The Thrilling Adventures of Kaleido Garnet [F/GO, Prisma Illya]

I never thought about how Kaleidosticks could Install alt versions of yourself on you. That's quite neat! Ritsuka needs to grab a mage copy of himself next.

It's very literally the original purpose that we see Ruby being used for back in Hollow Ataraxia - it turns out that Rin as a child had a phase where wanted to be an idol singer and tried to use Ruby to get the skills needed.

Needless to say, she found the entire incident extremely embarrassing in retrospect, leading to Ruby being locked away in her attic until one scene in Hollow Ataraxia.

That a sus answering machine. Found in an antique shop, hmmm?

Don't worry, I think we're good until it starts flashing red and calling Ritsuka 'senpai'. Although come to think of it, trapping BB in an answering machine Good Omens-style would be one way of dealing with her...

Ritsuka needs to grab a mage copy of himself next.

That'd be an interesting case, actually - I'm pretty sure that a first generation magus Ritsuka wouldn't have any more magic circuits, and they probably wouldn't be transported via Prism Trance anyway. All that would come across would be the skills and knowledge, which might actually be counter-productive since the best way this Ritsuka has of doing magic is always going to be by just brute-forcing it with Ruby. But it might be a good way to jumpstart his theoretical knowledge. Or at least a way of working through these English-language mage textbooks people keep throwing at him.

On another note, now seems as good a place as any to mention that I'll be without internet from the start of next week for the entirety of the rest of April. I might get another chapter out by then (of A Poisoned Chalice, not this), but if not, I will try to write throughout the month. No promises, because I'm looking down the barrel of 18-hour days for at least three weeks straight. Life in a blue one...

Actually, FGO Ritsuka is a pretty likely connect. He was taught a bunch about tactics and strategy, and there aren't many nearby alternates where people learn how to apply that stuff to irl individual super powered combat.

Now, I'm not a model - I don't know what the opposite of a model is, but I'm the opposite - but I'm pretty sure there's at least a little bit of skill involved in wearing whatever clothes are given you just so, how to move and pose and generally display yourself with confidence. A vital skill for all Magical Boys, I'm sure you'll agree.

Also those tight tight glutes and abs don't hurt either

Presentation is vital for a magical boy after all.

Seeing a use of the Kaleido Sticks is always neat. The skill transfer is one of the most fascinating ones to me.

And glad to see Ritsuka have some success, though he still needs to master it

I wonder if Ritsuka will turn something into a Noble Phantasm with Enchant.

Sorry to hear that you'll be out of wifi. Best wishes there

Wait can't Ritsuka just have Ruby give him a copy of some version of him who's a first rate magus skill at magecraft? Or the ability to walk and breath/use his entire body as a magic circuit? Maybe find out about walking and breathing from the magus skill?

Granted those would both be significant upgrades especially the walking and breathing since it would overcome his biggest problem with being a magical boy still makes sense for it to be possible. Hope it happens even if the ability is nerfed compared to what I think it could be opens up more possibilities even if it'll only happen if it's appropriate for the story/the author wants to.

Last edited:
Targeting a mage with magic is harder. Also, first class mage almost always means amoral and motivated. And if he can figure out how to take over/modify Ritsuka (self hypnosis, anyone?) a kaleidostick is quite the reward.

Chapter 12 - In which basically nothing is achieved
Once upon a time…

Once upon a time there was a man. And a horse, although the horse isn't that important – not to say it's not a nice horse, it's a lovely horse in fact, every bit the horse among horses that the man was among men. It's just, you know, history is a very human-centric thing, so horses have to be really exceptional indeed to even get a look in, and being mentioned in the same breath as the man is a fantastic achievement when you think of it that way. But the horse isn't important. We're not talking about the horse.

Anyway, this man was the sort of man who was really quite good at hitting other men very hard with sticks, and since he lived in the sort of time when that sort of thing was very highly valued, he became a general, and swore himself to serve another man. All was well, until the man was struck by a thought:

Why was he following this other man, who was so much weaker than him?

Things rather went downhill from there. The man betrayed the other man, for a start, but because of how good he was at hitting other men with sticks (so good, you guys), he was kept around by the men who'd told him to hit that other man. Until of course the man wondered why he was following these other men, and the whole wretched business started all over again.

Eventually the man became a warlord, which is like a general except you never stop, and eventually he was captured by one of the men who would have liked to have him for a follower earlier. It would have been poetic justice if he himself had been hit by men with sticks until he was dead, but instead he was hanged.

The morals of the story are these:

First, don't waste time talking about horses when you have a really interesting story to tell and have to squeeze the whole thing into four measly paragraphs and leave out all the cool detail.

And second, some men just have no sense of drama.

THE THRILLING ADVENTURES OF KALEIDO GARNET

Chapter Twelve – In which basically nothing is achieved​

When a man was tired of London, he was tired of life. So said Samuel Johnson, and that guy basically invented, like, words, so you know he was a real party animal. Ritsuka had his own take, which went along the lines of 'when a man is tired of London, he is tired of constant rain, a low-level stink that gets into your clothes, and being surrounded by the English'. He thought it was a lot more instructive, and according to Waver his slowly growing hatred of his adopted city was a sign of a true Londoner in any case.

That said, Ritsuka's optimism shone through, like a lovely statue that couldn't quite be covered in pigeon droppings, and he generally enjoyed himself. He liked spending time exploring the city with Mash, on what definitely weren't dates no matter what Ruby said, and he liked how every part had its own character.

