A New Eden [Sci-fi, AI, Aliens, Space, Mystery, Thriller, Adventure]

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

A sci-fi thriller space adventure involving AI, aliens, mysteries, and explorers terraforming planets - join me as I release chapters every Saturday.

Synopsis: Trillion wasn't expecting to have her mind uploaded into a spaceship today. But it happened and now there's no turning back for her and three others.

The four of them now travel through space, looking for new worlds to terraform - looking to build A New Eden.

Their hasty departure meant they weren't prepared for what they encountered out in space. They discovered mysteries they needed to solve. They entered battles they didn't have a hope of winning. And, they needed to find creative solutions to problems they didn't know were possible.

A New Eden is fully written. It's currently with the editor for final touches. I'll release new chapters (at a minimum) every Saturday NZ time.

What to expect:

- Expect a fast start, a mystery filled middle, and a meaningful end

- Expect to meet Aliens that are truly alien

- Expect to explore creative strategies for terraforming planets

- Expect a lot of mystery and unexpected discoveries out in space

- Expect enough science to make the world feel real

- Expect enough Clarke tech to make the world feel magical

- Expect characters to have strong and different POVs

- Expect to watch characters deal with situations they never thought were possible

- Expect characters to make mistakes
A New Eden [Sci-fi, AI, Aliens, Space, Mystery, Thriller, Adventure]
A sci-fi thriller space adventure involving AI, aliens, mysteries, and explorers terraforming planets - join me as I release chapters every Saturday.

Synopsis: Trillion wasn't expecting to have her mind uploaded into a spaceship today. But it happened and now there's no turning back for her and three others.

The four of them now travel through space, looking for new worlds to terraform - looking to build A New Eden.

Their hasty departure meant they weren't prepared for what they encountered out in space. They discovered mysteries they needed to solve. They entered battles they didn't have a hope of winning. And, they needed to find creative solutions to problems they didn't know were possible.

A New Eden is fully written. It's currently with the editor for final touches. I'll release new chapters (at a minimum) every Saturday NZ time.

What to expect:

- Expect a fast start, a mystery filled middle, and a meaningful end

- Expect to meet Aliens that are truly alien

- Expect to explore creative strategies for terraforming planets

- Expect a lot of mystery and unexpected discoveries out in space

- Expect enough science to make the world feel real

- Expect enough Clarke tech to make the world feel magical

- Expect characters to have strong and different POVs

- Expect to watch characters deal with situations they never thought were possible

- Expect characters to make mistakes

Chapter 1: TRILLION – We Need to Leave Mars
"We must leave Mars today!" One of the holographic heads shouted.

Trillion von Nichol disagreed with the floating head, although she knew his opinion didn't carry much weight. It was Peter's opinion that mattered ultimately – he was the one footing the bills. "Peter, what do you think?"

Dr Peter Atreus was almost ninety – but he didn't look it. Perhaps his dark skin gave him an advantage over some of the other team members whose lighter skin meant they looked twice his age, despite being half it. Trillion thought he was living proof of the saying, 'black don't crack'.

Peter looked down, as if he was unsure about what he was about to say. "Just because Earth elected a luddite doesn't mean we have to leave Mars today – we're not ready!"

Trillion shook her head at that comment. It always amused her when her colleagues used the word 'luddite'. She found it ironic that earlier today she had to wheel in a large screen to project Peter's face onto just because he refused to have a holographic projection recorder installed in his home office. "Peter, let's not call them luddites. I'm sure, to them, we're the luddites."

Atlas turned his head towards her. He just as old, but much better looking than Peter; the two of them had worked together to create this mission for years. "What should we call them then?" He challenged.

She shrugged, not wanting to get into this argument again. "Never mind."

She watched Peter's mouth move, but no sound was coming out. "You're on mute, old man."

The red mute symbol disappeared from his screen. "There is nothing to fear in the Fermion Party. As with all political parties. They had to use extremist language to please their voter base. They might be the biggest political party on Earth, but this is Mars."

She could understand half the group's fear. Everyone on the conference call would eventually become a von Neumann probe. And stopping them was one of the campaign promises the Fermion Party made.

It was true that they all hated the Fermion party. But there wasn't much they could do. Besides, she didn't want to leave yet. She hadn't said goodbye. She wasn't ready.

The arguments began to get heated. Even Icarus started yelling. He was a short Japanese man who loved getting up to mischief. "Those are not extremist beliefs anymore, Dr Atreus! We must accept the fact that these views are now mainstream political views on Earth. Killing Mars is now a mainstream talking point!" Icarus said.

Peter raised his hands, quieting the room. "Calm down everyone."

The atmosphere was getting intense as different people began yelling on the call. Trillion tuned out, only hearing bits and pieces of it.

"I won't calm down. Yes, it's unlucky that they can't afford to visit another planet. But that doesn't mean they have to stop us from travelling!"

