To Topple a Kingdom

It wasn't fair, it wasn't fair, it wasn't fair, IT WASN'T FAIR!

Anastasia flounced down the beach as the golden light felt as if it were searing the back of her elegant, somewhat crooked neck. She could float, but she could also fall, she seemed to be able to pass through herself well enough but her misty skirts could still snag on things. The inconsistency of it all was just appalling. The banshee winced as she looked down at her truncated stumps still oozing the odd greenish-vapor she was composed of now, something would have to be done about them.

With the storm lashed waves crashing under foot she cast around for any sort of shelter against the elements and the eventual daylight. Those damn clerics had her positively hating the stuff now. Just darkness...nice, safe dark. Maybe some meat too. The thought came unbidden, in life she'd been something of an annoyance, shifting between diets with the season but always some variation of 'things a rabbit would eat'. Now...now there was an awful twinge in her ghostly guts, demanding attention. Fish maybe?

Her eyes turned seaward and the milky orbs blinked. It was dark. It was inaccessible. It was full of meat.

Rather pointlessly hiking up her skirts, Anastasia stomped out in to the surf. If she could stand having her own knees shoved through her head, a bit of wet couldn't hurt.
You attempt to chase fish in the choppy waters. After several longs minutes of being sprayed, splashing around at random, and trying and failing to catch anything in the foam, you manage to find a small grab. Driven by an unnatural hunger, you snap it apart with your ethereal grip. But then, your hunger begins to assuage as you focus on the dying animal. It shrivels up and perishes in your grasp, unnaturally decayed within an instant. You feel better (+2 HP get).

Unfortunately, you hear closing shouts from behind. Turning about, you see the flicker of torches down the beach, and faintly through their illumination, a slick stairway leading up the cliff side. You guess the monks liked to visit the beach on occasion...You'd be surprised at them taking so long to get down to you, but then, the shouts seem to be curses and cries for help. It seems slick stone stairs aren't easy to climb down in a storm. Who'd a thunk?
Marius rolled his eyes. "Oh yes of course, no demon could possibly have the self-control to not immediately go on a murder spree. And you are the one exception, or more likely you are a Angel in disguise." He chuckled a bit. "Though honestly, you cannot tell me that Demons cannot have fun doing other things. I have seen when you were playing with the girls and helping them make flower crowns when you thought no one was watching."
The Demoness hisses. "You saw nothing. It'll make my career deader than Isa'beleth'nrelxar'duvian's if that gets out." She folds her arms across her bountiful chest, shaking her head. "Besides, I do burn down the country side and go on murder sprees. Just got done with a temp gig in the Sekarin desert-you've probably never heard of it-raising a dread edifice of Evil to some archdevil or another. I forget the name, which is probably for the better. The raining blood was a pain to get out of my hair." She says, glancing at her nails.

"If you want to contract demons, it can work, don't get me wrong. But we bring fire and brimstone, not flowers and...Uh, ethically sourced stone."
The half-dragon twitched a little even as he walked closer to the entrance of the cave to check for anyone guarding it or just being in the area. He didn't want to get surprised after all. And he would ignore that... that sweet roll thing.

"Maybe we can free him when we get the time... where exactly is he held?"

Yes, act as if everything is sensible and the world hadn't gone crazy. It was the only way to continue things!

Huh, that actually sounded somewhat useful. Even if he wasn't that useful himself, he may have some connections that could come into handy.

"I think that last one sounds best for now, don't you believe. He seems the only semi-competent and easily gained minion." Marius paused as he considered his new role in existence. "Am I an evil wizard now?" He asked himself loudly, pondering on such a thing. On one hand, he was now undead and had heard nothing of any undead heroes, or even normal undead people who didn't go out to do evil. On the other hand, he had no real desire to eat the face off of people or murder mothers and children in cold blood.

Finally he shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, first thing first, need to find the rest of the village that got away. And I need clothes that won't vanish if someone uses a dispel or some Paladin uses his holy nonsense. Though I guess it could work as a surprise." Marius considered for a moment the possibility of laughing madly as his clothes vanished because his enemies used a dispel.

Nah, real clothes were better. If he wasn't a shadow..... thingy, he would probably be freezing right now.

Marius paused for a moment as he was close to the entrance. No, he guessed he would rather avoid battle while being totally in the nude.

He concentrated on his magic, calling upon the veil of illusions to clad himself in nothingness until he became invisible. That should come naturally to him now that he was basically a living.. or not living shadow?

With a thought, he included Aya in the effect. Of course once she attacked anyone directly, it would break. And well, if they did ran into anyone from the army he did want to give some payback to them.

And Aya did always have a liking for surprising people.
"Fort a few days hike to the west." Aya replied. "And if you are an evil wizard now, remember to mention me in any dealings with devils you do. I get a commission for every mortal I corrupt."

The shadows wrap around you, allowing you to blend in with the darkness of the dungeon with ease. You're surprised, for you meant to become actually invisible...But this was far easier. The shadows bent to your will with ease, obscuring you as long as you dwelt in places where the dark reigned.

"Not a bad effect, though I've seen more impressive. Warlocks who could shape the shadows into living weapons and servants...Though that will take a while to teach." Aya says as shadows wrap around her like a cloak. You step out of the tomb into the moonlit night, the both of you obscured from sight. In the distance, you make out smoke pillars rising from what remains of your village. Down a hill from the tomb on the main road, you spy a group of light cavalry men passing by on horses. Though they look straight at you, they see nothing, not even with the moon shining so bright.

"So you want to find the refugees. Nearest town is obviously the best place to look...But I have to wonder if they would even find shelter there. The Inquisition has everyone backstabbing each other in fear. Almost as competently as lil' Tene' did." Aya sighs. "And it wouldn't be a very...Welcoming place for us. I expect they may have tried to set p a refugee camp somewhere that'd provide decent shelter off the main roads, which would be hard to track. Unless we can find directions somewhere in town, I suppose."
Logren makes the appropriately sympathetic noises as he listens to the brigand's little rant. In truth, things just weren't the same when there wasn't a proper Dark Lord around to keep the Forces of Good on their toes. Honestly though, having armored knights guard merchants? How was a dishonest man to make a living in these conditions?

"Oh no," the lich says with a solemn shake of his head, hand raised up to forestall the brigand. "I would never ask you to break your contract, that would be simply improper!" One had to do things the right way after all, with the paperwork squared away and all the i's dotted and t's crossed. To do so otherwise would just leave a big mess and then who would be left cleaning that up? People like him, the paper pushers and clerks, that's who! Well, Logren supposed he wasn't one of them anymore, given his new status, but old habits were hard to break. "And sadly, I find myself with empty pockets at the moment."