Some places, though, he was quite happy to never set foot in.

"Ah, man," he said, when the co-ordinates for the newest Card came through. "Well, this is awkward."

"What is it?" asked Mash.

Ritsuka pointed at the map, right between Soho (where one could, if so inclined and of the right age, purchase a round of drinks for only slightly more than seventy pounds) and Covent Garden (where interesting tourists from all around the world kindly placed themselves within six inches of your face so you could meet them).

"That," he said, with the air of a wizard announcing where he must regretfully send his hobbit friends, "is Chinatown."

Throughout his apartment, there was a confused silence. "Yes?" said Mash. "I've always wanted to go there, actually. It's so colourful!"

"Right, agreed, but… well, I'm not Chinese, if you catch my meaning."

Again, a silence, confused in nature. "I'm actually not either, senpai," Mash said, as though revealing a great secret. "I don't think there's, like, an entrance requirement, though…"

"Right, there's not, but there's not being Chinese, and there's… being Japanese, not to put too fine a point on it." It wasn't something Ritsuka liked to talk about, the cultural awkwardness was just too much. "Can we, you know, enter the Mirror World somewhere else? I just think it'd draw less attention to ourselves."

Ruby made some suspicious-sounding beeps and boops. "Sorry, Master, looks like this Mirror World Pocket is only large enough to cover Chinatown."

"Of course it is."

"It is! What, are you embarrassed? You'll just have to get over yourself. Honestly, compared to what Sapphire does to Mash on a daily basis this is nothing!"

Ritsuka sighed, and gave up. No use arguing with the sticks, he'd learned that by now. It was fine. Fine! He'd just keep his head down and not draw attention to himself.

"Senpai…" said Mash uncertainly, as they dismounted the bus and began their walk into Chinatown. "Are you sure you don't want to, you know, just dress normally?"

"I don't know what you mean," said the apparition in sunglasses, medical mask and grey hoodie. "I am totally inconspicuous. My eyes, skin and hair are completely hidden. Frankly, I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner."

Sure, the other pedestrians did seem to be looking at him and muttering, but it was probably his imagination. People always thought about you a lot less than you thought! It was a very valuable lesson, that, and one that had always helped Ritsuka whenever he'd felt anxious about how he'd be perceived.

"Senpai, people think you're a terrorist."

"What? No!"

"Sorry, but yes. I just saw that man call the police…"

Ritsuka faltered, then rallied. "Well, OK, but they don't think I'm a Japanese terrorist. I'm going to call this a win." He raised his voice. "Now, let's get out of sight and into a quiet area for perfectly innocent reasons."

They ducked into an alley, Mash apologising to a street full of alarmed people for some reason.

One sparkly transformation sequence and one equally sparkly dimension transfer later, they were in the Mirror World.

It was odd, seeing such a lively area of London completely quiet. They'd chosen daytime to do this, on the reasoning that the whole magical wizz-bang laser show took place in an alternate universe, so there was no risk of exposure – and, that being the case, you may as well see what you were doing.

Ritsuka swept Ruby in a horizontal line, seeding his red, green and purple spells. They hung in the air in front of him, ever-so-slowly gathering power. Better to do that now, because he still couldn't pump magical energy into those spells any quicker than before, so set-up was a necessity.

For her part, Mash changed Sapphire into her shield form.

"Okay," Ritsuka said, because pre-battle speeches were his designated thing, he guessed. "We've collected the Archer, Assassin and Caster Cards, and that's good, because those are all the Servants most likely to blindside us. But, that doesn't mean we shouldn't stay on our guard. Whichever Card this is, it will be a skilled and canny warrior, probably a master tactician-"

The building ahead exploded, and something enormous skidded into the street, roaring fit to wake the dead. Mash raised her shield, stepping in front of Ritsuka.

"…or, as I was saying, it could be Berserker," finished Ritsuka. "Let's go, Ruby!"

… and that was pretty much all he had time to do, as Berserker descended on them.

It was-

- a demonic figure, claws reaching for a broken and bleeding Mash –

Ritsuka swiped Ruby through the purple spell, then pointed her at Mash. Mash was jerked to one side as Berserker's weapon came down where she'd been standing. Ritsuka was out of range, but leapt up to the rooftops anyway, making space.

Mash recovered from Ritsuka's escape spell, and followed his lead – in seconds, she'd joined him on the rooftop.

"Senpai, what's wrong?" she asked, looking slightly hurt. "I was going to stall Berserker's blow so you could counter… did you not think it would work?"

- Sapphire on the ground, broken in two -

"It's all Shakespeare's fault," said Ritsuka, echoing the anguished lament of every English language student ever. "Sorry. Let's try that again, shall we?"

He took a look down below, and his eyes widened in alarm. Whatever this Berserker was, it was not the thing from the Caster Card's nightmare. Unfortunately, Ritsuka thought he recognised it. That armour, that halberd, those… antenna things?

Mash readied her shield, and made to jump down from the roof. "Okay, senpai! I'll attack close-in, you support from behind. One, two-"

Ritsuka's arm snapped out without conscious thought to block her way, as ancient wisdom shoved its way to the front of his brain. "Do not pursue Lu Bu!" he blurted.

"What?"

"Do not pursue Lu Bu!"

