Ah yes. All those times Piggot was secretly behind all the crime in Brockton Bay, how could I forget?

EDIT: And no, don't bring Cauldron into things. Not only did we never see them this early in canon, they weren't behind most of the crime in the Bay either. While the degree of their connection to Coil is debatable they had nothing to do with E88 and only the most accidental link to Lung, both of whom were far more active.
I seem to remember Noelle being partly their fault as well, even if it was mostly the Simurgh.
EDIT: And no, don't bring Cauldron into things. Not only did we never see them this early in canon, they weren't behind most of the crime in the Bay either.
Wasn't their power-malware-given agenda "help the decay of society along because that will totally result in the world being more ready for Scion than other options"? Or am I getting canon and fanon confused?
While the degree of their connection to Coil is debatable they had nothing to do with E88 and only the most accidental link to Lung, both of whom were far more active.
The placement of that formula screamed Plotdevice McBullshit Contessa involvement to me.

The Travellers? Their potions weren't the fault of Cauldron or Contessa. That one was pure Simurgh dimensional porting in stuff from multiple realities, including a Cauldron lab/office.
No, that one refers to Lung "just happening" to fall in a pile of drugs that includes a Cauldron formula.

No, that one refers to Lung "just happening" to fall in a pile of drugs that includes a Cauldron formula.
That's just speculation. There's nothing in the text that suggests that was anything other than an actual drug overdose, and quite a bit that contradicts the idea it was planned. The powers people get are a black box to Contessa, so the path wouldn't be applicable. Cauldron had no reason to think Lung would end up getting as potent a set of powers he did, and if they were looking for candidates to give awesome powers, they wouldn't pick someone from a random gang on the street.

That's just speculation. There's nothing in the text that suggests that was anything other than an actual drug overdose, and quite a bit that contradicts the idea it was planned. The powers people get are a black box to Contessa, so the path wouldn't be applicable. Cauldron had no reason to think Lung would end up getting as potent a set of powers he did, and if they were looking for candidates to give awesome powers, they wouldn't pick someone from a random gang on the street.
Wait, how is a plan having more holes than a wall in Brockton Bay contradictory to being a plot by a member of the "HARD MEN MAKING HARD DECISIONS" archetype? :p

But yes, apparently my memory of canon is screwed up. Sorry about that.

Wasn't their power-malware-given agenda "help the decay of society along because that will totally result in the world being more ready for Scion than other options"? Or am I getting canon and fanon confused?
Fanon. Actual plan was "we probably can't stop society decaying so the best thing we can do is try to steer it". Cauldron had gotten really disillusioned by the time of canon and weren't trying to make things better so much as keep them from being as bad as they could get. And Cauldron was doing lots of stuff like buying time to study how best to deal with problems by having the Numbers Man use his powers to help keep the economy afloat (another reason they're so busy). I think people get confused about Cauldron's stance on society party because of the "Have Jack Slash piss of Scion now because otherwise he snaps and kills everyone in fifteen years and we will be even less ready then" plan.
The placement of that formula screamed Plotdevice McBullshit Contessa involvement to me.
Formula? Lung triggered from watching his friends get put down, being manhandled, and drug overdose, probably cocaine. It was a white powder, which doesn't match the description of Cauldron formulas at all.

Still, Cauldron is "Sir Not Appearing in this Story" right now, so if you want to continue this we should do it elsewhere. My main point was that the authorities in the Bay have many (many) personality problems but aren't actually involved in it's criminal underworld as you claimed before Cauldron sidetracked everything.

Last edited:
Well, Piggot is friends with Coil, but that is kind of tenuous, yeah. Sorry about the derail, please don't eat my face.

Well that was a thing. It was a well written thing. I did find the imagery striking in a certain way. It might have been enjoyable from some points of view.

Now, now. Tell me how you really feel. :p

I'm finding her... pleasure from the presence of parahumans... perplexing and perturbing.

My goodness, yes. That's something I've been waiting to reveal for a loooooong while.

Looks like her power is really rewarding her hard for doing certain things, mmm.

Also yay alliteration

Now, now. Tell me how you really feel. :p

My goodness, yes. That's something I've been waiting to reveal for a loooooong while.

Looks like her power is really rewarding her hard for doing certain things, mmm.

Also yay alliteration
Now you see throughout that scene I was waiting for Taylor to decide something along the lines of "scum like him don't deserve to have something that beautiful" and try to remove the feelers quite messily (quite possibly destroying them in the process and making her even more miserable). Also this will get utterly hilarious when she finally gets a look at Sophia in the other place. Interestingly enough this quashes any speculation that some of the other asylum inmates may have triggered.

It really will be funny because now she'll paradoxically want to be closer to Sophia. (she'll never admit it) And guess what, she can even, by what we've seen from this chapter, completely ignore the world around her by looking into the Otherplace and watching the Shinny ThingsTm​.

Jokes aside, that was eerily drug-like (a good trip, or a bad trip? that's the question) and crashed half of my alarm buttons. The other half wasn't crashed because... Well, I need some alarm buttons intact for whatever comes next!

