Athens 1206 CE ISOTed to 430 BCE

So in that sense, Medieval Athens might look like Macedonia to the Ancient Attics indeed: A population going "bar bar bar" :V , ruled by an elite trying to appear as Greek as possible. And, well. Macedonia only really got "accepted" by the Greeks once they no longer could ignore its military, heh.

Well, actually I think this one is especially interesting, because its ruling class is specifically doing the opposite of being Greek. La Roche (as with many other Frankocratic Crusaders) completely dismantled the Greek-speaking bureaucracy because he didn't trust them, replacing them with the Burgundian-style feudalism with which he was familiar, leading to a massive decrease in taxation, trade, customs and the general ability to mobilize resources. This, I think is actually the biggest threat to Athens at early- namely the very obvious barbaros nature of the La Roches, a monarchy )i.e. already not well-seen in Greece) that is in fact doing its very best to establish power through the use of non-Greek-speaking Rhomans and their seemingly complete incapability to marshal resources to stop themselves from constantly falling into debt and almost comedic levels of fiscal incompetence. They are capable of giving any Greek army a run for their money, but if they're incapable of actually funding anything in their state, they may very well soon find themselves ousted - and in this world, they have no Vatican or Venice to loan them money.

Regarding the language, in Medieval Greece, "Classic Greek", which was basically pre-Koine Attic, was still the language of "sophistication", of culture and high class. There was a very wide diglossia, with several registers - the vernacular actually spoken in the streets, Koine (already rather archaic) for common education and religion (the Bible was in Koine, after all), and Ancient Attic if you really wanted to be someone. And to a large degree the registers, or at least the medieval vernacular and Ancient Attic, were not mutually intelligible.
Actually, I believe the language of sophistication, culture and high class will be Epic Greek- the variant found in the Homeric texts, not what we would call "Classical" Greek, which never really existed as a single language but was a dialect continuum comparable to say, German dialects in the early 19th century.

Is there a chance that the Medieval Greeks would be starved out? While I don't think the ancients could win a siege, they could just besiege, then pillage the surrounding areas?

I don't think the Medieval Greeks would have enough of a technological and experience advantage to overcome the sheer numbers disadvantage they'd have.

Well, the problem is that the ancient Greeks are simply not very good at laying siege and would be attempting to lay siege to the premier harbour in Greece - which even during Constantinopolitan times was the second-greatest harbour and was largely spared the excesses Constantinople was faced with - with fortresses that so thoroughly put any fortress in ancient Greece and indeed I believe the whole entire world to shame that it is almost comedic while also facing against cavalry far superior to their own. How will they effectively establish cavalry superiority and foraging parties to pillage the surrounding countryside when the men-at-arms and horsemen of the Duchy are more than equal of the Thessalians and better armoured too? And again, who would be attacking them and why? More likely, people will be taking the opportunity to pick apart the Delian League and sending out feelers if the new Athenians are effective allies in some new coalition. Certainly, Lakedaimon will be far more pleased with a monarchic state that is easier to make agreements with than the fickle and war-hungry rower democracy of classical Athens and will be in no hurry to declare war on them any time soon.

Last edited:
Starve out the primary harbour of the Greek peninsula?
Also, only the city ISOTed, so the surroundings are Ancient Attican anyway. I would expect that if any conflict breaks out, it would be between Ancient Attica and Medieval Athens first of all. In a way, that would even fit right in with the Classic World: Just another ideological factional conflict about the political setup of a polis.

But I don't think the Atticans will submit to some foreign monarchy, in any case.

Hmm, but since this is in the midst of war, I think a lot of the people usually in the countryside would have been in Athens when the ISOT happens.

The arrival of the uptimers might be seen as a religious event by both groups- though it's uncertain if the uptimers will see it as a blessing or curse , and the downtimers will likely see the uptimers as chosen of the gods perhaps, or servants of a new god?

I could see Christ ending up in the Greek Pantheon.

"Son of God" is a pretty easy setup for "oh well just another of Zeus' bastards right?"

That might be what Christ ends up , the nicest of the bastards, god of Mercy or something. Hera has him crucified.

"Son of God" is a pretty easy setup for "oh well just another of Zeus' bastards right?"
They could also go for someone older's kid, since one of the things Jesus was known for was repeatedly giving Thanatos and Hades the finger (himself and Lazarus) and both of those tend to be too much for a mere bastard of Zeus to deal with (even Herk had difficulty with the former compared to the ease Jesus had).

On second thought, Jesus is known for a lot of things that are in other gods wheelhouses (water to wine, multiplying food, resurrection, healing with a touch, etc), so I have no idea what the greeks would make of him. Maybe they'll decide he was the first of an attempt by all the gods to make a better race of man, thus making him the son of the gods?

Back