There was a roar, and the armoured figure leapt. With an almighty crash, it brought its halberd down on the rooftop where Ritsuka and Mash were standing. They shot to either side to escape.

"Lu Bu is pursuing us, senpai!"

Ritsuka thrust Ruby out behind him blindly, firing off a series of tiny blasts – not powerful, but as bright as he could manage. They sprayed off to the side like fighter plane chaff to distract the Berserker Card while Ritsuka made the most of his Magical Boy body, sprinting over the rooftops of Mirror World London.

Another roar behind him told him the Berserker Card hadn't been fooled, and he risked a look behind him… only to see the halberd whistling towards his face.

For the second Card in a row, Ritsuka's life passed before his eyes again, but at least Berserker was polite enough not to show up and try to poke holes in his mental state. Just when Ritsuka was getting to the good bit when he met Mash…

CLANG.

… the girl herself was there, slamming the Card's halberd aside with Sapphire in shield form, so hard that the Card was sent skidding back across the tiles. Mash stood, resolute, between Ritsuka and everything that would harm him.

"I won't let you," she said. "I want to experience all of life as a human, and I can't do that unless Senpai shows me how. So buzz off, you… you… you crooked cardboard criminal!" She cocked Sapphire back, ready to swing, and set her mouth in a line. The Berserker Card stormed in, halberd whirling.

Ritsuka didn't need to be told what to do. No escapes, this time. Mash knew her job, and he knew his.

He swiped Ruby through one of the other spells he'd had charging throughout the fight – the red one. He pointed her at Mash.

"Instant Enhancement!"

Mash glowed red – not long, maybe for a second.

It was enough.

Sapphire's edge caught the Berserker Card in the throat, and sent it flying. It tumbled across the roof tiles, then off the edge entirely, crashing into a second-story window before collapsing into the street.

Ritsuka stared in pure awe.

"Yay!" said the girl who'd just punched a Servant across a street. "Did we win?"

There was a howl of rage from down below.

"Don't feel bad," Ritsuka said to the crestfallen Mash. "You totally deserved to win, and that's what really counts. It's not your fault the Berserker Card doesn't have any sense of drama."

"Well, I suppose-"

They were interrupted as the Card hurled itself at them again. It was fast – Ritsuka would have said 'faster than anything had a right to be at that size', but, then, it was a dead hero, he wasn't going to argue about rights with it. It was all he and Mash could do to stay ahead.

They skimmed together over the rooftops, Ruby diverting every bit of Ritsuka's power to physical enhancement and reflexes. Mash had more to spare, but was slowed down by the need, every few steps, to deflect another hammer-blow from the Card.

Ritsuka waited for the moment it paused its assault – that would be when he and Mash could rally and think of a plan. Until then, all they had to do was outlast it.

At an unspoken signal, they dove down into the alleyways, spinning and ducking through washing lines and strings of paper lanterns. Tiny blasts from Ruby smashed windows, toppled bins, and generally made things tricky for any pursuer.

Yep, it would stop chasing them very soon.

Any moment now.

The Berserker Card dealt with the obstacles Ritsuka had left by simply crashing through them as though he hadn't.

"Isn't this thing ever going to quit?" he complained. "Attack, attack, attack, is that all this thing knows how to do?"

"Well, it is the Berserker Card, Master…"

"Also, it's working!" called Mash, muscles straining as the halberd came down once more. She skidded back a couple of inches under the Card's insane force, and turned it into a leap that let her rejoin Ritsuka. They sprinted down the deserted street.

Bah. Well, if the Card was going to foil Ritsuka's plans by being too stupid to let him come up with them, he would just have to descend to its level. Time for a stupid plan.

"Mash, if you divert all power to defence, how long can you hold it off?" he asked.

"Um… a couple of seconds, without using Lord Camelot?"

"That should be enough. Be ready to jump clear on my signal."

"That sounds alarming, but OK, senpai!"

Ritsuka reached down. Round his hips was a simple leather belt, with one pouch on it – the Cards they'd collected. They'd tried just putting them in his pockets, but his trousers were way too tight for that to be practical in battle, even if Mash and the Director had very much enjoyed watching his attempts at quick draws.

He pulled out the Card, and checked the picture – then double-checked just to be sure. They'd taken all the Cards for this, because they would probably be safer with a couple of, technically, combat-focused magi than with the Director and now that they could actually use them there was no reason not to.

Still, the Archer Card was nothing but a liability, and Ritsuka would have left it at home if he could. Only the thought of some random burglar getting hold of that power stopped him – if they managed to somehow access its Noble Phantasm by a fluke, they'd die, and the devastation would cause almost fifty pence worth of damage to Croydon.

In this case, however, it wasn't the Archer Card that Ritsuka pulled. Nor was it Caster.

He slapped the Card against Ruby's side and yelled, "Include!"

Then he tossed Ruby backwards over his head, called "Now, Mash!" and ran as fast as he could.

There was an almighty CRASH.

Ritsuka skidded to a halt and looked round.

Includes, in theory, were fantastic. For the cost of having to transform the Kaleidosticks, you got access to a legendary weapon or technique, literally the most powerful tools humanity had ever had access to. For every Class Card Ritsuka and Mash defeated, they should have been increasing their arsenal, making each fight easier.

Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, that hadn't been the case. Shielder's Noble Phantasm was incredible, but only on the defensive; Archer's was right out for obvious reasons; Caster's was the greatest mind-fuck ever made, which would have been great against opponents with actual minds.

