What are you watching? Anime Edition

Still watching undead unluck. Im now on the 13th episode. The relationship between Andy and fuko is very forced. Like, it's ridiculously forced, especially that kiss scene.

The only good part about this show so far is the combat of juiz d'arc. It's amazing and she makes this whole show better. Funny enough, her name has "d'arc" in it. Which reminds of Joan of arc from fate/apocrypha, another character I like.

At this point, if you have a character that resembles the likes of Joan of arc, your show will be golden.

I've been wanting to watch some slice-of-life schoolgirl anime recently, so I started watching one called A Channel because I liked the artstyle. I'm enjoying it! Sure, there's some fanservice, which I dislike when it comes to minors, but I really like the character interactions. I'm sure that the stuff that goes on is rather standard, but this is kinda my introduction to that sort of thing, so I can't really tell for sure. There's an insert song in every episode, which is nice. One thing I don't like is the perverted school nurse. I get that he's supposed to be funny, but to me, his "antics" are just disturbing and make me uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Well there's a worry abated:

Article:
Crunchyroll announced on Monday that it is streaming the English dub for the Spice & Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf anime with the two leads reprising their roles from the original 2008 anime's dub:

The English cast includes:

Brina Palencia as Holo
J. Michael Tatum as Lawrence
Austin Tindle as Yarei
Emi Lo as Myuri
Doug Jackson as Village Chief

Hopefully they have a better voice director than the old show. Holo's performance carried the dub through a bunch of phoned-in performances from the rest of the cast

EDIT: They've already released the first episode. Yep, better direction all around. There's also this oddity where the OP got dubbed, too.

Last edited:
On episode 20 of undead unluck and yeah, this show sucks. There is nothing interesting happening at all, at least for me. The only good things that is happening is just interactions with d'arc and that's about it. Everything else is just boring stuff that I have seen countless times.

Gearing up to watch G Gundam, because I can. And I'm tempted to see if it's as good as I remember - I'm keen on seeing if I like it more than, say, 08th MS Team :p

Gearing up to watch G Gundam, because I can. And I'm tempted to see if it's as good as I remember - I'm keen on seeing if I like it more than, say, 08th MS Team :p

Run it back-to-back with Big O for extra punchy goodness.

(Mecha Batman deserves more love than he got.)

Jesus, how many Gundams are there?

Edit: 50. Jesus.

It's an incredibly long running franchise and basically the archetype of an entire genre. With that said, keep in mind that only some of the Gundam series are related to each other in any meaningful way. G-Gundam, for instance, is entirely stand alone (if you ignore ∀ Gundam). I'm not a big fan of the UC stuff (which is the main timeline that a bunch of series share), but a lot of the other ones are good and pretty diverse.

I liked some of the original UC stuff (the OG, Mobile Suit Gundam. War in the Pocket is great too as a more depressing side-story of little importance. I'm currently working my way through Gundam Zeta so I can watch Double Zeta/ZZ but... urgh it's a slog)

As far as non-UC goes, Witch from Mercury was okay. Liked the characters, plot was kinda rough in the back half and the first half feels like a tone shift from what was promised in the pilot.

Speaking of non-UC, I'm watching G Gundam mostly for the memes, but I loved it as a kid. And also because I want to see if it does a better job than 08th MS Team... which everyone loves for some reason, but I can't fucking stand Shirou Amada as a protagonist. Which is frustrating because I otherwise like 08th's set up.

(hot take: Tonally speaking, Shirou Amada and Domon Kashu should be switched.)

Last edited:
Finished undead unluck, finally. Honestly? 2/5. It wasnt that good. It had it's charm, but it wasnt that much good.

Like, there are some things about this show that i liked. Like the fact that this show contains two voice actors from Gintama, rie kugimiya and tomokazi sugita. I liked one of the characters here that reminds me of joan of arc, and the way she fights was cool to see.

But what I dont like os the animation. It doesnt look up to date, it looks like something that was made 10 years ago. I don't like the character designs of the characters, they just don't look fitting for them. I also don't like the relationship between Fuuko and Andy, it's very forced in this show. The kissing, the blushing, the hugging, just everything between them is forced, and it's so bad.

Is it recommendable? No, not really. Like, I guess this could be a show that you can recommend to someone who is a fan of zombie media or something like that, but even then, I wouldn't recommend it. You can, but I wouldn't.

I am continually impressed by your ability to watch through shows you don't even like. I have trouble doing that for shows I like.

