[AU][Age Swap] The Woman In Apartment 302

Created
Status
Complete
Watchers
Recent readers

In which Colin Wallis, fifteen years old, runs away from home shortly after triggering. Taylor Hebert takes him under her roof.
A few words before you start
Pronouns
He/Him
This story takes place in an alternate universe where Colin and Taylor's generations are swapped, and will not follow the rails or station of canon. The story will be in Colin's point of view and will mostly focus on him, Taylor and original characters, although another canon character will make a brief appearance. Scion, Cauldron and the Endbringers are irrelevant and will not appear.

This story is fully pre-written, standing at 30 chapters, and will update daily until completion. Please focus on the story being told rather than chapter length.

Thanks for @breakingamber's snip Flip-Swap for inspiring this story

Content Warnings for:
  • Character Death
  • Mild Gore
  • Implication of child neglect
  • Murder
I hope you have a good time!

Last edited:
Where the Grass Is Greener
Colin thinks he might have made a mistake.

Not about leaving — leaving was the right decision. But maybe he shouldn't have been so rash about it, should have planned and prepared in advance rather than just taking the first bus he found instead of going home.

(He couldn't have. He couldn't have made himself continue like that, business as usual as if the last few months hadn't happened, as if he hadn't learned how useless he is when things turn bad, and if he had, somehow, he wouldn't have left at all.)

It's fine. It's not like he will be missed. If he's lucky, it might take a day or two for his father to realize he's gone. He won't be found.

He won't be found, and the weapon in his pocket might still be rough and unfinished, but it will be enough to keep him safe until he can improve it. Make it useful. Make it better.

He's a few cities away from home now. This should be far enough.

Colin gets off the bus.

Last edited:
It's fine. It's not like he will be missed. If he's lucky, it might take a day or two for his father to realize he's gone. He won't be found.
You know, at first I thought he was talking about committing suicide so even if I knew the story couldn't be from his point of view if he died, I was rather relieved when I got to "keep him safe" and realised he is simply running away (as if it's that much better).
Edit: I had forgotten that theses stories came with blurbs.
I blame the notification process for people you follow. /jk

Last edited:
Ooh can't wait until we find out whether adult Taylor is a hero or a villain.

Wait. Does that mean Alec would be his own father's father?? Does Taylor have kids that are actually her parents in Canon??

The story sounds like it'd be real different because of everyone's different ages.

Diamonds In the Rough
Brockton Bay is a miserable place for a homeless teenager to live in, but that is likely true of any city, and so, Colin makes do.

He's fine. He sleeps in an abandoned building with a few other squatters, and goes to another, emptier one to build his things.

It's slow going. He has no issues gathering scraps of iron or aluminum, but he has little in the way of copper and gold, and has to improve his circuitry using crushed graphite from stolen pencils.

It still feels good. The feeling of improving, of getting better, the knowledge that he will be able to actually do something now. The calm and the silence, only broken by the buzzing of flies looking for an escape from the sun. The freedom. Knowing that no one else has power over him.

It makes up for the lack of food and the uneasy nights.

Food for Thoughts
Colin, it turns out, isn't nearly as good at pickpocketing as he is at making weapons.

"You know," the woman says, hand still clasped around his wrist, "you could have asked. I would have bought you some food."

Colin represses the urge to hiss at her, and attempts a charming smile instead. The woman appears unimpressed.

It might be the homelessness.

Plan B it is, then.

Colin wrenches his arm from the woman's hand. Her grip is surprisingly firm, but she does let him go.

She looks at him, up and down, and this time, Colin does snarl.

Her face remains neutral, as inexpressive as a mask.

"Come on," she says eventually. "Breakfast is on me. You look like you need it."

She walks away, and Colin hesitates for a second before following her.

It's fine. He has the Knife in his pocket, the one he made himself, and she's tall, but pale and thin-boned and gangly and she doesn't look armed.

If he needs to, he can take her.

At the end of the meal, she offers for him to come live with her.

The Spider's Parlor
Taylor's home turns out to be a comfortably-sized two bedroom apartment on the third floor of a residential building, second of five of the same type.

It might not be the best idea, going with her, but Colin… Well. He would be lying if he said the thought of clean sheets and free food isn't tempting.

(It's fine. It's not like going back home. Different town, different place, and he can leave any time he wants. He's still the one holding the cards. He's not…)

(He's not helpless)

At first glance, the apartment seems pretty normal. Cozy. Nothing weird or suspicious, unless Colin counts the terrarium and the gigantic spider it houses.

