When the Going Gets Weird
There are things man wasn't meant to know, Goto thought as Tatas paced nervously in a set of torn, butter-yellow yoga pants with butterfly patterns on the girl's hips, Especially men with jealous girlfriends.

While Nagato was calm and collected, Kongo looked like she was near a boiler explosion, and not entirely because Goto kept glancing at Tatas, but because Goto kept catching Kongo staring at Tatas. He knew a little about the symbols on Tatas' hips, anyone who dealt with destroyers had to be aware of the latest cartoons, but even he knew the symbols were only so appropriate. Tatas suddenly stopped and gracefully spun on her heel to face the Admiral, and created another thing men with girlfriends shouldn't know. Kongo of course glanced down and was reminded she was still originally a battlecruiser. Rubber was stoic throughout.

"I remembered my training. I didn't hurt them, but it was so convenient they had a van," Tatas explained. Goto's continued silence helped get the entire story out of the Abyssal fast battleship.

Goto knew, one of the rescuees wanted to join the ship-girl force, as she'd been disowned by her parents for how she'd been forced to pay their gambling debts. Since she'd passed the fluency exams for (British) English he'd put her to work. He hadn't known someone had tried to collect her to finish paying the debt. How Rubber had made them not try again but net Tatas instead was a mystery he really didn't want to know. So five, burly Yakuza grabbed 'the American Dance Student', and with their driver, found themselves in a locked van with an angry, fast battleship. Since the orders and admonitions from Houshou and Howe were to not hurt a human unless a life was in danger, she'd snapped her bonds and started eating their van from the inside.

Tatas delicately settled in a chair and with a voice as beautiful as the rest of her, explained all that happened. She'd of course eaten their weapons, promised to eat them last, and tore pieces out of the van to snack on. When they'd tried to race away from the base after trying to drop her off, that's when she'd eaten their transmission. And revealed she was an Abyssal who would enjoy crunching up their bones while they watched, since she wasn't supposed to kill them. The Yakuza were in custody, and were putting together what would officially be called an insanity defense.

"I don't blame you Tatas, Rubber can be very persuasive," Goto said and smiled for several reasons, not the least of which was Tatas' squeal of glee. The battleship almost launched herself across his desk, but thought better of it, charged over and hugged Kongo instead.

Ships can get nosebleeds, Goto noted idly.

"Rubber, unfortunately, you performed this operation without authorization. So you, will have to be punished," Goto said.

The Ru-class took it in stride. "First, you'll take Tatas out shopping to replace her damaged clothes," Goto said, and watched the Ru cringe at that, he knew what she thought of `girly shopping`, cutting off a finger would be preferable.

"Kongo too! I swear I'm part camel," Tatas said, still clutching Kongo to her, "I kinda ruined the top she lent me, all that cheap steel when straight to fat and you know where that goes."

Only on you dear, Goto thought as Kongo fainted, but Tatas still held onto her. Tatas who was facing away from him in tight yoga pants and showing the fat didn't go anywhere he was seeing, although Kongo had been gifted with a perfect, close in view.

"And Haruna, Musashi has been very helpful and deserves a treat," Goto said and saw the Ru was properly chastened, "The money will come out of the reward for capture and conviction of those individuals."

Rubber nodded, stood and saluted as if her next destination was the guest of honor at a firing squad. She headed out with Tatas still carrying the comatose Kongo.

Goto picked up a stack of papers and squared them on his desk. "So, Ooyodo, how is Rachel working out as your assistant?"

"A little too well, she needs to sleep," Ooyodo said.

"And have the weevils eat me," came from the outer office, "No chance."

Goto centered himself and prepared to delve into another bout of the psychology of ship-girls.
------------------------------

Glowworm flopped down on her bunk and moaned. "How fast does a destroyer grow up til she's 'legal'?"

Kamikaze swatted her with a pillow. "Quit mooning over Mister Howe, if you were legal, you'd be as tongue tied as every other ship-girl."

"Besides, wouldn't you want to be younger?" Fubuki asked as she stood away from the homework table and stretched, "So you could convince him to cuddle pile more often?"

"Where's this all coming from?" Akatsuki asked.

"Those protesters outside the gate at Puget Sound," Johnston said, "That contractor took a cruiser and a couple of destroyers out and the howling mob changed watching a matinee into pedo shit."

"They went to see Godzilla in the middle of the day," Kamikaze said, "And returned with a few buckets of fried chicken from different stores for a taste-test picnic."

"So why did Mister Howe get nervous about that?" Akatsuki asked.

"He's a guy too," Johnston said, "And he's already hearing a few comments about Lupo, Armidale and Curtatone."

"Projection," Hoel said as she entered with a tray of snacks, "They'd want to do it, so they assume everybody wants to lewd destroyers."

"Creepy," Glowworm said, "So what do we do about it?"

"You have some spell that'll make some of us young and others older?" Johnston asked, "Even I think that's a bad idea."

The destroyers assembled around the table, and coincidentally around the snacks, and began to draw their plans.

The Abyssal verified the moon was hidden behind a cloud, before it scrambled across the island with its cargo. If it had been anything other than a Wa-class, it might have wondered why it needed to wait for the moon to be shrouded as it walked in broad daylight.

The disrupted patch of sand was obvious, it had made this trip a few times, it hoped this would be the last. The cargo bays opened and seawater dumped into the sand and disappeared beneath it. It knew it could stop when the sea water reached the top. The top of what hadn't been explained so it could understand. So it made the cargo run, until it understood it was done.

Fortunately, it was dumping the water in the wrong place. Unfortunately, some of each load splashed onto its intended target.

Rachel didn't mind talking to the interrogator lady, she'd answered every question the others had asked, had even theorized about things, and identified objects that they had salvaged but couldn't figure out.

It's not my fault that pretty lampshades were used as ceremonial hats, Rachel groused at the one problem, read argument, she'd had with the team.

"What exactly are the weevils you are talking about," the lady asked and allowed Rachel to sigh, "Are they physical, only appearing in dreams, or something else?"

Rachel was glad she'd read Johnston's collection of Cthulhu mythos stories, it made explaining the weevils a lot easier.

The slap drew Houshou's attention, and she mentally cut off the man at the table who'd slapped Tatas' butt as she carried a laden bussing tray towards the kitchen and the dishwasher beyond.

Without spilling a glass, Tatas knelt, grabbed the chair and pressed the man against the ceiling. "You might have made me drop something and poor Houshou-san would have to replace it. Some of the regulars have a favorite glass or dish. They might have lost that. Do you understand how bad that would make them feel?"

"Hai! Hai!" the man managed as he was getting the ceiling's wood grain embossed on his face.

"Does anyone believe him?" Tatas asked, and a few compassionate souls shouted they did. Before she set the man down, she dumped him out of his chair. "If you were interesting, I'd give you a spank, but you'd probably enjoy it."

She left the man to be mortified by the other patrons as she carried the tray to the back.

Houshou knew she didn't have to discuss things with Tatas later, for the girl handled it perfectly. She thought about letting the girl sing on Karaoke night.

Akagi and Kaga found themselves in the odd situation of holding a sobbing Re-class while Rachel's tail wrapped around the trio and looked very distraught for an eyeless serpent. What disturbed the two carriers were the tiny, bloody bite marks on Rachel's arms, breasts and legs. They had remained awake, had deployed their marines and landing parties with crew-served weapons, advanced detection gear and even as many traps, planes and ambushes as the apartment's topography allowed. A modern armored company would have been hard pressed to push through the defense, ignoring the two, vigilant carriers and their Argus-eyed, air cover.

Yet, something had gotten past all that and attacked Rachel until she woke up screaming in pain.

Kaga's glance to Akagi told both that worse, Rachel had trusted them, and they had utterly failed her.

Psychosomatic? a blinker light from Akagi asked of Kaga as both applied antiseptic and bandages to the many small wounds. They had photographed the wounds at Rachel's insistence, and they had scanned the photos to Tokyo University demanding analysis of what kind of creatures could cause those presumably bites. Neither had noted that the wounds were in armor steel that would resist cannon fire. Likewise a report went to Admiral Goto, and all the reports implied that lethargic resolution would have tempestuous ship-girls inpouring to provide encouragement, and promoted research from the History Department to inform what they'd bring with them as a matter of course.

We need to talk to Rubber, came Kaga's reply by light, This is beyond Sparkly Magical Ship-Girl Bullshit(tm).