So now Taylor's on the look for parahumans. Hm. Lucky her she lives in one of the few cities with unmasked, shameless heroes! (assuming ES hasn't changed that) Or she could try and spy the PRT and Protectorate buildings. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Also, trance-Taylor is really funny. I suppose that means Taylor on drugs is funny.

Considering it didn't attempt to eat her at any point, nor was she convinced she was the duck-like bud of the wooden table, it was probably a good trip.
Given that she was then embraced [1] by an angel made of barbed wire, experienced sudden and pronounced disorientation, woke up somewhere else then had a sudden attack of extreme nausea immediately afterwards, I think we can safely say that it was a pretty bad trip.

Man. If Taylor ever tries to explain how she sees her powers, people are going to think she's just high as a fucking kite.

[1] Voluntarily!

Given that she was then embraced [1] by an angel made of barbed wire, experienced sudden and pronounced disorientation, woke up somewhere else then had a sudden attack of extreme nausea immediately afterwards, I think we can safely say that it was a pretty bad trip.

Man. If Taylor ever tries to explain how she sees her powers, people are going to think she's just high as a fucking kite.

[1] Voluntarily!
Have we entirely ruled out the possibility that she is "high as a fucking kite"? Just in general?

Just, like, Worm canon, but Regent spiked her drink with LSD at some point?

Considering the amount of control Taylor has shown in the "Other Place", the fact that she can perceive parahuman powers (if that's what it actually was) has interesting implications.

I am also slightly reminded of Saya no Uta, with how certain things have beauty in an otherwise disgusting and horrifying world.

Considering the amount of control Taylor has shown in the "Other Place", the fact that she can perceive parahuman powers (if that's what it actually was) has interesting implications.

I am also slightly reminded of Saya no Uta, with how certain things have beauty in an otherwise disgusting and horrifying world.

Oh god, I just mentally compared human flesh seen though gore vision in Saya no Uta and parahumans seen though Other Place vision in Imago...
Wonder what would have happened if Taylor couldn't actually turn her Other vision off and didn't realize what those "delicate fronds of light" really were...

Now you see throughout that scene I was waiting for Taylor to decide something along the lines of "scum like him don't deserve to have something that beautiful" and try to remove the feelers quite messily (quite possibly destroying them in the process and making her even more miserable).
Personally, I'm still expecting some impulses towards murder at some point. Maybe when she sees Sophia.

What form of Taylor doesn't have impulses towards murder when she sees Sophia? :p
Ah, but this time the murderous impulses aren't actually her, they're the[1] alien parasite grafted to her brain!

[1] Once again assuming that it is a shard giving her her powers and not something else[2].

[2] First time doing this footnote thing. It's kind of fun.

Ah, but this time the murderous impulses aren't actually her, they're the[1] alien parasite grafted to her brain!

[1] Once again assuming that it is a shard giving her her powers and not something else[2].

[2] First time doing this footnote thing. It's kind of fun.
And you're already on your way to Pratchett levels of footnote use. Or House of Leaves, but the point still stands. :p

Also this will get utterly hilarious when she finally gets a look at Sophia in the other place. Interestingly enough this quashes any speculation that some of the other asylum inmates may have triggered.

Does it?

It really will be funny because now she'll paradoxically want to be closer to Sophia. (she'll never admit it) And guess what, she can even, by what we've seen from this chapter, completely ignore the world around her by looking into the Otherplace and watching the Shinny ThingsTm​.

It's quite interesting the incentives this gives her, isn't it?

So now Taylor's on the look for parahumans. Hm. Lucky her she lives in one of the few cities with unmasked, shameless heroes! (assuming ES hasn't changed that) Or she could try and spy the PRT and Protectorate buildings. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

But what if she has to face a scary dog or a normal human being with a weapon? What will she do then?

Also, trance-Taylor is really funny. I suppose that means Taylor on drugs is funny.

Bitch be trippin' balls.

Rachel: "I am?"

Piggot: "So her power is to manufacture hallucinogens within her own bloodstream?"

Armsmaster: "... no, the toxicology reports came back clean."

Piggot: "Are you sure?"

Oh, indeed. It implies quite a few fun things.

Let's not even get started on things like fact that according to her, she thinks her body stops existing when she teleports.

It's quite interesting the incentives this gives her, isn't it?
Hmmm...

She feels very good when she sees powers in action so...
  • Incentive to look for more parahumans
  • Incentive to watch parahumans do things
  • Possible incentive to protect parahumans
  • Incentive to be near parahumans- so basically incentive to join a team then
  • Incentive to look at the other place more often and spend less time looking at what things actually look like
So the end result of that is: She probably joins a team to see more powers and parahumans more often, and she'll probably be basing her first impressions and opinions of people on what the other place tells her more often- which might lead to prejudice in favor of parahumans over normal people because parahumans are surrounded by beauty and make her feel good, while everything else is disgusting, discomfiting, or tells her otherwise bad some how.

Back