As Black As Fate: A Mormegil Quest (ASOIAF/LOTR)

Why are people voting to free him when we sided with the other side earlier, gain nothing from this and only have one side of the story.

Because I didn't vote to side with the sister fucking pyromaniac sadists originally, and now that we know we just went and sided with the wrong group, well, I'd rather free Stark, go in and request the truth from Connington. Which, if he refuses, will be met with some very unpleasantness on his part.

Because at the end of the day, Rhaegar isn't king, Aerys is and that guy gets aroused by burning people

And Rhaegar literally would be no improvement. The guy kidnapped the daughter of a LP, who was betrothed to another LP, while himself was married to the sister of a THIRD LP, and then sat out most of the war in his little lovenest.

That shows quite a lack of basic thinking skills.

And taking the word of Jon, Mr. "Rhaegar can do no wrong, shut up", the guy whose worldview is summed up in this comic, is just flat out STUPID.

Right @MrHam31 @Halcyon @Aburg7 @Kerfirou @MechaJesus @Thule @godofsmallthings @always_confused

If you guys were to consolidate your vote under:
[] Cut him free. Toss your cloak over him and sneak him out through the throng. You will not ally yourself with him, but neither can you leave him to the predations of House Targaryen. You will return to Connington's camp afterwards.

Then we should tie with the Leave Him To His Fate option that is currently leading.

We do we care about any of this, none of it concerns us we have literal mission from god everything else is a distraction.

Switching sides right away is a dumb idea.

I wouldn't have voted for backing connington, as he's an ass, but seriously, please do not pull a USA in Iraq.

[X] (Write in) Confirm the story. Stark's account is troubling. If the Royal Family is truly so depraved, this kingdom is in dire straights indeed. Find out if it is indeed so bad as he says.

Last edited:
We do we care about any of this, none of it concerns us we have literal mission from god everything else is a distraction.
We came down to hear Ned's side of the story, and presuming Ned is telling the truth, even if it is an incredibly biased story, than his family really was executed through being burned to death because that isn't an event that is up to perspective. The reasons for being burned to death might not be exactly true, but the event itself can be confirmed.

Now lets look at this from Túrin's point of view. A man who's coat of arms is a dragon, a creature of evil, burned people alive. The king is mad and cruel at best, a follower of Morgoth at worse.

Also from a meta perspective, Aerys is probably going to try and execute most of the heads of houses from the regions that rebelled agianst him rather than just the major players like a normal king because he's a paranoid monster.

[X] Cut him free. Toss your cloak over him and sneak him out through the throng. You will not ally yourself with him, but neither can you leave him to thepredations of House Targaryen. You willreturn to Connington's camp afterwards.

You will return to Connington's camp afterwards.
And no one will suspect us? The tall, dark, mysterious and dangerous foreign Lord who arrived at Westeros during the middle of a rebellion, probably looking to take advantage of the unrest and destabilise the unity of the Kingdoms?
[] (Write in) Confirm the story. Stark's account is troubling. If the Royal Family is truly so depraved, this kingdom is in dire straights indeed. Find out if it is indeed so bad as he says.
Frankly, this seems more reasonable.

[X] Do nothing. He has told you all he knows, and it is obviously the truth he believes, but you will not free a prisoner of war on a simple impassioned speech from his own point of view. You are best served now by returning to Connington and attempting to figure out the identity of the Little Lion.

Right, looks like the winner is clear. Voting closed, update coming soon.
Adhoc vote count started by Gamefreak1ed on Jul 7, 2017 at 9:49 AM, finished with 74 posts and 47 votes.

0.7: The Griffin and the Dragon
You set your jaw. His tale is heartwrenching, to be sure, but you have seen worse, suffered worse. Whether or not his tale changed your view of the Targaryens you have set yourself alongside, you will not risk the alliances you have already made in trying to free him, or worse, allying with him. You cast a final glance at the wolf lord, and his piercing glare tells you that you will learn nothing more from him. Without a word, you turn and exit the musty cellar, leaving Lord Stark to his imprisonment. Behind you, the lordling's voice echoes, colder than the winter winds.

"Do not play with dragons, sellsword, else their fire consumes you in turn."

The guard at the door bows his head in respect as you push your way back into the throng of dying men and praying soldiers.

