A Song of Sovngarde (Skyrim/ASOIAF)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Summary: Old Vjorn, the Dovahkiin and Lord of Sovngarde, has died, leaving his granddaughter...
Index

Cxjenious

The Young Lion
Summary: Old Vjorn, the Dovahkiin and Lord of Sovngarde, has died, leaving his granddaughter, the young and untested Hilda Ysmir, to rule over the Nords. Her distant cousin, Thorunn Jorrvaskr, commander of the greatest army in Essos, has betrayed King Robert, the ruler of Westeros, by wedding Daenerys Targaryen, sister to Viserys Targaryen, who is the rightful heir of Westeros. By doing so, Thorunn has put her people in grave jeopardy, for the king hates nothing more than the spawn of Aerys Targaryen. To save her people, Hilda must play the game of thrones, and she must win.

A Song of Sovngarde
Hilda I

/~/~/

Last edited:
It's a strong start to a story. It looks like you managed to insert the Nords pretty well into the Westeros. I also like the fact that you didn't make the Nords just replace the Starks like other stories I have seen. The only thing I would worry about is that Skyrim magic could ruin the setting by being overpowered.

I wouldn't even mind just removing most of the magic, or making it much more difficult to use.

Because yea that is an OCP. Granted Westeros apparently had 2 centuries to adapt, but still

Anyway, you have my attention!

It's a strong start to a story. It looks like you managed to insert the Nords pretty well into the Westeros. I also like the fact that you didn't make the Nords just replace the Starks like other stories I have seen. The only thing I would worry about is that Skyrim magic could ruin the setting by being overpowered.

Magic is weaker, to a point, and has manifested in only a few individuals, and in subtly different ways than you might be familiar with. (Like the ring of Namira, which prolongs life and youth/heals wounds so long as its possessor eats people). Also, unlike the game, learning and using magic/the thu'um takes years. (Also, all Nords speak the dragon language)

Likewise, Planetos magic is stronger, though no less disdained and mistrusted, and some gods have greater dominion over reality (in the same vein as canon R'hllor).

Last edited:
You're selling them short, I think. The Nords have a very long reach, and very big hands.

Then, could you explain then how the Nords came to be in this ASOIAF setting.

- Are TES: Skyrim and ASOAIF setting intertwined inyour crossover story? If so, by how much? Are Tamriel, Westeros and Essos feature in your crossover world?

- Are the Nords the only ones ISOTed into the ASOIAF setting? If so, how has the presence of the Nords as well as culture, religion, way of life, their magic, the concept of the Dovahkiin, etc. have affected/impacted on the natives of Westeros, especially the First Men (including the Freefolk/Wildlings and the Mountain Clans of the Vale), the Andals, and the Rhoynar (and even the Valyrians such as House Targaryen, House Celtigar, House Velaryon, etc.) and their respective cultures, histories, religions, the Faith of the Seven, the Maesters, etc. - and vice-versa? How has the presence of the Nords have affected/impacted Essos and the rest of the Known World such as the Free Cities, the Iron Bank, Qarth, the Faceless men, and the Sorrowful Men, Asshai, Rh'llor, the Summer Islands, slavery (especially the Ghiscari cities of Slavers' Bay), etc. and vice-versa?

Essentially, I want an overview of your crossoverworld. Please let me know. Thank you.

Then, could you explain then how the Nords came to be in this ASOIAF setting.

- Are TES: Skyrim and ASOAIF setting intertwined inyour crossover story? If so, by how much? Are Tamriel, Westeros and Essos feature in your crossover world?

