Warhammer 40k headcanon vehicles

ShyPerson

Guardian of the dead’s final rest.
Pronouns
Him/He
Being both a 40k fan and interested in military matters to an extent, I have find the former severely lacking in interesting additions for a while, specifically that I dislike most of the new stuff that has been rolled out for recent editions. With that in mind I decided to share my ideas for vehicles for niches the official material has not often added to.

I think the best place to set the tone is addressing the biggest hole in the Space Marine line-up: Artillery.

To understand where I am coming from regarding the Space Marines I recommend looking at my entries from this thread. In essence I view the best way to characterize the Chapters in a doctrinal and organisational sense is to contrast with the Imperial Guard. If the Guard mostly resemble World War 1 to late Cold War formations, the Space Marines could contrast by resembling more a modern Brigade. The former is built to be deployed in its entirety for large scale combat operations, the former is mainly deployed in smaller task organized detachments built from different elements of the order of battle.

Regarding artillery doctrine the difference is while the Guard practices massive barrages of inaccurate fire, the Marines instead rellies on a small volume of accurate fire. The Imperial Guard will warn you weeks ahead with its mass expenditure. The Marines will give you two minutes at best before following up the few shots.

To fill in the hole in the Space Marine motor pool I have thought up three new additions and modified an existing vehicle. I decided to follow the Whirlwinds example and named the new additions after wind types as a unifying theme.

The Squall
In essence a mortar carrier. Its a Rhino where the top hatch opens for a large mortar.

The Mistral
A self-propelled artillery variant of the Rhino, mounting the equivalent of a 155 or 152 mm artillery howitzer. Design wise I would base the turret on the Soviet 2S19 Msta-S for having a boxy shape that I think fits best with the existing aesthetic. Its the primary big artillery piece, even if most chapters don't have many of them. They stand out from the Guards artillery park by having superior fire control systems and the ability to fire guided munitions equivalent to Krasnopol and Excalibur rounds.

The Monsoon
A massive piece mounted on a Land Raider chassis, based on the M110. It has the same advantages as the Mistral over its Guard contemporaries, but bigger and able to fire rare and exotic ammunition types. Its a fairly rare item, whose regular use is mainly by the Imperial Fists and the few chapters who maintain a specialization in siege warfare. Other chapters have a few mostly kept in the armoury, and rolled out on rare occasions. Most chapters don't have any, and the odds of having them shrinks the more recent its founding.

The Whirlwind
Its an exiting vehicle, but I imagine some key alterations. I would take the Rhino hull and replace the small launcher and much of the rear with a much bigger one. Think one like the M270, with the equivalent range and destructive capability.

Said vehicles would be assisted by a Rhino variant with the communication and cogitator equipment to service as a Fire Control Centre. With spotting done via scouts, trained observers or Servo Skull spotters.

That's pretty much Legion Basilisk and Medusa (sorry for using 40k wiki).

Said vehicles would be assisted by a Rhino variant with the communication and cogitator equipment to service as a Fire Control Centre. With spotting done via scouts, trained observers or Servo Skull spotters.

So pretty much Command Rhino?

That's pretty much Legion Basilisk and Medusa (sorry for using 40k wiki).

So pretty much Command Rhino?
For the former it was about thinking up space marine sepecific artillery, as those names are largely associated with the Imperial Guard.

For the later a fire control center has very diffrent demands from a commend center, with a whole other set of technology needed.

For the later a fire control center has very diffrent demands from a commend center, with a whole other set of technology needed.

Probably yes, but does SM deploy enough artillery to need such vehicle?

In 30k yes, but in 40k it happens rarely.

Or in other word, is there enough demands for such vehicle to exist and is this function already (partially or full) fulliflled by something already.

For the former it was about thinking up space marine sepecific artillery, as those names are largely associated with the Imperial Guard.

Names can be whatever, but why invent new guns when there already exist cannons that can fulfill the same role without making logistics more complex?

Probably yes, but does SM deploy enough artillery to need such vehicle?