Rubbing the bottom of his bony jaw, the loremaster then nods. "Like I said, an exchange would do nicely, wouldn't it? I'm afraid food is off the table, but I could always enchant your gear or if you have the ingredients, I could prepare some potions for your clan. At the moment, I'm just looking for some corpses and a place to rest." Still aimlessly floating in the air, Logren's bones make a clattering sound as he gives a careless shrug. "But as you say, perhaps it would be better for me to speak to your boss. Ah, and do pass along my offer, won't you?"
The bandit nods in sympathy. "I'll see if the boss is up. Feel free to, ah, stay around the fire. I'll tell the idiots inside not to shoot you full of crossbow bolts. Unless you go wandering where you ain't supposed to, but I'm sure a respectable...ah...Mortally challenged individual like yourself wouldn't do something so stupid. Be right back." He nods, disappearing through a doorway. Not long after, the bandits who ran off creep back alongside an annoyed and rather bulky individual with a rusty cleaver. The former two shrink to the corners, but the newcomer just grunts a greeting and stirs a pan of coffee on the fireplace. You didn't even notice the aroma as you approached, and even now at this range it seems faint and distant. It appears your death has dulled your sense of smell for such things...Though not for blood and meat. The bulky man reeks of dried blood, even though he seems clean. And the stink of death pours from the old fort proper.

About a half hour later, your welcomer returns. Behind him is a tall woman with bright red hair and a scar across her remaining violet eye-the other covered in an eyepath. Her clothing is of much finer make than the others, her boots a fine deerskin and a wolf-skin coat keeping her warm on the chill night. Most of all, she wears a fine coat of mail with minor magical seals affixed with wax coating. A long saber lies sheathed at her side.

"So, you're the visitor I was told about on my way back from the privy. Usually I'd tell you to piss off, but usually I don't have the undead knocking on my door." The woman states, idly fingering her blade. There's a shadow beneath her eye, but she watches you attentively nonetheless. "You're a Lich? Never run into one of you who weren't employers, let alone asking for an equal dealing with me of all people. You have some kind of trouble on your tail?" She asks.
Warlock?

Warlock?

Now that is just uncalled for, that no better than she should be tin plated hussy witnessing two, two invocations of Lady Nightsong's divine power, resurrection and levitation, and she says warlock?

The urge to backhand her heretical drivel back down the "paladin's" throat comes closer to breaking Agatha's concentration that the projectiles or the smoke did (really, smoke, crossbow quarrels and axe? Try maintaining the Litany Against Bedbugs in a nursery full of cranky two year olds for a full night shift, this is novitiate level in comparison) but no, she is the Mother Superior of the Lady of Song and Starlight, laying her hands on the heretic (and her gaggle of merely misled and therefore somewhat less heretical followers) is beneath her.

Better to invoke the Grandmother's wrath and scourge them from the face of the Earth with fiery perdition from on high... and, not for the first time, Agatha remembers that Lady Nightsong's portfolio does not grant access to such spells. Blast and be-bother!

Well then.

"Grandmother, yea though I walk the night by thy will, I shall fear no evil, for thou hast made the darkness mine cloak and shield!" Agatha flings her arms out in supplication, as two things happen roughly in unison.

The first is the pillar of shadows she is standing regally atop collapsing, something like a wave crashing down. A wave of liquid shadows...which sadly, lack the crushing force of an actual wave or any of the more esoteric effects usually associated with magical shadow, like draining those caught in them to lifeless husks.

No, if all goes well this will merely engulf the heretics in a field of gloom, utterly ruining their aim.

The second thing is Agatha flinging herself backwards off the pillar as it falls, aiming to land on solid ground on the far side of the pit of burning corpses from the (heretical) men at arms and their (false) paladin leaders.
The wave of darkness floods over the field, drowin out the lights of torches and even of the blazing inferno below you. For a moment, all is blackness. Cries of shock, alarm, and pain echo after you as you try to flee.

"My leg!"
"Get off of me you oaf!"
"She'll murder us all in the dark!"
"My kidney!"
"Oh Gods, she's right behind me!" *twang*
"Ow! Watch it! You almost shot me!"
"Ah! It's Agatha!"
"My nose! You just hit me in the face with your bloody crossbow you idiot!"

Frantic crossbow bolts and javelins fly every which way in the darkness. Most miss by a mile. Most. A single, incredibly lucky javelin smacks you right in the back, and your previously dignified fall to the ground turns into a terribly undignified faceplant (-3 HP, maimed). After a few moments of trying to figure out how to extract a javelin from your spine, you only manage to snap off the end. With a rather painful chunk still buried in your spine, you shamble forward in an awkward gait toward the forest's edge.

Behind you, you hear old Imperial chants. And then golden flames blaze through the darkness. You turn, to see the dragon emblems upon the Templars' armor blazing, golden light spraying forth from the end of their blades like a drake's breath. It isn't enough to quench your magically called darkness, but it is enough for them to see by.

"She's not above the pyre!"
"Dragon's breath, she's running for it! Get her!" The two Templars move, sprinting in your general direction along with the very few men-at-arms not busy toppled atop each other or cowering in fear. A few crossbow bolts whizz by you, only to plink into the dirt harmlessly as you make it into the wood. You have a good, strong headstart over the two Templar, and they keep tripping over roots, where you can see surprisingly well for everything being dark. Unfortunately, the Templars have one advantage you don't. Cardio.

Just improper. Don't they know plate armor is supposed to slow them to a turtle like crawl? A stray thought bubbles in your mind, along with the curious smell of salt, butter, and a weird crunching noise. Shaking it off, you narrowly dodge a sword blow at head height.
"Come here granny! This'll be over quick!" The female Templar shouts, stabbing at your torso, but your narrowly manage to stumble out of the way, her blazing sword chopping deep into an innocent tree instead and setting it on fire. She curses, prying the blade out of the wood while you try to make some more distance. You fail, and a blow cuts into your calf. You stumble, smacking off a tree, turning to see the silver armor of the Templar gleaming bright in the light of his burning blade.

"Die!" He bellows, bringing the blade up for a double-handed swing. And then an arrow pings off his helmet. "What the-?" He asks, turning as a second arrow glances off a pauldron and embeds itself in a tree behind me. "Hey! Cut that out!" He shouts, a third arrow splintering into a hundred pieces on his breastplate. "Come the hell on, do you know how hard it is to buff scratches out of this armor you prick?" He screeches, a forth arrow snapping against a knee plate. "It's useless, stop shooting me already!" He shouts, a fifth arrow just straight up missing him and landing on the other side of him, making a loud snap. He glances toward it instinctively, and you take the momentary distraction to scramble into the undergrowth.

An armored gauntlet wraps around your foot, the female Templar snarling. "Not so fast, you murder-" She begins, before an arrow strikes her right in the hand. The arrowhead flattens, the wooden shaft snapping in twain, but the blow knocks her grip loose for a moment. Crawling under a thorn thicket, you manage to drag yourself to freedom on the other side as angry shouts and hacking noises echo from behind you. You don't stick around, quickly making some distance.

As soon as you have some breathing room, you lean yourself against an ancient great oak. You're filth ridden, your skin is rotting, you have a javelin bit stuck in you, your calf looks like a butcher tore into it, and your back is torn up by thorns. But you've survived, for now at least. You can still hear the Templars and their minions stamping about in the wood. And you're not sure what happened to your mysterious helper.
"Sir Tarkus Rotavele of the Azure Aegis," he grunted as he tossed in a hastily torn rag with the few scant possessions he had, something to give his newly acquired possessions a quick wipe when Bladewind wasn't hanging over his head. His boot (which was rather spiffy if he said so himself) brushed again a corpse, and he had a sudden intense desire to take a bite out of-Gods no, what was he thinking? The last thing he wanted to do was start cleaving to undead stereotypes and confirm everyone's biases about his freshly undead state, including his own. The last thing he needed on top of everything else was to develop a sudden taste for cannibalism, that was most certainly a line he refused to cross unless necessary.

