I know the cross-over has been announced, but I am getting a strangely strong DMC-remake vib off of this chapter, is that intentional? Even the whole Other Place power....
I'm probably just seeing things, but the thought occurs, you know?

On a Watsonian level, I'll note that 3rd world nations which lacked a copper wire infrastructure seem to have had an easier time adopting cell technology, and that in the event of a large city-level catastrophe, emergency microwave towers are way easier to set up than emergency wired-telecom relay stations.

But if you want POTS to be a thing, that's easily remedied: the microwave / cell infrastructure is not available to the poor, who have bad credit or no credit or are unable to afford the high up-front cost of a cell phone, so the local telecom monopoly takes the microwave / cell tower data and generously feeds it into the POTS relay stations. (Sometimes POTS goes down but who cares, rich people and first responders can still communicate just fine.)

EarthScorpion said:
And at a Doylist level, mid-90s is a much more useful technology level for oppressive humanity-has-declined urban fantasy. No smartphones, which means far fewer cameras, which means there are far fewer impromptu images of capes around - you have to use a proper camera and then scan the image in (and scanners are expensive). No handheld access to internet. No capacity to just google things casually - when you want to check something at home, you have to go use dialup and that means no one can call you (and Taylor can't easily secretly browse). If she wants internet access without her dad knowing, she has to go find a library and that opens up its own issues (and gets her out of the house, so Plot can happen). Information is more restricted, communications are harder, people are more isolated.
I wonder if there is justification for a class of "trusted citizens", who have the privilege of carrying around a smart phone with high-speed internet access, in trade for having their location tracked and their behavior analyzed by their pantoptiPhone. These would be the rich but not influential, those whose welfare is invested in the welfare of the system but who are not powerful enough to change the system in any meaningful way.

A not-too-uncommon population of fairly rich people having panoptiPhones may also be useful cover for Capes to disguise their civilian-guise communicators.

I wonder if there is a Free Software super-villain. If your cell phone actually is a tool of imprisonment, there's gotta be someone zealously trying to jail-break them.

zergloli said:
On a Watsonian level, I'll note that 3rd world nations which lacked a copper wire infrastructure seem to have had an easier time adopting cell technology, and that in the event of a large city-level catastrophe, emergency microwave towers are way easier to set up than emergency wired-telecom relay stations.
I'll note that I did say they have phones. They're just mid-90s phones unless you're rich. Which means you have something which can get texts, phone people, and play Snake. You don't have a built in camera, you don't have an internet browser, you don't have GPS (though no one has GPS, because the Simurgh - while trollfacing - went and smashed up all the satellites in a way to maximise chaotic debris patterns and every attempt to launch anything into orbit has been hit by space debris).

Oh, and jamming devices to fuck up commercial phones have proliferated through the criminal underworld, because honestly, if you can only afford one bit of hypertech from a black market vendor who's selling, a mobile phone jammer is more directly useful than most things and is pretty low-tech hypertech.

EarthScorpion said:
Oh, and jamming devices to fuck up commercial phones have proliferated through the criminal underworld, because honestly, if you can only afford one bit of hypertech from a black market vendor who's selling, a mobile phone jammer is more directly useful than most things and is pretty low-tech hypertech.
Since when is a Radio-jammer hyper-tech? :eek:

EarthScorpion said:
Did I say anything at all? :p
I believe you said that the Anti-Monitor makes a crappy villain because readers can't grasp the scale of infinite earths and no one would have any reason to care even if they could.

I'm not sure of your opinion on Clueless Autistic Superman. Though I'd think that he'd be too much of a deus ex machina unless you were doing a story about Clueless Autistic Superman struggling with his disabilities, which you don't seem to be.

Matsci said:
Perhaps the tech to jam hyper-tech phones is itself hyper-tech?

hyzmarca said:
I'm not sure of your opinion on Clueless Autistic Superman. Though I'd think that he'd be too much of a deus ex machina
Scion can't be a deus ex machina since he was in plain sight for the whole narrative.

