BLASTER: Too Legit to Quit

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

May 7, 2010

I managed to fuck up hard enough to get myself in prison. My cellmate told me to...
Part 1

acidlime

workers of the world unite
Pronouns
He/Him/His
May 7, 2010

I managed to fuck up hard enough to get myself in prison. My cellmate told me to write in a journal, keep myself sane in this fucking place.

I don't have anything to write about. The two days I've been here have been relatively uneventful. I hope the next five-to-ten years remain that way.

Ned Nelson, four months out of prison, was contemplating robbing a bank. His costume was sitting on the passenger seat of the 2007 Crown Victoria, and the opaque lenses of his mask stared up at him. He was in a parking lot outside of a bank, and he kept looking up at the small building, an oasis in the middle of a large parking lot surrounded by stores of all sorts, one of a million strip malls.

"I… really don't want to do this," he said to himself, and partly to the mask. He had really wanted to make a change for the better once he had served his time in jail.

The thing about it was, it was hard out there for a man who was some sort of specialized electronics guru with a G.E.D. he got in prison. He was a 24-year-old with no future, and the only thing he was ever good at was staring him in his face.

"I could really use a sign, Lord." He said, calling upon the god of his Catholic youth. He had grown apart from his religion as he grew up, and now considered himself Agnostic, only because he had never quite shaken the beliefs of his childhood. In moments of weakness, he'd cry out to God to see if there was anyone listening. "Please, let someone stop me."

Prison was good to him. He had been miraculously only charged with third-degree burglary in what the papers had called "a gross amount of prosecution incompetence" served 5 years in a high-security prison, and got out. He had no family anymore, they had all cut ties with him during the trial, and now lived in a studio apartment he could barely afford over a 7-11.

If he was being honest, he liked the location quite a bit. He would go into the store below him, running by his landlord's door, and order a hot dog and load it up with chili and processed cheese, which always cleared his mind.

When Ned looked up from his steering wheel there was a similar convenience store there he hadn't noticed. He decided he'd wait for his divine sign while eating a hot dog and pulled out a wad of small bills he kept in the glove box. He took a five (which was depressingly one of the last ones in the wad itself) and shoved it in the long coat he was using to cover the costume he wore.

His costume was mostly cream colored, with dark brown gloves and boots. He wore a utility belt which held a multitude of items that were useful to him and his machinations, mostly batteries and spare electronic parts that had a tendency to break in a fight. The belt was a gray he hadn't bothered to dye, and for brand recognition, in the middle of Ned's chest there was a dark brown stripe that bubbled into a circle with a "B" in it in plain lettering over his left breast.

The B stood for Blaster.

He stepped out of his cheap car that he had bought at a police auction, and pulled his coat closed tightly over his costume. The raincoat had a strong Columbo vibe, and sported a large coffee stain on the sleeve. He grabbed his mask and shoved it into the opposite pocket from the one that contained his food money, and locked his car.

The name Blaster was fairly simple. He had made gloves that shot beams of light that hurt. They were highly versatile, and weren't deadly unless he wanted them to be, which was something Ned liked very much. Although he was a criminal, he didn't like killing wantonly, and he respected the crooks who didn't kill, who needed that sort of heat? Conveniently, the thought of taking a life made Blaster quite ill, so it was win-win.

There were rules he followed, a code he had made to get the least amount of a sentence in prison if he were ever caught.

1. Don't kill.

2. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

3. There is no "magically amazing score".

4. Don't team up. (This used to add "with someone you don't trust", but THAT had changed.)

5. No amount of money is worth your life.

These all had a tentative and conditional "unless" he attached to the end, but for the most part, these were his "Criminal Code" as he had heard it described.

The "Criminal Code" was a concept he had heard in prison from a lifer.

"Everyone goes in thinking they won't get caught because they see the people who make mistakes getting caught, and know they won't make those mistakes." The lifer had said. "It's bullshit. There isn't really a way to get off scot-free, and no code of conduct will keep one of the Justice Fucks from knocking your teeth down your fucking throat, so it all amounts to what you are willing to do."

He was very coarse, but there was some truth in that. Ned, after all, had gotten caught, even with his code. Having no real priors or murder accusations had helped his case though, so it was still debatable which one of them was right.

