RL Update (Again) Regarding Chapter 10
I...Live!

Well. Almost. To those who are still reading this, thanks for your patience, and a thousand apologies for the delay.

Where to begin as to 'why'? I suppose it comes down to my inability to balance a big change in my life. Gone are the days of 'study' --> 'play games'/'write'. The addition of 'work' to the equation threw me more out of whack than I thought it would - I still study, because the Japanese Language Proficiency Test is a thing I'm doing.

I mean, not that this is a particularly valid excuse for more than double the standard time required to pump one of these out. I do game too much for this new schedule to shake out in favor or writing, ever. That is true. But I'm working on it - and that's what is going on with me. All that in spite, I have managed to scrounge up both the motivation and the words for Chapter 10. It is being worked on and is, at present, very near completion. It is also the longest chapter to date...though not by much, do not fret!

So once again, thanks for the patience - and watch this space in the meantime.

Xena out!

Book 1, Chapter 10: The Apples of Eris
And we've arrived!

Chapter 10, very likely the second last of our breather chapters at this point. It would have been the last, were I a man more reserved with my words. But I fear I am not so cogent, and so you'll have to bear with me a while longer.

Nonetheless, it's here. And to be honest, I never thought I'd quite get to the point where breather chapters would be necessary. It's surprising how far a bit of commitment and no small amount of encouragement from others can get you.

And in any case, enough about me. This is where you take it from here, reader. Feel free to leave comments, questions and the like below, and most of all, I hope this was worth the wait.

Xena, out!

(P.S. if this eases your mind any, the first words of Chapter 11 are being dreamed up as we speak - although I fear an extreme increase in pace may still be a bit much to ask. Ah well.)

======

A Sea of Stars
Book 1: The Stars, Awake
Chapter 10: The Apples of Eris

"Wake up, sleepy head."

He doesn't want to, he says, arms folded in the manner of the Stoics.

That is, if a Stoic could still look the part in horizontal repose, side laid out upon many-hued sheets, face against the wall.

"Why not?"

He feigns interest in a tectonic-sprung hairline crack in the wall.

"Oh, come on, was it really so bad last week?"

Ugh. Annoying. What an annoying woman. He could see her now, in all her annoyingness. The cheek of perpetual chuckle. The teasing emerald eyes under her auburn bangs - and that infuriating habit of waiting on answers that she knew he could not avoid giving.

Yes, it was that bad. He almost spits those words out.

She sighs. And for a while there is silence.

After all, they both know how much he hates Saturdays.

The Others call them 'play days'. And maybe it is play. For them: bigger, stronger, faster, better on their feet. He cannot keep up. Never could, and the gap grows wider every day. He can count the last time he was not picked last in months now. That was he is still picked at all is a shock, really.

Maybe they still hadn't figured
that one out yet, he chuckles. It's still like acid, but time dulls the taste.

"What a bunch of meatheads, huh?"

He nods.

The woman plops down next to him, kicking blue bunny slippered feet into the air.

"Well." A sigh, and her legs drop back down. "Well then. That's going to be difficult."

Guess he'll have to be brought there all the same, he thinks. Again. But at least she's not like the others. At least she doesn't like it, and shows it as and when she can. They're similar that way; as they seem to be in many ways. Small ways always, but always there. And he will take what he can.

"Why don't you come with me, then?"

That comes out of the blue, in every way. Come with her? Where to? To do what? And what about the last few weeks when-

"No, no." He is being read like a book. He realizes it quickly, staring into those endless emerald eyes. It rankles less than it should. "We're not going to the roughhouse. That's so
uncivilized, don't you think?"

The old suspicion creeps upon him. He knows this song and dance: she is trying to take control of the conversation. And people want things of you, yes, want things
from you, when they do this. But the question he knows she knows he will ask burns, burns him down to the bone.

And just maybe, perhaps, surely, this time will be different.

He asks away. What then would she consider civilization?

Three seasons pass over her face. A brief reaving of doubt before a smile springs forth newborn, lit up by eyes like grass under burnished sunlight. But it is winter that remains, that outstays the welcome of eyes breaking contact.

"Well then. How about a little experiment, instead?"

=====

"Hey. Dude."

The first thing I realized was that the halls weren't white anymore. These ones were pink, with a dash of fresh blueberry in the top quarter or so. An interesting touch. A personal one too - and it also required little guesswork as to who might have ordered it. Still, it was a comforting thing to see.

Less comforting was the look JD was tossing me from over half a dozen steps in front. His arms were folded, as decent a 'no, whatever answer you've brought, it won't be enough' statement as they came. But it was the rest of him that spoke far louder. And kohl-black eye rings, trembling hands, a tendency to stick far closer to the nearest wall than strictly necessary? Those never said good things about how your previous night went.

But in any case, great job, Ethel. Beating Lethe at the Umindfulness Grand Prix? Next you'll be out-strutting Narcissus, or out-fighting Achilles.

Hmmm. One of those wasn't quite right.

"You okay?"

"Probably." Where one's idea of 'probably ' could be redefined as a demented butchering of Dean Martin's 'Sway', but don't worry folks. I'll get over it. "Just a little out of the zone, is all."

"Wonderful."

"And you're looking rather wonderful yourself, I see."

JD rolled his eyes.

"Look, man, I-" and he might have rolled his shoulders dramatically as well, but he doubled over, that abuse one offense too many for his still hung-over body could take. "-Urrwgerrrgh."

"If it helps, I think I got the plate of the truck that ran you over last night."

"Screw off," JD choked out, in between attempts to seek the aid of the nearby wall in keeping his balance, as well as last night's supper.

"Just offering."

"I'm fine."

Eh. Let no one say I didn't try before giving you the Suit Yourself Shrug.

"You look half dead, but I'll let it slide."

JD shot me one last dirty look. And it was very dirty indeed, what with the pestilent shade that his face had taken on and all. Still, he fought it down at every turn. Guess resilience could shore up a dire dearth of wisdom after all.

[ETA to docking completion at Eris Shipyards, 15 mikes. I repeat, Eris Shipyards in fifteen mikes. All hands, prepare for docking.]

And in any case dearth of wisdom did not extend to attempting to miss deadlines that had a non-zero chance of getting us killed if missed.

Fortunately for both of us, the half-jog half-dash to the hangar deck near the stern of Gradivus was not a long one. The mobile base was research station first, bristlingly-armed battlefortress second, and had thus been built even more so than the average ship for the speedy, automated transfer of material and men. This we played to our advantage: a joyride on a high-speed rail here, an muzak-accompanied trip down an ultra elevator there.

Before we knew it, Gradivus' hangar doors were before us, nine men both abreast and tall, being pried open by invisible hydraulic hands to allow us and many others entry.

It wasn't hard to find our quarries from there. Even having lost our folk from the 322nd to the company of their unit-mates we stood out like sore thumbs. For one thing, Suzy and Bucky had free hands not either occupied by dataslates, containers or machinery with which to wave at us, grinning to outshine the sun; while Yuudachi's -Aoki Yuuka was plain unusable given how we'd been introduced- mane of free-flowing hair and easy smile was a rarity amid the short-crops and cramped, busy-worked faces that passed us by even as we approached.

But it was the rest of Agano Team that were the real eye-catchers here. In particular, mincing, smirking Amatsukaze, the air around her crackling with pending sarcasm as she bumped a shoulder against her raven-haired, well-curved and visibly unwell companion.

"Oh-ho, Squadron Leader, look. Some more people who didn't actually collapse after just a few drinks last night!"

Hmm. I'd say our friend JD here was close enough to collapsing, but if mine eyes had not fooled me, he hadn't gotten this way on account a mere 'few' drinks. The eponymous Agano, now identified by simply process of elimination, looked far worse for the wear however, almost recoiling at the mild tap.

"Uuuu...it's not my fault the stuff they chug on Ulmud is that strong!" Agano clutched at her head. "And I wasn't thaaat bad, was I?"

On a scale of one to ten - unconvincing.

"I don't know," the silver haired destroyer quipped with a shrug, "It's not like my shoulder isn't still half-broken from carrying you or anything."

Once in while you would meet people whose trains of thought proceeded with such obvious deliberation that you could simply read their faces. Agano was one such person, starting out with a brief pitstop at Confusion Station, then over to Loch Awareness before finally screeching to a dead halt on the white hot shores of Ocean Implosion.

"Are you saying I'm heavy? You're saying it, aren't you? That's awful!" Agano wailed. "You're awful!"

"I'm right," Amatsukaze countered.

Now if I didn't think it biologically abhorrent, I'd say this little lady here needed to be born with a longer neck, all the better to look down on the breathing debris that so overpopulated our universe.

"That still makes you awful!" The cruiser moaned, clutching her head. "I'm not fat! I'm well rounded! Well rounded, you hear me?"

"Eh," the destroyer said with a shrug, "whatever makes you feel better."

I for my part sidled over to where the quantum of the universe leaned more towards 'sanity'; that is, where my partner, her blonde sister, and Fubuki presently stood.

"This normal around here?"

Yuudachi gave a surprisingly dainty snort.

"Like, y'think?"

True. A perfectionist and a ditz walk into a bar…

"And you two?"

"Just discussing some future plans." Suzy chirped. "I was just saying that we'd like a class reunion if we can get the people!"

Yuudachi leaned in.

"Or two, if we count Bucky's crew! Or maybe," and here the blonde paused - a rare moment, no doubt. "we could do a twofer. A reunion union!" The blonde nudged her neighbour in the side. "Eh, Bucky?"

The eponymous Fubuki-class in the side started. An incomprehensible thing, of course. Utterly so: I mean, why would any sensible person take time out in their busy, crapshoot idle talk-filled schedules, to stare dreamy-eyed at some Plain John making himself unwelcome in Social Inertia Corner, as if that might impel him to go thither?

But as it was wont to do, reality reasserted itself, and Fubuki started from her reverie. A pity. I figured things were just about to get good.

"Ah. Uh." She sputtered. "Yeah! But would that be alright? I don't think we'd be able to keep up with you Shiratsuyus. We, well, weren't the most-"

But Fubuki would get no further talking herself down the basement, as a hand descended from on high to clap her on the shoulder.

"None of that!" Yuudachi declared. "We'll be great! Just you wait!" Then without warning, her voice fell to sotto voce. "Ah, but one can never tell, you know? What with these psions we've got: a couple with their head in the clouds, one guy with eyes on arse, plus one suicidal hero type. Ah, what's a girl to do?"

