A Soldier Adrift: Captain Westeros (ASoIaF/Captain America Quest, Story Only Thread)

The Battle of Mastford Bridge 4
Wariness and confusion flickered through the front ranks of the Reach soldiers as they watched the man who could only be Lord America approach, alone but for his white horse and his proud banner. Again they waited outside of bowshot, but they could see the Stormland army across the river, the foe waiting but showing no concern that such a formidable knight was so exposed. He came to a stop closer than some men were comfortable with, but most knew better - it was clear that the tales of the defeated at the Battle at Blueburn were exaggerated, no matter the stature of the man. They readied themselves for whatever he could possibly want, spears gripped tight.

Steve inspected the men before him, keeping an easy smile on his face as he read the thoughts and worries and reassurances worn plainly. He said nothing, letting his presence speak for itself as the moments ticked by. Someone coughed, and he could see necks craning to get a look at him from further down the line. Finally, at length, he swung himself free of Fury and dismounted. His banner was driven into the ground, standing defiant before an army of thousands. He took his horn from where it dangled at his hip, drew a breath, and blew.

The mournful note had not yet faded before he started to receive disgruntled and upset looks, the Reachmen well familiar with the sound from the night before. When it did fade, he spoke. "I'm here to beat down anyone who doesn't lack the balls to face me, man to man," Steve said. "Any takers?"

Incredulous silence answered him.

"Come on now," Steve said, crossing his arms. "I don't expect Peake to have the courage to come out without being forced to, but there must be a few in this army that are here to do more than sightsee."

Glances were exchanged, not a man seeming to know how to deal with the situation. But then, it probably wasn't every day they found themselves faced with such a thing.

Slowly, Steve began to tap a finger against his arm, the tink of metal on metal loud even against the shifting and murmuring of the ranks of men he stood before. Each tink seemed to press on them more and more, or perhaps it was the slowly fading smile on Steve's face as he feigned a steadily building annoyance.

"I will face you!"

There was a waver in the words at the start, but it grew stronger by the end, and then a man was nudging his way through the ranks, much-repaired plate armour marking him apart from the typical troops around him in their more piecemeal gear, for all that their red and gold surcoats lent an air of uniformity.

Steve looked over the one to step forward as he came to a stop between him and the front ranks. Worried brown eyes looked up at him from under the raised visor of his sallet helm, though he was determined still. The helm itself was as well used as the rest of his armour, and the shield he bore on his right arm had a yellow apple on it.

"What's your name, Ser?" Steve asked.

"I'm just Harold. No ser," the man said, a swallow noticeable even beneath his chain gorget. "Wasn't knighted before my master passed."

"Well Harold, you've shown the courage of a knight if nothing else," Steve said. At the back of the block of men he had come from, someone finally hustled off, hopefully carrying a message to someone in charge. He was starting to feel a touch of real annoyance that none of the actual nobles had stepped up.

Harold didn't answer, only flicking his visor down and pulling a war pick free from the loop of leather it sat in at his left hip. Nervous tension was clear in his shoulders as he set himself as if preparing to receive a charge.

A weapon was hardly needed, certainly not when his own shield already rested on his arm, but Steve wasn't about to shame the man who had stepped forward when no one else had. He pulled his hammer free from its harness on his back, and gave it a spin. The air thrummed with its passing, and the nearby men still standing in ranks looked to Harold as one, visibly pitying him.

With a yell, Harold rushed forward, pick raised high, and Steve was struck by how young he was - he couldn't yet be out of his teens, certainly younger than Keladry. The super soldier turned side on as the pick came down and it met only air. The brave young squire did not let that stop him, lashing out with his shield in an attempt to foul any return blow Steve might be readying.

The shield bash found only another shield, and there was a tinny ring as steel boss met vibranium. Harold had time to peer through his visor, eyes widening at the complete lack of give to his blow, before Steve responded in kind.

Harold was sent flying, hurled back towards the line. He landed heavily and skidded to a stop on the grass before them, shield splintered and body still. A moment later, he groaned.

"Good fight," Steve said, setting his unused hammer back in its harness. Fury chewed loudly on the grass behind him. "Who's next?"

The ranks didn't come close to shrinking back, but there was a distinct lack of eye contact to be had. Thankfully for Steve's patience and the Reachmen's nerves, the thud of approaching hoofbeats heralded the arrival of the ones who should have been responding to his challenge all along.

Peake was not amongst them, living down to Steve's expectations. He was still disappointed, but the small group of knights and nobles would serve his purposes well enough. He recognised none of them, but the foremost among them was preceded by a banner that bore a red apple on gold. Steve glanced from it to the surcoats worn by the troops, two of whom were even then helping Harold to his feet. Someone of stature then. He'd do.

The group rode along the front ranks until they neared, having reached the front after filtering through the gaps between blocks of men, and they stopped, dismounting a short distance away. They made the final approach on foot, and it had the air of some bit of manners about it.

"Lord America," the leader of the group called out, light brown hair bouncing as he stepped forward eagerly, helm tucked under one arm. "Even if not for your banner, I would know you by your shield work."

"That so," Steve said, eyeing the man. He wore fine plate, unmarred by battle, but he still wore it easily, and the sword at his hip had a hilt that saw much use. Something about his fair face was familiar, though stubble hid the lines of his cheeks, and there were faint lines about his eyes.

"My sons fell afoul of it at Harrenhal," the man said. "I must admit to thinking poorly of them at first, for falling to an unknighted foe, but I was quickly corrected." He laughed, like they were on that same tourney field and not the field of battle, and his good mood was mirrored by smiles from the men with him.

"Owen and Raymun Fossoway," Steve said, realising where the familiarity came from even as he held back a frown. "They were skilled riders. Polite, too."

"You remember them," the man said, seeming pleased. "I am Lord Taron Fossoway." He affected a slight bow.

"Steve Rogers, Lord America," Steve said, but that was the limit of the pleasantries he was willing to engage with. "I'm here to beat down any man who faces me until Peake stops being such a coward."

The abrupt change in tone stymied Taron, but only for a moment. "Yes, well…there was some disagreement over the merit of your challenge, but it is my men you have presented yourself to, and it is I who will decide how to respond to such a thing - though I see one of my good men has already risen to the occasion."

They glanced over at where Harold was being helped away, still groggy and in no state to be standing in formation.

"He was brave," Steve said. "Stepped up as a knight should, even if he was only ever a squire."

"I see," Taron said. He glanced over his shoulder, and a man who looked to be a relative lifted one shoulder in a shrug, shaking his head slightly. "I will speak with him after, to get his measure."

Steve only nodded, and began to tap a finger on his arm again. Some of the men standing in ranks winced.

"But first we must answer your challenge," Taron said, his smile taking on a sharper edge now. His hand went to the hilt of his sword. "I w-"

"Brother, let me," another man said, stepping forward. Again he had the Fossoway look, but he was a shorter man, stockier, and he wore similarly fine plate. It stood out in contrast to the armour the men in ranks wore.

Taron sighed, but it was a put upon thing. "Mother was right to say I spoil you, Edgar," he said, and he stepped aside.

"Tales are told of your prowess, Lord America!" Edgar said as he advanced, even as the rest of his fellows stepped back. He pulled his visor down, keeping eye contact through the grill, and readied his mace. "But you have not fa-"

Steve stepped forward without bothering to draw his hammer, grabbing Edgar's weapon hand before he could do more than begin his attack. He headbutted the knight in the face, crumpling the thinner visor, and then he threw the man into the air by his arm - not far, only a foot or two, but with the blow to the face it was enough to leave him reeling and unbalanced, and he came down heavily, landing with a clatter of steel. Before he could do more than try to regain his bearings, Steve put his boot on his chest.

"Yield?" the super soldier asked.

"Yield," the knight said, confusion underneath the pain in his voice.

Steve took his boot off his chest, and looked to the rest. They were not smiling now, shock and befuddlement replacing humour. "Who's next?" he asked again.

There was a moment of silence before Taron mustered a response, glancing quickly at his soldiers, silent witnesses to it all. "Perhaps I should have been praising my sons from the start," he said, managing a brief smile.

An incline of Steve's head was his only answer, no words coming, only a silent expectation for the next challenger to step forward.

Another knight did once the first was helped up and away, but he was dispatched just as quickly as Edgar, charging forward like a bull only to be clotheslined and dumped on his back. The next managed a short exchange of blows, cautious and keeping his distance, but he too fell when Steve booted him square in the chest and sent him flying. Another did away with his shield in hopes of outpacing him, only to discover that Steve was no slow brute when he was punched three times in half a second, crumpling plate and leaving him struggling to breathe.

Throughout it all, the men nearby watched, steadily more agog at the scene playing out before them. They watched as knights they had seen trounce bandits were trounced the same in turn, as their overlords were dismissed as threats and smacked around like unruly children. Finally only Taron was left, his sworn knights spread about them in various states of pain and disarray, each having stepped forward before he had the chance.

"What are - I have never…" he said, struggling to comprehend what he had seen. "When word spread that you defeated Ser Barristan in a single blow, we thought it rumour, boasts."

Steve had little interest in discussing the particulars of his second duel with Barristan then and there. "Are you ready?" he asked instead.

Taron gathered himself. "I am," he said, drawing his sword and setting his stance. "But first - why?" He didn't need to explain.

"If Peake is going to be a bitch about things," Steve said, making no attempt to keep his words from the spectators, "I'm going to make sure everyone knows it. At least the Fossoways had the balls to step forward."

Realisation dawned on Taron's face, and he glanced to his men, grimacing as he realised Steve's ploy. Leading an army was problematic when the common soldiery thought their general to be a coward. "Well played, Lord America."

Lord Fossoway lasted no longer than his men, though Steve took pity on him and let him land a blow on his shield before dispatching him in the same way he had his son, knocking him from his feet and breaking at least one bone with a shield bash.

Steve lowered his shield and looked around. Some knights were in better condition than others, but none would find it easy to remove themselves from the field. "You there," he said, pointing at a man in the front rank. The man froze, looking from Steve to the fallen knights and back. "Help these men to their horses."

A look of relief crossed the man's face, and he went about it, working with the less battered knights to get the rest up and moving. None were crippled or even severely wounded, but no man could be manhandled by a super soldier and walk it off easily.

For a moment, the Reachmen hoped that perhaps it was over, but then they watched as the fearsome foreign lord with the strength of ten men only returned to his planted banner, showing every intention of waiting for more challengers. They could only avoid eye contact, and hope that his challenge was answered quickly.

Their hopes were not answered, and soon the impatient tapping began once more. Five minutes passed, then ten, twenty - still there was no response to the silent challenge of his presence. The tapping continued throughout, never speeding or slowing, for all that Lord America's face was slowly overtaken by a frown.

Finally, at length, Lord America shifted, the tapping suddenly stopping. "Funny, isn't it," he remarked, in a tone that said it was anything but, "how Peake expects you all to fight and die for him, but he won't even step up when challenged man to man."

The men of the Reach were left to consider those parting words as the blond giant took up his banner and mounted his white horse, ambling casually back towards his own lines. He was a small figure at the bridge by the time more Reach knights arrived in belated answer to his challenge. Whether it was due to fear, or that word had been slow to be passed, none could say, nor did it matter - the damage had already been done. Lord America, the man who had raided deep into the Reach and insulted Lord Peake with apparent impunity, had come and gone, and his words would spread amongst the men quickly.

It was a poor day for Lord Peake's reputation, but the next would be even poorer.

X

That night, men lay in wait around the Reach camp, hiding in the dark as they sought to ambush the scoundrel that had so disturbed their sleep the night prior. They would wait in vain, as their target slipped by them without a sound, tired men relying on the light of the moon little threat compared to cameras and thermal vision.

Even in the camp few saw him, and those that did paid him no mind, clearly just another weary sentry seeking his bed, or a servant carrying a message, or a quartermaster's assistant holding a report. The slips of parchment he left about the place seemed unobtrusive things, but they would certainly cause a stir when discovered and inspected under the light of day, mirthful and wrathful both. Lord America was already a target of Lord Peake's ire, but whoever this 'Hood' was would earn their own measure of it too.

When it came time for him to leave, he did not do so empty handed, a thick bundle of cloth under his arm. Those who noticed the bare banner pole by Peake's tent would only assume a servant had taken it down for cleaning, or something similar - until they were corrected by the sight that awaited them at the river the next morning.

X

"There once was a lord from the Reach
Who thought he was quite the peach
His name was Luke
His face made men puke
And the ladies all shudder and screech!
"

Lord America's martial prowess was well known, for all that it surely grew in the telling. His strategic daring had spread amongst the Reachmen, spurred on by accounts of those who had witnessed his raiding. His personal skill was likewise well known, retold by those lucky enough to be at Harrenhal or blessed enough to survive his passing at the Battle at Blueburn. Even lords of good stature were speaking of it, though of course they exaggerated his ability to ease the sting of defeat before their men.

"Brave Ser Peak he held the line
As manly courage, they did malign
He has no fear
Not at the rear
Where he can see the battle just fine!
"

What was becoming equally well known of him, however, was his sheer cheek.

"I know a man named Peake
He lusts after horse and sheep
A chase through the grass
To claim hairy ass
Til they turn and he lets out a shriek!
"

The gathered Reach army looked on as the man paraded before them, as if he had not a care in the world. Such a man certainly felt no fear, not with thousands of foes before him and his allies too far away across the river to respond should they take offence to what he was doing. And there were some who did, for his words were only half of the insult he had dared to level. The childish rhymes some might have found it in them to ignore as below their dignity to notice, but the banner? The banner was too much.

Once proudly displayed in the heart of the Reach camp, now it fluttered over Lord America's shoulder, trailing behind him. The cloth banner was made of finer materials than some lesser lords would wear, and the dyes came all the way from Tyrosh, but that only made the sight of it dragging in the dirt more painful for certain spectators.

Up and down the Reach line Lord America trotted along, his full voice ensuring that his rhymes were heard by many, and those too far back to hear clearly would have them ferried back in chortling whispers, the common men unable to pretend a lack of amusement. They were the sort of thing that a fool or a child would think up as a taunt, but that didn't make them any easier to bear. It only made them worse.

It was a very silent party that watched the field from a nearby vantage point, though each man's reasons for being so varied. Some were mortified, some furious, some just trying not to draw the notice of the party leader. Some few were amused, though they kept it to themselves. At the head of the group, Lord Peake gripped his reins tight, lips pressed together in a thin line. Even removed from the spectacle, he could make out the insolent foreigner's taunts faintly.

They watched as the would-be knight stopped, for what reason they could not divine. Then he let the stolen banner fall, and it became clear. The tail of his mount rose, and someone choked as it loosed its bowels all over the once proud symbol of House Peake's status. A piercing whinny rose up mockingly after it was done, and then Lord America was trotting away, heading back for his own line.

Noble men looked to the man who had been granted command over their host, expectant and waiting. Fewer than half of them owed him any fealty, and their clear interest was perhaps less than benevolent.

He did not speak, but something creaked in Lord Peake's gauntlet as his grip tightened even further.

X

Steve wore a faint smile as he cantered across the bridge, Fury's hoofbeats filling the cool morning air. Near the middle a dozen knights stood guard, just short of the span replaced by wood, but they stepped aside as he approached, all grinning and smirking like schoolboys. He gave them a nod in turn, and then he was past them, approaching the small party waiting for him on the north bank. Naerys was amongst them, drawing his eye, and she was inspecting him for any injury. He quirked an eye at her, wishing they were alone so she could do more than just a sight check. She must have recognised the look in his eye, because she quirked an eye in turn.

"Well?" Robert demanded, thumb drumming a beat on his thigh, the small moment enough to see his patience run dry. He stood at the head of the group, a mix of lords and Steve's own companions. "How went it?" For all that he was comparable in stature to Steve, sometimes his enthusiasm reminded people that he had only barely escaped his teens.

"I think I've well and truly introduced the limerick to Westeros," Steve said, dismounting, and rubbing Fury behind the ears as he went. "It should catch on."

Robert rolled his eyes, knowing well that Steve was deliberately misunderstanding him. "How did Peake react? Did you see him?" The other lords, mostly middling nobles that Robert got on well with personally, were almost leaning past him with eager impatience.

"He wasn't particularly happy," Steve said, handing Fury's reins off to Robin as he came forward, the squire whisking his mount away to be seen to. "I've seen charging bulls more sanguine than he was." Even as far away as he was, the expression on his face had been easy to read.

"How did he react to the sheepfucking one?" Robert asked. That particular limerick had been born of a meeting that grew into social drinking, as most planning sessions involving the lords tended to.

"I think if we had the time, we could probably kill him via stroke if we kept at it," Steve said.

"Heh," Robert said, but then his amusement faded. Time was not their ally in this, and they knew it. "If he doesn't attack tomorrow, he never will."

"From what I know of him, he will," Steve said. A smart commander would have ignored the taunts, would have placed the good of the war effort above his ego, but this was Westeros, not Earth. If Peake did not attack, his reputation would never recover, and he would be followed by the same taunts for the rest of his life. "I insulted him before his lords, made his soldiers think he feared to face me, and disrespected his banner. If he doesn't attack, that army will have a new leader within days."

"You think they'd go so far?" Silveraxe Fell asked, standing to Robert's side. He was frowning, but not in disagreement.

"They're not loyal to Peake the way you all are to Robert," Steve said. "He's a peer for some, not a superior."

"Half of them think they ought to have been given the Reach instead of the Tyrells," another lord opined. "They lack the blood of kings in their leaders that we have."

"Their loss," Robert said, cocky, and there was laughter from his lords. His gaze went beyond their talk, over the river and towards the enemy, glancing up at the sun. The day was yet young. "Rotate the men. If Peake finds his balls, I want them fresh." There was some quick talk amongst the lords, discussing details and the likelihood of an imminent attack.