"Atlas, don't get prejudiced."

"Peter, I'm not prejudiced. I'm just honest. This is exactly why we need to launch the colony ships ASAP. If we don't have independent colonies of humans then we are at risk of lunatics like these destroying us!"

Trillion jumped to her feet. She could see Peter speaking but she wasn't listening to his words. A guy had appeared in the background holding a gun. Trillion pointed at the screen with urgency. "Dr Atreus! Dr Atreus!"

The room went silent as everyone noticed the man, helpless to do anything. They could see everything. Hear everything.

The gunman was unaware he was on camera. "Peter, you are breaking multiple treaties outside of the metaverse," he said darkly. "You left us no choice."

Peter spun around. "You have no authority here!" he bellowed in surprise.

How did he have a gun? Trillion thought to herself. Guns weren't allowed on Mars. "Dr Atreus, the gun isn't real. There are no guns on Mars."

Peter must have realised it too. He was slowly walking towards the man, hands raised slightly as if surrendering.

The man had quite a speech, but she had heard it before. All those crazy Fermions believed the same thing.

"Life isn't meant to explore the stars," he continued. "If life was, we would have been visited by aliens already. You know this, Peter. You know the answer to 'Where are all the aliens?' is they're in the metaverse. There are an infinite number of virtual worlds. Why the obsession with this one?"

Peter was enraged now. "You mean the real world!" he shouted, lunging forward. The two men wrestled for a moment, the man with the gun clearly stronger. They fell to the floor and rolled out of view of the camera.

Bang. The gun went off.

Everyone gasped. Trillion's brain moved a million miles an hour. What had just happened? Was Peter shot? She was in shock. She heard voices shout out for Peter.

"Peter!"

"Peter. Peter!"

"Dr Atreus."

"Peter Atreus."

"Director."

Trillion's voice was drowned out by everyone speaking at once.

The connection to the video call disconnected and the holographic images of everyone disappeared. Trillion was in the conference room with three others. Icarus, Atlas, and Angelique – all four of them were scheduled to monitor the Isaac Arthur Mars base over the weekend.

Icarus stood beside Trillion, holding his phone up in the air as he tried to get reception. "My phone just lost signal."

Trillion looked at the others of them in shock. "How did they smuggle onto Mars? Guns are illegal here. Who would use a gun when you're in the vacuum of space?"

Icarus pointed at his head, as if to say only crazy people. "Someone who didn't care about the consequences of holes in space. Someone who isn't planning on being here long."

"Someone not from around here," Angelique added.

All three of them looked towards Atlas, all knowing what this meant but not wanting to voice it. They knew those people were from the Fermion Party. They also knew they didn't have much time. If they had taken out Peter, then the rest of them were next.

"We planned for this, team," Atlas said. "Peter did not believe it would happen. But it looks like they are moving in on us." He pulled something out of his pocket and handed it to Trillion. It was a key card. "Take this. It will get you into my office. There is a safe in the corner. Behind the seat, embedded into the wall. Open it. You will find twelve solid plastic boxes about the size of a match box. Those are the two factor authentication codes. Grab the one with each of our names on them. Open the boxes. There will also be a pair of in-ear buds. Put those on. Then bring the boxes back to me. Take Icarus with you. Meet Angelique and me at airlock F twenty-seven."

Trillion looked at him incredulously. "What are you going to do?"

"We're going to get our spacecraft ready," Atlas said with a smile.

Just then the door to the conference room swung open, revealing a man with a gun.

He pointed the gun towards Atlas, Icarus and Angelique, unaware that Trillion was standing behind the door, out of view. All three of them raised their hands.

As the gunman slowly walked into the room, Trillion knew the gun was real. She no longer questioned the need to leave Mars today. At that moment she knew she had to stop the gunman. They had to leave. She steadied herself, knowing she had to do something before he saw her.

She drew in a deep breath and lunged towards his arm in an attempt to knock the gun out of his hand.

She managed to get one hand on the barrel of the gun, her momentum carrying her forward as she slammed into the door. She kept her grip on the gun, but the man would not let go. Somehow she managed to wedge his hand in the door. The man yelled as Trillion's weight slammed the door into his arm. He finally let go of the gun and Trillion fell, the gun still in her possession.

Icarus and Atlas pushed up against the door, wedging the man's hand in place. It was most likely broken, given the obvious pain he was in.

Angelique helped Trillion up. "Are you alright?"

Angelique was the youngest in the group, but she was one of the hardest working people she knew which made it shocking when she found out that Angelique used to work in real estate. The only thing Trillion disliked about Angelique was her ginger hair. Trillion had red hair, a much brighter shade of red too. Trillion disliked the fact that having two people on the team with red hair meant every time the two of them walked into a room together it was the first comment people made. She hated that.