"Hey now, Yuudachi," JD cut in from the side, "I'll have you know that I-urk!"

"That you what now?"

Now those words sounded innocent enough. But it would take a subtler quirk of lip to escape my long-honed Smug Detector.

Nor did it escape Fubuki's, for that matter.

"Yuu," she chided, before walking over and taking JD's hand, pulling him towards us from where he had stood a meter too many adrift. "You're going overboard again."

Yuudachi struggled not to roll her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, okay. Just ribbing 'em that one last time, come on now."

On the contrary, I doubt we have seen the last of your overwhelming desire to get the final word in any argument, young lady.

Which made three of us, if you added in our silver haired wonder over there nailing our ostensible lead ship to the nearest wall. I almost felt bad for the cruiser. Had to be tough herding a cat -and perhaps it was a trick of the hairstyling, but Amatsukaze did look just a little like one- whose goal in life seemed to be herding you instead.

"Ethel?"

Suzy asked, but my feet were already carrying me towards the scene of soon-to-be verbal manslaughter.

"One moment, Suzy," I replied. "Excuse me? Excuse me!"

Two heads turned to face me, and my if their expressions -one genuinely curious, and the other the thrice-distilled essence of 'glower'- could not be more different.

"I don't believe we've met! Ethel." I thrust my hand out towards the dark-haired cruiser. "Ethel Deschantes."

"Ichinomiya Akino!" The Agano-class' name-ship's face lacked any trace of relief whatsoever as she shook my hand. Guess some people were just that glad to meet new folks, huh? "And this is-"

"We met yesterday, you dolt," Amatsukaze said flatly.

"Oh. Yesterday." Agano almost seemed to mull that last word over, like a child contemplating their first snowfall. "Ah, right! Suzy did mention that!"

"You know what?" Amatsukaze threw both hands up in the air in frustration. "I'm just done here. So done."

"And it is good that you are," a familiar voice interjected.

Men, sound the cornets! Let all rise for Lady Reiner the Responsible, chaser of deadlines, leader of ships, and grandmaster of approaches undetected. Seriously. What are you, woman, a submarine?

Such were my thoughts as Amanda strode towards us amid a flurry of swift and swiftly dismissed salutes, not least among them ours. A single glacial eye swept across us as we returned to at-ease positions. It passed over our young ladies without incident, but stopped to measure and find my rumpled left uniform lapel wanting. A stare longer still was reserved for JD's dishevelment. We straightened ourselves out posthaste. No telling what might happen to bad little boys who didn't fix their clothes.

"I see we have all been acquainted." Graf Zeppelin's avatar began. "And it is good to see that you two are-" she paused, regarding my companion again. "-reasonably healthy."

"I'll survive, ma'am," said he, abashed. "Just a little run-down."

"Well, I hope you didn't hit your head or anything."

"Uh, actually," JD scratched the back of his ear. "I probably did?"

"'Probably'?"

"I don't quite remember."
"Do you? Well, I admit to only having a little bird for sources," and here she gave me a sidelong glance, "but I heard you had some...help with that last night. That might have had something to do with it."

"Huh?" JD followed suit, turning to me. "I did?"

I shrugged.

"Don't look at me. I turned in early."

Yup. Nothing to see here, just a man with an ironclad alibi. Not that iron has had a spot in the top fifty toughest materials since, well, forever. But don't let that stop you from being more context-blind than the average visually impaired person. I mean, there's no way a random man sized hill prediction-barrelling his way into your drunken romantics and then hauling you back to our room could have been an inside job. Right?

"Indeed, I do recall you making an early exit."

And I'd have thought that Amanda might have -for her part- tried to prod JD in my general direction a little further. Though to be fair to her, a conspiratory upswing to the lips was usually enough to tip one off to afoot plots. But not JD, apparently. The dark haired young man glanced from one of us to the other, confusion -by Jove, genuine confusion!- rampant on his features.

Ah, innocence. Best to change the subject.

"Speaking of things we do or don't recall…no one told me you ladies could get drunk at all."

Amanda arched an eyebrow at me, something I returned in kind plus a shrug gratis.

"Our observations remain inconsistent on the matter," said she, folding her white-sleeved arms.

"Interesting."

"Indeed. You'll have to ask Liz for the specifics. As for myself, I have never been inebriated." The very edge of her lips quirked upward again, faintly. "Though perhaps replacing my Balorium fuel reserves with beer might produce interesting results."

Results I would gladly fund, milady, if only to learn what karma had in store for people who suggested ideas this idiotic.

"I suppose. And speaking of which, where is Liz?" I wondered. "Zero nine thirty. Lab Block, Lab Four. We need to meet. No offense, but I do hope she hasn't forgotten about that."

"Come to think of it," Yuudachi noted, interposing herself as the third corner of our conversation. "I don't see Nora or Shal anywhere either. Where've they gone?

"Ah. That." Odd. One would think tardiness was exactly the sort of thing that got Amanda all riled up. But it seemed the time for that had come and long gone, leaving in its wake only resignation. "They'll be meeting us there, I'm afraid."

"You're afraid? Of what? That they'll be late?"

"No. I'm afraid they're already there."

"Ma'am," I objected, "Eris' mag-locks are still warming up."

"That they are."

Her reply was almost a sigh.

Well then. If one could not choose to shun the snare, one may as well spring it.

"Point being," I continued, "I don't see how they managed that. What, did they teleport across or something?"

=====

"You did what."

My eyes were accusation itself - but alas, Mraliz Vorkros knew not the meaning of guilt.

"Uh huh."

"That can't be."

"As surely as I live and breathe."

"You're insane."

"Exactly. And it was great. You should try it sometime," the Benthos declared.

Of course. Especially when all about us lies scattered the detritus of greatness: ground zero was a raised circular platform, unique in its relative pristineness - albeit where 'relative' meant looking like someone had dropped a tank on it and then swung the vehicle around the room like Samson's chosen jawbone.

Some of resulting spiral rents had torn clean though the surface to reveal heavily reinforced cabling, the purpose of which I neither knew nor really wanted to. That which radiated outward from there could only be called utter destruction, despite the best efforts of maintenance automatons scuttling about performing cleanup duty.

Entire racks of computing consoles had been knocked tail over teakettle, their accompanying chairs and lab benches hurled hard at the walls hard enough for them to splinter. An unlucky few had been crushed, folded in on themselves. A grim reminder of what might have happened had we not been as swift as we had been in the battle only a few days prior, and a dead giveaway as to the experiments that had taken place here.

Or so the latter should have been, had I not guessed at it already.

So had Suzy, apparently, cradling her face in one hand from where she stood on my right.

"You could've died, you know," she groaned.

"A small step for Mraliz Vorkros, a huge step for science!"

Liz exulted from her perch: one of the few intact seats left in the lab, this one by virtue of being both bolted down to the ground, and being at least half the room across from ground zero at what I only presume had -pre hail of debris- been a small bar. Three others reclined at said bar. Nora and Yag Shal Troie, all-too-pleased co-conspirators in this dastardliness, and their partnered Agano-class cruiser.

"And how do you plead?"

"Came along for the ride!" Nora cheered, swinging back and forth on her own as-yet unwrecked bar stool, causing it to creak in protest. "Also, I plead 'bored'! We've been waiting for all of you for a bit, you know?"

"Hmm." Huh. So Ichinomiya Akino had a fine Lake Placid impression to go with the 'silly elder sister' routine. A necessary code switch, and one that fit the vantage position she had taken up upon the bar table, from which she -and one gunmetal-sheen disk-shaped cleanerbot- kept vigil over our two eager partners in crime. "I don't think you answered his question, Nora."

Mmm. Make that necessary, fitting, and one that served us both well.

"Indeed," I chipped on. "I was asking why you're still here."

"No offense," Suzy agreed, "But I agree. This place is a warzone."

"Doctor's orders~"

Yes, Blonde Cherry Sunshine. Very informative.

As if sensing my thoughts -funny how that possibility was so literal now- Yag-Shal lifted a regal hand from where he reclined upon the bar table itself, a king amidst the wrack of his own empire.

"It is a routine checkup, nothing more," the gold-armored Anguirian noted, his baritone taking on a dramatic flair. "Our good scholars have been keeping tabs on our additional psionic burden, though we bear it gladly, and wish to report on whether it breeds trouble in us apace or no."

"Huh." Suzy wondered. "I'd have thought Yuu and the others would want to be here for this. Don't you think so?"

"Ah."

Suddenly, Yag Shal was not so much a bipedal reptilian giant as someone who'd just been told that their most embarrassing childhood memory had been immortalized on the walls of City Hall. Akino looked like she had bitten on a lemon. Heck, even Nora's brows were in hunker down mode.

Three seconds was far too long a time for Suzy to take to realize that she might have just dropped some massive bomb.

"So, um," she began. "I'm sorry-"

But no sooner did I think that than did the lab's cratered, pitted blast door open with a rusty hiss.

Why hello there, Graf's more resigned spirit sister, I thought to myself. For beyond the two sliding panes two eyes framed by dark orange hair and cheeks only just hinting at gauntness stared out at us: black and black-ringed, and so, so done with our bullshit.

"Mira-"

Not that the universe cared what you were or were not done with, of course. Sometimes the universe dictated that a half-octopus in an exosuit would close the distance between you in a single bound, before flinging themselves at and catch you in a rib-s `hattering hug.

Such, I suppose, was the fate of Commander Lyn Yaya Emmanuel: Head Researcher, Eris Shipyards, and one of our very first trainers, albeit in the same touch and go way that everything but the sim training had been. The passing introduction upon arrival and subsequent cameos in instructional or general orders holos had made up the bulk of what we knew of her. But it was enough for us to know that this put upon and put through the busiwork wringer look was normal for the Commander. The frazzled haid, the spots where light makeup struggled against dark eye rings, and not to mention the barely veiled resentment against the powers that chiseled into the bedrock of her features; features that shifted nary a hair even in her friend's iron grip.

"Yaya!" Liz exulted. "So good to see you again!"

"Call me that one more time, and I will put you headfirst through a centrifuge till your nanostructure suffers permanent fractures. And incidentally, unhand me this instant."

"Cheerful as a flatlining heartbeat as usual," The Benthos remarked, "didn't I recommend that you get therapy for that?"

"Unnecessary."

"Unnecessary? Just look at you!" Liz made a show of fainting away, releasing her victim in the process. "Oh, I feel so sorry for Akachin. How does she even live with such a clod?"

