Candles in the Dark

Daniel got in the truck,sitting down between Cat and Elizabeth. "Could'nt find anything. So I guess it's to that settlement near memphis." He said buckling in.
Cat slammed her foot onto the clutch, pulled the gearstick into first, and set off with a smile.

"So, do either of you know which way is Memphis? I'm British, so not exactly up on American geography."

"Fuck, Fuck, Fuck." He dropped his gun, he'd need to pick it up later but it was just hindered him currently. "Axii" He targeted the sign on the beast closest to impaling him, and started running away from the refugees. Trying to lead them away a bit and save him some time. He felt himself fill back up with power, Quen would stop him from dying but maybe... "Igni" He sent a ball of fire flying at the spike beast that was now mid jump trying to maul him.

Last edited:
Cat slammed her foot onto the clutch, pulled the gearstick into first, and set off with a smile.

"So, do either of you know which way is Memphis? I'm British, so not exactly up on American geography."
"I can help you out" Daniel said remebering the route he was taking before the disintegration. He decided to rummage through the glove compartment to see what he could find.

(I'm imagining that this is the truck we have)

@munchkinomatic @Sailor Midgard @BetaM

"Hello, you bastard" the neo-senshi said with a gim cheerfullness
"My, aten't you ugly."
Then she ralsed her left knee -and grabbed the beast on its chitinous neck , "Sailor Chop!" Ing it with the left hand.
If that proved insufficient, there was a Crescentbeam up, close and personal.....

If all worked to plan, she was looking for her otiginal target... blaching, screaming in rage and Crescent Beaming the beast in the back, while crying.

Theodora grabbed the creature, before applying her considerable strength to break it. The monster had no chance of surviving, but in this position, the young woman wasn't able to dodge its last ditch effort, driving one claw through her shoulder. Gritting her teeth, she nonetheless kept up the pressure, her efforts finally rewarded by a loud cracking sound. Trying to ignore the pain, she turned toward the monster attacking the civilians, preparing to fire a beam, when...

"MEATSPLOSION!" Josephine's scream was quickly followed by a deranged laugh as the acid burn hole through her.

Heedless of... no, revelling in her own wound, she leapt onto the bug thing trying to finish off the civilian, mechete spinning.

"CUT YOU OPEN! CUT ME OPEN!"

... she thought better of it; in this situation, hitting her new friend would be far too likely. Not that Josephine needed much help anyway, as she teared through the insectoid monstrosity, whose attention had been far too focused on its previous prey. Even when her machete, whose metal had been corroded by acid, broke after yet another brutal swing, that barely slowed Josephine down, who finished the job by smashing its handle in the creature's head.

"Fuck, Fuck, Fuck." He dropped his gun, he'd need to pick it up later but it was just hindered him currently. "Axii" He targeted the sign on the beast closest to impaling him, and started running away from the refugees. Trying to lead them away a bit and save him some time. He felt himself fill back up with power, Quen would stop him from dying but maybe... "Igni" He sent a ball of fire flying at the spike beast that was now mid jump trying to maul him.

To will's obvious dismay, Axii had no effect on the monster, its alien mind fending off the mental assault without difficulty. Barely dodging its claws, he used his last trump card; Igni was a rather modest spell, all things considered, yet it did the trick - the creature had been doused by its friend's acid, and while it had been immune to its harmful effects, it turned out it made him that much more combustible. It collapsed in pain, its dying screech echoing through the plains.

The last one was about to retaliate, only to be intercepted mid-flight by a beam of light, courtesy of Theodora who had decided to switch target. That alone wasn't enough to kill it, but the her and Will's concentrated magical assaults eventually made short work of it. With the last monster dead, the group could finally take a breath. Will only had a couple of scratchs on him, while Theodora and Josephine both sported rather grievous injuries. Yet that was nothing compared to the unfortunate refugee who had been attacked by the monster. The man was still alive, but barely. With the amount of blood he lost, and the deep wounds that covered his body, it seemed quite likely that his end was near.