Shaking his head in disgust at himself, he got up, one of his claws twitching against his scaled hide at Jacobs' mention of incoming trouble. A notion that his gut instinct entirely agreed with, they had stayed here too long. "I'll take your word for it. We're going," he said brusquely. He gathered up his things and started off at a jog in the opposite direction. He would get to the edge of the battlefield, and then circle around the fringe in the direction of Cinigrad. No one here knew the Dragonspine like he did, especially not some crazed elf with an awkwardly justified grudge against him, once he got to the mountains he should be able to outpace her and get to the city if she felt a mind to follow.

Well, that was the plan in any case.
"Oh, that's a...A uh, very excellent title, your lordship." Your new squire says blankly, staring at you. "Uhm. What's it mean?"

Your march, thankfully, faces little trouble and you make good time. You were tireless as a mortal, and now, you're all but inexhaustible. Your new mortal companion, however, is soon left gasping for breath by the tempo you set, and you're forced to stop for him repeatedly. You also have to keep telling him to leave corpses alone, as almost anything shiny distracts him. Almost as bad as a magpie...
Or a Dragon.

"You hear something, m'lord?" The man asks as you glance about. With a shake of your head, you continue on, doubling back around the battlefield. You don't see any more crazy elves around, which is certainly a blessing. Unfortunately however, your hike would not be left in peace forever. Howls rise in the distance.

"Wolves. The big, black ones." Jacobs explains casually. "The ones from that Dark Lord fella's kennels? Musta gotten loose when he up an' died an' all. But it's nothin' to worry 'bout. They mostly scavenge on the dead, an' lone living folks. And we're two!" He says with a gormless smile. Yet, the howls only come closer and closer. You can see several of the huge, black furred beasts crossing a hill in the distance. Maybe Jacobs right and they'll mostly leave you alone, or at least only come in numbers small enough for you to handle. Or maybe you should seek the questionable safety of the cave tunnels, though this risks being devoured by something far more frightening than a few black hounds.

Last edited:
Warm flesh and warm blood tastes unnaturally good going down your rotting throat, even though the meat is raw. Disturbing. Which is unsurprising. Cannibalism generally is at least mildly disturbing.

Your wounds begin healing already from the snack of meat, but you hear the all too familiar sounds of a forming angry mob in the distance. Quickly, you abandon your feast and flee into the woods before they can try hanging you again.

With the church bell ringing in the distance, as well as angry shouts, you cower in the shadow of a tree as your wounds slowly regenerate. Finally, your shot out eye recovers, though it's still a tad blurry at the moment. (+3 wounds, regain eye.

Gruk considers his options. He couldn't fight an entire mob. Especially if they tried the same trick with them not raising arms against him. It'd be deathly embarrassing to die twice to the same stupid gimmick. He decided to keep running. He was confident he could outrun the Peasant Mob, and if they had cavalry, they'd be disordered and spread out in this forest terrain, good for an ambush. He'd keep running until he lost the pursuers, then consider his options afterwards. Perhaps he could ambush a patrol or two and take their clothes and weapons? After all, trading up from Undead or to a mere bandit was an upgrade in these circumstances!

Realizing he wasn't fully healed, he also keeps a look out for animals he could run down and kill with the spear. Preferably ones that didn't talk and scream when gutted.

About a half hour later, your welcomer returns. Behind him is a tall woman with bright red hair and a scar across her remaining violet eye-the other covered in an eye-patch. Her clothing is of much finer make than the others, her boots a fine deerskin and a wolf-skin coat keeping her warm on the chill night. Most of all, she wears a fine coat of mail with minor magical seals affixed with wax coating. A long saber lies sheathed at her side.

"So, you're the visitor I was told about on my way back from the privy. Usually I'd tell you to piss off, but usually I don't have the undead knocking on my door." The woman states, idly fingering her blade. There's a shadow beneath her eye, but she watches you attentively nonetheless. "You're a Lich? Never run into one of you who weren't employers, let alone asking for an equal dealing with me of all people. You have some kind of trouble on your tail?" She asks.
Hovering silently above the floor, Logren amused himself with manipulating his cloak of shadows to pass the time, dark tendrils reaching out to sketch random arcane patterns in the air. Really, this whole lich thing had been awfully nice. He'd never had the control to do this back when he was alive, much less the firepower he had at his fingertips now. Bless the Lord the Shadows, truly.

At the arrival of the brigand chief, Logren finds himself instinctively straightening up, the lich barely suppressing a reactive bow. A distinctive hair and eye color, an aesthetically pleasing scar and clad in equipment of much better make than her underlings? Oh yes, this was sure to be an Important Person. But so was he too now, wasn't he?

Instead the loremaster inclines his head in a respectful nod before responding. "Hmm, no trouble. Well, not anymore that is. There's a grave thereabouts," Logren says with a vague wave towards where he had come from, "that might need some refilling." Left unsaid was the fact that if some local found the open grave, an alarm was sure to be thrown up, drawing more attention to the region than the brigand clan would probably like.

"But in any case, I find myself with a dire lack of resources and shelter, a most uncomfortable situation as you can imagine. So I repeat myself. What do you say about a trade?"

"Fort a few days hike to the west." Aya replied. "And if you are an evil wizard now, remember to mention me in any dealings with devils you do. I get a commission for every mortal I corrupt."

He chuckled a bit before nodding. "Of course, once I find some way to check I will make sure that everyone knows about your involvement." There was an amused twinkling in his eyes as he said that. Hah, it wasn't like he could expect to get into one of the Good-Aligned Deities afterlife. Well, maybe he could get one of the Neutral one's to take him? He had never been interested in religion all that much, maybe he should change that sometime.

In the distance, you make out smoke pillars rising from what remains of your village. Down a hill from the tomb on the main road, you spy a group of light cavalry men passing by on horses. Though they look straight at you, they see nothing, not even with the moon shining so bright.

Again Marius felt a strong urge for violence, to shoot a few people with lightning and take their possessions for himself to at least somewhat make up for his loss. But he decided that this wouldn't be a very smart choice. No, it was better to just leave silently instead of starting a ruckus.

So he started walking away, ignoring his nudity which was only covered by illusions.

"So you want to find the refugees. Nearest town is obviously the best place to look...But I have to wonder if they would even find shelter there. The Inquisition has everyone backstabbing each other in fear. Almost as competently as lil' Tene' did." Aya sighs. "And it wouldn't be a very...Welcoming place for us. I expect they may have tried to set p a refugee camp somewhere that'd provide decent shelter off the main roads, which would be hard to track. Unless we can find directions somewhere in town, I suppose."