And it's not like we haven't given him multiple lists of solid-to-all-time-classics tailored to multiple possible tastes, but then he'll show up like 'I spent thirty hours on this show that sucks, that you guys never talked about'.

I wouldn't need much convincing that it was a bit or a kink at this point. :V

I am continually impressed by your ability to watch through shows you don't even like. I have trouble doing that for shows I like.
Why thank you, lol. But it's not like I hate them from the start, I just continue on watching it until I feel like it's going to get better, because shows usually do that, this one just happens to not do that. But in general, I limit how many episodes I watch within an hour so I don't watch them too fast.

And it's not like we haven't given him multiple lists of solid-to-all-time-classics tailored to multiple possible tastes, but then he'll show up like 'I spent thirty hours on this show that sucks, that you guys never talked about'.

I wouldn't need much convincing that it was a bit or a kink at this point. :V
Oh no, no, it's neither of those things, lol. I wish I can finish stuff in 30 hours though, but then I would be speed watching it and I wouldn't understand anything, so I slow down to just doing "3 episodes a day" or something.

Well, I am certainly getting my money's worth out of my Netflix subscription.

First, Yu Yu Hakushou. I had started this a while ago but not finished it - I still haven't finished it, actually, but I made a conscious choice to take a break and watch something else right before the Dark Tournament arc, which I've often heard held up as one of the best tournament arcs in all of anime. So, excited to get back to that. For anyone unaware, it's a classic shonen, and it's nice to see traditional animation - especially because it really does still hold up.

What I took a break to watch was Vinland Saga, of which I'd seen half but didn't polish off the rest. It's pretty freaking great. I feel like if I tried to pitch what the show was about (beyond 'Vikings!') I'd find myself saying 'It's about X, but then actually Y happens and it's actually about Z, but then...' maybe 4 or 5 times, and describe the plot of at least the first 7 episodes. In fact it keeps on being surprising right up until the end of the finale of season 1! I hear season 2 is even better, so again looking forward to that.

I did actually finish seasons 1 and 2 of Mob Psycho 100, but not yet season 3. All of them have been added to Netflix (at least in the UK), so I will certainly check that out at some point.

Coming straight off Vinland Saga, though, I think I want something simple, lighthearted and straightforward. Yet another show I started ages ago and never finished was the second season of TenSura (not on Netflix, this time) - hopefully I catch up in time to jump in to the currently airing 3rd season.

I swear I'm not as indecisive as this post is making me seem... I do usually finish shows I start watching, honest!

I am now watching the 2nd season of girlfriend girlfriend.

It's a show about a high school boy showing care about his two girlfriends. That's, uh, really it. There's nothing much to say about it other than that.

The particular style of comedy for Kanojo mo Kanojo (3 people sharing a braincell and taking in turns to be the straight man) is not quite my cup of tea, but it's still entertaining enough.

The show is more notable, in my opinion, for actually tackling the issues surrounding a poly relationship in ways that I haven't really seen elsewhere. There's understandable jealousy issues which, for all the wacky comedy, the show does take 100% seriously, and it acknowledges that making these kind of polycules work requires massive trust between all parties involved.

Even 100 Girlfriends doesn't really deal with this, because Rentarou is so ridiculously perfect that he just kind of brute-forces any problems by being the best boyfriend ever. (This isn't a criticism, to be clear - 100 Girlfriends comedy is exactly my cup of tea.)

Another thing is that everyone there likes to talk by shouting. And the fact that the main character suffers from "Insane Troll Logic".... they all suffer from it in essence.
I mean, the shouting is not so much of a problem for me, because most anime does that just to give me a laugh, though none of them did it better than how gintama did.

With the male Mc, yeah he can be annoying. You can be nice, but not stupid nice, and he's stupid nice at all moments.

The only thing I kind of liked is the phone scene in the first season because, well, it's relatable, not wanting people to see shit on your phone, lol.

The particular style of comedy for Kanojo mo Kanojo (3 people sharing a braincell and taking in turns to be the straight man) is not quite my cup of tea, but it's still entertaining enough.

The show is more notable, in my opinion, for actually tackling the issues surrounding a poly relationship in ways that I haven't really seen elsewhere. There's understandable jealousy issues which, for all the wacky comedy, the show does take 100% seriously, and it acknowledges that making these kind of polycules work requires massive trust between all parties involved.