Assassin's, though…

It wasn't really portable. It wasn't all that powerful. It was, frankly, a bit disturbing.

But it was quite large.

And giving Ruby the ability to suddenly increase her weight by about 200 tons was something Ritsuka could find a use for.

The street was filled with wreckage where the enormous pipe organ had landed squarely on the Berserker Card. Bits of horrible melty-people-statue bounced to a stop as Mash and Ritsuka stared wide-eyed at the carnage.

"That was a bit… more than I expected," said Ritsuka, at last.

"It was so creative, Senpai!" cheered Mash. "I would never have thought of that."

"Yes, well, the Card was brute-forcing its way through all of our other plans, so I just thought, what would be the most monkey-brain way to handle this?" said Ritsuka with a smile. "And then I thought the Card would probably be prepared for a magical attack, so if I had a way to just squish it that might work instead. It was this or try to topple a building on it, but I'm glad it-"

There was a rumbling noise from the pile of wreckage.

"Aw, come on!"

"No sense of drama at all," agreed Mash sympathetically.

The Berserker Card exploded from the rubble, roaring, halberd flying. It seemed to have been dazed by the blow to the head, or at least Ritsuka liked to think that was why it didn't immediately start charging them again.

"Ugh… return, Ruby," Ritsuka called. With a squeal of delight, Ruby schwoooped back to normal size and shot back to Ritsuka's waiting hand.

"Weee! That was fun, Master! Can we do it again?"

"It didn't really seem to do anything, so no. Good work, though," Ritsuka said, patting Ruby on what probably counted as her head.

He ignored the purring, and the way Ruby squirmed delightedly in his grip.

Mash stepped up, Sapphire still in shield form and held at the ready. "What should we do now, Senpai?"

Ritsuka made the decision. "We're retreating. I think we're going to need more firepower to pull this off, so we'll hold off on this one." He looked at Ruby. "That is OK, isn't it? It's not going to start breaking through into the real world?"

"It's not impossible!" Ruby chirped. "But probably unlikely for this Berserker."

"Good enough for me," Ritsuka said, filing this horrible new implication under 'things to worry about later'. "Let's go."

The mission hadn't been a total failure. They'd discovered which Card it was, and placed a lower limit on its durability, and could come back with a strategy. But as Ritsuka returned to the real world, he couldn't help but feel a little annoyed with himself.

He hated losing.

"… so Ritsuka came up with his idea," continued Mash.

"Hm?" said the Director in a 'carry on, I'm totally interested' sort of way. For once they weren't in her office, having caught her as she was visiting the Department of Modern Magecraft. She said she'd just popped over to discuss something with Reines, but her hair looked suspiciously well made-up for that and Ritsuka and Mash had found her fidgeting outside Waver's office.

Discussing the incredible Mystic Codes, and their quest to secure enough funding to build a base in Antarctica of all places, was not really the thing to do in a corridor full of listening ears – some of these students were probably modern enough to have phones and know how the 'record' function worked. The Director had pulled them into an unused lecture hall, and sketched a quick constellation into the ceiling that (she explained at Ritsuka's puzzled look) should prevent eavesdroppers.

That done, the pair had launched into their explanation.

"So what was this idea?" the Director asked, turning her attention to Ritsuka.

Ritsuka put his hands on his hips, proudly. "I decided to crush it with my massive organ," he said, beaming.

Olga Marie Animusphere's gaze dipped.

"That is, the Assassin Card's Noble Phantasm," clarified Mash hurriedly, cheeks pink.

"Ah, um, yes." The Director lifted her eyes to Ritsuka's, then looked away for some reason. "Of course. Well, was it successful?"

Ritsuka shrugged. "Not really, I'm afraid. Berserker just kind of shook it off. So, we retreated – we'll need to either master Installs to the point we can start using the Cards' full power, or else continue hunting the rest of them until we get an actually properly offensive Noble Phantasm we can Include. But, at least we can come back with a plan next time!"

"Yes, you've done very well," said the Director. "Well, no sense in waiting around – we've made good progress in finding the next Card. Getting in might be… well, I'm sure you kids will think of a way. Here."

She passed over a file. Ritsuka opened it and found a map along with a photograph of a building. His heart sank.

"A strip club!?"

"Yes, you've done very well," said the Director. "Well, no sense in waiting around – we've made good progress in finding the next Card. Getting in might be… well, I'm sure you kids will think of a way. Here."

She passed over a file. Ritsuka opened it and found a map along with a photograph of a building. His heart sank.

"A strip club!?"
That'll be a bit tricky to access when they're both under 18, heh.

Snerk. Grin.

Atta boy, Ritsuka! Smack that Berserker with that massive organ of yours!

I don't know what level of English Ritsuka has, so I can't be sure, but I'd give him a 95% chance of doing it on purpose!

Hmm, which classes do we have left? Saber, Lancer, Rider? But it's in a strip club. That implies a Servant either so stripperrific they they got drawn into the place, or a pervert Servant that would enjoy the show of strippers.

...it's Saber Lancelot, I would say, but he would actually solve their offense woes to the point that I doubt it'll happen.

But it's in a strip club. That implies a Servant either so stripperrific they they got drawn into the place, or a pervert Servant that would enjoy the show of strippers.
Since Saber and Rider havent Manifested, and Saberlot has a taste for married women......yeah it's gotta be either Fergus as Saber or Medb as Rider.
Remember Fergus is known for having an appetite for carnal pleasure so strong that he went through seven men and women each night, the only one capable of actually satiating him by herself was his wife, Medb.