A few moments later the team had gathered themselves. Trillion held onto the gun as they opened the door. "Who are you?" she demanded, pointing the gun at the stranger.

He stared blankly, clutching his hand.

Angelique cracked. She kicked his broken arm. "You killed Pete!"

The gunman started talking after that. He was twenty-three. Maybe twenty-four. Young. Filled with hatred. Filled with extremist views.

They interrogated him but he didn't know much. He was part of the Fermions. It was a full-on attack of Mars. They had hacked into the satellite systems, shut off all internet access.

They learnt that he was to move them into the prison cells and wait for further instructions. The man guessed that they were we to be transported back to Earth.

He wasn't very useful for learning more about the plan but he was full of derogatory terms, calling them names, trying to argue that humanity had already ruined Earth – it didn't need to go and ruin other planets.

The team tied him up and removed his phone and watch.

Atlas reiterated the plan. "We need to move fast. We don't know how many of these people there are."

Trillion handed Atlas the gun. "You and Angelique take this. You might need it because of where you're going. Icarus and I should be fine without it."

The two teams took off.

Chapter 2: ATLAS – Preparing the Spaceship
As Atlas and Angelique left they resisted the urge to run in case they encountered something around a corner.

The base was deserted. As they made their way down the hall Atlas wondered how someone had managed to get into the base at this time of night. "Why is the world so crazy right now?"

Angelique looked at Atlas. "It's the pace of change that is making the world go crazy. We haven't seen this much innovation since the industrial revolution. I think everyone is fighting over the pieces."

He smiled at her. "Well, actually, you might be too young to have experienced this, but I've lived through two massive changes in humanity."

"Getting phones wasn't as big a change as AI," Angelique remarked with a side-eye.

He shrugged. "It's not as big as what is happening today. But it did completely change the way society operated."

"Hmmm, phones were a tiny blip compared to AI," Angelique said, rolling her eyes. "The singularity event of 2025 changed the world order, just like the industrial revolution turned America into a superpower. AI has made a tiny country with only five million people into a superpower."

The door in front of them distracted them from their debate; they had arrived at the mission control centre. The room was half full of rows of empty desks – it wasn't scheduled to be fitted out for a few months.

They walked past the rows of empty desks. They kept walking until they reached a security door on the other side of the room. Where Atlas punched in several numbers, then scanned his fingerprint. He opened the door and walked through, Angelique following close behind.

There were three computer desks in this room. Atlas looked at each of the computers, reading the sign next to each one. He pointed at the one in the middle. "You need to connect onto that computer. You'll have to use my credentials."

"What do you need me to do?" asked Angelique as she pulled out the chair and sat down in front of the screen.

"Your terminal unlocks the embryos. Begin the unlocking sequence and depressurising the freezers. We need to get them moved onto the freezers on four spacecraft ASAP. We're lucky there was a test launch scheduled for tomorrow. So our spacecraft are mostly ready to launch," Atlas explained as he sat down in front of another computer and started typing away furiously. He found the screen he wanted and scanned the information, pulling up a list of available ants.

Ants stood for automated networked tactical spacecraft. Ants were automated bots that could operate in both space and on planets. By default ANTs had six legs and one arm at the front. Each leg had an magnetoplasmadynamic, or MPD, arcjet at the bottom capable of moving the robotic creature in and out of orbit. This made them ideal multi-purpose vehicles for their mission.

He clicked through the various configurations, looking for a particular model of ant. There wasn't a search function so he had to scroll through the options one at a time. After, what felt like forever, he eventually found what he was looking for. This ANT was about the size of a motorbike but had a sealed chamber inside its centre capable of moving the embryos across the Martian surface. He sent all two hundred of them to the cryonics centre on the base. "I'm sending a fleet of ANTs to start picking up the embryos."

Angelique glanced at him, then turned back to her screen. "I've been going through everything we have in the cryonic centre. How did we get some of these things? There's everything from elephants to whale embryos in here."

Atlas shrugged. "I think some of that is just printed from DNA sequences. The technology to actually grow those is impressive, but I know Peter had been planning this for years. He buys some of this stuff from the dark web. So, let's just hope it works."

Atlas pointed at an image of one of the spacecraft on his computer. "Don't you find it mind-blowing that one of these spacecraft can produce as much energy as Earth used only twenty years ago?"

Angelique looked at him with an expression of 'duh'. "That's the point I was making only a moment ago. The singularity has changed the world more than phones ever did."

Atlas smiled. "Okay, I believe you." He turned his head back to typing.

Angelique stood up from her computer and looked for a switch at the back. "My computer just turned off. Is yours on?"

Atlas looked away from his typing. "It shouldn't be able to turn off," Atlas replied. As he stood up to look at Angelique's terminal, he noticed his computer switch off too. "They're shutting us out."

