Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

A quest for revenge results in Azul Sartore being mixed up in the lives of Gotham's greatest defenders. Lacking any form of parenting or plans for the future, the reincarnation of some random-ass nerd begins the long journey towards becoming a hero on their own right.
Last edited:
Chapter One
Pronouns
They/Them
There were smarter uses of my time out there, I just knew it.

I watched how the kid standing on the street corner made a sign, sending a different boy on the opposite corner on a run around the block to grab a couple vials so he could hand them to the buyer, who had just passed a couple bills to the first kid and was on his way around.

It was the late hours of the night, the few working streetlights of Crime Alley were giving me the shadows I needed to watch the stashhouse. Fourth floor, left side. Since the design was similar, if not identical to my own apartment complex, I felt confident in marking it in my notes as Apartment 402.

I made sure the bag I put under the dumpster was well-hiden one last time and walked out of the alley, crossing the street and meeting the corner kid.

"Hey man," I said, trying not to look to obviously to where the other kid would soon return and rubbing my hands to look like another dope fiend, "You got that Blue Manic?"

He looked me up and down, decided that I looked too stupid in my dirty Justice League hoodie and Green Lantern cap to be a cop, and nodded. "How much you buyin'?"

"Oh, I'll have... the key to the building, please."

He only had time to frown before I reached behind my back and pulled out my mom's revolver so I could put it to his head.

"Fuck," he said. Pretty stoic for a kid that couldn't be outta puberty.

"Indeed," I said. "Start walking, hands up. Anything on you?"

He did as I asked and shook his head.

"I'm gonna have to search you to see if you're lying to me, Kevin," I told him and smiled when I saw the way he flinched. I only knew it because the other kid shouted it during an argument the other day, but he didn't know that. "If you're lying, I'm gonna be displeased. You gonna make me displeased, Kevin?"

He sucked his teeth, but slowly lifted the front of his shirt. He made for it but I pressed the barrel of my gun to his head harder.

"Slowly."

He nodded, and with deliberate care, he pulled out a glock and raised it over his head. I took it, made sure the safety was on, and put it down the back of my pants.

"Good," I told him. "Open the door."

"I don't have the key."

"Then ring the bell and tell him there's a man named 'Frank' here to see Namond," I said. As he made to ring, I spoke up again. "Before you think of any Bruce Willis bullshit, I should tell you that unlike him, you're not a middle-aged white man in an action movie. You say a word I don't like to save some people that don't give a shit about you, you're gonna be dead for no good reason at all."

There was a moment of hesitation where I feared he'd call my bluff before Kevin pressed the bell for apartment 402.

(I love being right.)

The intercom buzzed on and an aged voice called out, almost drowned out by loud music and people arguing, "Yeah?"

Kevin tilted his head a little to look back at me. Between the cap and hoodie, I doubt he could see much of my face, but I raised an eyebrow at him anyways.

Please don't call my bluff, please don't call my bluff, please don't call my bluff, please-

He turned back to the buzzer. "Man here to see Namond. Said his name was Frank."

"Oh shi- Yeah! Yeah, let him in, shit, hurry!" the buzzing sound of the door being opened rang almost immediately, and I opened it with my foot while keeping my gun aimed at Kevin, who staid standing in the same place as he looked at me. After a while, the voice called out, "He in?"

I nodded. Kevin leaned a bit and said, "Yeah."

"Ok, shit, ok," the intercome clicked off.

"Thanks, Kevin," I said. "Word of advice? Find somewhere else to be tonight. Tell Dennis the same, if you wanna."

Kevin nodded and walked away, not turning his back on me.

Once he turned the corner and started running, shouting for his friend to get his shit and run, I walked into the building, leaned on a wall, and threw up in a corner that already looked pretty flithy.

Holy shit, I thought. Holy shit, holy shit, I was sure he was gonna recognize me.

I knew I was kind of a background character at school, but damn. I must have sat next to that punk a million times at lunch and he didn't recognize me? Or at least didn't let me notice that he recognized me. Hope it was the former.

I didn't let the matter distract me for the rest of the minute. I wiped my mouth, took the elevator to the third floor, walked over to door 302, and rang the bell.

After a while, I heard a woman's voice, thick with sleep. "Hello?"

"You can't dive faster than I can shoot," I answered, gun aimed nowhere near the door. "Open the door and live, or don't and die with a broken door."

There was a moment of silence, then the latches came undone and the door was opened, letting me see a tired-looking black woman glaring at me.

"Excuse me," I said as I walked in, making sure to clean my shoes on the entrance mat before even as I aimed my gun at her. "The fire escape?"

She frowned harder, but pointed me to the window directly in front of the door. I felt like a real asshole when I saw the kid toys on the floor and pictures of the woman with a man and a baby around the walls, but I kept my gun aimed at her as I walked to it.

She stayed near the door while I opened the window. I climbed out and looked up, already hearing the same loud music from upstairs. I looked back at the woman, who was in the same place. Glaring at me.

I made an awkward face, waved, and said, "Sorry. Keep the window open."

She raised an eyebrow. She didn't seem very impressed.

I climbed up the stairs, and started hearing voices.

"We're fucked, we're fucked, we're so, so fucked!"

"Namond, calm down, it's not that bad-"

"Why the fuck would Frank come here?! He's gotta know! Mask has to know. That sick fucker is probably laughing himself sick, knowing I'm here pissing myself while his attack bitch comes! Probably asked him to take the stairs so I got more time to shit myself!"

Huh, didn't see this one coming. I stayed away from the windows with lights, listening in. I'd only heard Kevin say that Namond had talked on the phone to someone named Frank and that he'd sounded 'like a bitch', so I'd assumed it was like a boss of his.

I didn't expect to invoke the name of the goddamn Mafia Internal Affairs.

