A Multitude of Hopes (Sengoku Jidai/Nioh)

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Chaos breeds misery, misery breeds malice, and from malice...are Yokai born.

Free to feast upon humanity. While the warlords fight for supremacy, the land is awash in the blood of the innocent.

You are an outcast amongst outcasts.

Too human for the Yokai, too Yokai for the humans.

A Hanyo, a half-blood. Belonging to neither world.

Once content to live in the fringes, the winds of chaos have finally reached your doorstep.

It is up to you to brave them and thrive...

In this period of the Warring States.
Awakening: Prologue 1

Crow

Falling is a Pleasure. Regardless of its Fate
A Multitude of Hopes

"Once Upon a time...

A giant man with horns appeared in a distant village.

The villagers welcomed him with joy, believing he brought blessings from the spirit world.

However, as time went by, they began to fear him.

Tormented by the villagers, he began to attack them.

Until he came to be dubbed…a Demon.

Ah fear not, for this is not where the story ends, you see. One of the village's youths decided to make a stand, gathering a multitude of golden stones and forging them into a blade that gleamed with otherworldly light.

With this mysterious blade in hand, the invincible demon was cut down at last.

The young champion who slew the fiend, entrusted the blade-"

Blood sprays upon your eyes, a strangled gasp leaving your mouth as your mind struggles to understand the scene before you.

Darkness.

Darkness itself walks in your home. You freeze in terror as the darkness turns to look at you.

Three sclera rotate upon red gleaming eyes, reflecting the flickering flames of the room and your frozen frame.

The wet metallic scent coming from the horrible spear in its hands dulls your senses; you are unable to accept the reality in front of you.

For, the moment it found you, it was already too late.

You do not even feel the cold metal tearing through your throat; it is only the shock of your body hitting the floor that shakes you back to your senses to feel the scalding hot blood flowing from your neck. Pain took a backseat to panic and terror.

Worry and fear, but not for yourself.

That's…right. Forget about you, more importantly--

You cough, wetly. Unable to speak, blurry vision focusing again as gold fills your eyes and something cold and hard is pressed into your hands.

You lock gazes with your mother, pain and grief clear in her eyes. Something gleams between your clasped hands as she struggles to utter her words.

You don't want to hear them.

You've been here before, and will return here again and again. Time without end until the end of your days.

Dimly, you understand this. The moment you hear those words you'll wake, like a snap of the fingers the dream would end only to start again. A moment frozen in time, forever carved in your heart.

You'd rather stay in the nightmare, if it meant just one more moment with her. Just one moment longer, you want to hear the end of her story, you want to see her face once more, hear her voice, touch her...

But-

"Live on…my child."

But…!

"Be…strong."

…Even that was not allowed, You were not permitted such weakness.

The Darkness pulses with power, pure malevolence screeching and tearing at your very soul as tendrils of red and black seem to devour the very space itself, bringing the humble room into a vision of hell itself.

And then the dream shatters in a burst of gold as the blade in your hands shines like the sun.

Only you remain, falling through the cracks, a piece of consciousness drowning in sorrow and yearning.

You close your eyes. Not to wake, no. That is the one thing you cannot do.

But, maybe, you can Dream again.

—-----------------------
"Ah, you have got big haven't ya?"

"Yes…healthy and a really, really beautiful child. I cannot wait to see how they'll grow. Ah…I know this one's future is one of limitless potential. "

"If it is a girl, I'm sure she'll be as beautiful as her mother, huh?"

"Oh you! Though, indeed, that may be better than having another scoundrel like the father hmm?"

"You wound me! This scoundrel is a man of honor you know!"

"Hmhm. I think she'll be a girl...and I hope she has eyes like yours; you know how I love to see your eyes."

"Oh no, I'm certain she'll have eyes as beautiful as yours!"

"...I pray…for her life to be free of strife."

"Heh, then I'll pray for her to be an unmatched hero on the battlefield! Why, any daughter of ours will be tough just like her mother! Ooohh scary scary!"

A memory?

"I wonder if she'll have her father's silver tongue however?"

Or a dream?

Does it really matter? You can't see their faces...merely two shadows talking out of your sight. You close your eyes, humming soundlessly.

For the first time in forever you feel…warm. Safe.

At peace.

"Oh right, so, about her name, I spoke to a monk friend of mine and I came up with a list. How about…"

[] Write-in Name

"Oh? I have actually already decided on one, however?"

"What?! And you didn't tell me? I spent so long thinking it over!"

"It is only right isn't it? Hmm. the next one you can name, then."

"Ah missus you drive a hard bargain indeed...so…what will it be?"

"I'll keep it a secret for now! And then on that blessed day…"

"..Heheh. I cannot wait."

This is...almost cruel. Even though it heals your weary soul. You are looking on the outside at that.

Which you never had.