"None of your damn business," the Benthos' newly freed victim growled. "And speaking of business…"

Dusting herself off with a mollified look, the lean, labcoat-clad woman turned to me.

"Welcome back, Deschantes, Onjouji, Ichinomiya."

"Hey," Agano waved.

"Heya!"

So did Suzy. Which left it up to me to be contrarian, of course, and to that effect I tipped two fingers off my forehead in an informal salute.

"Ma'am."

"Hey," Nora piped up. "Why don't we get a welcome?"

Yaya rolled her eyes.

"I'm not certain," she said. "Perhaps you could tell me about it after I outstay my welcome by almost leveling one of your laboratories."

The scientist turned to Suzy and I.

"Now while I wish I could have greeted you all earlier and with more enthusiasm at your continued health, some unexpected messes-" and here a withering glare was cast Liz's way, "-had to be cleaned up first, and much besides needs to be addressed. This means we have a lot of ground to cover."

Sweeping the debris off another still-intact chair, Yaya sat down.

"So, shall we begin?"

======

Note to self: next time you get a lecture from a member of the Advanced Warfare Research Division, at least ask for a recap slide.

Seriously, in this Yaya and Liz were as two peas in pod. Sure, one was a xenomorphic lean mean touchy-feely machine, while the other seemed liable for a hive breakout if sentient contact got any closer than a dozen meters. But give either of them a platform, an OmniPad and no time limit, and they could talk the nearest main sequence star through a mid-life crisis.

"So to sum up, we're hunky dory?"

Thank goodness for the art of summary. And guess whose awesomest littlest shipgirl buddy happened to be a maestro at that?

Yes. That's right. Yours truly.

"A gross oversimplification." Yaya's face teetered on the edge of a frown. "We have been lucky. A far more complicated affair."

The scientist paced, every step a judge's gavel - and with a hawk's glare to go with to boot.

"Allow me to reiterate. In the first, we were lucky that righteous cause coincided with critical recovery on Sancaid Prime," Yaya began, nailing Liz to the wall dead-on with but a gaze. "Following that, fortuitous personnel selection somehow weathered over-lax standards for personnel deployment - despite the presence of cooler heads."

Those molten black pools then swung to catch both myself and Suzy in their crosshairs.

"We were then fortunate that cellular regeneration treatment was sufficient insurance against reckless heroism.

"And finally, after all that, some dingus who knows post-FTL mechanics better than she can tell her left hand from her right decided to brave the three in ten thousand odds of leveling everything in a nine mile radius of this lab in a Warp Terminus Crush - and won that bet." "So while it is understandable that in some circles this would pass for 'hunky dory', I would argue that we have, instead, only just passed the point where one should be in constant anticipatory trembling for the next catastrophic backfire."

Well. I was no expert linguist, but I reckoned this would pass in any circle for 'one heck of an earful'.

A worrying one, too, if the shadow over Yag Shal's face was any consideration.

"I hope all this preamble does not precede this backfire you speak of."

Severity suffused every syllable...and by powers combined they hit Yaya Emanuel with all the force of water upon lacquer-work.

"On the contrary, you're our one source of good news." The scientist replied. "We had our doubts, but your psionic vitals have thus far only shown a stabilizing trend. You're in the pink of health, and getting rosier."

"Ha!" Nora puffed her chest out. "Guess we're just great that way, eh?"

"So we hope you will remain," Yaya noted drily. Unbridled enthusiasm was a rare gem, who knew? "The alternative would be unpalatable."

Suzy cocked an eyebrow.

"Alternatives? To what?"

Our two resident researchers exchanged a brief glance, the darker eyes more insistent by far. Liz sighed, and then turned back to us.

"Well, Onjouji," she said, "I'm sure you understand by now that the Primer's 'one psion one shipgirl' thing was just placeholder information."

Read: misleading.

My partner nodded.

"What we haven't told you, or much of anyone really, is why that can sometimes be the case."

"Our case was one of simple coincidence. A use of Eris' summoning facilities that should have brought two ships gave us three instead," "We knew even less then than the little we do now about the process. So in the absence of a third psion to be found at the time, the arrangement was simply allowed to stand. An experiment, if you will."

"And a risk, albeit one that paid off," Yaya continued. "But while these off-cases have usually proved informative, they have not always proved so fair-starred."

Tapping her OmniPad, she performed the by now familiar 'catch and toss' motion, bringing its contents up onto the scarred walls.

The face that greeted us was striking. Not so much for its age, but the way it wore those years, as if this were not the era of mandatory telomere treatment - not to mention all the optionals.

"Meet Lieutenant Commander Abram Magayon." Yaya began almost immediately, giving us no time for further discomfort. "He was the partner of the Fubuki-class destroyer Murakumo, summoning her on the 16th of May this year."

Well. I took that last statement back.

'Was'. That word rang in my mind with a wet gulp, the psionic echo of Suzy's very physical response to the news.

"He remains, at ninety-two years, one of our most senior psions if we measured age-upon-discovery," Yaya continued. "It did go well at first, just so you know. But suffice it to say that by early June it was obvious that something was wrong. Our diagnosis came back as immune-based telomere bond rejection: rare from a genetic standpoint, but not unheard of.

Mura's a bright girl. Perhaps a bit too bright: she got it into her pretty head that she might be at fault with Abram's sudden deterioration. Not that this made things better at all. In fact, it did the exact opposite. I won't go over the details; I believe you both understand why."

Yes, thank you for that. Just remembering that one elective in Genetics that went over accelerated multiple organ failure could make me green in the face. And let's not even talk about Suzy. I had no words for what I was hearing from her at the moment, though the 'chalkboard threnody of a thousand psychic cats' was close, if somewhat charitable.

"It got to the point where we had to make a switch, post-haste. Turned out that Abram's grandkid, Darius, was also in the military. Had the lad tested, came up positive psionic. We got lucky. Or so we thought." The orange-haired scientist's constant grimace grew deeper still. "Abram Magayon passed away on the 2nd of July this year. Never once did he have any more than a lukewarm response to treatment."

Judging by the awful silence that gripped the room for the next few forevers, the old saying that seeing a plunge coming from mile away only made things worse held true.

"How are they now?"

Suzy's voice was all too quiet.

"Alright." Yaya replied.

"All things considered," she added far too soon.

"That is to say, 'not speaking'. At all. They don't even argue. Or at least, not that we can hear. And not including what they say during training." Naked exasperation tinged Liz's voice. "Some of our most muddle-headed call it 'competence'. Or a 'bond'. Both of which they have in spades, make no mistake! Take Matsu, multiply her by an order of magnitude, you get Mura. Maybe it runs in the silver hair or something."

The Benthos folded her three default pairs of arms akimbo.

"But I don't like it," she finished. "It's just not healthy to be that way."

"And you taking these two out for their first jaunt at less than half the usual training time was healthy," Yaya grumbled.

"You agreed to it."

"I agreed that you should 'bring' them along, not 'deploy' them."

"Well, needs must when they do?"

"Needs must. Yes. Fine. Sure. Because heaven forbid that you should ever stop chasing that-" The scientist threw up her hands. "-ugh, nevermind!"

Hmmm. Something to file away for later. But for now, Hurricane Emanuel needed a little deflection.

"To be fair, I think we did wind up needing as many hands as we could get."

"Please don't defend her." Well, she was damn well deflected alright. And in my general direction too. Wonderful. "Damn it, Deschantes, you almost ended up in a body bag! Have a little awareness. And if not for your own sake..."

The wind left the human scientist's sails even as her gaze fell upon my partner. Ah, the power of who a look troubled enough to star in a Simon and Garfunkel remix video. But Yaya Emanuel was not one for extended sentimentality. Stilling her features in short order, she began to speak again.

"You might be wondering why this conversation was necessary. And why only one out of three of the Troie shipgirls is present with us."

"Yes." Suzy said little. But even through what limited mindspace we shared I could hear ten thousand gears in hers putting the lie to her lack of eloquence, grinding, turning, churning. "Yes. I do wonder that. Why is that?"

"The second is simpler to talk. Let me tell you this, Onjouji. As far as we're concerned, you girls are industrial crock pot of bullshit we haven't begun to properly understand. But one thing we know almost for certain is that emotional strength is the bedrock -or the shifting sand- on which your and your partner's well-being rests.

"And it is an amazing thing, capable of feats both subtle and wondrous: the connecting of two or more minds, the moving of mountains with but a single thought. Yet at the same time, we cannot ignore the way in which it puts its own users at risk." Yaya paused. "Please understand."

And then for the first time since I'd known her, I felt something erupt from within Suzy.

"'Please understand'. Really. Is that it?"

"What's 'it'?"

Lyn's voice was wary.

"Is this what this is about? 'We don't want to hurt them'. Is that all?" Something bubbled just underneath the calm in those words, seething and hissing. "That's great, coming from people who willingly participate in highly destructive experiments," a cool blue eye flicked itself at Yaya, "and whose response to these experiments somehow isn't tossing everyone involved into the brig for a night or two."

Woah. Find me a rank that could shield you from the sting of that, and I'd give an arm to have it.

"Now, Suzy, that's hardly fair," Yag Shal protested. "We would hardly still be alive if we could not weigh the necessity of the risks we took."

"Well, yeah. It's just that, with kids, sometimes you just gotta-" Oh. Oh my. Was that a pause for consideration, for actual thought? Would wonders never cease. "we have three, you know? Back at home, with the relatives. Sometimes you gotta step more carefully around them."

"More carefully?" Suzy shot back, undeterred. "More fearfully, you mean. And in all the wrong places! Do you know what I think? Let me tell you. Nevermind the crazy experiments! Nevermind the general craziness. When it comes down to it, you're afraid! You underestimate them, and yourselves. Would it make you happier if any of them -and one of them is right here!- had you disappear from their lives without ever knowing why?"

It doesn't have to be like that. I know both of you know deep down -far better than even I could now- that they would stick by you to whatever end. Yuu's a bit loopy and Matsu's kinda a dick. Sure. But we'd never leave a comrade to just rot, much less the people who brought us back into this world. But we're in this one together, and we'll fight it out together." It was almost unnoticeable, but Suzy had begun to tremble just a little. "If what we've heard here is true, then all the more a relationship based on secrets, no matter how well-intentioned, will fall apart once exposed. And it pains me to think that those very people who share our minds, even if a little, would try to pretend otherwise!"

Her voice, having risen to an unbearable crescendo, now gave way to a far worse silence. But it did not last, the sound of a lone pair of hands clapping rising up almost immediately to take its place.