Personally, Steve reckoned that the attack would come the next day, once Peake had time to boil over or be prodded into action by his fellows, but keeping the men fresh was still wise. Even just standing at the ready was tiring, especially in armour, surcoats to shield the metal from the sun or not. At least the bizarre seasons had not long left winter behind.

When Robert finished with his men and they were going off on their tasks, he turned to Steve again. Naerys had stepped up to his side to ghost her shoulder against his, and with Bryn now visible in Robert's shadow in the absence of the group, it was just the four of them. The nearest blocks of men ready to hold the river were out of casual earshot.

"Are you going out again tonight?" Robert asked him.

"I think I'll stay on this side of the river, where it's safe," Steve joked.

Robert grunted. "Good. Let them stew in it."

After the previous two nights, they'd likely be more paranoid about finding no trace of him than if he'd pulled some more mischief. "That's the plan."

"You…I find myself owing you more and more," Robert said, the big man shifting his shoulders, grimacing awkwardly. "This goading would not have worked so well from a Stormlander."

"I'm not here to profit," Steve said, glancing at Naerys. She gave him a reassuring nod. "I see the games of influence your lords play, but I want no part of it."

"Aye, but it is ill to let de- favours go unreturned," Robert said, his grimace deepening. This was not a field in which he was comfortable. "I have been counselled that I should repay you, before they grow too heavy, or reflect on me."

"Samuel is a good advisor," Steve said, taking a stab in the dark.

Robert snorted. "He is. I've needed his advice and experience here, but he has told me plainly what he needs of me in turn. His granddau-" he cut himself off, shaking his head. "I can't grant you greater privileges, or a sinecure to family, but you perform deeds that would see my loyal lords rewarded greatly, asking for nothing in turn, and my lords notice."

"Cafferen," Steve said, a note of aggravation in his voice.

"That's part of it," Robert said, nodding. "Some are envious, others don't like that you seem to be gathering favour, some just don't like that you're foreign." He glanced at Naerys. "Then there are some that take offence to your woman going about armed and armoured, or-"

"If they have a problem with that they can stand up and be heard," Steve said flatly.

"I know," Robert said, raising a hand to placate him. Behind him, his squire shifted. "I don't - I hate this part of it," he said, sighing. "Give me a good battle any day."

It was something Steve had noticed of the Stormlord. For all that he was charismatic and boisterous, he had a distaste for the subtler and underhanded side of ruling. "Samuel put you up to this too, didn't he."

Robert let out another gusty sigh. "Aye. As if we don't have more important business to see to."

"These things matter," Steve said, his mind far away. He had felt the same way for a long time, content to busy himself with Strike, but that just left him reliant on others to fight those battles. That was how you had agreements - accords - forced on you.

The look on Robert's face said he disagreed, but he didn't voice his thoughts. "Think on it," he said. "If you can ask for something and I can reward you, maybe everyone will calm down."

Steve found himself sharing a look with Naerys, their thoughts clearly aligning. Robert was young though. He would learn that there was no ignoring politics. "I'll do that," Steve said.

"Good," Robert said, already turning away, as if fleeing the topic. "Come on squire, I want to see that footwork I showed you."

Steve watched them go, but felt his lips pursing as he came to realise that he had been guilty of the same avoidance that the Stormlord was. He had seen the unhappiness of certain lords and machinations playing out, but he had done the minimum to blunt them. A sigh escaped him. He really did not want to get involved in them more than he already was.

"Such a burden, to be owed by a Lord Paramount," Naerys said, tucking her hand into the crook of his arm. There were far too many potential eyes on them for anything more.

"It's not easy, but someone has to do it," Steve said, playing along. His armour prevented him from feeling the warmth of her hand, so he shook off a gauntlet and threaded his fingers through hers instead, squeezing gently.

She returned it, smiling, but then her mien grew serious. "There is another reason for lords to be unhappy with you, Steve," she said, looking him in the eye. "There are those that don't like that you expect them to live up to their oaths, but what they hate most is that you can force consequences on them should they not. Those are the ones most dangerous, not the lords jealous of Robert's attention or who look down on anyone not born in the Stormlands."

Steve felt his jaw set, mulish. "They can hate it all they like. They don't have a choice in the matter."

Naerys bit her lip, eyes darkening as she looked up at him. "There is not a man in this army or that who can best you, but some are foolish enough to try."

"Let them," Steve said. He felt something savage twist in his heart as a thought occurred to him. "Remind Lyanna, and Betty and her girls not to wander through the camp alone."

"They won't need the reminder, but I'll speak with them," Naerys said. She tugged at his arm. "Let's get you out of that armour. You deserve a rest, and a…massage."

Steve couldn't help but react, and Naerys smirked as she caught it. He allowed himself to be pulled along, both determined to take advantage of the final moment of calm, one way or another. They began to make for the camp, past the defensive lines and beyond.

The next day, the battle of Mastford Bridge would finally begin.

The easiest thing would be to ask for the promise of materials and funds to support Steve's intended crusade for liberty against Slaver's Bay.

It's a noble deed, large reward worthy of great deeds of valour and is a blunt statement to jealous lords that if nothing else they don't have have to fear Lord America sticking around looking for a fiefdom and power in Westeros.
Confirmation that he will, in fact, go away if they ignore him for long enough.

The easiest thing would be to ask for the promise of materials and funds to support Steve's intended crusade for liberty against Slaver's Bay.

It's a noble deed, large reward worthy of great deeds of valour and is a blunt statement to jealous lords that if nothing else they don't have have to fear Lord America sticking around looking for a fiefdom and power in Westeros.
Confirmation that he will, in fact, go away if they ignore him for long enough.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's a commensurate request, it gets him out of their hair, and it appears to fit with their worldview of Steve establishing a proper fiefdom for himself equal to his deeds and also his personal ethos of publicly being unable to abide slavery.

The Battle of Mastford Bridge 5
There was a tension in the air, as the sun rose on the fourth day at Mastford Bridge. Anticipation could be felt coursing from man to man like a river, starting with the veterans until even the youngest camp followers could feel it. There was no doubt that the Reach would finally accept their offer of battle that day. Not after Lord America's show the day before, and days before that.

Across the Stormland camp, men readied themselves for battle, and all that came with it. Those that knew their letters well enough scratched out messages for loved ones, while others made deals with those they trusted to carry words home, or to carry theirs if needed. Trinkets and small keepsakes, what coin they had, even the armour they wore, all was spoken for as men did their best to ensure it would get to those they left behind should they fall.

But not all men were so grim in their preparations. Others spoke and boasted of this or that ransom they would take, of what they would do with their share, of how they would crush the Reachmen at the water's edge. Three days of watching and listening - and contributing - to a powerful foe being subjected to shit talk had a way of raising spirits, and the knowledge that warriors like Lord Baratheon and Lord America were on their side raised it ever further.

There was little of that in Lord America's camp that morning, however. Arrangements for the fallen had long since been made, written down in the official company logs, signed and stamped by each member no matter their role or status. Instead the entire company was gathered in good cheer along the tables and under shading tarps that served as the mess area, tucking into a breakfast that a lord would hesitate to pass up with. Greasy bacon, fresh eggs and fresher bread, and honey to drizzle over whatever they pleased. The best of it all though was the fruit, bowls and bowls of it along the mess tables, enough for every man to have seconds. There was even some variety to it, apples and melons and plums. How the Captain had gotten his hands on it, they did not know, but they weren't about to question it. That was just what the Captain did.

"If I'd known you were doing this too," Walt grumbled, "I wouldna bothered." He was mopping up the grease on his plate with a hunk of bread.

"I think it worked out better this way," Steve said, not looking at the man at his left. He bit into an apple. He had saved it for last, a clean plate before him, for all that he had polished off another in his tent before joining the men for breakfast. "Better that everyone can have their fill rather than hand out one apiece."

Around them, the talk and cheer of the company continued. There was no gulf or distance between officer and enlisted, between knight and smallfolk, or even between soldier and servant. They were one company preparing themselves for the day to come, even if it was unlikely they themselves would see combat.

"How did you get your hands on it?" Walt asked, tearing off a piece of his bread with his teeth. "Not easy to get fresh fruit with an army about."

"Bought from a merchant in Mastford, before the army arrived," Steve said. "Why, how did you?"

Walt took his time chewing, long enough for Steve to give him a look. "It were all above board," the old soldier said. "Don't worry about it, milord."

"Uh huh," Steve said, his tone making his thoughts clear.

"It was, Captain," Symon insisted, seated across the table from them. The slender man had come a long way from being a determined but untrained man setting off into hostile mountain territory. "We won it fair and-" he jumped, as if he had just been kicked under the table, and cleared his throat. "I mean, it were all above board."

Steve sighed, and decided to leave it. He spied Robin one table over, sitting amongst Osric, Ren, Willem, and the rest of the slingers. They were laughing about something, and he felt a smile forming on his own face, contagious.

"Did you decide on where you would put him?" Naerys asked, following his gaze from where she was seated at his right. If they were sitting closer to one another than most occupants of the mess benches, no one had commented. "Or if you're taking anyone with you on the bridge?"

She was eating a plum, and as Steve watched, a drop of juice spilled from her lips to trail down her chin. As he considered her question, he reached out to wipe it off absently. "Robin will stay with the company. Payment for riding out without orders last time," he said. "I'll post Ren amongst the knights supporting me, with the banner, and Keladry will fight at my side." He licked the plum juice he'd wiped off from his thumb.

She blushed faintly at first, but something in Naerys' expression eased at his words. "Good," she said.

Steve gave her a curious look, prompting her with a tilt of his chin.

"I'd rather you have someone by your side who knows how you fight," she said in answer. "Other men would stop and stare the first time you punch through someone's plate."

"You've been listening too closely to rumours," Steve said dryly, finishing his apple.

"But they are so entertaining," Naerys said, and the glint in her eyes warned him to her mischief. "My favourite is the one where you felled a knight by slapping him with your leg."

"With my leg?" Steve asked, looking for the mischief.

"Well, your third-"

Steve goosed her thigh under the table before she could finish, and she retaliated with a poke to his ribs, where he was ticklish. A quick duel broke out, and a compromise was reached when they managed to grab each other's hand, hostilities fading. They enjoyed the last of their breakfast in silence, listening to the talk of the company around them.

A nudge of his elbow almost reignited their conflict, but then Naerys saw where he was looking, and she smiled. It seemed they were no longer one of only two couples in the company; Henry and Ursa had their heads mighty close together as they spoke quietly, each smiling as they did. They were not the only ones to notice, and Steve saw more than a few coins changing hands quietly.

Breakfast came to an end, and the company began to depart to make their final preparations as the sun rose in truth. They would not be standing in the ranks along the river's edge, but they would be ready to ride out in response to any word that the Reach had found a missed crossing up or downstream, Walt at their head. The old soldier had grumbled when told of his duty that day, but he had accepted it.

Robin had also taken his orders well enough, knowing that it was his own actions that had brought it about, and had seen to his duties in helping Steve armour up with the same diligence he always did, before hurrying off to speak with Lyanna before he had to join Walt. Steve had time to steal a kiss from Naerys before she went to the medic tents and then he was on his way, meeting Keladry and Ren at the edge of their section of the camp. Ren was calm in a way she hadn't been before the Battle at Blueburn, banner held steady, and Kel was as controlled as always, though Steve could see her readiness for battle in the grip she had on her glaive. Both women fell into place at his shoulders, and he couldn't help but feel a moment of amusement that he was keeping the same secret for each of them from the other.

The camp was only a short ride from the river, and they passed the first blocks of men marching into position on their way there. Putting the entire army at the river at once was overkill, given the breadth of the ford, and more men would be sent over the course of the day, battle or not. They even passed small groups of men trudging back to camp, sentries given relief after a night of tense watching for a sneak attack.

When they arrived, there was a yellow and black stag banner waiting for them just short of the bridge, but no sight of the enemy just yet. They made for Robert, and the coterie of perhaps two dozen knights around him.

"St-Ser Steve," Robert called as they neared, bringing whatever conversation was ongoing to at pause.

"Lord Robert," Steve answered, tapping Brooklyn's flanks to bring her to a stop.

"Just two?" Robert asked as the three of them dismounted, handing the reins of their mounts to waiting squires.

"Well, you told me you were bringing the best of the Stormlands to back me up, so I figured I didn't need more," Steve said as he joined the gathering proper.

His words were taken well by the seasoned and eager knights. Some were nobles, but some were clearly hedge knights, armour well worn but better cared for, and it was clear that they had been chosen carefully.

"We're all the best, but aye," Robert said, grinning. He gestured like he held a goblet in his hand. "Not a man here that can't go a few minutes in the circle with me, and you'll know this lout." He slapped the man next to him on the back, hard enough that the grate on his helm popped open.

A familiar face was revealed, and the smile he wore despite the blow only drew attention to the similarities between him and his lord. "Ser Steve," he said. There was a mace on his hip, and his shield was patterned to resemble a tortoise shell.

"Ser Thomas," Steve said. "No wine involved this time, I'm afraid."

Thomas shrugged as best he could in steel, blue eyes philosophical about the lack of wine. "Not every bit of adventure can be perfect."

"There'll be wine, I'm sure," another man said, "just after."

"You're damned right there will be," Robert said. "A keg from my own stock for every man here, and a fine Reach stallion or a suit of armour on top."

There was a confidence amongst them, and it was bolstered by a cheer in response to his words, for all that they were less than thirty warriors to hold the bridge against all that the Reach could muster to break across it. But then, such confidence was warranted when men had the proof of their own eyes that some things were not boastful rumour, but fact.

Still, Steve was not one inclined to arrogance or poor planning. "There are reserves ready to switch out with us?" he asked of Robert.

"I've a lance ready to ride up in sections," Robert said, more serious now. "They'll be your relief as needed."

Relief, or reinforcements if they were overrun, but that wasn't going to happen in Steve's humble opinion. "Then all that's left is to take our positions."

Before anyone could reply, movement from the corner of his eye caught his attention, and he looked across the river. A party of riders was approaching, and behind them came the Reach army, slowly emerging from behind the woods that hid the road from view in the distance.

"Stags to coppers that's Peake in front," Robert said, following his gaze. His own narrowed, but his smirk spoke to satisfaction. "Leading from the front, all dressed up and with his special sword too, I bet."

Steve felt his interest piqued by the mention of the sword, but before he could ask the Stormlord was turning to him.

"Are you riding out with me to meet him?"

"I think I've said all that needs saying," Steve said, the understatement in his words near a physical thing, "but if he asks where I am, tell him, and call him a bitch for me."

Robert laughed, and it spread quickly to the other knights. "I'll do that. Gods, the songs- I'll ask him what he thought of the drawings, too."

"We want him to berserk and break parley, then?" Thomas asked.

There was more laughter, and then Robert was gesturing over a mounted party from nearby, his own horse held by them. The Stormlands forces were just taking up their positions along the river in full when their Lord Paramount rode over the bridge, antlered helm and hammer born by a single hand making him seem larger than the knights behind him. Black and yellow billowed in the wind as they rode, hooves clattering on stone, and the army cheered them on. Bara-theon, Bara-theon, Bara-theon they roared, battlelust beginning to boil over. It would be soon.

Soon, but not yet. Steve turned to the men who were nominally his for the battle, and began to give orders. The bridge would hold, but he was not looking forward to the amount of blood he would need to spill to ensure it.

X

Robert had returned from the short-lived negotiations in good cheer, Steve and his men stepping to each side of the bridge to let him pass. They would be the last to do so until Steve decided otherwise.

Near the middle of the bridge, just short of the section that had been replaced by wood, Steve stood alone - almost. Behind, at his right shoulder Keladry stood, helm closed and glaive ready, pointing skyward. To his left was Thomas, deep and almost hungry breaths hinting that his smile had fallen away, mace drifting back and forth. The rest of the knights stood in loose ranks two steps behind them, Ren in their centre, holding the banner that proudly declared just who was waiting for any that dared to cross high.

There were squads of archers at the end of the bridge, ready and waiting behind wooden barricades, positioned to fire upon the bridge as needed, and men holding the river to its sides, but the men with Steve were isolated, an exposed point almost begging to be crushed in recompense for the insults their leader had thrown at Lord Peake.

Across the river, trumpets sang, and men began to move. A block of men, perhaps two hundred strong, angled for the bridge. They were no knights, only troops and men-at-arms at best, and Steve felt his jaw set. A probing attack, testing them.

"Remember," he said, speaking over his shoulder. "This is a marathon, not a sprint. Swap out before you feel the strain, not after. Peake is going to make us stack his men high before he sends his knights. God knows he won't come himself."

Low chuckles answered him, but the time for high spirited mirth was over, and then the Reachmen were at the river.

Arrows soared, buzzing like hornets, and they came from both sides. A moment later, scattered screams rang out, but they were distant, second to the steel rain that was about to fall on the bridge. Steve held his shield over his exposed face, ignoring the few that fell upon him. Arced as they were, they didn't have nearly enough power to pierce even the comparatively weaker joins of his armour. Keladry was much the same for all that she lacked a shield, only tilting her head down to avoid the ill luck of an arrow through her visor. Behind them, he heard shields being raised, protecting the one member of their guard not in plate armour.

The volleys continued from both sides, men dying here and there to poor luck, but most were only injured, ignoring the arrows sticking from legs and arms to keep pushing across the river, or to wait at its bank.

Without water and poor footing to slow them, the men advancing across the bridge neared well before their fellows below did, much to their misfortune. Steve readied his hammer, expression flat and closed off. Then the foes reached him, and he began to kill.

They came in ranks five wide, and there was fear in their eyes, for all it was held in check by the knowledge that they were followed by hundreds of their fellows. They thought to drown him with numbers, to take advantage of the mistake or arrogance that had him standing alone at the front.

