A New Dawn (DS9)

Voting is open
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Bajor is FREE! No longer do Cardassian shadows darken our soil! But freedom, like a harsh wind, cuts deep. Decades of occupation have left our people battered, our spirit broken. It will be a long climb from this wreckage. Scars gouge our sacred land, a testament to Cardassian greed. Our economy? A shattered husk. We exist, but barely.

You stand on the precipice of this new dawn. Appointed to the Council of Ministers by First Minister Kalem Apren, a heavy burden falls upon your shoulders. A ministry – a vital piece of Bajor's fractured whole – awaits your guidance. The future hangs in the balance. Can your leadership mend the wounds of the past and steer Bajor towards a brighter tomorrow? The answer lies within you.
The End of the Occupation New

Jax

The Cardassians are finally gone, and Bajor is free again. No longer do they have their boots on our necks. Yet, at the same time, what's left of Bajor is nothing but ruins. Well, not everywhere, but most cities and important places have suffered. Not only from the long and costly insurrection but also from the fact that the Cardassians ripped out every piece of equipment they could move. Even Terok Nor, the mining station in orbit around Bajor, is in bad shape. They gutted it to the point where it's a wonder the station is still providing life support.

With all the devastation around you, you don't envy Kalem Apren, the First Minister of the Provisional Government, for his position. He has the unenviable task of trying to bring stability back to a planet that hasn't known such things for a long time. Besides the ruined state of the planet, he will also have to mend the rift among those who suffered and resisted with those Bajorans who worked with or even supported the occupation. Because even if many like to pretend that the Cardassians conquered Bajor, the truth is that they were invited by the government, which cooperated closely with the Cardassians until the last days of the occupation.

As much as many want to hate these collaborators, it isn't all black and white. If not for them, the Cardassian occupation might have been much harsher – or so they claim. They also did their part in the transition of powers and were the main reason for the creation of the Provisional Government. Most of the clerks and workers in the ministries come from the previous government. Until they are replaced, if that's even possible, the new administration will have to work with them. Because without them, the government would quickly collapse, and complete chaos would reign.

Additionally, many of the former resistance cells, which were united under the common goal of freeing Bajor, have started to grow restless. Their different views are either emerging or quickly developing and putting them at odds with each other, creating a dangerous atmosphere that has some whispering of civil war already. Others have joined the Bajoran Militia, once enemies, in the hope of helping the Provisional Government gain control of the situation.

To unite a disunited people will be hard work.

Maybe that, above all, is why Kalem Apren has asked you to join his government. He hasn't done so empty-handed and has offered you one of the most important ministries. Apparently, he wants someone he can trust to handle it or to appease one of the major factions.

Why did you receive the position of Minister?

[ ] An old Friend and Allie
Apren and you go way back. To darker days that are better left unspoken, because no one wants to remember them. During his exile and when he rose to unite the efforts of the different resistance groups, you were one of his most important supporters. Always close by, protecting him with a trusty, Klingon-built disruptor and your confidence in making less morally clear deals.

[ ] The Clerk
You started working in the government during the times when the Cardassians were supporting the government in the suppression of "unruly" and "fanatical" elements. These were the euphemisms you learned to use. During these times, you learned to keep your opinions to yourself and tried your best to keep your hands clean. When the occupation ended abruptly, the Minister fled. You were offered a place with him, but you decided to stay and helped Kalem Apren to get the cooperation of others like you, preventing a civil war for now. He owes you for this, and he knows it.

[ ] The War Hero
You learned to fight when you were a young child, following your father into the mountains to fight against the occupiers. You learned at his feet how to fight, by his side how to lead, and how to acknowledge the will of the prophets when he died - not to the enemy, but to starvation. Among the many who fought, you seemed to stand out, and other cells organized around you. It is this charisma, mixed with your friendly terms with the Vedek Assembly, that earned you the position as minister.

[ ] The Lieutenant
You grew up among the Bajoran diaspora and joined Starfleet when you were old enough. Serving on a number of ships and outposts, you decided to leave Starfleet when the homeworld of your parents was finally freed. There are limits to what you can share from a technological standpoint, but your long career has taught you how to command others and run things efficiently. Besides that, you also think that the First Minister hopes you still have contacts in Starfleet or that your appointment will give him an entree to the Federation should he ask them for help.

In a government spanning more than a single world, with colonies in the home system as well as outside, Bajor has need for many different ministries. Some have been snatched up by the different factions or the appointed ministers where needed due to their expertise. However, there are certain ministries that are crucial and considered powerhouses.

Which of these has been give to your?