He shook his head and wished that his saved funds from before he had been locked away would have lasted him longer than they did. He thought he'd have had a job by then, something legit, so he wouldn't have to go back to this. He was wrong. It turned out that he had no marketable skills, and as soon as he settled into the mundane life of retail, he found his fingers twitching at anything valuable. So those were out.

It was back to this for Ned, the only thing that he was ever any good at, the only thing he was ever able to succeed at, that took everything from him.

As it turned out, while a maskless Blaster walked from his old Police Cruiser (gotten cheaply at auction) into the convenience store, bought a hot dog, and loaded it up with chili and processed cheese, a van pulled up in front of the bank he was basically casing, and a quintet of men jumped out with guns in hand. They rushed inside and shot a warning into the air. This was a robbery.

Ned ate the hot dog and wished the store hadn't been out of jalapenos. He liked spicy food before a job, it helped him get momentary clarity and then gave him horrible indigestion, a psychological pavlovian association he had cultivated. Ned never wanted to get too comfortable while he was at "work". Whether this had worked was debatable, but still...

It was time. He wasn't really worried about people figuring out he did this, he was already publicly known as Ned Nelson, a short Wikipedia page was dedicated to him with his old goth eyeliner and dyed black hair mugshot front and center.

Right now, he had his natural red hair cropped short, a style he had grown accustomed to in prison, and his car and apartment were all in the name of an alias, Carl Jefferson. He was now finding it very amusing that he had swapped from being protective of who he was out of costume for fear of people linking Blaster to Ned Nelson, to being afraid that people would link his civilian identity to his other civilian identity.

As he walked out into the parking lot and pulled on his mask, he let the coat open and strode into the bank.

Last edited:
Part 2
May 12th, 2010

Was almost jumped in the showers today. Some guy who called himself "Culler" stopped it, and said my name. "We've got you Blaster" he said. No one has called by my old alias in a while. Unsure of what this means for me.

Decided to record my weight. Currently 135 lbs, gonna start lifting on the yard. I'll record my weight in here every time I can learn it.

It was the worst coincidence ever, probably.

Well, for everyone involved, anyway.

The job was supposed to be simple. Five people, two on crowd control, two on getting the loot, one driver. The getaway would be a van with covered with logos a few blocks away. The transport to the vehicle was a sedan, cramped and unmarked.

The team was professional, this was meant to be an easy gig for a large sum- the idea was that this was the closest bank for a couple of miles between certain areas. The prime real-estate was a perfect bottleneck so that a large number of people had to use this specific bank if they had an account.

They had gone in, and everything had gone smoothly, until a jackass in a costume showed up.

Ned was surprised too, to be honest. He was a guy who planned, usually, but this idea of his, to rob a bank, had been a poorly thought out idea. He was just desperate, and this seemed like an easy way out. Later, he wouldn't be able to say if the reason he did it was for the cash or for the chance he'd go to prison again.

He'd never be really sure, because in one instant, it had all changed.

The youngest of the bank robbers had been looking forward to this job. He had been "the kid" for a good while and he wanted to prove himself. This hunger meant that while there had been a guy on the team who knew Blaster was a crook and that he may have just stumbled in on pure bad luck, the young man would never give him a chance. As soon as this young man saw Blaster, he knew his worst fears had come true. He leveled the shotgun he had been given towards the masked man and screamed.

"HERO!" The word screamed by a desperate man with a gun in a bank job had made two hearts sink. One was the robber who knew Blaster, and the other was Blaster himself. He saw the masked man level his shotgun and out of pure reflex, shot him with his namesake.

The blast gloves were patterned after a design he Ned had seen in a magazine, which were a quick and easy guide to making a glove with a light generating palm. A fun project which relied on a special compound named poly-luminolic acid. You could buy it in a hardware store and add it to paint to make it glow and store photon energy. It was a cheap solar powering chemical made by the Humanity Bounds corporation, one of their special human rights initiatives. A young Ned Nelson saw the design, which included an electrical storage and focusing device you could cobble together, and then decided to see if he could make it stronger. It had worked.

The focused light, which made Ned's hands glow when the gloves were active, blasted out in the width of a fist. It collided with the stomach of the man who had called him a hero, who doubled over. Ned followed up with a second to his head, and he crumpled to the ground. The blasts that happened when he made his hands into fists allowed the highest radius for his breadth of focused attacks, and he had charged the gloved very well the day before.

