I just feel sorry for the poor fool who botched his Paradox roll badly enough to summon the younger brother of the Nemesis Continuum. Only this one appears to have majored in philosophy instead of physics.

In chemistry, it's also a way of classifying substituents in a benzene ring. "Para" is the substituent next to the reference, and often goes with Orto, the furthest one from the reference.
"Meta", meanwhile, is the one between them.
Notably, there are Orto/Para directing groups and Meta directing groups, but no para/meta or orto/meta directing groups.

Last edited:
Have Scion's and Eden's current state been hinted in story yet? If not, then this whole thing may very well be the cycle of Abyssal Entities.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Methodologies are sort-of Action-Concepts that, in conjunction with either an Archetype or what I'm gonna call a Schema (until I'm corrected or told off) for metahumans, provides specific, discrete abilities (Protocols).
I think that Taylor really only has 1 Methodology, something along the lines of Dissociation, and that Butcher's confusion on the matter stems from some tendency amongst Metahumans to only figure out a couple Protocols for each Methodology they acquire, because it's easier to acquire a new Methodology from someone else, than to really dig into the Methodologies they already have.

Also, Earthscorpion, if you ever make a fansplat book from Imago of Rust and Crimson, or even just a skeleton of one for people to build on, I'm sure a lot of us would love to see it!

This story is pretty great. The whole "powers based on abstract ideas" theme Taylor has going on is really cool, especially since the author handles it in a way that doesn't make it seem overly deus ex machina-y.

So apparently SIX is some kind of memetic threat? I actually really agree with Mr. Black's stance on keeping Taylor from getting infected by any means necessary. Her powerset kinda revolves around remote viewing/information gathering, which makes her super susceptible to threats that use information as a vector of attack. I'm kind of anxious that she's going to go ahead and try to investigate the SIX stuff anyways and wind up getting mind blasted because of it.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Have Scion's and Eden's current state been hinted in story yet? If not, then this whole thing may very well be the cycle of Abyssal Entities.

I have not explicitly confirmed or denied the existence of Scion or Eden within the story - though, I should note, the lack of mention of Scion implies in itself that things are different there given there's no naked golden guy flying around being Dr Supermanhattan.

Mind you I also haven't either explicitly confirmed or denied whether Taylor is a mage - and even if she is, whether or not anything else of the cosmology is being used.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Methodologies are sort-of Action-Concepts that, in conjunction with either an Archetype or what I'm gonna call a Schema (until I'm corrected or told off) for metahumans, provides specific, discrete abilities (Protocols).
I think that Taylor really only has 1 Methodology, something along the lines of Dissociation, and that Butcher's confusion on the matter stems from some tendency amongst Metahumans to only figure out a couple Protocols for each Methodology they acquire, because it's easier to acquire a new Methodology from someone else, than to really dig into the Methodologies they already have.

Also, Earthscorpion, if you ever make a fansplat book from Imago of Rust and Crimson, or even just a skeleton of one for people to build on, I'm sure a lot of us would love to see it!

Interesting thoughts.

However, Parahuman: the Caping isn't a great match for the nWoD system, because of how the power advancement works. The "you get one power to start with that doesn't advance much - if at all" doesn't really work with XP spend.

This story is pretty great. The whole "powers based on abstract ideas" theme Taylor has going on is really cool, especially since the author handles it in a way that doesn't make it seem overly deus ex machina-y.

So apparently SIX is some kind of memetic threat? I actually really agree with Mr. Black's stance on keeping Taylor from getting infected by any means necessary. Her powerset kinda revolves around remote viewing/information gathering, which makes her super susceptible to threats that use information as a vector of attack. I'm kind of anxious that she's going to go ahead and try to investigate the SIX stuff anyways and wind up getting mind blasted because of it.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Thanks!

And it'd certainly be a way to view it. Perhaps not a correct way - after all, even if Mister Black was telling the truth, he could be wrong - and he could simply be bullshitting her.

But it's certainly possible that S IX is spread by communication between two minds.

If this was a quest I would be voting for Taylor to join the Seers/USistan gov right now. Why the protagonist never take well to the reasonable pitch?

If this was a quest I would be voting for Taylor to join the Seers/USistan gov right now. Why the protagonist never take well to the reasonable pitch?

Hm, actually this is the same argument there is in mage, controlling people vs giving people more freedom. (Pity that you can't really empathize with the Seers. Having a good villian is something I really like about MtAs.)

Hm, actually this is the same argument there is in mage, controlling people vs giving people more freedom. (Pity that you can't really empathize with the Seers. Having a good villian is something I really like about MtAs.)

Yeah, that's something that's interesting about World Of Darkness. It's a cosmic horror story, with no easy answer to the 'problem' of free will.

In cases like that, the oppressive, totalitarian, victory at any cost, etc,. are usually the least bad guys.

Reminds me of Judge Dredd a bit. In the world of Judge Dredd democracy and free will have explicitly failed. When left to their own devices the people burned their own society in the name of Liberty.
In that universe, the closest thing to a 'good' guy is the oppressive regime Judge Dredd works to enforce.

A bit utilitarian, but these are the questions that get raised.

Also, I am a goat.

