2020 Taiwan ISOT to 1450 ad

Note that Taiwan can more or less play kingmaker as much as they want, without even bothering to deploy military forces to China. See this:

Motorola T600 2-Way Radios
TalkAbout Walkie Talkie
Up to 35 Mile Range
22 Channels & 121 Privacy Codes
Up To 9 Hours With NiMH Battery Included
- Micro USB Charging
- Up to 23 hours with 3 AA Batteries
Outdoor - Sports - Fishing - Fun
Hands Free Talking (iVOX Enabled)
11 Weather Channels (7 NOAA) with Emergency Alert Feature
Waterproof (IP67 Rated)
Floats & Water-activated Flashlight
Compatible with all FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio Brands

you don't need to worry about people duplicating this (if you don't care about that, then lower tech "spark gap" style radios would be easily doable in just about any high school), but give an army say 20 of those, and they have a near insurmountable advantage against any other army, which will be restricted to speed of horse. Just imagine someone who can see s situation developing say on the right flank, and then order another unit 10 miles away, to immediately start moving to take advantage of it.

Also, Taiwan has the full advantage of the Agricultural revolution which in the OTL doesn't start for nearly 250 years. And note--that didn't take any super tech. No advanced pesticides, nothing. It was process and system based, with a few relatively minor technological innovations--most of which Taiwan has, especially the presence of modern breeds of plants. After a year or so, people aligned with the newcomers will start to enjoy a bounty of food products.

And yeah, people are going to listen to the Taiwanese, because what does the Emperor have that can compare with this:

The very power to gather the light of ther sun and return it in the nighttime. Even those people who aren't thinking magic (and there will be many) will pragmatically see the newcomers as people who have much to offer them.

And we're not even talking about ships or missiles or armies. I just listed the material you can find in high school books (agricultural revolution) and in hobby stores and frontyards of people who enjoy solarpowered mood lighting.

Would the internet survive in some form? I don't know how much of a presence taiwanese servers and websites have on the web, and if power is a serious concern...

Would the internet survive in some form? I don't know how much of a presence taiwanese servers and websites have on the web, and if power is a serious concern...
There are probably a number of local Taiwanese sites that remain up, as long as they were actually hosted locally on Taiwanese servers, and Taiwanese computers would still be able to access them after DNS problems are fixed. The main DNS problem is personal computers using major foreign DNSes as their data source instead of local ones, and it's fairly easy to fix: TWNIC is located in Taipei and would have the ability to redirect commonly used foreign DNS IPs to their own DNS servers, and it wouldn't cause conflicts because servers behind the other IPs no longer exist and there's no IANA to tell them they aren't allowed to do that without a whole big bureaucratic process. Power might be the most immediate concern, but even if maintaining the internet is seen as a strategic priority and receives the electricity, the Taiwanese internet would probably collapse due to hardware attrition after a few years. They might have the factories to manufacture microchips and even CPUs, but they most certainly do not produce and refine all the required raw materials locally.

I'm not certain if it would have to collapse, but to be honest, the Internet would almost certainly be at the end of the line for maintenance--as much as we like to talk about it, it's really not required for a nation an most emergency services can be handled by phone.

Probably for a good long time, what replaces it is something closer to theold BBS systems, where you directly connect, as well as more smaller scale nets, say highschool computers liked.

I mean, let's remember, it's possible to have a regular computer last years or longer, so outside of high stress systems, attrition isn't going to be an insurmountable problem.

On the refining, I'd give it around of a decade before they had access, again mainly because that kind of hardware isn't going to be very high on the list of priorities.

The real problem will be getting the fuel to get food to people rather than the food itself. The economy will be in the shitter but a competent government can set up a command economy "for the duration", nationalize key industries, force people to work in vital services, secure critical supplies, etc.
They can just take it from the Indonesians, who probably won't even realise what they have.

They can just take it from the Indonesians, who probably won't even realise what they have.
And don't forget that none of those deposits have been tapped. So you don't have to worry about getting a field that requires extensive refining and extraction work-- you can go for the fields that were the low hanging fruit and were long ago drained dry in the OTL.

And don't forget that none of those deposits have been tapped. So you don't have to worry about getting a field that requires extensive refining and extraction work-- you can go for the fields that were the low hanging fruit and were long ago drained dry in the OTL.
My guess is this could lead to something like the otl south east Asian chinese community on steriods

Back