"Hehe," Agano said as she applauded, her smile gentle but not at all naive. "I couldn't agree more."

Liz's smile was positively solar, nevermind that she had just been both called out, and told by a junior officer that she deserved a military style timeout.

"That was beautifully put, my dear."

Make that three of us in the 'crazy impressed' side of Parliament. Guess the whole 'Don't Pick Up Ethel's Shitty Habits' seminar I had prepared could be shelved for a later date.

"I'm sorry, ma'am." Suzy said, apropos Yaya. She did not meet the Commander's eyes. "Was there anything else you meant to discuss?"

For her part, Lyn Emanuel seemed rather composed - or at least until she leaned back against the nearest table with a long sigh.

"Well, there should have been. But we'll stop here: I think we've gotten more than we bargained for for today. Just take note: you were made privy to this information largely because Battlegroup Gradivus will receive new orders soon, and a major part of that will be the decision whether or not to take the Magayon-Murakumo pair on board when they ship back in to Eris with our live fire training squad in two days."

"Believe you me, our next mission is very demanding, and we'll need every functioning ton of firepower we can scrounge up for it - emphasis on 'functioning'." Picking one shattered piece of glass out of the reach of a cleanerbot, Yaya stared into it as if to scry from it the secrets of the universe. Or perhaps, more simply, the secrets of ignoring a robot's almost indignant squawks at having been suddenly deprived of its sacred duty. "If you don't believe yourselves ready for the task, Battlegroup Parthia will be back from the Reaver Stars by the weekend next, and I will take up the issue with them next. This is just a show of hands, nothing final. But what do you say?"

"...If my vote means anything," Suzy replied, a little too quietly. "I'll take them."

"My vote is hers," I added.

"As will I," Agano said. "Hagi-chan probably has enough on her plate right now as it is." Her smile turned impish. "And anyhoo, I'm too horrible an elder sister as it is to also have this on my conscience!"

"I daresay the matter is half decided already, then," Yag Shal observed, his gaze severe but thoughtful, even chastised. "I thank you for your honesty, Lady Suzukaze. I- we, may have measured you poorly when we first met. We will have a long talk with Yuu and Matsu about this matter, among others. But first, we need a bit of time to consider."

"Please do." Suzy just barely grit out through the shaking. "Then if you'll excuse me-!"

And away she went, legs making a tear for the door.

So much in a hurry was Suzy to vibrate right out of the room that she failed to notice the sliding panes opening far too soon to permit her exit to have been caused by her passing, thus treating us to the sight of Amanda Reiner suddenly having to jink to the right to avoid getting a chestful of fleeing destroyer.

The blonde carrier watched my partner go for a good many seconds, before finally turning back to us, mene mene tekel upharsin written all over her face in divine script renewed.

"Well, I see things escalated while I was away," Amanda noted. "Regretting any life decisions at this point, Ethel Deschantes?"

I shrugged.

"Not that I recall having any choice in this matter."

"True," the carrier conceded. "But if you do not mind dealing with the sins of your fathers, I believe your partner was last seen headed in the direction of the Observation Gallery, above the Summoning Hall. Do you remember the way there?"

"Mostly."

"Only mostly?" The Graf Zeppelin Special -deadpan face, mischievous eyes- was in full effect as Amanda leaned over one of our cleanerbots as it corralled more debris for disposal. "CR2045-Z1, Guide Mode. Navigate to Sector S3."

With an almost cheery bleep boop boo breeeeee, the bot laid its burdens down and began puttering. its way out the room.
"Now follow that star, Ethel."

I will deal with this mess, a sudden flash of a thin smile finished for her.

I didn't need to be told twice.

"Seeya later!"

Agano called after me even as the door shut, leaving me alone with the CR-Z unit.

"So. Just you and me, huh?"

Bling, the maintenance type sounded by manner of 'reply', before turning to leave.

"Curt fellow." I joked, to no one in particular. A picky one too, to gift the lady four words and myself but one. "But lay on, Macduff. I'll be right with you."

======

'So much ostentation.'

That thought never failed to cross my mind when viewing the Summoning Dome.

Sure, the alibi given was a decent one: something something alien technology, blah blah early project staff decisions to blame, yadda yadda suitably foreign aesthetic used to 'set the tone'.

Given the character profile in our command staff so far, one could only imagine the great architectural luminaries who had envisioned the soaring hexagon of inner walls, the gold-silver trim and inlay in them that mimicked trees, and the glowing vertical white crawl of foreign runology that ran down from the ceiling to the floor, where lay in state a white circle similarly adorned, large enough from end to end to allow a Catha to land.

Incomprehensibly ancient, and ringing by a tongue that echoes through space, indeed.

Real mystics they must have been. I mean, the fact was that all alien furniture I'd witnessed so far had preferred a more, ah, minimalist approach. So if anything the Dome was but an ironic monument to our ever complicated relationship with the god called science. Or a horrendous abuse of budget surplus that could no longer be taken back, depending on your point of view.

Regardless, it made sense that Suzy should be here. Eris Shipyards' Summoning Dome was, understood science or not, the birthplace of all shipgirls. Here these ancient ladies of war were once again given form, given our form, and from here they were sent forth.

Until her.

What did that mean - for her, for us, who now knew that this one exception was hardly so singular and inconsequential as we might first have thought? What did it mean for this place? I could not say.

But what I could do, I would.

"Run along now, little buddy," I half-whispered to the maintenance bot. What was its name again. CR20-something-Z1? Yeah. Something like that. "Man's gotta do what a man's gotta-"

But the robot was already shuffling away to its next task, nary another sound made in its departure.

"Perceptive fellow." I saluted him with a chuckle, before returning to my quarry. "Hey, Suzy."

The shipgirl in question was practically draped across one of the viewing gallery rails, a fact that rendered her half-hearted attempt to turn towards me but a mere bob of the head.

"First sortie into open seas, and I steer us right into an iceberg," she muttered. "Great job, huh?"

"A real masterpiece." That made her look up, and with the best 'are you kidding me' face I'd ever seen her muster. Hello, newsflash - you're partially in my head. Figure that out for yourself. "Worthy of the Hagia Sophia's own frescoes."

That got a snort.

"Ha ha. Very funny."

"Oh, I'm aware," I quipped.

Were there any energy behind it, Suzy's half-head-turned stare would have been withering.

"Ethel. Be serious. There were a half dozen other things we could have gone over in that time." Then she looked away again, heaving a deep sigh. "But I-"

"Shouted down four superior officers hard enough to warrant half a lifetime in the doghouse?" I shrugged. "Eh, we'll be fine."

Now that got me a real reaction. Suzy brought herself back up to a standing position, her eyes searching my face with the barest hint of suspicion.

"Fine?" She half-hissed. "Who are you, and what did you do to Ethel?"

Oi, little lady. Watch that tone or you'll get the Cocked Eyebrows treatment.

Or we can give it to you anyway, whichever.

"I'm being serious here," I protested.

"Well, so am I! The Ethel I know would almost be angry if he didn't get the chance to talk everyone's ears off about the newest secrets that the super mysterious voice in his head just told him about-" Man, it was always fun to watch the wheels in someone's mind turn my way, slowly by surely arriving at inevitable self-realization. "-Oh. Right."

"Yeah." I shrugged my right shoulder. "Right."

"Not even a peep? Seriously?"

"Nope." Now, Lady Incredulous. I sympathize with you. Really, I do. But sometimes things is as they is. "I guess it's taking its own sweet-ass time."

"Uh-huh," Suzy replied. "And wouldn't that be an awkward conversation to have?"

"Actually, I was just going to tell it like it is. But-"

My OmniPad chose that very moment to beep, [New Message (1)] flashing across its small screen. It was text-only, and the sender ID masked. But the tone of voice left no doubt as to its origin.

[Heya~ Hope it's going well with Suzy. But it probably is; I trust you at much at least.] Oh you. How could anyone ever doubt me? [In case you thought we're just shooting the breeze back here, we aren't. Your Sigma-level data privileges have just been unlocked. Enjoy - Cmdr M. Vorkros.]

"Scroll down," Suzy noted, leaning over my shoulder. "There's more."

[P.S. You can thank me later. Convincing everyone to wait and see was a pain and a half!]

"'Wait and see?'" The shipgirl murmured, more to herself than to me. "This really is an odd day."

"Meaning?"

"I didn't think anyone could be this, well, laid back about something as compromising as an unknown factor in your head," she replied, scratching her head, "let alone everyone."

"On the contrary, I'd say you're too jumpy." I held out a hand in front of me to stave off what was surely the inbound counterpoint. "Hear me out. See, we don't know if it's something in my head to stay, as opposed to a one-off visitor. Nor do we have any way of finding out with our present knowledge of psionics, let alone figure out any motive for helping us on Sancaid Prime - save that it did do so. That makes continued quarantine unwarranted so far as we know, even stupid if we're hurting for manpower as much as they say."

I turned my back to the Dome, leaning against the railing.

"So if you think about it that way, 'watch and wait' is a safe course of action. Maybe even the best one. In the worst case, we might lose something we never even knew how to keep or contain. But if not, we may learn something new from a -as far as we know- benign force far beyond us in this field. I know which option I'd pick."

"Not that I have no misgivings about it, mind you," I added quickly. "But as in many other things, I make the best of what I'm given."

And sometimes making the best of things meant convincing a certain shipgirl that no, she had not made a big of a mess as she might have thought in speaking truth.

Another curtain of quiet descended over us. The good sort this time, more comfy satin and linens, and less 'coarse and rough and threatening confrontation around every corner'. Indeed I did not need to probe at all to sense that the cloud that had hung over Suzy since...the midpoint of the incident at the lab if I were to be honest, had become a fair sight less grey.

Not wholly dispersed yet, mind, and with good reason. But we'd take what we could get.

Then she chuckled, breaking that silence with its gentle tune.

"You know, sometimes I do wish we shared minds more than we do."

I looked at her askance.

"Oh, really?"

"I mean, I usually wouldn't even dream of it! You're morose, depressing, and try to see the worst in almost everyone." My, if someone wasn't all too pleased to have gotten that off her her chest. "But sometimes," she continued, a thrice-damned grin on her face, "you do have something bright to say."

"That's quite the vote of confidence," I quipped right back.

Suzy rolled her eyes.

"You're incorrigible." Then the destroyer's look sobered. "So. Murakumo, huh?"