"Well, FUCK HIM!" Namond screamed, and I heard a gun cock and a full bullet fall unspent because action movies ruined the planet, "I'm not going down without a fight! Everyone grab a gun, we're gonna kill that sick fuck as soon as he knocks!"

The noise of feet stomping around dominated for a brief moment, and I felt another flash of guilt for the woman directly under Namond's apartment. But I pushed it aside to take a peek inside the apartment through the nearest window.

Like in the apartment under it, the fire escape window was right in front of the door, which let me see a whole lotta people with guns aimed at the door, all looking away from me. There was a round table square in the middle of the room, covered in white dust.

Like something outta fucking tv show, I thought. I ducked away from the window and quickly pulled out my pocket notebook.

Skipping past all the notes from weeks of listening in on Kevin as he talked with Dennis at lunch, and of scoping out the building from every angle I could, I wrote in big letters 'OPEN THE WINDOW' and held it open in my hand.

I leaned again, and saw that they were still all staring at the door. And right next to the window was an overweight, scared-looking man holding a shotgun. He was staring at the door, licking his lips and trembling a little.

Tap, tap, tap.

Or he was, until I gently tapped at the glass thrice with Mom's revolver.

He slowly turned, terrified of what he'd find.

Not sure how he felt when he found me there, gun aimed at him and finger at my lips.

I held up my notebook, and he nodded at my message and slowly unlocked and opened the window, body still facing forward.

"Hands up," I mouthed once he was done.

He complied, dropping the shotgun. Of course, this made everyone turn around.

"Shit," I cursed, quickly grabbing the overweight guy and holding him in front of me with a gun to his temple.

"Who the fuck are you?!" Namond asked me, gesturing with a glock.

"You shouldn't wave that around," I chided him in a light tone, because it's easier to fake amusement than calm when you're five seconds from shitting yourself. "I'm here to negotiate."

"... negotiate?" Namond looked like I'd just walked in naked and started dancing the tango with a turkey. "What the fuck are you gonna negotiate?!"

"Simple; you tell me how I can get to Black Mask—or how I can find someone that knows that particular bit of information," I make a little pause, seeing his reaction. Wide eyes and disbelief, not a great start, "In exchange, you get your friend here alive, as well as the warm and joyful knowledge that Black Mask will never know whatever had you so scared of him."

He scoffs a little, looking to his goons—who also have their guns aimed at me holy shit I'm gonna die—as if he can't believe this, so I talk some more, "Going from that white under your nose I'm guessing that you've been sampling some of the goods."

He freezes, and I keep babbling, "I mean, I don't blame you, man. I lost a job at a grocery store for that reason. It's those damn Granny Smith apples, man. I get a hit and I need another. Addiction is an epide-"

"Motherfucker, I ought to kill you right here," Namond cut in, "How in the hell are you gonna come in to my house, threaten my people, and then ask me to give you shit?!"

"Well, I did it through the fire escape, though technically I'm still outside your apartment-" he aimed his gun with intent and I hid behind his friend, "Whoa! Easy there, still got a human shield."

Namond visibly pulled himself back under control. "If I kill you, here and now, I ain't gotta worry about Mask knowing shit."

"Sure, except for my partner at the other end of the wire I'm wearing."

Namond stared at me, I stared back over his friend's shoulder.

Please don't call my bluff, please don't call my bluff, please don't call my bluff, please-

"... he's got a building, in the Diamond District," he finally said, aiming his gun away, "Been there once. Penhouse in the tallest building facing Robinson Park."

"I'll find out if this is a trap."

"Yeah, by dying," he mocked, "Tell me something, in the middle of Gotham's biggest fucking gang war, you're going after the guy that's looking like Gotham's next king. The man practically has the crown already.

"You're no cop, and you ain't a Bat. Who the fuck are you? How are you ever gonna make this?"

"You let me worry about that," I said. "Trust me, I've got an ace up my sleeve he won't see coming."

I absolutely did not.

"Better be a good one," Namond said.

"Hrm," I looked around. "Wanna tell your buds to put their toys away? Gotta make my exit here."

Namond gestured, and a fucking arsenal hit the floor.

"Good," I said. "Now, one moment, please."

I ducked a little, grabbing the notebook I'd been forced to drop so I could put it on my back pocket and, on my way up, my meatshield's wallet.

"Stand very still..." I said, keeping my gun trained as I grabbed the money with my teeth, tossed the wallet inside, then took the money with my free hand. "Have a nice night."

I ran down the stairs, and I wasn't all the way down before I was hearing them rush for their guns up there while my former shield moved away. I couldn't look back as I rushed into the apartment under them.

The woman was still there, now accompanied by a grown man holding a bat and also glaring at me.

"Sorry for all this," I rushed out as I tossed the money under a couch and ran for the door while they were distracted trying to see what the hell I'd tossed.

Seeing a set of keys on a bowl by the door, I put them in my hoodie pocket and ran out the door as I heard footsteps on the fire escape.

"Shit, shit, shit, fuck, shit," I panted as I ran. Elevator wasn't there, which I'm guessing it meant it was directly upstairs. I ran to the emergency stairs, gun aimed upwards, and immediately fired blindly as I found a few people looking down the stairs.

Since, on top of a blind shot it was the first time I ever fired a shot, it obviously went wide and hit noone. But it was enough to make them flinch for cover, which hid the way I swallowed a scream at how fucking loud guns were, or how much my wrist hurt from firing a whole-ass revolver.

Mom just had to get the most yee-haw fucking gun posible.

I ran down the stairs, going down two or four at a time. Every so often I fired upwards without looking, but I could still hear gunshots from above and heard bullets rain around me.

I made it to the ground floor just in time for the door to open, and one of Namond's people looking out.

I didn't think, I just ran ahead and slammed into him, smashing his head against the doorframe and making him curse out as he dropped his pistol.

There were people just coming out of the elevator, who ducked back into cover when I fired the revolver again.

It was uneeded, since that's when it clicked empty.