@inukai44 @Hannz @Estro

Daniel managed to find a road map in the glove's compartment, with the location of the barn they were in conveniently marked. Studying it showed that Memphis was only a few hours away, with the survivors simply having to drive south - though whether or not there would be enough fuel to get there remained to be seen. The back of the truck also had some food and water, enough to last a couple of days for the three of them, as well as an old hunting rifle with half a dozen cartridges.

Finally, they managed to find a music disk, whose cherry tunes seemed oddly out of place considering their situation. Cat didn't seem to mind, though. With those finds, they were ready to hit the road as ready as possible, at least.

so she focused at the task at hand and absentmindedly thought of last night's events, specifically, how she got lost in the forest in the first place.

Now that she had time to think about it, Elizabeth couldn't help but notice the strangeness of yesterday events. As she moved away from Haven, the vegetation had suddenly changed, going from a lush green forest to one burnt to a crisp. Try as she might, she hadn't been able to find back her way, as if she had been transported over a long distance without her knowledge. But that was impossible, right? This was when the monstruous wolves had attacked, and the rest, as they said, was history.

@munchkinomatic @Sailor Midgard @BetaM

Theodora grabbed the creature, before applying her considerable strength to break it. The monster had no chance of surviving, but in this position, the young woman wasn't able to dodge its last ditch effort, driving one claw through her shoulder. Gritting her teeth, she nonetheless kept up the pressure, her efforts finally rewarded by a loud cracking sound. Trying to ignore the pain, she turned toward the monster attacking the civilians, preparing to fire a beam, when...

... she thought better of it; in this situation, hitting her new friend would be far too likely. Not that Josephine needed much help anyway, as she teared through the insectoid monstrosity, whose attention had been far too focused on its previous prey. Even when her machete, whose metal had been corroded by acid, broke after yet another brutal swing, that barely slowed Josephine down, who finished the job by smashing its handle in the creature's head.

To will's obvious dismay, Axii had no effect on the monster, its alien mind fending off the mental assault without difficulty. Barely dodging its claws, he used his last trump card; Igni was a rather modest spell, all things considered, yet it did the trick - the creature had been doused by its friend's acid, and while it had been immune to its harmful effects, it turned out it made him that much more combustible. It collapsed in pain, its dying screech echoing through the plains.

The last one was about to retaliate, only to be intercepted mid-flight by a beam of light, courtesy of Theodora who had decided to switch target. That alone wasn't enough to kill it, but the her and Will's concentrated magical assaults eventually made short work of it. With the last monster dead, the group could finally take a breath. Will only had a couple of scratchs on him, while Theodora and Josephine both sported rather grievous injuries. Yet that was nothing compared to the unfortunate refugee who had been attacked by the monster. The man was still alive, but barely. With the amount of blood he lost, and the deep wounds that covered his body, it seemed quite likely that his end was near.

Gritting her teeth some more, Theodora took no time to jubilate, but limped over to the worst hit victim.
Laying her hand on him, she started chanting.
Lina had never been good at white magic, as compared to Black or Spirit Magic, but Minako was helping there.The forces behind the White Magic seemed to like her.
"Blessed , humble hand of god, Breath of Mother Earth, I pray thee come before me... Show thy great compassion upon this person before me : RECOVERY!" and the white light of healing flowed, and she felt shaky as Hell, nearly swooning...
And then it was Jo.
Same spell, same effect... and this time , she fainted.

Daniel managed to find a road map in the glove's compartment, with the location of the barn they were in conveniently marked. Studying it showed that Memphis was only a few hours away, with the survivors simply having to drive south - though whether or not there would be enough fuel to get there remained to be seen. The back of the truck also had some food and water, enough to last a couple of days for the three of them, as well as an old hunting rifle with half a dozen cartridges.

Finally, they managed to find a music disk, whose cherry tunes seemed oddly out of place considering their situation. Cat didn't seem to mind, though. With those finds, they were ready to hit the road as ready as possible, at least.
Before they started on their travel Daniel brought the rifle into the cabin and put it into the back of it within easy reach just in case they needed it and said "We need to stop at an station in two hours to get gas" He said "Just in case." Daniel then looked at the map and made sure were they were on the current route and looked for gas stations on the map.