She can stay awake as long as she likes, Akagi added. Kaga nodded her agreement.

Admirals Goto and Brixton were unused to developing a battleplan on a front that neither of them had experience. Brixton had flown in and the pair were discussing the problem in a secure facility. Both were well prepared to deal with the vagaries of ship-girl physics and `biology`, but not so in fighting a war where RPGs' monster catalogs as well as experts in folklore, etymology, and parapsychology, were the intelligence reports.

"Rats?" Brixton asked.

"That's what Tokyo University, U.S.C., and a few other colleges and experts said," Goto replied, "Small rats, but rats. No idea how the rats bit steel, if the wounds are psychosomatic, or if this is something that can be dealt with by any previous methods. Rachel is willing to help us, but I get the idea that Kaga and Akagi will lose their tempers about this before Rachel will."

"So you'll need Vestal for a while longer?" Brixton asked.

Goto nodded.

"Priests?" Brixton asked.

"Shinto, Buddhist, the Vatican sent an exorcist, we had the local Baptists do a prayer meeting in the room with Rachel asleep. They were attacked. According to Vestal, Rachel could stay awake for the rest of her life, but that leaves out the possibility that this could be weaponized against other ship-girls," Goto said.

Brixton nodded, both men knew that if they could direct it, then the Abyssals would have something to worry about. "Frankly I think my kids and their weird friends might be better advisors than the weenies we have. Funny how the weirdos have all the answers, until you ask them to put their money where their mouth is," Brixton said, "Hell, if Sutherland came up with a solution even Howe would welcome him back into the club."

"I heard the new Shin Godzilla movie is going to address some of those points after Kobe and the Abyssal attack on Fukashima," Goto said, "I've let the destroyers brainstorm, and frankly if their search for Harry Potter works out, we may just let the Wizarding World live after not helping with the Abyssals."

Brixton snorted his laugh. "My son asked if a sniper could hit a target beyond a certain distance, evidently he was wondering if SEAL teams could take out Voldemort."

"So what do we do? Aside from let Rachel stay awake," Goto asked, "The experts are less than useful. The fringe aren't willing to say anything definitive. The destroyers' wild ideas are more useful."

"The Australians suggested a dreamquest," Brixton said, "Have you investigated that?"

"Rubber and her best are trying that tonight," Goto said, "Although what hallucinogens affect a ship, and how do you imbibe it? Slip Jimson weed seeds into their boilers?"

"At what dosages?" Brixton agreed, "Some pseudointellectuals at the tech firms in Seattle micro-dose DMT, what's the micro-dose for fifty-thousand tons of warship, a swimming pool?"

Goto rubbed his brow. "This is one thing I wish I could understand better or be part of," he said, "I'm 'too grounded', per Rubber."

"What are the chances this is another curse by the deep Abyssals like Rubber's abilities?" Brixton asked.

"What would she have done to deserve their attention?" Goto asked.

Brixton had no answer.

"It isn't sleep," Vestal soothed Rachel, "It's self-hypnosis. It is a resting state, but not sleep. The weevils won't get you because you'll be awake the whole time."

Akashi wanted to ask how the rats got past Rachel's crew, presumably even if they weren't physical and visible to Akagi and Kaga, they were visible to Rachel's crew. She knew Vestal often had to resort to other methods of sedating the ships she did much more extensive work on. She'd watched her do this with Howe and Tatas, but she hadn't mastered the techniques herself, let alone been able to teach them. Despite Vestal's best efforts to teach her.

"Breathe in, hold, breathe out, feel yourself sinking, slowly sinking into a soft cloud," Vestal said.

Akashi noted the effect it was having on Akagi and Kaga who held the girl's hands. Then they jerked awake as Rachel tightened her grip.

"Slowly - " Vestal said.

"No deeper, we've stopped," Rachel said quietly. If Akagi and Kaga weren't at action stations before, they were now.

Vestal didn't pause. "You're relaxed, you're safe, what do you see? You're relaxed. You're safe."

"The sun far above, fish floating by," Rachel said, "Few colors, only little lights."

Akashi glanced to the carriers, and their marines scattered around the workshop.

"Are the weevils here?" Vestal asked.

"They can't swim," Rachel said, giggled once, "They can't swim. They can't get me. They can't . . . " The former Abyssal's voice drifted out. The four ships exchanged glances but didn't move or make a noise. They were content to wait.

Are Abyssals Investment Bankers?
Vestal accepted the drink from the admirals. "Good news is it's psychosomatic," she said, "Bad news is it's psychosomatic. She not only can tear herself up that way, she thinks she deserves it. So she can sleep in water, but not on land. I am not qualified to delve into whatever psychosis generated this condition. I fix bent steel. Bent minds are out of my wheelhouse." She sipped the drink and settled into the overstuffed chair. She was clearly exhausted, but there was more to do.

Goto nodded. "Akagi and Kaga are probably going to have to do that," he said, "Kaga especially."

Brixton nodded, knowing Kaga's history. "So she can work, very well in fact, and how large a body of water does she need to sleep in?"

"The self-hypnosis technique means she could sleep in bed. As long as she thinks she's sunk in water, she's safe," Vestal said, "It's all in her mind."

"I wonder if we got ship-girls to break us out of our stereotypical thoughts?" Brixton asked.

Goto shrugged. "Don't you have a secretary ship?"

"I have a wife, you can imagine the fight that would result," Brixton said, "Even if she was, let us say, an open-minded sweetie, the fight wouldn't be worth it."

Goto nodded. "Too bad we can't lend you Howe."

"Then I'd be the jealous one," Brixton replied.

"Well, the mausoleum is the other thing I need to check. I know how people feel about disinterring the dead, but that's something we need to check up on," Vestal said.

Goto nodded. "I'll send the request up the chain. It's not in my purview anymore."

"An international coalition of advisory boards," Brixton said, "God help us if we need anything in a hurry. They'll take six months to decide on the shape of the table, then another three to order the office supplies."

"Maybe I should ask if they have any objections to my visit," Vestal said and she stood and returned the glass to the table, "I should get an itemized list sometime next year."

"Who is garrisoning the island?" Goto asked, "It isn't units from the JSDF, we were told it was a SEATO force."

"Not the USN, or the Marines," Brixton said as realization dawned.

"I'll send that request for objections right now, while you two work out a task force," Vestal said and left the two anxious admirals.

"Can't you make the lobsters sing in tune?" Iowa asked as Howe and Houshou guided her back to her dorm. Unryu was having another conversation with an invisible friend, but would catch up shortly.

Howe had seen things, but had shaken it off. Houshou admitted to having a conversation with Winston Churchill, then would blush. Considering Winston had a meeting or two when he was in the bath, Howe could imagine.

"They aren't fish," Howe explained, and hoped the Duckies got the sergeant back safely. Nagato and Mutsu had to carry Rubber out of the room.

Iowa started laughing. "Tune-a fish!" she shouted then slumped, again.

Howe and Houshou waited for her to wake up, it would only take a few minutes.

"Not our finest hour," Howe said, Houshou, Unryu and Unryu's invisible friend agreed.

Rachel was screaming again, but this time there was a good reason. The amount of shellfire coming in on her was enormous. She dodged and wove as the destroyers had taught her, and it threw off most of the incoming fire. Initially, it was an act to draw fire from her two charges. Then the sheer amount of it made the terrified screaming real.

Admiral Brixton had brought several, fast battleships and a couple of carriers as witnesses and advisors. They were currently fully engaged. Farther south, Howe, the Kongos, and Carrier Division Five were similarly heavily engaged.

"Where are they all coming from?" Rachel asked her paramours, "It's not like this place is strategic."

"I hope the little ones didn't grow up fast, or we're in a lot of trouble," Kaga replied as a coordinated strike went in against the cruiser force shelling Rachel. She and Akagi had positioned an anvil attack with their torpedo bombers to force the fleet to comb one or the other swarms of torpedoes, while the dive bombers also attacked the straight sailing ships.

While that was happening, Tone and Houshou were trying to get a force of scouts to overfly the island. Until they had secured the seas and the island, neither Vestal nor Brixton were landing there.

A dozen cruisers were hit by a bomb or torpedo, halving the force. Elsewhere the others were reporting successes, but the sheer size of the fleets was going to win the day. Akagi and Kaga's airgroups had been savaged, the next strike would be much weaker.

