find it. You're sorta stuck with at least some of it.

Even the Catholic Church has a stance on homosexuality for example.

We do, in fact!

The Catholic Catechism said:
They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

I've had lots of arguments with Protestant friends who think I'm a heretic for not disliking gay people.

Little do they know, they're the heretics!

....well, actually they know plenty. Because they're Protestants, and that's kind of the point.

But I digress — the major Christian Church's view is markedly and notably less harsh and significantly different from what is perceived to be the mainstream Christian view. It also differs markedly from the main passage on homosexuality in the Old Testament, Leviticus, what with the lack of stoning and whatnot.

The only other Church view on homosexuality I can think of coming from the Old Testament is the idea that marriage is only between a man and a woman.

And to add on to what @ManusDomine said above — yes, the Catholic Church has been rules-lawyering the living fuck out of this book for as long as it's existed.

I don't get why you're complaining about inconvenient scripture.
Offtopicness, basically. The question of the thread is how violent Christianity is as a religion. And since Christianity, as a religion, has in fact done away with following OT law, quotes from OT law are basically meaningless in determining that question. That this decision was arbitrary and probably against Jesus' explicit word is true, but meaningless for the thread topic.

Also, Manus is not a (mainstream) Christian himself ;)

Offtopicness, basically. The question of the thread is how violent Christianity is as a religion. And since Christianity, as a religion, has in fact done away with following OT law, quotes from OT law are basically meaningless in determining that question. That this decision was arbitrary and probably against Jesus' explicit word is true, but meaningless for the thread topic.

Also, Manus is not a (mainstream) Christian himself ;)

Yes. Manus is a Cathar, which, I only learned a few years ago, is a Christian sect, and not, to my great surprise and overwhelming disappointment, the Star Wars cat race.

Now if you're looking for a mainstream Christian, look no further! I am a Catholic, which is the Toyota Corolla of Churches, if Toyota used to rule all of Europe through a combination of secular, religious, and cultural clout unmatched in human history before ultimately being brought down through its own decadence and inertia.

Last edited:
Yes. Manus is a Cathar, which, I only learned a few years ago, is a Christian sect, and not, to my great surprise and overwhelming disappointment, the Star Wars cat race.

Now if you're looking for a mainstream Christian, look no further! I am a Catholic, which is the Toyota Corolla of Churches, if Toyota used to rule all of Europe through a combination of secular, religious, and cultural clout unmatched in human history before ultimately being brought down through its own decadence and inertia.
dont forget having a body count in the millions. toyatas dont have that either.... that we know of.

Last edited:
The new testament DID NOT do away with them. Jesus was very clear on that actually. "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil"
Yes, but you know stoning people is pretty hard if you are only allowed to stone people after you found someone without sin to trow the first stone.
"Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery.
5 Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?"
6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.
7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."
8 And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground.
9 But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.
10 Jesus stood up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more."]]

That's what happens when your religious holy book is an amalgamation from books written centuries apart. Just because it annoys you doesn't invalidate the criticism, or mean the Old Testament holds no weight in Christianity. It certainly does in plenty of mainstream churches.

And to add on to what @ManusDomine said above — yes, the Catholic Church has been rules-lawyering the living fuck out of this book for as long as it's existed.
Indeed, quite literally so given most Western legal traditions owe a great deal to the scholastic traditions. :V

Yes, but you know stoning people is pretty hard if you are only allowed to stone people after you found someone without sin to trow the first stone.
Yes, but...

The thing is, this fits right in with Jesus' general teachings (of course): "Judge not, lest ye be judged" and something something splinter, eye, beam. However, that doesn't make judging someone (and hence also stoning someone according to the law) something invalid - it only means you will be judged just as harsh as you did in life by God in turn. And hey, someone might go "Okay, sure, I take that chance."

Generally, if I were to interpretate Jesus stance on the law, I'd say that he gives application guidelines for the law, so to speak: It is still in force, but you are advised not to judge other people according to it - however, as it is still in force, you still absolutely can.

(plus, even Jesus told the adulteress "Go and sin no more", so a bastion of progressivism he obviously wasn't)

(plus, even Jesus told the adulteress "Go and sin no more", so a bastion of progressivism he obviously wasn't)

What do you mean here?

If you're implying that Jesus himself was judging her, he really wasn't, as she was a proven adulteress. He was merely telling her to commit no more adultery.

And if anyone is entitled to run around judging people (which he pointedly didn't do regardless) it's the literal godhead himself.

Last edited:
Well, I don't exactly think adultery should be a crime, you know.

Uh...it's pretty clearly morally wrong in almost every circumstance. Cheating is one of the worst things you can do to someone you profess to love — I'd say maybe even the worst. And in a religious context, adultery is violating the sanctity of marriage, which is essentially a binding covenant made under God — you're basically breaking a promise to God out of lust or avarice.

I'd agree it shouldn't be a crime, though definitely grounds for divorce.

Whether or not it's a sin, well...

The Ten Commandments said:
Thou shalt not commit adultery.

And so what if no one follows those laws? The debate is whether the religion itself is peaceful not whether or not it can be made
Well, yes, but you didn't realize that your posts actually are about "whether the Bible is violent or not". Unless you can prove Christians committed violent acts due those verses you quoted, you're just cherry picking. That's what tends to happen when people pick random verses and don't actually correlate them with the religion in question.
I don't get why you're complaining about inconvenient scripture
Nah, I don't know about Manus, but I'm complaining about cherry picking :V

Uh...it's pretty clearly morally wrong in almost every circumstance. Cheating is one of the worst things you can do to someone you profess to love — I'd say maybe even the worst.
But it shouldn't be anyone else's business really. Okay, yes, friends and family will take sides and that's okay - you cannot really be supportive towards a friend unless you take their side, after all. But it shouldn't be of interest to wider society.

