[X] Put the towing shackle on the Columbia Challenger, she's the fastest
[X] We have time. Give the people a bit of a show before we land outside of town.

[X] I bet we can set down just outside the station. Won't that look impressive?

[X] Charlie Brown
:V

Character Sheet
Cassius "Cas" Vidal, Farmer
Hard -4, Keen +3, Calm +1, Daring +3

Stress: 5
Unspent XP: 0
Vices: None*

Special Moves:
Barnstormer: When you put on a show for people on the ground and make it fancy and dangerous, take +1 Ongoing to Press the Issue with them.
Breeze in your Hair: When you fly without fighting, remove 3 Stress.
It's Working!: When you modify a plane yourself, roll +Daring. On a 16+, you can install 1þ of free upgrades along with what you paid for. On a miss, things break.
Falling Leaf: You can descend up to three altitude without gaining speed

*Farmers don't start with any vices, sweet innocent cinnamon rolls that they are

Wills Model B
Wingspan: 6m
V_Min: 40kph at 3MP of load, 30kph at 2MP, 10kph at 1MP
V_Max: 150kph at 3MP of load, 160 at 2MP, 170 at 1MP
DNE: 240kph
Thrust: +30kph
Fuel efficiency: 9 fuel/MP
Stability +0, Handling +2 at 3MP of load
Ideal Control Range: 40kph-120kph

The Wills Model B can take up to 2MP of fuel and 2MP of cargo, but more than three MP of load at take off will make your landing gear, you, and your mechanic very unhappy, in roughly that order.

Thesis Statement has a V_Min of 20kph, sort of, a V_max of 120kph, and a DNE uncomfortably close to that. The "sort of" comes from Thesis Statement gracefully descending to pick up speed instead of entering an uncontrollable stall. This is what lets Theo do near-vertical landings.

Patchwork has a V_min of 90 kph at full load, V_max of 150kph, and a DNE of 540kph. Yes, you read that right, five hundred and forty kilometers per hour Patchwork has managed to survive the last half-dozen incidents that should have killed Fat Steve, and so is ludicrously sturdy, even if she handles like a drunken cow on ice skates.

Last edited:
Falling Leaf: You can descend up to three altitude without gaining speed
"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
And now I've made myself worried...
*Farmers don't start with any vices, sweet innocent cinnamon rolls that they are
Should we feel bad when we undoubtedly change this?
Quick clarification: this basically means that we can't actually get the plane to go fast enough for DNE to be a problem? Love the phrasing, but not exactly 100% clear with no chance for misunderstanding

[X] I bet we can set down just outside the station. Won't that look impressive?

[X] Sköll
The dear will chase the sun and reach the skyss

Last edited:
"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
Falling leaf is based off of a WWI combat maneuver of the same name, which involved almost stalling out one wing and sideslipping, the wiggling the rudder to almost stall out the other wing and sideslip in the opposite direction.

Should we feel bad when we undoubtedly change this?
Maybe. A Vice that you have is also one that you know how to manage, and where your limits for indulgence are. I did consider giving Cas the Drinking vice, because this is pre-prohibition not!America, which had a very strong drinking culture. Right now, Cas doesn't have a good understanding of his limits, which means you always count as trying a Vice for the first time, even if you've been going out drinking every night for the last week.

Or who knows? Y'all might decide to have Cas enjoy some cannabis and trashy novels. Yes, trashy novels can be a vice. :V

Quick clarification: this basically means that we can't actually get the plane to go fast enough for DNE to be a problem? Love the phrasing, but not exactly 100% clear with no chance for misunderstanding
Haven't actually built the Patchwork or Thesis Statement in the system, but gut feeling says Patchwork has a DNE north of 400kph, and most likely between 500kph and 600kph

Haven't actually built the Patchwork or Thesis Statement in the system, but gut feeling says Patchwork has a DNE north of 400kph, and most likely between 500kph and 600kph
For reference, the P-51D Mustang cruises at 581 kph. So Fat Steve could potentially safely catch one in a dive, if he wasn't running something nuts like a dive bombing run on them. He could also potentially dive bomb almost as well if not a bit better than the Duck from the ADC quest can.

Alrighty, looks like the towing shackle is going on your plane, and you'll be doing some aerobatics before landing outside of town.

Could I please have two rolls of 2d10+3?

So...falling with style?
Oh yes. Imagine one was in an OA R1A1 Dragonfly, traveling at high speed. There is a fight below you. You can dive and take damage, spend time shedding speed, or pull a falling leaf.

Brush up on your aerobatics and dogfighting terminology, because if you want to tailslide into a Cuban Espaden eight, it helps to know what you're doing.

The tailslide originated as a WWI evasive maneuver, is heckin' dangerous, and looks really cool when pulled off. Of course, it's canon for ADC (and this Gaya) that by the time of the Akitsukini-Caspian war there is at least one published book of aerobatic maneuvers written by a barnstormer from the FCNA. Possibly Theo. :V

Apologies for slow update rate, I am starting a second job. Next week is going to be !!fun!!