"Rachel, is your airgroup ready?" Akagi asked.

"They've been practicing with gliders and the planes are struck below, it'll be hours before I can launch," Rachel said as she led the remaining force away from the carriers.

Akagi frowned. "At least that explains all the paper airplanes," she commented and wondered where Soryu and Hiryu were, let alone the wartime construction carriers.

She began recovering her depleted airgroups as did Kaga. They began turning the planes around for another strike.

Taiho glanced at Unryu as they and every other carrier launched their massive strike. Several Essexes were adding their airgroups. Only Hornet was holding off. Each of her B-25's were fitted with JATOs and loaded with a ParaMarine squad. The paratroop fairies would at least give them boots on the ground with radios at the island. What had been a mere jaunt was turning into a major battle.

"Reports from some scouts, the Abyssals aren't just shooting at us, they're shooting at each other," Bunker Hill reported.

"Different Princesses?" Soryu asked.

"Ships under the same princess don't usually go rogue and shoot each other, especially not on this scale," Rubber reported as she and the Nagatos escorted the massed carriers.

"How many Princesses are we talking about?" Nagato asked, "And what do they know about that island that we don't."

"It's what we guessed at, that they may know for certain," Mutsu said, reminding everyone that 1200 reinforcements might await whoever could get them away. Everyone knew that if that were true, then casualties in taking them were meaningless.

"The admirals need to know," Nagato said and waved Fubuki over to deliver the message in person.

"The Great Marcus Island Turkey Shoot," Howe muttered as another Chi-class went up like a fireball, "Hiding in a rain squall might have worked a few weeks ago, but not now."

The rear turrets reported ready, and four shells went out. Straddle with the first salvo. The combination of radar and Royal Navy training was paying dividends. Front turrets up, and another cruiser screamed as she died.

"Leave some for the rest of us," Kongo complained.

"Of course, I should respect my elders," Howe said, and earned a massed raspberry from the other battlecruisers.

The truth was his 15"/42's were superb weapons, better than the Kongos' 14"/45's, and his radar was better than theirs.

"Any sign of capital ships?" Haruna asked Zuikaku.

"No battleships, no carriers, not even any battlecruisers," Zuikaku reported, "But they are good flak boats."

"Concentrate on picking off lone ships and scouting the flanks," Kongo ordered, "They wouldn't send just cruisers and destroyers. Where are the subs? That's my question."

"Our subs haven't scented a single enemy sub," Dorcas replied. She'd been coordinating the destroyers and cruisers against just such a threat.

"News from Green Group, the Abyssals are shooting at each other when they aren't shooting at us, and we're facing two groups, not one," Shoukaku reported.

Howe and Kongo looked at each other and said, "Seawater."

Nagato walked the sand of Marcus Island. "Now I know how Lee felt at Gettysburg," she said to Alabama, one of the few undamaged or lightly damaged battlewagons left in the Western Pacific.

"Except Lee lost," Alabama replied, "Eighty percent casualties, thanks to you and Mutsu, no deaths."

"Thanks to our Abyssals," Nagato said, "Rubber and Tatas raced out to rescue the sinkers and keep them salvageable. Dorcas and Rachel joined in later."

"Still, Rubber had to have told you something about her plan. And Tatas came all the way from Houshou's inn," Alabama insisted, "Take credit, you won, you kept on the pressure, not Goto or Brixton. They may have supported your decisions, but they weren't here."

Nagato blushed at the praise, but she missed her two firmest supporters. Both were on their way to the baths, along with the bulk of the battleline. The carriers were here but as oversized aviation cruisers. All together they could barely maintain a scouting force.

"Okay, dead Wa, but why was it pouring salt water on the sand pile?" Alabama asked.

Both she and Nagato were taking pictures. The empty hole next to the sand pile remained their real concern.

"You don't think they broke in here to get . . . ?" Alabama couldn't finish, gesturing at the slabs of rock and piles of fill that had been thrown aside to empty the mausoleum. "Could they really return?"

"If they can, then all the casualties the Abyss suffered today could be made up fivefold," Nagato said as she sent the photos to Goto and his analysis team, "And someone got most of them. They were still fighting each other, I doubt they were slipping small teams ashore to grab an armful and run back to their base. They all wanted the whole grave, even the adults who suicided."

"So, when do we expect the onslaught?" Alabama asked.

"Soon, or in ten years," Nagato replied as she began getting the reports of the other search parties. "We'll police up the bodies ashore, put them in here and refill it. If Abyssals have to die at sea to respawn, then we shall deny them even that."

Alabama nodded and headed out to help the collection.

This is almost embarrassing, I think as I hold three beautiful women, all sobbing their hearts out not at their injuries, but mine, both that I was hurt and that they nearly lost me. But I can get used to it, I add as I give the cluster a squeeze and try to relax.

I hadn't been pleased with Nagato's fallback order until she gave us the carrot that we were guarding the many wounded and rescuing a few of them. Got to work on the bloodlust, I think, So close to the island, and dragged away to do my duty. Keep what a true victory is in mind, I remind myself, Win the day, but coming home is more important than who plants the flag. And bringing everyone home beats most other considerations.

The repair baths both here and at the other bases are doing a land office business, I think as I glance around, Bathers are in clusters so many wounded are occupying them. And when the rest of the carriers return, the replacement of air groups will have them occupied for more time.

I hope they can't raise the little ones, I think as I fade off to sleep, This battle was bad enough.

Goto and Brixton were sharing a well-deserved libation. The flight of many of their units to Puget Sound, San Diego and Perth was underway, Japan simply did not have the resources to repair as many ships as were wounded in the battle.

"Three to one casualties isn't bad," Brixton said, "Three to one where your worst are touch and go cases, that's saying something."

"It's saying that we're garrisoning some place like that ourselves until formally relieved," Goto said, "Someone still got away with the prize, and if they were sunk just offshore, then they may be back."

"If it works like that," Brixton said, "They may not rise as adult ships, they may be infants and they'll die again from neglect."

"Suppose that was the plan all along?" Goto said and ignored Brixton's horrified expression, "Dying a half-dozen to a few dozen times while you grow up. Imagine what a neurotic mess you'd have at the end."

"Not a good soldier, even with the threat of the lash," Brixton said and emptied his glass Russian-style.

"But cannon fodder?" Goto asked, "They're already used to it. It would be normal."

Brixton refilled and raised his glass. "Until they ran into Howe, Rubber and that lot. Rumors move faster than facts, and the idea they could go raise turnips in Utah, that might create a lot of defectors."

" 'Turnips'?" Goto asked.

"The Puget Sound force. Don't ask me, I didn't plant them," Brixton said, "Bumper crop though. Glad I don't have to eat them either."

"This movie is based on a ride?" I whisper to Dorcas who'd set up the projector, screen and got the list of movies, and whose they were to return later. It made the long wait as repair counters ticked down bearable.

"Don't get any ideas," Kongo says from the next bath over.

I don't tell her that I rather identify with the Commodore, and hope the lad at least gets a happy ending. Although the sword is quite nice as well, wonder if it's got a story arc, I think and keep my chuckling to a minimum.

The destroyers ironically took the fewest casualties and the subs took none, and so they are having to work together to shoulder a huge amount of the patrols. The cooperation is grudging, and there are a half-dozen weary destroyers or subs in every bath, day and night.

I share the photo my crew took of Sendai's face when she'd shown up and announced unscheduled, night training. I doubt Fuso and Yamashiro faced a potential fusillade of such weight and potency, none of the battlewagons wanted the hard-working little ones' cuddling disturbed. They needed the reassurance as much as the destroyers did.

The photo's responses are chuckles across the repair bay. All in all, a good week's work.

The destroyers were tired. Curtatone among them, so when she spotted an Abyssal carrying, not flying, a large, white flag, she'd initially put it down to fatigue. Her subconscious both wanting something exciting to happen, and knowing she was the least able to handle something happening. She sent the contact report and closed in. Her crew registered the three nearest groups signaling they were headed in to support. Including one of Unryu's air groups.

"I approach under flag of truce," the Abyssal, a destroyer demon, shouted and transmitted over voice radio, "I come seeking Admiral-class battlecruiser HMS Howe, and whichever admiral deems himself his commander."