"Oh for fuck's sake," I spat, throwing it into the guy I tackled's face and making for the glock on the back of my pants.

"Stay fucking still!" Namond shouted, coming out of the elevator with a shotgun, because of course he did. "Stay right where you are! Get on your knees, bitch!"

I glared at him, but dropped anyways, arms raised. "Did you forget about my partner on the wire, dickhead?"

"No," Namond said as he approached, "But it ocurred to me that I could just put a gun in your mouth and say really loudly that if noone knocked on my door in the next five minutes, I was gonna air out the back of your skull for you."

"You get that line from an action movie?"

He kicked me on my chest, making me fall backwards awkwardly as I gasped for air. Which, y'know, rude.

"You're a real wise guy, huh?"

I coughed, "It's a coping mechanism. I'm sad on the inside."

Namond chuckled, "Alright, sad clown. Why don't you show me the wire so I can talk into it? It'll be a real change of attitude, but I think I can manage."

I coughed, bent forward, reached under my hoodie, then quickly pulled the glock and shot him in the knee point-blank, which was the only way I couldn't miss. It was a miracle I got the safety off in time.

"FUCK!" he screamed, dropping almost on top of tackle guy, and I rushed forward to put the still hot glock inside his mouth as I grabbed and pulled at the shotgun by the middle.

"Everyone hold still!" I screamed, shrill and panicked. "I said everyone hold fucking still!"

Namond stopped struggling, and I realized I couldn't hear people coming down the stairs anymore.

Keeping the barrel in Namond's mouth and my grip on the shotgun, I crab-walked through the doorway and looked at the other two people still inside the elevator. Still had guns aimed at me, because fuck me, right?

"Drop them!" I screamed, and they did. At some gesturing with my head, they kicked them away. Then I turned to Namond. "Let. Fucking. Go."

He held the shotgun defiantly. I pulled the gun out of his mouth and hit him with the butt. When he still held on, I hit again, again, and again until the whole side of his face was bleeding and he let go of the damn thing.

I held onto the weapon and stood up. I aimed my gun at the two in the elevator, and they stayed there while I walked to the door.

I put the shotgun against the wall, right on the corner I threw up on, and blindly pulled the key from my hoodie pocket and opened the door while keeping one hand always trained on the criminals. The ones on the stairs got there, and at my shouts and seeing Namond's state as he groaned at their feet, they dropped their weapons away too.

Once the door was open and held that way by my foot, I put the key on the other side and grabbed the shotgun. I tossed it outside, closed the door, and turned the key once before running off. I caught a glimpse of them diving for their weapons before I turned, scooped up the shotgun and ran across the street.

The shotgun had a strap, which I held by my teeth as I put the glock with the safety back on down the back of my pants. I shed the hoodie and cap as I crossed the street, almost getting hit by a car, and dove inside the alley.

I pulled the bag I stashed before, put it on then slung the shotgun around my shoulder. Then I ran deeper into the night.

-=]:[=-

Ana had only taken the job at the convenience store to shut her parents up.

It felt like, as soon as she turned sixteen, they were bothering her about work. About learning skills, gaining experience, about how hard the job market was nowadays. It was so unfair. Maybe if they wanted her to succeed so bad they shouldn't have screwed up the world for her.

Whatever, the extra cash was nice, and it's not like she had a girlfriend to kill the hours with, so-

The automatic door was forced to open faster, and Ana was directly confronted with someone that was clearly having a much worse life for the first time.

They were androgynous, black-haired with slightly tanned skin and dirt-brown eyes. They wore stained, torn-at-the-sides jeans in a way that was less fashion and more running into things with your legs. They had a black t-shirt on that promoted some place called 'the Mended Drum', and more notably, the black t-shirt had a hole on the left sleeve surrounded by blood.

Even more notably, the left shoulder had a hole in it, or at least a very profusely bleeding scrape.

Even more even more notably, the opposite shoulder had a double-barrel sawed-off hanging from it.

"G'night," the stranger said as they walked deeper into the store.

Ana stared after them, and then stared at them as they stopped in front of her and dropped off a bag of pads and a roll of duct tape.

Ana stared.

The stranger stared back.

Ana's eyes moved to the sawed-off.

The stranger followed her gaze, widened their eyes, then looked back and forth between Ana and the gun like they were surprised she could see it.

"It's, uh," the stranger cleared their throat. "It's hard out there nowadays."

"Uh-huh," Ana said, "That's Gotham for you."

The stranger laughed, a little strained, "Yeah, yeah, no kidding."

They both stood there for a while, separated by a counted but united by a deep awkwardness.

"So!" the stranger said, "How much for the, uh, the stuff?"

"Oh, right!"

Patching myself up in a convenience store bathroom wasn't what I would call the highlight of my life. The fact that I was doing so with pads and tape because I never took a first-aid course was just salt on the wound, if you asked me.

"This has to be the fourth stupidest thing I've done tonight," I muttered, struggling to hold the damn pad in place while I taped it in. "Wait, Kevin totally saw my face. Fifth."

Eventually, I managed it, and I had time to open my bag. I pulled Mom's old brown leather jacket, put it on to see how well it hid the shitty bandage (as well as could be expected), and went back to my notebook.

I wiped my hands on my pants and pulled my notebook, though I still left it a bit red with fingerprints.

At least it'll be easy for the cops to identify the dumbass owner after I get my face cut off by Black Mask, I thought.

Tearing off the 'OPEN THE WINDOW' pages, I wrote on a new page 'Black Mask HQ Notes'. First item was 'Diamond District; Tallest Building Against Robinson Park'.

I paged through the first half of the notebook.

Full, absolutely full of notes taken over hours, days, weeks. I'd calculated what names I could use, when I could approach and how, I'd done the absolute best I could, and I still got by on bullshit and luck.

And now I had to do the same for a full-ass Tony Montana bullshit safehouse, and who knew if Namond wouldn't tell on my ass, so who knew how long I had until Black Mask moved.