Now that she had time to think about it, Elizabeth couldn't help but notice the strangeness of yesterday events. As she moved away from Haven, the vegetation had suddenly changed, going from a lush green forest to one burnt to a crisp. Try as she might, she hadn't been able to find back her way, as if she had been transported over a long distance without her knowledge. But that was impossible, right? This was when the monstruous wolves had attacked, and the rest, as they said, was history.
As the radio blasted tunes that were amiable at best, Elizabeth stared at the dilapidated scenery that blurred past her as the vehicle raced forwards. Hands neatly folded together on her lap, her mind raced for an explanation to last night's events.

It couldn't have been fatigue, the girl was nowhere near that level of exhaustion, nor could it have been some sort of mind-altering substance since she was pretty sure the supplies she 'borrowed' from the storehouse were clean as could be.

Monsters perhaps? Elizabeth had never heard of any that could change the scenery or transport others without calling attention to itself, but then again, she didn't know much in the first place.

Glancing at her companions, she saw them one of them talking, and decided to butt in at an opportune moment. "Last night," she started, closing her eyes and thinking of a way to say this without sounding crazy. "The forest was green, alive and unburnt," were those the correct choice of words? She didn't know. "Then, everything just turned to ash everywhere around me." She took in a deep breathe, memories of the adrenaline and fear coming back. "There wasn't any fire, it was like I was transported into another dimension." Eyes opened and frown on her face, she looked at Cat and Daniel before finishing. "Was I the only one to experience that?"

@Estro
@inukai44

As the radio blasted tunes that were amiable at best, Elizabeth stared at the dilapidated scenery that blurred past her as the vehicle raced forwards. Hands neatly folded together on her lap, her mind raced for an explanation to last night's events.

It couldn't have been fatigue, the girl was nowhere near that level of exhaustion, nor could it have been some sort of mind-altering substance since she was pretty sure the supplies she 'borrowed' from the storehouse were clean as could be.

Monsters perhaps? Elizabeth had never heard of any that could change the scenery or transport others without calling attention to itself, but then again, she didn't know much in the first place.

Glancing at her companions, she saw them one of them talking, and decided to butt in at an opportune moment. "Last night," she started, closing her eyes and thinking of a way to say this without sounding crazy. "The forest was green, alive and unburnt," were those the correct choice of words? She didn't know. "Then, everything just turned to ash everywhere around me." She took in a deep breathe, memories of the adrenaline and fear coming back. "There wasn't any fire, it was like I was transported into another dimension." Eyes opened and frown on her face, she looked at Cat and Daniel before finishing. "Was I the only one to experience that?"
"Nope I wasn't transferred into an dimension. Though everything is kinda weird since the transference/apocalypse." Daniel said to Elizabeth looking away for the map for an little bit. "It's been what an month since the transference of the spheres?" he said thinking back to when the world went into this sorry state. "Trust me we all had very weird experiences..." he said remembering his disintegration and regeneration and the three people that were kinda living inside him.

Last edited:
"Well that was a mess..." Both the girls where out, well Jo looked to be awake if barely...

"We need to keep moving, there could be more of those things around... But we need to take care of this first and fast." Will looked up to the sky, thinking of what to do, if anything these corpses would bring scavengers and scavengers that eat things like these beasts, he didn't want to meet.

"I saw atleast one of you guys use a tarp last-night, if we don't have two more tarps then we can use a bedroll. We're gonna carry them until we either find someplace with good cover, or get too Memphis." Will unslung his bag from his back, unrolling the tarp that was tied to the top of it. He directed the orders at the crowd, spreading out the tarp beside the unconscious Theo.

"Oh yeah. Does anyone have a knife, axe or club. Fucking anything that I could use to bludgeon or slice more of those spiked things if they come?" If more of anything came while the girls where out, he didn't want to be unarmed when they did. He picked up his pistol from off the ground before he forgot, putting it into his bag.