Curtatone relayed the communication, pulled out her phone with the satellite attachment and called the Admiral's office. "Uh, we have an Abyssal who wants to talk to Mister Howe and the Admiral." She remembered to use no names the Abyssal hadn't already used.

"Uh, Miss, uhm, I have the Admiral on the line," Curtatone called, "Mister Howe is indisposed, but will join the Admiral shortly." She held up the phone so the girl could see it, and kept her guns and torpedoes aimed away from the Abyssal.

Not that it would matter anyway, Curtatone thought, I couldn't hurt her badly anyway.

"Then I will remain on course and communicate with him, while communication continues we are under a state of truce," the Abyssal said, her precise if disinterested tone rankled Curtatone, but also because the torpedo boat almost recognized the demon, but the steam didn't spin up the turbine just yet.

But, she won't look at me, Curtatone thought, So she does recognize me. Who is she?

She got a lot closer to a 'wild' Abyssal than she wanted, but the Abyssal seemed as disconcerted as Curtatone was.

"I am Admiral Goto, HMS Howe's commanding officer, to whom am I speaking?" Admiral Goto asked over the phone.

"I am the Emissary of The Northern Princess. She wishes to offer thanks for the respectful interment of the little ones, but fears that their rest could be disturbed after you left them there in peace, so she relocated them, and she believes that a human or ship-girl witness should be present to verify to the humans that they have been reinterred rather than any other fate."

It seems like a speech she disagrees with, Curtatone thought, But she's following orders.

"How would we ensure safe passage towards and away?" Goto asked.

"I will escort you to and then back across our borders," the Emissary said.

I can almost hear her hoping Goto refuses, Curtatone thought and reminded herself not to speak such things aloud.

"I will consult with HMS Howe and Curtatone will escort you to a safe place to await our reply."

"Away from humans," the Emissary said.

Not a plea, Curtatone thought, A warning.

"It will be arranged," Goto said and cut the connection.

"This way," Curtatone offered and the Emissary grimaced and fell in behind. "Are you allowed to say if you got all twelve-hundred?" Curtatone asked.

"One-thousand, seven-hundred, that Princess had underwater caches as well," the Emissary said, "They died as well, and the sea did not return them. It was a fool's errand."

Is 'errand' a colloquialism, Curtatone wondered, Or did someone actually task her with the job? And will they ever tell us?

The trip to Yokosuka proceeded with little beyond Curtatone's occasional questions, and the Abyssal's, 'You may ask the Princess' as replies. Curtatone decided the questions were futile.

She was glad to see Howe, Dorcas, Tatas and Rachel waiting for them. She wondered about Rubber, but suspected that Abyssal could be right behind them and no one would know.

Goto was looking at the two plans he had. Traveling aboard Kongo's manifested hull was out on two grounds, first it was a very intimate act that would set every tongue on the base and in the planet's ship-girl/ship-girl expert community wagging. And second, Kongo couldn't manifest her hull, but Kirishima could, and that was a war he wanted to avoid. That I-301 offered and could manifest, was right out for a host of similar reasons. Goto didn't want to even think of riding inside Howe if he spontaneously could manifest his hull. Neither would ever live it down. Rubber and Tatas both could and those two knew not to even propose it.

The two remaining was first, take the largest and most capable war vessel available, likely one of the 'helicopter' carriers, second take the smallest vessel that could make the trip and return.

The interruption of Howe arriving let him set aside the question for a while. Howe saluted and began, "You, me, a small, support vessel, and no escorts ashore or at sea, although we can bring as many ships and ship-girls that remain outside the agreed upon border as we wish."

He returned Howe's salute. "How are you feeling, and what force should we bring?"

"Acceptable," Howe said, clearly not feeling 100%, "And everyone, we'll carry a few transmitting cameras so they can watch the proceedings. Officially, so the little ones can find their peace and rest. Evidently, even those who perished in the shallows didn't respawn, so there's more to it than we thought, or they'd have to grow up more to get the rebirthing spirit installed."

"I wonder if they could force out a child's spirit and take them over with the same process," Goto wondered aloud.

"The Emissary either really doesn't know, or knows not to say," Howe said, "If they could, and this was part of the plan, we really dodged a bullet."

Hoppo's Secrets Guard Themselves
On his way to discuss terms with the Emissary, Goto passed a smirking destroyer. He called her to halt, put on his sternest, neutral expression, saying 'you aren't in trouble, but I will get to the bottom of this'. "Good morning Akatsuki, what are you doing?"

Her expected 'nothing' died as she looked at him. "Ah, we put the The Wellerman playlist on continuous repeat just outside the Abyssal's cell, since she won't talk to anybody, we thought she might get bored."

The sound of the Abyssal singing along crushed Akatsuki's expression more thoroughly than anything the Admiral could think of. The girl slowly turned and stared in the direction she'd come.

"Good thinking, but generate a few more sea shanty playlists, she may be here a while," Goto said, he gave her a headpat and left the vaguely horrified destroyer with an appropriate punishment.

Her singing isn't that bad. Maybe a few sea shanty CDs should be our tribute, Goto thought, I can imagine the Abyssal Princesses sending `emissaries` to Eurovision.

With a new spring in his step Goto headed towards the Emissary's cell.

We certainly aren't sneaking up on anyone, I think as The Emissary keeps belting out sea shanties ahead of me and the Admiral's ship. Kongo and Hiei are escorting, with several smaller, farther ranging task groups checking the areas around the force.

She hadn't answered any questions from the intelligence types and would only answer Goto's or my questions about the mission. She'd said the ceremony would take place in eight days, and we had that long to arrive, and then the ceremony would occur if we were there or not.

Fortunately, no convoy was going either way at the time we'd pass into contested waters. So that complication was eliminated.

Our guide suddenly turned hard, and threw up a rooster tail before approaching. "This is as far as your escorts go," she tells me. I nod as I radio Goto's ship. It's technically a corvette, but at 2,500 tons it's as large as some of the prewar destroyers. It plows on, leaving a very worried Kongo and Hiei behind.

Beyond the horizon, the other two Kongos, Soryu, Hiryu, Zuikaku and Shoukaku are steaming this way, as well as a USMC helicopter carrier of undisclosed name, with an undisclosed escort. If we don't know, we can't tell anyone.

The rest of the trip continues in silence, save for the sound of us slicing through the water. Dutch Harbor was a backwater to the war, the US older, heavy cruisers fought here, and the first intact Zero captured was here. It's cold, gray and there are fishing boats we're guided away from. So we don't know if they are human-crewed or what the humans' condition is.

There are so many questions in mind, but The Emissary answered none of them. As I watch her change from a tall, slim woman to a childlike form, I understand why.

The Emissary was Hoppo herself. She undertook the mission for reasons of her own, but seeing things with her own eyes was likely a good one. That no one even suspected also speaks to a danger of the Abyssals. Can they take truly human forms, or just appear as ship-girls? Just the Princesses, or is this Hoppo exclusive?

"You tricked us," I say.

"If you cannot be your own emissary, then you are a coward or don't know your own mind," Hoppo replies.

True, but not exactly reassuring, I think but keep further protest from my mind. I am worried that if she's that clever than she knows the questions we asked her emissary were what we really wanted to know. Valuable intelligence.

Then she begins to sing. Her voice is childlike but as beautiful as The Emissary's was.

I am also glad the cameras we're carrying go only one way, as the cacophony from the other ship-girls is practically discernable from where I'm standing.

She proceeds to the dock where Admiral Goto's transport is arriving. It's a town, not fancy, but serviceable. There are humans and Abyssals working together to collect the lines, and though the humans are acting like the tutors of royalty, the Abyssals aren't striking out at them as I've heard from other sources. Hell's Bells, Dorcas isn't that comfortable around humans and she's on our side.

The honor guard Hoppo joins would be insultingly small, save for the fact that Hoppo herself is leading it. An honor guard of royalty raises the value and Goto isn't the pecksniff to be offended if it had been a lone girl scout carrying a box of cookies.

He salutes. It is returned. "Permission to come ashore?" he asks more for custom, we were invited.

"Permission granted," Hoppo says, "For you and HMS Howe only. The ceremony will be an hour after sundown, until then travel where you wish, my secrets guard themselves."

Without a notable signal the guard disperses. Goto and I are left with eleven hours to discover what exactly is going on here. Everything will be recorded, and everything we do or fail to do will be endlessly interpreted and reinterpreted by people who aren't here, have the benefit of hindsight, and in many cases are depending on `conclusions` drawn by people who haven't walked the ground and in some cases haven't left their social media feeds to touch grass.