And on top of all that, I lost Mom's revolver. One of the two things I had left, and I fucking lost it. Dropped it. Threw it. At someone's face.

I leaned my head back, took a deep breath, and sighed out, "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck."

I let myself wallow a little more, then sighed again, swallowed, and put my backpack back on.

"Fuck it," I said. "Maybe I'll reincarnate into Marvel next."

I took the shotgun, and walked back into the night.

And was almost immediately intercepted by some maniac wearing purple.

Chapter Two
I'm sure there's someone out there that can have a dignified response to suddenly being caught by the ankle by a wire and getting hung from a convenience store rooftop.

"¡SANGRE DE DIOS, ME CAGO EN LA PUTA MADRE QUE ME PARIO!"

I am not that someone.

"Hey, hey, stop screaming!"

I kept screaming.

"I mean it, stop that!"

I did not stop that.

"Screw this."

"¡AAAAAAAH-¿Mmph?!"

"There. Now, will you calm down and listen to me?"

Now that I was more focused on the hand covering my mouth than the drop under me, I could see that my kidnapper was a purple-clad girl with a black mask that covered all her face, except for a blonde ponytail I could see peeking from under her cowl.

Hesitantly, I nodded, and she drew her hand away from my mouth.

She turned me around as I hung and put my hands behind my back, but I barely paid any attention as I thought.

If all the purple was any indication, this was... Spoiler, right? Yeah, I remembered her now. Spoiler, daughter of some C-List nobody, only member of the Batfamily with any sense of humor besides Nightwing for a while there.

... wasn't she responsible for the gang war? Yeah, War Games. Anger surged and I tried to turn to glare at her, just to be ignored.

"Okay, that should be secure enough," she muttered, once my hands were... handcuffed?! She freaking handcuffed me?! "Ready for the drop?"

"Huh?" Without any more warning, she untied my leg and let me drop on the roof next to her. "Oof!"

"Sorry 'bout that," she said, turning me around and looking down on me. "But I've got some questions and you look like you have answers."

I was tempted to spit on her. All the mess she caused and now she fucking kidnapped me?! "There's this fun method called 'asking', maybe you've heard of it?"

"Is that what you did at Black Mask's safehouse?" Oh shit. Move aside, anger, there's a chance I'm about to get my knees inverted by a member of the Batfam. "That was a real mess. You put a lot of people in danger."

I winced, "I-I know, but I tried to minimize it-"

"By breaking into a few apartments and waving guns around?"

"No! I wasn't going to fire-"

"Unless you did so by accident."

"I had my finger away from the trigger-"

"So Namond's crew had an advantage on you? Not very smart."

I wanted to yell at her, and that's what made me realize what she was doing. Pressuring me, interrupting, questioning everything I do, making me get angry so maybe I'll blurt something out. She probably got it out of Batman's handbook.

I took a deep breath, let it out, and looked into those creepy white eyes. "If you want me to tell you where Black Mask is, I'll do it."

She blinked. "Wait, what?"

"I'll tell you." I wouldn't be happy about it, but despite the collection of evidence to the contrary I call my life, I'm not totally stupid. "He's at the Diamond District, biggest building facing Robinson Park. Penhouse."

Spoiler stared at me, then pressed her boot down on my chest. "Why are you telling me this? Who do you work for? I'm not going to do your dirty work for-"

A disbelieving laugh escaped me, "Is that why you strung me from a fucking building? You think I work for the Ventriloquist or something?"

"... don't you?"

I started laughing in earnest, and once I started I couldn't stop. The rollercoaster of emotions had gone through every other option, so I fell into amusement and broke into hysterics.

Spoiler shouted me a bit, but eventually she gave up and sat down, staring at me with what I'd call a sullen expression if I'd been able to see more than the shape of her eyes.

"I—oh man—I'm sorry," I said, once I calmed down a little, though I still shook with giggles. "It's just, the whole situation is so stupid. I raided a drug den, I patched myself up with femenine hygiene producs and tape, and now a blonde wearing leather tied me up on a rooftop. The only thing missing is a priest and we have a full joke here."

Spoiler stared at me, chuckled, and hung her head. "Yeah, that's what this is. A fucking joke."

The miserable tone made me stop and look at her. She was sitting with her knees to her chest, arms wrapped around her legs, and she looked the picture of misery.

I started to feel like an asshole for the Nth time that night. Here I was, laughing myself sick while she was dealing with the guilt from starting this mess. Part of me thought she deserved it, but frankly I felt the whole War Games thing was just a series of everyone making the worst possible choices.

Not to mention that now I was remembering that whole scene in Leslie Thompkins' clinic, and her teen pregnancy. Stephanie Brown had been through too much to need my own shithead habits tossed on the pile.

... which meant I had to be nice. Yay. My forte.

"... So..." I said, shuffling over to lay on my side and look at her more comfortably. "Not to be meddlesome or anything, but you seem kinda down in the dumps. Wanna talk about it?"

She looked at me, "Really? With the 'blonde wearing leather that tied you up on a roof'?"

"Are you kidding? Any other night I'd have to pay for this treatment. Far as I'm concerned, I owe you."

Despite herself, she chuckled, "Dumbass."

She walked over and moved me so I could sit next to her, not making any moves to undo my handcuffs. Which, fair, I guess.

"I... I screwed up bad," she said, "I made Batman really mad, and I have to prove that he's wrong about me. That I can be more, that he can count on me. Which I guess doesn't really matter, because apparently I just grabbed some random civilian off the street and he was right about me."

She stared at the ground. I licked my lips and tried to make a joke, "If, uh, if it makes you feel better, I think all the shooting, breaking and entering and stealing I did tonight classifies me as a criminal."

She looked up, "You know, weirdly? That doesn't make me feel better."

"Sorry."