Chekhov's God, perhaps.

zergloli said:
Perhaps the tech to jam hyper-tech phones is itself hyper-tech?

Scion can't be a deus ex machina since he was in plain sight for the whole narrative.

Chekhov's God, perhaps.
We should really try to mug Chekhov at some point, the amount of loot we could get....

Didn't Taylor see some nice glowy butterflies in the nuthouse?

Now I'm wondering if there might be another Other Place, one shaped by hopes and dreams, that reflects the world as the way it wishes it was, but knows that it isn't. Sweet lies, to the Other Place's monstrous truths, so to speak.

Jorlem said:
Now I'm wondering if there might be another Other Place, one shaped by hopes and dreams, that reflects the world as the way it wishes it was, but knows that it isn't. Sweet lies, to the Other Place's monstrous truths, so to speak.
Considering it's based on Wormverse, perhaps the Other Place is what the world aspires to be.

So, no Google. Probably no decent search engines at all; that sort of concentration of effort would be one of the first things Ziz would smash up. There's a reason Google is the largest internet company around, and it's largely to do with necessity.

That, along with reduced access, means the internet is a much smaller place - and yet, to find anything there, you need to ask people. It would dramatically increase the importance of well-known places such as PHO, because you can't just google for Shadow Stalker.

EarthScorpion said:
Dad handed me a bundle of dollar bills distractedly as we got out of the car.
Not sure if it matters really, but Worm'maraca, uses dollar coins. And it makes sense to, considering the cost of replacing worn out bills compared to coins, and the state of the economy.

Edit: Ignore me! My mind automatically jumped to 1$ because I'm stupid.

EarthScorpion said:
I'll note that I did say they have phones. They're just mid-90s phones unless you're rich. Which means you have something which can get texts, phone people, and play Snake. You don't have a built in camera, you don't have an internet browser, you don't have GPS (though no one has GPS, because the Simurgh - while trollfacing - went and smashed up all the satellites in a way to maximise chaotic debris patterns and every attempt to launch anything into orbit has been hit by space debris).

Does it even count as hypertech at all? I'm pretty sure you could jam a cellphone with WWII technology if you gave them a ten minute explanation.

Nero200 said:
I know the cross-over has been announced, but I am getting a strangely strong DMC-remake vib off of this chapter, is that intentional? Even the whole Other Place power....
Honestly, if it's not just an extension of the cruel metaphor-logic previously on display, it looks more like a They Live reference, which is where DmC ripped it from. They Live had better fights, too.

EarthScorpion said:
That may be plausible but it rings of "no bars". Why go so far?

SolipsistSerpen said:
So far? I can go pick one of those up right now. If you're going to have schizo tech, no reason to leave out something so simple.

Though actually, the probable profusion of land lines in the setting makes cell phone jammers much less useful than in our world. You'd have to physically cut those as well to ensure your targets can't call for help.
There's a difference between "people say on the internet that you can get these things, and you can with some work, and maybe even make it work with some technical know-how" and "tech has evolved such that it's common for criminals to have cellphone jammers [+horror]".

Azunth said:
He's the sort of person who's so negative he can look into the heart of Danny Herbert and only see his anger. Now think; how much does that leave out?
Well, to be fair, most of what we know about Danny in canon is by implication. His anger and hesitancy to talk with his daughter are about all we get of him directly in cannon. But yeah, more fics should give Danny some more character. One of the great things about imago is that Danny actually acts like a union guy, instead of an parental cut-out like in canon.

The second assumption that Taylor's made is that she's the only one who can access the Other Place, and that others aren't aware of it. That's probably going to backfire.
Only probably?

Nero200 said:
We should really try to mug Chekhov at some point, the amount of loot we could get....
... Spacebattles. It's like that.

Guessmyname said:
Ah, such wonderful cynicism.

