SolipsistSerpen said:
Master/Thinker/Breaker probably. Even if we ignore the fact her power manifests as minions (because other people don't see them they'll just see the effects), the possible emotional control aspects would still put her into the Master camp.
Incidentally, this kind of thing is why, in Imago, the Thinker/Tinker/etc scale has a role much like the Richter scale - which is to say, it's not actually what modern professional organisations use, but it's engrained in the public consciousness so it still sees use, especially in news reports and things for public consumption.

The Modified Manton-Li-Bhati system (MMLB) doesn't classify "people who can make constructs" in the same group as "people who can control living beings" (and has an entirely separate sub-class for "can control humans" in the latter), and classifies "parahuman durability" separately from "parahuman physical strength" among other things, because those are critical distinctions which totally shift how to handle them and which are lost in the traditional scale.

People just use the old scale because that was what hit the public consciousness and because it has pithy memorable names (better names than the MMLB), even if those memorable names are really unhelpfully chosen when it comes to emergency reports because they aren't audibly distinctive enough (you just try understanding down the radio when there's a lot of noise whether they're saying 'Thinker' or 'Tinker').

EarthScorpion said:
Incidentally, this kind of thing is why, in Imago, the Thinker/Tinker/etc scale has a role much like the Richter scale - which is to say, it's not actually what modern professional organisations use, but it's engrained in the public consciousness so it still sees use, especially in news reports and things for public consumption.

The Modified Manton-Li-Bhati system (MMLB) doesn't classify "people who can make constructs" in the same group as "people who can control living beings" (and has an entirely separate sub-class for "can control humans" in the latter), and classifies "parahuman durability" separately from "parahuman physical strength" among other things, because those are critical distinctions which totally shift how to handle them and which are lost in the traditional scale.

People just use the old scale because that was what hit the public consciousness and because it has pithy memorable names (better names than the MMLB), even if those memorable names are really unhelpfully chosen when it comes to emergency reports because they aren't audibly distinctive enough (you just try understanding down the radio when there's a lot of noise whether they're saying 'Thinker' or 'Tinker').
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is probably going to becaome a major plot point. Since at least some of the countermeasures I would use to counter Taylor's apparent powers are very different than the ones I'd use for countering her actual powers.

For example- she could very well appear to be a high-level Breaker-Blaster type Teleporter right off the bat, perhapse with a side of sight-based combat clairvoyance of some sort, something along those lines, right? I'd counter that with Blasters working from beyond her effective range. Perhapse Tinker drones. Stranger powers like Imp's seem to be countered by Thinker powers, so that's a toss-up. Otherwise I'd use Strangers. Use Shakers to limit her vision, box her in.

In essence, try to find a gap in her perception and attack from outside her effective range. And limit her ability to move. Limit visibility.

Except, her power dosen't seem to have an actual effective range, since her minions can bring it with them. Using Tinkers would probably allow her to backtrace the source (if the television thing is any measure) and she might be able to mess with them that way...

I'm just putting the hypothetical out there- the point is I'm guessing that's gonna be a plot point, right? Interesting if it is.

Azure said:
Dragon: "You create living constructs and then metaphysically chain them so that they have to obey your will? I'd put that level of AI cruelty at approximately 1.3 Richters."

...Oh. Earthquakes. Right.
Yeah, the canon classification system sucks.
It's not very accurate, but on one level it makes a lot of sense- since people makeing up a classification system back when powers were first manifesting would be working with an incomplete picture. A catchy, rhyming general classification system that is easy to convey in venacular and which does give a rough aproximation of what the Parahuman in question can do- in a format that is steril enough for the evening news... sounds legit to me.

[shrug]

As ES said: it's what was there first, and so it is what stuck in people's minds. Plus, unless you're actually fighting Parahumans, or a Parahuman who cares about your classification, there's nothing actually wrong with it. It's just not very case-specific. It gives an overveiw the same way saying 'vermin infestation' covers rats, termites, and spiders. You want different gear and such to deal with termites as opposed to rats, but the statement isn't wrong, you know?

I find myself wondering, since the bit where Taylor thought about what would happen if she unchained her father's Other Place self, if/when she's going to try chaining another person in the Other Place. Not necessarily any of the bullies, there are plenty of others she could plausibly target (and have moral justification for doing so), but Sophia springs readily to mind.

I've been reading enough other things that I've forgotten: does Taylor know yet that Sophi is Shadow Stalker, in this one? If she does, using her powers on her becomes totally within the Rules, AFAICT.