The town and its mixed population are our first target, talk to the humans, talk to the Abyssals and discover how they interact. What they are willing to say about their current government, and what they will absolutely shy away from.

What we learn is the transition from US to Hoppo administration was nearly seamless. The Abyssals arrived, informed everyone that they were now in charge, long range radios were confiscated, had their transmission capabilities destroyed and were returned as receivers only, they ignored the occasional rifle or pistol shot from the locals. The special forces company that dropped in with antitank weapons were all captured, stripped of their weapons and ransomed back to the US for a large cache of fishing boat repair material.

The second, platoon-sized team who carried charges to assassinate Hoppo were caught and their bodies to this day are still hanging from the crosses they were crucified on. As they were athletic and healthy, they took a long time to die. The birds have stripped them to the bone mostly. Message sent, some resistance would be tolerated, beyond that point and the punishments were utterly ruthless. The populace, humans and Abyssals both, got the message loud and clear, and local legend was that Hoppo built and `invested` the first cross herself.

There was no ransom of these men, or their effects. No one knows if they were interrogated or tortured but their good condition and long dying indicate they were not harmed until the day. The man-portable 'charges' concerns me. Were they nuclear? Did a half-dozen pony nukes give Hoppo autonomy, by giving other nations pause? Combined with her shapeshifting trick, the possibilities are staggering. How much of this was kept from Goto and the other admirals?

Worse, this was hardly a secret among the islanders. Neither the humans nor the Abyssals ever called them explosives. They always called them charges. So if Hoppo possibly having nukes isn't her secret, what is?

There was a brisk trade in Abyssals who couldn't live among humans for those who could and/or wanted to settle down. There was another bit of insistent terminology, 'settle down'. There were Abyssal farmers, plumbers, electricians and even a doctor. Going into a trade was settling down, not fighting or wanting to fight anymore? Goto and I didn't discuss it, but it would be fodder for talk on the sail home.

Among the populace there was a bit of disdain going both ways, but less hostility than I saw in the Puget Sound crowd for their own ship-girls. The service-job Abyssals and even the security forces I can understand, but are fisheries and telling stories what the humans provide? Is that valuable enough to let Abyssals and humans live side by side with little acrimony? Is it only possible in small town settings where any set of hands in a disaster is welcome?

All this is shocking, and has been open to us. So what are Hoppo's self-guarding secrets? That Godzilla is sleeping in a nearby iceberg, and Hoppo is secretly Mothra? That the Abyss is actually Rei Palpatine and Abyssals are all Sith? They know the secret recipe for crabby patties?

Then on entering Hoppo's throne room/chief administration building the bomb shell landed.

The Abyssal is swollen like a Wa class, but the hat marks her as a Wo, and the pale child suckling at her breast is Abyssal pale. The Abyssals are having sex, and they're breeding, I think as I look at Goto, any jokes about his and Kongo's relationship go out the window. My own relationship with Houshou, Dorcas and Tatas has new layers of questions thrown on it. There has never been a ship-girl pregnancy, despite several who allegedly will nail anything that shows interest and can't run away fast enough. Yet the implication is that this Wo has had at least one come to term, and another on the way. The father is not here in Hoppo's throne room, but that's not unexpected.

I find myself reviewing the Abyssals I've seen looking for baby bumps.

Goto offers the games and toys, and the collection of sea shanty CDs that was always intended as our gift. Hoppo's thanks are profuse, but while she keeps a couple of the toys, most of them are moved to a large toy box that is then carried out of the room.

Then Hoppo sets the screws to us. Several dozen, prepubescent children, mostly girls, but a few boys, troop out in similar robes and sing The Wellerman to us, then are led away by their choir master. All of them are Abyssal pale or with black hair. I have my crew going over recognition manuals to determine the likely classes of the children.

"I won't have them clipped like the Viennese," Hoppo says, her grin showing how much she's enjoying all of this, "I'm not a monster."

Goto and I walk along. We'd inspected the crypt, already lovingly filled. The ceremony would end with the place being sealed with proper cement. But our minds are on other things.

"So what do you think?" Goto asks.

"If my on board analysts are correct, we've seen 135 Abyssal children. That's quite a baby boom. So the first bullet point gives three possibilities: first, she's playing John B. Magruder and we're seeing the same 40 kids moved around and slipped into view."

"Fourteen or forty?" Goto asks as we walk the rocky trail along the shores of what was once Attu.

"Four tens, most were in that choir, but there were enough too small that I had to add to the tally. And I'm not counting the suckling babe. Second, we're seeing all they had. Third, she ordered that 'where convenient, hide the Abyssal kids from the outsiders'. So we could have seen them all and are made to think there's more, we could have seen them all, or there could be a lot more."

"Not a happy thought, we don't know how many there are," Goto says as he stops to look out to sea, knowing this conversation is also being monitored by our watchers over the horizon.

"The second bullet point is we have to talk to that first SpecOps group. Special Forces are young, virile men who are trained to do anything to win, and here most of their enemies were attractive females. Call it subversion, seduction or just being horny, something went on. Hoppo is supposedly the spirit of children lost at sea, so she'd be aware of the mechanics. The largest number of kids are likely from that time.

"The last point is the darkest and hits me directly: Are ship-girls sterile and Abyssals fertile? Is it the constant combat that sterilizes them? Human women under constant pressure will often have trouble keeping a pregnancy. It's fairly peaceful here, and those having kids have 'settled down'. It isn't about putting down arms and taking up a trade, it's about having human lovers. The amount of unprotected sex I've had with my ladies should have resulted in consequences, and you know there are ship-girls who've had plenty of relations, yet never a pregnancy."

"The villagers must have been laughing up their sleeves at us the whole time we were walking around asking questions. When we get back, you'll give a sample," Goto says.

"Did that months ago," I tell him, "I may have naval rifles, but there I'm shooting blanks. Combat stresses may have the same effect on me."

"Sorry," Goto offers, "I don't care if she is listening, I love Kongo, but with my responsibilities and rank, a courtly love is all I can offer."

"Could be worse, I don't know if I do or don't want kids, but definitely not in a war zone," I reply, "But after the war? If ships are fertile and interfertile with humans, we're nearly immortal if not killed. What happens to our kids? Like the Numenoreans, long-lived but mortal, also immortal, or live just a human span? What about summoning their rigging? And over our shoulder someone created almost two thousand lives, and what would they have grown into? How did they come about?"

"I'll bet you autos to navy beans Hoppo knows and just isn't telling us. That may be the secret that guards itself," Goto says, "She may not be an active combatant, but she knows what a tumult this will cause. More damage than a major assault, and she just has to sit back and keep silent."

"You think she planned all this?" I ask.

"I know she realized the implications and is just riding the wave while steering it ever so slightly," Goto says, "This is not the kind of thing that can be hidden, and it will completely change the complexion of the war. And we've got 20 minutes until the ceremony."

Reper-Concussions
A three-star admiral doesn't scream at people over the phone, even alone in a secure room. Someone who can erase entire cities doesn't have to raise his voice. But Brixton was tempted.

"When were you going to tell the Navy that you lost six, thermonuclear warheads to the Abyssals?" Brixton asked the committee at the other end of the phone.

"Probably never, recovery of such is not in the Navy's mandate," the chair replied, the scrambler making it difficult to tell if it was a man or a woman.

Brixton pulled the newspaper towards him. "Well, someone thought they should tell the New York Times," he said as he scanned the headlines, "And considering we didn't know they were H-bombs, the leak was on your end. Weren't you the ones who screamed to Congress about proliferation if we equipped our ship-girls with Katies, and instead you delivered several of our most advanced weapons directly to enemy soil? You do realize a missile could get there in eight minutes from a sub, and a guy with a radio could confirm the target?"

The long pause and the lack of background noise indicated they'd muted the phone so they could scream at each other without Brixton hearing the acrimony.

"At least SOCOM can say they did their duty," Brixton told them, whether they were listening or not, their masters were, "Proving make love and not war does work, and our brave soldiers will be ready to volunteer for that duty again. When they find that out, maybe some of the aging hippies on Capitol Hill will laugh hard enough to short out their pacemakers."

