2024-AT-09: Staff and Mandemon - Upheld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under the circumstances, I can sorta see why mandemon felt the need to be so defensive.

Perhaps SV should have a recommended reading list for learning de-escalatory posting skills.
Frankly Mandemon's post is what it is but I will not let people completely weaponize thoughtful comments about the nature of societal biases in order to try and score points against two members of staff, including one in my department. That post was a completely out of context snipe with readdily apparent context in both cases, and if they cared they would have actually tried to explore this alleged double standard not used it to dunk on people. Think what you will of my post this will not turn into a free fire zone on staff.

To clarify, I'm not trying to excuse transphobia, more referring to the linguistic masking. "Holy shit what if he had been as blunt as calling someone a smug cunt is". The tribunals regularly hit people for less than that. Not trying to excuse Mandemon, but do two wrongs make a right here?
Honestly calling someone a smug cunt would have been far preferable, imo.

To clarify, I'm not trying to excuse transphobia, more referring to the linguistic masking. "Holy shit what if he had been as blunt as calling someone a smug cunt is". The tribunals regularly hit people for less than that. Not trying to excuse Mandemon, but do two wrongs make a right here?
I should hope the difference in severity between hate speech and crass language is not something that needs explaining.

SV rules don't work that way. You don't get a free pass to say what you want just because you believe other people are also being unreasonable. The best de-escalatory technique is called taking a break instead of continuing to argue. No amount of recommended reading will change the fact that sometimes the best thing to do is log-off.
Understandable does not mean good or acceptable.

It means that it is understandable, which means we can consider how things got that way, and whether we can create systems that will make it less likely to reoccur in the future.

Such as by having a resource list that SV's posters, including mandemon, can take advantage of to learn more skills that will allow them to contribute to creating a less-hostile environment on SV.

I believe the best way to proceed would be to create a Private Message group that they can take advantage of in order to understand how best to contribute to SV's rules and be infracted less often.

Such as by having a resource list that SV's posters, including mandemon, can take advantage of to learn more skills that will allow them to contribute to creating a less-hostile environment on SV.

It would especially useful to have full list of "dog whistles", because it feels like everything is a dog whistle, no matter how careful you try to be. Especially if you use wording that apparently is a dog whistle, people instantly jump to "This was all planned by you from the several pages ago, this was all part of the plan!"

I believe the best way to proceed would be to create a Private Message group that they can take advantage of in order to understand how best to contribute to SV's rules and be infracted less often.

Considering how well that went for SB, I kinda doubt it. Personally would much more prefer open source that can be checked at anytime.

I think that this is an interesting proposal, the problem is that while some posters genuinely might benefit from it, bad faith actors would skew the experience and use it as a tool to toe the line or even farther. I am not saying mandemon is one of that group I do not know his heart of hearts, but it would be too valid a concern to touch imo

our main resources for showing people what we consider to be unacceptable dog whistles are staff notices and infractions, both of which are extremely minor penalties that take a long time to amount to anything of notable consequence besides being corrected. my experience in dealing with users encountering these suggests that creating a single vocab list would just invite abstract arguments about the list, which does not reach anyone's goals.

It would especially useful to have full list of "dog whistles", because it feels like everything is a dog whistle, no matter how careful you try to be.
Those don't work for the same reason why the rules don't lay out specific examples for a lot of things. Its far too easy to abuse that to toe the line in practice, even if some people could genuinely have a usecase for it.

Also I don't think a list of every dogwhistle is really a feasible resource to produce and maintain. Probably not fun to have to write out, either.

Understandable does not mean good or acceptable.

It means that it is understandable, which means we can consider how things got that way, and whether we can create systems that will make it less likely to reoccur in the future.

SV has no obligation to save people from their own stupidity. If they can't understand the staff plainly and simply laying out how their language was offensive and/or disruptive and how to avoid further penalties, it's on them.

And like, Google exists. Why is the onus on the staff to create some kind of educational program for people who can't even do the literal bare minimum of self-examination?

*EDIT* Also like again the stakes here are embarrassingly low here, like oh no they can't post in one thread for three days

heaven forfend

Last edited:
Especially since part of the problem is dogwhistles change and update over time. Such a list would have to be regularly maintained.
The ok emoji was a white supremacist dogwhistle until it wasn't to list one example not to mention the terms that can be problematic or not entirely depending on context the fact that this can look innocuous without knowing specific context is the entire point which inherently complicates the exercise

Last edited:
SV has no obligation to save people from their own stupidity. If they can't understand the staff plainly and simply laying out how their language was offensive and/or disruptive and how to avoid further penalties, it's on them.

And when people refuse to explain the issue? Such as my supposed "spirited defense" of misogyny?

And like, Google exists. Why is the onus on the staff to create some kind of educational program for people who can't even do the literal bare minimum of self-examination?

I used Google. Look where it has landed us. Apparently, when Finland adopted self-identification it was actually dog whistle to deny transpeople exists.

*EDIT* Also like again the stakes here are embarrassingly low here, like oh no they can't post in one thread for three days

That's... not the issue here. Like at all. Especially when the thread was shut down completly.

"Full list of well-known euphemisms used to avoid responsibility for one's words by relying on the euphemism's obscurity" is an oxymoron, anyway.

I did not edit it in, it was originally there. Care to actually provide evidence that I had edited in my post in some grand conspiracy move? This is a second post that claims I am some sort of grand mastermind who setup all this in advance.

I am going to add that this is correct. I suspect this is fuzzy memories, not conspiracy, but the phrase was present in mandemon's posts from the beginning; this is something staff can and does regularly check when looking at infractions and appeals.

I used Google. Look where it has landed us. Apparently, when Finland adopted self-identification it was actually dog whistle to deny transpeople exists..
Going to be like the eighth person to say this: the problem is not gender self-identification. The problem is when you specify 'self-identified woman' you are (intentionally or not!) implying that 'woman' without this clarification does not include trans women. Ditto for men. That's the issue.

The fact you yourself said you would have just used "women" and "men" were trans people not involved in the discussion plays into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back