I wonder if she can chain someone's insanity.

Prince Charon said:
I've been reading enough other things that I've forgotten: does Taylor know yet that Sophi is Shadow Stalker, in this one? If she does, using her powers on her becomes totally within the Rules, AFAICT.
Pretty sure she doesn't.

And "within the rules", maybe, but still quite illegal. Mind-affecting capes seem to be in a precarious position, too; see Canary.

Azure said:
Striker contains:
-People you don't want to get into melee with (e.g. Clockblocker, Brandish)
-People who don't need to get close at all (e.g. Rune, Ballistic, Assault)
-Squishy supports (e.g. Othala, Panacea)

Thinker contains:
-People who have powerful noncombat abilities but can be shot with containment foam just fine (Accord, Dinah, Tattletale)
-You're dead (Number Man, Contessa, Simurgh)

Trump contains:
-Power negators/stealers (the classification system is designed for PRT agents who don't have powers to affect so these should be the least threatening parahumans there are).
-Fucking Eidolon and Glastig

Shaker contains:
-People with defensive forcefields, people who can kill you pretty much instantly (Scrub, Narwhal), people who can trap you in hellish dreamworlds, people who make it really cold, pretty much anything really.

Tinker contains:
-People who can build any bullshit you can think of. You really want to know what their speciality is before you fight.

Mover:
-People who can fly or close enough should be separated from people who are just fast because it adds a whole new dimension to the fight.

I'm not sure there's a category that doesn't have a problem with it. Brute isn't too bad.
Brute*:
-People who can benchpress a lot more than they ought (Lots of capes)
-People who are bullet-proof (Alexandria)
-People who heal really quickly (Echidna, Crawler)
-Exotic body structures that make it harder to neutralize them (Weld, Aegis, Crawler)
-Combo platter Brutes (lots here too, Crawler)

*It's noted in-canon that most capes probably have a very low-level degree of at least one of these possable powers, even if it's not their main power or obvious.

Tinker can probably be subdivided into Vehicular, Armament, Structural, Bio, and Power-source focused. It seems most of them have one or two of those as a primary theme. Example: Armsmaster was Armament and Power. Squealer is Vehicular and Armamaent. Sphere was Structural and Bio.... Eh, this one can use some work, but the idea has merit, probably.

I forgot about most of the Strangers (hah). But I think that category was pretty coherent, just different levels of "you can't notice this person / this person's actions".

illhousen said:
From what I understand, she didn't chain Danny, he did it himself by suppressing his anger. It is his canon characterization: he knows he has a temper, but he tries to not give in to it.

Taylor did say she won't use mind control on her father, after all.
I never said anything about her chaining him (and was already aware that she didn't, which I thought would be clear from context), just that she thought about unchaining him.

Immanent Thing said:
There was fan speculation that it was classified as Stranger and somebody asked Wildbow about it. Shaker, I believe.
Huh? How dose that make any sense? It's a mental effect, that means it'd be Stranger, Master, or maaaaybe Thinker (if it's got a really exotic mechanism that also allows her to sense the kind of emotions that it's augmenting). o_O:confused:

...In that vein, I look forward to seeing ES's classification system.

Maybe it'll make sense...

Pretty great.

I'm interested to see where it'll go, and/or what will happen when she breaks out of the locker in her dreams.

I wonder if Taylor will be able to use her power to make other people trigger, considering it's basically "And i must scream"/Mindfuck
Traumatic situation--->Fight or Flight--->Triggers everywhere.

An Imago of Rust and Crimson

Chapter 2.04

The morning took too long to arrive. The nightmare of the locker had cut through the sleeping pills, and I couldn't have any more. I just lay there sleepless, listening to the sound of the cars outside. The rain slowed and stopped just before dawn. I felt shattered. Therefore, the only responsible thing to do today was catch up on my rest, with a nice lazy morning as an incidental bonus. Unfortunately, dad knocked on my door around 11am.

"Morning," he said, though I could tell his cheerfulness was a front. "Um… can you please get up and get dressed quickly, Taylor?" he asked me.

I stared at him blearily, rubbing my eyes on my sleeve. "Gneargh?" I managed. Or maybe some other mess of syllables which might be made by someone running on almost no sleep.

"Something's come up at work," he said. "I'm meant to be off today, but… look, it's serious. And not in a good way."

"You could leave me at home?" I tried, trying to suppress an only slightly exaggerated yawn.