The first to die fell without understanding how, but those behind them saw it all. They saw the hammer spike through the face, the shield that shattered a skull, the boot that broke a neck. They saw, but they did not have time to comprehend, because then it was their turn. Blood splattered across the grey stone of the bridge, and the next rank advanced, momentum carrying them to their deaths.

Not every man was cut down by Steve; the men on the outside of the Reach column continued on, hoping or assuming that he would be dealt with only to find themselves facing their own foes. Glaive and mace carved and crushed them, taking advantage of the dervish of slaughter that was their captain. Some rushed them, just to find them easier targets by comparison only. Others thought to help their friends with the red stained knight at the front first, just to discover that they did not take kindly to such things. As each rank advanced, they had precious heartbeats to realise what awaited them and decide how they would spend their lives, and then it was the turn of the rank behind them.

A roar and almighty clamour rose up on either side as the two armies below met, and the footing on the bridge began to grow treacherous, slick with blood and littered with corpses. The Reachmen's advance was fouled by those that had gone before them, and the slaughter grew. Arrows continued to buzz overhead, both sides attempting to aid the contest on the bridge.

Steve crushed a man's torso with his hammer, then held his weapon horizontally, a hand at each end of the haft, pushing back at the men lining up to die. They were near launched back, sent stumbling and knocking into those behind, the impact rippling through the ranks. He took the moment to glance at Kel and Thom, making sure they were holding up. There was time to see glaive part a man from his arm and mace dent a man's head, but then the foe had recovered, and was pushing forward once more.

They died, and the bodies piled up, leaving those behind to struggle past them. At first, they stepped over them, battle fever skewing their judgement, persuading them that surely they would be the ones to break through. Battle fever wavered though, when the corpses grew to knee deep and they could no longer delude themselves. Standing in ranks, it was impossible for those far behind to see how the fight was going, but as those in front were mowed down, those behind moved up, and they saw. They saw death, and they began to waver.

Ducking under a desperate swipe, Steve punched the man with his shield, sending him flying into the stone parapet at the edge, where he was flipped by the impact and sent tumbling into the water below. Two more men were dead before the splash was heard, and then came a lull, as the carpet of corpses physically prevented the Reach advance. The men next in line stared at Steve with terror writ plainly in their eyes, unwilling to move forward, but unable to flee, blocked by those behind them.

Blood dripped from the brow of Steve's helm to trail down his cheek. Slaughter was a messy business, and there was a bright red splatter across his chest, highlighting the contours of the star embossed there. Gore dripped from the spikes and flanges of his hammer, and his expression was unyielding. Dozens had pushed to their death, and it was clear that as long as they continued, so would the killing.

It was a faint, hoarse thing at first, barely heard over the clamour of battle, but it grew louder. "Back," one of the men in the front rank said. "Back, back!"

"Forward!" came the shout from the rear, too far back to see what awaited them. "Forward!"

The column was prodded forward by the pressure of those pressed, and those in front looked at the knights that waited for them with fear as they stumbled into the dead, but no violence answered. The front ranks scrambled to push back, no time to ponder their stay of execution - they were out of reach of certain death, but that could change with a step either way - and slowly, forcefully, those in front began to push their way back into the column.

Confusion and accusations of cowardice rose from the Reachmen, but as men pushed through, those behind saw what they had seen, and their voices fell silent. Within a minute, the Reachmen were fleeing the bridge as a mob, not a man amongst them willing to take another step closer to the man that had slain dozens and dozens of their comrades.

Steve watched as they went, thankful that their morale had broken. He spun the haft of his hammer, flicking blood from its head. More would come, he knew with grim certainty, but they would not cross the bridge. Not while he held it. He could only hope that they would come to learn the futility of their efforts before he killed them all.

"Keladry, Thomas," Steve said, turning to them. Both were breathing hard, though Kel was recovering faster. The armour of both was spotted red, if not as much as his own. "Swap out with someone, then head to the back of the line." Kel turned to move right away, but Thomas was slower.

"I'm not tired," Thomas said, put out, his voice not quite echoing within his helm.

Steve almost managed a quip about hogging all the fighting and not giving the others a chance, but he was too aware of the pile of corpses that he had just made. "Not yet. But we don't know how long we'll be fighting for, or how many men they'll feed into the grinder. This is a marathon, not a sprint," he finished, repeating himself.

Something in the line of Thomas's shoulders said he realised that, and he argued no further, turning to follow after Kel, and Steve turned back to the foe as two fresh knights stepped up.

Over the river, a noble rode out to the retreating soldiers, vitriol clear in whatever tirade he was levelling at them, his posture obvious even if he was too far away to be heard over the battle. Whatever he said, the men stubbornly refused to obey, choosing noble displeasure over certain death, and eventually the rider turned from them in disgust. A stray arrow pinged off his shoulder and was ignored as he rode back to the ranks of men waiting for their own turn to advance across the river. For a moment, Steve expected another group of soldiers to be ordered forward, but the man rode past them, towards what he couldn't see.

"I want this bridge cleared of bodies," Steve said, projecting over his shoulder. "We will place them in rows on the far bank." Leaving them where they lay might have done more to impede progress, but having to march past them would be more detrimental to their morale, and might even make them flee faster. It also meant they wouldn't have to stand before a pile of corpses on a sunny day, with all that implied.

It did not take long for the bodies to be moved, with all of them working together. Steve saw more than one man glance consideringly over the bridge parapet, though perhaps they were just taking in the state of the battle. It was not going well for the Reach; only at one point had they managed to start forcing their way from the river and their efforts had earned them a continued shower of arrows. By the time Steve had seen the corpses laid out in rows on the far bank on both sides of the bridge, the block's advance had been stymied and pushed back into the shallow water.

As they returned to their position, it was also clear that the foe had decided on their next move for the bridge. Knights came on foot, heavily armed and armoured, fifty strong, and their way was shaded by swarms and swarms of arrows. Some battle cry was shouted by the man at their head, and they charged across the bridge in a thunder of metal.

They died.

Not all of them, but over half were felled before they were driven back, and their corpses joined those already there, adding to the warning. Steve didn't know what had driven them to keep at it until they'd suffered such casualties, and there was a grim set to his jaw at the thought that those that came next would have the same stubbornness.

For all that Steve had a low opinion of Peake, however, the man was no fool. After watching two attacks thoroughly mauled, he did not send a third - not in the same manner, at least. A makeshift battering ram was brought up, though to call it a ram was misleading. It was a wagon, repurposed and redesigned, with a wooden barrier anchored to its front like a shield, thick branches poking out its side for men to push with, and a rudimentary roof providing cover. It was an ugly thing, but it moved, and it picked up speed as it reached the stone of the bridge, barrelling towards them. The barrier had a small square cut from it on each side, and Steve could make out the wild eyes of the first men pushing it along. It seemed that if they couldn't cut him down, they meant to run him over.

"Well, they say if you want to break down the castle gates, you need a ram," Steve said as he returned his hammer to its harness, pitching his voice to be heard. Laughter answered him, some more nervous than others. "With me, men. There can't be much more than a dozen pushing it."

He stepped forward, and such was his confidence that none hesitated to join him. The wagon seemed fast, but only due to its size, and only to someone who hadn't thrown a motorcycle into an enemy truck. He planted himself, as did those beside him, and those behind braced them, braced by those behind them in turn.

The wagon slowed slightly as it rattled over the wooden replacement span, but it was still going fast enough to bowl over the average man - until it wasn't. Sabatons slid across stone and men grunted with effort as momentum was absorbed through the ranks, but it was the Reachmen who suffered more. Pained gasps were heard, as the men who were pushing it suddenly found the branches they pushed with crushing into their chests and stomachs, wind driven out of them.

Steve had a moment to consider their next step - tossing the wagon off the bridge was a bit more blatantly obvious than he was willing to be - but such thoughts were put on hold when a small square section of the barrier was pulled in and a man hiding within the wagon tried to thrust a spear into his face.

Hands occupied, Steve twisted his head to the side, letting the spearpoint glance off his helm. He wasn't sure who was more surprised, him at the sudden spear to the face, or the man at missing what he must have thought was a sure kill. Pushing down the sudden urge to take the spear haft between his teeth and bite it off, he slammed his shoulder and shield into the wagon's barrier, rocking it back even as he reached for the spear with his free hand. It was pulled back before he could, but he didn't let that stop him, punching clear through the barrier in pursuit. A high pitched curse came as he grasped it, and then he pulled it out and free, hurling it away.

"Push!" he bellowed, only putting a measure of strength into it once those with him did. The wagon began to roll back, those behind it trying to stop them, but they were winded by effort and impact already, and had no one capable of matching him besides.

The man in the wagon struck out again, reaching out with dagger in hand this time as he tried to stab at Steve blindly, and he broke the arm absently. He let the man wrench it back within. Whatever Peake had promised them, he didn't know, but it was certainly getting a great effort out of them.

"Again!" Steve shouted, and this time he stepped forward as they pushed. "Again!"

Gradually, but then picking up speed, the wagon was pushed back, back and back until they reached the far bank. A wheel bit into the earth, digging in and making the wagon lurch and turn. Steve grunted as he gave it a bit of extra lift, causing it to spin and tumble, and then it was rolling over onto its side, exposing its belly. A quick kick destroyed an axel, and he ignored the men crawling from the body like rats from a sinking ship, fleeing.

"I don't think they'll try that one again," a hedge knight said, caught between disbelief and exhilaration.

"Probably not," Steve said. Movement caught his ear, someone still within the wagon, and then one last man tumbled out, clutching his arm to his chest in pain. He stepped over to him before the nearest knight could do more than raise his hammer.

The man looked up in dread as he noticed Steve's sabatons stop beside him, but he could do nothing as he was picked up and dusted off, pale with fear.

"So," Steve said, leaning in, like he was confiding something, though he didn't lower his voice at all. "What would Peake have given you if you'd managed to put that spear through my face?"

There was a growl behind him, and the sound of something wooden being stamped into the ground.

"I, what?" the man asked, face strained by pain as well. He was neither old nor young, and his pale brown hair was plastered to his head with sweat.

"Come on, you can tell me," Steve said, coaxing.

"A, a knighthood, and land to build a keep on," the man said, not even thinking to hide it.

"Huh. That's more than I was expecting," Steve said. He rubbed at his chin. "Is that a good deal?" he asked over his shoulder.

"Bit cheap, considering," Thomas offered.

"Offer me Highgarden and I'll think about it," someone joked.

Ren growled again.

"Mercy," the man asked, eyes wide and roving. "I yield, mercy." He was trembling.

Steve shed his air of amusement. "Steady there, son. You're not going to die here. Take a deep breath."

The man obeyed, and then took several more, slowly calming, though it would be wrong to call him calm.

"I'm going to let you go, but I'd like you to take a message to Peake for me," Steve said.

This didn't do anything good for his nerves, but the man managed a jerky nod.

"Tell Peake that if he wants to keep using me to thin his bannermen, I'm willing to oblige, but I'd really rather cut to the chase and face him. I'll even keep things fair, and fight him bare handed if he wants," Steve said.

The man nodded again, eyes darting from knight to knight.

"Oh, and call him a bitch if he declines," Steve added.

This time, the nod came more reluctantly.

"Good man. Off you go."

He couldn't leave fast enough, turning and running, feet near tumbling over one another.

Steve shook his head, turning back to the bridge. "Come on," Steve said to those fighting with him. He couldn't see any of their faces, but their postures told the story clearly enough that he could imagine. "Let's get back into position so Peake can throw his next trick at us."

They left the Reach side of the river, and the rows of corpses behind, walking back to their side with pep in their steps. It was a queer feeling for some of them, feeling almost undefeatable while the river battle raged on either side, but they were beginning to understand the attitude of those they'd spoken to from Lord America's company.

The day wasn't over yet, and Peake surely had more tricks and more bodies to throw at them, but whatever came, they would face it.

The Battle of Mastford Bridge 6
It was a strange feeling, to stand on the bridge in the centre of battle with nothing to do as the fighting continued to either side of them. The Reachmen were lucky that the riverbed was mostly stone, even if there were treacherous footholes here and there, but the men of the Stormlands still had the advantage on the riverbank. It was a less brutal fight than that at Blueburn, blocks of men probing at spear length rather than crushing against one another, but it was still a battle, and the river still stained red. Arrows soared steadily overhead, killing few, but adding to the misery of the fight.

Steve was leaning against the bridge parapet, and on the verge of sending a runner for a table and snacks, to taunt the foe if nothing else, when movement from the enemy caught his attention. It wasn't another block of men approaching, or some contraption, but a line of men, perhaps a dozen strong by the length. They were advancing steadily towards the bridge as one, but it was what they carried that caught his attention.

Each man hefted a pair of round shields, though not in the way one would expect. Wooden frames had been constructed, and the shields attached to them, one above another, resulting in a barrier not quite the height of a man. They walked as one, doing their best to keep their makeshift barrier together, but they could not help but let gaps form here and there, and through these Steve glimpsed the truth of their ploy.

"Pavise shields," Steve said, more to himself.

"'Pavise'?" a knight at his shoulder asked. "Is that a word from your homeland?"

"Yeah, it's-" he shook his head. Details were less important at that moment. "We've got crossbowmen coming."

There was a faint stir from those that heard his words. "Do they think we will stand here and let them shoot at us?" someone asked, amusement and indignation in his tone.

"No, look, behind their archers," the other, the one to his left, said.

The foe's archers had been positioned in front of their infantry, at the edge of the Stormland range but with the river in their reach. Behind them, though, horses could be glimpsed. Without riders, and difficult to spot given the difference in elevation from bridge to beyond the bank, but they were there, and their riders were surely with them unseen.

"They think to turn us into pincushions, and then run us down, or to force us off the bridge, and ride through the opening," the man opined.

"I think you're onto something," Steve said.

"More fool them, if they think we'll be forced off by that," a knight still waiting his turn to join Steve at the front said. "Unless they have Myrish crossbows," he appended.

Steve glanced back at them, giving their armour a closer look. For all that they all wore plate and were knights all, there was still a range of quality to be seen. Some wore steel gorgets, others mail, while some only only had an aventail. He was also conscious of the fact that none of their armour was as thick or well made as his own.

The line of makeshift pavise shields was nearing, and the second row of men behind the shield bearers was becoming more obvious, but Steve would bet they meant to come right to the end of the bridge before they stopped to fire. For what seemed to be a newly invented tactic, for Westeros at least, it had promise.

Pity he would have to go about ruining that promise.

"Be right back," Steve said, as the foe came to a stop just past the end of the bridge.

"Er, what?" "Ser-"

He was already on his way though, leaving his hammer on his back as he strode forwards. The pavise wall had shifted as it stopped, the three on each end angling themselves to provide protection from the sides, and as busy as they were ensuring they were all in place and ignoring the odd arrow that came their way, it took them a moment to notice his advance.

It was a gnarly old soldier with missing front teeth who noticed first. Steve knew this due to the way he gaped when he saw him, but the man was quick to hiss a warning to his fellows. Activity behind the shields picked up.

Steve was nearing the end of the bridge when he saw crossbow stirrups poking through the edges of the pavises, near where the rounded edges of the shields met. A moment later, there was the snap of strings. Every last quarrel shot towards him, too fast for the average man to react to.

His shield was waiting for them, and most bounced off harmlessly, soft plinks quieter than those that bullets made. Some hit the steel cap that had replaced what was lost, louder, and more jarring. One hit his right arm, but barely left a scratch, hitting right in the middle of the abnormally thick section on the back. He counted the impacts, nodded to himself, and lowered his shield.

The shield came right back up, catching a pair of quarrels that would have hit him right in the face. Well, if that was the way they wanted to play it…Steve went from a steady stride to a sprint, and a heartbeat later he was bursting through the line of shields, splinters flying in his wake.

There were two dozen men there, most staring at him in shock and horror. Those with crossbows had barely begun to reload them, most crouching to get a hook hanging from their belts behind the string, and one of them was attaching some kind of winding mechanism to his, while the rest were bracing the makeshift pavises, or tumbling across the ground in the wake of his sudden arrival. All this he took in at a glance, and then he was moving.

Bones were shattered and bodies were broken as Steve laid about with shield and fist, heading left down the line. One man latched on to him, thinking to lock his arm in place for the next man to take advantage of, but Steve just headbutted the next man into the dirt, and then the man on his arm found himself airborne, crashing into those trying to take advantage of Steve's turned back.

When Steve finished with his first victims, he turned back for the others. The shieldbearers had dropped them, choosing to risk that the Stormland archers wouldn't fire with one of their own amongst them, only to have their charge fouled by their flying comrade. They now found themselves subject to Steve's undivided attention, while behind them the crossbowmen worked frantically to reload.

Steve punched a man in the jaw, breaking it, and then carried through to elbow the man to his right in the face. An unlooking boot snapped a man's leg, while he grabbed another man by the arm to wield him as a flail, sending two more flying. He threw the unlucky foe into a crossbowman who had just finished setting a bolt in place, and then there were only four left.

He judged the distance; they were barely a lunge away, but their crossbows were already coming up to point at him, and he crouched, curling up behind his shield. There were three plinks on his shield, then a long pause, before finally the fourth hit. He rose, lowering his shield.

It was his reflexes that saved him. Two bolts were flying for his face, again, but he twitched aside with a speed that no normal man could match. One bolt sailed over his shoulder, while the other hit his plate gorget and skittered away. He saw how they had tricked him; one man had taken up the loaded crossbow of the man he had thrown someone at, giving him a false sense of security for the last to take advantage of.

The man who had almost shot him in the face, twice, lowered his crossbow with an almost resigned fear. It was the man with the wind up crossbow - windlass, Steve thought it was called - an older man with a jagged scar across his brow. Steve stepped forward, and the other three turned and fled, but the hoary soldier only dropped his weapon and drew a rondel knife, advancing to meet him.