@Macros

Last edited:
Joe let out a triumphant how skyward, followed by a bout of deranged giggling, before she stumbled and fell backward.

"I THINK I JIZZED MYSELF!" With that declaration, the blood rage slowly left her, and she finally started to calm down.

"Nope I wasn't transferred into an dimension. Though everything is kinda weird since the transference/apocalypse." Daniel said to Elizabeth looking away for the map for an little bit. "It's been what an month since the transference of the spheres?" he said thinking back to when the world went into this sorry state. "Trust me we all had very weird experiences..." he said remembering his disintegration and regeneration and the three people that were kinda living inside him.
"A month since what now?" Elizabeth replied, voice incredulous. Surely, he couldn't have meant the 'End Times' or the 'Apocalypse'. Those happened two years ago, and the girl vividly remembered the exact day and time when the chaos and the panic overtook everything in her life.

"A month since what now?" Elizabeth replied, voice incredulous. Surely, he couldn't have meant the 'End Times' or the 'Apocalypse'. Those happened two years ago, and the girl vividly remembered the exact day and time when the chaos and the panic overtook everything in her life.
"It's been an month since the apocalypse happened." Ryan said putting it in simpler terms. " I'm surprised the world ended this fast." He added going over the map that was on his lap examining the roads and other routes and places of interest.

"It's been an month since the apocalypse happened." Ryan said putting it in simpler terms. " I'm surprised the world ended this fast." He added going over the map that was on his lap examining the roads and other routes and places of interest.
"What?" Her tone was biting, but more importantly, it was confused.

Hands balled into fists, she glared at Daniel in disbelief. He may have saved her life last night, but that didn't mean he could joke about the day she lost her entire life. "That happened two years ago!" Her voice was raised higher than she thought it was, and though she realized the folly of yelling at someone who could crush a monster's skull, Elizabeth decided she was far too deep to stop now.

"What?" Her tone was biting, but more importantly, it was confused.

Hands balled into fists, she glared at Daniel in disbelief. He may have saved her life last night, but that didn't mean he could joke about the day she lost her entire life. "That happened two years ago!" Her voice was raised higher than she thought it was, and though she realized the folly of yelling at someone who could crush a monster's skull, Elizabeth decided she was far too deep to stop now.
Daniel stared at her "do you think I'd lie about something where millions of people lost their lives in including my parents? Because i'm totally serious, I don't know where your getting the two years thing from." He said in an stern tone.

Last edited:
Daniel stared at her "do you think I'd lie about something where millions of people lost their lives in including my parents? Because i'm totally serious, I don't know where your getting the two years thing from." He said in an stern tone.
Elizabeth stared at the man, absolutely dumbfounded for a few seconds by his insistance before she leaned sidewards in the seat she shared with Daniel just so she could meet his eyes with her own defiant ones. "It's been two years since the world ended! I remember spending that two years!" She remembered the smell of gunk, of dirt and powder, and the rough touch of wooden handles and how her peers eventually got used to it all. "Hell, you can even ask Cat! I'm telling the truth when I say it's been two years!"

Glare pointed at the man, she awaited her victory through sheer weight of numbers once Cat chimes in.

Steering around the potholed road, Cat hummed along with the radio until she realised that the other two were looking at her.

"Well, there was a weird energy portal thing in my cell which let me escape to here, so I think I know of that. And I dunno how long this had been going on for. Can't be any longer than about three days, since that's when I was jailed! And there was nothing apocalypsy before that! Apocalypsy."

Cat giggled, and swerved to miss another batch of potholes.

Steering around the potholed road, Cat hummed along with the radio until she realised that the other two were looking at her.

"Well, there was a weird energy portal thing in my cell which let me escape to here, so I think I know of that. And I dunno how long this had been going on for. Can't be any longer than about three days, since that's when I was jailed! And there was nothing apocalypsy before that! Apocalypsy."

Cat giggled, and swerved to miss another batch of potholes.
Elizabeth swayed with the vehicle, seatbelt saving her from bumping into any object as her mouth was left open for a second or two.