"Well, assuming you cannot talk with some of the birds and ask them where a group of humans walked to, we will probably have to go with the town." He frowned for a moment in thought. "You cannot talk with birds, can you?" It was a serious question as Marius was never quite sure exactly what sort of limitations Aya had when it came to her supernatural abilities. The texts he had studied on the creatures of other planes often mentioned certain "standard" powers, but also explained that there was commonly some variation or personal abilities.

"Well, whatever else happens, let's do that. Worst case, we grab some wanderer or someone who is collecting mushrooms or something and interrogate them about whether the people of the village came to the town."

Without another word he walked away from the former village, not dropping the illusion spell until they were far enough away that it should not matter any-more.

"Well, assuming you cannot talk with some of the birds and ask them where a group of humans walked to, we will probably have to go with the town." He frowned for a moment in thought. "You cannot talk with birds, can you?" It was a serious question as Marius was never quite sure exactly what sort of limitations Aya had when it came to her supernatural abilities. The texts he had studied on the creatures of other planes often mentioned certain "standard" powers, but also explained that there was commonly some variation or personal abilities.

"Well, whatever else happens, let's do that. Worst case, we grab some wanderer or someone who is collecting mushrooms or something and interrogate them about whether the people of the village came to the town."

Without another word he walked away from the former village, not dropping the illusion spell until they were far enough away that it should not matter any-more.
"Of course I can talk to birds." The Demoness replies dismissively. "Which was a good waste of a decade, let me tell you. Birds are even more incredibly idiotic than most animals, who are even more appallingly stupid than mortals. Present company excluded, of course." She apologizes, waving a taloned hand at you.

"Town it is." She keeps pace with you easily, idly checking her nails as you trudge through the woods. And trudge. And trudge. And trudge some more. Being an evil wizard seems to involve a lot more walking than was originally anticipated, and sharp rocks and thorns would have left your feet a bleeding mess if you were still living. There's a few paths you follow, but for the most part you're hoofing it across rough terrain. Literally, in Aya's case, her goat like feet clacking against the stony path.

"These are not from a mountain goat." She grumbles, sliding down a sheer incline back onto the well worn path. Just over the old bridge down the path, past the haunted mill, across the new bridge and the main river then around the river of rats and you'd be on the road straight to your neighboring town.

"Lucky they put a bridge up here, mortal." Aya giggles, her hooves clacking against the aged wood of the bridge. "I'm not getting my clothes wet in that stream fording it, and you'd be hard to carry across if I just flew o...ver..." She slows, sniffing the air. "Do you smell goa-Oh."

A pair of rather large, furry humanoids suddenly clamber up from beneath the bridge.

"Troll! Toll!" One snarls through broken teeth, slamming what seems to be a (small) tree chunk into the palm of his hand.
"Goat!" A second bellows, pointing a yellowed claw at Aya's hoofs, then at her demonic horns.

Aya blinks, putting her hands on her hips. "How dare you call me that! I am an immortal temptress of the burning hells! I am beauty and menace perfected!" She steps forward, pointing a finger at the trolls. "I am not some bloody anima-"
"ANGRY GOAT!" The first troll howls in fear, smashing her straight through the floor with his club. You hear rather loud cursing from down below, swears so horrific to hear that their sheer vulgarity cause some of the flowers along the stream to wilt. The troll with a tree club hops over the bridge railing, bellowing. "GOAT! GRUFF GOATS BAD, GRUFF GOATS DIE!"

The second troll scratches its head, then looks at you sheepishly. "Troll toll?" It asks.
Hovering silently above the floor, Logren amused himself with manipulating his cloak of shadows to pass the time, dark tendrils reaching out to sketch random arcane patterns in the air. Really, this whole lich thing had been awfully nice. He'd never had the control to do this back when he was alive, much less the firepower he had at his fingertips now. Bless the Lord the Shadows, truly.

At the arrival of the brigand chief, Logren finds himself instinctively straightening up, the lich barely suppressing a reactive bow. A distinctive hair and eye color, an aesthetically pleasing scar and clad in equipment of much better make than her underlings? Oh yes, this was sure to be an Important Person. But so was he too now, wasn't he?

Instead the loremaster inclines his head in a respectful nod before responding. "Hmm, no trouble. Well, not anymore that is. There's a grave thereabouts," Logren says with a vague wave towards where he had come from, "that might need some refilling." Left unsaid was the fact that if some local found the open grave, an alarm was sure to be thrown up, drawing more attention to the region than the brigand clan would probably like.

"But in any case, I find myself with a dire lack of resources and shelter, a most uncomfortable situation as you can imagine. So I repeat myself. What do you say about a trade?"
She motions at the brute with a cleaver, and he takes one of the rookies and disappears into the structures. Not longer after, the two appear once more bearing shovels and disappear out the front door.

"Never heard of a Lich coming out of the grave themself. But then, they say Liches are hard to put down forever." The bandit captain replies, drumming her fingers on her hilt. "A trade..."

She bites her lip, considering. "A trade is doable. You ensorcel my lads' blades and such, and we give you a room to yourself and what...Corpses? Herbs? Lay out a list, and I'll see what I can do. I'd offer paper and parchment, but we've run dry for a while now. And skin and blood are honestly really burning awful for writing."

The remaining rookie in the room takes a nervous step back at her statement. As you consider what to request, you can't help but notice him slowly creeping toward the doorway in as subtly as he can('t).
Gruk considers his options. He couldn't fight an entire mob. Especially if they tried the same trick with them not raising arms against him. It'd be deathly embarrassing to die twice to the same stupid gimmick. He decided to keep running. He was confident he could outrun the Peasant Mob, and if they had cavalry, they'd be disordered and spread out in this forest terrain, good for an ambush. He'd keep running until he lost the pursuers, then consider his options afterwards. Perhaps he could ambush a patrol or two and take their clothes and weapons? After all, trading up from Undead or to a mere bandit was an upgrade in these circumstances!

Realizing he wasn't fully healed, he also keeps a look out for animals he could run down and kill with the spear. Preferably ones that didn't talk and scream when gutted.
You sprint through the dark, your newly (And unnaturally) augmented senses allowed you to easily avoid getting thwacked in the face by any low hanging branches. Though you do sprain your ankle on some roots. Thankfully, a sprained ankle doesn't really hurt any more.

In the darkness, you see the flicker of torches behind you, but they're far, far behind and often isolated. You've got quite a lead, and they're having to comb the entire wood for you.

You were never the best hunter, but you do manage to find some prey. A rabbit, frightened by your approach, tries to bound past, but you manage to get a lucky throw in and pierce it through. Feeling like a hunger's burning in you, you stuff it down your maw. The mess is disgusting, but at least you manage to find some leaves to use as napkins. [Heal 3 HP]. You've also found some deer tracks heading somewhere near, so you could take the opportunity to get a full meal in and recover your strength...Though that may give your pursuers time to catch up.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you hear closing shouts from behind. Turning about, you see the flicker of torches down the beach, and faintly through their illumination, a slick stairway leading up the cliff side. You guess the monks liked to visit the beach on occasion...You'd be surprised at them taking so long to get down to you, but then, the shouts seem to be curses and cries for help. It seems slick stone stairs aren't easy to climb down in a storm. Who'd a thunk?