Last edited:
Since Saber and Rider havent Manifested, and Saberlot has a taste for married women......yeah it's gotta be either Fergus as Saber or Medb as Rider.
Remember Fergus is known for having an appetite for carnal pleasure so strong that he went through seven men and women each night, the only one capable of actually satiating him by herself was his wife, Medb.
Medb would also fit in that I can't see the rape wagon being all that useful at the moment.

In Ritsuka and Mash's case it's not Chariot My Love that is useful to them. It's the Bulls that pull it
I mean Medb gets use out of the bulls that pull it too, but that's not the main part of her Chariot ultimately.

...Would Installs be able to get her other My Love NPs though? Because even though you'd be getting it from like four places away from the original, Caladbolg is still ridiculous.

...Would Installs be able to get her other My Love NPs though? Because even though you'd be getting it from like four places away from the original, Caladbolg is still ridiculous.

Good question. I was fairly sure you could access multiple Noble Phantasms by Including, let alone Installing, but rewatching the relevant scenes I'm not so sure.

I thought I remembered Miyu fighting with an invisible sword (i.e. with both Excalibur and Invisible Air) with the Saber card Installed - but it's visible throughout, apart from the very start of her fight with Chloe (2wei Ep 05), which might just be it being summoned. Obviously Chloe herself uses multiple Noble Phantasms, as does Miyuverse!Shirou, but that's all just Unlimited Blade Works so still technically just one Noble Phantasm.

Sometimes Includes don't even give you a Noble Phantasm at all! The EMIYA Card just gives you his bow, and from 2wei Hertz Ep 09 Including the Heracles Card gets you his axe-sword… which, considering that's something the Einzberns gave him in FSN probably shouldn't be questioned too hard.

The best evidence comes from Oath Under Snow (or at least the movie) - Angelica uses both the Gate of Babylon and Ea against Shirou, and the original FSN classes those as separate NPs… although really there's no reason that Ea shouldn't be contained within the Gate (and the anime for Fate/Zero shows Gil drawing Ea using the key-shaped sword that is the actual Gate itself). Still, it's what we've got, and I'm the one making the rules here, so this is what I think, and what I'll work with until someone shows me otherwise:

Includes give you one Noble Phantasm. It may or may not be the one you'd like. (For example, Medb could give you Caladbolg, but is more likely to give you the fun-time chariot.). Installs can give you access to more than one, but only if you're very familiar with using the Cards - otherwise you get what you get when you Include.

… that should be enough for our dynamic duo to be getting on with, I think.

although really there's no reason that Ea shouldn't be contained within the Gate
Ea has an on-again-off-again relationship with the Gate. Per the original version FSN, he pulls Ea out of the Gate in response to Arturia getting serious with Excalibur, but in the end of UBW it's extremely ultra unclear as to whether it was in the Gate or not - it just says that it was behind him and he was grabbing at it when Shirou seizes the opportunity - then in Hollow Ataraxia during the final act, Gilgamesh just kind of has the fucking thing the second he stops being Ko-Gil, and ever since then it's been extremely unclear as to whether he has to pull it out of his gate or can just have it onhand no matter what, because some works directly show the first option off and others show off the second, and sometimes they do both.

Chapter 13 - In which Ritsuka and Mash are taught important lessons
If this story has a moral, it would be this:

Make the best of what you have, and have fun along the way.

Which, I mean, that's pretty uplifting and all, but it's hardly useful as advice. We're lacking a moral centre, that's our trouble. I mean, who can we get to act as our wise mentor? It sure as heck isn't the Director, she's like twenty three. Mash can't do her expository bit, because she's as new to this Magical Girl thing as Ritsuka is. The Kaleidosticks? Ha. Ha. It is to laugh.

I guess that makes it Waver, and while he's definitely a wise mentor he's not exactly a moral centre except in comparison to other magi.

So, I thought it was high time these kids got some guidance. You know, a bit of friendly advice from someone who's been there before.

But, you know, not that much advice, this is a comedy and not a moral play, after all.

Still, anyone looking for morals anyway (why?), this is your chapter. The next one is going to be pretty steamy – some might even say raunchy – so this is your good Christian chapter with people learning the error of their ways and that. Enjoy!

THE THRILLING ADVENTURES OF KALEIDO GARNET

Chapter 13 – In which Ritsuka and Mash are taught important lessons​

Among all the lore of the Magus Association, there is one word which stands above others as the most magical of all. Used correctly, it can open any door, sway any heart, and turn almost certain failure into almost guaranteed success.

"Please can we come in?" Ritsuka tried.

The bouncer stared at him. Like most London bouncers, he would have seen some bizarre things in his time, and two teenagers trying to enter the Naughty Dog bar and gentleman's club did not even make the list. The fact that one was a girl was more notable, and her lavender hair and eyes more so, but still, this probably did not crack the most memorable thing he'd seen in the past week.

Slowly, he uncrossed his arms – carefully, so as not to dislodge the radio clipped to his jacket.

Uh-oh. This, Ritsuka assumed, was the point at which he lightly knocked them about and threw them into the street. He'd seen gangster movies. This guy had basically stepped directly from one, too, all shaved head and no neck. He tensed – he really couldn't use his magical powers against a civilian, partly because the Director would be very sad at having to cover it up but also because no-one deserved what Ruby could dish out.