"Sounds like they need time," I said.

"Experience?" My partner asked.

"Just from the spectator stands. Sometimes the VIP box."

Suzy quirked an eyebrow in response.

"No firsthand knowledge?"

"Ha! Never had the misfortune," I almost scoffed.

"Cold fish."

"That's me," I acknowledged. Shame, mine face I do callouse against thee.

"Like I said, incorrigible," Suzy chided with a shake of her head, before reprising her usual smile. "But you're right. They do need time, and quality time at that!"

"Yeah, well, that's definitely where you girls come in." I shrugged. "Can't say I've ever been any good at making the mood better."

"A cold fish and a short sell! What are the odds?"

What were the odds, indeed. What were the odds of anything, really - to say nothing of the cosmic jigsaw that must have clicked in place, that some human stripling looking for his place in the galaxy should find it, today and for time foreseeable to come, next to a literal ghost of the past reforged into flesh and steel.

But that was neither here nor there. For now, 'what Jezebel wants', eh?

"Eh. I'll do what I can." I conceded. "But no guarantees."

"I know."

Yes. You know me, indeed. You know Ethel Deschantes: always a little aloof, always a bit lukewarm, always a tad slow to commit if not pushed against the brink.

Placing one hand against the falsely transparent walls that separated us and the Dome below, I turned to face Suzy.

"So. Any ideas on what to do?"

"A few so far," the destroyer replied.

But once committed - well then, we'll see, won't we?

"Well, two brains are better than one," I said, wearing a grin of my own. "Let's hear 'em."

=== To be continued in Chapter 11: Cloudy, With A Chance of Warp Storms ===

Last edited:
Of Rewrites and Other Substances.
Yes, it has certainly been a while. And well into what must be my longest delay yet to boot.

Unfortunately, as the title may suggest, I'm here to say that that delay will persist for a time yet. Thanks to a massive fit of displeasure on my part about 2 week ago, and then some rigorous critique by @RazorBlaxe, Chapter 11 is being massively rewritten...for the second time.

I suppose my present writing mood began earlier than that though. @kilopi505's comments got me thinking that while the tension of the previous battles may have necessitated a release, I may have been spending a bit too much time winding down - or at least be coming to the point where any more might become pure waffling, no matter its written quality otherwise. Not to mention increasingly confusing without some wider conflict to anchor it. My bout of pique after seeing the chapter upon returning from a holiday and then the beta check only reinforced that line of thinking.

Hence my present -and honestly frustrating (I am far from the best planner, I fear)- quest to seek a quick yet smooth way of segueing into our next arc. As of now, I am in the process of making Chapter 11 the beginning of that next arc. Hopefully it does not take too long till I can get it out to you all in any case. Once again, sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience, Internet folks!

Xena, away!

Last edited:
Book 1, Chapter 11: Cloudy, With A Chance of Warp Storms
A Sea of Stars
Book 1: The Stars, Awake
Chapter 11: Cloudy, With A Chance of Warp Storms

"...And on your left," the tour guide chirped, all sunshine and rainbows, "you'll see Gudjohnsen's Cape, where the Tyr's Fist landed in 2175, marking the beginning of the Colonization of Konrad. Today it's home to The Carronade Memorial; a wall composed of the original gun complement of the Fist herself, removed during naval refits in 2282..."

I looked out the window amid the oohing and aahing of the people leaning out of our open-top hovercraft as it cruised across the edge of an nigh endless white beach shoreline, punctuated only by the distant sight our guide referred to: a Parthenon of dark steel rising up on an obsidian piled-rock jetty.

Ugly as sin, and more brazen besides. A superior brainchild of our hubris one would be hard pressed to find - on this planet at least.

"Now, most know that the Fist has the honor of being the longest serving Bismarck-II-class warships in the history of the Alliance. Some of you might even know that it still serves today as the ceremonial flagship of Fleet Group Olomouc. But did you know that it was also both the first and the last to score a naval kill in the pre-laser space age?" Ladies and gentlemen, Exhibit A. And our rapt, attentive audience (if drawn somewhat more towards our rather...distractingly dressed speaker than the speech), Exhibit B. "The first of these was-"

Nanchara, kanchara, Suzy 'muttered' under her breath next to me.

Oh? I replied. Now here's someone who sounds like she knows the gold star answers already.

Not that I wasn't also being arrogant here in tuning the guide out, but whatever. And hey, it worked; Suzy's mental snort was so loud I could've been miles away and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Don't be silly, she huffed. We went over this! First Contact War, 1st of October, 2056. The Fist catches a Europan ship with a predictive kinetic broadside in an orbital skirmish over Mars, shredding it and putting the lie to alien naval supremacy.

And the 'last'?

2381, December 14th Pirates in the nearby Levant Corridor on a regular shipping raid found that over a century and a half of service hadn't dulled her crews' skills in the least,
Suzy recited, the note of triumph in her voice unmistakable.

But yes, a question well answered was indeed a victory, no matter how small.

Aaaaaattagirl.

Ha. Never expected me to be
this good, did'ja?

Hardly,
I demurred. You're this teacher's pride in his old age, you know?

Oh, spare me,
Suzy groaned good-naturedly, face straining a little to keep her eyes from rolling. You're not even-

"Credit for your thoughts?"

-that old, she might have finished, had that new voice not rung out from behind, shaking me free of our telepathic conversation.

Well, old-new voice really. Or was it 'new-old'?

Somewhere in the middle, most likely, lost at sea between my recent in-person acquaintance with Lieutenant Darius Reginald Magayan and longer relationship with his reputation. Or slightly longer, anyway. Certainly not long enough to tell if the rosary he had pulled out from under his powder red shirt -and was even now absently twirling between his fingers- was score one for Catholicism or a keepsake of the Earthbound epoch.

"Oh, just thinking about just how wonderful this all is," I replied off-handedly, leaning a little deeper into the palm I had cupping on my cheek.

"Very funny." Darius' lips spread back into a toothy white grin, their fluoride shine almost painful against his tan and raven-dark hair. "I mean...err, do you mind if I'm honest with you?"

"Sure."

"Now I haven't known you a full day yet," he replied with eyebrows arched, sitting a little more upright in his seat in the almost empty hindmost row of our hoverbus, "but I can already surmise you're aren't the sort of person to find things wonderful."

"Four hours and seventeen minutes, give or take," I replied. "And you would be somewhat right to say that."

"Try absolutely," Suzy chirped, throwing her head back in her seat to look at the black-haired Lieutenant.

"Heh."

With that, Darius cocked his head to the left. A few pensive moments passed, interspersed by assorted chatter passing back and forth between our fellow passengers and our guide. Only at length did a tiny grin began to form.

"On the bright side," he added slowly, pointing forward to where the shining white spires of seaside Tyrborg City were beginning to rise over the horizon. "It won't be long till we get some free time in the city. Wanna go to a cafe or something?"

"Oooh! A cafe in the city." Suzy jabbed me in the ribs. "Come to think of it, why haven't you thought up any trips to city cafes?"

Because they're cynically priced, pretentiously themed, and thus bad for your partner's diagnosed misanthropy?

"Because we haven't been to any cities?"

"We're in sight of one now," she asserted.

"Suzy-"

The blue-haired shipgirl leaned in till she was almost nose to nose with me.

"Plans. I want them. For the next three days. Got it?"

"...Got it."

But it did not escape my notice that all this while Darius was looking on, his clouded face a canvas of aching pain that fought to hide behind a smile. Then he turned to his own left, and that smile was gone.

The moment of truth, then.

"What do you think, Miria?"

Three pairs of eyes turned to the shipgirl who sat in the hindmost corner, twisting one lock of her waist-length silver mane around her index finger. A low hum left her lips as she did; the most sound I'd heard her make throughout this entire tourist joyride from the Amang Indrah Iskander Spaceport.

Hell, it was probably the only sound. Whereas the rest of us had at least tried to make some small talk, Fubuki-class Murakumo -Kumori Miria to the galaxy at large- had stood aloof the entire time, the attention a beautiful young lady (and, O inexplicable truth, weren't they all?) would usually attract dispelled far more by her antipathy than any discouragement Darius' presence might provide.

Which was not to demean him: depreciating five foot and eight inches of strapping -if slight for an actual soldier- Naval Officer was a task beyond me. But one could hardly look the part waiting on his psionic partner like a criminal condemned awaiting acquittal.

"Mmm."

Or the gallows. Perhaps I should have taken the law department on their shuttle service to and from the petty courts. That might have helped my skin not crawl at the sight of a man's fate hanging in the balance at a single noise.

"Let's go."

And just like that, the sentence was remanded. For now.

Her necessary piece said, the shipgirl turned her back on us once more, continuing to look out at the sea.

What a mess. Worst of it all was Darius' expression. The man actually looked, what, relieved? Glad? Well, on-the-bright-side time, at least his smile didn't seem like it would shatter the next time Your Kid's First Mallet gave it a lovetap.

I gave it till the next-next one or so - and you didn't want to hear my less generous estimates.

Well...this is awkward, Suzy broke in, her words more of one long psionic sigh than anything else.
Wonderful observation, my dear Watson, Guess this will be harder than we thought, eh?

Yeah, no sh-

Language,
I chided. Or do I need to have words with our dear boy L-

-No kidding. No kidding!
Had to admit, there was some amusement in watching my partner struggle to keep her attempt at flesh-digit-induced balding to the mental realm. A few moments of cringing from the shoulders down, our shared mindscape was restored to mere frustration. Ugh. Why did things have to end up like this?

Ha. You tell me, girl. You tell me...

======

"Let's go over that one more time."

My voice echoed far more than it should've, even for a memory.

But then again, that had probably been a function of Eris Shipyards' Central Briefing Room being criminally underpopulated, as opposed to any ventriloquism that I may or may not have ever picked up.

Team Agano had not been present. Favorable winds had brought Strike Fleet Parthia in a day early, and the class-namer had insisted on being part of the guard detail for their arrival; a call that no one contested. Or perhaps Yuu and Matsu might have tried, had they not been so unused to being sucked into the cruiser's pace for a change.

Surprise, girls, turn-about was fair play.

Fubuki and JD, too, had been out. This I had known of intimately: there was nothing quite like a shipgirl knocking on your door at 6am in the morning to stake her righteous claim on spoils which had been merely given unto you for stewardship, and carry it off where she willed.

So only four people had occupied that room. Suzy and I on one side, Amanda and Liz on the other, with the room's dynamic holo display between us.