Oh my!

Her hunger piqued by the meager fishy morsel, Anastasia turned back toward the shore. Her murky eyes lit up with the notes of their cries, but the sting of that hateful golden light was still fresh in her mind. But if these were hurt, hurt bad like she had been by them... Vengeance made a meal all the sweeter.

Or so she assumed.

Unlike her earlier bravado the former singer slunk back toward the shore and did her best to conceal her faintly glowing form in the dark waters. Maybe they were proper monks, or mooks, or even one of those nastier fellows with the flaming swords and whatnot with a broken leg or shattered back. She was relatively sure she could handle one of those, and it'd be more substantial than little fishies. Yes, a nice plump monk, and then she would be away to find a less damp and hostile darkness where she could properly plot and scheme.

"Never heard of a Lich coming out of the grave themself. But then, they say Liches are hard to put down forever." The bandit captain replies, drumming her fingers on her hilt. "A trade..."

She bites her lip, considering. "A trade is doable. You ensorcel my lads' blades and such, and we give you a room to yourself and what...Corpses? Herbs? Lay out a list, and I'll see what I can do. I'd offer paper and parchment, but we've run dry for a while now. And skin and blood are honestly really burning awful for writing."

The remaining rookie in the room takes a nervous step back at her statement. As you consider what to request, you can't help but notice him slowly creeping toward the doorway in as subtly as he can('t).
"We all have to start somewhere," Logren explains with a seemingly careless shrug of his bony shoulders. Admitting that tidbit of weakness was perhaps not the best choice here, but the lich felt it better he announce that now rather than get accused of falsely presenting himself later. He had never been the best at bluffing, and the facade of confidence and experience he was presenting was bound to fail eventually. Probably at the worst possible opportunity.

Logren gives an affirmative nod at the rest of the bandit chief's words before speaking again. "Yes, corpses will do. Though no hurry, as I'm quite the patient man," the lich says with a dark chuckle aimed at the nervous rookie. "Alchemical ingredients, magical knickknacks, coin, I'll accept any of it for my services." Pausing, Logren snaps his fingers in a bony clatter as the thought strikes him before directing a fanatical look at the woman.

"And books. I want all the books you find, yes?" the former loremaster declares, the tone of his voice brooking no argument. He might have lost his precious library (damn those paladins) but there was nothing to stop him from starting a new one. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step and such forth after all.

For a moment Marius pondered on whether it was wise to shoot lightning at the trolls. It would feel very nice, especially given how one of them had blasted his best friend through a new hole in the bridge. But he didn't like his chances in such a fight. Sure, he probably could kill them with some hits, but one hit from them and he would probably be a broken mess of bones or whatever shadow stuff he was made off now.

And if he did manage to defeat both of them while only ending up badly crippled, he would need to heal first. Which would slow him down and mean the journey to search for the villagers would be slowed down a lot.....

No... maybe...

"Toll... toll" The wizard hummed to himself loud enough to be heard by the two trolls. Were they mixing him up with a troll or was that just their way of speaking and saying troll all the time? Argh... well there would be no harm in using a simplified speech... "Jup, give troll toll." You hold up a hand in a pausing motion. "Wait! Gotta get toll..." Yup, then he turned around and kneeled down on the bridge, making sure for his hands to stay out of the sight of the trolls...

Alright, grab some pebbles lying around for a fake mass, then apply some illusion magic to make them look like some moderately shiny coins. Hmmm... jup that should work.

He turned around smiling and held out the "money" and dropped it into the hand of the Troll.

"Jup jup, shiny toll." He nodded to himself as he spoke. "You seen humies? Lots, lots humies?" He decided to ask for a moment, before stepping past the two trolls and only barely listening to their answer. Even if they had seen the villager, he doubted they would tell him much.

Hmmmm... maybe he should set the bridge on fire and run? Nah, too much trouble and risking the trolls coming after them.

"Gotta get goatie." The wizard said apologetically. Then he walked fully past the trolls and did a quick walk towards the demon, grabbed her by one of her clawed hands and tried to get her to leave, preferably without her demanding revenge.

OOC: Hope this works, just tell me if something doesn't.

You were never the best hunter, but you do manage to find some prey. A rabbit, frightened by your approach, tries to bound past, but you manage to get a lucky throw in and pierce it through. Feeling like a hunger's burning in you, you stuff it down your maw. The mess is disgusting, but at least you manage to find some leaves to use as napkins. [Heal 3 HP]. You've also found some deer tracks heading somewhere near, so you could take the opportunity to get a full meal in and recover your strength...Though that may give your pursuers time to catch up.

Gruk goes after the Deer, his stomach aching still with hunger for more raw meat. A risk perhaps-but a calculated one. He had the advantage of being able to see the pursuers torches in the distance, and in this forest terrain and their likely poor vision they had a much lesser opportunity to spot him. And then, after he had refilled his stomach he could disappear deeper into the forest and lose them.

His instincts-both those of a Warrior and an Orc screamed for him to turn around and counter attack. Slaughter those that opposed him instead of this sneaking about, but he clamped down on it. He would not be another orc slaughtered in a mindless charge. He would much rather live to become instead an object of fear.

As he followed the tracks, a thought struck him. Fate seemed to have it out for him, so right now would probably be the moment he ran right into a hunting party, of the kind that hunted dear, not undead Knights. He'd have to watch behind and in front of him.

The wave of darkness floods over the field, drowning out the lights of torches and even of the blazing inferno below you. For a moment, all is blackness. Cries of shock, alarm, and pain echo after you as you try to flee.

"My leg!"
"Get off of me you oaf!"
"She'll murder us all in the dark!"
"My kidney!"
"Oh Gods, she's right behind me!" *twang*
"Ow! Watch it! You almost shot me!"
"Ah! It's Agatha!"
"My nose! You just hit me in the face with your bloody crossbow you idiot!"

Frantic crossbow bolts and javelins fly every which way in the darkness. Most miss by a mile. Most. A single, incredibly lucky javelin smacks you right in the back, and your previously dignified fall to the ground turns into a terribly undignified faceplant (-3 HP, maimed). After a few moments of trying to figure out how to extract a javelin from your spine, you only manage to snap off the end. With a rather painful chunk still buried in your spine, you shamble forward in an awkward gait toward the forest's edge.

Behind you, you hear old Imperial chants. And then golden flames blaze through the darkness. You turn, to see the dragon emblems upon the Templars' armor blazing, golden light spraying forth from the end of their blades like a drake's breath. It isn't enough to quench your magically called darkness, but it is enough for them to see by.

"She's not above the pyre!"
"Dragon's breath, she's running for it! Get her!" The two Templars move, sprinting in your general direction along with the very few men-at-arms not busy toppled atop each other or cowering in fear. A few crossbow bolts whizz by you, only to plink into the dirt harmlessly as you make it into the wood. You have a good, strong headstart over the two Templar, and they keep tripping over roots, where you can see surprisingly well for everything being dark. Unfortunately, the Templars have one advantage you don't. Cardio.