Steve caught his arm as he went for his face, and put his leg in the way of the knee to his groin. With a twist of his wrist he snapped the man's arm cleanly, but he only let out a pained hiss, trying to drop the knife into his other hand and strike at his armpit. A headbutt saw him stumbling back, dazed, and his nose broken.

"Settle down there son," Steve said. "I think you've done enough."

The man swore at him, but it was muffled by the hand he held to his nose, now streaming with blood.

A quick look to his surroundings told him he was safe for the moment, as those enemies closest seemed preoccupied with their injuries or running away, and the force that seemed to have been waiting to take advantage of an opening was shying back from their charge now that it had failed to appear.

A scrape of movement drew his gaze back; the man at his feet was trying to draw another knife from his boot. Steve waited for him to draw it before kicking it away, shaking his head.

"Just don't," he told the man. He was about to give him some incredibly hypocritical advice when the man's crossbow caught his eye.

Steve saw now why he had been startled by a pair of quarrels both times. It was no simple crossbow like he had been seeing ever since his first little brawl back at Sharp Point, but something a little fancier, with two bow lathes instead of one, and a more familiar form of trigger. There were even groupings of three castles decorating its stock, burnt into the wood.

"You know, I think I'll take this," Steve said to his defeated foe, leaning down to pick it and the winding mechanism up.

"Cock," the man managed. "What'd he do to you?"

The super soldier glanced away from his loot to the defeated man, cold disdain replacing battle-cheer. "I don't like rapists." A man like Peake wasn't one that would abuse a single person under their power and no others. He would have multiple victims, and no way of finding out where Steve had heard of his crimes. "Your lord might be beyond the authorities of this land, but he's not beyond me. You tell him that."

The Peake man was incensed. "You trust some weeping gash-"

Steve kicked him in the jaw, leaving him insensate. He hummed to himself as he gathered up a few quivers of bolts, taking them from the injured and groaning men around him, even as they began to drag themselves away from the river. Some were utterly still, not the stillness of death, but the stillness of an animal in the presence of a much larger predator, and he ignored these, not wanting to cause them undue stress. He began to make his way back to his unit, frowning. The brawl had stoked his spirits briefly, taking his mind off the earlier slaughter, but the scarred man's words had brought him down again, and the sight of the ongoing battle in the river only dampened them further. He set his jaw.

The sooner this war ended, the better.

X

The bridge was not assaulted again that day. The men straining in the river were called back, replaced by fresh troops in an attempt to overcome the weary Stormlanders, but it was a simple thing for Robert to command the same, and the stalemate continued. Steve got to see the squad of stretcher bearers he had championed put to good use, ferrying men wounded on the riverbanks back to camp, but as the sun began to set, the Reachmen pulled back once more.

As the army pulled back, however, there was one last group that rode forward. Not soldiers, but camp followers, and they came with wagons as they made for the rows of corpses by the bridge.

At Steve's word, none interfered with them. He knew that word would spread amongst the foe of the toll that had been reaped from those that tried the bridge, and he knew that they would replace the warning come the next day in any case. He took note, however, that amongst those that had been sent to collect the bodies were the women that he had returned to the Reach when he had parlayed with Mace Tyrell, and he frowned. Whether it was a message or a method of ensuring he would not interfere he did not know, but either way it said something, and he felt his dislike of Peake renewed, plans churning over in his head.

That night, the Stormland camp celebrated. They had seen their foes off, and put another nail in the coffin of Lord Peake's manhood. Amongst Steve's company, Ren regaled the men with what she had witnessed of their leaders, telling enraptured listeners of their martial might, no matter how much either of them tried to get her to focus on the other. Lyanna was likewise enamoured with the crossbow that Steve gifted her, and when Robin had offered, far too casually, to give her lessons on how to use it, Steve found himself sharing a smile with Naerys, tucked under his arm. A ration of wine had the night ending in good cheer, all retiring in good time. The battle would come again the next day, and they were ready for it.

Not all dangers on campaign came from the enemy, however.

X x X

The Reach attacked early, the second day of battle, but the Stormland scouts were well alert, and warning was carried back in time. The sun had only just risen above the horizon in full as the assault on the bridge broke and fled, men unwilling to continue in the face of the butchery they faced. Steve set his men to clearing the corpses as he saw to an injury of a hedge knight, the man's arm broken while fighting at his side. Below them, the battle continued on, though it seemed a slower thing today, the Reachmen less motivated to push hard up the bank, more content to trade where they stood.

"You won't be fighting again today," Steve told the man as he tested the arm, gauntlet and vambrace on the parapet beside them. "Or for the next month, by the feel of this."

"I could splint it, and strap a shield to it," the man said hopefully.

Steve snorted, shaking his head. "You've got the spirit, but you've done your part here. Be proud. You could probably help out in the medic tent if you're looking for a way to contribute."

The knight sighed, eyes downcast through the grill of his helm. "I suppose…"

"Hey, pay attention to the doctor and you might pick up something useful," Steve said, tapping him lightly on his uninjured side's shoulder. "And before you let yourself get too low, remember that you've earned your keg of wine, and a horse or suit of armour besides."

"I did, didn't I," the knight said, pleased, his youth shining through.

"That's the spirit," Steve said. "Now don't forget your gear before you head over to the stretcher bearers."

The men returned from body disposal as he did so, the man who had fought at Steve's other shoulder helping him on his way, and they settled in to wait for the next assault, if one ever came, or perhaps some other bit of cleverness. They would be waiting for a time, however, as the sun continued to rise with no sign of attention from the enemy save for the odd volley of arrows to keep them on their toes, and a dreadful boredom began to set in.

It was midmorning when that changed.

"Steve!" came the distant holler, coming from behind but growing closer. "Steve! Steve!"

Steve turned, something in his gut unpleasantly hot at the tone, and saw his squire. Robin was riding hard, heading right for the bridge, standing up in his saddle and waving as he shouted. Visions of enemy forces finding another crossing plagued his mind, and he hopped up onto the parapet to run along it, meeting Robin at the end of the bridge, the kid breathing heavily and his horse heaving.

"Take a breath," Steve ordered. "What is it?"

"Naerys - Naerys is in danger," Robin said, hands trembling with nerves and worry. "Cafferen's squire came to me with a message, said to pass it to you, he said one of his men had overheard a knight plotting to attack her today."

Steve's blood froze, colder than the ice he had come from. For a moment he considered it a lie, a way to draw him from the bridge to shame him or to aid the enemy, but he dismissed it. Even if it was, he would not risk it being true and doing nothing.

"Ren," he said, voice made distant by the thud of his heartbeat in his ears, "keep my banner raised. Keladry, you've got point. Take command."

Keladry nodded, unquestioning, and closed her visor, already moving to the head of the column, glaive at the ready. After a moment of hesitation, Thomas followed her.

"What? Ser-"

"Take the lad's horse at least-"

"You can't just-"

The reactions from the knights nearby were ignored in favour of removing his hammer from its harness, setting it down, spike driven into the dirt. Then he was gone, dust rising in his trail and knights gaping at the speed with which he disappeared.

They were not the only ones to be astonished by Lord America's sudden flight, and not only for the spectacle of a man in strong plate sprinting at what seemed a pace to shame a destrier, but that was surely their eyes betraying them. Those in position to see, nearby common soldiers and lords on a hill alike, had seen the rider approach beforehand, and they wondered. Some spoke disparagingly, some worried over the bridge defence, and some kept their thoughts to themselves, but all noticed his speed, even if they convinced themselves otherwise.

X

Steve reached the camp swiftly, startling the camp followers that were doing laundry by its edge. He looked them over in an instant, searching for his own people, but there were none to be seen. He hurried into the camp proper, slowly only enough that he could take the corners and bends without careening through a tent.

The lanes were quiet. Every fighting man was at the battle, preparing to join it, or standing watch over it beyond its borders. There were camp followers about, carrying out errands here and there, but they were spread throughout it, not occupying it in the same way it was when full. Steve saw lanes and roads without a soul to be seen, and couldn't help but picture someone with evil intent ambushing Naerys in one and dragging her out of sight, or worse, killing her outright.

He reached the section that his company had claimed, stopping in the sparring circle at its centre. "Naerys!?" he shouted. He listened, but there was no response, not even a stirring from within a tent. He stormed over to their tent, sticking his head inside, but there was still no sign of her, and he did not linger. If she was not there, she would be helping the medics.

His pulse continued to rise as he ran, heart hammering in a way that simple exercise could never achieve. If this was some plot, a lie, he would throttle the one responsible within an inch of their lives, he swore- a woman screamed, pain and terror mixed in together, off to the right, and he turned without a thought. He was going to hurt someone very badly. The clash of steel on steel rang out, and he ran faster.

When he arrived, it was already over.

Naerys lay on the ground, covered by a man in a gambeson, both of them still, and his heart stopped. But then she stirred, trying to lift the corpse off, and he breathed again. He was by her side without thought, throwing the body clear, and she met his eyes as she looked up, gasping.

"Steve."

"Naerys." For a long moment, he couldn't look away, but then he noticed the blood, wet on her cuirass and soaking into her shirt, and his heart stopped again.

"It's not mine," Naerys said, words almost tripping over themselves in her haste. "I'm fine, I'm unhurt. Steve." She reached up, putting her hand on the exposed portion of his cheek and pressing tight, showing that she was alive. "I'm here. I'm unhurt."

Steve put his hand over hers, but his gaze strayed to the corpse he had lifted off her, and he felt such a black rage rising in himself that he almost rose up to attack it.

"Steve," Naerys said, her hold on him tightening. "My lo- lord."

His pulse, slowly easing, rocketed off again as he heard the word she had first meant to say.

"The others, are they well?" Naerys asked quickly, pulling her hand back to push herself up.

If she was content to ignore her near slip, he was happy to table it until a better moment too. A moment later her words registered, and he looked around, taking in the scene - he had seen Naerys on the ground and all other thought had fled his mind. They were in a lane, before an open tent that seemed to be a holding space for bandages, and they were not the only ones present. There were two more corpses, one with its throat cut neatly, and another that had died harder, covered in stab wounds and with Dodger still latched onto his calf, snarling deeply. Betty and some of her girls were there too, Jeyne and Jayne, as well as two of the women from the Reach - Rowan and Florys, sisters - but the first three were holding bloody daggers, and all were slumped down and breathing heavily. They were staring at the corpse, the shock that came with a first kill clear on their faces.

"What happened," Steve said. It was not a request.

Rowan was the first to find her voice. "They were waiting for us," she said. She was the one whose face had been battered by the so-called knights who had first taken her from the Reach camp, and she had come to be something of a leader to the women who had elected to stay with Steve's company. "In the tent." Perhaps it was the shock, but she seemed resigned by the attack, not surprised.

Steve rose with Naerys, one hand out to steady her, but she didn't need it. Her sword lay in the dirt nearby, and she took it up. It was wet with blood.

"How are you here?" Betty asked. She remained kneeling, legs trembling minutely, but she had gathered Jeyne and Jayne to herself. All were pale as adrenaline faded, and they were beginning to shiver.

"Cafferen - his squire carried a warning to Robin - so I came as quick as I could," Steve said. There was still blood on his armour from the earlier fight, and his eyes flicked around, watching for threats. "They can hold without me. This was more…important." He slowed as his gaze flicked over the face of the man that Dodger was still tearing at. He knew that face.

Steve kicked over the body he had removed from Naerys, ignoring the hole in his chest to look at his face, and then inspected the man with the cut throat. He knew them both.

They had been part of the group that had tried to steal away with the Rowan and Florys and the others for a rape rally.

"Are those…?" Naerys asked, joining him. Her sword was still held at the ready.

"Naerys," he said. His hand was on her shoulder, reassuring himself, but he couldn't remember putting it there. "You know what to do. I have to see someone about something." He knew distantly that there was something else he needed to do, but he was struggling to keep that thought in mind as he felt his anger rising in an unstoppable tide.

X

Steve's thoughts were cold as he ran. The anger was there, but it was isolated, buried under a shifting glacier. It would reach its target, but until then it would wait. He would assess the battle, and then decide on the path he would take. The result would be the same.

The field of battle had changed in the short time he had left it. The river battle was much as it was, but the bridge - the bridge was a mass of men, bleeding and dying as they fought over inches. The Reach had pushed hard in his absence, and more knights had joined the defence. He felt a small disappointment. He had wanted to go straight to Robert's position, but this took precedence. The rise and fall of Keladry's glaive caught his eye, but then he was too close to the river to see over the heads of the knights.

He slowed as he neared the bridge, and he ripped his hammer from the ground as he passed it. Then he was at the defenders, but his stride did not waver.

"Move," Steve said, and something in his voice pricked at the minds of men over the sound of death and combat, and they moved.

Knights stepped to the side as he advanced, implacable, a path down the centre of the bridge opening for him. Ren watched him go by, an eager hunger on her face, still holding his banner high. When he reached the front he saw four knights holding the line, even as they were forced to give way slowly. Those behind them would step forward to catch blows and give aid as they could, but the Reachmen were pressing hard, and as he watched the knight to Keladry's right was stabbed in the elbow, rondel knife penetrating the thin plates there, and he fell back, those with him giving way so that he could be replaced.

Steve stepped forward and crushed the skull of the Reach knight to stab him like a grape. Before the body realised it was dead he was stepping forward, kicking it into the next man and sweeping his hammer across his side of the bridge. Three men fell, and he moved into the space they left, killing a man that had just taken the butt of Keladry's glaive to his face. Hammer swept out again, knocking two men from the bridge and into the water below, and then he was taking his place at the point of the defence, Kel sliding into her spot at his right.

The mood of the attackers changed as those at the front realised who had returned and now stood before them. It wasn't despair, but it was a near physical thing that swept through them, a realisation that needed no words. Men stepped forward, and men died, but this day Lord America was not content to let them come to him. This time he stepped up to meet them, and with every sweep of his hammer and strike of his shield, they died.

The assault did not continue for long. When it was over, Steve turned to Keladry, ignoring the feel of blood dripping down his face.

"Can you hold?" he asked her.

"I can," she said.

"After that, I don't think they'll come back for a while," Thomas said nearby. He was clutching at his ribs, where there was a dent in his armour.

Steve glanced at him, only nodding. "Good." He turned his back on the last of the fleeing Reachmen to stride back across the bridge. Knights got out of his way without needing to be told, and muttering rose in his wake, concerned and wary. He ignored it. He had to see a lord about a knight.

It takes a special kind of fool to see all that Steve has done, physically, mentally to the enemy, and to gather information, and go: "nothing bad will happen if I send people against his girlfriend."

Wow... And the Darwin award goes to! Not only does he know of how much of a force of nature he's pissing of but this guy's also great friends with Robert Baratheon, but also volunteering, meaning the only thing keeping him fighting is his word, and who do you think he will pick if Robert has to chose between you? (Hint - it's going to be the super soldier)
I don't even think Steves just going to kill him, he's going to make an EXAMPLE of him.
I honestly think he's going to fight him unarmed and unarmored and utterly DECIMATE him. Heck, might not even kill him, just cripple him in ways there's no way to recover from and leave him to suffer as an example of why you don't fuck with Captain American and those he cares about.

I'm forgetful...remind me who the jackass who is about to receive his Darwin award is?

Gotta love Steve's take on things:
  1. Receive message
  2. Put weapon down because you don't need it to kill a bunch of rapists
  3. Find rapists. Oh good, they're dead. Wait, they belong to Darwin-award-winner-guy?
  4. Best check in on the bridge real quick.
  5. Okay, bridge dealt with. Gotta go deliver this guy his award.
Very practical guy, our Steve. Good multitasker.

The Battle of Mastford Bridge 7
The Baratheon stag and its retinue of banners flew atop a nearby hillock, positioned to observe the battlefield, and Steve began stalking towards it. As he passed the wooden barricades closest to the bridge, Robin left the archers behind them to join him, horse following behind him.

"Did you - are they ok?" the squire asked, brows drawn tight together.

"They're fine," Steve said. "No injuries. Tell me about the message you were sent."

Robin would have let out a sigh as worry and fear eased if not for his haste to keep up with Steve. "Addam - Cafferen's squire - said his knightmaster had sent him with a message for you, that one of his men had heard some knights plotting to attack Naerys today while they were on rest. I got Scruffy and came quick as I could."

Steve's frown grew as he considered it. There was likely some bit of propriety or scheming that had the warning passed through their squires, but if there was he didn't know enough to say.

"I know Cafferen has been a thorn, but I didn't want to risk it being true and not-"

"You did right," Steve said. "Your judgement was sound. The knights are dead, but even if it had been a lie you would have made the right call."

"Then there were - how many?" Robin asked.

"Three. They caught Naerys with Betty and some others, but they weren't expecting them to fight back and now they're dead," Steve said. He couldn't help but imagine what might have been - did they mean to just kill them, or drag them off for whatever sick purpose? His stride quickened. "Lyanna wasn't involved."

"Who did it?" Robin asked, anger colouring his voice now that the fear was passing.

"I'm about to find out," Steve said. They were closing in on the hillock now, and he found his hands curling into fists. "And so are they."

The gathered lords and knights had watched him approach, and as he reached them they found their mounts reacting to the scent of battle that lay heavy upon him. Trained for war they might have been, they still shied away as he reached them, requiring their riders to steady them.

"Robert," Steve said, as he came to a stop atop the hillock. His tone was perhaps less polite than it could have been. "Lord Baratheon," he corrected himself.

The nobles present didn't have time to do more than shift in slight consternation at the address before their lord responded. "Lord America," he said, staring down at him with a gaze that wasn't wary, but was watchful all the same. His antlered helm was absent, as was his hammer, some squire likely minding them. "Saw you took a break for once. Is all well?"

