A Rasp of Sand (roguelike, water temple, dungeon crawler)

Voting is open
Agreed. No use hoarding items. Nets could be so useful when taking down monsters. Or even giving us a chance to disengage and run away. Also might even help out with swarms of larger creatures?

[X] Edevane Storage: Withdraw Sling
[X] Silverless Storage: Withdraw Shield
[X] Hatman Storage: Withdraw Slug (Regeneration)

[X] Peregrine gives the Sling to Clover. Barsaba trades the Spear with Leopold for Airbladder and Dagger.
[X] Hatman hands the Slug (Regeneration) to Edevane.

[X] Talk amongst themselves and decide that there will always be two person guarding Clover. Those two won't actively seek out enemies. That Clover should stay in the back and attack with the Sling or Sand. He'll try to stay out of the way of the monsters, letting the others deal with them.

[X] Head East

Last edited:
Generation 2 - Back to the Eerie
Leopold turned to the other Heirs. The motion made an audible noise, as the fish-scale style metal armour rattled against itself. "Peregrine. Barsaba. Clover. Last generation, Manawa sacrificed a Beetleman to the Temple. My mother made me promise to not let that happen again. I think you two should guard Clover." The Smuggler's voice was blunt and authorial, stark in its confidence, as if he knew he was speaking a truth.

The other Heirs all nodded. Peregrine and Barsaba gripped their harpoons, and stepped around Clover. Clover fingered the polished beach-stones she kept in a sack by her waist; ammunition for the sling. Leopold took the lead and marched into the tunnel leading east, spear and shield at the ready, shimmering light rippling off his iron armour.

Through the tunnel the room opened up into a startlingly familiar sight. The Heirs, through the Sand of their forebears, recognized this chamber in the Deep Queen's Temple. It was the gullture eerie; stinking guano ankle-deep, vine-wrapped walls, nests interwoven with seaweed and jetsam. Once again, there were 4 adult gulltures, and the sound of mewling young inside the nests - but this time, they weren't alone.

In the center of the room stood a massive hermit crabman, nearly 7 ft. tall with its hulking shell. Its shell had a banner displayed across it, with crude text reading, "Cl'ck'd m'lkrt kl'nt!" Its claws were snapping as it scuttled back and forth, trying to fend off the 4 ravening gulltures that were encircling it.

Exit tunnels across the room leading east and south could be seen.

What do you do?

[ ] Write-in.

THE MAP

You are in the bracketed room.

THE PARTY

Bend Fate: 1 Charge; Roll 2d20s and bank them. After casting this spell, whenever you must roll a d20 you must choose one of the previously rolled, banked dice and replace the dice you just rolled with it. Continue until all banked dice are used, or until your rest.

I should mention that Sand = XP, if you were wondering where the Sand for the Magician's ability comes from. Reminder that eating Sand from creatures allows you to experience something of their memories and emotions; sages in Manawa theorize that ingesting Sand from a freshly-slain creature causes you to take on their traits, for better or for worse. Whether this is sacrilegious or not is hotly debated amongst the Old Families.

That body floating up like that was eerie. You wrote the new starting well. There's this feeling of history as generations and generations try their luck in the Deep. The new mechanics about power progression of the heirs over time sounds heartening well.

It'd still be nice to have esoteric hints about the exits though. Maybe iconography of the deep queen adorning them.. or clues like wafting stench or sounds. Or perhaps things like vegetation adorning the exits or.. just things like a feeling of foreboding or exhilaration. The Salt crown pulsing responding to the Queen's will?

Question about the Fisher. I thought the Fishers used the ranged version of the Harpoons though? We might want to bring in the Sling from the last expedition then.. Also do we already have a Dotter? Please bear with us, it's fun learning about this system and mechanics and we'll make occasional mistakes understanding :p
Appreciate the compliment, it means a lot! Those are great suggestions for hints; I'll probably generate the first 3 rooms of a floor going ahead so I can hint about their contents. Fishers DO get a harpoonbow and Dotter companion!...eventually. The harpoonbow unlocks on the 3rd generation of being a Fisher, and the Dotter on the 4th. No worries, I'm glad you're finding it fun learning the system!

I see Peregrine has a weighted net on him. Can that be used to immobilize some enemies? And _brightwing is right that cryptic hints about the directions would be the best and a chance to go over the new heirs abilities/gear before picking a direction is good.
Absolutely, I'll probably make it a ranged attack roll to hit with the net, and then have the netted enemy be easier to hit, and force them to make a STR save with disadvantage to throw off the net.

Last edited:
Aww that scene where Leopold took charge and mentioned the last Beetleman was heartwarming. It translated really well narratively!

Think we should save the AoE spell, lest we hit Mr Crab as well.

I'm thinking..

[X] Party wide Bless. Depending on the priest's capability frontal fighters get Bless priority. Make sure not to waste too much time.
[X] going all out on the two nearest gultures. And then falling back on defense to fend off retaliation as a group this time. Factoring in to leave the ones the Krab man is directly attacking be for now.

Last edited:
[X] Party wide Bless. Depending on the priest's capability frontal fighters get Bless priority. Make sure not to waste too much time.
[X] going all out on the two nearest gultures. And then falling back on defense to fend off retaliation as a group this time. Factoring in to leave the ones the Krab man is directly attacking be for now.

Good to see some character from our heirs. Last run ended a bit too quickly for anything to happen, so here's to hoping this time goes better!

Sorry for the delay friends; I live in western British Columbia and we've got hammered by apocalyptic floods recently. The premise of this game is coming to haunt me, haha! I still intend to continue - hang tight, and thanks for your patience.

Oh my gosh I hope you guys are okay! I thought you were busy with work or something. Take as much time as you need until things settle down. Quest go on hiatus or restart all the time around here, it's no big deal.

Voting is open
Back