Just improper. Don't they know plate armor is supposed to slow them to a turtle like crawl? A stray thought bubbles in your mind, along with the curious smell of salt, butter, and a weird crunching noise. Shaking it off, you narrowly dodge a sword blow at head height.
"Come here granny! This'll be over quick!" The female Templar shouts, stabbing at your torso, but your narrowly manage to stumble out of the way, her blazing sword chopping deep into an innocent tree instead and setting it on fire. She curses, prying the blade out of the wood while you try to make some more distance. You fail, and a blow cuts into your calf. You stumble, smacking off a tree, turning to see the silver armor of the Templar gleaming bright in the light of his burning blade.

"Die!" He bellows, bringing the blade up for a double-handed swing. And then an arrow pings off his helmet. "What the-?" He asks, turning as a second arrow glances off a pauldron and embeds itself in a tree behind me. "Hey! Cut that out!" He shouts, a third arrow splintering into a hundred pieces on his breastplate. "Come the hell on, do you know how hard it is to buff scratches out of this armor you prick?" He screeches, a forth arrow snapping against a knee plate. "It's useless, stop shooting me already!" He shouts, a fifth arrow just straight up missing him and landing on the other side of him, making a loud snap. He glances toward it instinctively, and you take the momentary distraction to scramble into the undergrowth.

An armored gauntlet wraps around your foot, the female Templar snarling. "Not so fast, you murder-" She begins, before an arrow strikes her right in the hand. The arrowhead flattens, the wooden shaft snapping in twain, but the blow knocks her grip loose for a moment. Crawling under a thorn thicket, you manage to drag yourself to freedom on the other side as angry shouts and hacking noises echo from behind you. You don't stick around, quickly making some distance.

As soon as you have some breathing room, you lean yourself against an ancient great oak. You're filth ridden, your skin is rotting, you have a javelin bit stuck in you, your calf looks like a butcher tore into it, and your back is torn up by thorns. But you've survived, for now at least. You can still hear the Templars and their minions stamping about in the woods

First things first:

Agatha silently offered a prayer to the Grandmother, thanking her for deliverance from the iniquitous and the vile promising that said bringers of vileness and iniquity would receive a just retribution, involving branding irons and spikes.

Right then. Thanks offered, what next? She had the Lady's guidance and blessings, herself, a dirty robe, and the chunk of javelin stuck inside her. For a moment she considered trying to rip it out...no, one had to be realistic.

If the Templars caught up to her, half a javelin wasn't going to make a difference one way or the other. Instead, she whispers the words for two invocations of the lady's power: the first to muffle any sounds she might make, a spell intended to aid in checking on sleeping children in the night without waking them, but which she had found equally usefully for ambushing heretics...and, after a moment's hesitation, a healing mantra, to restore broken flesh and bone. She knows Lady Nightsong is with her, so surely...?

With those steps taken, she begins to crawl, still on her hands and knees, moving away from the sounds of the heretic search party.

OOC: Apologies for the lateness, I was busy contending with finals.
"Oh, that's a...A uh, very excellent title, your lordship." Your new squire says blankly, staring at you. "Uhm. What's it mean?"
"It means," Tarkus sighed, "that I have my work cut out for me."
Your march, thankfully, faces little trouble and you make good time. You were tireless as a mortal, and now, you're all but inexhaustible. Your new mortal companion, however, is soon left gasping for breath by the tempo you set, and you're forced to stop for him repeatedly. You also have to keep telling him to leave corpses alone, as almost anything shiny distracts him. Almost as bad as a magpie...
Or a Dragon.

"You hear something, m'lord?" The man asks as you glance about. With a shake of your head, you continue on, doubling back around the battlefield. You don't see any more crazy elves around, which is certainly a blessing. Unfortunately however, your hike would not be left in peace forever. Howls rise in the distance.

"Wolves. The big, black ones." Jacobs explains casually. "The ones from that Dark Lord fella's kennels? Musta gotten loose when he up an' died an' all. But it's nothin' to worry 'bout. They mostly scavenge on the dead, an' lone living folks. And we're two!" He says with a gormless smile. Yet, the howls only come closer and closer. You can see several of the huge, black furred beasts crossing a hill in the distance. Maybe Jacobs right and they'll mostly leave you alone, or at least only come in numbers small enough for you to handle. Or maybe you should seek the questionable safety of the cave tunnels, though this risks being devoured by something far more frightening than a few black hounds.
Tarkus raised an eyebrow and looked back from himself and Jacobs. "Right. Two. Living folks. Okay."

While he was growing increasingly dubious that they were actually safe from the wolves, he didn't think it quite justified yet to run down the nearest hole they could find. For one thing he didn't have the faintest of ideas where it would actually lead, and for another with the way his luck was going there would be a hydra or something equally unpleasant sleeping down below. Just too much of a dice roll, and he never ever bet any serious money on dice.

With that said, his steps not-so-subtly got quicker. The howls were getting closer.

Gruk goes after the Deer, his stomach aching still with hunger for more raw meat. A risk perhaps-but a calculated one. He had the advantage of being able to see the pursuers torches in the distance, and in this forest terrain and their likely poor vision they had a much lesser opportunity to spot him. And then, after he had refilled his stomach he could disappear deeper into the forest and lose them.

His instincts-both those of a Warrior and an Orc screamed for him to turn around and counter attack. Slaughter those that opposed him instead of this sneaking about, but he clamped down on it. He would not be another orc slaughtered in a mindless charge. He would much rather live to become instead an object of fear.

As he followed the tracks, a thought struck him. Fate seemed to have it out for him, so right now would probably be the moment he ran right into a hunting party, of the kind that hunted dear, not undead Knights. He'd have to watch behind and in front of him.
Very, very carefully you stalk along the trail, expecting a band of huntsmen to pop out of nowhere at any moment!
Fortunately, none do, and nobody sees you stabbing your spear out at wild night critters like a fool. You suppose the middle of the night isn't the best time for a hunt. It may also be considered poaching to hunt deer and thus punishable by getting a hand cut off in quite an excessive manner, though you're not sure if this is royal or ducal land-whatever the case, you manage to find a deer nestling soundly in her little den in the forest. It sleeps soundly, its majestic form glowing softly in the rays of moonlight, and for a moment you are filled with wonder at the beauty of such a peaceful animal in its native habitat.

Which you swiftly shake off before stalking up over to it with spear held high. Then- branch snaps beneath your heavy feet, and the deer is on its hooves and bolting in an instant. You dash at it, crashing through the bushes as it tries to scramble up a hill away from you. It kicks you once, but you laugh it off and slam the spear home. Once it slumps, you dig into a delicious feast. (Heal 5 health)

It isn't long through until the shouts draw close. They must have heard your little escapade, and are coming near. Still got a lot of deer left though, and it'd be quite a waste to just leave it behind.
Oh my!

Her hunger piqued by the meager fishy morsel, Anastasia turned back toward the shore. Her murky eyes lit up with the notes of their cries, but the sting of that hateful golden light was still fresh in her mind. But if these were hurt, hurt bad like she had been by them... Vengeance made a meal all the sweeter.

Or so she assumed.