"I just—who even are you?" she asked, exasperated. "You say you're not in a gang, but you found the exact right den and you managed to break in and out unharmed? I don't think random teens can do that."

Well, probably not, but the extra set of memories help.

"I just got lucky," I shrugged. "One of the kids working that corner is a few years behind me at Carmondy, I've been listening in on his conversations and spying on the building for weeks. Actually, hold on..."

Since my hands were tied behind my back, it wasn't too hard to reach into my back pocket and pull out my notes, which I tossed at Spoiler.

She grabbed them, making a 'ew' noise at the still-fresh bloody fingerprints, and paged through them. Times, hand signs, movements, all meticulously noted next to every idea I could come up with as to how I was going to get in.

It probably said something about me that 'walk in through the front and hope no one calls you on your many bluffs' was my best plan. I am a good bluffer, tho.

"Honestly, I didn't think Namond would know how I could get to Black Mask." I confessed, as Spoiler kept paging through my notes. "I was ready for this to take... well, years. It was a full month before I had enough to feel comfortable breaking into the building, and I just figured I'd get the location of someone slightly higher up and repeat the process until I got my hands on the Big Bad."

"But why?" Spoiler demanded. "Why spend a whole month on something that could get you killed? Why do all-" she shook my notes, "-this?"

I felt my throat tighten and realize I'd grit my teeth.

"I, uh," I cleared my throat a few times and looked away, forcing myself to loosen my jaw. "It doesn't matter."

"What? Of course it matters! What, you're just on some insane rampage for no-?!" Her voice felt like it was buzzing, pounding at the sides of my head.

"I said it doesn't matter!" I snapped. "I'm going to find Black Mask, I'm going to beat him within an inch of his miserable, BDSM-themed life, and then I'm going to fucking end it! If it takes a month, fine! If it takes a year, so be it! And if it takes the rest of my life, it doesn't matter as long as its my hands around his fucking throat!"

Spoiler blinked. "... you've got issues, man."

I took a deep breath, let it out, and said, "Not a man."

"Right," Spoiler looked at my notes. "These... aren't too bad, actually."

"Thanks," I said. "Not that it matters. I wouldn't be surprised if Black Mask moves places after tonight. He's bound to hear something."

"So this information is only good for tonight?" Spoiler muttered, finally at the page with the address written on it.

I shrugged. "Probably."

Spoiler looked at it, then tossed my notes on my lap and leaned me forward.

"Whoa, wait, what are you-?"

"Shut up and listen," she said, and I felt the handcuffs loosen and drop. "I've... recently learned that I need to work on my planning skills. But I can fight, run and throw like a Bat, which I'm guessing you can't."

"Not untrue," I said, putting the notebook on my chest pocket and rubbing my wrists. "So what, you put in the badass martial arts and I put in the plan?"

"More or less," Spoiler stood up and offered me her hand. "Deal?"

If I'd been a nicer, more fair individual, I would have pointed out that I wasn't exactly a master strategist. I would have adviced her to get Batman, to get Robin, to get anyone else and get them to help her. Told her that that would prove her maturity.

But I wanted Black Mask's ass on a plate. And Bat-tech would help.

So I took her hand and said, "Deal."

"So what's the next move?" I asked her as we walked down an alley after I'd grabbed my two new guns from where they fell on the street. She'd been against me having it, but eventually relented when I pointed out that, unlike her, my ass wasn't covered in super kevlar or trained in a million martial arts.

"Batman's probably busy with some skirmish right now," she said. "We go in the Batcave, get you something to defend yourself and me some gear, and we go check out Mask's building."

"I think that's technically three or four moves." I watched as she pulled a lever hidden behind a green dumpster, making it crack open and reveal a purple bike. "... nice garage."

"Batfam issue safehouse," she said, sounding a bit bitter. "Barely got Batman to tell me where it was before he fired me."

"Ah," I said, choosing not to make a comment for once. She seemed to appreciate it, since she handed me an extra purple motorcycle helmet instead of throwing it at me. Which meant I was safe for wiseassery again, "Nice theming."

"What, purple not your colour?"

"Purple's fine, but it's a little against branding for me."

She gave me a confused look, and I smacked my face. "Right, I never told you my name. I'm an idiot."

"Nice to meet you, An Idiot. I'm Spoiler."

"Ha, funny," I put on the helmet. It was one of those that cover the full head and face, and lowering the visor let me see a little glowing circle on the corner of my eye. Helmet came with HUD, apparently? "It's Azul. My name is Azul Sartore."

"Your name is Blue Sartore?"

"I was seven, I wanted a neutral name in Spanish—which by itself is a tall order—and blue is my favourite colour." And also I couldn't go with 'Robin' again because in Gotham that's just asking for 'boy wonder' jokes, but I didn't feel like talking about the terrible cosmological and spiritual implications of my existance in this universe.

I gestured at the bike. "Are we here to critique me and my naming skills, or are we here to take down a mob boss?"

"I'm waiting on you, m-bud," Spoiler sat at the front and started the engine, her hood tossed back so she could put on another helmet, "Hop on."

I did, choosing to grab the handles at the sides. Maybe she snorted at that, but the roar of the engine as we sped through Gotham's streets obscured it.

The little symbol on the edge of my vision unfurled into the words 'comms on' just as Spoiler's voice rang right next to my ear, "Hey, I'm gonna block out your vision."

"What? Why?!"

"You think I'm just gonna show some random person how to enter the freaking Batcave?" the visor started tinting black, and I was just a body moving blindly at no will of my own, wind cutting against me. "Just stay still until I clear it up, Blues. We'll get there in no time."

"Uh-huh," I said, a little strained. "Sure. Love moving at high speeds and not being able to see. I mean, it's not like seeing would help me, right? This just removes the dread of seeing something coming and leaves me with suspense. I love suspense. It's my favourite."

I barely heard Spoiler mutter, "Is this what I sound like when I'm nervous?" before the comms shut off, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Awesome. I love being alone with my thoughts. And I wasn't totally alone, I had the little glowing symbol!