- Are the Nords the only ones ISOTed into the ASOIAF setting? If so, how has the presence of the Nords as well as culture, religion, way of life, their magic, the concept of the Dovahkiin, etc. have affected/impacted on the natives of Westeros, especially the First Men (including the Freefolk/Wildlings and the Mountain Clans of the Vale), the Andals, and the Rhoynar (and even the Valyrians such as House Targaryen, House Celtigar, House Velaryon, etc.) and their respective cultures, histories, religions, the Faith of the Seven, the Maesters, etc. - and vice-versa? How has the presence of the Nords have affected/impacted Essos and the rest of the Known World such as the Free Cities, the Iron Bank, Qarth, the Faceless men, and the Sorrowful Men, Asshai, Rh'llor, the Summer Islands, slavery (especially the Ghiscari cities of Slavers' Bay), etc. and vice-versa?

Essentially, I want an overview of your crossoverworld. Please let me know. Thank you.

1. Yes, they are intertwined, to a degree. Tamriel, however, is dead. The Last Dragonborn lost to Alduin.

2. Only Nords managed to cross the Sunset Sea, in vast, magical ships gifted to them by their gods. Or so the story goes; several generations of Nords knew only the sea, and none of them were privy to the workings of the gods that allowed them to sail from Skyrim to Westeros. They arrived in Westeros around 87 AL. There are around 400,000-600,000 of them.

Nordic culture isn't all that different from the rest of Westeros, for the most part. Everyone learns to fight, and almost everyone learns to sail, like a mix of Ironborn and Knights. Blacksmiths enjoy a greater status in Nordic culture, however, and one particular noble family are all blacksmiths. Women also enjoy improved status when compared to the rest of Westeros, able to inherit, fight, etc.)

The Freefolk have different relationships with different Nords. Wulfgar Stormcloak, the Lord of New Windhelm can't stand them, but one of his predecessors managed to subjugate all the Mountain Clans of the northern mountains, where New Windhelm was built. Some Nords, who particularly enjoy freezing weather, range across the far north regularly, and are good friends with some of the Freefolk. Others, like House Dawnstar, go beyond the wall to kill White Walkers/Draugr.

They haven't changed the culture though, not really. Some Freefolk raid less than they might have, some don't raid at all, and others raid every chance they get. Others still were smuggled south to live amongst the Nords in their cities and towns, mostly women who were stolen by Nords who thought Wildling customs resonated with Stuhn, god of spoils and ransom.

(On the subject of cities, I'll have to go back and redo the description of Sovngarde, because it's both a city and a castle and I don't think the description portrays just how massive it is behind its walls.)

The Faith thinks the Nords weird, but as the Nords also have seven gods, they get along much better with them than traditional, old gods worshipping Northmen. In fact, to the rest of Westeros, that's all they are. Northmen.

The Vale mountain clans don't have much interaction with the Nords, save for the blood drinkers, whom they fear to the point that they have become nocturnal, to better watch out for the demons in the dark.

The majority of Planetos knows nothing about Nord magic, or the dovahkiin, etc, though there are rumors. (Take Hilda, for example. She is essentially their queen, but as far as Westeros knows, Wulfric is the Lord of Sovngarde). Even some Nords don't know anything about magic. To most of the world, they are just freakishly tall Northmen who allow their women to fight, and who love the sea and the snow. The Nords have their own maesters, of a sort, and the Citadel hates them for it.

The Faceless Men sometimes pray to a carving of Sithis, and have an... "amicable" relationship with the Black Hand/Dark Brotherhood.

Thorunn's sellsword company was the bane of Dothraki, had been since it was founded around 110-120 AL, and were nearly universally beloved by the Free Cities/Slaver's Bay because of it, until they started demanding tribute like what was paid to the Dothraki. The Dothraki are perhaps the only people who have witnessed the Thu'um. The Essosi Nords and the Golden Company are most often pitted against one another.

The Nords don't care for buying slaves, but if, say, Thorfinn were to capture a slave ship, he would keep the slaves as spoils. As well as everything else, to be parceled out amongst his crew.

The Nords who are sworn to Dibella love the Summer Islands, and in that way, there are many half-Nords/Nordic descendants throughout Planetos, especially where there are pleasure houses.

That's all I'm willing to share, I think. Anything else you'll have to discover through the story.

