Appeals Process Catch-22

Pronouns
He/Him
A bit ago, I found myself compelled to make an appeal, the details of which are irrelevant. In the process of figuring out how to actually do that, I ran into something that bothered me.

In the explanation for the Appeals Process, these requirements are noted:
All appeals must be made within three days of the action you are appealing.
Specifically, your appeal needs to include:

• A quoted copy of the post that was infracted;
forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Appeals Process

What you can do if you feel a Staff action was taken incorrectly.

In my case, this was a problem due to the fact that the infraction I wanted to appeal was accompanied by a thread ban that was also 3 days in length.

When thread banned, the multiquote button is disabled in that thread, making it impossible to do a proper quote through the forum software, similar to how it is disabled in locked threads. Thus why everything I'm quoting in this post were simply copy/pasted into quote tags rather than being proper quotes.

I had initially thought the threadban was a way of slyly tacking on "and no, you can't appeal" before reviewing the site rules and seeing this:
Infractions, by default, carry a 3-day ban from the thread where the infracted post was made,
forums.sufficientvelocity.com

The Rules and Procedures of Sufficient Velocity

Appeals If you believe that a disciplinary action taken by a Staff member against you on Sufficient Velocity was wrong, you may be able to have that decision reviewed through the appeals process. Most disciplinary actions on Sufficient Velocity can be appealed. You can appeal: Infractions...

In my case, the staff were lenient in allowing more time and advocates were helpful in acquiring the quotes required to properly format my appeal, but the fact that them being helpful and lenient is inherently required since by default creating a properly formatted appeal seems to be impossible rubbed me the wrong way.

When thread banned, the multiquote button is disabled in that thread, making it impossible to do a proper quote through the forum software, similar to how it is disabled in locked threads. Thus why everything I'm quoting in this post were simply copy/pasted into quote tags rather than being proper quotes.
For the record, it is possible to construct the quote through the forum software, but it takes a lot of manual fiddling. You need to manually fill in your quote block's name, member ID number and post number in addition to the text e.g. QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 30596149, member: 41780"

The member name is available in the post itself, the member ID is at the end of the URL for a member's profile (e.g. the 41708 from members/nerevar.41780/) and the post number is at the end of the post URL that you can get by clicking on the number in the post's upper-right corner.

On a related note, here's my Suggestion Box request to ameliorate this problem.

Last edited:
Perhaps the wording could be touched up a little, but when we say "A quoted copy of the post that was infracted" we basically just want the text of the post as well as a link to it (which is a separate bullet point on that list). Whether you use the precise format of a QUOTE block or something else that's clear to us isn't really an issue. The point is more to avoid a situation where we can't even tell what you're appealing and have to go digging for it.

Perhaps the wording could be touched up a little, but when we say "A quoted copy of the post that was infracted" we basically just want the text of the post as well as a link to it (which is a separate bullet point on that list). Whether you use the precise format of a QUOTE block or something else that's clear to us isn't really an issue. The point is more to avoid a situation where we can't even tell what you're appealing and have to go digging for it.

The link is really the most important part of it. Not having to click it to get a first read is welcome but you'll always have to check context anyway.

There's another catch-22 where "your appeal needs to include a quoted copy of the post that was infracted" meets "All appeals should be no more than 1,000 words". As written, an infraction on a post that's 1000 words or longer can't be appealed no matter what!

In practice, the appeal staff doesn't count the quotes towards the length limit.

There's another catch-22 where "your appeal needs to include a quoted copy of the post that was infracted" meets "All appeals should be no more than 1,000 words". As written, an infraction on a post that's 1000 words or longer can't be appealed no matter what!

In practice, the appeal staff doesn't count the quotes towards the length limit.

Usually when SV judge word counts, it's quotes excluded, yes.

Just remember arbs are looking at this in good faith. Even if you breach one of the rules on making appeals you're more likely to be told to fix it than dismissed outright.

My solution would be to use Article. Quote post in the article box and put link to the post as a source. Other option is manually building quote box, or use empty quote box with full link above it.

Back