Though she wanted to speak up, she ultimately thought it wasn't worth the headache and slumped on her seat instead, but not before saying, "Look, we're going to ask the first person we find and settle this, all right?"

Hopefully, the first person they find wouldn't turn out to be some kind of bandit.

@Hannz @inukai44 @Estro

Though the discussion between them apparently answered none of their questions, and asked a few new ones, it quickly appeared that finding another person who might answer them would have to wait. The road was entirely deserted, though given the poor state it was in, this came as no surprise. Their quest for a gas station went a little better, but, perhaps unsurprisingly, it turned out some people had the same idea long before now. The whole place had been ransacked, no doubt by other desperate survivors. Maybe a more thorough search would allow them to find something the previous looters had missed, but it also carried the risk of getting attacked.

@Sailor Midgard @munchkinomatic @BetaM

Her magical reserves exhausted, and her wounds making her dizzy, Theodora finally fainted. At least she had managed to save the life of the injured man... for now. Despite his worst wounds closed, blood loss remained a problem, and was really not in a state to walk. With the adrenaline fading, Josephine was also becoming aware of her own critical condition, pain catching up to her pretty fast.

Still shaken by the attack, and by the display of their protectors, the refugees had gathered near WIll - who seemed to have been dubbed as 'the sane one' among them - and his instructions were followed quickly and efficiently. Three improvised stretches were made, though whether or not Josephine would need or want one remained to be seen. His request for weaponry resulted in him receiving a short wood axe and a hunting knife. After what just happened, the other survivors agreed rather easily to part with those tools, confident that it might be a lot more useful to those people with strange powers, and able to fight toe to toe with the monsters.

@Hannz @inukai44 @Estro

Though the discussion between them apparently answered none of their questions, and asked a few new ones, it quickly appeared that finding another person who might answer them would have to wait. The road was entirely deserted, though given the poor state it was in, this came as no surprise. Their quest for a gas station went a little better, but, perhaps unsurprisingly, it turned out some people had the same idea long before now. The whole place had been ransacked, no doubt by other desperate survivors. Maybe a more thorough search would allow them to find something the previous looters had missed, but it also carried the risk of getting attacked.

@Sailor Midgard @munchkinomatic @BetaM

Her magical reserves exhausted, and her wounds making her dizzy, Theodora finally fainted. At least she had managed to save the life of the injured man... for now. Despite his worst wounds closed, blood loss remained a problem, and was really not in a state to walk. With the adrenaline fading, Josephine was also becoming aware of her own critical condition, pain catching up to her pretty fast.

Still shaken by the attack, and by the display of their protectors, the refugees had gathered near WIll - who seemed to have been dubbed as 'the sane one' among them - and his instructions were followed quickly and efficiently. Three improvised stretches were made, though whether or not Josephine would need or want one remained to be seen. His request for weaponry resulted in him receiving a short wood axe and a hunting knife. After what just happened, the other survivors agreed rather easily to part with those tools, confident that it might be a lot more useful to those people with strange powers, and able to fight toe to toe with the monsters.
The recovery of Theodora was faster than most would have eexpected, if not exactly fast.
Since her fainting had only dispelled her senshi henshin, her basic Gammazon endurance made sure that her fatigue-and therewith, her basic mana reserve - made a quick recovery, , as did her wounds.
.so, with a feeling of dizzyness slowly dispersing, an achy body and shoulder, the young woman returned to this earthly vale of woes....

"Jo!" was her first shout of worry, followed by a "Will, everybody else, everything right?" She was getting terrible visions of people she cared for suffering because of her fainting....

Jumping out of the Truck, Cat landed on her feet like her namesake. Looking at the dilapidated petrol station, she clapped her hands.

"It's like something out of a movie! Ooh! Ooh! It's like Mad Max! Wandering the desert for fuel and metal solos!"

Her head filled with ideas, she splayed her hand and blasted away some of the rubbish and detritus with a surge of air.