Angelique nodded. "This is bad."

"Me too. Did you manage to get the orders out before your terminal shut down?"

"I think so," Angelique said pointing to her computer. "There's not much we can do now anyways."

"Agreed." Atlas turned away from both the computers. "That also means they know where we are."

Atlas walked over to the door and peered out. "There's no one out there." He waved his hand, ushering Angelique over so they could get going. He could sense her fear as she walked past.

They snuck out the door and past the row of tables, but instead of leaving the way they came, Atlas turned left this time, making his way towards another door. "Let's see what we're dealing with."

He typed a code into the keypad and opened the door to a security room filled with camera screens. They looked at each of the screens, spotting Trillion and Icarus in his office. On one of the others they could see five men. They were searching the sector of the base near the airlock they needed to use to get to the spacecraft.

Atlas took a deep breath. "That's not good. We need to get going now."

They started walking briskly, taking a back passage to avoid being seen by the men.

Atlas whispered as they slipped through a door. "The spacecraft should be fully loaded by now. There should be an airlock around that corner. Let's put on the spacesuits and get ready to enter the airlock as soon as the other two get here."

Angelique nodded, struggling to hide the concern on her face.

Chapter 3: TRILLION – Hello Ship
Trillion wondered what it was going to be like to lose her body. All the training had put her in peak mental health but it felt like such a waste of training. During the academy they explained that being in peak shape helped the brain become more accepting of what she'd be able to do. Once she's a simulation. Once she left her body. She pushed those existential thoughts to the back of her head as they arrived at the office.

She swiped the card. The door unlocked.

"Icarus, you open the safe. I'm going to find a weapon. I know Atlas keeps something in here."

She rummaged around in the drawers. A paper knife. A paper weight. Something.

"So we're going to die today?" Icarus said as he opened the safe. He started going through all the boxes, putting the ones with each of their names on them in a pile.

Trillion raised an eyebrow. "I'm not sure it counts as dying if we wake up in the same body."

"I'm getting a new body. I'm going to come back as an anime cartoon."

"A cartoon? Icarus, that's gotta be the most cliché Japanese thing ever."

Trillion smiled a little when she thought about what Icarus would look like as an anime character. She thought he'd look funnier as a Simpsons character.

"I think I might change my last name to von Neumann," she said, thinking about what changes she'd make.

Icarus stared at her blankly. Then she watched as it turned around in his head. He smiled when he finally understood. "You and Atlas are the same. You both have a creative way of naming things."

"What do you mean?"

"Okay, changing von Nichol to von Neumann is clever. But have you heard about the eleph-ants?"

"No, what are they?"

"Just wait until you see them on your spacecraft. One of Atlas's inventions."

Trillion found what she was looking for. A small knife. More of a butter knife. But still a weapon.

Icarus handed Trillion a box. "I've got all four. Here's yours."

She opened it. There was a small earpiece in the box. She placed it in her ear.

"Hello. Ship, is that you? Hello?"

No response.

"Mine's not working either," Icarus said, tapping on his ear. "We can't connect to the Ship's AI if they've disconnected the satellite network. Maybe this network is down too."

Trillion looked at her other earpiece. She turned it around.

"Trillion fun fact. Each of these AIs are unique to each of us. That's why we all have separate headphones. They will all start off the same, but should evolve with us."

Trillion found a little button. She clicked it. "It should work – the communication network from the Ship should be independent of Mars. Them hacking that network shouldn't impact us."

She placed the earpieces back in her ears.

"Hello Trillion."

"Hey Ship, do you know what happened?"

"Yes, I've been monitoring everything from onboard. Are we leaving soon?"

"Yes. It's time to put all our practice into action."

Icarus and Trillion both spoke to their respective Ship's AIs, instructing them to prep each spaceship for launch.

Getting Atlas and Angelique's ships to capitulate was a little harder. They did not recognise the voices, so a randomly generated string of ten numbers had to be read out. Luckily the box had a little calculator device that produced these numbers.

Both Trillion and Icarus could feel the pressure. They felt like they had been in the same place for too long. They closed Atlas's office and took off at a run.

As they ran, Trillion started to question everything. Did she really need to go off into space? Had she had enough time to think about everything? Was she really going to be the same person?

She stopped running and began to walk. "Icarus, I don't think I fully understand why we can't just wait until we get old before uploading our mind."

Icarus slowed down too, walking in lockstep. "It's a long journey. You'll be bored out of your mind travelling through space alone. At least as a simulation, you can turn off and then wake up in another system."

Trillion nodded. "Okay. But then why do we have to be changed? Why can't I stay myself? Why does my personality need to be changed?"

"It's simple, Trillion. We'll be on this journey for thousands of years. Maybe even longer. Humans get bored of things easily. If we don't hardcode us to 'want to seed worlds', in five hundred years we probably won't want to seed worlds with life. Besides, Trillion, as soon as you achieve that goal, that desire is deleted from your matrix. It goes away."