In this thread: "Why isn't Taylor joining the conspiracy of hard men, ready to make hard decisions as they fight against the horrors of democracy, and the dangers inherent to freedom?"

Because she's a teenager with issues towards authority figures and people who claim to be maintaining an order that has screwed her over all her life, has been raised by a union worker whose dead wife was a radical rioter, and is running a one-woman """government conspiracy""" herself so she is keenly aware of how little a good-sounding pitch actually means? :V

Also in this thread: irony is dead.
Man, if you wanted to indicate irony, you might perhaps consider that humour is heavily dependent on tone, something you should know given you've been on the internet for more than two minutes and your SV account is at least three years old by now. If you want to make a joke, you could perhaps use the /s (to indicate sarcasm), you could perhaps use the :V or :p to indicate humour or a lack of seriousness, you have a host of tools to indicate a joke, and you choose to use none of them and are surprised that people take this seriously. Well physician, heal thyself, I guess.

Without knowledge of the Mage lines and interludes and based on the information Taylor has the Seers look shady at best. They may be a benevolent conspiracy, but just as easy may be a malevolent conspiracy with good PR department or well-intentioned extremists guided by self-serving psychopaths. That's decisions with incomplete information for you.
As I see it, the most reasonable action for Taylor just now is to find ways to obtain more information on the Seers in a discreet manner, but be ready to bolt out at first signs of danger. Personally I would ask for independent accounts on SIX effects, documented by independent organization, and signs of their operations. Maaaaayyybe try to sick them on a few shady things she could find herself.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's something that's interesting about World Of Darkness. It's a cosmic horror story, with no easy answer to the 'problem' of free will.

In cases like that, the oppressive, totalitarian, victory at any cost, etc,. are usually the least bad guys.

Reminds me of Judge Dredd a bit. In the world of Judge Dredd democracy and free will have explicitly failed. When left to their own devices the people burned their own society in the name of Liberty.
In that universe, the closest thing to a 'good' guy is the oppressive regime Judge Dredd works to enforce.

A bit utilitarian, but these are the questions that get raised.

Also, I am a goat.

Uh. I think you're thinking of the oWoD there.

This is the nWoD. Reality sure as heck (almost certainly) isn't a consensus reality here. And the cost to your own soul of Hard Man actions is not cheap.

Personally I would ask for independent accounts on SIX effects, documented by independent organization, and signs of their operations.

Aaaand that's how you get infected with S IX: trying to understand it, trying to learn how other people confronted it and whether they were successful in containing it, etc.

The conspiracy most likely rotates agents dealing with it at a high rate so they have less of a chance of being compromised.

Taylor is honestly better off leaving that alone and maybe investigate what other shady things the conspiracy's doing, like whether they're involved with Hydra and such.

But of course there is still Kirsty, who may well be an unknowing vector: by studying what was done to her (assuming she herself is not infected with the milder version mentioned by Black), it can be understood to some degree, at which point it's time for infection.

Aaaand that's how you get infected with S IX: trying to understand it, trying to learn how other people confronted it and whether they were successful in containing it, etc.

The conspiracy most likely rotates agents dealing with it at a high rate so they have less of a chance of being compromised.

Taylor is honestly better off leaving that alone and maybe investigate what other shady things the conspiracy's doing, like whether they're involved with Hydra and such.

But of course there is still Kirsty, who may well be an unknowing vector: by studying what was done to her (assuming she herself is not infected with the milder version mentioned by Black), it can be understood to some degree, at which point it's time for infection.
Ah, but that's what they want you think! We have no way of knowing if they're actually telling the truth or if this is simply a means to try and keep Taylor away from looking into things they'd rather she didn't.

trying to understand it, trying to learn how other people confronted it
Nope, not even in a wildest dream.
Just a way to detect contamination by the phenomenon and how badly it can ruin people who just happened to be at a wrong place and a wrong time. Accounts on people who ... failed to exercise restraint in their curiosity might help to build trust in the long term, but are not an immediate concern.

Taylor already has encountered effects of S IX, btw. Without understanding, how to threat the knowledge, she might eventually succumb to what she already have learned

Ah, but that's what they want you think! We have no way of knowing if they're actually telling the truth or if this is simply a means to try and keep Taylor away from looking into things they'd rather she didn't.

That is a valid interpretation, though given what we've seen in an interlude with the riot, I'm inclined to believe most of what the conspiracy said about S IX.

Nope, not even in a wildest dream.
Just a way to detect contamination by the phenomenon and how badly it can ruin people who just happened to be at a wrong place and a wrong time. Accounts on people who ... failed to exercise restraint in their curiosity might help to build trust in the long term, but are not an immediate concern.

That by itself may well be enough for contamination, especially since Taylor did indeed encounter some aftermaths of S IX and so is more at risk of being compromised.

Obviously, the true way to research S IX in safety is you begin a department to research it on your behalf, such that you have nothing to do with them.

Then you shoot anybody who applies, thus removing the sort of people who are attracted to the hazard from circulation.

Then you make notes on the sort of dangerous elements who applied, assemble a profile, and target members of the general public who fit the profile.

See? Perfectly safe! :V

Back