"Indeed…but. It is time to wake…"

[X] "Hide"

On the day of your birth, your soul resonated with a guardian, whether by whimsy or fate…or maybe the prayers of someone. A spirit now walks with you, providing you with protection and guidance.

They have been with you since then. Your only company in the years since past.

[] Makami. "It was only fitting that they had the ability to manipulate fire, and protect against it."
[] Ame no Mitori. " The blinding lightning surrounding them makes it difficult to make out their true shape."
[] Kagewani. "It would eat the shadows of those that'd incur its wrath, cursing them to death."
[] Janomecho. "It is said that to speak her name is to invite death."
[] Karasu-Tengu. "Said to be strange echoes of Garuda, Buddhist guardian deity and slayer of serpents and dragons. "

"H-help! Help me! Please open up!"

What a damn racket.

"I know you're in there! Please!"

You growl as you roll over your simple bed. The forest in which you make your home is completely and utterly dark as morning is barely peeking past the horizon.

"Oh gods! It's coming! Gods…gods!" The sobs grow louder as the fists rain frantically upon the olden wood of your home's door.

Yeah yeah. You finish wrapping the rough hood around your mouth and head, leaving only your eyes free to see crystal clear in the darkness.

…You can smell it now. The stench of death.

The scent of Yokai.

Choose two weapons to start with. You will have increased proficiency in these selected weapon types. You are allowed to double up on choices.

[] Sword
[] Dual Swords
[] Odachi
[] Axe
[] Staff
[] Spear
[] Kusarigama
[] Switchglaive
[] Fists
[] Bow

Last edited:
[X] Karasu-Tengu. "Said to be strange echoes of Garuda, Buddhist guardian deity and slayer of serpents and dragons. "
[X] Staff
[X] Fists

I'll admit this is just me being a giant Genji reference though.

Hmm... This is a little tough to choose, do the guardian choices relate to capabilities at all? How much Nioh information do we need to get into this?

Hmm... This is a little tough to choose, do the guardian choices relate to capabilities at all? How much Nioh information do we need to get into this?
I hope to explain things as they come but indeed. There's a lot of mythology and terminology involved.

The Guardian Spirit is one that choose you and has stood by your side for a long time. They will bestow blessings, aid and special abilities to their wards.

Of course here they are not just restricted to some moves but have their full mythological arsenal so to speak.

Though you can also think of them as Pokémon if you want for their elements.

[x] Ame no Mitori. " The blinding lightning surrounding them makes it difficult to make out their true shape."
[x] Dual Swords
[x] Odachi

I like lightning, lightning is fast, two swords are better than one, but sometimes you need to cleave through something big.

[X] Ame no Mitori. " The blinding lightning surrounding them makes it difficult to make out their true shape."
[X] Bow
[X] Spear

Lightning is good. Seems odd for an outcast in the Warring States period to have access to well-made or complex weapons. Bow and spear seem appropriate for someone living at the fringes of society.

[X] Ame no Mitori. " The blinding lightning surrounding them makes it difficult to make out their true shape."
[X] Bow
[X] Spear

[X] Karasu-Tengu. "Said to be strange echoes of Garuda, Buddhist guardian deity and slayer of serpents and dragons. "
[X] Spear
[X] Sword

[X] Kagewani. "It would eat the shadows of those that'd incur its wrath, cursing them to death."
[X] Switchglaive
[X] Dual Swords

This is what I chose in game and I see no reason to change

[X] Staff
[X] Fists

Alright. I folded some weapon types as subtypes of certain ones. Axes would have hatchets, fists can handle Tonfas alongside barehanded and Claws.

Guns are...! Not widespread right now. They're trickling in but not as easy to get your hands on yet for a vagabond.

...Not sure if Vagabond is the word since you do have a house in the woods but you get my meaning.

But anyways. There's some synergy in the weapon types if you add some logic to it. Archery expertise would translate some to firearms.

Seems odd for an outcast in the Warring States period to have access to well-made or complex weapons
I put the ones you can relatively reasonably obtain through one way or another. Hesitated on guns for that for now.

Any questions I can answer I am happy to field.

[X] Janomecho. "It is said that to speak her name is to invite death."
[X] Fists
[X] Sword

Janomecho cause cute Moth.

[X] Janomecho. "It is said that to speak her name is to invite death."
[X] Spear
[X] Bow

I'm not much familiar with Nioh, but I love stories set in ancient Japan and the Sengoku Jidai is a very interesting time to be alive.

Alright seeing how things go. I'll close things later when I get home. Not bad for first post!

So far it seems Fist/Spear/Karasu winning?

Adhoc vote count started by Crow on Jan 14, 2023 at 3:10 PM, finished with 16 posts and 11 votes.

Last edited:
[X] Fists
[X] Spear

Alright then. Writing post now then.
Scheduled vote count started by Crow on Jan 12, 2023 at 5:48 AM, finished with 16 posts and 12 votes.

Back