The other bank robbers saw their friend fall and began to open fire. They had nothing more than pistols and shotguns, but Ned had never been bulletproof, so he dove behind a desk, which began to splinter in a hail of bullets. Luckily, there was a cement base, the whole thing being made out of concrete and decorated to look like a desk, that managed to give Ned some time to think.

He saw someone rounding towards him, exposing his cover, and used a fist-blast to knock him on his back. One fist was easily able to KO a man with no head protection, even though he was on the lowest power settings.

A shift caught Ned's attention, the remaining men, all carrying large bags of money. He spied them through the security mirror on the ceiling, and waited for one of them to get close before sniping the two others with the mirror's reflective surface.

When the men fell, it was almost comical how their overstuffed bags burst with rolls of money. The floor almost flooded, and when they reached the feet of Blaster, he was more than happy to stuff a few in his coat pocket.

The final man was panicking. The hero had shot all his friends with light and they were on the ground. He grabbed a fallen comrade's shotgun and cocked it, ironically ejecting the last usable shell in the magazine. An unfortunate victim of the action movie trope addiction that some criminals swore were based in reality, and others cursed for spreading around bad habits.

Of the five men who agreed to the bank job, there futures were mixed. The youngest would turn around and start a family while also making a career traveling to schools speaking on the dangers of crime, the career criminal would rot until someone needed his talents, and this sorry man would spend the majority of his life in prison, all while telling the younger crooks and hoods about the dangers of doing something you saw in a movie.

He ran with his newly empty shotgun straight towards the hidden hero and pulled the trigger as soon as he saw the curve of the top off Blaster's mask. The desolating feeling of failure that filled the pit of the robber's stomach was immeasurable as the newfound hero stood up, brushed off, and aimed both fists at him.

"Out?" The costumed man asked, and then fired. In his stint in prison, this particular robber would also warn against the stupidity of dropping your other gun because you found another one.

"I had 150 rounds for my 9mm." He said. "I was decked out." He'd then put a finger up. "Didn't do shit for me when I dropped the thing for a gun I would proceed to empty. I could have shot the fuck a hundred times before he hit me." He then scratched his head. "Sheer stupidity and bad luck got me in here."

When Blaster had finished the last man, who lay dazed on the ground, he finished the one-liner he had set up. "Well, now you're down too." He had said, very happy he had been given a chance to use one of the one-liners he practiced in front of his bathroom mirror, and looked around.

The robbers were down, his pockets were loaded, and sooner or later someone would realize he wasn't there for altruistic reasons.

"Bye." He said, waving a still-glowing hand, and ran out.

Last edited:
Police interrogation. I estimated that there would be more time spent on a scene so response will happen. Instead, getting little money and quite fun little PR boost for yourself in one minor act, then getting out... Depending on verse, could be right thing to do or quite stupid.

We shall see if poor Blaster gets more chances to be a hero one way or another.

Part 3
May 14th, 2010

I ran into some former villains on the yard. They nodded at me, told me to come over, and checked my rep. They said I was "Not Bad" and that they had heard rumblings I was going to get snatched into one of the crime syndicates had I not been caught.

I can't tell whether I should be thrilled to hear this, or terrified. More updates to come, I suppose.

Blaster had run to his car and immediately jumped in. In a moment, the face of Ned Nelson was shown bare, and then he let out a ridiculous amount of gas. His impromptu lunch wasn't agreeing with him.He revved the car out and away from the scene, and immediately saw the blue light special driving towards him on the street. However, they passed him by.

He was relieved, in a huge way. It had been true, that he may have been in there to perhaps get caught for a swift return to prison, but the immediate joy of seeing others besides him be the ones who would likely take the fall get left in that scene had made him realize he was ecstatic he was done with jail.

He had stolen, however, and as soon as he felt like enough distance had been put between him and the cops, he parked the car in the first overnight parking garage complex he saw and counted his newly gained fat stacks.

5 rolls of a hundred twenties, or more accurately, $10,000. He was minorly rich, assuming he didn't get caught. He dutifully counted forty bills out and sighed with relief. He had just paid his rent. He still had $9,200. He counted out another forty bills, deciding he wanted to put away for next month's in advance, and grabbed another one before stopping, and paused before pulling out yet another bill. He rolled up the extra cash and put the $1,640 in his wallet before stripping down and putting on civvy clothes, a large ill-fitting pair of sweatpants, and a t-shirt that advertised the local baseball team, the Connection City Crusaders. He stuffed the extra cash and his costume in his backpack, and kept the gloves on his hands. They were off and would need to warm up and begin to glow in order to work, but he felt better walking around with some semblance of protection when he had such a large amount (relatively) of money.

