Adventures on the Frontier (IC Thread)

Van - Barbaric Bandit
Arriving back at the Guild, they are let in by a happy looking Bramble. "You're alive! Good! Not that I was expecting you to die, but, y'know, accidents happen all the time in this line of business. Who knows when a party will run across a Stampede?" She shakes her head, ears jiggling.
Van is quick to bite back on the unneeded worries of Bramble. "If we came across a Stampede, you'd have heard us running and Tess screaming."

Tess does have the most active voice in the group after all.
"Hey, they're back!"

Waiting for them at the counter of the bar is a noticeably grumpier looking Tabran. Judging by the fact that the stack of papers in front of him has increased he might have good cause to be angry. The old man shoves a pile away and sighs. "So you're alive. Good. Then you're officially recognized by the Woodside Guild Branch. Congratulations."

Before there can be any celebrations, however, he places several sheaves of forms in front of them. "Now for the most important part of the business. Paperwork. Fill them out." He gives a sardonic grin, clearly enjoying your pain.
Tabran watched as Van silently took one look at the paperwork, and shuffled a few of the forms out for himself to fill before just as quickly ending up handing them in and making his exit to find a place to store loot and his flower.

One look at his work would immediately see the epitome of 'I know how to do the work, but you sure as hell aint getting my best' in writing form.
Not terrible work, but actively doesn't bother to try.

Needless to say, it's enough to give him a headstart in running from Tabran/work right now.

Heith - Scholar of the World
Arriving back at the Guild, they are let in by a happy looking Bramble. "You're alive! Good! Not that I was expecting you to die, but, y'know, accidents happen all the time in this line of business. Who knows when a party will run across a Stampede?" She shakes her head, ears jiggling. "Hey, they're back!"
As he walked inside the guild hall seeing and hearing the happy expression of Bramble Heith gave her a soft smile of his own, "Thank you for your concern Madam Bramble" He said truly meaning that it was nice to have people concerned and thinking about others in this line of business given how the casualty rates could be at times as Hei on his large hat gave a flutter of her own toward Bramble.
Waiting for them at the counter of the bar is a noticeably grumpier looking Tabran. Judging by the fact that the stack of papers in front of him has increased he might have good cause to be angry. The old man shoves a pile away and sighs. "So you're alive. Good. Then you're officially recognized by the Woodside Guild Branch. Congratulations."

Before there can be any celebrations, however, he places several sheaves of forms in front of them. "Now for the most important part of the business. Paperwork. Fill them out." He gives a sardonic grin, clearly enjoying your pain.
Accepting his own sheet of paperwork Heith gave Tarban a nod before heading to a nearby table to tackle the paperwork, while he may be skilled in work such as this there was a reason he was risking life and limb as apposed to being hold up in a lab somewhere and paperwork was certainly a good portion of why.

Arriving back at the Guild, they are let in by a happy looking Bramble. "You're alive! Good! Not that I was expecting you to die, but, y'know, accidents happen all the time in this line of business. Who knows when a party will run across a Stampede?"
Van is quick to bite back on the unneeded worries of Bramble. "If we came across a Stampede, you'd have heard us running and Tess screaming."
Yska confidently strides in after Bramble, calling back cheerfully, "Nonsense. We would've handled it somehow. Granted, I think there would've still been a lot of running and screaming from everyone. But we would've been victorious in the end."

Yska gives Tabran an expression akin to a puppy being kicked as she slowly takes the sheets of paper from the older man. "Old man, I thought occasions like this meant rewards and celebrations. So why are you punishing us?"

Wandering off to a corner, Yska focuses furiously on her sheet of paper, the tip of her tongue portruding slightly from the corner of her mouth as she tries concentrating on writing as neatly and legibly as she could. And undoubtedly failing.

She hands back her sheet to Tabran, with large and uneven letters scrawled onto the parchment, her head hanging slightly in emabrassment.