"I'm not really… uh, comfortable with that," he said, obviously picking his words with care. "You- you can take books, right? And just stay in the waiting room. But I want to be around you and… look, I just don't want to leave you alone, okay?"

I raised a hand in defeat. "Give me fifteen minutes to get up and dressed and stuff," I said, the yawn I'd been trying to suppress escaping. I tried honesty. "I didn't sleep well. Bad dreams."

My dad looked sympathetic. "Do you want to talk about it?" he tried.

"Not really," I said. "I… I just dreamed about the locker. And then I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep." I shook my head. "What am I meant to do? I… I was only in there for like an hour or two. I know that. I've spent longer dreaming of it than…" I bit down on my lip, trying not to shake. "It'll go away some time, right?" I asked. I coughed. "Now, if you'll excuse me…"

I stumbled through to the bathroom and splashed cold water on my face. In the Other Place, the floor was littered with broken tiles, and the light above the sink cast a particularly harsh and unforgiving white glare, which made my face look wan and sickly in the broken mirror.

This wasn't what I'd wanted to happen on my first night home. Fuck. I felt like shit and… God, what was even happening with Dad? He had his really-serious face on. I remembered he'd been talking about the riots and things when I'd been in the hospital, but I thought they'd died down. Had they flared up again?

I couldn't function like this. If something big was happening, I wanted to be awake to face it, not running off fumes and a few hours of staring at the ceiling… I sighed. Time to fix it.

My tiredness was an ugly little baby-thing with midnight blue skin and a pale, horse-like mask. It constantly screamed out a lullaby that made my eyes droop despite its dissonant voice. I envisioned it nailed to the wall with iron nails the length of my forearm, heard its song choked off, and felt immediately much more awake. Why hadn't I thought of doing this earlier? This way I could avoid the nightmares.

Though it might be kind of unhealthy. I'd need to see if I was just making myself ignore my fatigue, or I was actually no longer tired. I'd feel like such a fool if I dropped dead from sleep deprivation because it turned out that I was still physically paying for it.

I tapped the sink. If I only slept every other day, maybe I could be too tired to dream when I actually rested. That'd be good. And I'd have more time to do stuff. Well, I'd see. I wasn't sure yet that suppressing my tiredness like this was exactly safe. Drying my face, I left Cry Baby nailed to the wall, and went to get dressed.

It had stopped raining, and the clouds had cleared up during the night. Unfortunately, just meant that it had become bitterly cold, and there was ice on the sidewalks. The main thoroughfares had been salted and gritted, but I saw two crashed cars on the way to Dad's work. Someone had died in one of them. I shivered. I didn't want to know that. It made me think of Mum. I tried to put it out of my mind as Dad parked in the car park for the Dockworker's Union.

The union office was surrounded on all sides by the decaying industrial infrastructure of Brockton Bay. The streets had been built wide, to allow for fleets of trucks that had long stopped coming. Old cranes rose into the skyline like predatory insects. In the Other Place, they wept rust. Every pool of water I saw shimmered with iridescent layers of oil, and the surfaces were blackened and grimy. At least the blood rain was gone. It hadn't left so much as a stain, as though it had never happened.

Of course, according to everyone else, it hadn't.

There was someone waiting for my dad in the foyer. They were about the same height, but while Dad was a beanpole like me, the other guy was built like a brick wall. He had deep bags under his eyes, and he looked exhausted. "Sorry 'bout calling you in, Danny," he said by way of apology.

Dad sighed. "I can't say I'm happy, Cal, but from what you said on the phone…" he trailed off and shook his head, before glancing at me. "Taylor, just wait here," he said. He dug around in his pocket for change. "Get yourself something to eat from the vending machines," he added. "I'll try to get this done as soon as possible, but… you have a book in your bag, right?"

I nodded, pursing my lips slightly. Something was going on and I didn't know what. This had to be important if he was being called in like this, and everyone was being evasive in front of me. It was just a moment's thought to shift to the Other Place, before I paused. Was it really right to just casually spy on my dad?

No, it wasn't, I decided. I would show restraint, like I had before. Dad was off limits. I wouldn't abuse my powers like that. Putting my hands in my pockets, I slouched off to stare at the vending machine. Was I feeling in a chocolate mood? Urgh. I really didn't want to start the day with that for breakfast. And I wanted a proper lunch too. I was going to be healthier, I'd promised myself. Hmm. I really should start my new exercise regime.