He locked up the car, checked the overnight rates, and after deeming them as an obvious gouge, mentally subtracted the $450 he'd need to keep the car here for three days, a personal rule meant for keeping heat off his ride, from his new sum, and walked out before seeing a local greengrocer and breaking a new twenty for a hoagie and a soda.

He was feeling nervous, but excited, and he couldn't wait to hole up for a few days and watch it all blow over.

"Breaking news!" The blonde reporter for channel eleven said. Ned had used the remaining cash he had allocated as extra to buy up instant noodles and Spam, and was having a nice meal of ramen with diced and grilled spam mixed in, chased by a tap water on the rocks. Rent paid and next month's safely put under his mattress, and with costume and score hidden away, Ned was feeling proud. No one had ID'd him on the way home, no one cared at all.

A good start to a holing up, as it went.

He was wearing his socks of the day, pants liberated, and in his Crusaders shirt while he futzed with a piece of poly-luminolic acid-treated cloth. It was his side project, an idea he had been messing with for a long time, a real super suit, and he found his hands experimenting with the chemical when he was bored.

On the screen, a handsome older man and the young blonde newscaster were sitting as the cameras keyed on them.

"A local burglary was foiled by a new face on the hero scene today." She said, and Ned dropped his project, pale as a ghost and focused intently on the screen.

The man began. "The scene was peaceful at People's Union Bank on 73rd street, a popular banking establishment for residents of Broadsburg's Low East neighborhood." An establishing shot of the bank Ned had robbed flashed on the screen. Had a hero showed up after he had bailed? Was someone after him?

"Suddenly, there was an intrusion. Five armed men entered the bank." Mugshots of the men he had beaten up flashed on the air.

"It was scary as hell." Said one older black woman, who Ned vaguely placed as one of the regular people in the bank. "They shot up into the ceiling and started screaming about us handing over our money." She looks frantically into the lense of the camera. "I damn near pissed my pants!"

The news anchor's voice continued. "An all too common occurrence in Broadsburg, and morseo in the Low East, Broadsburg's neighborhood with the lowest median income."

A few statistics appeared on the screen and the man went on a spiel about crime in the lower income areas of the city.

"Due to the dangers of heroics in the Low East, a hero presence has been severely lacking." He cuts to a clip from an interview the Golden Guardian did a few years back. The gold-colored helmet glittered as a processed voice garbled on.

"The problem-" Gold Guardian begins. "Is that not only is the Low East criminally backed, there's also the matter of historic hero fatalities. This job is volunteer, and not every gifted young individual wants to throw their life away cleaning up their neighborhood."

"Historically, the Low East has produced a record amount of successful heroes, and historically, the ones that stick around the Low East tend to have their gifts cut short." Guardian shrugs, "Do the math, I'm afraid. We don't have the resources to keep throwing lives away when there are global threats that we at the Wonder Guard and other teams and organizations are called to intervene in. I can't be everywhere, and there can't be a heroic presence at every street corner. That's why we have the police."

Gold Guardian was a man who wore gold power-armor strong enough to make him damn-near invulnerable. He had been the leader of the largest conglomerate of heroes, the Wonder Guard, and it's various offshoots and subsidiary teams for as long as they had existed, and his word was usually as good as anyone got when it came to what it meant to be a superhero.

"In an event which has inspired a huge backing from social media, the former villain Blaster appeared and began to defeat the robbers." Ned's mugshot and costume shot, a picture of him robbing the last bank he ever tried to before jail. The story continued and he watched with dark fascination.

A man, young and with a slight accent, began to speak. "It was <bleep> insane. I recognized Blaster right away, right? I keep up with villains and stuff, and I thought everything was about to go down- and it totally did, just in a good way though."

Security camera footage of Blaster seemingly defeating the bad guys began playing, and Ned watched in horror as he saw what the world perceived as the events of the afternoon.