Brixton accepted the note from his aide and watched the officer head out of the secured room. A quick read and he was dreading another phone call. "Okay people, I'm going to have to break this off and talk to the diplomats, it seems that the Emperor and his court have invited me for 'tea and clarifications'. I'm not looking forward to the discussions with our Japanese allies, and the Russians are so mad they've stopped screaming. Understandable, because now they have three, unfriendly, thermonuclear powers on their doorstep with delivery systems that could get them to the Kremlin, and the last is a true stealth system."

He waited for a bit before he cut the connection. If the spooks wanted to eat their own while covering their asses, he just had to worry about protecting the military. The diplomats were more correctly spun up about the idea of making war on women and children, even if they were Abyssals. They lived in a world of nuance and optics, where reality was inferred not observed, and could be denied if the situation changed as developing the situation/understanding. You didn't expect the diplomats to speak plainly, that wasn't their job, but if they listened to their staffs, they were closer to the actual people than were the spooks with their incestuous love affair of SIGINT and satellite recon. So, if the diplomats were screaming this was an iceberg, you took evasive action. The spooks would report they predict a lot of crushed ice in the future.

His own staff had told him that some activists/pundits were even calling the Abyssals the next dominant species on Earth. His wife had provided him a synopsis of a potpourri of people on social media who were utterly freaking out about Abyssals being an endangered species to people demanding the total extermination of all ship-girls as a threat to the supremacy of the human race. Most were wack-a-loons, but these were the worst shoals.

The ship-girls were on edge. They knew that all this was classified, so they couldn't discuss it, even among themselves, but he'd seen more fairies running or being passed around than ever before and he knew a messenger when he saw one.

"I prefer the ones who just sail up and shoot you in the face," Brixton muttered as he called the cultural attache at the US Embassy to figure out what he was supposed to do about 'tea and clarification', and why wasn't the ambassador handling that?

I arrive in the corvette's wardroom. We're past the border, so Goto is wearing a subdued Kongo like a coat. He pours a glass full of something clear, slides it towards me and recorks the bottle. "The whole planet is going nuts," Goto says, glances at his empty glass, and puts the bottle back on the shelf.

"Yeah, I finally got to read my message feed, and it is . . . interesting."

"What are the chances it's all an illusion, like Rubber's ability?" Goto asks.

"Low, even assuming she can affect a larger area, our cameras picked it up. Abyssals are normally hidden from electronics," I tell him, "Making us hallucinate is one thing, light-based illusions that can be caught on film or by a chip, that's something else. And frankly, that's not better in the long run."

He sighs. "I guess I'm grasping at straws," Goto says, "The government of course has questions about ship-girls with nuclear shells, or those damned charges in their ballast. The activists are screaming about the implications of the Abyssals being a related species. Biodiversity. If those kids can reproduce, and aren't sterile hybrids, the UN may actually put them on the Endangered Species List."

"We could still kill them, it's just more paperwork," I tell him, "Aren't invasive species supposed to be a no-no? That is what they are."

Goto lets out a half-hearted laugh. "Other scientists are trying to determine if Abyssals have always been with us, just unseen until they had the numbers. All the legends of mermaids and sirens. Rubber's stories about the Depp Abyssals."

"That's why he makes such a good pirate," I say, but realize I'm quipping to myself, Goto is out cold and Kongo is in a happy torpor hugging him. I finish the drink and go up on deck. Geopolitics aside, a soldier can go from shelling the Hell out of a position to rendering aid to it the next day once victory is won. I'm worried about the more personal aspects of this. Houshou and I carried on like we did based on the assumption that no issue would result. With Dorcas in battle that might be true, but Tatas wants to 'settle down', she might even want kids. What does that mean? I can't give them to her right now. After the war?

I don't know. I don't know any of it, and there's no blinding light to tell me the answers. Hoppo played the game to perfection. She's shown why she's left alone. She had a huge bargaining chip, assuming someone doesn't just nuke the entire island chain. Officially, the US won't with its own citizens there and close proximity to Russia, is that why the nukes were hand carried rather than sub launched? The Russians or Chinese just might shoot, as it isn't US territory anymore. What would Hoppo's response be, assuming she returns after the attack? Can she make more of those nukes, heck a nuke of any size? I have spaces aboard me that would house a basketball court. An atomic or hydrogen bomb, even the early ones, no problem.

The sea and the stars give no answers, the lightening of the horizon promises a new day, and likely, new questions, but new answers are not guaranteed. Sleep beckons and there's a hammock somewhere I can use. Perhaps in dreams.

The Yokosuka ship-girl dock is more somber than even after heavy casualties. Those who hadn't participated had still heard, and the rumor mill had run wild as someone had leaked a huge amount of the details to the press, who'd warped it out of proportion and thrown it out to the masses as Truth.

Was it Hearst who said, You give me pictures I'll give you the war? Being gathered up by Houshou, Dorcas and Tatas was welcome. Kongo had remained with the admiral and he would be reporting directly to the Diet soon. It feels as if the carnival has left town and the barren field that was briefly a place of light and wonder is back to weather-beaten mundanity.

There is no party planned, no frantic coupling, established groups are coalescing for warmth and healing of a wound we didn't understand or know we had. If we had an enemy to fight, it would be different.

"I feel like one of the characters from Lovecraft, seeing a truth that is too staggering to absorb," I say to my three ladies and the disconsolate swarm of destroyers who are following us. Not an escort, they lack the determination and drive for that, they are there and none of us have the heart or the energy to drive them off.

I glance back at them. "At least we'll have a lot of babysitters," I say.

A smile or two in reply, but I'm wondering if it is the same thing getting us all down, or if Hoppo's revelation hit us in different, vulnerable places. Hurt us in different ways, and she's too smart to wipe away this erosion of morale and moral certitude with a distraction of mortal danger. We'll have to look within ourselves . . . and she knew all along, because the first pregnant Abyssal likely forced her and her troops to go through exactly what's hitting us.

"That's her secret!" I shout, shocking everyone around us, "Her people already went through it and survived."

"It?" Houshou raises her head from my side and looks around.

"All of this, the doubts, the malaise, all of it," I say, "This wasn't an attack. This was a reward and a warning."

"I don't feel rewarded," Johnston comments.

"Presidential Unit Citation, Medal of Honor," I say, "They cost dear, but she knew we'd learn this, learn it all, but imagine what it would be like to learn it after we'd slaughtered all the Abyssals? Or imagine it after the war when the first ship-girl live birth occurs. They'd hound the poor family to death."

"She wants the questions asked now," Dorcas says, "And let the hysteria all blow over before we reach that decision gate."

"And gave us a swift kick in the ass as well," Hoel adds.

"I never said she was on our side," I tell them.

The mood is less dark, but still thoughtful.

"So when we grow up," Curtatone says, "We can all be in your harem, right?"

I'm not sure who's laughing harder, Houshou or some of the destroyers.

Goto wasn't sure just why all four Kongos had accompanied him to the Diet. Their presence wouldn't make his job easier, and would ignite a certain undercurrent of those who accused admirals who commanded ship-girls of assembling a harem. Under their breath of course, a whisper network of people too unpleasant to attract the eye of those they wanted, so punishment of all was the order of their day. Even a few female admirals weren't immune.

Right now, they were acting more as servants and bodyguards than he'd ever seen. Normally they teased and disconcerted him as if it were their sole purpose in life. Now, they were completely different.

I guess I've never seen them in combat, he realized, Play fights with other, trusted ship-girls, arguments and prank wars, but this . . .

He froze as Haruna grabbed a Diet functionary who'd been approaching swiftly. She had the man off the ground held by the throat, and she pulled the man's hand and the knife he carried into Goto's line of sight.

"If we've gone back to the old ways," Haruna hissed, "We learned those rules long ago, and we're better at them than your masters." 'Battleship Daijobu' threw the man the 6 meters to the approaching security force. None of her sisters watched, they were scanning the crowds around them. "Tell Dietman Katagiri I'll be his kaishakunin, if he has the honor to do the right thing." Her hand rested on the sheathed katana Goto was sure she hadn't been wearing in the car during the ride over.

"Traitor!" the functionary shouted as the security troops led him away.

Goto felt almost nothing, he was numb that such a thing happened. He was aware, all officers were, of the government by assassination that had occurred before and during the war.

I never expected to see it return, he thought, So they are bodyguards. Who does Brixton have?