I heard a muffled thump, and frowned, looking around. Now that I was listening for them, I could hear raised voices, just at the edge of audibility, from the room Dad and the other guy had gone into. I managed to keep a hold on my curiosity until the second thump. What on Earth was going on in there? I focussed, breathed out two twin butterfly-winged dolls, and sent one in to listen, while its twin repeated everything it heard.

"You don't think I don't fucking know that?" my dad snapped, his voice coming from the mouth of the chipped china doll. "But there's never any proof!"

I gasped, and then looked around nervously to see if anyone was paying attention to me. "That's really expensive," I said. That probably was one of the least convincing attempts to cover up surprise ever, but at least I'd made the effort. But what? What was going on here?

"Who needs proof? Remember? Tim now, Aaron Crikton when he tried to unionise Walmart, Yusuf from the Teamsters! Even when they find someone, it's always some petty ganger!"

"There's no proof, Cal," my dad grated. He sounded furious, but he seemed to have it – barely – under control. "Whoever's doing this, they win if we lash out."

"Whatever happened to the Dan me and Tim used to know in the old days!" Cal retorted. "He might die, and they killed his son! They win if we sit back and take it!"

"I know!" There was a pause, and I heard him panting. "I know," Dad said more quietly. "Godfuckingdammit. We can't win either way. Fuck it."

"I know, right?" Cal had also gone quiet. "Anyway."

"Yeah. The insurance stuff. I'll need to hold down the fort today. I'll go talk to his wife tomorrow."

"Yeah. There are other people we'll need to talk to, too. Without Tim around, that changes things."

"I don't want to even think about that. We can see where that goes at the next meeting," my dad said, so softly I could barely hear him. "Never mind. It's for later." He coughed, and took a deep breath. "Do I look calmed down?" he asked.

"Give it a few moments," the other man said. "Heh. Taylor's shot up like a weed, she has. I can remember when she was just yay-high. Takes after you there. Looks a lot like you, too." He paused. "How's she doing?" he asked, sounding awkward.

I could hear the shrug from my dad. "Better," he said tersely. "The doctors say so, anyway. Me… I don't even know. I thought I knew her and then it turns out all this stuff was happening with her and…" he sighed. "We're just taking it day by day. I don't even know what to say, half the time. But enough about that." I heard a door click. "Let's just get this over and done with."

I called the dolls back to me, and reinhaled them as my dad approached, before looking him up and down in the Other Place. His fire was almost out of control, straining and licking the ceiling. I winced, and took a deep breath. I wanted to help him – but it just didn't feel right to try to chain his anger. It felt… icky. Wrong.

"What's going on?" I asked my dad. He'd expect me to ask, and I wanted to see what he'd tell me.

"Tim… someone I've known for a long time, he's our treasurer, he's been shot. The police say it looks like it was a white nationalist gang," he said. "I'm sorry, Taylor, but I'm going to have to help deal with the insurance. And we'll have to go visit him in hospital, maybe today, probably tomorrow." His lips were thin. "You should remember Tim. Short, dark skin, glasses?"

It did ring a distant bell. I vaguely remembered people from Dad's work I'd seen over the years. "The one with the funny tattoo on his arm?" I hazarded.

Dad winced. "Yes," he said. "I should have guessed you'd remember that." He took a deep breath. "Anyway. Taylor, this is going to take a while. I'll give you some money. There's a diner just up the road, closer to the docks. Go get lunch. Stay close."

"And if I go somewhere else or something, I'll come tell you," I said quickly. I hadn't much liked the look of the place he suggested. I'd seen it on the drive in. It had been decidedly greasy spoonish. I was going to be eating more healthily than I had in the hospital. And if it took a long time, I could maybe go for a jog. Maybe not. The air was cold enough that my lungs would probably start hurting if I jogged. But I could give it a go, and if it didn't work out, I could at least walk.

He pursed his lips. "I'd prefer if I knew where you were," he said. "I'd wanted to spend today at home with you. A nice quiet day."

"I won't go too far," I said quickly. "If I even go. It depends if they do anything that I want, right?"

"Just… be safe," he said, wearily.

"I will," I promised him.

My breath steamed in front of me when I stepped out of the entrance. I rubbed my gloved hands together, and stuck them in the pockets of my coat. Wherever I went, I wanted something hot to drink. In a place with heating.