The bouncer laid a meaty hand on one of Ritsuka and Mash's shoulders, and they braced themselves.

"Kids. Kids. You're too young for this." He rummaged in his pocket, and produced a boiled sweet, which he presented to a puzzled-looking Mash. "Go home. Play some board games. Build a rocket. You don't need what's back there."

"But we-"

"Answer's no. Sorry." With a kindly push of the bouncer's hand, Ritsuka stumbled back into the street, and stood by to let a gaggle of young men past. One of them ruffled his hair.

This wasn't really what he had expected. Did… did he really look that young?

"Maybe we should just… try again later, senpai," said Mash, although she didn't look very enthusiastic about the prospect.

"Yes," said Ritsuka. "Let's, um, go back and think of something?" With a last look at the bouncer, and the ever-so-tantalising curtain that hid the Naughty Dog club interior from view, the pair left.

"Right," said the Director, peering severely down at them. "Now, these weren't especially difficult to get, but by the same token, these can easily be taken away from you, and if I hear even the slightest hint that you've been misusing these, I will do precisely that. Do you two understand?"

Ritsuka and Mash nodded earnestly, still mesmerised by the sight of that most holy of artefacts to a teenage mind: the two fake IDs on Director's desk, which said very officially that they were nineteen-year-old university students. None of your basic McLovin cut-and-paste job, either – even with almost all their resources sunk into their useless Antarctic site, the Animusphere family still had connections enough to sort out an almost perfect ID.

"I don't mind you keeping these, because goodness knows I could do with two helpers that can legally drive, but these are for official Chaldea business only. I won't give you the full alcohol awareness brief, although I think as a UN organisation Chaldea is technically required to provide one, but I will remind you that you are both responsible for Kaleidosticks and that neither of them need any excuse or opportunity to gather incriminating evidence on you. I will set them to report on you, and don't even pretend they won't go for it."

Mash nodded along. "The sticks already said you'd say that."

"Ruby is all for it," added Ritsuka, "Because she says 'it's more adorable if we're both innocent' or something like that…"

"… but Sapphire said to remind you that she is always working towards my best interests no matter how mysterious her methods seem," said Mash, "and that if you don't want photos of Pretty Party Princess Animusphere surfacing that you'd best not try and stand between her and an album of Magical Substance Abuse Mash-tan." She shuddered.

"So, in short, I don't think you need to worry about us misusing these cards any more than the others, Director," finished Ritsuka. "Though we are very grateful."

He took his own card and stood up dramatically. (He'd been practising a dramatic stand with Ruby, and apart from one time where he'd tripped over his own bedpost and skinned his knee, he thought it was pretty dashing all things considered.) "With this, nothing can stop us! Come, Mash! Once more, we'll delve where no kids have gone before, to find and seal the next Card! For the good of Chaldea!"

"Yes, senpai!"

"So here we are," said the bouncer, sat on the kerb between Ritsuka and Mash, looking philosophically up at the stars (or rather, the low lying cloud and reflected dull streetlight glow, this being London). "Life choices. That's what this is about. Kids, I've lived a long life, and you know, I think maybe it's time I passed on some wisdom."

"That's quite alrigh-"

"No, no. I want to. I understand the temptation. You see a windowless club, a curtain across the door, and part of you just has to know, am I right? A strip club… I guess it has its own kind of mystique, although it's been years since I've been able to see it that way."

"It's really not abou-"

"It's just a job to me now. Nine-to-five, or, you know, ten-to-five but the other side of dinnertime. The girls are nice enough, but they're no mystical untouchable fairies – students, most of them, just trying to earn a living same as I am, and heck, if I were in their position I'm sure I'd make best use of what I'd been given too. Cleaning broken glass and spilled beer and sick has kind of killed any sense of wonder or excitement I might have had at working at a strip club. Well, spilled champagne mostly, we do try and fleece it to the punters as much as we can. Oops, I suppose I shouldn't kill too much of the magic all in one go…"

Ritsuka waited, to see if the man was just going to interrupt him again if he tried to say anything. Just as he'd decided he was safe, the bouncer continued.

"But I'm not here to tell you you shouldn't ever go to one of these places. It can be fun, I'll grant you – but that's all it is and can ever be, and frankly I don't think you kids have the emotional maturity to get that yet. If it was up to me I'd only let over-twenty-fives in for that very reason, but management gonna management I guess, and we do make about twice as much from the twenty-one to twenty-five bracket as from anyone else. Not that we can do really accurate demographics, people are usually too embarrassed to give away personal info in a place like this, but just from what I've seen looking at IDs. Which," he added sternly, "is hundreds of thousands, just like any other bouncer in London, so don't go thinking that your fancy new fake IDs will help you any more than they did here. Not to mention that I've seen your faces, for God's sake... You're lucky I'm letting you keep these. Guess I'm just a soft touch with a nostalgic side.

"I remember my first fake ID. Two thousand and three, I was seventeen, and the man just looks at me and laughs in my face. Still got in, though, I mean nowhere really cared back then. Sure enough, I got absolutely bing-bonged, and after I woke up the next morning thought, 'Frank, maybe rules are there for a reason.' You two could probably use a dose of that medicine, in my opinion, but it won't be me giving it to you, partly because I'm just too soft and partly we can get fined ten grand for knowingly admitting a minor. Didn't use my ID again after that incident, in any case – sold it on to a mate of mine's brother, I think…"

As the bouncer's rambling life story and inspirational speech wore on into the night, Ritsuka found himself nodding along frantically, unable to do any more than just pray it would end.