He hated being able to instantly think like that, but he knew Iowa was on base, and he texted her her new assignment before he steadied himself and entered the Diet proper.

The room was secure, no phones, cameras or recorders were in the room. A few of their staffs and senior ship-girls sat away from the table which had maps, analysis and photos Goto and Howe had collected. Brixton and Goto both looked like they'd each been in a fist fight. While Goto had been trying to answer the Diet's questions, Brixton had been politely fielding questions from the Emperor of Japan. Neither had done well and both knew it.

"So what do we actually know?" Goto said, sighed and rubbed his eyes.

"That while the Northern Princess appears to be a strong Princess, she has reserves that would overwhelm any reasonable force we could send in," Brixton said as he picked up the report from Howe on Abyssals sighted, "People might not be willing to fight somewhere else, but more will defend their home."

"We also know she has been crossbreeding humans and Abyssals. Even if she didn't pioneer it, she's encouraged it," Goto said, "But we don't really know the numbers or the powers of these offspring. We do know they grow up faster than human children. The choir was eight to eleven-year-olds, the Abyssals haven't been fighting for eight years, let alone eleven."

"Akatsuki often talks about growing up into a battleship," Brixton said, "Her history is like Kaga's, right?"

Goto nodded as he grabbed several of the reports and paged through them.

"So do Abyssals age depending on class and experience?" Brixton asked, "Is that where she gets it? We get enough experience, you age into another class. Born as an Imp Swarm or Wa, work into DD, then sub or light cruiser, then heavy cruiser, then battleship or carrier."

"We'll have to ask Dorcas or Rubber," Goto said, "Abyssal life cycles weren't that high up on the list at the time. Have you read Howe's report?"

"Skimmed it, picking up more details now," Brixton said as he sat back and rubbed his eyes.

"He speculated that Hoppo released the information to get the hysteria out of the way before we came for her and a few of the more senior and rational princesses. It also gives Hoppo a chance to seize a lot of territory while we can't stop her. All the way down to New Guinea, as long as she doesn't take any large, surface, land masses, she can exploit the resources, and set up subsurface caches and resupply points. And we don't have the subs or deep submersibles to even think about policing that much territory. Maybe the old Soviet Oscar/Antey could dive that deep, but little else can."

"And we're the ones who slaughtered her competition. Any chance that she - no, she might have talked them into overstepping common sense, but she didn't warn us," Brixton said, "So while a huge swathe of the Pacific is missing any stakeholders, she walks in and takes it, puts the general public on edge and the politicians are absolutely hysterical. Power play, among Princesses, warm up for the end game, both, neither, something else? What's her game?"

"I liked this game a lot more when I had to just manage the resources for my fleet, summon more ship-girls and fight the enemy bosses," Goto said, and got a chuckle from Brixton.

"Yep, diplomacy and the psychology of the enemy sounds like a big step towards relationship RPGs," Brixton said, "Not a fan. Get enough of that at work."

The throat clear from Mutsu caught the admirals' attention. The nervous looks between Kongo and Mutsu heightened that. "Pardon me sirs, it started as a joke, but why hasn't Hoppo asked the Russians to send a team to verify the nukes," Mutsu began, "They seemed to enjoy the U.S. SOCOM team, so they'd enjoy the Spetsnaz, and she could make a big show of shutting down any production of nuclear weapons. Maybe even turning over most of them as a show of good faith. We all know Japan could be a nuclear power in a month, if we thought it necessary." She looked from Goto to Brixton.

"I'm surprised the Japanese haven't sent a team . . . " Brixton noted Goto's sudden mask of indifference closing over any expression. "Ah," he said.

"The Lysistrata Gambit in reverse," Brixton said, "Thank you Miss Mutsu, I think that's been covered. The real question remains, what are we supposed to do about it? And 'wait and see' just requires some dress up to sell to our paymasters."

Goto nodded and opened several files he already had notes on.

Houshou was nervous. There should have been a fight by now, she thought as she surveyed the pub's patrons, Someone should have slapped a waitress' butt. They just order a drink, some snacks, then more drinks, and finally leave. It's too quiet.

Tatas had caught the mood and hadn't pestered Houshou into the two of them singing karaoke. Houshou wasn't sure if their singing would have helped or worsened the situation.

Is the news really having this affect? she wondered, No one has asked me about it. They just quietly sit, drink, and a few leave before they are staggering. Have they decided, and they're just waiting? Are they resigned, but don't want to drink themselves to oblivion? Is it just too big to process and they're overwhelmed trying to work it out? Well, if that were the case, would they make lewd jokes about getting an Abyssal waifu? This eerie quiet doesn't make sense. Things weren't this morose even with the Emperor's broadcast that ended the last war.

She scanned the crowds, trying to make eye contact, to gauge the mood, but none of her regulars would look up from their food, or drinks, or just the table. They weren't looking at her, they weren't looking at each other. It was as if each was completely alone, and those around them they knew were illusions. That the world wasn't real, and there was nothing they could do about it.

She listened in silence as the soft sound of glasses returning to the table, the crunching of some of the snacks, and then the near cacophony of a chair sliding back and the patron bowing to her before leaving. No one approached 'Mother' Houshou for advice or just sympathy. They drank, they ate, they left. It was eerie.

The Abyssals React
Johnston felt silly making the report, but she had orders. "To command, no live Abyssal activity in the Marcus Island area," she radioed, "Someone has been tossing dead Abyssals up on the beach though. I think they learned the trick of not burying them at sea to prevent their reincarnation."

It was only a few bodies, most looked so peaceful they might have been asleep. Worse, they appeared to have walked up here on their own. She'd taken photos of the tracks that hadn't been washed away, so they could be analyzed.

I'm no expert, she thought, But it looks like they just walked up here, didn't turn or look back, and either fell down or laid down. Suicide, poisoned, fuel starvation, what killed them?

"Request permission to send fairy away parties to investigate cause of death, chances of salvage or recovery," she sent by radio, and spoke aloud, the sound of her own voice trying to keep the sinister feeling at bay.

You aren't supposed to have a horror film at high noon with friends close by, she thought.

"Respond please," she added.

"Go for away parties," she received from Sendai, "Be careful Johnston. We're half-an-hour away."

She nodded and assembled the team, she had her rigging out and guns were manned and ready. The team were armed with weapons and tools as they stepped up to the corpse, then disappeared inside.

She watched through their eyes as they moved through the corridors. Inside was as peaceful as outside. No lights other than what they'd brought, and no stray cats or rats to give overactive imaginations a jump scare to relieve the tension.

The place wasn't graffiti'd with runes of EVIL or curses in unknowable tongues. It wasn't as clean or well-maintained as a navy ship should be, looking more like some tramp freighters looked, needing a coat of paint and rust scraped, but otherwise normal. There were few spiders of any size and webs didn't cover over entire corridors or conceal doors. The only noises were the sounds of the metal heating in the tropical sun, even the engines and blowers were silent.

The bridge was ill-maintained but normal, no dead, eldritch corruptions of normal instruments, the wheel and compass binnacle weren't designed for nonhuman shapes or stenciled with secrets man was not meant to know. Things were dirty but looked functional.

The group trooped to the engine rooms to discover the boilers were not demons chained to the turbines turning them endlessly in abject slavery and hurling promises of death and worse when they broke the spells that fettered them. They were metal tubes not unlike what some served aboard Johnston. Fuel was present, although even Johnston knew not to taste it, but a sample was obtained for testing.

After four hours, Johnston's team returned and Sendai rolled the dead Abyssal over so she was facing up. She didn't leap up at them with a snarl, although Johnston, Hibiki, Fubuki and Tennryu were all prepared to shoot her if she did.

"No damage, she could sail right now," Johnston said, "A full structural and control damage check would be needed, as well as water tight integrity of the hull."

"Who'd want to serve aboard an Abyssal zombie?" Fubuki asked.

"Her crew abandoned her?" Tennryu asked, "That's why she's dead? Then where are they?"

"Maybe another boat picked them up?" Sendai said, "Put a prize crew aboard and sail her to beach her here, then take them away."

"So do we take her for scrapping, toss - er, place her in the mausoleum? What?" Johnston asked.

"I, don't know," Sendai admitted, "The other girls have checked out a couple of the other bodies. They're like this one, dirty, need paint and derusting, but look sea worthy." Sendai said, and tried to say what had been bothering Johnston since she found the first.