In the end, I did just go to the place he pointed out. Finding a seat, I ordered a coffee, and got started on Foucault's Pendulum. Reading slightly old books was always odd. Not really old books, but books which were just about old enough for the world to be very different, but still familiar. It was sort of like reading science fiction. I mean, I did intellectually understand that there had been such a thing as a world without capes and without the Endbringers, but reading about it always seemed strange.

And boy, was this book stranger than most. The foreword had mentioned that it was a translation from the Italian. Maybe I would have understood it better if I was Italian and got all the references. Probably not. The characters made all these complicated references to various conspiracy theories and – huh, I'd never even thought that a vanity publisher would work like that. It really seemed like things like that should be illegal. Like, it was basically fraud. Oh, and it was all flashbacks and… was it a parody of conspiracy stories? It was a bit – was literary the right word? Literary? Fancy? Not-written-to-be-funny? – to be a parody.

Leah was a very strange girl to read books like this for fun, I had to conclude. Mind you, I didn't put it down, so I was clearly a bit strange as well.

I snorted to myself. Yeah, just a bit. I only saw twisted monsters in a horrible hell-world when I used my weird parahuman talent. Barely worth mentioning.

Still, to spend my first full day out of a mental hospital sitting in a diner reading a book was nice. I didn't even see the Other Place once, because I was hungry and didn't want to see anything that would put me off my food. The last thing I wanted was to see that the waitress serving me had a fly's head or something. That would just lead to me thinking about flies and not wanting to eat anything she touched and probably feeling ill from the things I'd already had and then working myself into a worry about whether I was feeling ill from worry or because the food had been unsafe to eat in some way and… well, enough about that. No, I was just going to drink my coffee, eat and read.

And maybe spy on my dad. Just a little bit. But everything I heard from him was boring talk about insurance and I just stopped listening when he started talking to someone on the phone about coverage. I didn't like the implications that I'd heard from that first bit of conversation, though. They worried me. If people from unions were being killed… well, surely Dad'd have said something if he was in trouble, right? Wouldn't he?

I got back to my book.

An electric hum broke my concentration. I sighed, and looked up as the lights flickered and dimmed. It was 13:39 according to the clock on the wall, and still no call from Dad. And now this.

Another brownout. They were just a background feature of life in Brockton Bay. An annoying one. From what Dad had told me, the old power station down the coast at Red Beach hadn't been up to standards when it was built in the 70s, and the power company found it cheaper to pay the fines for failing to live up to regulations than actually do the full infrastructure rework that the city needed. There had been a Tinkertech powerplant built back in the early 90s to replace it, but that'd been wrecked by supervillains who'd stolen whatever thingie made it work.

I heard grumbling all around me. The television was fuzzing in and out, waves of static washing over the surface. I quickly glanced into the Other Place, but there was nothing more strange going on in the lipstick-scrawling-covered screen than usual. Oh, and the waitress was just a greyed, exhausted-looking walking corpse with threadbare clothes, which left me feeling rather better about the meal I'd just eaten. That just meant she was tired and overworked and didn't care, and probably had money problems. Which, you know, I'd kind of guessed from looking at her.

Thanks, power. Really perceptive there.

Well, I wasn't going to be getting another coffee while the power was playing up. I'd been silly enough to get a seat away from the window, too, so it'd be hard to keep on reading while the lights were flickering.

Oh, sure, I'd told my dad I'd stay here, but it wasn't far. And I had promised myself I'd get fitter. So I'd just go for a jog around the block while I waited for the power to come back on. I wouldn't go near any dangerous areas or anything like that. This wasn't the really bad area of the Docks, and I'd just do this until I could get back to reading. I put my book back in my bag, and paid my bill. The girl at the counter apologised for the power cut with a roll of her eyes, and I shrugged.

I bought a candy bar to go, and left, heading deeper into the Docks.

Last edited:
EarthScorpion said:
Though it might be kind of unhealthy. I'd need to see if I was just making myself ignore my fatigue, or I was actually no longer tired. I'd feel like such a fool if I dropped dead from sleep deprivation because it turned out that I was still physically paying for it.
Taylor: "If I do it like this, I'm not tired at all!"

EarthScorpion said:
Oh, and the waitress was just a greyed, exhausted-looking walking corpse with threadbare clothes, which left me feeling rather better about the meal I'd just eaten. That just meant she was tired and overworked and didn't care, and probably had money problems.
I love that she's completely unphased by this sort of thing now.