It felt like a long ride, even though it was probably a quick one. Nothing with me but the feeling of the engine and forward movement. Since Spoiler was quite a bit shorter and thinner than me, her body didn't offer much protection from the wind.

It moved inside my jacket, freezing me, raising goosebumps on my skin. I barely noticed when we started going down hill, then down in a spiral, then up. It wasn't until I heard a waterfall that I realized there was some fucky shit going on.

A while after that, the bike stopped, I heard some beeping noises outside the helmet, the bike moved and then stopped again.

The comms turned back on. "We're here."

The visor cleared out, letting me see the Batcave in all its glory as Spoiler dismounted.

Tall stalagmites hung above me, bats flying between or perched from them. Built into the sides of the great cavern were metal platforms adorned with all sorts of trophy cases, what looked like cupboards full of batarangs and assorted tools, and all around where Spoiler parked her bike were dozens of Batmobiles.

All around I could see souvernirs and memoirs of Batman's career, some of them snapping memories from the amnesiac fog that covered most of my previous life's memories. I saw multiple Batsuits for every member of the family, dozens of utility belts, batarangs, tools and gadgets galore, the epic career of one of Earth's greatest heroes laid out in front of me.

I'd grown pretty used to seeing some amazing shit on the news, but this was still awe-inspiring in new and old ways, as the life of who I used to be and the one I was currently living joined in declaring one thing:

"This is the coolest moment of my life."

I gave a dumb laugh, totally without hyserics or irony for the first time in a months, and I turned to look at my impromptu partner, "Spoiler! Spoiler that's the Penny Plunderer's giant penny! Holy crap, that's Mr Freeze's gun! And that's-!"

Clink!

I looked down and found that I was handcuffed to the handle I'd just been holding. I looked up at Spoiler, who was turning around and holding a key. I looked back down at the handcuff. Then back at Spoiler.

"Seriously?!"

"Sorry," Spoiler shrugged, helmet off and hood on already, as she walked away. "Can't risk you stealing any of Bats' junk."

"First off, that's fair, I totally want to." I said, "Second, this isn't junk!"

"Why are you offended?" She asked, "Not like this is your man cave."

"No, but it is the highlight of my life and I'd thank you to treat it as such!"

"Pff, nerd," she said, opening a cabinet and filling her belt pockets with batarangs. "Okay, do you know how to use any weapons?"

"I do muay thai, so if there's any Bat-Brass Knuckles I could probably use 'em." Like I was gonna get a new life and not do my best from point zero to get sick martial arts skills. I wasn't exactly Lady Shiva, but I had enough skill on me to walk around Gotham at night and only slightly fear for my life. "Bat Shin Guards if you have 'em, for kicks. And also for when I hit people with my legs."

"I'm not letting you keep anything I give you," she said, ruffling around and closing the cabinet when she didn't find what she was looking for. "There's the Shock Gloves..."

I perked up.

"... but I don't think I can trust you with them."

I pouted. Not that she was wrong, but still. That would've been dope.

"Here!" She said, pulling two brass knuckles designed to look like—and this may shock you—bats. "The sides of these can cut too, so if you're going to miss, miss by little and carefully."

"Cool, will I be handcuffed while you use them?"

"No. You will be handcuffed when you go to jail."

That wasn't Spoiler's voice.

It was a little awkward turning around, but I didn't need to turn all the way around to see Batman's looming frame standing behind me, body hidden under his cowl.

"... shit."

"Hrm," Batman (correctly) decided I wasn't a threat and moved up the ramp, towards a petrified Stephanie. "Spoiler. Care to explain?"

"I, uh, I..." Steph swallowed. "B-Bats, it's not what it looks like-"

"Spoiler, I don't even know what this looks like," Wow, he could keep The Voice up even while sounding totally done with her shit. "It almost looks like you brought a stranger into the Batcave. An armed stranger with a shocking resemblance to the person Gordon tells me was involved in an attack at one of Black Mask's stashes. All while in the middle of a gang war you started. But I must be wrong. Because I really can't believe you'd be that stupid."

Wow, okay. Long hours make for an asshole Batman.

On the one hand, I got it. His plan had been used without his consent in starting a city-wide conflict with a body count on the thousands. The psychological stress from that alone was unimaginable. Throw in the way he must have been running around, how many lives he must have been too late to save, and now me there?

I would have been past the point of rational thought and comprehensible speech.

On the other hand, Steph was under a lot of stress too, and she'd agreed to help me take a crack at Black Mask, so...

"She made sure I couldn't see how we got here," I said. I winced when Batman looked at me, but kept talking. "And you can see she made sure I couldn't take anything. We're just working together for a second."

"For a second."

"... or, y'know, rest of the night," I shrugged. "However long it takes to bring down Black Mask?"

Spoiler facepalmed behind Batman, while he just Batglared at me.

"And just how do you figure into this alliance?"

"I know where Black Mask is?"

"Are you asking me or telling me?"

The stupid cliché answer snapped me out of fear long enough to frown, "Okay, you don't get to pull that shit with me, I'm not one of your twenty-seven spandex-clad infants."

Spoiler made a face at me from over Batman's shoulder. Batman's Batglare intensified.

I looked down, "Sorry, sir."

Batman glared some more and then, in a show of vulnerability that was the biggest show of just how tired he was so far, rubbed the bridge of his nose and sighed. "... I'm supposed to believe that you know where Roman Sionis is?"

I took a deep breath, forced myself to look him in the eye, immediately looked away and nodded, "Yes. Because it's the truth."

"He has been insanely paranoid about where he hides. Only his trusted liutenants know where he is. And you know?"

"Apparently he should trust different liutenants," I shrugged. "That thing Commissioner Gordon told you about was me-"

"Enough." Batman snapped, "I don't have time for whatever you got Spoiler to believe-"

"I'm telling you the truth!"

