Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Voting is open
Narratively speaking, it may be better for Eike to make her own staff, considering her Natural Alchemist trait. I'd be willing to donate our remaining dragon bone when she becomes a Magister. I don't imagine we'll be using it very soon.

I am actually uncertain if we can make staffs for other winds...
We can, but the results will probably not be as good as they would be for Ulgu:
Mathilde applied her own insight into the nature of Ulgu into making her staff. She'd be theoretically capable of doing so for other Winds, but it's like a musician making their own instrument vs the same musician making an instrument they've never played and can never play. They'd have the theoretical knowledge, but none of the first-hand experience.

I wouldn't mind making Eike a staff when she becomes a magister, but I definitely wouldn't want to give her one for her journeying. That said, I do really like the idea of giving her materials to make her own with, it sounds like something she would enjoy and I like the idea of having a craftsperson in charge of the EIC.

I think we should make a Staff for one of the Lord Magisters that doesn't have a Staff yet.

It will have a greater impact that way.

Yes, but we are more likely to have it do something if we make it for Eike. Conservation of detail is a thing, I doubt Boney ever made a roll for some random Lord Magister which was impacted by their staff, extant or not. We can feel virtuous about giving say Starke a staff, but as far as impact in the narrative my bet is it would come down to very little if anything.

Yes, but we are more likely to have it do something if we make it for Eike. Conservation of detail is a thing, I doubt Boney ever made a roll for some random Lord Magister which was impacted by their staff, extant or not. We can feel virtuous about giving say Starke a staff, but as far as impact in the narrative my bet is it would come down to very little if anything.
The narrative impact would be interpersonal more than mechanical, I think. Although with the Greys I expect the interpersonal impact to be more "what plot is she plotting that she needed to give me this to make me like her for?" and less "cool, thanks for the free staff!"

The narrative impact would be interpersonal more than mechanical, I think. Although with the Greys I expect the interpersonal impact to be more "what plot is she plotting that she needed to give me this to make me like her for?" and less "cool, thanks for the free staff!"

Assuming we get an a paragraph about the cool staff we give Starke* every time we meet the man (which seems a bit obsessive of him, but lets go with it for now) how many times have we met Starke in total in the quest? It feels a bit like that idea of getting dwarfs to look at steam tanks, throwing resources down a hole we will rarely if ever look down.
*It has to be Starke, the others have a staff from the previous staff turner, he is the only one noted as being staffless

Last edited:
Assuming we get an a paragraph about the cool staff we give Starke* every time we meat the man (which seems a bit obsessive of him, but lets go with it for now) how many times have we met Starke in total in the quest? It feels a bit like that idea of getting dwarfs to look at steam tanks, throwing resources down a hole we will rarely if ever look down.
*It has to be Starke, the others have a staff from the previous staff turner, he is the only one noted as being staffless
3 times, I think?

Once for anti-Chaos Training, once for the Supreme Patriarch duels, and once for the inquiry about her time in Stirland?

Personally if any of the LMs want a staff they can ask us for one and we think about payments for it. This narratively would work itself out as boney having a fun idea for said character but just making a staff because it's "the right thing to do." Rubs me the wrong way.
I have noticed that in the thread sometimes, people want the most positive impact with all AP on the world possible while forgetting that this is a story one reads for fun and that this fun should come first.

The only reason I can see to make a staff is as, basically, a bribe to another LM to help us with something that we can't pay for with Favour. For example, although Algard has a staff so it isn't applicable for him, Boney mentioned that we couldn't just pay him in Favour to get his assistanec with towers for the mist bridge.

Starke has the power, influence, and wealth that if he wants a staff, he can get one. Therefore, him not owning a staff is an intentional choice and not a deficiency that we need to fix.

Besides, I really don't like the guy, so I would rather we don't do unprompted favours for him.

Making a staff for Eike as a present for making Magister feels good cause she's supposed to get one anyways- the College just doesn't have a Turner.

Mathilde had to make her own because there wasn't anyone to make one for her- Eike has Mathilde. Investing one or two AP in a staff for her feels right.

Outside of that- well, AP don't come cheap and taking the action to turn a staff doesn't actually guarantee getting a staff- let alone a good one. It can very easily be a wasted action, that can also waste the materials.

Staff turning

1: Complete failure, material wasted
2: Salvageable failure
3-4: Normal staff
5: Staff with quirk
6: Exceptional staff

Literally crazy, but can't set people on fire with a thought.

That's a big deal.
He can, if he uses the right incantation and ritual gesture. Goes something like this:

Extend your finger towards the target while holding your hand far from your body. The speak the incantation: "Guards, set this man on fire"
As spell material, a parchment of legal writing with affixed wax seals can be used.

The Lore of Having Armed Dudes has a frankly unnecessary number of spells like that.

Last edited:
Making a staff for Eike as a present for making Magister feels good cause she's supposed to get one anyways- the College just doesn't have a Turner.

Mathilde had to make her own because there wasn't anyone to make one for her- Eike has Mathilde. Investing one or two AP in a staff for her feels right.

Outside of that- well, AP don't come cheap and taking the action to turn a staff doesn't actually guarantee getting a staff- let alone a good one. It can very easily be a wasted action, that can also waste the materials.
I get where you are coming from, but I'm much more selfish:
The following comes from a place of wanting to save AP, but I'd prefer for Eike to get staff turning lessons (paid for as a gift on the event of her graduation) and also gift her both the Dragon bone and the Dyrcha wood to use as she sees fit.

That way she can leverage her Materials trait - if it happens to be useful in this context - and has up to two attempts at making a really good staff if she does badly on her first try.

He can, if he uses the right incantation and ritual gesture. Goes something like this:

Extend your finger towards the target while holding your hand fat from your body. The speak the incantation: "Guards, set this man on fire"
As spell material, a parchment of legal writing with affixed wax seals can be used.

The Lore of Having Armed Dudes has a frankly unnecessary number of spells like that.
TBF, at least the guards can refuse.

"Summon daemons pitchfork-wielding angry mob from beyond the veil the fields" is one of the more unfortunate miscasts.

Even attempting the often-innocuous "Gloat over your avoidance of your feudal obligations" can be fumbled if cast within earshot of your liege-lords' Spymistress, quickly chaining into the dreaded "MisCast down in favour of your more pliable brother or cousin" if you are unlucky.

"Summon daemons pitchfork-wielding angry mob from beyond the veil the fields" is one of the more unfortunate miscasts.

Even attempting the often-innocuous "Gloat over your avoidance of your feudal obligations" can be fumbled if cast within earshot of your liege-lords' Spymistress, quickly chaining into the dreaded "MisCast down in favour of your more pliable brother or cousin" if you are unlucky.
I suppose being even more unlucky could result in the summoning of a dread creature from another plane of existence: a Grey Wizard.

Voting is open
Back