Renu said:
Nice one. Taylor seems to go deeper and deeper into... whatever she goes deep in.

Oh, and shouldn't " It was a bit – was literary the right word? Literary? Fancy? Not-written-to-be-funny? – to be a parody." have a 'too' after the 'bit'?
No. It's correct grammar either way.

grommile said:
The characters are American, but Scorp is writing in a distinctly British flavour of English, and in British English it's acceptable to drop the word "too" from "a bit too (adjective)".
I'm sorry. Even when I do try with the vocabulary, the best I can manage is a sort of mid-Atlantic English.

The kind of mid-Atlantic English which isn't "glug glug glug", that is.

Huh, you know Taylor might not actually have to 'pay back' on sleep. Quite a few parahumans don't have to sleep, after all. Of course, sleep mean other different things in nWoD then it does in a normal universe.

So someones doing a bit of violent union-busting. That could be pretty much anyone except Lung's crew - we don't know what capes the Triads have, but they're also unlikely. Though... I'm guessing Coil is behind it IF a parahuman is the cause. He canonically used normal humans more then anyone else, if that's still the same here that means he has the most connections to the 'normal' side of town, and would be the one most likely involved in this kind of criminal behavior.

By the way, does anyone else suspect that whoever is behind this is going to make a move on Taylor to send a message to the union?

Mutton said:
Yeah, put the too in if you want to aim for the whole Virginia through New York styled English; car park should also be parking lot for instance.
Yeah also "mum" -> "mom".

Depends how real-world east coast American you want Taylor to sound. It's an alternate earth, maybe they speak "better" English there (for some value of "better").

T-Taylor could you... could you please stop nailing subconscious babies to the freakin' walls.

So, fun fun, someone is busting the unions using gang-proxies. Liable to be someone linked to and/or funding the patriotic movement at a guess based entirely off the police interlude. I liked the bit about the tinker powerplant that got stolen; it sounds so amusingly saturday-morning-cartoonish ("Oh no! Villain of the Week is stealing the city's power supply! Whatever shall we do?"), but it and the effects thereof are shown completely seriously. I love it!

Not a lot went down in this chapter, mostly set up re: the outside world and the troubles of Taylor's dad (which, again, thank you for giving us some narrative focus on) to a degree I strongly suspect something is going to wind up happening in the next one. Coin toss on exactly what though; gangs-who-happen-to-be-there, gangs-after-Taylor-because-of-dad, the Undersiders on cue to make a bad first impression, Shadow Stalker being an asshat, the interlude police officer on leave...

Huh. If Shadow Stalker shows up, and Taylor sees her in the other place, and then later sees Sophia in the Other Place...

The question in my mind isn't so much whether there will be trouble in the next part, but whether Taylor will be using her powers in combat, and if so, what form they'll take. There are so many options, especially for a creative and intelligent munchkin like her, being written by a creative and intelligent writer like ES.

I suspect this Taylor isn't actually that good in a straight fight. Her power is really flexible, but it doesn't seem fast.

EarthScorpion said:
I nodded, pursing my lips slightly. Something was going on and I didn't know what. This had to be important if he was being called in like this, and everyone was being evasive in front of me. It was just a moment's thought to shift to the Other Place, before I paused. Was it really right to just casually spy on my dad?

No, it wasn't, I decided. I would show restraint, like I had before. Dad was off limits. I wouldn't abuse my powers like that. Putting my hands in my pockets, I slouched off to stare at the vending machine. Was I feeling in a chocolate mood? Urgh. I really didn't want to start the day with that for breakfast. And I wanted a proper lunch too. I was going to be healthier, I'd promised myself. Hmm. I really should start my new exercise regime.

I heard a muffled thump, and frowned, looking around. Now that I was listening for them, I could hear raised voices, just at the edge of audibility, from the room Dad and the other guy had gone into. I managed to keep a hold on my curiosity until the second thump. What on Earth was going on in there? I focussed, breathed out two twin butterfly-winged dolls, and sent one in to listen, while its twin repeated everything it heard.
Truly, Taylor's resolve is iron-clad, able to withstand the pressures of almost a whole paragraph.

Loving how utterly beat-to-shit this Brockton Bay is, as we've seen in the last few chapters. Canonically, it's in the middle of a depression, but we never really saw any indications of that. Here we are, and in ways that excite the plot.

Interesting to see all this speculation on which parahuman is behind the union-busting, though. It seems like it could just be a perfectly human evil. Certainly, it is in our world.

Back