He began to pace and panic and not look at the TV, which caught him ever so slightly in the act of robbing the bank, an overlooked bit of trivia in the tsunami that was the story of a baddie going straight.

Across town, a woman smiled darkly at the footage, and turned off her television, cutting off the final remarks of the newscasters.

"-and so soon after the MegMax Prison breakout-" Were the last words spoken from the report.

In her room, the woman began to chuckle.

"He's fucked." She said.

Last edited:
Part 4
May 15th, 2010

As I was lifting in the yard today, a big man came up and said I looked good. I was told by the other former villains that this was "Bog Rocket" a man named for his habit of shoving dicks in men's asses.

They told me I may need to cause some serious damage to him to stop myself from becoming a victim to his routines, and offered me some assistance in arming myself. I feel like I may be signing my life away in some regard to them while I try and save it.

Ned felt he may be about to cry, and tried to shove the feelings down. He hadn't cried in prison, and he had nearly died there more times than he could count.

In his world, there was term for what he had accidentally done. "Jackpotting" otherwise known as "Pulling a Jackpot". What it really meant was that an attractive baddie was switching sides, as named for the heroine Jackpot, a member/adversary of the punk hero group The Musketeers. She constantly switched her allegiances in the early nineties, culminating in a brief role as the leader of the team and a permanent switch to the side of the angels.

She was hot enough, and willing, to sleep with a myriad of men on either side of the karmic spectrum, and as a result of her luck powers, was constantly foiling plans.

It meant a hottie changing sides, what it meant symbolically though, was a step towards untrustworthiness. Any Jackpot was a person not to be trusted, and being one meant you were on everyone's shitlist, until you performed consistently enough to justify yourself as a good guy or a bad guy, and even then it was a past you couldn't really ever escape.

As for the traditional meaning, Ned had been told he had been pretty quite often in prison for a brief while, and there were a couple fan pages on Tumblr dedicated to him as some sort of misunderstood youth rebellion figure. He figured his hotness was a matter that depended on your taste, and that he never wanted to meet those who idealized him on the internet.

"Am I the only four-out-of-ten to Jackpot?" He mused, and thought hard about it. "Maybe they'll notice the money and I'll be called a criminal again."

He dreaded putting the television on again, as it seemed that every time he did, there was another pundit going on about him. They were dredging everything good in his past up, and completely ignoring his fairly prolific career as a petty criminal, all in the name of…

Something. To be honest, he never made it far into the opinions of the pieces. He just felt sick when he did. The worst had been when they brought up his participation in the Key Club at his high school, as something that indicated a predilection for goodness showing through at a young age instead of correctly indicating he liked being around nebbish bookworm girls as a high schooler because he thought his goth look would make them think he was 'dark and mysterious' as opposed to 'slightly gay'.

"STOP FREE ASSOCIATING!" He shouted at the screen as he shut it off. It hadn't worked anyway, and when the bible kids and goody-two-shoes had scorned him out of participating, he had just gone back to his big plans of making it rich and "showing them".

He was supposed to hole up for three days, but he wanted to hide forever, and made that his duty. No costume, no nothing, media blackout. Just watch movies and buy food from the downstairs.

But these potentially were the worst times for him. His beard had grown out some, and his hair was different, but he was THE Ned Nelson now, folk hero and bank liberator. He was an instant celebrity for SOME reason, and the effects of such attention were made even scarier by his continued willful ignorance.

The only question had been why, and he was so inundated to his new hero-support that he couldn't bring himself to research anything further. He was never socially aware to begin with, and if he had been, he might've known exactly what he represented.

Four days before the robbery debacle had gone down, the biggest megamax prison, specifically made for holding dangerous supercriminals, had been the target of a breakout.

Grey Rock Penitentiary, an isolated island off of the coast of Broadsburg, known as "East Alcatraz", had suffered the greatest breakout in the history of megamax prisons. In a single night, 100 of the biggest criminals had broken out and caused one of the largest hero crises in years. Of the 100, 7 were ultra-powerful maximum priority bad guys. Oddly, the strongest had all been broken out to fight the Wonder Guard, and were captured over the course of a day or two in an epic battle.

This meant 93 criminals of various degrees had been unleashed upon the general public of Broadsburg.

84, as of the day we see Ned cowering in his apartment. One of those men brought to justice by the machinations of one seemingly reformed villain.

