Brighter Flames (ASOIAF/AU)

Adhoc vote count started by son et lumiere on Aug 16, 2024 at 11:41 AM, finished with 27 posts and 18 votes.

Tbh. I am not the biggest fan of all the big intellect build. Playing as a nerd or just a super smart guy gets boring after a while ya know? Often in stories such as this, it can make things a bit too easy.

Last edited:
Tbh. I am not the biggest fan of all the big intellect build. Playing as a nerd or just a super smart guy gets boring after a while ya know? Often in stories such as this, it can make things a bit too easy.

In Maz quests we've generally been a monster of a warrior. A person that can fuck up scores of people all by ourselves. Being an intellectual first and foremost would be a first I believe. (yes folks, I'm not counting Maz quests that barely got started before dying ;p) I don't believe that it'll make things a bit too easy. Some things will be easier like learning stuff and getting good at scheming/command/etc but we'll still have to work for it. And we'll be challenged in different ways. Like I wouldn't ever want us to fight Robert no matter how hard we push ourselves to get good at fighting. His base physical stats will outstrip us. We'll potentially face brilliant foes in the likes of Varys. We don't even yet know just how we'll use our brilliance. For all we know it can go into running a fief smh.

[X] Plan Maegor the Temperate
-[X] Appealing
-[X] Sharp
-[X] Paragon
-[X] Valor
-[X] Temperance
-[X] Indulgence

Get that big Maegor build and mastery of arms but none of the cruelness. Likes a drink and a good time but can reign himself in.

[X] Plan Like Father Like Son
That plan sadly doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. I've switched to Rarefied Mind, since it's the only one in the running at the moment that doesn't have any Vices. If you're more interested in having higher charisma, then Warlord is what you want.

Vices are the best part. And really, what Lord doesn't like to indulge themselves here and there?
Much like Littlefinger, having both Brilliant and Appealing will probably go a long way towards minimizing our flaw or putting it out of sight from others. Someone that smart should know when and where is the best time to indulge.

Being a Gifted warrior with Valor and strong Convictions also makes us an admirable enough guy that I really don't see us getting too much critiscism for partying a little hard.

As long as we don't get hit with the super-OP Depression Drawback, like Robert (the man is listed as being the best in TWO of the three categories) or Tyrion (another dude with Brilliant and Indulgence) then we should be aces.

As long as we don't get hit with the super-OP Depression Drawback, like Robert (the man is listed as being the best in TWO of the three categories) or Tyrion (another dude with Brilliant and Indulgence) then we should be aces.
Second in Intelligence too if the given example for Sharp is Ned being a good commander.

Man, the new plan is very interesting, playing to our strengths, too.

... nah. Not ready to give up on Conviction and don't even want Temperance. I'd love a protag who actually enjoys life, even if it goes overboard.

Man, the new plan is very interesting, playing to our strengths, too.

... nah. Not ready to give up on Conviction and don't even want Temperance. I'd love a protag who actually enjoys life, even if it goes overboard.
Tywin would have the Temperance trait according to Maz on discord:

"For full Tywin you'd prolly pick up Temperance, Conviction, and Cruelty. Tywin has enough Temperance to not succumb to his base desires
He has a deep cruelty when dealing with perceived slights"

"For full Tywin you'd prolly pick up Temperance, Conviction, and Cruelty. Tywin has enough Temperance to not succumb to his base desires
He has a deep cruelty when dealing with perceived slights"
Okay? Cruelty is a non-starter for me from the beginning, and Conviction is going to be sorely needed in order to get anywhere. I just don't care about Temperance. A protagonist who maybe drinks too much, chases tail, actually lives? Versus Shiny Saint Symeon 2.0? Yes please.

Or I guess I could put it another way. Tyrion/Robert >>> Tywin.

Last edited:
Okay? Cruelty is a non-starter for me from the beginning, and Conviction is going to be sorely needed in order to get anywhere. I just don't care about Temperance. A protagonist who maybe drinks too much, chases tail, actually lives? Versus Symeon 2.0? Yes please.

Or I guess I could put it another way. Tyrion/Robert >>> Tywin.
I am saying that Temperance won't completely drown out Indulgence like you fear since even with that trait Tywin is still one of the cruellest lords in the seven kingdoms. Openly and proudly at that.

I am saying that Temperance won't completely drown out Indulgence like you fear since even with that trait Tywin is still one of the cruellest lords in the seven kingdoms. Openly and proudly at that.
I see.

I mean, I don't dislike your plan, tbh. It's fine. More than fine, it's great.

But Brilliant + Conviction + Indulgence (without Temperance) to me looks like Tony Stark and I can't give up on that.

Back