Last edited:
Magic is weaker, to a point, and has manifested in only a few individuals, and in subtly different ways than you might be familiar with. (Like the ring of Namira, which prolongs life and youth/heals wounds so long as its possessor eats people). Also, unlike the game, learning

It sounds like you put a lot of thought into how to combine the two worlds which is a good thing. To many authors forget that and just want to put person x into setting a and forget how overpowered they are in a new world. It also sounds like you have a well planed background for how the Nords came to and fit into Westeros.

(On the subject of cities, I'll have to go back and redo the description of Sovngarde, because it's both a city and a castle and I don't think the description portrays just how massive it is behind its walls.).

I just read that part again and it sounds like a massive castle built on a hill. Maybe talk about the streets and views before she reaches the inner keep once they pass the gate. I would suggest calling it a Citadel but it has a different meaning in Westeros. Maybe compare it to to Highgarden which is more of a fortress city the Winterfell

That's all I'm willing to share, I think. Anything else you'll have to discover through the story.

That just means you have to post more story, right:)

That's a very interesting overview of your crossoverworld. A few more questions. What is the relationship(s) between the different Nord noble houses and those noble houses of the North (especially House Stark, House Manderly, House Umber, House Karstark, House Reed, House Bolton, House Mormont, etc.)? How do rest of the North (both highborn and lowborn) view their Nord neighbors and vice-versa? What is the relationship(s) between the Nords and the Ironborn? Is it antagonistic or competitive one upmanship or something else? What is the relationship between the Nords and the Night Watch? Do the Nords voluntarily serve alongside the Night Watch at the Wall for a certain number of years (i.e. a form of military service), and that this idea spreads favorably throughout the rest of the North? How do the Nords view the Night Watch as an organization, especially its initial noble beginnings/origins to the latter view of it becoming a dumping ground for undesirables? How has the presence of the Nords impacted/affected the North? Have the Nords encountered Westerosi Giants, Westerosi Dragons, Children of the Forest, the White Walkers and their Wight servitors, etc.? If so, what do the Nords think of these supernatural/magical/mythical races and vice-versa? Did any of the Greybeards and the College of Magic manage to survive by joining the Nord migration to Westeros and thrive in Westeros?

Please let me know. Thank you. :):):)

Last edited:
That's a very interesting overview of your crossoverworld. A few more questions. What is the relationship(s) between the different Nord noble houses and those noble houses of the North (especially House Stark, House Manderly, House Umber, House Karstark, House Reed, House Bolton, House Mormont, etc.)? How do rest of the North (both highborn and lowborn) view their Nord neighbors and vice-versa? What is the relationship(s) between the Nords and the Ironborn? Is it antagonistic or competitive one upmanship or something else? What is the relationship between the Nords and the Night Watch? Do the Nords voluntarily serve alongside the Night Watch at the Wall for a certain number of years (i.e. a form of military service), and that this idea spreads favorably throughout the rest of the North? How do the Nords view the Night Watch as an organization, especially its initial noble beginnings/origins to the latter view of it becoming a dumping ground for undesirables? How has the presence of the Nords impacted/affected the North? Have the Nords encountered Westerosi Giants, Westerosi Dragons, Children of the Forest, the White Walkers and their Wight servitors, etc.? If so, what do the Nords think of these supernatural/magical/mythical races and vice-versa? Did any of the Greybeards and the College of Magic manage to survive by joining the Nord migration to Westeros and thrive in Westeros?

1. Houses Stark, Umber, Bolton, Forrester, Ryswell, Mormont, Glover, Manderly and Karstark have at various points in the past two hundred odd years married into some of the Nordic Houses.

2. Most of the Northmen think them odd for letting their women fight, but they respect their martial prowess, and greatly enjoy the vast food stores their traders bring back from Essos during winter. The Nords think everyone else odd for not allowing their women to fight, save the Mormonts.

3. Balon hates them and respects them in equal measures, due to what he feels was a betrayal during his rebellion, but Victarion's second wife is from House Blackbriar (Descendants of Maven of Riften), and Euron has been in love with Aenora Darkbrother (Leader of the Black Hand) since he was a boy.