In this instance, the reason so many rallied behind Blaster was as his symbol status. He had showed up, beaten ass, and hadn't claimed the reward one got for bringing in one of the supercriminals, a newer measure enacted by the government in a time of crisis, ensuring the participation not only of heroes in the chase, but any enterprising person who thought they could get their hands on them.

All it took was one guy commenting on twitter that the reason Blaster hadn't claimed the reward was because he must've realized that he had to do his part and pay back society for it, as the money one got for bringing in a lower ranked villain like Kitty-Cat, the alias of one of the thieves from the bank when he dressed up in a costume, had been about $60,000. The idea began to take off like wildfire, and with every passing day of Ned holing up and not appearing publicly, he inadvertently stoked those fires even more.

Eventually, a twitter page for Blaster appeared. It had all the right info, all the right knowledge, and a picture of him in costume that no one else had been able to find anywhere else on the internet, and tweeted a single thing.

"Keep on fighting everyone. #Megmax".

The woman behind the twitter account looked at her work and smiled, as the retweets and likes began to pour in, and decided it was about time to bring her new pawn into the fold.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. We'll see, I suppose...
Well, I think he either gets to be disposable "heroic" pawn, but one can live with that, if his PR master started the process on such a high note, or worse - prisoner of politics. And that's what renders him screwed. Mastermind with ideas and most likely not always gentle methods of handling those in her web...

We'll see

Well, I think he either gets to be disposable "heroic" pawn, but one can live with that, if his PR master started the process on such a high note, or worse - prisoner of politics. And that's what renders him screwed. Mastermind with ideas and most likely not always gentle methods of handling those in her web...

We'll see
Without giving away too much, this is a redemption story, so it isn't going to roll in a dark direction quite yet, but I'm excited that you're excited. Keep reading!

Without giving away too much, this is a redemption story, so it isn't going to roll in a dark direction quite yet, but I'm excited that you're excited. Keep reading!
Honestly, to be a good guy, Ned feels like he just needs some therapy and some positive relations.

Part 5
May 15th, 2010

There's a serious misconception about the inner workings of prisons. Namely, in the form of contraband. This place runs on what you can get from the outside, and I can't get jack fucking shit. Now, being a young guy with little to no criminal record was probably the only reason I didn't get a more serious sentence, but it also means I have no one I can rely on. Mom and Dad… well.

I have nothing to trade, except myself, and that can be rough.

I'm managing to keep safe in here, but there's not much more I can do by myself to stave off a confrontation of some sort, I'm too high profile to duck my head and serve my time. I'm going to have to make a choice soon on whether I'm going to throw my life in with the "ex-costumes" as they like to be called.

Hibiscus Jones was a former leg-breaker. She had gotten picked up off the street at twelve by Stonefoot's criminal organization, and was raised in the life of crime. She had seen Kill Bill a few years ago, and had laughed at how old the women had been when they had been trained to fight, because she had been much younger.

Then she realized that, when no one else had laughed, that she should begin looking for a new sort of career opportunity.

As opposed to a personal problem solving leg-breaker working for a shady kingpin-type, she was now a bad-ass bounty hunting superbabe. She had decided on the title herself, and she was trying her hardest to live the good life, taking down bad people and getting hella rich on the side.

The only problem was, she wasn't any sort of detective, she had no real marketable skills besides being the hottest ninja possibly ever.

She was 6'4" and toned, she wore tight red leather and rode a red crotch-rocket Honda, and she was an ebony goddess, but the fact of the matter was that she wasn't really good at finding criminals. She had never been tasked with finding bad guys, only with killing them if they crossed Stonefoot, which was often. She was confident that if she had some sort of way to get to her prey, she could be making cash hand over fist thanks to the 100 breakout.

But she, again, had nothing. She didn't even know where to start, so after her grueling workout, she was sure she was going to waste another day doing nothing. But when she turned on her TV that morning, she had seen something incredible.

The guy from 7-11 was on television, and he was foiling a robbery. She didn't see his face in the video, no one had any sort of recent photo of him, but she had a knack for remembering faces, and the guy whose mugshot was on the television was definitely the guy from the 7-11 on Cross Avenue. Hair was red and cropped short now, and he had a bit of a beard, and a whole hell of a lot of less eyeliner, but it was definitely him.