[ ] Ministry of Diplomacy
You've been appointed as the face and voice of Bajor to the rest of the galaxy. Since Bajor is currently weak, diplomacy is truly the only way it can hope to gain long-term peace. The Ministry of Diplomacy is also the best choice to secure aid from other powers, such as the Federation.

[ ] Ministry of Development & Colonies
As the new minister, your responsibility lies in developing and strengthening the economic situation of Bajor. Additionally, you will also be responsible for the Colonies within the home system and outside of it.

[ ] Ministry of Inner Affairs
You face many difficulties in the near future. With a people torn apart by war and simply survival in the face of a brutal regime, many have grown weary of each other. Others hate each other with a passion that can't be understood by those who never lived through it. Many war criminals escaped, while others live right next door. All Bajorans need to relearn that there is law enforcement you can trust. It's a hard task, especially since often the uniform has changed, not the faces.

[ ] Ministry of Defense & Exploration
With Bajor's weaknesses come great challenges. As many of your fellow Bajorans turn inward, you can't help but look outside. And what you see scars you immensely. The Cardassians aren't far away, and their return could easily happen. Pirates and other criminals might see your colonies and trade ships as easy prey. You will ensure Bajor can defend itself again.

[ ] Ministry of Security
The true enemy is within. No, you aren't paranoid or the typical villain of a holodrama. You're a realist, and you expect that the Obsidian Order is still operating within Bajor's borders despite the retreat of the Cardassian military. Other nations and organizations are also creeping closer with each passing day. But if there is one thing Bajor has learned during the occupation, then it is how to fight a shadow war.

Enter your personal information:

[ ] Write-in Name
-[ ] Male
-[ ] Female

Rules New

Rules:

Dice
  • All rolls are done by me, using a d100.
  • You can use multiple d100 on a single action.
  • The number of available d100s is limited by your Ministery Power.
  • Each point of Ministery Power is equal to 1d100.
  • To finish an action you need to fill the counter by rolling a d100 or more.
Criticals
  • A natural 100 is considered a Critical Success.
  • If a Critical Success is rolled, another d100 will be rolled free of charge.
  • A 1 is considered a Critical Failure.
  • If a Critical Failure is rolled, no progress is added to the counter.
Traits
  • Traits can provide a positive or negative modifier.
  • Traits can change over time, and even be completely lost.
Actions
  • You can take as many actions as you wish.
  • The only limite is the number of Ministery Power you have.
  • You can gain Ministery Power over time and by fulfilling government targets.
Disaster Counter
  • The Disaster Counter counts the number of turns until an event happens that has the chance to become a significant problem.
  • The counter only shows you events you're aware of and your government has an eye on.

[X]Plan: Starfleet Education
-[X]Name: Orta Jepiz
-[X]Female
-[X] The Lieutenant
-[X] Ministry of Diplomacy

Let's see if we can get Bajor better ties with the Federation a little earlier, kickstart the development a bit more.

I'll have to agree on this one. We are still battered by the occupation and an outside poweer willing to help us is good in our books.

The greatest problem faced New
"The First Minister will be here shortly. Can I offer you some refreshments?" the assistant of the First Minister asked politely as you were led into his office. It gave a wonderful view over the capital, which still partly lay in ruins. But the mountains in the distance were nice enough to look at that you almost could overlook the desolate state the Cardassians had left behind. Almost, but not entirely. Yet, it gave you hope seeing all the workers swarming through the ruins, some removing them with nothing more than their bare hands as Bajor lacked more advanced tools – something your mind only started to partly understand. Your life in Starfleet and the Federation had made you grow accustomed to the heavy use of advanced tools when it came to construction work. Seeing Bajoran workers now do it with their hands was humbling and yet also inspiring.

"No, thank you," you declined with a smile, and the assistant nodded once and then left the office, leaving you alone in Kalem Apren's office for now. It was sparsely arranged, you noted, but you weren't sure if that was the case because the man wanted it that way or because he hadn't had the time yet to put more things in. The desk at least was familiar to you; you had seen it in many transmissions when the First Minister had been in exile. It had become as much an icon as the man himself, who had united the diaspora and slowly but steadily grown to become the figurehead of the whole resistance movement. Wherever Kalem Apren had been, his desk had traveled with him. Even when he had transmitted from some caves, he had sat behind this very desk and calmly spoken of the coming victory – a victory that had now become true.

Slowly, you approached the desk and hesitantly touched it.