4. All of the above. Some of the Ironborn go raiding alongside Nord ships. Asha in particular has raided with Thorfinn half a dozen times, and a few Darkbrothers joined Euron when he was exiled.

5.The Nords are friends of the Night's Watch, but no Nord would ever agree to their vows.

6. The Nords who farm the Gift assist the Night's Watch in defending the Wall when necessary.

7. The Nords think whatever purpose the Watch once served has been bastardized. They don't really care that the wall is a dumping ground for criminals.

8. The North is more prosperous, more powerful, and less people starve during the Winter.

9. Yes to all of the above.

10. They despise dragons and respect the giants. Only House Glenmoril has had any real contact with the Children of the Forest. The ranger/adventurer Nords who venture beyond the Wall actively seek out White Walkers/Wights to kill.

11. Not exactly. The Greybeards died during the trip, but their teachings lived on. Hilda's advisor is a follower of the Way. Likewise, most Nords can't use magic; the college survived, after a fashion, through House Glenmoril's witches.

Thanks. :)

Once again, I have a few more questions to satisfy my curiosity, and they are:

- Which Nord noble houses would have relations with the infamous House Bolton, and why?

- I see you didn't mention any relation(s) between House Reed and the Nord noble houses. Why? Are the Nords uncomfortable with the swamps that House Reed and other Crannogmen houses make their home in? Or are the Nords uncomfortable with House Reed and other Crannogmen because of the latter's stealthiness and skill in the swamps (including their use of poisons and paralytics)?

- What is the relationship(s) like between the Nord noble houses and that of the Northern mountain clans such as House Flint, House Norrey, etc?

- Since the Nords came to the North from the west (of the Sunset Sea) are there significant Nord settlements along Sea Dragon Point and Stony Shore?

- Since some Nord noble houses have settled in the Lands Beyond The Wall such as New Windhelm by House Stormcloak does that mean there are significant Nord (and even Northern) settlements in the lands Beyond The Wall such as in Hardhomme and in the lands of the Freefolk Thenn/House Thenn?

- I'm guessing that none of the Nord noble houses want anything to do with any Freefolk tribes that are cannibals, and that the former would go out of their way to exterminate such Freefolk/Wildling tribes?

- With the presence of the Nords in the North does this mean that the Westerosi Giants and their Mammoth herds have a strong presence in the North?

- Since there has been several generations of intermarriages between the Nord nobble houses and the noble houses of the North - does this mean that there is a chance that there is a significant number of Nords that are Wargs or even Greenseers - with House Glemoril producing many Wargs and Greenseers among the Nord noble houses? If so, how do Nords (as a people) and as noble houses regard the presence of Wargs and Greenseers among them and/or among the Northmen and Freefolk?

- Do the Nords have any significant settlements on the island of Skane and in the neighboring island of Skagos? What is the relationship(s) between the Nords and the Skagosi, especially since the latter (in the past were hostile cannibals that practice blood and human sacrifice)? Is it sullen acceptance (on the part of the Skagosi) or something else? Where the Nords instrumental in helping the North in subjugating the unruly Skagosi and helping to outlaw/ban cannibalism and human sacrifice in that island? What do the Nords think of the Skagos Unicorns and the fact that the Skagosi can tame such animals?

- What sorts of relationships do the Nords have with the Ibbenese? Is there a brisk trade between going on them for ivory walrus tusks, ambergris and meat/oil/blubber from whales), etc. as well as having a close cooperation between the two peoples when hunting whales (i.e. whaling)? Are there significant numbers of Ibbenese residing within Nord settlements as well as in Northern and Freefok settlements?

- Where there any Lycanthropes (especially Werewolves and Werebears) among the Nords who ended up migrating to the North? If so, are there any chances of House Mormont having Werebear blood and abilities in the Mormont bloodline, or for that matter, members of House Stark having Werewolf blood/abilities in the Stark bloodline - for several generations and still counting? I would imagine someone from House Stark who is a werewolf and who is also a warg and possibly even a greenseer is very potent combination; same with someone from House Mormont who is a werebear and is a warg and possibly even a greenseer?