In 30k yes, but in 40k it happens rarely.

Or in other word, is there enough demands for such vehicle to exist and is this function already (partially or full) fulliflled by something already.

Names can be whatever, but why invent new guns when there already exist cannons that can fulfill the same role without making logistics more complex?
Because as I view it, the legion Medusa and Basilisks are largely retired, with the Mistral and Monsoons being developed at the end of the Great Crusade, thereby becoming the replacements for the new chapter based doctrine.

The Squall seems more Griffon than Medusa. You also need an ammo carrier Rhino variant (and something similar for the Guard).

For the Guard I'd add in some Land Crawler variant for use as an artillery tractor.

The Squall seems more Griffon than Medusa. You also need an ammo carrier Rhino variant (and something similar for the Guard).

For the Guard I'd add in some Land Crawler variant for use as an artillery tractor.
I believe the Guard has an artillery tractor in the Centaur.

On top of an ammunition vehicle I think the marines also need an armored tanker to ship fuel for vehicles and flamethrowers. They also need armored recovery vehicles, one based off the Rhino chassis, and one off the Land Raider.

I believe the Guard has an artillery tractor in the Centaur.

On top of an ammunition vehicle I think the marines also need an armored tanker to ship fuel for vehicles and flamethrowers. They also need armored recovery vehicles, one based off the Rhino chassis, and one off the Land Raider.
I still want the most produced of Land's STC vehicles to be more seen. :V

The ammo carrier is specifically for the artillery vehicles, not general logistics. That's a role that IRL gets special vehicles on a one-to-one basis to the actual SPGs. And for ARVs you'd ideally just go for the Land Raider-based one as that is more universal (a Rhino-based one will have difficulty with Land Raider-chassis stuff).

I still want the most produced of Land's STC vehicles to be more seen. :V

The ammo carrier is specifically for the artillery vehicles, not general logistics. That's a role that IRL gets special vehicles on a one-to-one basis to the actual SPGs. And for ARVs you'd ideally just go for the Land Raider-based one as that is more universal (a Rhino-based one will have difficulty with Land Raider-chassis stuff).
My reasoning for separate recovery vehicles is that the Land Raider reads as a rarer platform, likely due to being materially and technically demanding to manufacture, making it not ubiquitous on deployments. Thereby for most of the time, the Rhino based ARV is all that's needed, with the Land Raider variant reserved for when its parant vehicle is fielded.

It also has real-life precedent, as most armies fielding armor has diffrent recovery vehicles based on the chassis in service, with at least one that can pull an infantry fighting vehicle at its heaviest, and one for the tanks. This division for the Space Marine motor pool simply makes sense to me.

To continue, my next additions are a more radical departure from the normal precepts of Space Marine vehicle design. Based on the precedent that some chapters have their own distinctive vehicles, I have thought up some for the White Scars and their successors to give something doctrinally and visually distinct. The core idea are wheeled equivalents to the rhino family.

What brought it on is that the White Scars's whole doctrine is based around rapid movement. Tracked vehicles can certainly drive quickly, but it does not convey the the notion of speed that wheeled vehicles do. Inspiration also came from the French armies love of wheeled armour. Mind this does not mean the White Scars and successors don't have tracked vehicles, but that their doctrinal preferences leans towards favoring the mobility and ease of maintenance in the field wheeled vehicles offer.

The Azarga APC
The base chassis named for the Mongolian word for stallion to fit the chapters theme. Compared to the Rhino it possesses greater speed and road mobility, in exchange for weaker armour. It has most of the same variants as the Rhino who are named after appropriate animals in Mongolian, save one exception. Visually I would base it off the Piranha or the Boxer.

The Chono (Wolf)
The exception to the Azargas shared functionality with the Rhino, the Predator equivalent is based on its own six wheeled chassis. Based on the AMX-10RC, it's a light recon vehicle with the firepower of a tank. It fils the roll of direct fire support that can keep of with bike formations and Azarga mounted infantry and reconnaissance/screen for the heavier armor.

Back