As you make your way back down the hill, you reflect on what you have learned. This land is called Westeros, and it is divided into Seven Kingdoms, ruled for lifetimes by the House Targaryen, whose sigil is the Dragon. Monstrous improprieties on the part of House Targaryen, including kidnapping and murder without trial, have led several of these kingdoms to rise up against their over-king, one Aerys Targaryen. While all seem to agree that this Aerys is unequivocally mad, opinion on his son, Prince Rhaegar, seems divided--the common soldiers of the royalist army talk of him as some sort of god, Lord Stark seems to think him a devil in the flesh, and Lord Connington's eyes flash with something you cannot read every time he speaks the man's name.

But you have had your fill of this land's politics, however bloody and murderous they might be. You walk back through the stony streets, packed tight with the wounded and the dying, screaming high and shrill. But your eyes are not on them. Through the smoke, through the sky almost clouded with ash, you can just make out a string of shimmering stars, otherworldly and familiar all at once. As you watch, a voice intones in your mind, and you are not certain it is your own.

Follow the Star to the Sea, and find the Little Lion.

When you arrive at Connington's tent, the throng of messengers has dwindled to a trickle, and only a handful of soldiers stand guard outside, each with a roaring griffin on their hauberks. Like the guard in the sept, they merely nod with respect. The men of the army have a clear idea of exactly who it is they owe their victory and survival to. You stride past them into Connington's spacious tent. It is set up with chairs, tables, and desks, all of which are scattered with maps and hastily scrawled messages from all corners of the front. Books on tactics and warcraft lie open on more than one surface, flipped haphazardly to relevant pages. In the middle of it all is the Hand of the King, Myles Mooton standing quietly at his side. They stand before a large desk in the middle of the tent, on which has been laid out a massive map of a continent you can only assume is Westeros itself. Pieces, obviously representing armies, have been laid out carefully across it's surface--a curved, stylistic dragon's head for the Targaryens, and a noble stag's visage for the rebel Baratheons.

As you watch, he moves a stack of dragons across a large river in the middle of the country, towards a smaller stack of stags, trapping them between the river and another approaching army of dragons.

"...fence him in and force him to make for the Trident. We can smash his forces there." Mooton says, his tone insistent.

"Yes, but if he turns for Riverrun, Tully's fresh forces can supply and bolster him there. And Arryn's banners are marching from the Vale to join him. We could capture Robert at the Trident, yes, but the risk of being attacked from behind by his allies is too great."

"Has Lord Tywin responded to..." Myles catches sight of you first, and the words rolling from his tongue slow and stop as he gives you a respectful nod. You do not miss the implication--they trust you, but not enough to openly discuss war plans around you.

"Ah, Lord Hador." Jon moves away from the map and his plans for war, greeting you with a thin smile. His use of your House's name is odd, but you have already familiarized yourself with the Westerosi convention of addressing one with his house name. "I've been expecting you. I trust your visit with Lord Stark answered any questions you might have had?"

Without pausing, he continues. "I do not know what he told you, but I have an idea, and I do know this--he has told you the truth. Aerys Targaryen burnt Rickard Stark and murdered his son. I saw it with my own eyes. I saw his skin melt and heard him scream. I will not defend that tyrant, not in closed quarters."

He fingers the pointed hand on his breast. "I never thought the day would come that I would wear this and think it a disgrace, but so it was and so it is."

You break in, your voice as pointed as the sigil of the Hand. "Then why do you serve him? Why would you die in his name?"

"In his name?" Jon's voice drips with distate. "Never. Never in his name. We may bow and grovel before Aerys, but we serve another. The rightful King, the true King."

"Jon--" Myles steps around the table, and his voice has a hint of dark warning.

"No!" Jon spins, and the Hand of the King's eyes gleam as he speaks. "If he is against us, we have already lost. He could murder both of us in moments and cut his way out of this town with nary a second thought. But if he is with us...if he is with us...we have a chance."

He turns back to you, and when he speaks again, his voice is hushed, but lacks none of it's former conviction. "We serve the true King, my Lord of Hador. We serve Rhaegar Targaryen, for he is the Blood of the Dragon. He is the rightful King of Westeros and the Seven Kingdoms. We fight this war in his name, and when it is done, we will march to King's Landing and tear the Mad King from his throne."

You break into his words sharply. "I want no part in your War, and I do not care who sits your throne. I fight by you in order to find the one I seek, nothing more."

Jon nods slowly, but you can tell from the look in his eyes that he has already considered this. "Yes, and Aerys is mercurial, as fleeting as milkglass and madder than a mummer's Fool. He could aid you, or burn you alive as a spy. Were Rhaegar to sit the Iron Throne, he could aid you. The resources of the Iron Throne would be at your beck and call. Name the one you seek."