- Lastly, with the presence of the Nords in the North I imagine that Moat Cailin has constantly been repaired, refurbished and further fortified over the generations? Have the Nords made themselves a deadly nuisance to House Frey of the Twins, especially with the Nords' constant raids on the Twins and on Frey lands and the lands of their bannermen?

Last edited:
Redid the description of Sovngarde:

/~/~/
Hilda said nothing to that, and instead turned away to start the long, familiar trek back to Sovngarde. The trail sprouted up out of the shrubbery that covered the forest floor, twisting for several miles through the undergrowth to the castle-city, that had been erected atop the ruins of the ancient strongholds of the First Men, built around a weirwood circle on a high hill. Maela shifted back to her wolf form and followed behind her, padding silently through the undergrowth. Hilda heard the other wolves return, heard their yips and snarls, but she never saw them, equally irked and touched by their devotion.

The forest ended abruptly, flattening out into a strand of near barren, boggy grasslands. Beyond the wetlands, massive walls of slate grey stone as tall as old spruce trees rose out of the earth and stretched to the coasts to dominate almost the entire tip of the peninsula, branching out from the towering barbican, with its turreted corners and dragon's head crenellations; behind the stout structure was the city, whose tallest towers seemed as if to disappear into the heavens, standing proudly above a second wall that was even taller than the first, crested in black iron, black dragon banners flying high above the conical spires, roiling in the wind. The portcullis, so wide that fifty horseman abreast could ride comfortably through it, was wrought from latticed steel, and a monstrous moat had been dug around both the outer and inner city walls, each moat several dozen feet deep and wide. Hilda saw otters swimming in the outer moat as she crossed the long bridge into the barbican, knifing through the dark waters.

Sovngarde, she had heard spoken, was the grandest castle in all of the north, comparable in size to the ruined Harrenhal, some whispered, for the great builders who had sculpted the castle had put their souls into the stone and made it living, to be shaped and structured as easily as clay, and giants and mammoths had set the living stone, stacked its monstrous walls and dizzying towers.

The soldiers at the gate all bowed as she entered, giving blessings, condolences, and one of them asked if she might see fit to take a message to his dead kinsmen.

"Write down your message," she told him, and all the rest who might have been afraid to ask, "and the name of who you wish to receive it, and leave it for me at the temple."

/~/~/​

Thanks. :)

Once again, I have a few more questions to satisfy my curiosity, and they are:

- Which Nord noble houses would have relations with the infamous House Bolton, and why?

- I see you didn't mention any relation(s) between House Reed and the Nord noble houses. Why? Are the Nords uncomfortable with the swamps that House Reed and other Crannogmen houses make their home in? Or are the Nords uncomfortable with House Reed and other Crannogmen because of the latter's stealthiness and skill in the swamps (including their use of poisons and paralytics)?

- What is the relationship(s) like between the Nord noble houses and that of the Northern mountain clans such as House Flint, House Norrey, etc?

- Since the Nords came to the North from the west (of the Sunset Sea) are there significant Nord settlements along Sea Dragon Point and Stony Shore?

- Since some Nord noble houses have settled in the Lands Beyond The Wall such as New Windhelm by House Stormcloak does that mean there are significant Nord (and even Northern) settlements in the lands Beyond The Wall such as in Hardhomme and in the lands of the Freefolk Thenn/House Thenn?

- I'm guessing that none of the Nord noble houses want anything to do with any Freefolk tribes that are cannibals, and that the former would go out of their way to exterminate such Freefolk/Wildling tribes?

- With the presence of the Nords in the North does this mean that the Westerosi Giants and their Mammoth herds have a strong presence in the North?