Steve's nostrils flared as he clenched his jaw, the cold anger he had grasped tight still roused by the fight. "No. All is not well. Three knights just tried to assault my - Naerys." His eyes flicked along the nobles present; he knew most, and Cafferen was there, but Samuel wasn't, likely still managing things at the camp.

"Shit," Robert said, the reaction unthinking. He coughed. "What happened to them? The knights?"

"They died."

"Good," Robert said, scowling. "Problem sorted then?"

A man a short way down the line cleared his throat. He had a dark beard, and his blue shield had what looked like three brass pins or buckles on it. "The worth of Lord America's word is of course clear, but might we know what transpired?"

Robert held back a wince and looked to Steve, invitation to speak clear.

"I received a message from Lord Cafferen, during a lull between assaults," Steve said, and his words caused a stir, many men glancing at the lord named. "The message said that my people were in danger. I left my second in command to hold the bridge, and the danger was dealt with. Now I'm here." Courtly manners and chivalry - the performance of it all threatened to see his lip curl and his patience fray. He could still hear men fighting and dying at the river, and he found his gaze pinned on Cafferen. The man knew things, and he would have answers. Had he not deliberately sought out calm, he might have done something inadvisable.

Robert grimaced, looking very much like he wanted to let out a sigh. "I am pleased that you have brought this to me," he said, words lacking his usual unthinking charisma. "Who witnessed the attack?"

"No one, besides my people," Steve said. "The knights were waiting for them when they went to get more supplies for the medical tent." At his side, Robin shifted, adjusting the bow that hung from his shoulder.

"Who were these knights?" Robert asked.

"I don't know their names," Steve said. "They were hedge knights."

Something eased in the gathering. "Well, as Lord Buckler said, we know the worth of your word," Robert said. "I'm satisfied that justice has been done."

"I'm not," Steve said, and the ease that was beginning to settle on the lords evaporated. He swiped away a bead of blood trailing past the corner of his eye, but in doing so he could tell he'd only smeared it across his cheek.

"What would you have of me?" Robert asked him.

"Answers," Steve said, voice flat. "Lord Cafferen had his squire rush a message to me through mine in the middle of battle. I want to know what he knows." The knights he had dealt with back at the Blueburn were far more than three, and he was not going to gamble Naerys' safety, nor anyone else's, on the chance that they were the only ones willing to pull what they had.

This seemed to settle Robert, for all his lords were divided on it. "Come on," he said with a grunt, "let's talk about this properly. Cafferen." He twitched at his reins, pulling his mount around, and his retinue found themselves shifting to make way. Steve followed the lord paramount, Cafferen nudged onwards by expectation, and the group moved away from the slope.

When they reached what might be the middle of the small peak, Robert dismounted, and all present followed. There was a flurry of activity from a nearby group of squires and servants that had been hidden from view, coming to retrieve horses and get them out of the way, and the once long yellow grass around them was stamped flat. When it was done, Robert stood with Cafferen and Steve in the middle of a circle of lords and knights.

"Let's hear it," Robert said, arms crossed and waiting.

"My lord. Lord America," Cafferen said, inclining his head to both in turn. "This is a rather more public matter than I had hoped it would be."

"Why's that?" Steve asked, watching him closely. His temper was leashed now, the ardour of battle cooled now that the pleasantries were over and he could get answers.

"I don't like you," Cafferen said bluntly, resettling his helm under one arm. "You don't follow our ways, and you don't understand the insult you give through your insistence on inserting yourself into matters that are another's to deal with."

Steve said nothing, waiting and watching.

Cafferen spread his arms slightly. "However, you are a warrior possibly beyond any we have in this army, and we are at war. I would be a poor bannerman to Lord Baratheon if I ignored something that might impact your ability to fight with us."

The man wasn't lying, but Steve had been misdirected by the likes of Nick and Natasha before. He would listen to his gut. "You said one of your men had overheard the plot to attack my people," he said. "I want to speak with your witness."

"I can send for him, but he is not close to hand," Cafferen warned.

"I'll wait."

A glance to Robert received a short nod, and then Cafferen was speaking with his squire, the teen riding hard away from the river.

They settled in to wait, an uncomfortable silence threatening to descend on the gathering. Few seemed to know how to handle it; one man covered in the viscera of battle staring near unblinkingly at one of their own after they had watched him crush an assault almost on his lonesome.

"Your lady is fine, isn't she?" Robert said, half to confirm and half to break the silence.

"I wouldn't be this calm if she wasn't," Steve said.

"Hate to see him angry," someone at the back whispered to the man next to him, almost too quiet to hear even for Steve.

"Good, good," Robert said, shifting his weight. "These knights, did they bear any colours?"

"They weren't dressed for battle," Steve said, finally giving Cafferen a reprieve as he turned to face Robert.

"You are sure they were knights?" a man asked, lord of some middling holdfast near the Wendwater. "Not common knaves?"

"I'm sure," Steve said, and when the man opened his mouth again he cut him off. "I recognised them from the group of knights that my men stopped from stealing off with a group of women to gang rape." The look he sent Cafferen's way might well have been made from ice. "Just one of those things I insist on inserting myself into, I guess."

Cafferen grimaced, but said nothing, and the group around them absorbed this new information, interest piqued. Perhaps there was something more to this than a woman caught out where she ought not to be.

Trumpets rang out across the river, drawing their attention. A new group was forming up to make an attempt on the bridge, heavily armoured infantry, though they weren't knights. Leading them was a large man holding a large axe, the size difference between him and a normal man obvious even at a distance.

Cafferen looked to Steve, then to Robert, and he wasn't the only one.

"Robin, I want the leader of that group dead before he reaches the bridge," Steve told his squire.

There were several looks askance, but Robin didn't hesitate. "Yes ser." Scruffy was mounted smoothly, and then he was riding for the river.

The group shifted, as those who cared to watch moved to do so. As the enemy group closed in on the bridge, Robin was already there waiting, setting down some arrows on the end of the parapet. He would be shooting past the knights holding it, exposed if any foe cared to look, but the distant archers were shooting into the men holding the banks, and they had no time to spare for him even had they noticed.

The boy that had come in third at Harrenhal might have doubted himself, but Robin was no longer that boy. As his target approached, he drew and loosed his arrow, a second already on its way and a third strung before it hit. They were not needed, the first arrow hitting the large axeman right in the helm, the shaft splintering as it hit and driving through the eye slit. The man dropped, dead.

Someone swore in amazement, but Steve just nodded. Robin had put the work in, and raw ability had been honed into talent. The reed ring that he had retrieved after it bested him at Harrenhal has proven a fine challenge, but it had been overcome.

Demoralised before it could even begin its assault, the group was repelled handily, and by the time Robin was trotting back to them, Keladry was giving the usual orders for the disposal of enemy corpses. If the bowyer's son from King's Landing was smirking before the group of nobles as he returned, none commented.

Steve realised there was probably some dick-measuring to be read from his order and Robin's actions, but frankly he didn't have time for it. Cafferen's squire was returning, and there was a man following him in well used plate. The witness was another hedge knight, and again Steve recognised him. He felt his head tilting forward, like a bull lowering its head to charge. This man had also been part of the group Walt had stopped, that day by the Blueburn.

At Cafferen's gesture, the hedge knight stepped through the circle of lords and knights, swallowing as he joined them in the middle, and he was not nearly so comfortable. "My lords," he said, Adam's apple bobbing. He gave Steve one look, taking in the drying blood and bits of brain matter on him and immediately looked away. If not for the fear he wore plainly, some might have called him handsome.

"Lord America has questions for you. He wishes to hear for himself what you told me this morning, as we marched to battle," Cafferen said, voice even and reassuring.

The knight's anxious gaze darted around the circle, from Cafferen to Robert to Steve and back, before he nodded jerkily. "Right. Yes my lord."

Steve stared at him, waiting.

"It were last night," the man began, speaking to Robert more than anyone, "that I heard it, I mean. I thought it nothing, just talk, but then this morn' I thought to myself 'what if it weren't', so I approached my lord Cafferen."

"What did you hear." Steve's words were an order more than a question.

"Just talk at first, honest, about how women's place isn't on the march," the man said, speaking quickly now. "But then one started talking about how maybe they ought to show people that, what with their rest day today." He swallowed again. "I told Lord Cafferen this morning."

Robert frowned.

"I'm not hearing any names," Steve said idly. He began to rub his thumb over the back of his other gauntlet, metal scraping on metal and dried blood flaking off with it.

"Adrian Dan and Hobb," he said in a rush.

"Adrian, Dan, and Hobb," Steve mused. Around him, the circle was quiet, but still there was the distant clash of metal and pain. "No house names? Not even a Storm?"

The man shook his head.

"And you? What's your name?" Steve asked.

The more casually Steve spoke, the more the man seemed to fear him. "Jared."

"Jared," Steve said. "You're telling me that three hedge knights, three men without any backing, decided that they were going to assault my people, my partner? They just decided that they were going to make an enemy out of me for no reason, for no gain? Is that what you're telling me?"

Jared tried to swallow again, but his throat was dry. He managed a nod.

"I see," Steve said, looking away, considering. "Brave of you though."

"What?" Jared asked, startled out of his silence.

"Brave of you," Steve repeated himself. "Must have been hard to go against your pals like that, turning them in."

Lords leaned in, eager, sensing blood. Robert's frown was slowly becoming something darker.

Jared could only shake his head.

Steve smiled, but there was nothing friendly about it. "No, come on now, don't deny it. You were so chummy with them, after that little skirmish at Blueburn. You know, when you were all working together to take those women off to be raped." His tone was easy, a jarring contrast to the words he spoke. "You didn't think I'd forgotten your face, did you?"

"I did not - I have never -" but he couldn't get the words out.

"I'm glad to see you turning over a new leaf," Steve told him as he leaned in, as if he was confiding something in just him, like they were standing alone. "But given how we know you were all such good friends, how about you tell me who really put them up to this."

The hedge knight broke. "It were Ser Kemmet Swiftback, he put them up to it, he heard them same as I did, last-"

"Kemmet, son of Tymbal? That Swiftback?!" Cafferen interrupted, fury blooming on his face - but it was not directed at Jared.

Jared nodded hurriedly. "Aye my lord."

"He is a landed knight sworn to me," Cafferen said, incensed, eyes narrowed to slits. "He has besmirched my name. I will have his confession, and recompense."

Steve stared at the lord. The fury and shock was genuine, he could tell - but he had still interrupted Jared before he could reveal something. Last - what? Last night? And the name, it was not one he knew, but he could see how the pieces fit together, and his gut told him the face that came to mind was the right one.

Cafferen was still speaking. "My Lord Baratheon, I beg your leave to bring this man before you, so that the truth may out."

"Bring him to me," Robert said, voice low and hard. His fists were clenching, and while Cafferen's fury was loud, his own was quiet, and all the more dangerous for it. He glanced at Steve, and gave a short nod.

Cafferen was already storming away, making for his horse, and men stepped aside for him.

"Kemmet. Who is he?" Steve asked of Robert.

"You crushed his hand, after the Battle at Blueburn," Robert told him.

Steve didn't answer, his suspicion confirmed. Some people just didn't learn.

Well, if the first lesson didn't take, he'd just give him another.

"You didn't tell Cafferen that his man put them up to it, did you," Steve said.

Jared shook his head, clenching his jaw. "If I did, and Swiftback found out…"

"He's going to find out now," Silveraxe remarked from the watchers.

A nod was his answer, but Jared seemed to be mastering his fear, and Steve thought he knew why. It was much harder to take revenge on the man that sold you out when you were about to be dead, after all.

There was no attack on the bridge as they waited this time, though the men pushing and defending on both sides were swapped out for fresh men, bodies left to be taken by the river or pulled back from the bank. Eventually Cafferen returned, but he did not return alone. Lord Errol rode at his side, and a squad of six men came with them. Steve's gaze narrowed in on one of them, and he watched as they came to the top of the hillock. There was no wariness in Kemmet, as if he thought he was just another man chosen at random to escort Samuel to the command point. It was not until they dismounted that things changed.

"Disarm him," Lord Errol commanded of his men, eyebrows bristling with anger.

Kemmet wasn't read in, but the others were. He hardly had time to register his surprise before his sword belt had been cut from him, his war pick and rondel knife plucked by quick hands, and then another had forced him to kneel with a kick to the back of his knee. He was dragged into the middle of the gathering before he could recover.

"What is the meaning of this?" Kemmet raged, struggling, before his mind caught up with him. "Lord Cafferen? Lord Errol?" he asked. He looked past them. "Lord Baratheon?"

It was none of them who answered first, however. "The men you sent after my people are dead," Steve said, tone easy, though his eyes told the truth of his feelings.

Kemmet blinked, scarred and weathered face flicking from shock to dismay to confusion too fast for most to see. "What?!"

"Your pals, Adrian, Dan, and Hobb," Steve said. "They're dead."

"You admit to slaying good Stormland knights?" Kemmet asked, incredulous. He took the chance to glance quickly at their audience, watching for the reaction to his words.

"Oh, I didn't touch them," Steve said. "My lady killed two. Some of my laundry women and my dog got the other."

More than one person laughed, and Kemmet gaped at him, but only for a moment. He turned to his overlords. "I demand an explanation."

"Kemmet Swiftback," Robert rumbled. "You are accused of sending men to assault Lady Naerys Waters at a time that all honourable men were engaged in service against the enemy. What do you say?"

"Lady- by whose accusation?" Kemmet demanded.

"Ser Jared of -" Robert paused for a moment, glancing at Cafferen.

"The Rainwood," Cafferen offered quickly.

"- and Lord America," Robert finished.

"I say they are liars," Kemmet said immediately. It did not have the response he might have hoped for.

Someone snorted, and Robert's brows grew thunderous. "Your words are noted," he said coldly.

"You believe a hedge knight and a fucking foreign savage over me?" Kemmet said. He tried to rise to his feet, only to be kept in place by the man behind him. "I have been standing in defence of the camp all morning! When would I have had time to bother with some chit?"

Robert looked to be a hair away from losing his temper, but Samuel stepped in first.

"The three slain knights are known to follow you, and you have offered nothing but bluster in your own defence," the old lord said. "Have you anything of note to say?"

Kemmet snarled, glaring at Cafferen, who met him with a glare of his own. "I demand a tr-" he cut himself off, gaze jerking to Steve.

For a moment, Steve was tempted. He had caught the man cold, twice, and if this was his behaviour while at war, surrounded by peers and superiors, he didn't want to think of how he treated those under his power in his home. But then he remembered a conversation with Robert about politics, and his gaze was drawn to Samuel. The old lord gave him a shallow nod, thankful.

"If you are to face anyone, it will be me," Cafferen was saying, speaking down to his sworn knight.

"No," Robert said. "It won't be." He had mastered his temper, at least for the moment, but it only seemed to have made him more wroth with the man himself.

Kemmet sagged, the fight going out of him.

"Drag him away, clap him in the stocks," Robert told the soldiers that had come with him. "Strip him of his steel, and find his coin. It's all going to Lady Naerys."

"I would have him stripped of his land, also," Cafferen said.

"As a man sworn to you, that is your right," Robert told him. He glanced at Samuel, and the man nodded.

At this, Kemmet stirred. "The black, I'll take the black."

"No you won't," Robert told him, before Steve could do more than start to scowl. He jerked his head in silent command, and the unresisting Kemmet was dragged to the horse he had ridden in on, before being bound and thrown over its back.

Steve watched as the disgraced knight was taken away, unsure of how to feel. Had he come across the man alone after discovering his part in things, he would have killed him where he stood. Two chances was more than enough. But as it was, he was left unsatisfied, like he had been robbed of closure.

"Are you satisfied, Lord America?" Samuel asked him, formal and straight backed.

Steve didn't have to look around to know the eyes of Robert's retinue were still on him. "I am. I appreciate your judgement, Lord Baratheon."

Robert grimaced, but he knew his part. "For the services you have rendered me, it was only right that I hear you."

Steve managed to incline his head, but he was suddenly very done with it all, the scent of blood thick in his nose. All he wanted to do was go to Naerys, but he still had a long day ahead of him. He turned back to the river, Robin following at his shoulder.

X

There were no more attacks on the bridge that day. The Reachmen could not force the Stormlanders from their positions no matter their effort, and the day wore on, men fighting and dying over inches. Those on the bridge were left to watch, unable to impact the battle, and Steve found himself wishing for his bow. After their early attack that morning, the Reach was the first to quit the field, pulling back under a ragged shower of arrows, and the Stormlanders were happy to see them go. All were eager to get back to camp, for all that a new piece of gossip was slowly starting to sweep through the army.

Steve cared little for twisting gossip, however. Keladry had been left to Toby's care, having earned more than a few bruises in her time leading the defence of the bridge, and Robin had been sent to give Walt a proper accounting of the day's events, but he was on his way to take care of something he should have done immediately.

For all that the work of the day was done, the sun was still shining, and it was only mid-afternoon when Steve and Naerys rode out from camp together, ahorse Brooklyn and Swiftstride. The camp was beginning to liven up, but that was not something either of them were in the mood to be part of, and they left it behind, riding upstream.

It did not take them long to notice their tail, but it was only Osric and his squad, trailing along well out of earshot and making no move to catch up. Steve could already tell that any order to have them turn back would be politely refused, and so they rode on, searching for a spot he had found during the scouting to ensure there were no other crossings nearby.

They found it a short while later, a deep, narrow point in the river with a dense growth of trees on either side. Naerys dismounted to lead her mount in, and Steve paused only long enough to make sure that his troops got the hint that they were not to join them, and then he was dismounting to follow.