"What do you want to do after that?"

"Not sure. Explore the galaxy. Come back to Earth. What about you?"

"I might write a book about this adventure."

They picked up the pace again, rounding the final corner. Up ahead they could see Angelique and Atlas hastily putting on spacesuits.

"We need to leave now!" Atlas urged, indicating two suits nearby. "Hurry!"

Trillion could see the fear in Atlas's eyes. He was afraid of something. His hands were shaking. She had handed him the gun. "What happened, Atlas?"

He didn't answer. He looked over her shoulder and turned white with fear. Trillion spun around and saw five men running towards them. She recognised one of them because he had a bandaged hand. He was the guy they had tied up and left in the conference room. They were all armed, pointing guns at the four of them.

"Freeze right there!" one of them yelled. "You're under arrest."

Trillion hoped they wouldn't be stupid enough to shoot at an airlock door. Although they had shot Peter. This was obviously serious enough to shoot first and ask questions later.

It was a race now. The four of them jumped into the airlock and closed the door, frantically attempting to get their suits on. Trillion hadn't got her helmet on yet. Only Atlas had his helmet on, she realised.

Atlas put his hand over the airlock switch. "Sorry team, I need to start decompressing the chamber now."

Trillion took deep breaths out, trying to expel the oxygen being sucked out of her body. She managed to get the helmet onto her head, but she was fumbling with the four clips she needed to close. She was running out of breath. One at a time she managed to clip down each of the four latches, finally securing her helmet in place. She was light-headed but she could finally breathe. She stood there waiting for the airlock to cycle out all the air.

Their pursuers were now on the other side of the airlock but they were making no attempt to open the door. They stood there smiling, clearly happy with themselves. Strange, Trillion thought. Soon she and the others would be safely on the Martian landscape. On the way to each of their launch pads.

A shiver went up Trillion's spine. The man with the bandaged hand was staring at her, an evil look on his face. He smiled wickedly at her. She imagined a spider grinning at its prey stuck in its web. She had broken his hand. And he was coming for her.

Chapter 4: TRILLION – The Betaverse
Trillion's mental clock told her it was taking longer than normal. She could tell the atmosphere was gone. The suit had the rigid feel they get when operating in a vacuum. But the airlock door hadn't automatically opened. Perhaps that was why the men outside looked happy. Did they not realise the outer door could be opened manually?

As if thinking the same thing, Icarus walked over to the outer airlock. "I think they shut the airlock down, hoping to trap us in here. We'll have to manually operate the door."

The plan to trap them in there might have worked if they hadn't already cycled the air out. Airlocks were designed to make it easy for people to get into them. Not out of them.

Angelique joined Icarus at the airlock door. There was a large metal wheel set into the door. It was used to manually wind the door open or shut. It was useful in times of emergencies, like when the power cut off on the mechanical doors. Or, as Trillion thought, when there were five men with guns on the other side.

As they began to turn the wheel, the room glowed a shimmer of blue. It was the blue shimmer that always accompanied a haptic hologram projector coming online. Or hapticgram as its inventor had named it. The blue shimmer was added to signal to anyone seeing it, that the hologram could interact with the world. Atlas had invented the hapticgram about six months ago. He had installed it on all the airlocks as a safety measure. His words – 'it's faster to stream into the airlock to help someone than to run down and open the doors'. Trillion guessed Atlas was regretting being so adamant they were installed.

Unlike normal holograms, hapticgrams look like bubbles rising out from the ground, whereas holograms just appear. Hapticgrams rise into place. They watched as two people emerged, one of them a woman. Possibly in her mid-forties, she had the look of someone who was used to being in control. She stood upright, hands behind her back, the stars on her shoulder showing she was the General of Earth's Spaceforce. That would make her Sarah Walker. Her hapticgram was large – bigger than the average human. Designed to be larger than the four Beta Explorers.

A man rose up out of the ground. His hand reached out and grabbed hold of the wheel Icarus and Angelique were turning. It froze in place. The hapticgram was strong enough to lift a human; it needed to be if there was ever a problem in the airlock, so stopping the other two from turning the mechanical door was easy. The man had a buzz cut and his lapel showed he was a corporal. Simply there to be the muscle. He was surprisingly shorter than everyone – the hapticgram only had enough material to create two average-sized humans. They must have chosen to make General Walker larger at the cost of the grunt.

"This is Lieutenant General Sarah Walker of the United Earth Spaceforce. You four are to be relocated to Earth. We have an extradition order signed here." The voice of General Walker beamed through her suit's headphones.

Atlas wasted no time in replying. "You have no jurisdiction on Mars."