Unlike her earlier bravado the former singer slunk back toward the shore and did her best to conceal her faintly glowing form in the dark waters. Maybe they were proper monks, or mooks, or even one of those nastier fellows with the flaming swords and whatnot with a broken leg or shattered back. She was relatively sure she could handle one of those, and it'd be more substantial than little fishies. Yes, a nice plump monk, and then she would be away to find a less damp and hostile darkness where she could properly plot and scheme.
Unfortunately, what comes down the staircase is no lone, easily picked off mook for you to devour, but rather several very annoyed and soaked knights clutching onto the jagged edges of the cliff-face for support.

"When this is over, I'm making railings mandatory on all perilous staircases and walkways!" One knight tries to shout over the storm.
"What! I can't hear anything with this wax in me ea-GAH!" A second knight shouts before slamming into the ground with a metallic thud.
"Watch your footing! The rocks are slick, and the she-devil only needs one chance!" The all too familiar voice of your slayer echoes from the lead knight, who brandishes a torch at the darkness before him. They can't see far into the storm, it seems.
"It means," Tarkus sighed, "that I have my work cut out for me."

Tarkus raised an eyebrow and looked back from himself and Jacobs. "Right. Two. Living folks. Okay."

While he was growing increasingly dubious that they were actually safe from the wolves, he didn't think it quite justified yet to run down the nearest hole they could find. For one thing he didn't have the faintest of ideas where it would actually lead, and for another with the way his luck was going there would be a hydra or something equally unpleasant sleeping down below. Just too much of a dice roll, and he never ever bet any serious money on dice.

With that said, his steps not-so-subtly got quicker. The howls were getting closer.
You manage to make ground quickly, your undead nature and natural endurance keeping you from tiring, and your strength allowing you to carry your squire when he's run ragged by the pace you set. Unfortunately, the wolves are dogged (heh) in their pursuit. And a pursuit it is, as they slowly but surely encroach upon you.

And when it rains it pours. Literally. With a crack of thunder, the skies open up into a downpour. Your new squire trudges along with nary a complaint, whistling a noxiously cheerful tune as you press on through the mud. Though the howls echo through the storm, for a few brief minutes you begin to think they've lost your scent in the downpour. Then, with an ominous crack lightning flashes to reveal before you...

...A single black wolf, its ribs visible through its mud covered fur. It snarls at you fiercely, showing off dagger like teeth, and then it pauses, as though confused. It glances back, barks twice, and a pair of additional black hounds come stumbling out of the darkness, looking wet and miserable. They shape up lively though as soon as they see you, drooling at the mouth and snarling with hunger.

Jacobs wrings out a hat as he looks at them. "'ell, uh, I guess they be a bit hungrier than normal's like milord. Ehehe...sorry 'bout that..."
Or normal undead aren't very good at not getting eaten.

Additional howls, all too close, echo from behind as you take in the situation. Three wolves isn't a lot, but if you take too long getting through, more could hit you from behind. Glancing to your side you make out a raised mound of stones that'd serve as a good improvised shelter-both from hungry wolves and the storm. But it comes at the price of having to survive the rest of the night.
"We all have to start somewhere," Logren explains with a seemingly careless shrug of his bony shoulders. Admitting that tidbit of weakness was perhaps not the best choice here, but the lich felt it better he announce that now rather than get accused of falsely presenting himself later. He had never been the best at bluffing, and the facade of confidence and experience he was presenting was bound to fail eventually. Probably at the worst possible opportunity.

Logren gives an affirmative nod at the rest of the bandit chief's words before speaking again. "Yes, corpses will do. Though no hurry, as I'm quite the patient man," the lich says with a dark chuckle aimed at the nervous rookie. "Alchemical ingredients, magical knickknacks, coin, I'll accept any of it for my services." Pausing, Logren snaps his fingers in a bony clatter as the thought strikes him before directing a fanatical look at the woman.

"And books. I want all the books you find, yes?" the former loremaster declares, the tone of his voice brooking no argument. He might have lost his precious library (damn those paladins) but there was nothing to stop him from starting a new one. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step and such forth after all.
"All the books?" The bandit captain asks, quirking an eyebrow. "If you're sure about that...By all means." She says, grabbing the rookie by the collar just as he tries to bolt out of the room. "Go prepare a room for our...Guest." She whispers in his ear before letting him go. He turns to run, twists about, salutes, then turns once more and disappears through the doorway.

"Amateurs. Ahhh...I miss the good ol' days of bandit kings and proper highwaymen." The captain sighs, before waving a leather clad hand at you. "Let me give me the tour, mister Lich. I'll get a contract written up on the morrow for us to sign. Guilds like everything in triplicate, you know how it is."

Her camp is of decent size. A few dozen poorly equipped and trained bandits living in hide tents and converted rooms. You see left overs from previous owners gathering dust in the corners-Orcish tribal fetishes, a broken chest full of skull emblem covered robes, the usual. The bandits are well settled though, with several cunning traps and rehearsed ambushes, cooking pits and supply bins. The treasure is within the bandit chieftain's room, and she's got the doors trapped. One of the bandits has even started using the old robes to knit into blankets. All very early adventurer grade stuff to deal with, but still, decently well run.

The stairs to the lower levels are barred shut.

"It was like that when we got here. Lads I sent to check it for loot never came back." The captain says with a shrug before showing you to your room, a dusty abandoned guest bedroom in the broken remains of a tower. The rags on the bed have been covered by hides, as have the threadbare carpets. The worst of the mold on the wall's been chipped away, and the table looks serviceable beside a hole on the back right. A candle-stick's been left on the table, and there's an unlit fireplace by a book case in the corner. The books themselves are illegible ruins, save for one tawdry tale involving children's tales, but the book case itself is sturdy enough.
First things first:

Agatha silently offered a prayer to the Grandmother, thanking her for deliverance from the iniquitous and the vile promising that said bringers of vileness and iniquity would receive a just retribution, involving branding irons and spikes.

Right then. Thanks offered, what next? She had the Lady's guidance and blessings, herself, a dirty robe, and the chunk of javelin stuck inside her. For a moment she considered trying to rip it out...no, one had to be realistic.

If the Templars caught up to her, half a javelin wasn't going to make a difference one way or the other. Instead, she whispers the words for two invocations of the lady's power: the first to muffle any sounds she might make, a spell intended to aid in checking on sleeping children in the night without waking them, but which she had found equally usefully for ambushing heretics...and, after a moment's hesitation, a healing mantra, to restore broken flesh and bone. She knows Lady Nightsong is with her, so surely...?

With those steps taken, she begins to crawl, still on her hands and knees, moving away from the sounds of the heretic search party.
You focus inward, channeling a healing spell. The energies of the healing miracle wrap around you and-OUCH. It stings like getting a million bandages ripped off at once! Or being set on fire. Possibly having alcohol poured onto an open wound to disinfect it. You grit your teeth against the pain and persevere at a horrid burning sensation, ceasing to move as you focus it as much as you can in on yourself, praying harder and harder.

Finally, you stop. You smell like burnt meat, but it does seem like a few minor wounds closed up (+2 HP). But it seems that your undead body doesn't react to healing magic like a living person's does. You can certainly still heal, but it'll be a great deal more difficult-and painful-than a mortal's would be.

