theBSDude said:
The Manton Effect is mostly a safety measure to keep the host from killing themselves; Taylor's power lacks a (directly) lethal application, so it doesn't need the kind of safety measures you'd see in, say, pyrokinesis. She probably is technically Manton-bound anyway, unable to affect parts of things or make her constructs inside a person.
Dude, it isn't like I'm saying that she is OP or anything like that. But she doesn't seem bound by manton effect that's all. Also, no manton effect may be a safety measure put down by the Shards, but that this reason applies or not to Taylor has no bearing in her being affected by it. Her power doesn't discriminate between living and inert materials? she bypasses manton effect. No big deal, there is plenty of more lethal precedents in canon.

theBSDude said:
She probably is technically Manton-bound anyway, unable to affect parts of things or make her constructs inside a person.
Opening portals inside of people's heads is a very traditional munchkining of her powerset. It's also not a terribly interesting one, so it wouldn't surprise me if she's blocked from doing it.

Ravraxas said:
Her power doesn't discriminate between living and inert materials? she bypasses manton effect.
The Manton Effect is any restriction on how someone's powers work that doesn't seem to make sense based on what the power's doing.

Living vs. inert is far from the only form it can take.

Candesce said:
The Manton Effect is any restriction on how someone's powers work that doesn't seem to make sense based on what the power's doing.

Living vs. inert is far from the only form it can take.
For example? I mean an example mentioned in canon. Because if it exist I completely missed it.

Ravraxas said:
Off the top of my head? The Siberian can't make Manton invulnerable, despite being able to do that to pretty much anything else.

That Grey Boy's power doesn't loop minds along with everything else can be taken as a particularly unpleasant example.

Also, teleporters can teleport either people or objects, but they can't telefrag you. Well, one of the Thanda could, but he was specifically noted as not having Manton restrictions.

Candesce said:
Off the top of my head? The Siberian can't make Manton invulnerable, despite being able to do that to pretty much anything else.
When is this even noted as a consequence of manton effect? because I clearly remember the manton effect being described as the inhabitability to affect the interior of living things.

Candesce said:
That Grey Boy's power doesn't loop minds along with everything else can be taken as a particularly unpleasant example.
It doesn't loop people's mind because it can't affect living matter. That's the manton effect right from a (fictional) textbook.

spacemonkey37 said:
Also, teleporters can teleport either people or objects, but they can't telefrag you. Well, one of the Thanda could, but he was specifically noted as not having Manton restrictions.
Occam's Razor. They change the world around the target not the target. That's why they don't get to vivisect people by teleporting their bodyparts.

... or, we could go with the fact that Taylor metaphysically tore all the Worms out of her body, and then signed her name in a Watchtower, which means her powers arn't Shard based.

Candesce said:
Well. This certainly tells me a lot about how seriously I should be taking your posts.
You are aware that Worm is a completely materialistic world right? The whole reason Panacea is capable of mind control is because she can physically change a person's brain. That Gray Boy can't loop a person's mind because his power doesn't reach inside their head is completely consistent with the series, both in it's stated mechanics and it's themes.

And I don't really care how seriously you take my posts but you really shouldn't be dismissing other people opinion's like that.

Ravraxas said:
You are aware that Worm is a completely materialistic world right? The whole reason Panacea is capable of mind control is because she can physically change a person's brain. That Gray Boy can't loop a person's mind because his power doesn't reach inside their head is completely consistent with the series, both in it's stated mechanics and it's themes.

And I don't really care how seriously you take my posts but you really shouldn't be dismissing other people opinion's like that.
I think he's more pointing out that you don't think that skin and organs are living tissue.

MJ12 Commando said:
No, worse.

She's gone sane. All the ways normal people have to avoid facing the suffering and harm society creates? Well, she can see past those, and has to if she wants to use her powers. Kind of like the people in the Omelas thread who said "BURN IT ALL! SOCIETY SUCKS!"... except she's applying this to the society she's living in because she's gotten the rationalizations stripped from her.
And isn't sanity just a one-trick pony? When you're sane you only have one trick, rational thought. But when you're good and crazy the sky is the limit.