And "reason for divorce" became kinda moot since faultless divorces became a thing ;) (though of course it can still play a part in divorce procedures)

We do, in fact!

I've had lots of arguments with Protestant friends who think I'm a heretic for not disliking gay people.

Little do they know, they're the heretics!

....well, actually they know plenty. Because they're Protestants, and that's kind of the point.

But I digress — the major Christian Church's view is markedly and notably less harsh and significantly different from what is perceived to be the mainstream Christian view. It also differs markedly from the main passage on homosexuality in the Old Testament, Leviticus, what with the lack of stoning and whatnot.

The only other Church view on homosexuality I can think of coming from the Old Testament is the idea that marriage is only between a man and a woman.

You know, I grew up a catholic. I had k-12 catholic education. I have a largely catholic family. This idea you're pushing that Catholics are just so much more tolerant of homosexuals than other Christians flies in the face of my personal experience. For example, my Aunt finally decided to get married to her long time partner after same sex marriage was made legal in the US a few years ago. She was shunned by large portions of my family. Not a word of acknowledgment, not a gift, and some sent only words of condemnation instead. So tolerant. In addition, I've had a few of my theology teachers discuss gay conversion therapy as a way that could "aid" homosexuals during my catholic education. So yea, I'm having a hard time giving kudos to Catholics for being less vile towards LGBT people than many protestants sects. That seems a mighty low standard.

And putting those anecdotes aside ( I realize these are just my personal experiences, and they might bias my position), when you come down to it, the catholic church still doesn't approve of homosexual relationships, marriages, or intercourse. I concede that they are kinder about it many protestants due to their lawyering (which to me, seems more like centuries of mental gymnastics btw) but the origin of this stance is still ultimately biblical in origin. I mean, why else would the church care about same sex intercourse or a marriage?

Fair enough, I didn't realize you were a Cathar (a faith I know little about).

Last edited:
This is a little bit of a tangent, but - adultery can very much be a thing of import to greater society, even if "socially accepted" (or socially ignored?) the way you seem to propose.

Marriage is a sacred and precious vow, which binds a man and woman so exclusively to each other that it shears them away from their parents (and believe me, the Bible has a lot to say about parent-child relationships). In this perspective, what kind of person does it take to make a vow of that import, and then break it, and then want to claim that that is nothing wrong? What does that say about the rest of their life, and the effect that such a person would have on everybody around them (and thus society) even beyond their friends and family?

Now, of course, marriage is a much... cheaper thing these days. God hates divorce, we are told: divorces were given to the Jews because their hearts were evil, and even then only with heavy caveats. But it still takes something - not a good something - to be able to promise a person to be with them for better or worse, richer or poorer, etc., and then break those vows.

Criminalisation of this act the way it used to be is only understandable within the context of how heavily marriage was weighted in those days. These days it's so much less stigmatised, but that's less indicative of a broader mind and more of a, well. It's not a pretty thing to think, is it?

Marriage is a sacred and precious vow, which binds a man and woman so exclusively to each other that it shears them away from their parents (and believe me, the Bible has a lot to say about parent-child relationships).
The Bible is irrelevant to society, though. I grant you that the conservative Christian view on the matter is coherent and consistent, but that still doesn't make it good. Personally, I don't give a damn about the moral development or whatever of a person. Virtue ethics can go take a hike. I don't care about what "kind of person" someone is. The relevant question is if they have done something that is actually criminal with good reason or not. Beyond that, as long as I'm not trying to befriend them, why care?

It's not a pretty thing to think, is it?
The way society has steadily gotten freer and less restrictive, with people no longer being trapped in potentially abusive relationships, IS actually a pretty thing to think about.

The Bible is irrelevant to society, though. I grant you that the conservative Christian view on the matter is coherent and consistent, but that still doesn't make it good. Personally, I don't give a damn about the moral development or whatever of a person. Virtue ethics can go take a hike. I don't care about what "kind of person" someone is. The relevant question is if they have done something that is actually criminal with good reason or not. Beyond that, as long as I'm not trying to befriend them, why care?

The way society has steadily gotten freer and less restrictive, with people no longer being trapped in potentially abusive relationships, IS actually a pretty thing to think about.
We are in a thread discussing the Bible, and more specifically your statement that Jesus was being non-progressivist (?) by telling the adulterous woman to go and sin no more, and the subsequent opinion that it shouldn't be a crime or stigmatised because it affects nobody outside a person's direct family/ friends.

Personally, I think we should care very, very much about a person's moral development. I think that a lot about what is wrong with the world has to do with people's moral developments, whether or not they've broken local laws. I think the kind of person who would treat the trust of other people in that way, should not be accorded trust in any other way - entirely apart of whether they're worth befriending.

Look: Bill Clinton got impeached over an affair. Trump, bless his heart, Trump is doing his level best to not get accused of involvement with a porn actress. We can call it whatever we want, but we do give a damn about how other people are. You seem to think we shouldn't, and that's your prerogative.

I think my view of marriage, at least in this respect, is more positive than yours. Your opinion seems to be that the marriage vows really shouldn't be made at all and that in fact all relationships should be open ones, and that any marriage where fidelity is expected is (at best) potentially abusive?

Back