All well and good. They'd always told me that my sneer wasn't fit for polite company anyway.

"So, according to our metal brain farm over at Yggdrasil-Beta, there's something big out there. Possibly bigger by far than the Warp Stone we found - by which dubious aid we found this lead anyway."

"Mmhmm."

Despite wrinkling her nose at my pet description for Alliance Intelligence's supercomputer network, Mraliz Vorkros voice had remained completely even. The first sign of trouble, with hindsight's benefits.

"And it's in Cielo System of all places." My frown had- mm, deepened, yes, deepened- at the sight of a seven planet cluster orbiting a somewhat minus-size star, writ large in the center of the room. "Ground-fucking-Zero of the War."

"Uh-huh."

"But apparently we can't just warp there because some chucklefucks from Intel were doing some 'highly sensitive work' in the vicinity. In fact, this work is so sensitive that they've gone straight to the top and gotten our coordinates redacted so we don't even know what it is we're looking for."

"That, and because the system's war tourism industry didn't sign up for an actual fully armed strike force bouncing in, even if announced. The Planetary Authorities insisted as one on that count."

Tourism, huh. Funny: I'd never thought it odd, not even once before, that ten years would have been enough to completely restore a once-wartorn system.

But remembering verdant, lush Cielo Four, one could only wonder, even now.

Suzy had cut in then, the edge of annoyance in her voice arresting that musing fugue of mine.

"So instead we're being made to meet up with some spook from way higher up to give us access to this location within the system."

"Discreetly, and with as few people as is feasible," I then added.

"Yup."

"Thus, in sum, this mission is going to be conducted relatively blind, administratively handicapped, and ludicrously undergunned. The Holy Trinity of operational 'Why-Just-Why'."

Liz's ear-to-ear grin had been the only answer. Which earned her a sharp look courtesy of Amanda, though nothing more.

"That would be a fair assessment."

Ah, what fortune, to have a partner who would indulge your need to be pointlessly cryptic. Or so I had been inclined to think of the carrier when she answered in her partner's stead.

"So all that considered...why us?"

I recalled thinking that some law of anatomy would have to snap for Liz's grin to get wider than it already had been. But where humanoid mouths fell short, two arms and four chitinous pseudopods picked up the slack with interest to spare.

"Consider this hazing," she had declared, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Hazing of the kindest sort."

Suzy's grimace had been just as obvious.

"Honesty," came the mutter.

Amanda had looked almost sympathetic at that moment, for her standards. But one couldn't help but wonder if we might have asked for more than a slight thinning of the lips in lieu of such an expression.

"Oh, you'll enjoy it." Liz had seen fit then to wave Suzy's complaint off, leaning forward on flowing feet-tentacles even as her expression then abruptly turned serious. "Seriously though, you two were the only option."

"Well, for starters, Graf and I have problems with the management in Cielo."

"It is not that serious-"

"For a given 'maybe probably might blow a planet or two up' value of serious. For my part." Suzy might have said something then but for the Benthos holding one preempting tentacle out. "Maybe next time. It's a long story. Agano's crew is right out. Family time and all - and they'd be too big a group anyhoo. People might not notice, but Olomouc would be on edge; and that's never good."

Her mischievous smile crept back in again, as if knowing that the worst was now past.

"And we sure as heck wouldn't want to give the new kids the wrong idea about us by sending JD and Bucky, would we?"

Or the worst could still be to come, one supposed. Good job not having seen that one coming, me.

"I'm sorry." Now, actual good job for having kept my tone as flat as possible. "I don't think I heard that right."

"JD and Bucky?"

"No, 'new kids'."

"I said what I said. In fact, we've taken the liberty to help you enjoy yourselves while you're planetside. I mean, it would look super weird if four people were to travel by themselves to a super-hot tourist spot on military express. So-"

Sweet mother of mercy, did I still not like the sound of that.

"-get this: we've signed you four up for a tour of Cielo Five, uh, Kroner? Korvus? What do they call it aga-"

"Konrad," Amanda had supplied.

"Yes, that! So yes. A tour. The beach, the bay, the biggest sights in the biggest cities! It'll be great - at least until the Intel personnel come to pick you up. Whoever they are."

One long chitinous limb had then reached out to tap one of several OmniPads lying on the Benthos' desk, and within moments both mine and Suzy's both beeped. Long story short: Civilian shuttle booked. Private charter, first class facilities, and -surprise, surprise- bypass documents for my still very much officially dead person.

Well, never let it be said that the Alliance's super secret projects did things in half measures. Still, 'Ethan DeFalco'? Far be it from me still to claim expertise in clandestine work, but had the initials really needed to remain the same?

Given the way Liz's appendages had started to sort the documents on her desk out, however, that wasn't a question she concerned herself much with. If at all.

"Darius' and Kumo's E-tickets have already been sent to them, along with all needed instructions. They'll meet you there straight, pending rendezvous with us when convenient. Hopefully it'll never be convenient, so you guys can enjoy an awesome little bit of shore leave!"

At this point I distinctly recalled having reflected on the prevalence of a point in every battle where one needed to pluck that flag off the ground, cut losses and head home. Suzy must have thought so too, if the two fingers pinching the bridge of her nose were a message any clearer than mud.

"Anything else?" The shipgirl asked.

And over all our woes did Mraliz Vorkros put on another nonchalant shrug.

"You fly out tomorrow…So start packing, I suppose?"

=======

Fortunately, the universe was into small mercies.

For a few moments, it had seemed like the inevitable queries into the OmniPad IDs of our female companions might outweigh the suitable brevity of the 'Hope-You've-Enjoyed-Today, We'll-Meet-Again-Tomorrow's. But fearful indeed was the expediting power of Kumori Miria's left eyebrow. A wrinkle in time saved nine; and ten minutes thereafter found us two city blocks and a corner down Tyrborg Central Magrail Station - reclining even as Greeks of old might have in the velvet-red sofa beds of Cafe Cagliostro, awaiting the arrival of our orders.

Well, I was getting my inner symposiast on, anyway. Suzy was lying full on her back, a laminated copy of...Beano's Dennis The Menace, I believe, in her hands. Darius was flicking through the -also physical, gold floral embroidery on black leather and all- menu, as if duck confit with a side of cheesecake azuki hadn't hurt his wallet enough.

Though I suppose that were I him, I too would be struggling not to shed my own skin. It had to be at least a hundred kinds of awkward sitting next to someone who didn't even have the courtesy to tell you they didn't want to be here.

Miria Kumori certainly looked the part, though. Chalk up two for the small mercy jar that she had deigned to at least order something. But that was as far as the boon went: the silver-haired shipgirl had not so much as looked up once since that curt 'one vanilla parfait, please'.

And it wasn't as if our other destroyer's complete disinterest in...well, anything we'd been doing all day had had zero effect on Suzy. Even now she was stealing glances at the psion-shipgirl pair opposite us, only absently turning the pages on the priceless article of pop culture heritage in her hands from time to time.

This state of affairs couldn't last forever, however. And zero prizes for guessing who would break the silence.

The Beano mag closed with an audible snap.

"So." Suzy said, her voice carefully neutral. "When do you think they're gonna show up?"

And thump went the menu in almost eager reply, its previous user leaning forward across the table, his face all but screaming 'this-awkwardness-is-killing-me-send-help'.

"Who now?"

"You know who I mean," Suzy replied, airy tone belying the surge of relief I felt radiating off her.

"Well, if you're talking about who I think you're talking about…" Darius stole what he surely thought was the most furtive of glances to the right and left. A fair consideration: the cafe was not starved for free seats, but hardly empty all the same. "they've certainly been trying our patience so far."

"I've heard it's part of the experience."

"Eh, I've had better." Then Darius paused, belatedly mulling over his words and finding them wanting. "Um." He ran a hand through his curly hair, equal parts awkwardness and frustration. "Sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"What?" Suzy cried, thrusting her hands out before her as if to physically push the suggestion back. "No, no. Not at all!"

At that moment I could've sworn I felt Miria's gaze on us - never mind that her eyes were tilted upward, looking out the glass wall next to us into a fast-darkening sky.

Cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms. Interesting. But now wasn't the time for interesting. Suzy's last exclamation had left the back-and-forth moribund, and an emergency triage needed planning stat.

You know, I said, struggling to keep the excess of snark out of my voice, I think we were trying for more 'cryptic' and less 'clunky' with this conversation.

Suzy, however, did not bother - I could feel the acid on my skin before she could begin 'speaking'.

Hey, don't you pin it all on me! She protested. At least I'm trying. Unlike somebody, who's so above it all he doesn't think he needs to help.

Oh, now that stung. Almost too much. Hmmm. Could this be...

Something's eating you. So it would have been easier to rise to the bait. But behind every layer of salt was a wound; and sometimes it paid to heal by other means rather than rub it in. What is it?

You mean 'who is it'? And isn't it obvious?

Okay. Surprisingly simple. If unnecessarily sarcastic - patience, Ethel, no need to let your hypocrisy get the better of you.

So one can only suppose, I replied. This another boat-person thing?

Well.
One could almost see Suzy biting her lip as she fought to the find the words. Yes? It's hard to explain, like...a wound? Their bond, it's wounded. And it's like I can feel those cracks on my own skin. My partner 'shook' her head. No psion-shipgirl pairing should feel like this.

You know, no
relationship should be like that-

Aaaaand stop right there, me. If, maybe, would, should, could. Didn't...and given the way my lot was shaping up, might it ever? This Psion business really was more than I would have ever bargained for. It was hard, far, far too hard, to keep your other half -writ too large and standing too close- from seeping into you. Innocent yearnings, making you want. Wish.

That wasn't the worst of it: I couldn't even be sure if I was doing the same to her in return. A terrible thought.

Ethel? Suzy's 'voice' rang clear in my head, shaking that unpleasant reverie loose. You okay?

Ah, young lady, your genuine concern is wasted on me.

I'm fine. So, you gonna try again?

Try 'we',
Suzy retorted. And how about you show a little sincerity for a change?

Watch it now; heard me ol' Gran say once that huffing without diaphragmal support can permanently enlarge your nostrils. But nonetheless...

If you so require it, my lady, I declared most solemnly. Watch and learn.

I turned to Darius.

"So-"

"Excuse me, is this Table Five?"

Well. The benefits of psionics, ladies and gentlemen. Were I anything else, I would have had to suppress the urge to jump as a lady member of staff, all shock of flowing pink locks, and stark black vest and pencil skirt against white blouse, almost melted into view beside our table.