Ravraxas said:
It doesn't loop people's mind because it can't affect living matter. That's the manton effect right from a (fictional) textbook.
The issue there being that it does loop the rest of them, so the reason the mind is not looped is not because it cannot effect living matter. The rest of the body is alive too, and under the effects of Grey Boy's loop.

Lunatic350 said:
The issue there being that it does loop the rest of them, so the reason the mind is not looped is not because it cannot effect living matter. The rest of the body is alive too, and under the effects of Grey Boy's loop.
It also loops the brain tissue. Otherwise they'd eventually die of Parkinson's or brain cancer or some such.
More likely the Shard stores copies of the memories and uploads them into the victim every loop.

hyzmarca said:
It also loops the brain tissue. Otherwise they'd eventually die of Parkinson's or brain cancer or some such.
More likely the Shard stores copies of the memories and uploads them into the victim every loop.
It's more likely that Grey Boy's power is an very stupid bit of gorn which is oh-so-edgy and makes a mockery of Worm's claims to be scientific and materialistic, and it's generally better to treat the canon character as if he's a wizard who knows Curse of Eternal Torture.

When you're having to contrive that kind of rationalisation for how "oh, they're totally frozen in a time loop forever, but they still experience time and have memory formation, but they don't have neural plasticity and won't have their brains shut down after a few months at most from lack of sleep", then you really have to question why on earth you wanted to write a character who can torture you foooooooooorever in the first place.

Basically, yes, I'm saying Grey Boy is just too gosh-darned 2edgy4me.

(Also, I find people with convoluted "Only X can beat them" to be pretty contrived and offensive at a narrative level when used hamhandedly or excessively.)

Matsci said:
I think he's more pointing out that you don't think that skin and organs are living tissue.
Yea, right. My bad, that was a huge derp on my part.

After refreshing my memory of that part of Worm via wiki (I willingly admit that after the appearance of Weaver I stopped paying as much attention as I should had) didn't his power work by manipulating time like Clockblocker? if so an explanation may be that it isn't really a limitation of his powers, but a choice he makes in order to satisfy his own sadism. Otherwise I agree with ES.

hyzmarca said:
And isn't sanity just a one-trick pony? When you're sane you only have one trick, rational thought. But when you're good and crazy the sky is the limit.
No. Sanity lets you plan ahead and not do fucking stupid shit that gets you killed because you're a nutjob who didn't think to take into account perfectly sensible and blatantly obvious things that any normal person would have thought of. When you're "good and crazy", you miss things, react illogically and in dumb ways to events around you because your brain isn't working right, and wind up making simple, easy-to-correct mistakes and getting splattered.

Sorry, but Imago goes for verisimilitude and realism. And in the real world, "being crazy" isn't a superpower that lets you outmanoeuvre all those pesky people who are limited by their "sanity" and "logic" and "rational, evidence-based planning that has contingency measures for what to do if the plan goes off the rails". The universe will not play along with your delusions because you see things in a way that's more speshuler than puny pathetic sanity. You're just mentally ill, a state which is rarely conducive to competency, and the universe will roll over you and crush you beneath its tracks because it does not give a shit about you, and the nice logical sane people understand how it actually works, and you don't.

And frankly, "leave sanity behind and you can be much more effective!" is just fairly blatant and incredibly boring anti-intellectualism, which tries to cast learning, knowledge, logic and rationality as "bad things", and delusion, superstition, irrationality and chaos as "good things". Which is fucking stupid.

EarthScorpion said:
(Also, I find people with convoluted "Only X can beat them" to be pretty contrived and offensive at a narrative level when used hamhandedly or excessively.)
Eh, at least nine people I can think of off hand could beat him, though three of those are tinkers (so they couldn't do it off hand) and one of them is Scion. Thinking he's over the top is fine, but hard to kill villains have their place, and in that he wasn't particularly egregious.