Seeing the party hefting monster parts and wearing the spoils of war, several let out cheers. The monster hunters get a warm welcome as they pass back into the town and finally through the gates.
Tess beams and waves back to each passing witness as they return to the city. Any day he didn't end up lost was a good day. Having insisted they mark landmarks and make notes of the site of their first victory together, the boy makes tallies of the logistics and economics of developing th-
Arriving back at the Guild, they are let in by a happy looking Bramble. "You're alive! Good! Not that I was expecting you to die, but, y'know, accidents happen all the time in this line of business. Who knows when a party will run across a Stampede?" She shakes her head, ears jiggling.
Bramble! Bramble was worried for them!
"Thank you for your concern Madam Bramble"
Bramble was happy they were alive!
Well, it was her job and all, and he wasn't one of those freaks who thought people loved him just because they were obligated to be polite-
"Nonsense. We would've handled it somehow. Granted, I think there would've still been a lot of running and screaming from everyone. But we would've been victorious in the end."
But still! Tess tears his eyes from Bramble's ears, red faced. He'd heard nothing of the others past what felt like steam from his ears. He follows them as they enter the guild, grinning stupidly all the while. Airheaded as he was, he'd commit her words to memory! Burn them in! "Hahh!"
"Oh boy!" Having somewhat recovered, the boy takes the sheaf of papers gratefully as the team scattered to attend to their own, kneeling down to use the seat of a chair. Between every 'subtle', wayward glance to their Handler, the paperwork is almost an afterthought. They watch as he writes 'N/A' for things that really shouldn't be non applicable, crosses out what probably isn't possible to, and leaves one section entirely pictograms.

Last edited:
Lawu accepts her chunk of the paperwork and moves to complete it, studiously ignoring Tess's emotional rubber banding.

One look at his work would immediately see the epitome of 'I know how to do the work, but you sure as hell aint getting my best' in writing form. Not terrible work, but actively doesn't bother to try.

Needless to say, it's enough to give him a headstart in running from Tabran/work right now.

Unfortunately for Van, the distracted Guild Officer has one ace up his sleeve. A nosy assistant. Bramble is already waiting for the man at the door, calmly smiling at him in a way that suggests 'you don't get to leave so soon or so help me Gods.' Or she's just happy to see him. It's honestly hard to tell.

As he walked inside the guild hall seeing and hearing the happy expression of Bramble Heith gave her a soft smile of his own, "Thank you for your concern Madam Bramble" He said truly meaning that it was nice to have people concerned and thinking about others in this line of business given how the casualty rates could be at times as Hei on his large hat gave a flutter of her own toward Bramble.

"Of course," Bramble replies. "Gotta keep an eye out for my fellow guild-members."

Yska gives Tabran an expression akin to a puppy being kicked as she slowly takes the sheets of paper from the older man. "Old man, I thought occasions like this meant rewards and celebrations. So why are you punishing us?"

"Quit your whining, adventurer." Tabran replies with a wry grin. "Besides, you are getting a reward. Once your finish your paperwork." As she hands in her own forms, he gives a nod. "And perhaps one of these days Bramble could give you extra lessons."

"Oh boy!" Having somewhat recovered, the boy takes the sheaf of papers gratefully as the team scattered to attend to their own, kneeling down to use the seat of a chair. Between every 'subtle', wayward glance to their Handler, the paperwork is almost an afterthought. They watch as he writes 'N/A' for things that really shouldn't be non applicable, crosses out what probably isn't possible to, and leaves one section entirely pictograms.

Somehow either ignorant of Tess's involuntary admiration or choosing to ignore it, Bramble gives the young man a nod as he hands in his paperwork. "Great job out there! Keep it up." This will no doubt kill the poor fellow, but he will die a happy man.

Lawu accepts her chunk of the paperwork and moves to complete it, studiously ignoring Tess's emotional rubber banding.

Once the last of the people here are done with their work, the Guild Officer clears his throat. "Alright. Now that that's over, you can enjoy the rest of your night." He reaches under the desk and pulls forth five large pouches. "And you've earned your reward. Here. A good bit of gold, with a bit extra so you can all spend the night celebrating at a tavern or what have you."

[The party has each received one Medium Fortune Object!]

Tabran nods after handing over each pouch. "Right, then. Get out there. I reccomend the Blundering Badger. Nice place. Don't drink too heavily, because you've all got to be up tomorrow for more work."

Bramble gives a sheepish smile, "I'd join you all, but I've still got work to do. Have a good time!"

Van - Barbaric Bandit
Unfortunately for Van, the distracted Guild Officer has one ace up his sleeve. A nosy assistant. Bramble is already waiting for the man at the door, calmly smiling at him in a way that suggests 'you don't get to leave so soon or so help me Gods.' Or she's just happy to see him. It's honestly hard to tell.
[Van tries to run away! Locomotion DC 30 = 19 FAILURE]
And in spite of his efforts, it seems that gods are helping Bramble as his attempts to escape from work end up in failure.