Still, you stp onward, your magic quieting the worst of the branches snapping beneath your feet and bushes rustling in your path. You're still loud, but luckily the knights are too busy shouting abuse to hear you. Eventually, you leave their shouts far behind and reach the edge of the forest. In the distance, the horizon is just starting to lighten, illuminating a village you've not seen before.

For a moment Marius pondered on whether it was wise to shoot lightning at the trolls. It would feel very nice, especially given how one of them had blasted his best friend through a new hole in the bridge. But he didn't like his chances in such a fight. Sure, he probably could kill them with some hits, but one hit from them and he would probably be a broken mess of bones or whatever shadow stuff he was made off now.

And if he did manage to defeat both of them while only ending up badly crippled, he would need to heal first. Which would slow him down and mean the journey to search for the villagers would be slowed down a lot.....

No... maybe...

"Toll... toll" The wizard hummed to himself loud enough to be heard by the two trolls. Were they mixing him up with a troll or was that just their way of speaking and saying troll all the time? Argh... well there would be no harm in using a simplified speech... "Jup, give troll toll." You hold up a hand in a pausing motion. "Wait! Gotta get toll..." Yup, then he turned around and kneeled down on the bridge, making sure for his hands to stay out of the sight of the trolls...

Alright, grab some pebbles lying around for a fake mass, then apply some illusion magic to make them look like some moderately shiny coins. Hmmm... jup that should work.

He turned around smiling and held out the "money" and dropped it into the hand of the Troll.

"Jup jup, shiny toll." He nodded to himself as he spoke. "You seen humies? Lots, lots humies?" He decided to ask for a moment, before stepping past the two trolls and only barely listening to their answer. Even if they had seen the villager, he doubted they would tell him much.

Hmmmm... maybe he should set the bridge on fire and run? Nah, too much trouble and risking the trolls coming after them.

"Gotta get goatie." The wizard said apologetically. Then he walked fully past the trolls and did a quick walk towards the demon, grabbed her by one of her clawed hands and tried to get her to leave, preferably without her demanding revenge.

OOC: Hope this works, just tell me if something doesn't.
"Jup?" The Troll asks, cocking its shaggy head at you. But it shrugs, taking the money into hand. "Shiny gold. Troll toll tolled." It waves you forward, then winces at the sound of the loud cursing and crashing noises under the bridge. You use the moment's distraction to sneak toward the underbridge.

Aya, her body burning with scarlet flame, brandishes her claws at the troll under the bridge.

"You stupid, imbecile of a beast! YOU! CHIPPED! A! NAAAAAAAAAIIIIL!"

The troll takes an involuntary step back as you look around. There's a number of bones, pieces of detritus and fresh carcasses scattered around beneath the bridge, including several dead goats, the missing sheep from the Millers' household, what appears to be a faun (Rare seeing those!) and some sort of wagon...Oh. So that's what happened to Gerald the Gallivanting Goat Trader. Poor fella always did insist barter was superior to coin...

*crash*

"Gruff goat know troll one weakness! Fire!" The troll bellows as Aya extracts herself out of the succubus shaped hole in the ground. "But troll ready for gruff goat trick! Revenge!" It bellows, swiping at the succubus with its massive club. In an impressive (and painful) looking feat of flexibility, Aya bends backwards to a practical horizontal position, the massive club flying past her body to crash into the side of the stone bridge support. There's a hefty crack and the club snaps in two as cracks run up the support's side, but thankfully, it holds.

"I am not a goat, damn it all! And now you burn-" Aya begins before you calmly grab her by the hand and start dragging her away. She blinks, too surprised to resist. "Are we holding hands right now? Why are we holding hands? This isn't the time for a romantic walk, mortal! Wait, wait, are you trying to interrupt me burning that stupid thing to death by being disgustingly vanilla?"

You manage to get past the top of the hill when the the succubus recovers from her surprise and rips her hand from your grip. "I'm going to go and burn that thing!" She around as the troll that was bashing her emerges from below, having borrowed part of Gerald's wagon for a new club. On top of the bridge, you see the other troll watching with a mixture of confusion, horror, and amusement before it shakes its head and bites down on one of the gold coins you illusioned.

Given the look on its face, it wasn't very pleased by what it found. "Fake! Troll toll trick!"

(Rolled a botch on the illusion...Bad luck kicking in once more)

Last edited:
"Amateurs. Ahhh...I miss the good ol' days of bandit kings and proper highwaymen." The captain sighs, before waving a leather clad hand at you. "Let me give me the tour, mister Lich. I'll get a contract written up on the morrow for us to sign. Guilds like everything in triplicate, you know how it is."

The stairs to the lower levels are barred shut.

"It was like that when we got here. Lads I sent to check it for loot never came back." The captain says with a shrug before showing you to your room, a dusty abandoned guest bedroom in the broken remains of a tower. The rags on the bed have been covered by hides, as have the threadbare carpets. The worst of the mold on the wall's been chipped away, and the table looks serviceable beside a hole on the back right. A candle-stick's been left on the table, and there's an unlit fireplace by a book case in the corner. The books themselves are illegible ruins, save for one tawdry tale involving children's tales, but the book case itself is sturdy enough.
Excellent, most excellent! It was always such a delight to work with someone competent and who made sure all the correct paperwork was filled out. Very important that. Logren couldn't count the number of times he had seen some wannabe warlord rise up, only for everything to fall apart because of the blackguards revolting over a payroll error and all the warlocks quitting because their vacation days weren't correctly assigned.

Those lower levels though. As interesting as it might be, there was no way in the name of the Lord of Shadows he was going to go down there. Well, not without an entire cohort of undead to send ahead of him at least. A convenient enough goal for the near future.

"Hmmm, yes. This will do," Logren declares to the bandit captain after reaching his new quarters. Perhaps after a bit of cleaning and fix it work though. Household charms were such useful things in keeping a library in the proper condition. The bookcase wasn't quite the same as the lacquered ebon bloodwood that the Dark Library had either, but it'd suffice for now. Tenderly running a bony digit down the spine of the children's book, Logren smiles. Not the most auspicious start to his new collection, but it'd do.

Snapping his fingers, the loremaster then turns to face the bandit chief. "Ah, but where are my manners? I never did ask for your name now, did I?"

"Watch your footing! The rocks are slick, and the she-devil only needs one chance!" The all too familiar voice of your slayer echoes from the lead knight, who brandishes a torch at the darkness before him. They can't see far into the storm, it seems.

Fuck. That. Racket.

Anastasia blushed an unholy shade of turquoise at her unladylike thoughts, but they were right. She'd no idea what she could do or how she could do it and they'd already gone from blades to golden light to wax stuffed ears. Having fallen for what seemed to be Hell-sent opportunity earlier it was time for discretion.

The banshee dipped beneath the waves and scrambled along on all fours like a crab away from the little search party. She'd return, someday. Not today. Not tomorrow. Probably not next week either, and she'd need new dresses... there had to be tailors that worked in ectoplasm somewhere.

And she would find them.

And she would be glorious.

Back