When he reached the riverbank, he found Swiftstride tied off to a tree in reach of the water, and a pile of abandoned clothes next to him. Naerys was already in the water, enjoying the shaded swimming hole as she floated along on her back, eyes closed. The faint burbling of the river and the odd bit of birdsong was a soothing backdrop, and he mirrored her in stripping to his underclothes, before stepping into the water.

The water was cool, though not cold, not to him, and he went about scrubbing the lingering traces of battle from himself. He was rubbing his hands through his hair when he felt warm hands on his back, and then Naerys was holding him, her head resting between his shoulder blades. He stilled.

"I'm sorry." It was the first words they had spoken since he had asked her to follow him.

Her breath was warm against his skin. "You didn't put me in any danger I haven't always been in, Steve. You taught me everything I used to slit his throat."

"No. I'm sorry for leaving you after. I should have stayed with you."

Naerys tightened her arms around his ribs. "Maybe. But you had to get back to the bridge, and helping the others helped me too." The cloth of her breast band rubbed against his back.

"Are they ok?"

"It's not a new danger. I think it did Rowan and Florys well to see them killed," Naerys said. "They were asking Betty about the training you offer."

"I hope they join," Steve said, keeping his voice quiet. "If the girls hadn't been with you…"

"I am fine, Steve. I'm unhurt. The armour you bought me and the skills you taught me kept me alive."

Hearing the words she had spoken earlier took him back to the terrible moment he had thought her dead, and his pulse quickened. She felt it, and pressed a kiss against his spine.

"When I thought they had hurt you - I haven't been that angry in a long time."

"I saw," she murmured. She hesitated, her touch on him stilling. "Did you lose - was that how Peggy - ?"

Steve sighed. "No, she didn't…I didn't lose her to battle. Not like that."

"The look on your face, I thought maybe you had," Naerys said.

"I've lost people to many things," Steve admitted. "Battle, mistakes, time…it still terrifies me."

She said nothing, but her hold on him loosened, one hand going to his shoulder to pull him around.

Steve let himself be spun in place, coming face to face with his partner. There weren't many things he had been envious of Tony for, but his connection with Pepper had been one of them, and now that he had something a little like it for himself, he could tell he had been right to do so.

Naerys took his face in her hands, and kissed him deeply. He responded in kind as she supported herself by wrapping her legs around his hips, and his hands went to her pert rear, squeezing and kneading. She smiled into their kiss, before breaking it, looking down at him. Her hair was slicked back and wet, and as he watched a droplet of water ran down her neck and across her collarbone.

"I am fine," she told him again. "You did not do anything you would regret. We are both safe, and once this battle is over, we will ride north. On the way, you will take a castle that has a bedroom with silk sheets, and we will finally have a night to ourselves and I will ride you like a prize stallion," she said firmly, leaving no room for argument. She gave a flex of her core, pressing herself into him and driving any foolish thoughts of doing so from his mind.

"That sounds like a good idea," Steve said, even as he teased at the knot at the back of her breast band. The quickening of her breath told him clearly that she would make no protest if he did more than that, but he had not gotten where he was by being weak willed, and they had both made their desires clear, in more ways than one. His hand went back to supporting her with a squeeze. "Maybe you should be in charge."

"Oh Steve," she said, smirking down at him. "When did you start thinking I wasn't already?" She stole another kiss, and there was no more talking for a time.

By the time they left the river behind, the sky was beginning to turn orange, and their fingers were well and truly pruning. Naerys was first out, and he was happy to watch her go, but when it was his turn he couldn't help but wince, adjusting himself with care.

"What's wrong, Steve?" Naerys asked, the purple in her eyes darkening with mischief and false concern. "Has the cold made you stiff?"

"Don't think I won't take you over my knee," he warned, and not for the first time, still drinking in the sight of her.

She only raised her chin in challenge, untying her breast band with one hand, looking him dead in the eye as she let it fall free so she could wring it out. "You keep making me promises, my lord."

Steve couldn't help but swallow as he watched her tie it anew, unable to call a response to mind.

Naerys was gracious in her victory, and they did not depart quite as quickly as they might have. The sky was well and truly cast in orange by the time they found their clothes once more and mounted their horses, but neither could call it anything but an afternoon well spent, spirits buoyed and understandings reaffirmed.

Osric and his squad kept their distance as they fell in behind them once more, heading back to the camp. The battle was not over, but the day soon would be.

That was a delight.

I'm not sure the thing with the knights is over. It felt very much like there was more to it that Caffern was still covering up. My first thought is that he's the one putting it all in motion, but that doesn't seem to to track; he acknowledged that he'd be dumb to do anything that drove Steve off during a war.

The Battle of Mastford Bridge 8
There was no battle the next day, each force declining battle by silent accord, if for different reasons. The few dead were buried and rest was had, though the river gave them an advantage such that the fight at Blueburn had left them worse off afterwards, in both fatigue and wounded. That was not to say that there were none, but under the direction of the strange Myrman, the horror stories of battlefield barbers that men had heard from their fathers were failing to eventuate.

Having been standing at the ready for the past days, Steve's company had missed out on their exercise and weapon drills, and Walt spent the morning correcting that mistake. Humfrey found himself gifted the axe that Robin's victim had wielded, a fine, two handed thing with a curving beard and a spike at its back. He was much impressed with it, and so were his friends to see him wield it. Between that and the crossbow that Lyanna had been gifted, the troops were beginning to joke that Steve would have them all outfitted with notable weapons by the end of the war. If it meant getting the same extra attention from Walt and Keladry in its training, however, there were those who would think twice before accepting a similar offer.

It was mid morning by the time the troops finished their exercises, filtering back through the camp to their tents. On their way they passed by the camp follower's section, where all the small and thankless tasks like laundry and supply distribution took place. It was also where Steve had spent his morning, loitering with intent. By that stage, there were few in the army who had not heard of the events of the day prior, and the sight of the blond giant carving away at a piece of wood as he watched over mere camp followers sent a certain message.

"Ser," Hugo said, breaking off from the cheerful conversation he'd been having with his friends. "You're not waiting for anything here?"

"Just keeping an eye on things," Steve said, whittling away with his knife. He was sitting on a bag of grains, just in the shadow of a tent. "How was training?"

"Osric knocked Talbert down," the big man said, resting his hand over the aforementioned man's head when the blond slinger joined him.

"And then Walt made me trip over my own feet right after," Osric said, ducking away.

"Good work Osric," Steve said, ignoring his words. "Talbert knows his way around a spear."

The words gave a boost to the once goatherd, and he grinned.

"We can take over here, Ser," Hugo said, already taking a seat on a nearby barrel, spear resting against his shoulder.

Steve raised an unimpressed eyebrow.

"We need a break anyway," Osric agreed, finding a seat of his own.

Knowing a lost cause when he saw one, Steve tucked away his delicate carving and accepted his defeat, ignoring the vaguely hypocritical feeling that descended on him for some unknown reason. "I'll have food and drink sent to you. Get some to Betty and the girls."

"Aye Ser," they chorused.

Steve joined the rest of his men heading back to their section of the camp, ambling along behind. For all that he had spent the morning sitting around in the shade, he was pleased with his progress, both in the silent message he had sent and with his carvings. Now was as good a time as any to check on the progress his companions had made.

X

The six of them sat at the table in the main 'room' of Steve's tent, three to a side. Though the sounds of roughhousing and camp life came from beyond the canvas walls, within was quieter, more serious topics under discussion.

"...and he's still in the stocks," Robin reported. "There's a guard on him that rotated out, so I don't think he's going anywhere soon."

Steve nodded, but it was Naerys who spoke. "Good. I may take a stroll there later."

"Take the washerwomen with you," Walt grunted, picking at his fingernails with a knife.

Naerys smiled, a mean thing, but justified.

"Kemmet is under control then," Steve said. "What about his friends?"

"None seem to support him," Keladry reported. Unlike the others in casual clothing, she still wore her gambeson, as was her habit. "A knight whose lands bordered his was complaining loudly about him this morning, and his lackeys are hiding their faces."

"What about the men who came upon us after the- afterwards?" Naerys asked.

Shortly after Steve's departure, a small group of men had stumbled across the scene of the ambush, and had been quick to render aid.

"Any luck, Lyanna?" Steve asked.

"Yeah," Lyanna said, still pulling her hair out of the unusual style she had put it in for the morning. "They were there 'cause they were injured on the march north, healed but not ready to stand in ranks yet." She tugged at a stubborn bit of braid. "From all over, but one was a Fawnton man. They were on their way to help at the medic tent."

Steve drummed a beat on the table with his fingers. Coincidence that they were nearby, happenstance that one of them was sworn to Cafferen. A thin link, but a link all the same. "They say anything that stuck out?"

Lyanna shrugged. "Just that they hoped 'Lady Naerys' was alright. I think they meant it."

"Hmm."

"Then it seems unlikely that we will see any trouble from Kemmet or his ilk," Naerys said, "but what about Cafferen?"

"He was making clear his disgust for the man, and the matter," Keladry said. She smoothed a lock of hair away behind her ear; it would need cutting soon. "What he says in private, I could not say."

There was quiet for a moment.

"I don't think Cafferen was behind it," Steve said, speaking slowly, "but I don't like it."

"You could go to Baratheon," Walt suggested.

"A gut feeling isn't evidence," Steve said.

"Do you need it?" the grizzled soldier asked. "Cafferen has what, a thousand men? If you tell the lords to choose between that thousand and you…"

"It wouldn't have to be the thousand, just Cafferen or Steve," Naerys said. Her arms were crossed, and she tapped a single finger on one bicep as she considered.

Steve shook his head, reining in a grimace.

"What don't you like about it?" Lyanna asked, leaning in. Next to her, Robin mirrored the movement unconsciously.

"Cafferen's man, Jared, said he overheard them plotting last night," Steve said, "but then he sat on it until this morning."

"Coward then?" Walt offered, though he didn't sound convinced.

"Maybe. Or maybe he didn't," Steve said. "Cafferen was the one to mention that Jared told him that morning. Made a point of it, even."

"You think he was leading him," Naerys said. Her posture tightened. "Because he had been told the night before, but he waited."

"Maybe," Steve said. One hand flexed, as if around a throat.

"Hang on," Robin said, "what about Kemmet then? He - Cafferen - was proper angry when that came out."

"He may not have known he was involved," Keladry offered. "Three loosely affiliated hedge knights is a different matter to a sworn and landed knight."

"Too much we don't know," Steve said, letting out a sigh. "Not for sure."

"Then what do we do?" Robin asked, frustrated.

"We keep an eye out for each other," Steve said. "But otherwise, do as we were. None of the ladies go anywhere alone." Such was a given for any woman travelling with an army.

"But if he knew and didn't tell you until the morning-" Robin began to argue.

"-then he's a piss poor excuse for a man, but that doesn't mean I can go to Robert and ask for him to be clapped in the stocks next to Kemmet," Steve said, jaw set. "Not without evidence."

"You could," Walt suggested again.

"He won't," Naerys said, a strange mix of resigned and affectionate.

Steve gave her an apologetic look. "I know you were the one he endangered."

"If you were the same kind of noble that uses his power to get what he wants, you wouldn't be m- our Steve," Naerys said. She uncrossed her arms, laying a fond hand on his knee.

Walt grumbled, but it was only for the sake of it. "We wait for him to pull something, then."

"I don't think he will," Steve said, still judging with his gut, "but yes. Lyanna, keep half an eye on that Jared, of the Rainwood," Steve said. "If he turns up dead somewhere, let me know." If the only man that could say for sure when Cafferen had truly been warned of the danger was killed, he would take steps. Until then, he would watch, and wait.

"I will," Lyanna said, finally having gotten her hair back under control.

"Oh, and let's keep the details of this from Toby," Steve said, as a sudden worry occurred. "I don't want any accidents to happen." He glanced at Walt. "Or anything that isn't an accident."

Walt raised his hands up as if in surrender, and that was the end of serious matters. Robin and Lyanna were quick to leave, heads put together, while Walt and Keladry followed behind, already discussing some matter that had come up during the exercises of the morning. Steve and Naerys were left alone in the tent, a dangerous situation to be sure.

Naerys shifted from her chair, leaning against the table not quite directly in front of Steve. His hand went to her thigh, thumb smoothing across the fabric of her trousers.

"I can take care of him, if you need me to," Steve told her, looking up into her eyes. He wouldn't assassinate the man - but he wouldn't need to, either.

"I know," Naerys said, tracing circles on the back of his hand. "But I meant what I said."

Steve leaned in, laying a kiss on her other thigh.

She smothered a giggle, tickled, and tugged at his ear, before growing serious once more. "If I thought he was behind it…"

"You wouldn't have to ask," Steve said.

Naerys nodded once, but evidently thought that such matters had been dwelt on long enough, because she leaned down to plant her lips on his crown.

He seized his chance to blow a raspberry on her chest, and she drew back, shrieking. She swatted him on the head, even as she struggled to control herself. "Steve!"

"What?" Steve asked, guileless.

Naerys gave a hmph, but her only move was to shift slightly closer, setting one foot on the edge of his chair. "What is it you were carving at earlier? Did you run out of paint?"

"No, nothing like that. I just thought I'd try my hand at recreating an instrument from home," Steve said, producing the fruits of his labour that morning. It was certainly no figurine, and the first few attempts had been failures, but he had a good feeling about this one.

"Oh, what kind?" Naerys asked.

"You'll have to wait and see," Steve said. He felt an evil little grin threatening at his lips. He hadn't been sure it would be possible, but his efforts had produced what he thought was a half decent reed. Time would tell how suitable the material he used would be, and he needed more, but it was a start.

Naerys raised a brow, unimpressed. "I could make you tell me."

"Oh no. Don't. Stop." If the tone of his words hadn't been enough to make his thoughts clear, then the touch that was ghosting up her calf certainly did.

It took another ten minutes for them to emerge from the tent, and if either was a little ruffled, none of the troops present commented - though Ursa, passing through with a load of washing, needed no words, not with the expression she gave Naerys as they made eye contact.

X

The day continued on, a moment of calm in the war, though many dealt with it differently. Some were glad for it, taking the chance to do nothing or to catch up on things that had fallen behind - lessons, reading, letters - while others saw it as a frustrating delay, another day between them and their ultimate goals. Time passed at the same rate for all, no matter how they might see it differently, and eventually the sun began to sink lower in the sky. Firewood was distributed, still on hand even if those that gathered it had to ride further and further each day, and rations were given out. Those with privilege and power, or the luck to be one of Lord America's men, had wine to look forward to, but for most it was ale if they were lucky.

The dull orange sun was just touching the horizon when Steve's company were beginning their cleanup, and it was then that two cloaked strangers came to the section of the camp that had been claimed for the white star. At first there were mutterings and ill feeling as men moved to block their way, but then one of them raised their hood a touch, and they paused. The way was cleared, and directions given to their captain.

Steve was sat by one of the fires, in a circle of his men on stumps and logs. Yorick was there, as were his squad members Richard and Than, hedge knights both, but so were Willem and Ren, and Ortys too, now distinguishable from his twin by the scar over his eye that he lacked.

"... and look, I'm sure she might look real pretty, but what you need to consider is if five minutes of fun is worth months of burning every time you take a leak," Steve was saying to his men.

"She's real pretty though," Richard said, pepper and salt beard set in an expression of utter seriousness. "I ain't never seen a whore so pretty, and I spent a whole Gulltown tourney's winnings on a night at the brothel once."

"What if it were ten minutes?" Than asked, just as serious.

"Four minutes of foreplay and four of cuddling doesn't count," Steve told him, and the others roared and jeered.

It was at that point that the cloaked strangers arrived, and again there was a moment where those with Steve trended to scowling, already half rising to help these intruders on their way, but then the hoods of their cloaks were pulled back, and they stopped, falling back to their seats and dipping their heads.

"Robert," Steve said, raising his still mostly full wineskin to them. "Thomas. Snuck out, have we?"

Robert Baratheon, Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, let out a gusty sigh. He was dressed down to blend in, even if his boots gave him away. "If Samuel makes me double check one more supply count, I might - well," he said, shaking his head. Then he grinned. "Also, I heard you had Mace Tyrell's personal wine service hidden away here."

Fortune smiled on them, and there were a pair of extra skins on hand, and they were handed over as the two big men joined the circle.

"What about you Thomas?" Steve asked, nudging a bit of wood into a better position with his foot.

"Lord Errol sent me to watch over him," Thomas admitted, pulling the cork free with his teeth and taking a swig.

Robert paused mid draw. "You said you could sneak me out of it all."

"I did," Thomas said. "I just told Lord Errol what I was planning first."

"Skulduggery, from my own sworn man," Robert said with a wag of his finger, but the easy smile he wore made a lie of his words.

Thomas just shrugged, and if his thick frame and blue eyes weren't enough, his smile was the final nail for any who doubted any relation between the two men.

"What about you lads, how goes it?" Robert asked, looking to the others now. "I heard that mad marching song that greybeard had you carrying on with this morning."

"If we were to fight, I'd say I looked forward to it," Yorick said, putting himself forward after a slight pause where no one was game to answer. "But even another day of a stiff saddle arse is a respite from Walt."

"I don't blame you," Robert said. He clapped his cousin on the shoulder. "Thomas was telling me of the man after that little adventure through the Reach camp. Have you knighted him yet?" he asked, looking to Steve.

"He threatened to start cutting ears off if I tried it," Steve said. "Didn't specify whose."

"What about that other man of yours, Keladry?" he asked.

"I think it might be easier to get Walt to agree," Steve said. "Keladry doesn't think he's earned it."

Thomas pulled a face. "I've seen smallfolk fare worse against a field of wheat with their scythes than he did with his glaive on that bridge."

"Keladry is a monster," Ortys said, voice full of admiration, wine giving him the courage to speak up in such company. "That glaive of his isn't light, either."