"…so then I thought, maybe you could just buy the club?" Ritsuka asked hopefully. "You'd have, you know, another asset, and if management gave us any trouble you could just, like, lean on them and sort it out."

"Lean on them? Who do I look like, the freaking Kray twins?" shot back Don Olga Marie Animusphere. "Besides, property prices are frankly ludicrous. I doubt Animusphere would be able to cover that even if our finances weren't in the toilet."

"You bought our apartment…"

The Director huffed. "A two-bed flat in Croydon is not the same as a club in Soho, obviously. It's not the same as a closet in Soho, for that matter. It's not an option. Even if it were, the Association tries not to get involved in vice, and while strip clubs don't quite count, they're seedy enough that we don't want to risk it. Things get messy when organised crime and magus society mix."

"Has that actually happened?" asked Ritsuka, interested despite himself. In his head he was trying to match what he'd seen of the Association with images of men with overcoats and tommy guns going nyeah. It wasn't really fitting, but it was giving him an idea.

"We try and crack down on it, but I'm sure it happens," said the Director. "Certainly not among the circles I move in, at any rate. Never mind that. We have a Card to get. Bribes are right out, because, again, we have no money – I suppose I could hit that one bouncer with a quick Gandr and hope someone less attentive is on the door when you try again…"

"Ah, actually, Director," said Ritsuka, "I think I have one more idea I'd like to try. It's crazy, but it just might work. Mash, here's what we're going to do…"

Ritsuka had never seen the inside of a police cell. It was… well, not really what he'd expected. Boring, really, although that was probably the point. Just a blank off-white wall, a set of tiny, thick-glassed windows set high up, a rubbery plastic mattress on a bench for a bed, a hole in the floor for a toilet and a sink. It was interesting to note all the things that weren't there – no pipework that could be broken off to make a weapon, no hanging curtains that could be a garrotte, no lightbulbs with smashable glass bulbs. Well, it had been interesting, for the first ten minutes.

Now it was just tedious.

He'd even had Ruby confiscated, although since she had obediently kept quiet and still the moment civilians were around Ritsuka had no idea what the police thought he was going to do with her.

Some time later – and, with no clock in the room, 'some' was the only time it ever was – there was a rap at the door. Bolts slid across, and the viewing window slid open to reveal a severe-looking police officer and the Director (who usually looked severe in any case), as well as a miserable-looking Mash.

"This him?" asked the officer.

"Well, it could be," said the Director. "I'm fairly sure I never hired anyone so stupid as to just try and break into a building during broad daylight, though, so I could be mistaken."

"In my defense," said Ritsuka, "it would have been open during the night, so logically the best time to do it would be when all the workers were away. That's just science."

"And your plan to do this was to repeatedly hit the door with a crowbar while yelling swear words at the top of your voice?"

"Well, I tried to pick it first, but then the paperclip broke and I remembered I don't know how to pick locks. I might be Japanese, but you know that doesn't automatically make me a ninja, right?"

The Director narrowed her eyes. "I'm fairly sure I never hired anyone so sassy, either."

Ritsuka acquired a faraway look. "Prison changes a man."

With a sigh, the Director said, "That's him, officer. I'm so sorry about all of this."

"Oh, there's no trouble," said the officer, taking the remaining bolts off and opening the door all the way. She replaced the keys on her belt, and grasped Ritsuka's shoulder as he came out in that 'just making sure you still exist' way police officers have. "They were both so polite compared to the usual jokers that come through here. And so cute!" She tugged on Ritsuka's cheek, which was a clear-cut case of police brutality in his opinion.

They were taken to the evidence locker, where they dutifully signed for 'TOY WAND (CHILD'S), QTY. 2'. To Ritsuka's surprise there was not a single complaint of mysterious lights, things flying round, or the officer on duty hearing alien voices and ominous chanting, so it looked like the sticks had behaved themselves for once. That, or whatever prank they'd set up would go off long after they'd left, which was sadly the same thing as far as they were concerned. The Director packed the TOY WANDS (CHILD'S) into a briefcase - brought especially for that purpose, judging by the extremely heavy padlock on it.

Mash fidgeted. "Can we… are we free to go? This is all really embarrassing, and I'd really like to go to bed."

"Unfortunately, we will need to get your statements before you go. Breaking and entering is a serious crime, you know, and even if you are minors, there's still a lot of processing to do. Oh, and… for you," she said, turning to the Director, "I'd like to have a little chat about just what you're making these kids do, and that it's all above board. I'm sure you're well aware of child labour laws, but I really would like to check just to make sure…"

The Director's had been suppressing a smile – now, she looked confusedly startled, as though she'd been unexpectedly attacked by her armchair.

"Um, well, the thing is, erm… what you've got to… one thing…" she stuttered, before peering at the officer's ID card. "Excuse me… birthday of 21st August, that makes you, um, a Leo, so… Androcles!" With the last word, she prodded the officer in her forehead with a gloved finger.

The officer blinked a couple of times, then straightened up.