...Though who the hell calls their clothing store Monarch Clothes. It just doesn't seem a good or sensible name for a brand store (which I'm assuming it is from the location and sweatshop connection).
Clearly, someone who wants to tell you that they're selling clothing "fit for a king/queen".

Azunth said:
Anyway, a couple of things that struck me. One, the Other Place is relentlessly negative. I'm currently leaning toward the idea that anything "positive" simply has no reflection, on the basis that Danny's "other place" form primarily reflected his temper, not his love. Regardless of whether I'm right or there is something or there is something more subtle going on, utter lack off good or wholesome things reflected is notable. Even in a world as dark as Imago? That's a massive blind spot. All those truths from the other place are half-truths; selfish motives, echoes of cruelty, and character flaws all taken out of context, jumbled with symbolic hints.
Taylor was hardly in the best mental place when she got these powers, remember? Or physical place, come to mention it.

And what does she see everywhere? Rust, squalor, filth and blood. And she sees everyone as monsters. Possibly related?

(In which EarthScorpion raises the possibility that maybe it was just a "normal" Trigger event all along, she's a parahuman with a powerful Thinker ability combined with a peculiarly flexible minion-making thing which seems to be an expansion of the Thinker stuff, and all the guessing as to what she might have been was a waste of time. :D )

Nero200 said:
The nWoD core isn't really a setting in the same sense that, say, the oWoD was. It's more a set of design principles, of theme and feel. Honestly, in some ways it's not really accurate to call it a crossover. And as very broad horror which can be used for a lot of different things, I can take things from where ever I want.

... however, any use of the DMC remake would be a teeny bit handicapped by the fact I haven't played it. :p

Matsci said:
"Hypertech" in an Imago context really refers to "more advanced than 1995-ish". So, it can be like that for questions of size, power supply, and ability to do computational tricks.

But yeah, the tinkerfab more-advanced-designs by-and-large are only evolutions of radio jammers. Now, when you get into the kind of Tinkertech things that the government or groups with a pet Tinker might have, then you're getting rather more "hyper" (like something which triangulates the location of every mobile phone in the area and assigns a voice to anyone who tries to use their phone to call), but yeah, the cheaper ones are there to give you more time.

Because in a world with superheroes, having someone with super-speed show up to the crime scene when you're busy really takes the fun out of things.

EarthScorpion said:
"Hypertech" in an Imago context really refers to "more advanced than 1995-ish". So, it can be like that for questions of size, power supply, and ability to do computational tricks.
Can you call that hi-tech, maybe? Just a suggestion. "Hi-tech", here, now, means things that do awesome things but are out of a lot of people's range. I think that word would work nicely for 2010 tech in Imago.

I still think that Tinkers are being very unimaginative, or greedy, or selfish, or something. I dunno, maybe there're cities out there that aren't too high on the tech curve but just 'acceptable' while being relatively not rich? Like, why aren't there small tickerfab factories scattered around and remotely managed by tightbeam (towers or nodes on roofs) from central, directly managed factories? I know I'm maybe hammering this too much; it's still a bit hard to grasp how much damage Endbringers can do out of schedule. Even though their full-attack schedule is more spaced out (it is twice yearly, no?).

I haven't actually played it either, just seen some of it and it struck me as similar, although with the butterflies...
Philemon?
With the different constructs as pseudo persona?
...And i'm over thinking things again.

Nero200 said:
I haven't actually played it either, just seen some of it and it struck me as similar, although with the butterflies...
Philemon?
With the different constructs as pseudo persona?
...And i'm over thinking things again.
Yes, wrong crossover!

I hope. Otherwise poor Taylor is in an even worse spot. Mixing in MegaTen would be... Problematic.

Baughn said:
Yes, wrong crossover!

I hope. Otherwise poor Taylor is in an even worse spot. Mixing in MegaTen would be... Problematic.
Yes, lets go with problematic.
There seems to be use of the actual psychology behind the 'Persona' though, Social masks and such, if a little more... literal.
Philemon could be a good cape-name though, if she chooses to stand against what she sees.

Back