You are quiet for a long moment. There is nothing to be lost by telling him, and much to gain. And he was correct in his assessment--neither of them, nor the guards outside, are a threat to you.

"I seek the one called the Little Lion. I do not know their name, or age, or--"

Jon lets out a barking laugh, and cannot hide the grin that stretches his face. "Whatever seer or prophetess or mad urge sent you hence has a sense of humor, milord. I know of your target, and out of goodwill, I will give you his name whether you side with us or nay: There is only one man in all the Seven Kingdoms I know who is called the Little Lion. It is a pet name Aerys uses for his most favorite member of the Kingsguard--Jaime Lannister. The man detests it, but it is what they call him throughout all the Court."

Jaime Lannister. The Lion has a name, then. Lannister. It is a name you have already heard many times in your short time here. A powerful House, with a powerful Lord, with wealth and men enough to decide the War.

Connington's grin widens as he paces his words, closing in on you like a wolf cornering his prey. "The last I saw Jaime, he stood at the Mad King's side all in white. He remains with him in King's Landing. And so it seems our goals align, my Lord of Dor-Lomin. I offer you a choice--you can continue as you have been, little better than a sellsword or hedge knight, fighting alongside our army, and perhaps you may find Jaime Lannister in King's Landing. Or...you can swear to see Rhaegar Targaryen on the Iron Throne. Give me your service, and I will give you Jaime Lannister, knee bent, in chains, dead--whatever you will. And of course, if you refuse, I am afraid I cannot let you leave the army entirely--you know far too much."

The choice is clear--you can continue along with their army, or operate alone, for the chance of finding this Lannister in the capital of a land torn apart by war, or you can pledge yourself into the service of Jon Connington and his absent master, Rhaegar Targaryen, for the certain promise of finding the Little Lion. It would make your true task far, far easier, but it would also mean entangling yourself with the politics of this land even further. Connington's eyes meet yours, and you know you must choose now.

[] Bend the knee. Swear service to Rhaegar Targaryen, the mysterious and elusive prince from whom all this world's troubles seem to spring, in hope of cutting a path of blood to King's Landing and finding the Little Lion. Jon Connington, Hand of the King, has promised you aid in your quest and your endeavors once Rhaegar is King.

[] You swear to no man, but Connington's offer is enticing. Promise him your aid in his plot, for now. Even if he does not help you afterwards, being able to make it to King's Landing with an army around you is far more promising than going it alone.

[] No, you will not aid him in his plots or schemes, and you care not who sits this Iron Throne. Refuse him gently, and march alongside his army to King's Landing. You will have to sleep with the soldiers, and there is no guarantee that you can find him whom you seek, but it is better than being embroiled in some maddening game of blood and crowns.

[] You have had enough, and you know all that you need to know. Refuse him, and leave his camp afterwards. There is nothing he or his can do to stop you. It will be nearly impossible to make it into the most secure Keep in the land without aid, but you are Turin, son of Hurin, the bane of Dragons. And this Mad King is no Glaurung.

Last edited:
Hm, I am inclined to either:

[] You swear to no man, but Connington's offer is enticing. Promise him your aid in his plot, for now. Even if he does not help you afterwards, being able to make it to King's Landing with an army around you is far more promising than going it alone.

[] No, you will not aid him in his plots or schemes, and you care not who sits this Iron Throne. Refuse him gently, and march alongside his army to King's Landing. You will have to sleep with the soldiers, and there is no guarantee that you can find him whom you seek, but it is better than being embroiled in some maddening game of blood and crowns.

We could just dispense with everything and go alone, but there would be better chances with an army around us. I assume we would want to find Jaime Lannister as soon as possible. The question is whether the aid Connington could give for such would outweigh the time cost in at least aiding Connington's plot for now.

[X] You swear to no man, but Connington's offer is enticing. Promise him your aid in his plot, for now. Even if he does not help you afterwards, being able to make it to King's Landing with an army around you is far more promising than going it alone.

[X] You have had enough, and you know all that you need to know. Refuse him, and leave his camp afterwards. There is nothing he or his can do to stop you. It will be nearly impossible to make it into the most secure Keep in the land without aid, but you are Turin, son of Hurin, the bane of Dragons. And this Mad King is no Glaurung.