That line must have gotten under General Walker's skin. A flash of anger hit her face, which made sense. She had to have been in the Spaceforce before Earth and Mars split. Her head snapped in Atlas's direction. "This is the betaverse. I have full jurisdiction in the betaverse."

There was that word again. Trillion hated that word. Once humanity began spending more time in the metaverse and once humans in the metaverse outnumbered those in the real world, they had started calling the real world the betaverse – the beta version of the metaverse.

General Walker wasn't done with her speech. Like all people of power, long monologues and speeches came easy to her. "You're all smart people here. You must clearly understand why we haven't seen any aliens? The Fermi Paradox as it has come to be called."

She paused for dramatic effect. "The answer is simple. Any sufficiently advanced civilisation chooses to explore the depths of the metaverse. Leaving the betaverse behind."

"That's not true," Atlas snapped. "It only takes one set of people to go out and explore to destroy your whole argument. We are going to explore now. We'll prove your argument is wrong."

General Walker didn't even look at him when she responded. "Ah, and this is where I know I'm right." She smiled. "The fact we haven't seen any aliens is proof you have no chance of succeeding. Civilisation leaders like me must have a one hundred per cent success rate at stopping crazy people like you. Otherwise, you're right, and we would have seen an alien already."

Icarus had his turn to argue. Trillion knew he had thought about the Fermi Paradox a lot. They'd had many deep conversations about it, both wondering if they would ever see alien life. Icarus had a fascination with languages and saw translating an alien language as his ultimate goal.

Icarus pointed a finger up at the general. "All alien life somehow coming together and ALL agreeing not to communicate with any other life is a lot of rubbish. It doesn't make logical sense. It just takes one rogue person in a species to send a message to our system, and boom! They let the cat out of the bag."

General Walker turned around to face Icarus. He still had one hand on the airlock door.

The general shook her head. "That argument assumes it's easy. A rogue member of a species would need to, one, have the ability to do it, and two, have the ability to keep doing it until someone eventually hears them, regardless of who was trying to stop them."

She turned around facing away from the four of them. The gesture was deliberate, as if she was saying 'you four are trapped now so she was becoming bored of them. "Let me put it another way. A rogue person could wipe out most of humanity – engineering diseases; sending a relativistic asteroid to all three planets; the list goes on. But the reason it hasn't and won't happen is because it is not easy. And there will always be people like myself stopping them."

Trillion always held her thoughts privately. In a way she could see the general's point of view.

"The point you four have failed to grasp is that the Fermi Paradox has a solution. It's quite obvious when you think about it. Our greatest super computers have crunched the numbers thousands of times. And each time they come up with the exact same conclusion." General Walker took a deep breath.

Trillion wondered why she spoke with so much theatre. They understood Earth's arguments. They didn't agree with them, but they understood them.

"Any sufficiently advanced civilisation," the general continued, "would choose to live in a simulated world because it is infinite. Any sufficiently advanced civilisation would choose to leave other worlds alone because doing so would limit the number of possible outcomes. Humanity is a sufficiently advanced civilisation. We have a moral duty to grow the number of possible outcomes. Not shrink them."

This is where Trillion lost all sense of logic. How would them exploring the galaxy have any impact in the richness and diversity of experiences possible in the universe? Trillion and others were going to colonise other planets for humanity. They would bring human life beyond our current solar system. And be the first humans to ever visit another system.

Trillion could feel her suit getting less stiff. They were re-pressurising the airlock. It wouldn't be long before the men on the other side of the airlock had her in handcuffs and headed for Earth. She figured she had nothing to lose. She spoke up for the first time during this interaction. Almost like a school kid, she reflexively raised her right hand into the air as if to ask a question. The ease she felt in moving the spacesuit indicated the room was almost fully pressurised.

"I don't understand. How are we limiting the potential experiences in the universe?" Trillion asked.

General Walker's head turned to face Trillion. "Is it not true that we can simulate an infinite amount of universes?"

"Yes. But that's not the point," Trillion replied.

"No, it's the point exactly. It's a mathematical certainty that the number of experiences you can have in the metaverse is greater than the betaverse. The metaverse is infinite. The betaverse is finite."

"Yeah, but why should that stop us from exploring the 'betaverse'?" Trillion mimed quotation marks with her fingers. She hated how much that word had grown on her the past several years. But she still hated to say the damn thing. She wondered what prison was like on Earth. Was it in the metaverse or the betaverse?

It was a while before General Walker responded. "Don't you see? If you go and seed a world, that world could then only evolve life that is compatible with Earth life. That limits the possible evolutionary paths."

"This isn't about that. This is about ensuring humanity is around for the next several million years. Having us based in multiple systems guarantees that if anything happens on Sol we will still survive."

"A million years from now, a colony separate from Sol won't be humans."

Trillion was stumped. She hated having arguments with others on the spot. And General Walker was quick. She had answers to everything. Trillion was about to sit down, resigning herself to being captured, when she heard a voice in her ear.

