Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
So I take it Qiyi has her first crush, good for them, good for them, as others have stated I wish her success in calming Liming's temper.

On an unrelated note I'm surprised Ling Qi didn't introduce Zhengui to the newest member of the family, unless we're waiting until she's fully awake and has all her initial Concepts sorted out.
She says 'hi sis' and you interpret that as 'first crush?' Why? Given how different object spirits can be I'm not going to say that's impossible (even if I'd like to), but there's so little evidence right now I'd like to diagnose you with one of the most unfortunate cases of shipping goggles I've ever seen.

haven't read that much Xianxia isn't the phrase "Pretty Sister" the Xianxia equivalent of calling someone "Hot Stuff"or, I suppose if it were intended platonically "Cutie"?

just found it amusing that Qiyi's first words to Liming (and first line of dialogue to someone other than Ling Qi) were calling someone HotCute.

edit:got it, again this was the first Xianxia I ever read and I too hope Qiyi is a positive influence on Liming

Last edited:
Qiyi is the cutest, move over Biyu and Qiu there is a new excitable toddler on the block!

And yeah considering that Qiyi has awakened in large part because she has a thread from liming it's clear she sees liming as family. She called her pretty the same way Biyu called Qi pretty when they first met.

I hope Qiyi becomes liming's first real friend!

haven't read that much Xianxia isn't the phrase "Pretty Sister" the Xianxia equivalent of calling someone "Hot Stuff"or, I suppose if it were intended platonically "Cutie"?

just found it amusing that Qiyi's first words to Liming (and first line of dialogue to someone other than Ling Qi) were calling someone Hot.

It read a lot more like this to me:
Ling Qi reluctantly released her Mother's hand, in favor of lowering herself into a crouch to meet the younger girl eye to eye. "Hello Little Sister, I'm sorry we haven't met before," she said lightly, briefly glancing back up to meet her Mother's eyes. There was more than one layer to that apology.

Biyu blinked shuffling a step away from Mother to look at her more closely, her lips turning down in a childish frown. "Pretty Sister," she said proclaiming her judgement. "Will Biyu sparkle?"
than a young master hitting on a girl by calling her a fairy or something. Does Biyu have a crush on Ling Qi? The relative ages, sibling relationship with complications, and even the relative harshness/innocence of their life experiences all match up pretty much exactly the same in these two relationships.

Well Liming is a lot more feral than Ling Qi ever was by a lot, but it still matches well.

Can't believe I forgot about Ling Qi's first meeting with Biyu. (clearly I must do another reread after finishing my read through on Royal Road)

Still I can't wait for Qiyi to be formally introduced to the rest of the Ling family (including now that I think about it her adopted sister as well).

Last edited:
Speaking of Biyu... there's been some discussion of Seasonal theming among our spirits and allies... but maybe there's a different angle here.

LQ's focus is Winter but she's also renewal (Spring-ish), she's also battening down the hatches (Fall-ish)... LQ's whole spectrum is really more like a Late Fall -> Early Spring rather than just Winter itself.

IIRC there was roll for Biyu's talent and it was high. If she keeps on her current trajectory and cultivates painting/joy, she might turn into the perfect compliment to LQ, representing bounty, where LQ represents privation.

To me, that seems a whole lot more narratively satisfying than our spirits or allies taking up seasonal positions in our fife. And it would dovetail really nicely into the idea of LQ paving the way for the rest of her family to have better things than she did. And I kind of love the idea of two sisters each representing opposite sides of the year and opposing concepts but not as rivals or enemies but as loving siblings.

As I recall it part of Qiyi's essence comes from a strand of Liming, given right after LQ agreed to follow CRX. So I see it more as kinship rather than romantic affection especially given that Qiyi just awoke.

"She is quite beautiful, but is that not a little…" Lin Hai said, trailing off rubbing his forehead.

There was a rough sandpapery rasping sound, and Shu Yue's shoulders shook.
Shu Yue respects the puns.

Hi! Pretty Sister!

Even Ling Qi felt Liming's guttural growling response. The hateful anger still tasted like ash and blood on her tongue.

She felt Qiyi shrink and contract around her uncomfortable, hurt and confusion wafting from the silk.

Liming's staring eyespots felt like they were fixed on her… or perhaps Qiyi, and the ugly sensation broke up into something muddled and sullen.
Qiyi is such a sweetheart.

"A vent of the pressure wrought by bringing these closer to the surface," Meng Duyi said, stroking his beard. "If these men had tried this without a spirit lord you would have set the land itself alight, or at least sent this hill into the sky."

The men around Zhengui shuffled their feet nervously, but a rather elderly second realm bowed low. "Though this one is classically educated, he was greatly enlightened by the young master. Sir Zhengui's insight is keen."

Zhengui, both halves of him, preened under the praise.

Meng Duyi's expression was bemused. "This one can hardly be called familiar with constructions of fire qi, so this shall be a time of learning for myself as well."

Humble. Self Deprecatingly so. He was only a step below sovereign, if he did not know every type of qi like the back of her hand, she would be shocked.
Meng Duyi is a really cool old dude.

I'm just gonna presume the Qi in Qiyi is written with the same character as Ling Qi's personal name, both because it's cute and Ling Qi can't help herself from adding an additional pun layer no one she just speaks the name to could detect

Back