[X] You swear to no man, but Connington's offer is enticing. Promise him your aid in his plot, for now. Even if he does not help you afterwards, being able to make it to King's Landing with an army around you is far more promising than going it alone.

I really don't want to kill an entire retinue in our haste. If nothing else our influence will end this war quickly...

Thinking about it, I suppose we might as well.

I'm tempted to say we don't respond well to threats but...

But, well, we're committed now. No need to make our lives difficult. Still, doesn't mean we'll bend over backwards to snakes.

[X] You have had enough, and you know all that you need to know. Refuse him, and leave his camp afterwards. There is nothing he or his can do to stop you. It will be nearly impossible to make it into the most secure Keep in the land without aid, but you are Turin, son of Hurin, the bane of Dragons. And this Mad King is no Glaurung.

[x] You swear to no man, but Connington's offer is enticing. Promise him your aid in his plot, for now. Even if he does not help you afterwards, being able to make it to King's Landing with an army around you is far more promising than going it alone.

[x] You swear to no man, but Connington's offer is enticing. Promise him your aid in his plot, for now. Even if he does not help you afterwards, being able to make it to King's Landing with an army around you is far more promising than going it alone.

[X] No, you will not aid him in his plots or schemes, and you care not who sits this Iron Throne. Refuse him gently, and march alongside his army to King's Landing. You will have to sleep with the soldiers, and there is no guarantee that you can find him whom you seek, but it is better than being embroiled in some maddening game of blood and crowns.

They stand before a large desk in the middle of the tent, on which has been laid out a massive map of a continent you can only assume is Westeros itself. Pieces, obviously representing armies, have been laid out carefully across it's surface--a curved, stylistic dragon's head for the Targaryens, and a noble, crowned stag for the rebel Baratheons.
Is that actually a thing; as if our own history had anything to say that is something that wouldn't be remotely tolerated by the ruling royal family? Are you sure it wasn't added after Robert became King?
Connington's grin widens as he paces his words, closing in on you like a wolf cornering his prey. "The last I saw Jaime, he stood at the Mad King's side all in white. He remains with him in King's Landing. And so it seems our goals align, my Lord of Dor-Lomin. I offer you a choice--you can continue as you have been, little better than a sellsword or hedge knight, fighting alongside our army, and perhaps you may find Jaime Lannister in King's Landing. Or...you can swear to see Rhaegar Targaryen on the Iron Throne. Give me your service, and I will give you Jaime Lannister, knee bent, in chains, dead--whatever you will. And of course, if you refuse, I am afraid I cannot let you leave the army entirely--you know far too much."
This actually made me dislike Connington and honestly question whether you're sure you want to use those words, as frankly it should make others around the table dislike him, as at this point in time Jaime has done nothing wrong and has only accomplishments to his name. He's also the son of a Lord Paramount and former hand, so it' not only speaks poorly of Connington, it makes him look rather stupid as that's not remotely going to be tolerated. Not by Tywin, not by the various Lord's given in this scenario presented Aerys was just removed and a member of the Kingsguard is being treated by the next King in such a fashion - particularly after what happened to the Starks - and most certainly not by the other Kingsguard themselves.

Last edited:
Is that actually a thing; as if our own history had anything to say that is something that wouldn't be remotely tolerated by the ruling royal family? Are you sure it wasn't added after Robert became King?

This actually made me dislike Connington and honestly question whether you're sure you want to use those words, as frankly it should make others around the table dislike him, as at this point in time Jaime has done nothing wrong and has only accomplishments to his name. He's also the son of a Lord Paramount and former hand, so it' not only speaks poorly of Connington, it makes him look rather stupid as that's not remotely going to be tolerated. Not by Tywin, not by the various Lord's given in this scenario presented Aerys was just removed and a member of the Kingsguard is being treated by the next King in such a fashion - particularly after what happened to the Starks - and most certainly not by the other Kingsguard themselves.

Jon is speaking for Jon in that particular piece, not Rhaegar or even Myles, who you will note doesn't exactly agree with him on everything, and Jon has his own...reasons for being so devoted to Rhaegar. Suffice to say there are few things he wouldn't do for Rhaegar Targaryen, and promises he wouldn't make to see him on the Iron Throne. He's also rather brash and reckless, and again, almost stupidly devoted to Rhaegar. Whether or not that's a good thing is up for you to decide.

And again, you don't particularly care about this, or know any of these factors.

(And nice catch with the crowned stag, you are correct in that Robert only added it to his banner after becoming King)

Back