"Her name is Athena," Taylor says, noticing his look. "She's venomous. Don't touch her."

'Athena' is the most enormous spider Colin has ever seen, probably around nine inches big if he counts the legs, its body alone the size of his palm, a purple nightmare of sharp hair and poison.

"I hope you aren't scared of spiders," Taylor says, and Colin bristles.

"Of course not!" he says. "And anyway, Arachne's the spider, not Athena."

Taylor's expression doesn't change.

"Athena got the last word," she says.

Colin doesn't know what to say to that.

Trust and Verification
Colin is pouring himself a bowl of cereal when Taylor comes to talk to him.

"You don't need to keep your coat on inside, you know," she says, voice level. "I can lend you a sweater if you're cold."

Colin isn't cold. He's careful.

It has been a few days since he went with her. She gave him her spare bedroom and she cooks him breakfast and dinner and she lets him take snacks from her kitchen closets and she lends him jeans and a spare tee-shirt, and they feel weird but they're clean, and…

It doesn't mean anything. She could just be pretending, luring him into a false sense of security to do… Something.

It has only been a few days.

People aren't nice like that if they're not getting paid for it somehow.

"I'm fine," Colin says.

His coat is the only thing he owns with pockets big enough to hide the Knife.

Oh Colin, my sweet summer child, she is the incarnation of biblical swarm and big brother, she knows you have it and dont care about it

Look Under the Welcome Mat
Taylor's apartment is nice and comfortable and all, and she lets Colin close the door of the spare room where he sleeps, but it doesn't have a lock, and the walls are thin.

He can't trust that anything he will hide in there won't be found.

Drawings. Pencils. Wires and scraps of metal.

He can't trust he won't be heard.

"I'm going out," Colin says, and Taylor nods.

"Here," she says, and she hands him something small and metallic.

"A key?" Colin says.

She meets his eyes, face as level as ever. It's nice, really, how calm she always is. It makes her hard to read, yes, but it's soothing, comforting. Like he doesn't have to dissect her expression to guess if he said the wrong thing. Like he didn't say the wrong thing.

"In case you get back while I'm not here," she says.

Colin looks down at the key in his palm, grey and small. He's not sure what to make of it.

"Okay," he says. "Anyway, I'm going."

He has plans for this afternoon. Checking on his half-finished projects, making sure they don't get stolen or damaged, trying to find stuff he can use to improve them.

Actually working on them.

So much to do, so little time.

"Thanks," he says.

He will think later about what it means.

Turn Over Your Coat
"You need clothes," Taylor says, and Colin privately agrees. His old outfit was unsalvageable, and Taylor's spares are simultaneously too big and too small and most uncomfortably women's clothes.

It doesn't matter if it's not obvious. Colin knows.

It doesn't mean he's going to beg.

"I don't have money," Colin says.

"I know," Taylor says. "I'm paying. Now come along."

"I'm not your pet," Colin says before he can stop himself, and Taylor pauses in the door.

"No," she agrees, still incredibly calm. "You're not a pet."

She leaves. After a second of hesitation, Colin follows.

The trip goes faster than Colin expected.

He doesn't pick anything fancy. He's not paying, after all, and he has no desire to test the limits of Taylor's strange generosity. Simple, sturdy things, easy to clean or to repair. He's thinking about learning how to sew somehow.

Taylor doesn't question the shoulder bag he adds to the pile. He doesn't protest the heavy jacket she selects in his size.

They stop to buy waffles on the way back.

I got the impression that they don't exchange more than a dozen sentences in a day and that most of them are not longer then five words, but I really like their relationship.

The emphasis on Colin being uncomfortable with women's clothes got me thinking this might be a transmasc Colin but at the same time I might just be looking too far into it. Anyway, I really like how well you sell Colin's wariness. It's helped a bit by Meta Knowledge cluing us in that Taylor may be a bit sus, but the early chapters do a great job establishing how Colin's history with his family & on the streets would damage his ability to trust.

The emphasis on Colin being uncomfortable with women's clothes got me thinking this might be a transmasc Colin but at the same time I might just be looking too far into it.
That's not something that is plot relevant or really comes up again, but transmasc Colin is always living rent-free in my head, and it is what i had in mind with that line, so I'm really happy it came across (even if I wasn't really expecting it to).

Back