She slowly began to form a plan. This guy was in prison, for being a supervillain, and he was out, and had made a grab for the bounties. Maybe he'd be interested in teaming up with her? He was just out of prison after all, and she was a fine woman. She looked at herself in a nearby mirror and shook the maybe out of her head. This guy would be into teaming up with her.

But, Hibiscus was never one to go into a situation blind, and so she pored over the data she had about Ned Nelson. Whatever she found went into helping her with her pitch to the guy. Basically, her plan was to be sexy and smart, and show this guy that all he really needed to do was point her in the direction of bad guys, she'd take 'em out (dead or alive, whatever) and they'd split it 50-50.

No, 60-40.

70-30.

75-25, she'd be doing the work, after all.

80-20.

So, he'd get a nice fat 15% of the bounty, and all he had to do was point people out. Basically be a pair of eyes connected to a head, and he'd earn his 10%. She was excited, she knew this plan would work, even if she needed her feminine wiles to do so, and then she saw it.

It was a minuscule piece of the puzzle of Ned Nelson as a whole, but it nagged at the back of her mind like an itch that just wouldn't go away.

If he was there to help, why did he put something in his pocket?

Now, Hibiscus was no security expert, but it didn't seem like on his person there was anything for Mr. Nelson to lose as he jumped over the concrete table he had used for his cover during the shootout. Hibiscus may not have been any sort of scientist, but she knew body language. There had been nothing in Nelson's pockets before, but they definitely looked full when he had stood up to take the last guy out. They were practically bulging with some sort of newfound weight.

Then she realized what had actually been happening, and a different sort of plan formed in her head, one powered by the newfound spite she had for this little man.

He wasn't there to turn a new leaf, he was there to rob the place. He had been the unluckiest guy who had ever tried to rob a bank, as it was in the middle of being robbed, by four men and one former costumed thief named Kitty-Kat. Stupid name, if you asked her, but he had cleared a cool 60 gs doing something so absurdly dumb.

She went to twitter and smiled. She knew how she'd get this guy in her pocket. Forget asking nicely, this was the sort of situation where her former job's skill set came in handy. She set up a twitter account, named it Blaster, and found a photo of him deep in the web from some low-ranked paper from Maine, and edited it enough so that it seemed natural, and made an account. @TheRealBlaster.

Then she made a tweet, and put all the hopes and dreams people had latched onto this fool and sent it out into the world. She had seemingly confirmed to all the people out there that Blaster had made a public statement. People searching for him were the first to pour on the retweets and likes, and it was gone.

Right into the ether, there was the plan. She was going to blackmail this man into helping her. She knew exactly how she'd do it, too.

Last edited:
"Because Ned Nelson, as of this moment, is not really of any use to me." Aleks replied. "I'd much rather talk about Blaster."
I smell strong inspiration from Luthor here. Slightly or highly amoral buisnessperson with deadly chauffeur, inviting... questionable "hero" into some shady or not so shady plan. Oh, Ned, your future gets more and more interesting with every update.

I smell strong inspiration from Luthor here. Slightly or highly amoral buisnessperson with deadly chauffeur, inviting... questionable "hero" into some shady or not so shady plan. Oh, Ned, your future gets more and more interesting with every update.
Thanks, I love the feedback. Aleks Boothbay is a sort of repurposing of a character I was going to end up with in a short story I was writing for Lex Luthor. Now that you mention it I should revisit that...

Thanks, I love the feedback. Aleks Boothbay is a sort of repurposing of a character I was going to end up with in a short story I was writing for Lex Luthor. Now that you mention it I should revisit that...
I think Aleks will run Blaster through a few heroic missions, possibly with a team of equally dubious heroes, and then uses him to do something where his new image will be useful, but of equally dubious nature. But Ned's luck/"luck" kicks in!
Alternatively, ads. Ads work. Ads generate money, ads provide sponsorship, let's cover our incredibly, spectacularly popular hero in ads. Aren't it villaneous?

I think Aleks will run Blaster through a few heroic missions, possibly with a team of equally dubious heroes, and then uses him to do something where his new image will be useful, but of equally dubious nature. But Ned's luck/"luck" kicks in!
Alternatively, ads. Ads work. Ads generate money, ads provide sponsorship, let's cover our incredibly, spectacularly popular hero in ads. Aren't it villaneous?
An interesting theory. I look forward to hearing from you in the next few installments.

Back