"I said enough!"

"Bats, please, just listen, they-" Spoiler tried, but Batman turned towards her and she shut up.

"Don't you start," Batman said. "I'll talk to you when I'm done with them."

I was getting angry, which naturally lead to me doing something stupid, "Wayne, for fuck's sake, just listen! I'll go to jail or whatever when it's done, but... what's with you two?"

Spoiler and Batman had frozen, staring at me.

A second later, I realized what I said.

"Ah, shit," I said, "I just called you by your name, didn't I?"

It wasn't a second before Batman had me by the neck of the shirt, and for a moment I fully believed I was about to get my shit rocked by him. "How do you know that?!"

"I-I just- I just figured it out!" I said, leaning away from him. Knowing myself, I'd prepared a lie in case I ever blurted it out and had someone question me about my knowledge, since 'I read about you in a comic' was bound to get me a spot in Arkham.

"How?!"

I gestured around at everything around us, even as I kept trying to gain distance that Batman wouldn't allow me, "I-I just reasoned that Gotham—I mean, that Batman had to be someone from Gotham with enough money for all the Bat-tech, enough terrain to hide it in, a strong jawline and maybe p-personal tragedy motivating them! Bruce Wayne fit all the descriptions, and whenever Batman has been recorded a-as having a difficult fight, Bruce Wayne c-claims to have a skiing accident!"

"Who have you told?!"

I was shocked he even asked, "No one! It would put you at risk!"

Batman looked surprised, before he suddenly convulsed and dropped unconscious on top of me, leaving me trapped under his weight and with one leg caught under Spoiler's bike as we all fell to the ground.

"What the-" I saw Spoiler, holding what looked like one of Nightwing's electrical escrima sticks in her hand. "Spoiler?!"

"What, you don't know my identity too?" she asked, but it sounded strained and mildly hysterical.

I could never come up with a reasonable story as to how I could have figured it out, and half the time I didn't think of her since she only recently showed up in the news. "No."

"Well that's nice for me," she rolled Batman off of me (it occurred to me that thousands of thirsty fans would have cried blood in envy at my position) and uncuffed me. "Get up, we're going right now."

"Seriously?!" I asked her.

"Night can't get any worse, right?" she asked me. "We go to Sionis, take him down, and then Batman can deal with us. But I have to put this right."

I looked at her, nodded, and stood up. "Okay, so now we go to the Diamond District?"

"... in a second," Spoiler said, looking at Batman's body then at the cars around us. "I just had an idea."

"Okay," I said, "This is back to being the best day of my life."

The Bat-Tank roared through the street, armored frame cutting through the chilling night air a lot better than Spoiler's bike. It was almost too big for the street, and Spoiler's high-speed driving meant that we left a lot of scraped cars.

Fuck it, Batman was already pissed, right?

I still had the bike helmet off, since it was one more thing between me and brain damage and Spoiler had told me it was Bat-Grade. Speaking of, she'd been quiet since we got in the Bat-Tank, just driving across the city with a grip so tight on the steering wheel that her gloves looked like they were about to tear.

"Spoiler?" she didn't react. "Spoiler, talk to me. I gotta know you've got your head in the game here."

"... you heard what he said, right?"

"Huh?"

Spoiler didn't look at me, staring straight ahead. "You heard him. Batman. You heard him say that I started this."

Had he said that? Oh, yeah, during his opening monologue. "Yeah?"

"It's true."

"I figured, you didn't really argue it."

"I took a plan he had and put it in motion, I didn't know that—well, it doesn't matter what I didn't know, but the point is that I started this," Spoiler gestured vaguely at the city, or maybe at the constant sounds of gunshots in the distance. "This is all my fault. I'm the reason Roman Sionis did... whatever he did to you."

"... and why are you telling me this?"

"Because."

"That's not an answer."

"I don't know, okay?!" She snapped, suddenly hitting the brakes and almost sending me forward if not for the Batseatbelts. "I'm telling you because!"

I stared at Spoiler. She met my look.

Very calmly, I took off her helmet, set it on my lap, and grabbed at my jacket's lapel. "See this jacket?"

"Wh- yes, I see it, Azul, I just told you-"

"This jacket was my mom's," I interrupted. "She found it at the thrift store as finished college, and she wore it almost every day for years. My first memories of my mom have her wearing this jacket, and as I understand it, it was one of the first things I used as a blanket.

"Eventually, she decided that she was too old for it, and since I was too small for it, she put it in a safe under her bed."

I let go of the jacket and leaned back on my seat. "That safe was the only thing that survived Black Mask's mob setting my house on fire while I was out buying groceries."

She was nice enough to gasp, even though there must be a million people out there with the exact same story as me. Except for the reincarnation part, I guess.

"Now look, I'll admit that I'd like to be angry at you," I told her. "But that wouldn't get anything done. Neither will my beating the everloving shit out of Black Mask, but unlike with him, you're not to blame."

"Wh-" Spoiler started, but I raised a hand.

"You fucked up, sure. But you didn't give demand money we didn't have from my mom, and you didn't order the house set on fire, and you sure as hell didn't kill my mom," I looked at her. "Spoiler, as far as I care, your fuck up is your own shit. Everyone else made their choices, and I'm only taking my dues from the ones that chose to fuck with me."

Then, a little awkwardly, added, "Or at least their boss, since I don't know who-"

"Azul," she interrupted, and I saw her eyes bent in a shape that showed her smiling at me. "Thank you."

"... no problem."

I put the helmet back on, she started driving again, and soon enough, we were down the street from the tallest building facing Robinson Park.

Author's Note: Welp, them's chapter two.

A few things:

First, because I worry some may ask, Azul is pronounced Ah-ZOOL and Sartore is Sahr-TOH-reh.

Second, there will actually be an in-universe explanation as to why Azul had that much luck. It's planned for within like four story arcs, though, so that might annoy you. Sorry.

