[Worldbuilding] Fantasy Setting - Celestial Power Inversion

earthboy

(verified ape)
Pronouns
He/Him
I had the core of an idea about a setting. It's not an idea that I've seen used before in games or fiction, and think it could go a couple of different ways. I'm curious if it has been done before, and how it progressed.

The Set Up

The main idea is that there are three types of beings: Celestials, Fiends, and Mortals. But unlike usual, there is no single hierarchy of power. Instead, there's a metaphysical game of rock-paper-scissors.

Fiends are particularly weak to Celestials.
Mortals are particularly weak to Fiends.
Celestials ... are particularly weak to Mortals.

This set-up probably seemed like a clever balance of power to the naive creator deities (or whatever), but then maybe 5 minutes into the production release they discovered that those pesky Mortals combine great inquisitive and creative talents with greed, pride, and poor impulse control. There are a damn lot of Mortals, and they don't seem to reliably obey even their own self-interest.

The upshot is that Fiends seem to be pretty good at manipulating Mortals, and even though there's a theoretical balance of powers, things are looking kinda grim for non-Fiends.

Possible Histories
(the Sages argue about this stuff)​

Theory of the Fall: So once there was this Creator, right? Everything exists, so it must have been created. That's just common sense. Now, imagine you're a Celestial servant for this Creator, and everything's going along fine, until one day your boss tells you that these smelly monkey things are more beloved to Him than you. Well, yeah, I'd think about rebellion too. That's where Fiends come from, and that's why they hate Mortals so much.

Theory of Humanity Fuck Yeah: Nah, it's too convenient to think that a Creator would value mere Mortals over such obviously divine beings like Celestials, plus why would a Creator let Fiends happen if they're bad? It doesn't hold together. Here's what's probably true. The ancient Mortals and Fiends fought, and the Mortals were losing, so we got together our most potent magics and created a weapon. We called our weapon the Celestials. We didn't want the weapon turning on us, so that's why they're weak to us. I mean, it's just obvious.

State of the World

IMHO the most interesting thing about this setup is that it puts Mortals front and center, right in the narrative driver's seat. Whether they're choosing to defend their Celestial allies from other Mortals, or working with Fiends for their own gain, the Mortals are the ones who have most of the choices in the setting -- and the ones who have the most to lose.

So, how bad is it? And what sorts of interesting situations & opportunities might happen? Here are a few ideas.

Angelic Isolation: Kind of a points-of-light setting where Angelic influence is concentrated in a few defensible points. Fiendish influence might be more urban in this setup, while a Celestial might choose a defensible yet isolated monastery overlooking a key mountain pass. The Celestial seeks security and tactical power, while the Fiend chooses to expand its influence -- and the Fiend can do so in relative safety, since the city is composed of Mortals who are less of a threat to a Fiend.

Nation of Evil: "If I don't vote for any of the half-fiends, then the wrong one might win the Presidency." One nation comes out as overtly controlled by the Fiends. Perhaps they offer bounties for Angelic criminals, similar to how southern states once offered bounties for runaway slaves -- they weren't too picky about whether you brought a specific one in.

Strip-Mining Heaven: "It's not like there's enough Angles left to run things up here, so we stepped in to help... and to make us some coin." Mortals are manning the controls of the Weather Bureau with predictably chaotic results. The Celestial Mountain is getting mined. What Celestial secrets are the Mortal Wizards learning from their studies of the Heavens and the operation thereof?

Filling It Out

What game system would work for this sort of setting?

What historical era would work? Maybe Renaissance -- maybe Angles react poorly to lead bullets, and that's what tips the balance in the first place. What other period would work well?

What kind of adventures could happen here?

Be careful that the Salvation War fanboys don't ruin this.

I mean, I don't expect to see too many of those on SV, but...

@Chloe Sullivan - interesting, hadn't read about that before.

Yeah, this would be pretty different.

- Fiends and Celestials DO NOT get along.

- There's no indication that Fiends all obey a single hierarchy. This setting ought to be compatible with stuff from Planescape.

- Way lower tech level, on par with D&D or WFRP.

The set-up of the Background is basically Shishunki no Adam, a pretty NSFW manga. It has the same rock - paper - scissor thing going on with the Divine Flames of the Angels being auto-win against the Demons, but failing against the creations of mankind (Technology in this case, not normal humans given that Angels can apparently do magical bullshit ala Shakugan no Shana) while things of man cannot harm demons since they aren't creations of earth and thus are inherent. (And I think Demons also have an easy time screwing over and taking over any tech made by man.)

Though the Overall Thing seems different as the manga is set in modern times and I think this is supposed to be sort of Fantasy?

Be careful that the Salvation War fanboys don't ruin this.

The concept seems interesting, though the way the enemies are purposely put together to be defeated and show humanity as this great and wonderful Group which is so much better than them and so on sounds Kind of jarring. Does it have Angels as being able to do Biblical scale miracles like Splitting oceans or creating stuff like the great flood or incinerating cities ala Sodom & Gomorra? From what I am reading, Demons are basically just big Monsters.....

Last edited:
Back