Why did they die? Johnston wondered, What killed them?

Goto looked at the report of one of his officers being successfully attacked. The culprit was an otherwise ordinary businessman who had no record of particularly strong ideologies of any kind.

Ordinary people becoming homicidal against those who work with ship-girls, and Abyssals committing suicide on beaches, he thought, and picked up the toxicology report, 'We find no contaminates in the Bunker fuel submitted', so the fuel wasn't poisoned, her crew sailed her onto dry land and abandoned ship. They aren't on the island so they didn't do a Fletcher Christian. The ships weren't resurrections of the ones who committed mass suicide. Do we risk putting a crew in them and seeing what happens?

"Rubber and Tatas are here to see you," Mutsu said, part of the rotating battleship cordon now around him constantly. Brixton had one, and his wife had two destroyers. Fortunately the families of those who worked with ship-girls hadn't come under attack.

Fortunate for the attackers, Goto thought, If they start, the ship-girls may stake them out on an island with a 'Free Lunch' sign for the Abyssals.

Goto noted that Rubber and Tatas were already there, no one had noticed them until Rubber had wanted to be noticed.

"You've heard?" Goto asked.

"A lot," Tatas said, "Nobody knows what's next. Nobody at Houshou' tavern at least."

"The people who've made the attacks aren't coordinated, Abyssal plants, and the only similarities are how mundane they are. No otakus or herbivore men, mostly from higher-end jobs, not wealthy but secure, no extremists. In fact the extremists and the crooks are keeping a low profile, as if they expect less mercy than they are normally shown. They don't specifically know their bought politicians and judges won't help them, but they think everyone is on edge and some regulars are getting squirrely," Rubber said.

I don't want to know how she learned all that, Goto thought, She could give me times and dates if I asked.

"What I need to ask is about providing a crew for the dead ships we've found. Fire them up and see if they are functional," Goto said.

"Before you do that," Tatas said, almost more serious than Rubber, "You'd need to better understand how ship-girl crews work. You don't, so you'd have no idea how a crew transfer between Abyssals would work."

Goto nodded to Ooyodo, he was sure there'd been some such research, but she'd find it.

Helena literally spun on her heel before faceplanting. "Ow," the cruiser commented as Mutsu winced.

Nagato was dealing with Yuudachi, who was holding on to a pillar for dear life.

"Are you all right?" Nagato asked the sobbing destroyer.

"Noooooooooo!" Yuudachi squealed.

"Can I help?" Nagato asked.

"Noooooooooo!" Yuudachi screeched.

"Ah, poi?" Mutsu offered as she walked over.

"WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" Yuudachi shouted.

The badly bruised Helena and the trepadacious Yuudachi were standing as far away from each other as was possible in Goto's office. Neither Nagato nor Mutsu looked happy.

"The crew transfer trials were not successful," Mutsu said, her usual teasing demeanor gone, she stood at rigid attention.

"With training we might accomplish something," Nagato said, prompting Yuudachi to run three steps and dive through the window. "But I wouldn't recommend it without dire need, for obvious reasons."

"Yes, thank you, Helena, dismissed," Goto said, and watched Helena sprint for the door, and barely got it open before she went through it. He signed. "Have you attempted such a transfer on ships that were similar? Ships that have a history of working together?" he asked.

"Yes, sir," Nagato said, "Kirishima and Hiei should be out of the baths by Thursday evening at the latest."

"Thank you," Goto said and watched the two ships march out of his office.

I hope they're still on speaking terms, he thought as he looked at the paperwork on his desk.

It was a dark and stormy night. Hardly novel in the North Atlantic. Hood had been called in to investigate something on the Orkney Islands. The destroyer group had spotted it, and The Admiralty had been very close-lipped about what it was, just 'high speed and be ready for anything.'

The destroyers flashed their recognition symbol, Hood returned hers and completed her approach. She headed in, quietly wishing that one of the KGVs was with her, or Renown or Repulse.

The destroyer didn't do the usual fangirling that Hood had been vaguely dreading. She wanted what was going on over with, and the destroyer seemed to silently, but fully agree. Hood glimpsed the girl's hat, but couldn't easily read the name. On spotting several other destroyers clustered around a small fire having a brew up, she realized why. The destroyer who'd met her was Danish, one who'd normally be part of the Icelandic convoys.

But Ardent, the leader of the British destroyers didn't speak either, she stood, saluted and motioned for Hood to follow.

This is beginning to feel like a set up for a blind date or a surprise party, but we're a little off the beaten track, Hood thought as she followed. There was no lightning flash, just her and Ardent's searchlights playing over the scene. The other destroyers had eschewed the fire and the tea, and followed them.

As she looked over the numerous Abyssals just lying there on the rocky ground, Hood had only one thought. "Get me a count and class breakdown," she said to keep from panicking at the possibility of a zombie plague or an ambush.

"Marcus Island, the Orkneys, Rhodes, Tierra del Fuego, and who knows where we haven't found yet," the presenter told the assembled admirals on the virtual meeting. The map marked with locations. The classified print out had ship types and break downs.

None of it made Goto feel any better about the situation.

"Our toxicology and structure and control damage checks indicate that they weren't poisoned. They simply walked onto Marcus, shut off the feeds to their boilers and the Imps abandoned ship," Goto said.

"More like the High Seas Fleet at Scapa than Taranto or Pearl Harbor," the First Sea Lord said, "We haven't been as squeamish as you, we dissected a few, nothing we could recognize as pathology, parasites or damage. Efforts to recrew and reactivate them have been dismal failures. Perhaps your Abyssals might have a clue on what we're missing."

"We talked with them, and the procedure you outlined should have worked if it was going to work," Goto replied, "While we've been wondering how to reactivate them, has anyone developed an insight as to why they died?"

"Short of locating their crews, or getting some Abyssal to talk to us," the Italian admiral said, "We are in the dark. They leave no suicide note, and if they simply wanted to die, they could come ashore and attack some heavy installation. Instead, this is as peaceful as it is disturbing."

"We've seen none of this in the Baltic, Black or Caspian Seas," the Russian admiral said.

"Nor the Caribbean or South Atlantic," Admiral Brixton added, "But we haven't checked every island. Even dead, they don't show up on satellite imagery."

"So we scrap them and use it for summoning?" the Italian admiral asked, "None are the kind who might become our girls. Just cruisers mainly, a few battleships, no demons or princesses."

"No destroyers, supply ships or carriers?" the Russian admiral asked.

Goto checked his notes as did the others whose ship-girls had found the necropolises. "None on Marcus Island even though a few were among the initial suicides," Goto said.

"That may be it," the Russian said, "The initial suicides were the catalyst, not the Northern Princess' revelation. They realized they had a way out, and they are taking it."

It's as likely a possibility as any other, Goto thought, I just wish we knew.

"Frankly I'm worried this may all be a trap," the First Sea Lord said, "Not a zombie uprising, but proof of mistreating the corpses."

"We don't know they are corpses," Brixton pointed out, "Mothballed ships are still a legitimate military target, soldiers on leave while still in a warzone are also legitimate targets."

"So we aren't treating those locations as hospitals," the Russian said, "Merely anchorages." He looked up at his fellow admirals. "How are your ship girls taking these revelations of abandoned dead?"

"The ghost stories would scare Baba Yaga," Goto said, and the other admirals nodded.

Are conditions so horrible for the Abyssals that they start committing suicide the very moment they figure out how to without reincarnating?

Are conditions so horrible for the Abyssals that they start committing suicide the very moment they figure out how to without reincarnating?
It seems like that doesn't it? Let's see:
  1. You get sent out to die by people who stay behind the lines.
    1. They keep all the goodies.
  2. Many of your collegues are complete nutballs.
  3. Until recently, even dying wouldn't get you out of it, and so your bosses would expend you the way a soldier expends bullets.
  4. Likely the low-levelers don't have anything personal against the ship-girls they are fighting.

Been reading this over the last couple of days. Really want to know where this is going. Well done for engaging me so thoroughly, author!

Interesting, I believe I've deciphered what is happening...

Are the Abyssals simply suiciding, or is there something else to it? We see internals of a ship, not too deformed; likely due to the crew's absence, but what of the crew, where are they?

A section further and we see strange reports of violence against people connected to Shipgirl related organizations by seemingly ordinary people. There's something going on.

Looking forward to more of this interesting story.

Back