Robert laughed, taking another draw of his wine. "I would think not! I saw him carve a man hip to shoulder yesterday, made me glad I brought the far-eye…"

Between Robert's easy manner and Steve's presence, the circle continued on comfortably, talking and boasting of this or that feat they had witnessed or achieved. Willem found himself cheeking the Stormlord over the size of his hammer, receiving a bellowing laugh in return, and it was not until a minute after he had spoken that he even realised what he had done. The sun crept lower, and soon it was the fire that was casting most of the light, sending shadows to dancing as a dozen other circles just like that one spent their evening in much the same way, soaking up the cheer and camaraderie.

As the night wore on and wineskins grew thin, the topics grew less and less serious, and believable. By the time Robert was boasting of the time he and Ned had snuck off to tip cows, drunk, only to be confronted by the bull of the herd and forced to wrestle it, the moon was starting to rise. It seemed to be a signal, and Yorick was the first to heed it, knowing well Steve's expectations for his squad leaders and the example they would set for the men.

It did not take long for the rest of the men to follow suit, and soon there were only three men left by the first. A quiet set in, but it was comfortable, and Steve took the chance to bank the flames, using a branch to shuffle the coals and embers around. They cast a dull red glow, enough for Steve to see clearly by even before considering the moon.

Robert let out a breath. "Much as I've liked this, I didn't just come here to get away from my work," he said.

Steve only looked to him, the burn of the coals reflected in his eyes.

"Swiftback isn't getting out of those stocks, not before we've sent Peake packing," Robert said. "All his wealth is going to your woman, and his line has lost their holding." He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "Does this satisfy you?"

The soldier did not not answer immediately. "...this punishment," he said, "is it typical?"

"No," Robert said. "He plotted harm, but did not achieve it. Stripping him of his holdings was a way for Cafferen to address the stain on his own reputation."

"So if he hadn't been sworn to Cafferen, he only would have had to pay a fine?" Steve asked. A frown began to steal its way across his face.

"He'd be dead, like as not," Robert said, shrugging.

Steve paused. "And that would be a lesser punishment?"

Now it was Robert's turn to blink. "Yes?"

"It is not easy to gain a holding, even one so small as a landed knight," Thomas said. He was staring into the fire. "Maybe his family has been in service to Fawnton since the Dance. Maybe an ancestor did a great deed. Whatever it was, he lost it, and like as not his family will never hold such a thing again."

Steve thought back to the suicidal commitment that the assaults on the bridge had displayed. Those men had been promised a knighthood and land to build on, and that had been enough to see them stepping over a carpet of corpses to get at him. "I see."

"He tried to avoid it by asking to take the Black, but that wasn't happening," Robert said. "So now he's a wandering knight again. Whenever he's let out of the stocks to wander, that is."

A slow nod was his answer. Steve was still coming to grips with the norms and values of this land, and every now and then he was still caught out by them, but he was learning. "Then yes. I am satisfied with your judgement."

"Good," Robert said, leaning back, knocking a fist on his knee. "Good. Samuel was pleased with it all; said you'd made his life much easier."

"It's a good thing we spoke about that when we did," Steve said lightly. He glanced at Thomas. "Robert, I'll be honest - if Naerys had been hurt, I wouldn't have come to you." His face was stone.

"Nor should you," Robert said, voice dropping to a black growl. "Nor should any man when his love is hurt. When I get my hands on that blighted Targaryen cunt - he took my parents, stole Lyanna, if they think this will be made right in a Great Council -" words failed him, and his hands found a branch the thickness of a man's arm. Cracks and splintering sounded as he gripped it tight, eyes dark with fury.

Steve and Thomas watched him, waiting for the sudden mood to pass. Both knew there was no point in trying to use words to calm him, and that any physical gesture would not be received well, even if for different reasons. Slowly, with difficulty, he mastered himself.

"No," Robert said, deliberate. "They are lucky you trained her."

"When you get Lyanna back, you could do the same," Steve said, satisfied that the young man had control of himself once more.

It spurred a smile from the Stormlord, faint, but still there. "I could." The branch he held was added to the fire in three parts, and he brushed splinters from his hands.

Quiet fell again, broken only by the crackling of the fire.

"We should return," Thomas at length, before glancing at Steve. "Lord Errol will have my hide if not."

"Aye, I suppose you're right," Robert said, grumbling, the last embers of his rage fading.

"Are you still set on that other thing…?" Thomas asked.

At that, Robert brightened. "That's right. Steve, I'll be joining you on the bridge come the morrow. Stag and Star will stand together, and we'll give the Reach a right buggering when they think to try us!"

"Guess we won't have to worry about them not stepping up tomorrow, then," Steve said. That would change things.

Robert only laughed, rising to his feet, and Thomas followed. Steve was soon left alone by the fire, staring into its depths as he thought.

At length, he sighed. Tomorrow would be bloody.

X

The bridge was slick with the blood and viscera of dozens, and dozens more still came, advancing towards certain death. Black stag on yellow and white star on blue stood tall on the bridge, proud and taunting. Thomas and Ren kept them steady in the third rank, and they seemed to serve as a siren song to the men of the Reach, drawing them towards the two men who stood at the front, hammers reaping a bloody toll through whoever dared to challenge them.

And challenge them they did.

Steve knew that a knighthood and land had been promised, but on that day the enemy came at them with such fury that he had to wonder if they'd been told he and Robert had been involved with their mothers as well. Men threw themselves at them, not even trying to slay them, only to busy their weapons so that another might strike them in the opening.

It was not enough.

Baratheon fury saw men pulped and crushed, hammer blows laughing at the attempts made to slow them, sweeping through the men that came before it and then the man next to them as well. Gore dripped from an antlered helm, missing several prongs now, but that was what happened when men threw their lives away trying to seize them, only for it to break off easily, leaving them with but a moment to regret before there was no thought at all. A man was seized by the throat and used to foul the strikes of two more, even as his hammer struck yet another foe from the bridge. Now and then the stag lord would fall to laughter, deep and booming, as he was swept up by his battle lust. His footing slipped, stone made too slick for metal by the blood he spilled, and he took a step forward, killing and killing…but for all his fury, he could not match the man beside him.

Men came before Lord America, and men died. It could not be called a fight - men simply stepped forward, were examined, and killed. They threw themselves at what they thought were openings, only to find that even with his hammer buried in a man's chest and his shield catching a blow aimed at the man beside him, the monster on the bridge could still break a man's neck with a kick to the head. Blue eyes stared out from a face splattered with blood and devoid of any emotion, let alone mercy. There was only the cold calculation of a super soldier let loose on an unsuspecting world, reaping the kind of bloody toll in the way that only one of his kind could. If there was any way for the walking dead to know, they would give prayers of thanks that he was the only one.

Steve put the top spike of his hammer through a man's head, pulling it back with such force that the curved spike on the back tore through another man's neck, and then he was bringing it back and around to launch a lunging knight off his feet and into the air. He came down hard on the bridge parapet, already dead, but in that time Steve had killed three more men who had hurled themselves at him. Again the bridge grew thick with corpses, and again they stepped forward.

A flurry of arrows rose from across the river, and Steve tracked them as he drove his shield through the bridge of a nasal helm and swept another two men from the bridge to the waters below. He tilted his head down to shield his face, ignoring the arrows as they showered down. He caught a mace with his shield, and redirected a war pick with the haft of his hammer, sight unneeded. A jump and two snap kicks saw their wielders dead, and he crushed the skull of another before he hit the ground.

They stood on wood now; they had advanced far enough that they had reached the washed out section of the bridge and the timber that had replaced it. It served better than stone to soak up the blood they spilled, but still it soon ran slick.

Men approached. Men died.

Robert made to step forward again, but a barked command broke him from his tunnel vision, and he looked to the man beside him. Reason intruded enough to rein his battlelust in, and he held firm. They had left a trail of blood and corpses behind them, enough to rout near any foe, if only they could see and understand it. Now holding firm, they soon would. Whatever Peake had promised them, it was not enough.

Slowly, the walking dead began to realise. For some it was too late, but they would convince those that came after. Bloody weapons and red hands could be ignored, but not when a man had to step over a small mound of corpses to reach their goal. The push began to falter.

Instinct had Steve look down, and he found himself meeting the gaze of another man looking up. There was a gap in the wood, and the man held a spear. The moment seemed to stretch out, even in the chaos of the fight, and then the man thrust his spear upwards.

Steve shifted, letting the speartip scrap along his greave, angling it away from his groin. He looked back to the fight that mattered, snapping the haft with a stomp.

Perhaps seeing the dismissive way he had dealt with it affected the foemen, or perhaps the bodies were finally enough to outweigh whatever prize had been promised. Perhaps it was the way Steve almost ignored a mace blow upon his shoulder, and headbutted the man to wield it, sending him to the ground, insensate. The Reachmen broke, knights and men-at-arms turning almost as one, fleeing in a tide. There was no barrier in those that stood behind them, for they were running as well, as if glad for a reason not to advance into the meat grinder that was the bridge held by stag and star.

Robert stumbled, grabbing onto the parapet for support as he heaved in huge breaths, as if his strength had only lasted so long as it was needed, but Steve's focus was elsewhere. The man he had headbutted was stirring, and he set his hammer down to take the man by the neck. He lifted him with one hand, ignoring his faint struggles.

"Nod if you can understand me," Steve told him, holding him up before himself, close.

Jerkily, the man nodded. He was a knight, and the front of his helm was dented from the force of the headbutt, a trickle of blood coming through the grill.

"I have a message for Peake," Steve continued. The blood splatter across his face and helm was less of a splatter and more of a coat, and it was beginning to dry in place, staining it red. A rivulet of sweat cleared a trail down one cheek. "Can you take it to him? Word for word?"

Again the knight nodded, but it was more frantic now, as if he feared the result should he be unable.

"I know you're a lily-livered worm, Peake, happy to send men to die so you might avoid danger, but the time has come for you to make a choice. Fight me and earn back some tiny hint of your manhood, or let it be known for all time what the name Peake really stands for. I'll even come and fight alone before your army if you're too much of a coward to come to the bridge."

"I'll tell him," the knight wheezed, voice strained more by fear than by the hold Steve had around his neck. "I'll tell him."

Steve said nothing, only releasing the man and stepping back. The knight stumbled, almost losing his feet, but he managed, turning to stagger away drunkenly. He was muttering under his breath, repeating the words Steve had said to him.

The super soldier watched him leave, almost statue-still. He had killed more at Blueburn, but the sheer butchery of the day had left an anger deep in his bones, and he had had enough. It was time to put an end to it all.

If Peake didn't accept his challenge on the morrow, he would just have to go to him instead.

Ye gods, it's like a Dynasty Warriors character with how much he's reaped.

I question if Peake has the mettle to walk to his own execution like that.

Although this has likely done wonders for Robert's own martial reputation, while he obviously isn't on the same level as Steve being there at his side in such a brutal slaughter will certainly cement his martial right to rule.

The Battle of Mastford Bridge 9
Fury tossed his head as he cantered over Mastford Bridge, white mane gleaming under the morning sun. The Stormlanders arranged on the banks of the Mander raised their voices to cheer him on his way, exulting the warrior on his back.

"Ameri-ca! Ameri-ca! Ameri-ca!" came the roar, rolling along the banks and across the fields.

Word had spread quickly of Steve's challenge the day before, inspiring the men to even greater heights, and with the way the Reach army had made no move to engage that morning, it was clear that Peake could no longer ignore the thrown gauntlet.

Knights clapped them on the shoulders as the two men trudged back over the gore-slicked stone, and squires came forward to help them once they made it through the impromptu honour guard. They let them, the fighting done for that day. Once they had been relieved of their weapons and given water, however, Robert waved them away, waiting until they stood alone on the bridge before he turned to the man beside him.

"Steve," he said. "What did he do?"

For a moment, Steve was quiet, considering. "He raped a smallfolk woman."

"Ah." Robert looked around, taking in the carnage they had wrought and the retreating foemen. "This will be remembered." He sucked in a breath. "Good."

Robin drew even with his knight master as they made their final approach to the Reach lines. His mount had a pair of bows on it, though his own was closer to hand, and he had been staring, hawkish, at the leader of the party waiting for them.

Steve didn't bother to caution him as they began to slow, coming to their welcoming party at a walk. The kid might have nursed a black hatred for the excuse of a man they were about to deal with, but it was cooled by the knowledge of what was about to happen to him.

Barely a stone's throw from the ranks of Reachmen, the two of them stared down their welcoming party. Peake was at its head, but almost a dozen lords had come with him. Steve didn't think they were there to offer their support; Peake's shoulders were stiff and one hand was already holding his sword hilt. The days since the battle had started had not been kind to him - the lines at the corners of his eyes had become more pronounced, and there were faint bags under his eyes.

"Reach lords," Steve said, glancing them over. "Peake."

Heads were inclined, but none spoke, still following Peake's lead. Lord Fossoway was one of them, and his eyes betrayed his amusement with the situation. For a long moment, Peake only stared Steve down, teeth clenched. An eagle cried somewhere overhead.

"Your message claimed you would come alone," Peake said at last, a thread of accusation clear in his voice. "Is your word so little?"

Steve made a point of looking from the group to his squire, then back. "Are you…threatened by him?"

Peake's lip curled as he seethed, his mood not helped by the faint huff of amusement from one of the lords with him.

"You might insist on lowering yourself with base insults-"

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries," Steve interrupted him. He had no time for noble games, not with this man. "Now state your terms, or bravely run away." His words spurred a ripple of disgust and pity, all of it aimed at the embattled lord.

A gauntlet creaked as it squeezed a hilt. "If I am to grant a duel to a foreign sellsword with no lineage, you will make it worth my while," Peake said, looking down his nose at him.

"I'd offer to tie my hands behind my back, but it's not going to make a difference," Steve said. Even as he spoke, he was growing sour. The taunting had been necessary, he could even admit that it had been fun, but now that Peake was before him, he was growing tired of it, and of him.

"Should I grant this to you, you will agree not to defend your line tomorrow, no matter the outcome," Peake said, ploughing on as he attempted to ignore the insult.

"No," Steve said flatly. "If you wanted to make demands you should've shown up the first time you were called instead of letting your men die for you like a coward."

Again Peake's grip tightened around his sword hilt, visibly holding back his first response. Given his conduct in the field, Steve would feel bad about calling him a coward, but it wasn't his behaviour in war that had given him cause to despise him.

They sat by the fire, the only two still awake. Smooth rasps rose about the crackle of the fire as Keladry worked at the blade of her glaive, a rare frown on her face.

"How is it?" Steve asked. He too was working away at something, wood shavings littering his feet.

"It could be worse," she said, making another pass. "The notch is small enough, even if it is noticeable to me."

"Didn't pick any more up on the bridge, at least," Steve said.

"I would have to misuse it terribly for typical steel to damage it as Tarly's sword did," Keladry said. "It was gifted to my mother by a prince of Yi Ti."

Steve had been told and heard whispers of the near mythical quality of Valyrian steel, of how the techniques to make more weapons like that of Taryl's Heartsbane had been lost. "Sounds like a story."

"It is," Keladry said. "I would beg my parents to tell it to me at bedtimes." She let out a sigh. "But I cannot boast of my family while I still hide my survival from them."

"One day," Steve said.

Keladry opened her mouth to respond, but closed it after a moment, conflicted.

"What was it like, fighting against a blade like that?" Steve asked.

"I dreamed of crossing blades with Valyrian steel, but never thought it would happen," Keladry said. "He was faster with it than he had any right to be, and on one of his strikes I swear I heard the air shiver."

"They're valuable, then?" Steve asked.

"Treasured far beyond their usefulness," Keladry said. "Houses steeped in poverty will refuse to give them up, and their histories are retold with pride."

"Huh," Steve said, thinking.

She put her whetstone to the side, turning to face him. "Why do you ask?"

Steve told her.

The time for talk was over. Both men had dismounted, and room had been made for the duel. The Reach lords had arranged themselves not behind their leader, but to one side, providing a clearer view to the soldiers watching nearby, and Robin had done similar. The wind rustled over what grass had not been trampled flat by marching boots, and the spectators hushed.

Peake had still not let go of his sword hilt, holding tight to it as if for reassurance. Even when he took it in his main hand, he did not release it for a moment when switching over. His expression was committed, lips pressed together in focus, and he lowered his visor with a twitch of his head. He began to circle to his left.

Steve made no motion to circle in turn, standing his ground. His head tracked the man as he moved, and he wavered, but only for a moment. Soon he would be within grabbing range, but still his hammer remained on his back; he would not need it.

A bootheel scraped across dirt as Peake lunged, a heartbeat before he entered casual striking distance. His sword ripped free from its sheath - literally, sweeping through the material to strike without needing to be drawn, aiming for his wrist.

A shield interposed itself, and there was a screech as Valyrian steel bit deeply into it. Peake made to pull his weapon free before it could be twisted from his hands, but Steve didn't even try. Over his shield came a clenched fist, and he punched Peake square in the chest without caring to moderate his strength, sending him flying. Clods of dirt were kicked up by his passage as he tumbled, and he came to a stop on his back, scarcely moving.

Steve inspected his shield, taking in the inch long gouge into its edge. There would be no repairing it; much better just to replace the iron covering entirely rather than try. A groan caught his ear, and he looked over to Peake. The man was starting to shift, groaning, one hand coming up to flutter weakly at the dent in his breastplate.

The observers were quiet as Steve advanced the dozen or so footsteps to his fallen foe. Peake could only watch him coming, his visor having half ridden up in his flight, but for all he tried he could not do more than stir feebly. Despite it all, he still held firm to his sword, and he tried to draw it up as Steve stopped at his feet.

"You know," Steve started slowly, "I don't quite like how I've treated you these past few days." His tone was easy, and low enough that even those closest would have to come nearer to hear clearly. He leaned in, his voice taking on a harsher bent. "But I don't like rapists even more."