The recovery of Theodora was faster than most would have expected, if not exactly fast.
Since her fainting had only dispelled her senshi henshin, her basic Gammazon endurance made sure that her fatigue-and therewith, her basic mana reserve - made a quick recovery, , as did her wounds.
.so, with a feeling of dizzyness slowly dispersing, an achy body and shoulder, the young woman returned to this earthly vale of woes....

"Jo!" was her first shout of worry, followed by a "Will, everybody else, everything right?" She was getting terrible visions of people she cared for suffering because of her fainting....
"We're good, Jo's fine. Well... she's alive." He shrugged his shoulders a bit uncomfortably, glancing over at the other stretcher. Will was helping carry the stretcher with the injured man on it, the knife in the side pocket of the backpack, the axe strung through his belt.

"You good to walk?" He asked Theo, the people carrying her looked fairly tired. He didn't want to force her, but she looked a good deal better.

"Hey do you, have any idea how far till Memphis?" Will questioned the elder. @Macros

Last edited:
"We're good, Jo's fine. Well... she's alive." He shrugged his shoulders a bit uncomfortably, glancing over at the other stretcher. Will was helping carry the stretcher with the injured man on it, the knife in the side pocket of the backpack, the axe strung through his belt.

"You good to walk?" He asked Theo, the people carrying her looked fairly tired. He didn't want to force her, but she looked a good deal better.

"Hey do you, have any idea how far till Memphis?" Will questioned the elder. @Macros
"Ayup" the tall greenskin nodded "I have felt better, but walking is no problem..just give me a few hours and-ouch!" It hurt slightly to walk again, but overall, her hulk body was good at recovery.
"Okay, I hope we have till the evening and then I might try patching Jo and that poor guy up some more."
She sighed.
"I wish someone I..we knew way back was here.Her healing powers were so amazing she could weaponize them."
By now, walking again worked well.
"But I guess we made it out of this mess as well as we could, huh?
Could have gone better, could have gone a lot worse.You ate quite good in a pinch" she lauded him.

Last edited:
Jumping out of the Truck, Cat landed on her feet like her namesake. Looking at the dilapidated petrol station, she clapped her hands.

"It's like something out of a movie! Ooh! Ooh! It's like Mad Max! Wandering the desert for fuel and metal solos!"

Her head filled with ideas, she splayed her hand and blasted away some of the rubbish and detritus with a surge of air.
If Elizabeth had any doubts on Cat's magic, they were quickly dispelled at the sight of the wind bowing to the eccentric woman's whims. However, she was not one for loud exclamations especially after her little outburst inside the car, so she admired Cat's handiwork with quiet awe instead.

Fire, and Wind. What was she? That bald kid from that one show?

Elizabeth jumped down from the vehicle, a single word leaving her lips. "Wow."

The girl had done her fair share of scavenging before, and she couldn't help but a cast a longing look at the pile of rubbish cast aside in a corner. Sure, more often than not, they really were rubbish but sometimes, there was a gem underneath all that trash. Sadly, Elizabeth wouldn't be able to test that theory without ruining Cat's work, and she'd rather not do that and risk displeasing the feline.

Seeing no other course of action, the girl set about picking through the ruins for anything useful.

Last edited:

A groan and a slight giggle answered Theo as Joe weakly raised a thumb up even as her other hand idly toyed with the weeping gash on her side. Each prod sent lances of white hot pain through her that Josephine had to admit was slightly erotic.

Huh, probably the blood loss.

"I'm...kinda fine? There's a pretty big hole tho..."

A groan and a slight giggle answered Theo as Joe weakly raised a thumb up even as her other hand idly toyed with the weeping gash on her side. Each prod sent lances of white hot pain through her that Josephine had to admit was slightly erotic.

Huh, probably the blood loss.

"I'm...kinda fine? There's a pretty big hole tho..."
Theo rolled her eyes while smiling at her new friend.
"Honestly, thats nobody elses definition of 'kinda fine' , silly. Nobodies."

Theos feeling of utter relief must have been palpaple, certainly visible.

She gently swatted at the prodding hand.
"Now, stop this, wait a bit, and i swear to the dragons and Aphrodite I will RECOVERY you back to health, Hitomi-chan...''

Last edited:
Back