Even 100 Girlfriends doesn't really deal with this, because Rentarou is so ridiculously perfect that he just kind of brute-forces any problems by being the best boyfriend ever. (This isn't a criticism, to be clear - 100 Girlfriends comedy is exactly my cup of tea.)
I don't know man, I didn't see it tackle anything down that was significant to notice. Like, they are all there, there is no issue of trust here, other than the male Mc going "It's not fair to keep this secret from the other girls, they need to know their important thing," in which in turn makes me say "bra, your favorite sex position is not that important enough for you to tell her."

Like, they are all there, there is no issue of trust here

Sounds like you need to rewatch it then, because you missed this.

Now, admittedly, I'm working with manga knowledge here. It's entirely possible that the anime cut out a lot of scenes showing Saki's insecurity and annoyance at going from a couple where she gets all of the MC's attention to one point of a triangle - and there are a lot of these, especially as everyone's getting used to their new dynamic. There are a lot of scenes and whole chapters that deal with the odd situation of Saki being the first and 'main' girlfriend, while the MC and the other one (I cannot remember the names, I'm afraid) bend over backwards to try and keep her happy because the whole thing is only happening at her sufferance. And, of course, Saki feels guilty about their doing that, especially with Shino in her ear telling her she deserves it.

It'd be an odd thing to do, but it's possible that the anime did cut all those scenes out.

However, I know for a fact that the anime does deal with poly trust issues, because I've seen stills and Mirika is there. Now, Mirika's whole deal is to act as a character lever to play on the insecurities of Saki and... the other one. She's there so that the MC can demonstrate that, no, just because he's in a poly relationship doesn't mean he's going to start adding girls willy-nilly. No, not even if they're super cute and rich. No, not even if they really like him. No, not even if he actually kind of likes them back - not without talking to the others and making sure they're OK with it.

(Also to facilitate hijinks with a slightly higher budget than the cast could otherwise access, but I'm talking character not comedy here.)

Sounds like you need to rewatch it then, because you missed this.

Now, admittedly, I'm working with manga knowledge here. It's entirely possible that the anime cut out a lot of scenes showing Saki's insecurity and annoyance at going from a couple where she gets all of the MC's attention to one point of a triangle - and there are a lot of these, especially as everyone's getting used to their new dynamic. There are a lot of scenes and whole chapters that deal with the odd situation of Saki being the first and 'main' girlfriend, while the MC and the other one (I cannot remember the names, I'm afraid) bend over backwards to try and keep her happy because the whole thing is only happening at her sufferance. And, of course, Saki feels guilty about their doing that, especially with Shino in her ear telling her she deserves it.

It'd be an odd thing to do, but it's possible that the anime did cut all those scenes out.

However, I know for a fact that the anime does deal with poly trust issues, because I've seen stills and Mirika is there. Now, Mirika's whole deal is to act as a character lever to play on the insecurities of Saki and... the other one. She's there so that the MC can demonstrate that, no, just because he's in a poly relationship doesn't mean he's going to start adding girls willy-nilly. No, not even if they're super cute and rich. No, not even if they really like him. No, not even if he actually kind of likes them back - not without talking to the others and making sure they're OK with it.

(Also to facilitate hijinks with a slightly higher budget than the cast could otherwise access, but I'm talking character not comedy here.)
Yeah, I have to admit, I don't remember some parts of the first season.

But yes, I would believe that they did cut out some parts, because they began the harem thing right away in the first episode. It was kind of cute, but also dumb at the same time, but I didn't have much to watch and I was on a romance tour for some reason, so I just continued on watching it.

By the way, I kind of feel bad for the yellow hair girl. Her character is nothing but being a yandere, but the nicer version of one, and that's all she is. It's quite annoying, she could have just been written out and it wouldn't make the show any less different.

Sigh*. You know, when I watched girlfriend, girlfriend for the first, I thought to myself "man, this is kind of relatable in a way." But nah, it's not, especially with this season.

This show, as I realize it, is more in the sense of stuff that no teenager does or say. This is, like, what the people who made this show thinks gen z talks, but most of it is something that gen Y would say. No one says "vaca." No one says "they ride me." And no one says "be gone, thot" like that, especially in the context of the way they say it.

I think I'm just going to give up, I don't know. I'm cringing at everything that is happening, and it hurts.

This show, as I realize it, is more in the sense of stuff that no teenager does or say. This is, like, what the people who made this show thinks gen z talks, but most of it is something that gen Y would say. No one says "vaca." No one says "they ride me." And no one says "be gone, thot" like that, especially in the context of the way they say it.
Are you talking about dubbing/subtitles? I just notice that when dubbing Japanese media, they can be heavily remade.

Back