"Trillion, it's Ship."

She still had her earpiece on. She could still communicate with the ship.

"When I didn't see you come out of the airlock, I started checking on you Trillion. I think I know how to get you out of there."

Trillion didn't say a thing, afraid she might give up their one trump card.

"There is an emergency kill switch to your right. Peter added it after realising the flaw in Atlas's design. If you pull that down the hapticgram will turn off."

Trillion looked to her right. Sure enough there was a large switch. The words read Hapticgram Engine On.

General Walker was still monologuing. Trillion waited for a distraction. It wasn't long until Atlas jumped in with a counter argument. Trillion dived for the switch with her right hand and pulled it down.

The whole room suddenly flashed yellow and red. Emergency lights started rotating around the room. Presumably to signal the emergency switch had been flicked. As the lights flashed General Walker and the corporal melted into a sea of marbles. The room was filled with tiny pea-sized marbles which began to bounce off the walls. Flicking the switch had obviously killed the magnets controlling the haptic engine, dropping them to the floor.

"We need to go now," Trillion said, almost willing Icarus and Angelique to wind the door airlock door amidst the chaos of tiny balls bouncing around them.

Icarus grabbed the mechanical airlock door and spun it hard. It didn't budge.

Angelique joined in and it started to move, slightly at first, then more smoothly. It took several turns and a lot of effort, but finally the outer airlock door was opened. Trillion expected to get sucked through the door, but it was more of a strong breeze as the airlock unpressurised.

Millions of tiny balls spilled through the door as the four of them made their escape, trying not to trip over them on the way out.

Atlas grabbed a large rock and shoved it in the airlock door, preventing the men from closing the outside door to repressurise it. Effectively making the closest airlock to the launchpad useless so the gunmen would have to use another airlock.

As the team took off they had a good five hundred metres of red Martian regolith to cross before reaching the first of the launch pads. There were sixteen launch pads in total, all evenly spaced in a grid format hundreds of metres apart.

The Martian gravity made getting around in spacesuits easy. They were all equipped with a smart exoskeleton that made the Martian jump-skip-walk technique so much easier to do. The team began to jump-skip out of the airlock, out towards the launch pads.

Chapter 5: TRILLION – Take-off
Trillion's communication speaker was still picking up the ramblings of General Walker. But as she got further and further away the general's voice started to drop off, making way for the team to speak freely with each other again. They still didn't want to risk anyone hearing them so they kept their details sparse.

Atlas explained the plan as they walked. "We each have a specific launch pad. Because our individual brain matrixes are already loaded into them we can't use anyone else's spacecraft – those brain matrixes were physically built to match each of our brains. Trillion, you're the lucky one. You're going to launch pad A1. It's the first one we will reach. From there Angelique and I will split off to launch pads D2 and D4. Icarus, you'll keep going straight ahead. You'll take off from launch pad A4."

"Does everyone remember Project 'Shatterling'?" Angelique asked, taking over from where Atlas had left off.

Everyone nodded.

Angelique reminded the team anyway, with practised efficiency. "It means we each have to use the authenticator tool Trillion handed us to randomise our destination. Only your Ship will know where you end up. That reduces the risk of anyone being able to come after us once we've gone. You'll wake up in a hundred or so years in a new star system."

Angelique paused for a moment. Trillion could tell that it was hard for her to get the words out. Trillion guessed she had tried to say the words robotically, so she didn't hear the words. But she had obviously realised what she was about to say. She had a little croak in her voice which revealed a touch of sadness. Trillion broke the tension by speaking first.

"It means we get reborn," Trillion said, not quite believing the words herself.

Angelique nodded. "Atlas and I have made sure the brain scanning machines are fully activated in everyone's ship. You should all upload your minds within the next day or two. The ships aren't designed to carry life unless it's frozen."

They were silent after that, everyone deep in thought until they reached a large steel door with a roller wheel on it. It was similar to an airlock door, a reliable model out on the Martian surface.

Behind the door was a long concrete trench about ten metres deep. Although it had no roof, it was designed to offer protection for workers and crew while spacecraft launched. A lip running all the way along the top of the trench meant that the thin Martian atmosphere and dust would be pushed over the top of it as spacecraft launched, ensuring those in the trenches could continue their work as normal.

Icarus and Angelique began turning the large roller door. They visibly strained as they struggled to budge it.

"That's the wrong way!" Trillion called out.

They both stopped turning. Slightly confused by what Trillion just said.

"Lefty loosey, righty tighty." Trillion said.

"Left from the bottom, or left from the top?" Icarus said. His hands now on firmly pulling the wrong way. He looked confused. The stress and pressure must have confused him Trillion thought.

Angelique was the first to click. She begun turning it the correct way.

The door began to loosen then open.