1.2 Tailslide into town
You pass low over the town, looking for a good landing spot. You don't find any on the first leg, and as you pull into a steep climb, you kick the rudder over, hard. For one heartbeat, your plane is in the knife-edge position and falling, but you continue the turn, jiggle the fuel mixture, and pull back out into level flight.

It takes three more passes before you find a good landing spot. On the second pass, you start adding wiggles and a half-loop instead of the wingover, while you'd swear that Fat Steve pulls a hard turn fully within the wingspan of his plane, at speed. You're pretty sure that the only bits of Patchwork that aren't steel are the dash and skin, because if you tried a turn like that, important bits of the Columbia Challenger would decide they wanted to turn much faster or slower than the rest of it. A near miss was enough, thankyouverymuch. Theo begins demonstrating Thesis Statement's unique capabilities, crabbing her sideways with the engine pointing close to sixty degrees off axis. Well, at least more than forty-five, which is damn impressive.

You dive low over the town, buzzing the main drag, before pulling back on the stick, hard. The nose rises up, and up, and up, until the little plum bob you hung from the top wing is pointing over your head. For a moment, the wind stops, and you hang in the air.

And then you fall. Backwards.

You move the stick, and turn the mix to full rich. The semi-radial roars(1) to life as you wrestle your plane through a quarter-loop backwards and nose down, trying to get above your stall speed before you lose enough altitude you can't recover.

A thick rope drifts past your vision.

Oh. Right.

Theo's glider.

You bank hard in the dive, rolling into a series of progressively gentler S-curves before circling back and landing on the patch of grass you managed to find. Fat Steve is already down, and when you hop out of the Challenger, Skoll(2) at your heels, you're pretty sure that there are three furrows in the ground, rather than two, and one of them is rather further out to the sides.

And here comes Theo himself, pulling back and landing nearly vertically.

As the three of you get the mail to the train station, you tell Theo and Fat Steve about the glider, and how while you weren't able to keep a close eye on it, it didn't feel like it was bucking or trying to fall out of the sky. Well, except when you had pulled a tailslide while towing it, but you're pretty sure no plane could do that anyways, and there might never be an engine small and powerful enough to allow a plane to hang vertically for more than a few seconds.

The post is handed off, you get paid without issue, and as you you're counting the money you hear the whistle of the train pulling in.

Because things are not going to make it easy for you to pick up stress, I'm going to give you five (5) Stress right now.

You are in a strange town, where you don't know anybody. Fat Steve is already half-hidden behind a newspaper he bought on your way out of the station, and Theo has lit his pipe and is staring off into space. You've got half a day left before the sun sets.

Wat do? (Approval voting is allowed, but only one will win)
[ ] Drum up business. People always love a show, and passing the hat can mean the difference between a nice meal and asking for charity
[ ] Get drunk, you don't have anything better to do.
[ ] Follow Fat Steve. He seems to know what he's doing.
[ ] Follow Theo. Whatever happens, it'll at least be interesting.
[ ] Write-in

1 As much as it can roar, anyway. It's fairly quiet as far as engines go, mainly because it is tiny. Patchwork's W9 can often be heard from the other side of town, or over steam whistles.
2 Who'sagooddoggie?

did some playing around with the engine builder and the plane builder to get actual stats for Patchwork, which is why the update is so late tonight. Updates will be... sporadic going forward, because I have a second job. Good news, I have a second job.

[X] Drum up business. People always love a show, and passing the hat can mean the difference between a nice meal and asking for charity

[X] Drum up business. People always love a show, and passing the hat can mean the difference between a nice meal and asking for charity

I realized I may have articulated the option for drumming up work badly.

You have enough money right now to last a few days. Maybe longer, depending on how frugal you are.

1.2.5 Find jerb
You canvass the town, looking for business opportunities.

There's the option of putting on another show or two and passing the hat, and seeing if some thrill-seekers are willing to pay to ride second. It might only cost you a day of time, and you can make good money doing it if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, of course, you'll barely break even on the gas.

The postmaster or postmistriss is almost certainly going to have work for you, and it pays well enough to keep a (mostly dry) roof over your head, gas and oil for your planes, and your choice of molasses, brown sugar, or jam on your oatmeal for breakfast, and butter and salt to go with your beans or potatoes for dinner. Maybe even some garlic or onion if you're lucky.

As you pass by a restaurant on the main drag, a businesswoman in a well-tailored dress approaches you, and asks if you and your fellow pilots could get her to Mootbluff by seven tomorrow morning. She offers a very large sum, enough that if the three of you lived modestly, it would last for at least a month or two. However, to get to Mootbluff by that time, you'd need to take off well before sunrise, and spend over three and a half hours in the air.

[ ] Put on another show and pass the hat
[ ] Carry some letters. Maybe there will be better work in the next town.
[ ] Ferry the business woman to Mootbluff

IT LIVES! Ish. This is mostly some quick filler so we can figure out what your next job is. Two jobs still, and trying to unscramble my schedule still.

Last edited:
[X] Ferry the business woman to Mootbluff

This looks like one hell of an opportunity, even with the risks of night flying in this era.

As someone who's currently up at fuck-me o'clock, this one:

[X] Ferry the business woman to Mootbluff

It speaks to me (possibly saying "fuck that, go back to sleep", but I'm not listening too closely).

Back