Third,
my beta reader unfortunately has a life, so if anyone is okay with giving my stories a look and second opinion, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

"Wayne, for fuck's sake, just listen! I'll go to jail or whatever when it's done, but... what's with you two?"

Is Grayson still Robin in this fanfic, or has he moved on to Nightwing? Might be fun to, in a similar vein, tell him not to be a Dick at some point. :rofl:

But if anybody is ever going to give Bruce 'me at that age' vibes it's a guy who is super dedicated to righteous vengeance with the detective abilities to suss out who Batman is from first principles…at least as far as Bruce knows anway.

Is Grayson still Robin in this fanfic, or has he moved on to Nightwing? Might be fun to, in a similar vein, tell him not to be a Dick at some point. :rofl:
As of right now, the Batfam is:
Alfred (?????): Adult Man
Bruce (33): Batman
Dick (21): Nightwing (in Bludhaven)
Barbara (21): Oracle (tired & stressed)
Jason (18): Dead (probably)
Tim (17): Robin (fired for the nth time)
Cass (18): Batgirl
Steph (17): Spoiler
Damian (05): An infant
Harper (12): Working hard to get away from her dad
-Cullen (10): Hitting puberty and worrying about being called gay for reasons he doesn't get yet
Duke (12): Being way too smart for his age

I'm doing a lotta AU elements because DC canon is, y'know, a nightmare, so here's how it goes: Bruce started doing Batman junk when he was twenty, after twelve years of training immediately after his parents' death.

One year later, he recruits a nine-year-old Dick Grayson in what he assures everyone seemed like a reasonable decision at the time.

Time moves on, Barbara joins the team, Dick hits puberty, the speedo stops fitting in so good and he becomes Nightwing when he's fifteen (the next three years are what would be called his Discowing era)

Almost immediately after he leaves, Bruce (suffering of Empty Nest Syndrome at age 27) recruits this weird garbage goblin of a kid that he finds trying to steal his wheels. Jason is twelve, and despite what he'd like everyone to believe post-resurrection, did not wear pants while working as Robin.

Three years later, Bruce hits his thirties and a crowbar hits Jason. He dies before his time.

Barbara gets paralyzed shortly after, Bruce kinda spirals for a while there, gets in some deep shit, and a 14 year old Tim decides 'fuck it, my years of stalking Batman and Robin have trained me enough for this'. He puts on Jason's pantless costume (the first of many, many, many costumes) and saves Batman and Nightwing from under a collapsed building. Batman doesn't take it well, but Tim is a lonely kid that craves violence and at least Bruce's way means he'll beat up villains instead of his butlers.

Time moves on, Knightfall happens, Bruce rocks an awesome beard for a while but decides that keeping it would mean closing that stupid jaw gap and he uses that to let cops know he's white, time moves further on, and No Man's Land Happens.

Cass, age 17, arrives in Gotham, almost instantly becomes Bruce's favourite garbage child on the grounds that she literally can't ask him for ice cream during stakeouts. Shortly after, Steph puts on the Spoiler costume and becomes Bruce's worst garbage sidekick on the grounds that not only does she ask for ice cream, but she keeps humming the Mission: Impossible theme during stealth missions.

A year passes, relationship drama leads to Steph becoming the new Robin after Tim's dad found out his secret identity and forced him to retire. What would have been Jason's 18th birthday passes, Batman gets really short with Steph and fires her for disobeying orders (despite the fact that disobeying him is basically a rite of passage for Robins) and Stephanie puts his War Games plan into action.

(Bruce is starting to suspect that firing Robins does not solve his problems.)

But if anybody is ever going to give Bruce 'me at that age' vibes it's a guy who is super dedicated to righteous vengeance with the detective abilities to suss out who Batman is from first principles…at least as far as Bruce knows anway.
Bruce's Inner Monologue: oh god oh fuck not another one not another one not another one

Last edited:
Knowing Bruce's luck it'll be another one.
Love this fic so far, half expected the "Maniac wearing purple" to be the joker lol

ooooh! An SI where their only superpowers are luck and metaknowledge? and the Batfam history lesson fits my own headcanons? You have my attention indeed...

ooooh! An SI where their only superpowers are luck and metaknowledge? and the Batfam history lesson fits my own headcanons? You have my attention indeed...
Eh, sorry to say but I'm thinking of calling this story dead. Maybe I'll try again later, but I'm not really happy with what I managed the last two chapters and I'm thinking I can do better from the ground up.

I gestured around at everything around us, even as I kept trying to gain distance that Batman wouldn't allow me, "I-I just reasoned that Gotham—I mean, that Batman had to be someone from Gotham with enough money for all the Bat-tech, enough terrain to hide it in, a strong jawline and maybe p-personal tragedy motivating them! Bruce Wayne fit all the descriptions, and whenever Batman has been recorded a-as having a difficult fight, Bruce Wayne c-claims to have a skiing accident!"
I feel like this be a great place to inform them of the Tim Test. Probably call it the Dick Test saying that Batman's secret identity was always gonna be found out but adding that first Robin really sped things up. Otherwise you'd need to explain the meta reasons.

"What, you don't know my identity too?" she asked, but it sounded strained and mildly hysterical.

I could never come up with a reasonable story as to how I could have figured it out, and half the time I didn't think of her since she only recently showed up in the news. "No."

"Well that's nice for me," she
"Well if it makes you feel better it helps that you keep everything covered unlike Barbara who is not only like, 1 of 4 red heads in all of Gotham city, not counting the ones Brucey boy imports for the night and not to mention her father is the famous Commissioner! But actually galavanted around that one time wearing that ridiculous costume with the electrical tape plastered to her face that not only didn't hide her eye color but never even came within 1 measley inch of her eyes to begin with! Now pull this 300 pounds of equipment and pain off of me before I choke from lack of oxygen!"

I like this story btw.

Last edited:
Back