It just occurred to me that Taylor's powers of perception are gong to make unmasking capes rather easy. Or, to be more precise, the discovery would be coincidental in that - assuming that the cloths a person is wearing don't affect (or don't significantly affect) their symbolic representation in the Other Place - Taylor would notice that, say, Sophia and Shadow Stalker look like the same thing in the Other Place.

TheLastOne said:
Eh, at least nine people I can think of off hand could beat him, though three of those are tinkers (so they couldn't do it off hand) and one of them is Scion. Thinking he's over the top is fine, but hard to kill villains have their place, and in that he wasn't particularly egregious.
'Hard to kill' isn't 'impossible unless you have a specific power', it's hard.

Arkeus said:
'Hard to kill' isn't 'impossible unless you have a specific power', it's hard.
And I'm not talking about people with one specific power. Grey Boy can't be killed by hitting him harder, no matter how big 'harder' get, but there are actually a number of people who can kill him. That's perfect fine.

Aleph said:
No. Sanity lets you plan ahead and not do fucking stupid shit that gets you killed because you're a nutjob who didn't think to take into account perfectly sensible and blatantly obvious things that any normal person would have thought of. When you're "good and crazy", you miss things, react illogically and in dumb ways to events around you because your brain isn't working right, and wind up making simple, easy-to-correct mistakes and getting splattered.

Sorry, but Imago goes for verisimilitude and realism. And in the real world, "being crazy" isn't a superpower that lets you outmanoeuvre all those pesky people who are limited by their "sanity" and "logic" and "rational, evidence-based planning that has contingency measures for what to do if the plan goes off the rails". The universe will not play along with your delusions because you see things in a way that's more speshuler than puny pathetic sanity. You're just mentally ill, a state which is rarely conducive to competency, and the universe will roll over you and crush you beneath its tracks because it does not give a shit about you, and the nice logical sane people understand how it actually works, and you don't.

And frankly, "leave sanity behind and you can be much more effective!" is just fairly blatant and incredibly boring anti-intellectualism, which tries to cast learning, knowledge, logic and rationality as "bad things", and delusion, superstition, irrationality and chaos as "good things". Which is fucking stupid.
People do sometimes use it as a metaphor for an unusual perspective or different priorities than they are expected to have, though.

TheLastOne said:
And I'm not talking about people with one specific power. Grey Boy can't be killed by hitting him harder, no matter how big 'harder' get, but there are actually a number of people who can kill him. That's perfect fine.
In-setting, the only characters that cannot be killed by a random team of military with adequate planning is Scion and gray boy. That's fine for Scion- not for Gray Boy.

Arkeus said:
In-setting, the only characters that cannot be killed by a random team of military with adequate planning is Scion and gray boy. That's fine for Scion- not for Gray Boy.
... hardly. This is going seriously off topic, but you're flat wrong here.

Arkeus said:
Off top of my head: Crawler, GU, Khonsu, Tohu, Bohu, Simurgh, Behemoth, Leviathan, Eidolon, Alexandria, Legend, Narwhal, Eden, Contessa, and Thanda Teleporter Guy. This is assuming your supposed military is willing to cause nuclear winter to get at the parahumans and by random team of military you mean the entire military of a well developed first world nation. There are any number of others who might be killable with sufficient effort but generally really aren't worth the effort.

Now more on topic I'm wondering what people on the recieving end of Taylor's power will think it is. Also this is one of those Taylors who if on the recieving end of Tattletale's "I'm a totally legit telepath" speech will just respond with "Oh you too? Good to have some company.".

Joebobjoe said:
Now more on topic I'm wondering what people on the recieving end of Taylor's power will think it is. Also this is one of those Taylors who if on the recieving end of Tattletale's "I'm a totally legit telepath" speech will just respond with "Oh you too? Good to have some company.".
I actually wonder how Taylor will perceive other parahuman powers.

Back