"It belongs in a museum," you mumbled to yourself as you ran your fingers along its edge. Almost you could feel the years of struggle this desk had seen. It was as if you could feel the gravity of the decisions that had been made on it. As silly as it sounded, this was an artifact of Bajoran history, and for your mind, it was mind-boggling that it was still used. As if someone would get the Enterprise of Admiral Archer out of the museum to use it as a normal ship of the fleet – a sacrilege.

"He is known to bite with splinters," said a voice, and you whirled around. Without making a sound, Kalem Apren, First Minister of Bajor, had slipped into his own office. He was slightly smiling, even if it didn't fully reach his eyes. They looked old and simply tired. He moved through the office, getting behind his desk and putting down his padd. Then, he sat down and motioned for you to do the same. "But that is a silly superstition. In the end of the day, it's an old desk that has been fixed too often. The material gets a bit tired, and how often it has been moved didn't help at all."

For a moment, you weren't sure if he was still talking about the desk or himself. Lovingly, Minister Kalem ran his fingers over the desk for a moment. Then, as if waking up from a dream, his fingers stopped, and his smile widened as he looked into your eyes.

"But you aren't here to listen to my old-people musings. It's good to see you, Lieutenant Orta, or Minister Orta, I should rather say. I was glad when you accepted the position as Minister when I offered it to you. In these dark days, with the morning light just slipping in, Bajor needs all the help it can get."

"It was an honor when I received the offer, and I hardly could say no," you said, returning his smile. "But I have a question."

"Why you?"

"Why me, yes," you agreed to the offered question from the man behind the desk. You watched him lean back. For a moment, he simply watched you.

"A number of reasons, to be honest," he said after a moment of quiet musing. "For one, you're a former Starfleet officer. It has to have come into your mind that I hope this will make it easier to interact with the Federation. Other reasons are more selfish. With the current situation, I had to make a choice: either give the position to one of the old regime or a former resistance member. The old guard isn't used to diplomacy; any outside power would exploit them easily. On the other hand, any former resistance member would be too distrustful and hostile to outsiders. Then your file came to my desk, and I saw an opportunity."

He gave you a small nod. "You're an outsider to Bajoran politics; you don't carry any guilt from the occupation days with you. No faction can really put up any meaningful protest against your appointment, which also means an important ministry stays free of the factionalism I expect will partly cripple our work. Additionally, you aren't afraid of the outside world and have experienced it enough to not be naive about it. You will look at things more realistically than any Bajoran who never left Bajor ever could."

Falling silent for a moment, he gave you a sharp look. "I hope I didn't shatter any illusions you might have held about me. I know that the propaganda liked to show me as some kind of benevolent grandfather of all Bajorans. But this is politics, and you don't manage to hold the lid on the boiling pot that is Bajor without some pressure."

"Some of it has been shattered," you admitted. After all, you grew up with your parents listening to his transmissions. He had been right, to some extent. Kalem Apren had become the shared grandfather of all Bajorans. To hear him so openly and directly speaking about political maneuvering had been disturbing to a part of you. On the other hand, you had drawn some conclusions of your own; after all, you weren't completely blind to Bajoran political realities. "But nothing I can't recover from. I didn't expect you to be this open about it."

"Ah, yes, well, I found that all of this maneuvering has become tiring," he said. "It seldom leads to the outcome you want, and I try to avoid it if possible. I didn't see the need to be a politician around you. Most military people don't like it."

"Starfleet isn't a military," you replied almost automatically before you could hold it back. Surprised, you blinked, and Kalem Apren chuckled.

"I appreciate the thought, Minister Orta," he said, leaning forward. He grasped one of the padds he had put on the desk earlier and activated it. "Now, if all of your questions have been answered, let us talk about Bajor and our position in the wider galaxy. Minister Orta, what is in your eyes the greatest problem we face?"

[ ] The Rebuilding
"Our economy, First Minister. The Cardassian retreat has destroyed more than the whole occupation, at least when it comes to our economy. Most production facilities have been either stolen by them or destroyed. What we still have is insufficient to reliably support our recovery in a timely manner. As I see it, we are in danger of facing a growing recession and open revolt by the public as soon as they realize how bad things are."

[ ] Allies
"Our lack of allies, small or large, is irrelevant. You remarked that we stand alone, and that is true. The Federation has made remarks that they wish to help rebuild our homeworld, but so far, that's all they've done. I'm sure they'll send emergency supplies if we ask, but a true alliance with them would be even more beneficial. It would also provide us with a safeguard against a potential return of Cardassian aggression."

[ ] The Cardassians
"Without a doubt, the Cardassians. They may have left Bajor, claiming it wasn't worth the trouble. However, I took a course in Cardassian psychology at the academy. Many among them will see our freedom as an insult. It's only a matter of time and enough bruised Gul egos until one of them does something foolish. Then, their Central Command won't have a choice but to support their action of retaking parts or all of Bajoran space. We need to prepare."