"Well, I think that's all sorted then," she said. "Oh, but before I let you go, we took statements from some of the workers at the Naughty Dog, who've apparently run into you before. Based on that, we have some resources we think will be useful for you…"

She rummaged in a pocket and produced a pair of leaflets. As she held them out, Ritsuka saw the title:

Sex Addiction and You – How To Beat the Urge

Faces burning, Ritsuka and Mash took the leaflets. There really wasn't any other choice.

The Director thanked the officer and took her poor sex-addicted employees out into the London evening, and into the waiting car, with only a single wistful look at the dustbin as she passed it with her briefcase.

Once they were safely inside and on their way, Ritsuka asked, "Director… what was that at the end there?"

"Oh, the spell? Just some basic hypnosis. It's very good for getting out of, er, little situations like that. It's useless against magi, but most people can't circulate od to flush out the invasive magic, so it helps to smooth over any relations with the mundane authorities. Very good for covering up any accidental breaches of Mystery, that sort of thing."

Ritsuka and Mash exchanged a look.

"And, for, you know, getting into places that aren't guarded by magi?" ventured Mash.

"For example, if you wanted to talk your way past a bouncer?" added Ritsuka.

"That sounds really useful, Director," said Mash earnestly. "I never knew you could do that!"

There was silence in the car.

The Director didn't say anything, but her blush got deeper and deeper with the passing seconds. She was probably just focusing on the road.

Eventually, Mash took pity on her. "Anyway, senpai, I have a great new idea for how to get in to the Card!"

Sadly, Mash's pity was often indistinguishable for pure savagery.

Ritsuka couldn't help it, this pot needed stirring. "Gosh, Mash, what's that?"

"Maybe we could use hypnosis to get inside, senpai!"

"Wow! That's a great idea, Mash!"

The Director's gloves tightened on the wheel, but she maintained an elegant silence.

As it happened, help – actual help, not Mash's well-meant but disastrous attempts – came from an unexpected quarter, in the form of a voice piping up from the briefcase.

"Ooh! Are we doing mind control? We're the best at mind control! Potions, drugs, curse seals, common sense adjustments, puppet spells, those apps that are popular these days, we can do them all! Just say the word!"

"The flesh-brains of meat-things are as putty in our hands, Master," added Sapphire serenely.

"That," said the Director, "that right there is why I didn't think of it. Or, rather, why I thought of it, then un-thought it as soon as possible. The last thing we need is some poor mind-broken man wandering around London making a spectacle of himself. And before you ask, no, I can't do it for you. I'm far too busy, and besides, a Lord can't be seen in a place like that."

Fortunately, Ritsuka had had time to think by this point, and connections were forming in his mind. "That's okay, Director. I think we can get someone else. In fact, I rather think we're obliged to bring them, if this Card is what I think it is…"

Last edited:
Once they were safely inside and on their way, Ritsuka asked, "Director… what was that at the end there?"

"Oh, the spell? Just some basic hypnosis. It's very good for getting out of, er, little situations like that. It's useless against magi, but most people can't circulate od to flush out the invasive magic, so it helps to smooth over any relations with the mundane authorities. Very good for covering up any accidental breaches of Mystery, that sort of thing."

Ritsuka and Mash exchanged a look.

"And, for, you know, getting into places that aren't guarded by magi?" ventured Mash.

"For example, if you wanted to talk your way past a bouncer?" added Ritsuka.

"That sounds really useful, Director," said Mash earnestly. "I never knew you could do that!"
I love how this works equally well for "I have zero faith in the director" as "well why didn't you just do that in the first place?"
Eventually, Mash took pity on her. "Anyway, senpai, I have a great new idea for how to get in to the Card!"

Sadly, Mash's pity was often indistinguishable for pure savagery.

Ritsuka couldn't help it, this pot needed stirring. "Gosh, Mash, what's that?"

"Maybe we could use hypnosis to get inside, senpai!"

"Wow! That's a great idea, Mash!"
Mashu, please be less cruel to defeated enemies. Not much less cruel though, it's still funny.
"Ooh! Are we doing mind control? We're the best at mind control! Potions, drugs, curse seals, common sense adjustments, puppet spells, those apps that are popular these days, we can do them all! Just say the word!"

"The flesh-brains of meat-things are as putty in our hands, Master," added Sapphire serenely.

"That," said the Director, "that right there is why I didn't think of it. Or, rather, why I thought of it, then un-thought it as soon as possible. The last thing we need is some poor mind-broken man wandering around London making a spectacle of himself. And before you ask, no, I can't do it for you. I'm far too busy, and besides, a Lord can't be seen in a place like that."
Wow, saving an innocent maiden from being captured and interrogated, truly the Kaleidosticks are heroes.
Fortunately, Ritsuka had had time to think by this point, and connections were forming in his mind. "That's okay, Director. I think we can get someone else. In fact, I rather think we're obliged to bring them, if this Card is what I think it is…"
Waver: Why me.
Ritsuka: You brought this upon yourself.
Ritsuka: Literally, I mean. You made it a condition and everything. Insisted-
Waver: Yes, I got that.

I'd say that the bouncer deserves to go to the throne of heroes but he's too good for it. He recognizes purity when he sees it and as a bouncer he's probably seen just as much strange shit as your average enforcer.

Also Mash remains savage in the cruelest way possible. Not even Hans Christian Anderson could roast as hard as she does for her remarks are made in innocence which adds an extra twist to the knife that only the pure can achieve.

Back