Peake's voice was reedy, thin, and he struggled to draw breath. "Didn't, I never-"

"You can tell yourself any excuse you want, about how they don't say no, or they were asking for it, or it was owed to you," Steve said, "but you've never had to lay there, powerless, as someone stronger than you took what they wanted." He frowned as he took in the man before him. "Not until now."

He stepped forward, and Peake managed to find one last reserve of strength fuelled by fear, almost flailing his sword at the man who had turned what should have been a triumph of his House into a nightmare. The strike was batted away contemptuously by Steve's shield, and a pure note rang through the air as Valyrian steel met vibranium. He stood on Peake's wrist, twisting his sabaton, and the man's grasp spasmed open. The sword came loose, and Steve took it up.

"No!" Peake cried, a mortal fear put in him by that simple act more than anything else. "Do not! Not that!"

Steve broke off from inspecting the rippling grey pattern of the sword, intrigued despite himself, and glanced at Peake. "Not a good feeling, is it. Think about this next time you decide to take what isn't freely given."

"Stop him!" Peake bellowed, somehow forcing himself up on one elbow, but the core of fear within it was unmistakable. "A king's ransom for the man who stops him!"

Not a man shifted as if to try, not even those in the front ranks of the Reach army. Steve wasted no more time on him, showing him his back as he made his way back to Robin and his mount. The kid wasn't even trying to hide his savage grin.

"These men deserved a better man to lead them," Steve called over his shoulder, one final parting shot loud enough for all the lords to hear. He heard the clatter of Peake's helm as he sagged back to the ground, strength finally failing him. Careful with his new sword, Steve settled onto Fury. He offered one final nod to the still silent lords watching him, and then they were away, riding easily back towards the river.

Nat would have tanned his hide for leaving Peake alive, aghast at the idea of leaving a powerful lord to nurse such a grudge, and maybe she would have been right to do so. But killing the man while he was defenceless on the ground wasn't in him, never would be, and he had never lived in fear of what evil men might do. If Peake ever recovered enough to take another swing at him, he would deal with it, but for now, he had the larger war to consider.

There were no cheers as they rode back across the bridge, but that was only because any possible cry would have been drowned out by the clash and clamour of steel on steel, a horrific cacophony as what seemed like every man in the army clashed their weapons against their shields. Not a man in the ranks had ever so much as met Peake, but they knew Lord America's reputation, they knew he had reason to despise the man, and that was enough. In that moment they celebrated his victory, a celebration that somehow rose even higher as they began to glimpse the distinctive grey ripple of Valyrian steel held in his fist.

The knights on the bridge again served as an honour guard, and they cantered past them, riding for another welcoming party that awaited them. It was headed by a man much more agreeable than the last, and Robert beamed as they came to a stop before him, his own horse stamping one hoof.

"Dealt with the pissant rapist, then?" he asked, voice more than loud enough to be heard by all nearby. There were more than a few wide eyes as many suddenly discovered the reason for Steve's distaste for the enemy leader.

"I hope he has a good maester, for his sake," Steve said. "He won't be doing much of anything for a good while, either way."

Robert barked a laugh, and he wasn't the only one. "I bet that won't be the bit that hurts the most," he said, gesturing to the sword Steve held across his lap.

A look of satisfaction cross Steve's face. The sword itself didn't hold all that much value to him - he was more interested in the lesson that losing it would teach Peake, and in the half considered plans he had for it. But that was for later. There was a familiar face lurking in the back of the small crowd of nobles, and a sudden smirk took him.

"Walt!" he called, bestowing the group's attention on the man. "Come here, would you?"

Under the weight of expectation, Walt skirted around the group, coming to a stop before and beside Steve. "Yes, milord?" he said, mustering up the kind of deference he knew was required in such exalted company.

"Hold onto this for me, would you?" Steve asked, handing the priceless weapon over to the grizzled smallfolk soldier.

With his back to the nobles, Walt was able to glare daggers at Steve without consequence. He received Steve's best 'I am the cherubic heart and soul of America, and I would never tell a lie!' smile in return, and he visibly held his tongue.

"I know you'll take care of it," Steve said.

"...yes, milord," Walt said. "Right away, milord." He turned his horse around, removing himself from the centre of attention, though of course many eyes followed the sword he now held.

Perhaps it was Walt's tone, or perhaps Robert was just well attuned to that particular brand of shithousery, but the big lord's mouth was twitching as he fought back a smirk of his own.

"Come, Steve!" Robert cried. "That sorry lot won't be attacking today, and you owe us a story!"

Steve bowed his head and obliged, falling in beside Robert as he turned his horse, leading the group towards a pavilion that had been erected a short distance away. It seemed his confidence in him had never wavered.

Robin followed, his grin undimmed. He had known for a long time now, but his knight master continued to prove it again and again: joining Steve was the best decision he would ever make in his life. He couldn't wait to carry the tale back to his family.

X x X

Come the ninth day at Mastford Bridge, Steve was taking a break from his heroics on the bridge. Not that there were any to do - the Reach army had scarcely done more than muster to stand in ranks, making no motion to suggest that they would do more than stand ready for an incursion from the north bank. That was not to say he was indulging in idleness, however.

Repeated scouting had discovered a point upriver that was not so deep that a mounted force could not cross it. It was masked by a thick copse of woods and hemmed by deep pools to the east and west, leading prior scouting to discount it as a danger by both sides. With some preparation, such a force could make use of it, and set about causing mischief on the other side. It was that reason that saw Steve some few hours upriver with an axe in hand, cutting a narrow path through the trees so that the river could be reached without pain.

He was not alone, indeed he had been inundated with volunteers from his company seeking to escape Walt's foul mood at being saddled with Steve's generosity, though he only took a handful. By the time noon had passed, their side of the river had seen their task complete, and Toby was exploring the water astride Quicksilver, the red sand steed enjoying the swim as they checked the passage.

"They'll manage I reckon," Toby said when he reported back, water streaming from his legs from the thigh down. "So long as I'm there to lead 'em, that is."

Steve gave him a look.

Toby broke. "Aww come on, I been going to all my lessons, even wearing my shoes!"

"What do you think Keladry would say if you asked him?" Steve said. He ignored the sniggers coming from his men, Willem in particular finding it a great show.

Grumbling answered him, the boy knowing very well what Keladry would say to his request to join them on a raid across the river. "Fine. I spose they'll manage without me."

"What about the banks?" Steve asked. They weren't as steep as in some other places, but one could still make a good jump from them with a running start.

"S'fine," Toby said. "Won't take them at a gallop but so long as there's no one chasing you there's nothin' to worry about."

"Well done," Steve said. "Now I want you to head back to camp-"

Toby groaned.

"-and tell Keladry that I want three squads prepared for a late excursion."

Toby brightened. "You gonna steal some more horses?"

"Maybe," Steve said. "We'll see what we stumble across." He spoke as much to Toby as he did his small group of troops nearby.

"Got it," Toby said, and without any further discussion he was gone, Quicksilver rapidly shrinking into the distance.

Steve shook his head at the kid. He was growing quickly, and could put on the right airs when they were needed, but something told him he would always be that same feral horse child at heart. "Come on," he said to the others. "We've got a path to cut without making it obvious."

Over the next hour, a path was carefully hewed through the trees on the other side of the river, care taken to leave the outer edges as unchanged as possible. More outriders, but not Steve's own men, joined them as they finished their task, sent to take up a watch on the newly made crossing. Those who made it returned to camp to enjoy an early meal, but they were not done for the day.

The setting of the sun marked Steve's return, and he brought with him the squads of Yorick, Osric, and Erik. They crossed the river with little trouble, slipping into enemy territory with the ease of familiarity.

Steve led them southeast rather than south, not interested in drawing near to the Reach camp. They would have their scouts out, but not this far to their east, and he was searching for a different prey. By the time dusk had passed and the moon was rising, he had found it. In the distance, the glimmer of a campfire could be seen, poorly hidden. Keen eyes pierced the darkness, making out the outline of circled wagons, a pair of sentries perched atop them keeping watch.

Against men trained by Captain America creeping through fields of long grass, they were not nearly watchful enough, and half a dozen supply wagons found themselves introduced to the joys of barefoot travel as their goods were seized and their pack animals set loose. Wagons were broken down, no good for anything but kindling, and left to litter the field. As quickly as they came, the raiders melted away, taking what supplies they could and destroying or scattering the rest for birds and beasts to pick at.

There was no way to tell for sure, but hoary old Erik was willing to swear that the path the wagons were following had seen little or no traffic in the days prior - the caravan they took that night was perhaps the first of many called to the Reach army when they became aware that their path would be stopped at the Mander for some time. If it was, then their supplies were likely no better than the Stormlands' own.

To Steve, that opened…possibilities. He spent the ride back to the river crossing deep in thought, planning. With the foe's current instability, perhaps there was an opportunity to be seized.

X

On the tenth day at the Mander, before the sun had even risen, there was a meeting.

"No chance they've managed to get to the Reachmen with a warning?" Robert asked from the head of the table. He was staring down at a makeshift map, unblinking. Candlelight filled the tent.

"Not even if they found a mule and managed to mount it," Steve confirmed, seated to his left.

At Steve's left, Beron was staring at the map with similar fixation. "If they haven't been resupplied, and we continue to intercept them…"

"We would have to take most of them, and they would soon be wise to us," Samuel said, at Robert's right. "Not to mention we would need to claim more than we destroy, to maintain our own reserves. A tricky path to walk."

Most of the lords were gathered, all of them focused on the opportunity before them, racking their brains to be the one who would offer the stratagem to solve their problems.

Robert was shaking his head. "No. Think bigger," he said.

"A raid on their supplies directly?" a lord said, doubtful but trying to be positive. "They would see us crossing and block our way."

"They would," Robert said, sounding satisfied, and all tried to follow the line of thought that had made him so.

Steve was the first to realise. "You want them to meet you, to strip their camp of defenders," he said. "Then hit them with men we sneak across upriver."

"Aye," Robert said. "A dangerous, tricky task, even if they don't know we can do it. They won't strip the camp entirely, and if they guard anything it'll be their supplies, but if we can get amongst them…"

"We wouldn't have to win the battle, even," Thomas said from down near the other end of the table. He may have been a bastard, but from what Steve had heard his showing on the bridge had earned him some renown. "Or the fight at the camp. We'd just have to pin their men, and get past them at the camp."

"We have six days of supplies left if we stay here, eight if we ration," Samuel said, nodding slowly. "We need to march north, and this could do it."

Robert accepted the counsel of his most senior lord, and then he glanced to Steve.

"As much as I'd like to join the raid," Steve said, "if they don't know where I am, they might get nervous." Chuckles and the odd guffaw answered him. "I'll stand in the front rank." It was true that they needed to move on, and their gambit with Peake had reached its inevitable end. Now was the time to take advantage of it.

"Can we do this today?" Robert asked, already turning back to Samuel.

The old lord chewed it over, weighing the dozens of factors that would influence such a thing. "If we can't, we will know early enough not to betray our plans."

"Good enough," Robert grunted. He looked to his lords. "You all know what to do. Get your men moving. We need to send our cavalry upstream and over the river now if we want them to be in position in time."

Vigour and joy filled the tent, as lords were tantalised with the chance to do more than watch as their footmen held a river bank. With luck, that day would mark the end of the Battle of Mastford Bridge.

X

Hours later, Steve stood in the middle of battle, a formidable hard point in the front rank of the Stormland centre. The only problem was it was more the middle of a hurricane rather than the middle of a tornado, as the Reach had outright refused to assault his section of the line. He itched with the urge to split his block to hit the sides of the men surging against the line on either side of them, but attempting such a thing untrained in the middle of battle was begging for it to go poorly, and the Reachmen were wary of such a thing, men ready to take advantage of the opening. It was frustrating, even as he knew it aided their objectives.

Then, there came the sounding of trumpets, distant and urgent. A short time later, the first hints of smoke rose from the direction of the Reach camp.

Now came the most dangerous part of the plan. Stormland cavalry manoeuvred for position, a visible threat to any Reach cavalry that might think to ride back to aid their camp. It was a delicate balance - to let them go would be to doom those assaulting the camp, but to drag them into a fight would be to commit to the battle, something that would not serve them at all, not extended deep within enemy territory far from any hint of safe haven. As Robert had said, it was a dangerous, tricky task on all sides, and had the Reach been fighting under a single leader, it would have been even more fraught than it was - but by the sluggish response as they crossed the Mander that morning, they were not, and things were going well enough that many began to hope.

Until they weren't. There was a shift in the army for those with the sense for it, and horn calls grew more urgent, a lance of Stormland cavalry riding hard away from the river, but they were matched by the same in Reachmen. A block of the Reach reserve was moving to plant themselves in the way of any attempt for the right wing cavalry to sweep after any departing Reach knights, and the men were already starting to turn their mounts to take advantage. If something was not done, those raiding the camp would be forced to make a fighting retreat all the way back to the slow and narrow river crossing upstream.

Something that the Reach had failed to consider, however, was that if Steve was not engaged, then he was free to engage whomever he wanted.

"Ren, pass me my banner," Steve said, "and hold here a moment."

Grudgingly, his banner was handed over, and even more grudgingly, those of his troops who had joined him in the ranks that day allowed him to leave them behind as he walked forward, away from the security of his allies and alone into the open space behind the Reach ranks. Then, he turned for the Reach blocking formation, and began to advance on them.

A single man, no matter his reputation or martial skill, could not fight an army. The men of the Reach knew that Lord America was still just a mortal man, not the Warrior reborn. They should have ignored him, and continued moving into position to block the Stormland cavalry.

And yet.

Days of fighting, of carnage and sheer butchery, had ensured that the tales of Lord America's feats had spread through the army. Those fortunate to survive their assault on the bridge were keenly aware of how close they had come to death, and they spread their tales heedlessly. All knew how powerfully he could swing his hammer, how little even the most cunning of blows meant against his speed, how many he had killed personally upon the bridge. Even despite all this, he was still just a man, and they should have ignored him.

But then the order had come to ignore his section of the line that morning, and the white star banner had become something more, even if only for a day, even if only for that place. Lord America advanced on a block of two hundred men alone, bearing his shield and his banner, and the block of two hundred flinched.

Steve planted himself where the Reachmen had sought to put themselves, keeping the way clear for the Stormland lance, and suddenly a ploy that might have seen the strategic advantage tip to the Reachmen faltered.

The smoke in the distance grew darker, becoming a pillar, and it was clear that the raiders had achieved their objective. Perhaps the Reach supplies were not destroyed in full, but they did not need them all, only enough.

The Reachmen found their courage, and they began to advance, even if it was too late. Steve held his ground, showing no fear, waiting for them to come to him, as if to make his job of killing them all the simpler, and their approach slowed. It was only when they were almost upon him that he simply turned and left, returning to his position in the front ranks.

Something about the gambit struck home. Those engaged in the battle had not seen it, but there were many who had, and something was taken from them in the seeing. The fight was leaving them.

With the path blocked, the lance of Reach cavalry was able to depart, but it would be too little, too late, even as more and more lances managed or were permitted to slip away. The battle continued, men fighting and dying in pursuit of a victory that had already been decided. The noon sun hung high overhead.

Were the Reachmen led by a single lord, one that they trusted, perhaps they could have rallied, pushed to latch onto the Stormlanders and seize a victory in the field that would have made the loss of their supplies inconsequential. But they didn't, and they didn't. Led by a council of lords who could seemingly only agree unanimously on one thing, they lacked the vital ingredient to keep fighting, and the Stormland army was allowed to retreat in good order, formation by formation crossing back over the river, the last crossing the bridge and safeguarded by Lord America.

With the destruction of their supplies, the Reach army once under Lord Peake could no longer remain a coherent force in the field, and they would be forced to split to avoid starvation. The Battle of Mastford Bridge was over, and the eyes of the Stormlanders turned north.

Last edited:
The Reachmen found their courage, and they began to advance, even if it was too late. Steve held his ground, showing no fear, waiting for them to come to him, as if to make his job of killing them all the simpler, and their approach slowed. It was only when they were almost upon him that he simply turned and left, returning to his position in the front ranks.
Based on the invasion of New York I wouldn't be surprised if Steve actually could pick a fight with 200 odd guys with cheap melee weapons and win. Probably not a perfect wipe, but he doesn't need one.

Based on the invasion of New York I wouldn't be surprised if Steve actually could pick a fight with 200 odd guys with cheap melee weapons and win. Probably not a perfect wipe, but he doesn't need one.
The problem is that Steve doesn't need to fight 200 men. 200 men can't get close enough to fight him all at once. He only needs to fight about 12 men. That's how many are able to stand close enough to swing at him at a time.

Steve can fight 12 men. He can win in mere moments. He just needs to do it a couple of thousand times and he's gutted an army.

But that's just a matter of stamina. Steve has stamina for days. There is a reason I compare Steve to a dragon in this setting. The armies fundamentally lack the tools to contest him.

Last edited:
The problem is that Steve doesn't need to fight 200 men. 200 men can't get close enough to fight him all at once. He only needs to fight about 12 men. That's how many are able to stand close enough to swing at him at a time.

Steve can fight 12 men. He can win in mere moments. He just needs to do it a couple of thousand times and he's gutted an army.

But that's just a matter of stamina. Steve has stamina for.days. There is a reason I compare Steve to a dragon in this setting. The armies fundamentally lack the tools to contest him.
Ahd he wouldn't need to kill all 200. More than 20 should be enough to demoralize everyone that Is left and run

Tsk, tsk. Steve, I'm disappointed in you. Nat is 100% right that you shouldn't have left that guy alive. At the very least you should have broken his jaw and hands so that he can't speak or write, and therefore can't politic against you.

@TheWiseTomato Another brilliant chapter! Thank you for writing this.

Back