While she may opt for a calm response to the boy's dodging of work, Van doesn't choose the same, as Bramble hears him audibly 'tsk' before going back to 'do the work' (It's still not his best, but at least he's done it. Sketchy due to little details, but it's on the paper).

Once he's done so and gotten his payment, he's almost immediately off to store loot and get wasted. No point in dawdling around here for anything else. Not unless the gang intends to go out again which...looking at Lawu, that's not a real option.

Speaking of loot, however, Van doesn't forget to grab what things he had to lend to others for carrying back before he makes his way out.

"Quit your whining, adventurer." Tabran replies with a wry grin. "Besides, you are getting a reward. Once your finish your paperwork." As she hands in her own forms, he gives a nod. "And perhaps one of these days Bramble could give you extra lessons."
Happy to see Van.. Extra lessons for Yska? So generous! Tess considers what excuse he might apply to join them.
Somehow either ignorant of Tess's involuntary admiration or choosing to ignore it, Bramble gives the young man a nod as he hands in his paperwork. "Great job out there! Keep it up." This will no doubt kill the poor fellow, but he will die a happy man.
It will, and he does. But Tess is Tess. His heart returns to life one, two, three beats after it stops, hammering away as he dopily smiles back. "..!"

Tabran nods after handing over each pouch. "Right, then. Get out there. I reccomend the Blundering Badger. Nice place. Don't drink too heavily, because you've all got to be up tomorrow for more work."
There's something odd in his eyes at the warning of drinking too heavily, but the moment passes. He smiles abashedly, furtively, unknowingly.

"Yessir, Mr. Tabran honcho boss sir!" The boy clicks his heels together and offers the man another open palmed salute. The Blundering Badger would be the perfect place to introduce themselves to the locals and get to know their new home! And, er, maybe he could even ask Bramble if-
Bramble gives a sheepish smile, "I'd join you all, but I've still got work to do. Have a good time!"
..Well, it was a long shot anyways. "M-Maybe another time, Ms. Bramble!" He seems to try and say, communicating in an odd mash of squeaks, stuttering, and the sound of trampling grapes. Bowing to her, Tess chases after Van in presumable search of the Badger to avoid getting lost.

Last edited:

Accepting his sack of coins Heith peered inside the gold shining off his eyes as he grinned before tucking the pouch away. "Thank you Sir Tabran," he said with a nod before turning to leave,
Stopping for a moment Heith looked at Bramble a far-off expression in his gaze as he hesitated before a small smile broke out on his face. "If you do need help with something feel free to ask me and I'll do what I can," and for a moment the older man is showing every one of his years before he stands back up tall. "Have a good night Madam Bramble," and with that, he is off following in the wake of Van and Tess towards the Blundering Badger

"Maybe..." Yska looks doubtfully at him. "Not sure if it'd do any good though. All that malarky with the shapes and dots tends to go in one ear and out the other with me." She thinks before brightening up somewhat. "I'm better with numbers though."
Happy to see Van.. Extra lessons for Yska? So generous! Tess considers what excuse he might apply to join them.
She catches Tess' eyes, as he furrows his brow, apparently deep in thought. Yska's eyes widen as as sudden revelation strikes her. "Oh! Why don't Bramble and Tess try teaching me together? I've only ever had one teacher, maybe having more would help the lessons stick in my head better?"
He reaches under the desk and pulls forth five large pouches. "And you've earned your reward. Here. A good bit of gold, with a bit extra so you can all spend the night celebrating at a tavern or what have you."
Yska cheerfully collects her portion of the reward. "Cheers, old man! And hopefully we'll have many more celebrations to come!"

Speaking of loot, however, Van doesn't forget to grab what things he had to lend to others for carrying back before he makes his way out.
..Well, it was a long shot anyways. "M-Maybe another time, Ms. Bramble!" He seems to try and say, communicating in an odd mash of squeaks, stuttering, and the sound of trampling grapes. Bowing to her, Tess chases after Van in presumable search of the Badger to avoid getting lost.
"O-oi! You two! Wait up! Days like these need to be celebrated as a group." Yska hurries after the two of them as they go off in search for this so-called Badger Bar.

Back