- Since there has been several generations of intermarriages between the Nord nobble houses and the noble houses of the North - does this mean that there is a chance that there is a significant number of Nords that are Wargs or even Greenseers - with House Glemoril producing many Wargs and Greenseers among the Nord noble houses? If so, how do Nords (as a people) and as noble houses regard the presence of Wargs and Greenseers among them and/or among the Northmen and Freefolk?

- Do the Nords have any significant settlements on the island of Skane and in the neighboring island of Skagos? What is the relationship(s) between the Nords and the Skagosi, especially since the latter (in the past were hostile cannibals that practice blood and human sacrifice)? Is it sullen acceptance (on the part of the Skagosi) or something else? Where the Nords instrumental in helping the North in subjugating the unruly Skagosi and helping to outlaw/ban cannibalism and human sacrifice in that island? What do the Nords think of the Skagos Unicorns and the fact that the Skagosi can tame such animals?

- What sorts of relationships do the Nords have with the Ibbenese? Is there a brisk trade between going on them for ivory walrus tusks, ambergris and meat/oil/blubber from whales), etc. as well as having a close cooperation between the two peoples when hunting whales (i.e. whaling)? Are there significant numbers of Ibbenese residing within Nord settlements as well as in Northern and Freefok settlements?

- Where there any Lycanthropes (especially Werewolves and Werebears) among the Nords who ended up migrating to the North? If so, are there any chances of House Mormont having Werebear blood and abilities in the Mormont bloodline, or for that matter, members of House Stark having Werewolf blood/abilities in the Stark bloodline - for several generations and still counting? I would imagine someone from House Stark who is a werewolf and who is also a warg and possibly even a greenseer is very potent combination; same with someone from House Mormont who is a werebear and is a warg and possibly even a greenseer?

- Lastly, with the presence of the Nords in the North I imagine that Moat Cailin has constantly been repaired, refurbished and further fortified over the generations? Have the Nords made themselves a deadly nuisance to House Frey of the Twins, especially with the Nords' constant raids on the Twins and on Frey lands and the lands of their bannermen?

1. House Darkbrother, on account of them being assassins who worship Sithis.

2. They just haven't married into the Reeds. Not for any of the reasons you've mentioned, but because the Crannogmen are as freakishly short as Nords are freakishly tall, and no Nord wants to curse his or her children with such extreme shortness. The average Nord woman is 6'. The average Nord male is around 6'4-6'5. That's not to say they dislike the Crannogmen, but they as a whole, they aren't particularly fond of them; a few Nordic rangers have lived amongst them and learned the swamps, in exchange for Nordic spears, poisons, etc.

3. The mountain clans and the Nords are pretty much one, now. Many years ago, (During the reign of Beron Stark) the Lord of Windhelm challenged and defeated all the mountain clan chieftans, and spread his own people amongst them. He cemented his rule by marrying various sons, daughters, and cousins into the more principal mountain clans, as well as taking a Flint for a wife. Beron, didn't care overly much, as this allowed the mountain levies to be gathered more quickly for his war against the Ironborn, and due to the actions of his forefathers, many fosterings between them, and the Nords own honor, he was confident that they would always serve him and his family.

4. Yes. Sea Dragon point belongs to House Ysmir, and their seat, Sovngarde, covers a great deal of the peninsula. The Blackbriars settled the Stony Shore; their city is called Riften, and it's a tradition for firstborn daughters of the House to be named Maven.

5. New Windhelm isn't beyond the Wall. It's in the mountains that stretch beyond the wall (with a port in the Bay of Seals, almost directly west of Bear Island). There aren't any significant Nordic settlements beyond the wall. House Thenn has more amicable relations with the Nords than any other group of Wildlings, and one particular wolf of Jorrvaskr allowed a Magnar to ride him into battle. (There's a song about it)

6. Yes, along with Wights and White Walkers. There aren't very many cannibal Wildlings left, actually.

7. Mammoths do. There are a great many of them that range in massive herds along the western coast of the North. Giants have a small presence, but they keep to the mountains.