As it was, I had a moment to feel that flash of intent before it could make itself manifest. But even so, it was a touch-and-go thing. Was it just me, or…?

"Mini duck confit and azuki cheesecake, deluxe ootoro salad with house dressing, chips with Friss-style tahini, and one vanilla parfait - just as ordered," she declared, her up-to-the-ears smile and cheery voice as much unlike a sergeant at drill as her posture was similar. "Enjoy your meal!"

And it was indeed a very luscious confit, cheesecake, ootoro with house dressing, chips with Friss-style tahini, and one vanilla parfait. Just as ordered.

Each was also separated from my touch by a layer of plastic - not so as ordered.

"I believe we were eating in."

The accusation in Miria's voice at the service industry faux-pas as good as nonexistent. Indeed, she was the very image of calm - save for that strangeness in her stance, a hair too stiff and arched forward like a taut bow.

And while our first -and second and third- impressions hadn't been the best, she hardly seemed the sort to pick idle fights.

Our waitress leaned forward, as if to invite the challenge.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry. Could've sworn the order list says you asked for take-out." Her laughing eyes betrayed that apology as she brushed some stray bangs back behind her ears. "A prior arrangement, I'm led to believe."

That was when I saw it: an earring, looking for all the world like any other article of fashion. But not to us, no; and even if we hadn't already been briefed beforehand, I would have known its device anywhere.

An owl sitting atop an olive wreath, its left eye silver, its right ruby red, and under both a three-word exhortation lay, inscribed in dull black: Wisdom is supreme.

Well. Well then.

"It's gotten rainy - perhaps we'll stay," I began.

"How about an umbrella to ease the way?"

The waitress' face didn't shift a nanometer. But the truth was in the eyes, smiling more than ever before, and in the sudden drop in her voice below sotto voce, the practiced ease with which those words slipped out from barely opened lips.

"But have you brought enough for four?"

"Nay, we have enough for all."

"Seek not too earnestly, lest ye find..."

A clap of thunder fell fortuitous, almost masking her next words from even our ears.

"...the lies that truth hides itself behind."

Darius scratched at the back of his neck, bemusement written all over his face.

"I don't suppose you'll tell us 'how'?"

"I'm afraid we don't kiss and tell, cutie." I saw Miria shift a little at that, her otherwise efficient packing of our adhoc takeout into a foldover-top backpack interrupted for a moment, before resuming once again. "But if you could be waiting at Lehman's Boutique across the street in fifteen mikes,"

-and here the certainly-not-a-waitress winked-

"perhaps something might be arranged."

Darius' reaction to the brazen flirtation was a businessman's smile: genial, winsome, and devoid of meaning beyond common interest. Unexpected - but then again, who would be satisfied by being 'that guy embroiled in psionic domestic issues' forever?

"We'll see you there."

======

So he'd said, and so we'd thought.

But nothing could have prepared us for what we had seen outside Lehman's Boutique. I mean, this was a clandestine operation, wasn't it? Yes? Thank you. Very good.

Then what in tarnation was this six meter limousine doing parked squarely at the storefront, with long glossy black door just ajar enough for one to catch a glimpse of a vidscreen, an open minibar...and an honest-to-god butler manning said bar?!

And this wasn't mentioning our host. Her disguise long since discarded, she was now dressed for the occasion - for a given, 'classy evening wear' definition of occasion. Or at least, that was the impression the midnight blue thin-strapped dress, matching opera gloves and elegant come-hither gesture gave me.

"Pardon me, Audrey Hepburn," I said once I'd complied, sliding into a comfortable position in the rear seats, "but I thought we were aiming for stealth here."

"And Konrad is the post-scarcity tourist haven," she replied, as if I'd just asked the silliest thing in the world. "Some youthful indulgences are expected."

"Using audacity as camouflage," Darius observed as he, too, got comfortable.

That is to say, a mutually established half-meter or so away from his partner. This our hostess acknowledged with one raised eyebrow, but nothing more.

"Indeed," she replied, before turning back to me. "And as luck would have it, I am an Audrey." She spread her palms slightly at that. "Lieutenant Commander Audrey Eijal, Division Athene, Office of Naval Intelligence, at your service. No cats though. Iverson dislikes clearing furballs."

Our now identified 'butler' only nodded a little at that as he began to serve some drinks: a little house Apfelwein, by the looks of it.

All cut and dried and polite, this encounter. Like, even the drive was silent and smooth, almost oppressively so. Just as trained. Just as planned.

How droll; we'd have to change that.

"At our service, you say?"

"As much as I am able, Lieutenant Deschantes."

"Well then. Care to tell me how the old man's been holding up?"

Voila. Magic. Or should I say the flicker of a miracle, as genuine shock ran unchecked like an electric shock across Audrey Eijal's face for all of the instant she took to consign it back to oblivion.

Also entertaining were the confused looks on almost everyone else's faces, like garnish to a fine dish. Except Iverson, to whom I may as well have been opining 'it's a little pitter-patter out there' for the umpth time; and Miria, who toed some foggy line between bemusement and looking right past us.

But first, the news.

"If I may first ask-" Audrey began.

"How I know?" I asked, trying not to grin.

"Yes."

"Eh, it's just one of those things he'd just throw at me to figure out myself," I explained. "Sent me some essentials once when I was boarding in middle school. Mostly tailored fashion - which made the owl hairpin all the more odd. I'd never seen him mess up an order of anything, ever."

Or have something in his life that wasn't curated down to the last chiselled lapis-lazuli inlay.

Audrey considered my reply with a pursed lip. Ah, to be wrong-footed. Tragic.

"I think he would be pleased to know that you did not forget," she admitted. "My other superiors, however…"

"I doubt he'd care much what they think," I pointed out.

That got a tiny grin out of the Intel officer.

"On the contrary, I believe he might enjoy sampling their consternation. A trait you seem to share."

Ooch. What was that they said about the truth hurting?

"Uh." Ah, Darius Magayan, ever the star pupil. It took a real summa cum laude to follow the 'raise your hand and ask a question' rule in a casual context. "Are you guys by any chance talking about Ioannis Deschantes? As in, your father is RADM Ioannis Deschantes?"

"Why, yes we are. And yes, he is."

"And you didn't say anything?!" Hey, we only just met, man. And it was a long story in any case- or you could always look over at Suzy, man. The answers lie that-a-ways. Sure. "Did you know?"

My shipgirl partner cocked her head to one side in thought.

"Well," Suzy began, "Kinda? Didn't know this one story though."

You blocked me out there, she half-accused. Couldn't hear your train of thought.

It was good practice,
I joked.

Meanie.

Darius on the other hand was beside himself at my supposed betrayal, shaking his head with an accusing deliberate slowness.

"Man. I still can't believe neither of you thought to say anything."

"And I can hardly believe the number of leaks our security arrangements just sprung in the last two minutes-" Audrey commented, "but given that we share adjoining seats below the Alliance's sparkling marble tabletop, I'll let this slide. Besides, I do not think it that difficult a guess. Deschantes is a post-Contact surname - surely there could not be many of them about."

"As is yours, I believe," Miria piped up, making her first contribution to the conversation since its beginning.

"Indeed!" Audrey agreed. "I have Anguirian blood, though I was engineered recessive." Then in a decidedly un-ladylike maneuver, she stuck her tongue out. Her agile, pink, forked tongue. "Well, mostly recessive. There were a few hitches here and there; though for the better, I'd say."

'A few hitches', she said. Which, if one knew the Anguirian strains' more stubborn genetic vestigials, explained quite a bit about her fashion choices. The gloves, for example.

"Wow, that's so cool!" Good old Suzy, ever my foil. So happy to leave implications undelved. "Does it work like, you know-"

"Yes, it is completely functional," our host replied.

"Interesting," Darius mused, before turning to me. "What about you?"

I almost felt the part-Anguirian wince from where she sat. Too late - and 'getting awkward topics out of the way first' was a valid approach to relationships in any case.

"I'm adopted." That went better than expected. Darius only seemed to try melting into his seat like so much butter, a reaction I alleviated with a half-hearted smile. "As far as I know, I'm 100% Terran. Says so on the papers." I shrugged. "Never asked the old man what mix he was. I doubt he cares, really."

Audrey nodded, her face taking on a solemn note.

"That is true, and I am grateful that it is."

Then he was more a father to you than he ever was me, I refrained from saying.

But refraining from speech was not refraining from thought. Or rather, I had not restrained myself enough in this instance: Suzy's gaze flickered to meet mine, both brows deeply furrowed - an especially ugly expression on her otherwise pristine face, causing it to not so much wrinkle as crack

like a mask, perhaps

What?

or would you disagree

...Now see here, Mr. Voice-in-My-Head. I know you must have a schedule, swimming in the Dirac sea of my brain. Maybe it's even a busy one. But would it hurt to time your entrances just a bit better?

No? Right, right. Just a moment while I check on the ongoing conversation-

Huh. Nothing to see there: Suzy and Darius had turned the conversation towards Audrey's necklace, which on further inspection was a design native to the Western hemisphere of the Anguirian homeworld Rodus. Enameled Badb Roda fangs and purple quartz - what clan was that again? Thunderhides? Forgebolts? Nevermind.

Miria and Iverson on the other hand held themselves aloof: one to her own thoughts, and the other to his service, which was presently depositing a chalice glass of headless gold-amber onto the small table in front of me.

I supposed I could spare a minute from all that - after I'd had a quick taste of the cider. Or two.

Hmmm. Caramel, apricot, red apples, with notes of oak. Promising.

Ah, but that just meant that this conversation had things to live up to, didn't it?

======

I recognized the tableau laid out in my mind almost immediately: no proper Neo Avalonite could easily forget Platform One of Avalon Central Station: the high arched glass windows, bas-relief-lined walls, the Beaux-Art facades that disguised the trappings of the modern acropolis, and still call themselves one.

There was a difference of course. There always was, in these dream sequences. In this case, it was the mag-rail tracks, and the white expanse of nothing into which they stretched rather than to the east and west of the city that was my home.

Little threadbare for a mise-en-scene. Just a bit. But it was fitting: neither of us was going anywhere any time soon, after all.

"This a peace offering?"

I asked into empty air.

And empty air answered, 'rippling' to admit...well, no one. Not in the strictest sense, at least. A shimmering, vaguely humanoid outline was hardly nothing, but could not be identified either. Thus, something, but no-one.

Astute observation. Our previous meeting was no masterclass in execution. Adjustments had to be made.