[X] The Rebuilding

I'd want to pick allies, but that seems like it may be too on the nose for us, and we don't want to look like (or be) Federation stooges. Besides, the value for Allies is the resources. And the Cardassians may hassle us, but they're unlikely to try to reinvade until the Wormhole is found, so we have a bit of time - at this point, we know they're at least going to stay away for a while, so use that breathing room to deal with domestic problems first.

Question for QM - how long do we have until the events of the Pilot episode? Sisko discovers the Wormhole within like, a day of arriving, and that's going to change the entire political geometry.

Question for QM - how long do we have until the events of the Pilot episode? Sisko discovers the Wormhole within like, a day of arriving, and that's going to change the entire political geometry.
Well, funny that you ask that. Until Terrok Nor is offered to the Federation as a Deep Space Station, that won't happen. Three guesses which Ministry is responsible for that. ;)

Well, funny that you ask that. Until Terrok Nor is offered to the Federation as a Deep Space Station, that won't happen. Three guesses which Ministry is responsible for that. ;)
Good point.

Then I may actually want to change my vote. 🤔 unless we could fit 'invite the federation to Terok Nor' under the rubric of rebuilding.

I mean, I think rebuilding is the most important right now, but the Federation as an aid to that is a sub-heading. Can we still invite them in if we don't vote for Allies here?

Good point.

Then I may actually want to change my vote. 🤔 unless we could fit 'invite the federation to Terok Nor' under the rubric of rebuilding.

I mean, I think rebuilding is the most important right now, but the Federation as an aid to that is a sub-heading. Can we still invite them in if we don't vote for Allies here?
Don't worry—the option will be there. Currently, you give the First Minister your opinion on Bajor's biggest issue. All of them are, from a certain point of view, completely valid. You basically tell him, "Yep, that's the issue, and I will take it!" the how comes later. None of the Options means you don't get into contact with the Federation.

[X] Allies
"Our lack of allies, small or large, is irrelevant. You remarked that we stand alone, and that is true. The Federation has made remarks that they wish to help rebuild our homeworld, but so far, that's all they've done. I'm sure they'll send emergency supplies if we ask, but a true alliance with them would be even more beneficial. It would also provide us with a safeguard against a potential return of Cardassian aggression."

In a government spanning more than a single world, with colonies in the home system as well as outside, Bajor has need for many different ministries.
The specifics of this alone has far reaching butterfly effects.
Bajor in canon before wormhole seemed to be only itself, moons, terok nor.

It would be nice to have basic summary of assets and systems.

The other nor station and other assets might be within territory as well. Use it after checking for traps.

Some means of encouraging trade within the region could make it so multiple factions have goals of keeping this civil.

as Ministry of Diplomacy vote won, this way we could have interactions directly instead of using internal politics to get npcs to do things that are within MC wheelhouse.

Empok Nor wasn't abandoned until ~a year and change before the titular episode.

The specifics of this alone has far reaching butterfly effects.
Bajor in canon before wormhole seemed to be only itself, moons, terok nor.

It would be nice to have basic summary of assets and systems.

The other nor station and other assets might be within territory as well. Use it after checking for traps.

Some means of encouraging trade within the region could make it so multiple factions have goals of keeping this civil.

as Ministry of Diplomacy vote won, this way we could have interactions directly instead of using internal politics to get npcs to do things that are within MC wheelhouse.
Nothing of this is new, all colonies you have are mangend in the show. Most of them are basicly refugee camps that grew over time. Our MC comes from such a world. Now that the occupation has ended it is natrual that these worlds will recieve help and support from the Bajoran gouverment.

You will get an overview of all worlds of the Bajoran Republic in time. Currently we still are before the first turn.

Empok Nor wasn't abandoned until ~a year and change before the titular episode.

Nothing of this is new, all colonies you have are mangend in the show.
acknowledged.

Sorry, I couldnt recall any mention of Bajor colonies until after it had the wormhole and started a bunch in gamma, with reasons given that cardasian border was too close or somesuch, so I thought it could be an AU thing.

Then again some of the maquis worlds might have been bajoran, not just federation or independant.

it has been a long while since I watched DS9 in total. For whatever reason I recorded it on cablebox dvr from spiketv channel then recorded that onto VHS.
It made sense at the time.
Might be a sign to rewatch with this quest and the recent asari SI story.

As for voting, I missed the call, but agree with the result.

Voting is open
Back