8. There are a few Wargs, and fewer Greenseers. You'll find out who they are throughout the story. House Glenmoril only has a monopoly on Nordic/Tamriel magic. Those that know of such things, Wargs and Greenseers, are generally accepting of them. What they despise is using magic to fight (shooting fireballs, lightning, raising the dead, summoning minions, etc.), which even the witches of Glenmoril can't do so well (like Charmed, it takes three witches to do any sort of magic, except for the Hagraven).

9. The Skagosi were brought to heel when they rose up against Barthogan Stark. House Dawnstar, who's seat, the Dawnfort, sits north of Umber lands on the coast of the gift, were instrumental in conquering Skagos. It is now modernized, but there are tales of blood drinkers who haunt its mountains, much like there are tales amongst the Vale mountain clans. Several thousand Nords live there, having migrated there after the war, to settle the now mostly free lands. Houses Magnar, Stane, and Crowl are sworn to Dawnstar, now.

10. The Nords trade with everyone, but yes, they have very good relations with the Ibbenese, but they haven't migrated to Westeros in any great numbers. A few Ibbenese serve on Thorfinn's ship, and he has a standing invitation to be allowed beyond their ports.

11. The people of House Jorrvaskr are all werewolves, and only a few exist outside the family. Werebears aren't quite as centralized, but most of them are from House Stormcloak. Nords are careful not to pass their gifts to the other Northern houses - all marriages between the Houses over the years have involved Nordic men and Northern women, save where second/third sons were involved, which hasn't happened often, and in those cases, the second/third son was adopted into whatever Nord House he had married into, and sworn to secrecy. Rumors abound, however, that Nords mate with wolves and bears, but no one truly believes it. I will say that Alysane Mormont's children were indeed fathered by a bear, though when she first laid with him, he was a man. Tormund, likewise, made love to a bear.

12. Saltspear was made into a proper canal, and so yes, Moat Cailin is a proper castle now. It's held by a cadet branch of the Stark family. The Nords don't raid in Westeros, and as they don't view the Freys as upstarts, they have a relatively amicable relationship. A few young Nordic Lords who venture south are even friendly (sort of) with Lord Walder, and think that he has been blessed by Dibella to sire so many children.

You didn't ask this, but the Nords are extremely wealthy. House Ysmir receives a portion of all spoils of war and plunder, with a lesser share going to Stormcloak, Dawnstar, and Blackbriar, and then the lesser Houses sworn to them. Likewise, the Thieves Guild pay tribute, as well as the Black Hand, who charge nearly as much as the Faceless Men. A great deal of their wealth and trade is geared towards foodstuffs from the Reach/Riverlands/Free Cities, as the North isn't quite fertile enough to supply enough food for all the Nords. That's one of the reasons so many of them went East and South. Almost no one in the North starves during winter because of this, including the other Northern Houses.

Last edited:
The description definitely feels more like a fortress city then the first one. It gives the impression of a huge city instead of one of huge castles that dot the Seven Kingdoms. Any city with Guard Otters will be hard to take indeed.:)

So the Nords own the West coast with a settlement on the east coast by the gift and on Skagos. I can see why they are a power house. It's like a mini-kingdom in the north that answers to the Starks. The changes they brought about with having a strong navy on both coasts and the Moat being a true castle will make any war of conquest almost impossible. The increased trade also means that north is no longer those poor tree worshiping savages more just those crazy northerners. It also should be interesting to see how Hilda uses the Thieves guild and the Black Hand when she heads south.

It should make for some fun times with Hilda and Ned go south. With the increase in power that the Starks vassals I would think that Ned may be a bit better at politics. Maybe see some of the plots around him instead of walking in to every single one.

