Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Lucy has killed the dragon and saved the kingdom!

Now what?
Prologue

Aranfan

Team Plasma Grunt
You look upon the orphanage you have funded, and smile.

"This is really going to work?"

"I see no reason why it shouldn't, Madam Lucy." The priestess of Kadoma replies, "Your donations were beyond generous, and properly invested should be able to fund all the orphanages and homeless shelters you ordered built in perpetuity."

"Good." You say, "That's good."

No one should have to live on the street. You think with a visceral satisfaction.

"If I may inquire, Madam, what do you plan to do now."

… huh

You rub the back of your head through your cloak in embarrassment.

"I haven't actually thought that far ahead. I kinda spent all my money on this."

The priestess turns to look at you in open astonishment.

You back up defensively, "I mean, not everything, I kept some back for food."

Her eyes soften, "Know that you will always be welcome among the Chuch of Kadoma, Madam Lucy."

You look away, "Are you sure you want someone as dangerous as me around?"

She puts a comforting hand on your shoulder. "You are not one of the faithful, it is true. Yet there are few who would spend themselves into poverty to help the unfortunate, you walk her path. That makes you one of us."

You just shake your head, "Thanks, but..." You shake your head. "Anyway, I leave these places in Kadoma's hands. If you lot are anything like Vondal, you'll do better keeping people off the street than I would."

You bow to each other, and part ways.

A few hours later you find yourself in an eatery, contemplating. What do you do now? All you have to your name at the moment is the clothes on your back, which you took from the Dragon's Hoard, about 100 gold, and the title of Dragonslayer.

You were on the street stealing and sometimes selling yourself to survive before you signed on for Kursk's insane gambit to save the country. You really don't want to go back to that. But while a hundred gold is more than you had seen at once in your life before a year ago, it won't last forever.

You suppose you could go seek out more dragons to kill, but you don't like your odds alone, and the only one you actually know the location of is Empress Xerxephon. Which… that would be a lot of people to kill just to get to her.

Maybe your friends might have some ideas?

Kursk re-joined the military after you killed the dragon. You aren't sure if you want to join the military, but Kursk is different. You already followed him against a dragon, and if he asked you to follow him in an assault on Baator, you don't think you'd decline. Then again, he did say you'd make a terrible soldier a couple of times, so maybe he'd have other ideas?

James is more like you. He was a thief, where you were homeless, but both of you were part of the underbelly of the city. You know he got religion during your quest, but he's kept pretty mum about it. You doubt it's one of the bad ones though. He's just embarrassed because he went from "You have to look out for yourself because no one else will" to "We have to look out for each other. Other people are the greatest strength we have".

Vondal Loderr, on the other hand, is a priest. You hear he's been moving up in the hierarchy, which makes sense since he can manifest miracles from Pono basically on demand. He's the one that taught you how to read and write. You trust him completely, having actually brought you back from the dead once.

Finishing your meal you decide…

[] To go to Kursk for advice
[] To go to James for advice
[] To go to Vondal for advice

anyway, this is a mostly homebrew setting, so feel free to ask questions about the place and I'll answer to the best of Lucy's abilities.

How literal is the dragon refered to in the OP and are they all evil/in need of killing?

Empress Xerxephon is the local hegemon. During the age of great iron age empires hers was in control of the territory you now hail from. That empire was shattered during the Second Incursion of Baator a thousand years ago, but she managed to hold onto her capital city and slowly regrown over the last thousand years. Her empire seems to be doing solidly and she's started doing some expansionism, although not as aggressively as the first time around. She invented cash and the cash nexus explicitly for the purpose of paying soldiers to capture land and people so that the people could be enslaved to dig up metals to turn into cash to pay more soldiers to capture more land and people to do it again but bigger. Her horde is the accumulated wealth of 2000 years of exploitation, slavery, and empire.

She's a blue dragon if that matters.

Her beign a BLue Dragon (my favourite kind) will make me *slightly* sad when we get round to mounting her head on a pike as a warnign to tyrant's everywhere XD

on a personal level she is affable and charismatic, and she treats her subordinates well so long as they remain loyal. But she also created a system, and that system is responsible for a lot of misery.

i'm sorry, but my muse appears to have shrived up and died in a fit of depression.

I don't know if I'll have the werewithal to update this.

sorry

[x] To go to Kursk for advice

In case your muse recovers

Back