Angelique worked hard to open the heavy door, stepping through and leading the way.

If the team had a drone in the air it would have looked like they were entering a maze network of trenches linking all the different launch pads together.

The four of them skipped along, finally reaching the launch pad of Trillion's ship. All sixteen spacecraft looked the same – they were massive, at least fifty metres tall. They looked like two egg-shaped objects connected together via a large ring.

"I guess this is goodbye," Angelique said as they stopped at an elevator at the bottom of the rocket. She lowered her head, her movements noticeably slower as she tried to hide her emotions.

Trillion sensed everyone's mood changing. She hadn't stopped to think about how they were actually leaving everyone behind; she'd been too distracted by running away. Suddenly everything hit her at once.

"I thought I was going to have a chance to say goodbye to everyone," Trillion said with tears in her eyes. She didn't want to leave. She figured the four of them had time. Just then she heard Ship come through her earpiece.

"Trillion, if everyone doesn't leave now they might not make it to the ship on time."

Trillion looked around. "What is happening, Ship?"

"There are a lot of spacecraft approaching. I don't think it's wise for us to be here when they arrive. And Angelique still has a long way to travel by foot before she can leave. Any longer and she might not make it. I suggest we leave now."

Trillion stepped towards the elevator. She paused and turned around. She hugged Icarus, then Angelique, then Atlas. With a heavy heart she entered the elevator. She pressed the button and started her ascent into the spaceship.

The countdown sequence was quick. Trillion had barely left the elevator before Ship had started the engines.

She entered the spacecraft's airlock. There was a chair in front of her with a large donut-shaped instrument just above the headrest. She presumed it was the brain scan machine.

She slumped down in the chair. The engines must have increased their output because she could feel blood flowing to her feet.

Robotic arms began to reach out and remove her spacesuit. She let it happen. She was exhausted. She felt heavy and sleepy as she heard Ship speaking in her ear.

"Sorry, Trillion. I've been speaking with the other Ships. We need to leave now. The wake and debris we create needs time to settle before Icarus can launch. Every second we stay on Mars is a second we add to everyone's departure time."

Trillion didn't mind. Her sleepy brain was still processing the idea of never seeing her friends again as she dropped off to sleep.

Chapter 6: ATLAS – Last One Left
Atlas hopped down towards the next runway. He and Angelique had the furthest to go before reaching their spacecraft. They had a long journey ahead so they talked and discussed things as they moved.

Atlas looked at Angelique with concern. "I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something."

Angelique turned around, hopping through the air as she did. She started to bounce backwards facing Atlas as she moved. "I think we're all feeling that. This morning we didn't think we were going to go."

Atlas shook his head inside his helmet. "No, I think it's something real."

Angelique was a natural at moving in spacesuits. She raised both hands and shrugged. "It's too late now."

Atlas almost tripped, thinking too hard and not focusing on his skip-walking technique. "Oh, I remember now. It wasn't important to the mission. But it'll be a bit of a surprise to the other two when they find out."

"What is it?"

"Lex."

Atlas could see the confused look on Angelique's face. "I installed an AI called Lex onto each of the spacecraft when we were at the terminals," he explained. "It's a supercomputer designed to manage all the information we store. There's a lot of petabytes of information each of those spacecraft are holding."

Angelique turned back around. "So what?"

Atlas almost tripped as he walked. He wasn't used to such a long spacewalk. "Well I installed an older version. It can't speak."

Angelique raised an eyebrow. "What use is an AI that can't communicate with us? Especially one designed for managing all the information we have."

Atlas started to puff as he hopped along. "I know. Let's hope our main Ship AI can do most of the translation."

He pointed at the card inside his suit pocket. "That security card Trillion handed to you gives you complete access to your spacecraft and 'Ship', your spacecraft's AI. Change the codes to something you can remember so that you'll always have complete control."

"I thought they were unhackable," Angelique said, as she waved goodbye to Icarus's spacecraft as it raced through the sky's.

Atlas nodded. "You're right. They aren't hackable. But you never know."

After what felt like running a marathon, the two of them arrived at Atlas's spacecraft.

Atlas hugged Angelique. "I'll see you in a few thousand years."

He could see tears in her eyes again. She was sad but couldn't wipe them away. She held him tight.

Atlas pulled away, knowing she still had a long way to go before reaching her launch pad. He didn't want her to linger any longer than she needed to. He remembered Ship's warning about other spacecraft heading their way. He knew if he kept her too long, she risked getting trapped on Mars.

Every second counted so he turned around and jumped into the elevator. Pressing the button, he started to ascend.

Atlas started to ascend. He waved before making a 'you need to go' gesture with his hand, willing Angelique to get going. Seeing his urgency, she began her journey towards her launch pad. Atlas watched as Angelique hopped away, much faster this time without him slowing her down.

Back