The description definitely feels more like a fortress city then the first one. It gives the impression of a huge city instead of one of huge castles that dot the Seven Kingdoms. Any city with Guard Otters will be hard to take indeed.:)

So the Nords own the West coast with a settlement on the east coast by the gift and on Skagos. I can see why they are a power house. It's like a mini-kingdom in the north that answers to the Starks. The changes they brought about with having a strong navy on both coasts and the Moat being a true castle will make any war of conquest almost impossible. The increased trade also means that north is no longer those poor tree worshiping savages more just those crazy northerners. It also should be interesting to see how Hilda uses the Thieves guild and the Black Hand when she heads south.

It should make for some fun times with Hilda and Ned go south. With the increase in power that the Starks vassals I would think that Ned may be a bit better at politics. Maybe see some of the plots around him instead of walking in to every single one.

Hilda isn't going south, not with Ned, and not until she has a child to continue her line; the thu'um/ability to reach Sovngarde passes from grandsire to grandchild, and only through the blood of the firstborn. Others will go south for her, or are already there. You'll understand how she could possibly be of any help from thousands of leagues away when you are introduced to Vanora Darkbrother, one of Hilda's handmaidens, who is also burdened with powers she doesn't particularly want.

I'm surprised no one has asked about Wintertown. It's swarming with Nords.

Hilda isn't going south, not with Ned, and not until she has a child to continue her line; the thu'um/ability to reach Sovngarde passes from grandsire to grandchild, and only through the blood of the firstborn. Others will go south for her, or are already there. You'll understand how she could possibly be of any help from thousands of leagues away when you are introduced to Vanora Darkbrother, one of Hilda's handmaidens, who is also burdened with powers she doesn't particularly want.

I'm surprised no one has asked about Wintertown. It's swarming with Nords.

See this is why I need more story, So I don't say stupid things.:whistle:

okay critical question: why the hell was a hagreaven let anywhere near a baby not born of the reachmen let alone a noble? Those things are cannabills and hate nords.

Thanks. :) Lastly, what do the Nords think of the Direwolves (and Shadow Cats for that matter), and most particularly the Direwolf
being the sigil of House Stark? Has House Jorrvaskr made successful attempts at preserving and/or reintroducing Direwolf populations in the North, or if not in the North, then at least in the Lands Beyond The Wall such as the Haunted Forest, and that House Jorrvaskr have always given the Starks Direwolf pets? Please let me know. Thank you. :)

Thanks. :) Lastly, what do the Nords think of the Direwolves (and Shadow Cats for that matter), and most particularly the Direwolf
being the sigil of House Stark? Has House Jorrvaskr made successful attempts at preserving and/or reintroducing Direwolf populations in the North, or if not in the North, then at least in the Lands Beyond The Wall such as the Haunted Forest, and that House Jorrvaskr have always given the Starks Direwolf pets? Please let me know. Thank you. :)

1. The Nords think dire wolves are cute. Shadow cats are even cuter. Various heraldry doesn't concern them, as a whole, as men are not their sigils.

2. No. They hunt enough on their own, they have no desire to introduce another predator to the North. However, Lord Thrain of House Silveren (the Lord Ranger) was once pretty chummy with a pack of dire wolves beyond the Wall.

The Faith thinks the Nords weird, but as the Nords also have seven gods, they get along much better with them than traditional, old gods worshipping Northmen. In fact, to the rest of Westeros, that's all they are. Northmen.
That seems like it'd be unlikely given that the similarities between the Andal faith and Aedra worship are entirely superficial.

Did Daedra worship survive in any meaningful way?

That seems like it'd be unlikely given that the similarities between the Andal faith and Aedra worship are entirely superficial.

Did Daedra worship survive in any meaningful way?

There are more similarities between the Nordic pantheon that I have assembled and the Andal gods than there are between the Old Gods and the Andal gods, leading to a better relationship between the two faiths.

Yes. Werewolves still join Hircine when they die. Nocturnal is still deeply interwoven with the thieves, and Meridia has her chosen.

There are more similarities between the Nordic pantheon that I have assembled and the Andal gods than there are between the Old Gods and the Andal gods, leading to a better relationship between the two faiths.
There are more similarities between Christianity and Islam than these two but they still hate the shit out of each other.

Back