"Great. Nice outfit, by the way."

I recall my previous appearance was what you call a 'faux pas'.

"No kidding," I tried not to scoff. "Like I said, though, you could work on the timing."

I fear I cannot choose my hour.

"Oh?"

Even so preserved by the artifact you term the, -and here there was a pointed pause- 'Warpstone', I am little better than an intruder. I belong neither to your mind, nor to this time. As it is, I am myself, but only barely. Disperse. Irregular. Much like-

-Ah, there lies our point of divergence, does it not?

"Sure does. Explain that one to me, please."

The figure did not respond immediately, instead beginning to pace on the yellow line between platform and track.

You are approaching a location of great import to this war you fight. This you know. But it shall be no less portentous to those you know as partners.

"And you know that, because-?"

I simply do. It is fragmented knowledge, I admit. The rhyme and reason escapes me. Yet even through your skin and flesh and mind, barely initiate to psionics, I know this for certain. The stars themselves cry out in this part of space, and every step these 'shipgirls' you walk alongside take echoes through it. It is- they are- strange. Wrong. It-

At that moment the entire world around us flickered and fuzzed like a failing holoscreen - before righting itself once more.

-apologies, the figure continued, as if nothing at all had happened. I digress.

No, I thought as privately as I could, you definitely seemed on to something there.

Good news, it didn't take, or Mental Mentor over here was doing a good job of hiding his comprehension. Bad news, this was something we'd have to shelve in the 'inactionable, potentially critical' intelligence folder. The most dangerous one of all.

"But they are here, aren't they?" I countered. Maybe this would jog some memories. "And they're helping us out of this jam."

For reasons you understand, surely. Or not. And was that sarcasm I detected? Did I really have that effect on anyone in my head for long enough? But if nothing else, I would prevail upon you to tread lightly.

"Mighty nice of you." I stretched a little, before stepping up to the yellow line, putting us parallel with one another. "Well, at least now I know for sure that this shindig is gonna go waaaay south."

Pardon?

"It's a narrative thing. Ghostly mentor figure shows up to warn the protagonist just before things get real tough." "A solid improvement, if you ask me. The last time a turn for the worse was communicated to me, I got my arm mulched first."

You consider yourself a hero?

There was a touch of wry amusement in those words.

"A protagonist," I corrected. "The protagonist of my own story. Becoming a hero isn't a matter of presumption, but assumption."

Very true.

And then, again. Another fizzle. But this time, it did not abate. Brick and mortar sloughed off the walls like dead skin as shattered smithereens from the glass dome roof faded into white wisps before they could touch the ground, which was itself falling away, the dust that descending into the white nothingness below fine enough to slip through my fingers.

It seems my strength fails. The creature's head was ruefully bowed. A pity. But perhaps-

"-If I could sit down with you later and figure out how to spare you a bit more brain-RAM, things might improve?" I shrugged. "Eh, sure, why not?"

Hey now, I have enough people in the physical world looking at me like I might grow another head and an extra arm made of incessant morphing flesh. No need for another person in my head.

To their credit, the figure recovered swiftly.

That is...hospitable of you.

"They call this give and take," I declared, unable to keep a grin of my own off my face. "A bit of my time for a bit of your time, and we both win. What do you say?"

The answer was a slow, fading thing, even as the world conjurer around us reached the nadir of its existence, encroached upon by a nimbus of white from all aside.

You are as generous as you are interesting. I wish you well, Ethel Deschantes. May we meet again in time.

"Time, eh?" I muttered, even as light swallowed all. "Ask me for anything but…"

======

"Nice of you to rejoin us."

The voice of Audrey Eijal greeted me as I came back to myself.

That, and the starry expanse that surrounded us on every side, wall and floor of what used to be our vehicle, sparing only our seats and the tables upon which sat our drinks.

A glance at the holoscreen separating us and the driver's section told me that it was no mere illusion: we were now travelling at 0.2c, 87,920,302 and counting kilometers away from Konrad's surface. The planet itself was already invisible to the naked eye, and Cielo Four was little better, only visible thanks to a highly zoomed-in image where out rear windscreen wipers should have been.

"Seems I was out a while."

"A quick nap," the part-Anguirian agreed with a deep chuckle, swirling some light pink drink in one gloved hand. "But I hope the day so far was not too tiring. We do have a stretch ahead, after all."

"I'll be fine," I replied.

Suzy nudged me from the side.

"You'd better! You were missing out!" A pout flashed across her face, before being replaced by her usual free-flowing enthusiasm. "It was so cool: I mean, I thought our car was kinda big, but it just slipped into the shuttle, no problem - and then woosh, up we went! And that wasn't even the best part," Suzy gushed, indicating the false-transparency in the floor and walls. "Look at the view in here! It's almost like we're floating in space."

"Yes, and this is different, say, from your own space travel?"

My partner's pout returned in full force at that jibe.

"It's perspective, Ethel." She groused, up in arms and up in my face. "Perspective!"

The Thirty Six Stratagems, Number Thirty Six: 'if all else fails, retreat'. Or in this case, look anywhere but into Suzukaze's eyes. Not to avoid the problem, no, of course not. Just taking stock of our situation like a good soldier should.

Iverson was nowhere to be seen - crewing the ship, most likely. Miria leaned against a wall of false stardust, eyes closed, while Audrey seemed content to observe. Which made Darius the standout, his amused quirk of the lip clashing with the look of naked env- no, not envy. No. More the look of a child who wanted something so badly, yet knowing that he could never have it.

And didn't I know how close by departures could poison the waters forever.

"I wonder how you survive her," he half murmured.

"Some would call it patience." I found my voice almost gentle in reply. "And you? Not going to wake Sleeping Beauty up?"

"Eh, Kumo usually does alright by herself," Darius replied, and suddenly his smile was so raw and real. "In fact, it's almost funny how she always-"

Paired amber flames sprang open.

"We're here."

Was it just me, or did the temperature just drop in the room? The tension in the room was a physical pressure, every last molecule of air trembling, waiting for something to happen.

"We're where now?" I asked, trying not to frown at the Fubuki-class' interruption.

Or at my tempting fate. Nothing good came of that.

"My, my." Audrey shook her head slowly, exasperation seeping into her voice. "Why am I even surprised anymore? But yes, as I said, Lieutenant Deschantes, this is the home stretch."

I might have challenged fate again, but for a sharp crack, reverberating through the void of space like the sound of a world breaking apart.

A moment later, it did. Rifts ran through the star-filled canvass before us, exposing it as exactly that - a shimmering horizon of countless rectangular hexes whose vivid colour faded into matte, all absorbing black as they slid away on top of each other.

Blue light stabbed through the gaps, blinding despite the filters our shuttle's optics had to have. I squeezed my eyes shut from that assaulting on my senses, but that deprivation did not block out the

rank smell of ozone

iron on his lips he can't feel his arm

the tunnels alight with a spear of flame that leaps in his hand, burning as it had once burned in years ages epochs eons past

Then we were through, our deceleration ramping up just enough to tug at my guts a little.

And then I opened my eyes.

What lay before us was a planet - such as it might have been. Once-seamless crust was now a crude coalescence of sundered rocks, held together by what seemed like the gnarled bones of a great tree, themselves glowing that pale, organic, familiar blue. Not a drop of ocean could be seen from orbit; empty basins scarred the jigsaw-jumbled surface.

But no mere husk of a world, however unusual, would warrant the vigilance of no fewer than two dozen ships of the line with their escorts, most painted the argent and gold of Fleet Group Olomouc and the planetary defense network they surrounded - not to mention the conspicuous mining ring that surrounded the planet shell.

No indeed, I thought as I gazed at the sole whole object on that dead world: a dark spire, stabbed like a dagger through the heart of the world, and even now standing defiant, throbbing, pulsing, alive with Abyssal flame that streaked out from its edges all across the withered rock.

Only sufficient motivation would warrant such attention.

"Like what you see?"

I could have sworn at the moment that Audrey was enjoying our surprise. Oh, she didn't show it, no. Spook training was too thorough for that, even disregarding the one who must have conducted it. But you could feel that, the tingle of pleasure a hair too intense to be duty's own satisfaction.

Besides, I could identify with schadenfreude.

"Depends." Darius replied, his voice tense. "What are we looking at?"

"Why, Cielo Four, of course." The part-Anguirian's smile grew. "Welcome to Ground Zero, friends."

===To be continued in Chapter 12: Spirit of Wrath===
=============

Aaaaaaaand we're alive!

This actually took less time than expected to come out, all things -work, band practices, gaming addiction- considered. I apologize for the wait, and I hope the chapter was worth it. As always, reviews and comments would be much appreciated.

If possible I'd also like some feedback on some specific things. Experiments, if you will, specific to this chapter that I am wondering if I should carry forward:

1. I have changed the format for flashbacks and dream sequences from the more visually apparent italics that I used before to switching up the tense and setting respectively due to some prior feedback (from @De3ta and @RazorBlaxe, specifically) that extended italics tended to mess with the exclusive access thought-speak had to that format. What do the rest of y'all think?

2. Author notes are now at the end of the chapter, so it doesn't mess with your reading. How's that for a change?

So yes. Feedback is much appreciated on these matters.

Again, I hope you have a decent read, and a great day.

Xena, away! :D

Last edited:
PSA: Chapter Housecleaning Pass
Every once in a while, you need to look back on the plans that you made, the plans that you had to change, and the words that flowed from those decisions.

Then you need to assess them.

Yes, this is the first (of more than one now and in the future) soft retcon pass of Writing Decisions I Made That I Hate Post-Facto. I've just decided to put down the changes for the sake of clarity, just in case anyone wants to check, or if any of these changes will confuse anyone at some point. Either way, this transparency strikes me as a good habit, so I'm doing it.

So a few edits have been -or will be made- to the various chapters:
- Chapter 9's ending was shortened because it contains a plot point that passed muster at first, but really went nowhere in my later story-plan passes. [DONE.]
- Chapter 5 and 7 were each supposed to contain a few lines that would give us some impression of what Graf Zeppelin/Amanda Reiner was able to do as a carrier in space (carriers have no real place in current Alliance naval doctrine w.r.t. post-orbital combat due to persistent tech issues with FTL-viable fighters; they are however still a thing in atmospheric interception and the very, very rare knife-fight.) Somehow, I forgot about these; they will be fixed in time. [IN PROGRESS.]

Again, have an awesome day folks!

Last edited:
Back