The SV Subnautica Thread: Is it just me, or is it cold in here?

I bought it when it was still early access and yes, I am, though I'm also on the intimidated side with it. It pushes you deeper faster.

Below Zero has proven pretty fun so far, although I'm only 3h or so in. The QoL improvements (eg; HUD marker for recipe, bar to indicate battery lvl on X item) are pretty useful, and the game is already proving to have more voice acting than the original. Not too hard to beat, admittedly, but still nice.

I've got most of the ingredients for a sea truck, and have managed to make a base a few hundred metres from my drop pod, in these crevace full of twisty coral reef things. Also got a battery charger, which has proven quite useful after getting a few tools, and I plan to make a charger for the SeaTruck batteries too. Just need to get more silver... which is >100m underwater and thus means oxygen runs out quick even with the advanced diving tank.

In other news, I've discovered the oxygen pump is pretty nifty for exploring deeper water without needing to go all~ the way back up to the surface. Also found the grav trap is wonderful for catching fish/food, as I can just leave it alone 30m below the base and when I come back it's got a bunch of fish stuck to it.

I find that Below Zero actually encourages you to make secondary bases. In the original your pod is pretty centrally located, so there isn't anywhere in particular you need a second base (except maybe the Underground River, and even that's totally optional). But in Below Zero I ended up putting a

I'm really missing the Salt + Coral Chip combination for water. It used to be a good way to make a lasting water reserve. Without it I ended up having to rely on the bladderfish until pretty late into the game.

But in Below Zero I ended up putting a
I think you forgot to mention where your base was here :p
I'm really missing the Salt + Coral Chip combination for water. It used to be a good way to make a lasting water reserve. Without it I ended up having to rely on the bladderfish until pretty late into the game.
What salt + coral chip combo is this? I only ever made water via the bladderfish, or upon unlocking the filter, that.

The first base you find, with the underwater iceberg entrance, has a scannable water filter. Most ingredients can be crafted as-is just a few hours into the game, with only aerogel being iffy - that last one because I haven't done so yet. Seems all but the ruby can be found in the twisty bridges area, too, just a short while from the starting pod base.

How's the tech optimization? As in, how does it run on PC so far?

I ask because I ended up abandoning Subnautica because the moment I tried to make any sort of major base, I ran into immense stuttering issues (even after turning down all the graphics settings). This happened even when I was nowhere near render range for my base, but I still stuttered when I faced in that direction. From Googling, apparently this is simply because Unity Engine is terrible at large-scale inventory, and nothing could be done.

I've been reluctant to get Below Zero because I'm not sure if it has the same issues.

How's the tech optimization? As in, how does it run on PC so far?

I ask because I ended up abandoning Subnautica because the moment I tried to make any sort of major base, I ran into immense stuttering issues (even after turning down all the graphics settings). This happened even when I was nowhere near render range for my base, but I still stuttered when I faced in that direction. From Googling, apparently this is simply because Unity Engine is terrible at large-scale inventory, and nothing could be done.

I've been reluctant to get Below Zero because I'm not sure if it has the same issues.

I'd hold off on it for the moment. I was running it fine on low settings through three playthroughs in Early Access, but the framerates I'm getting on the launch build are truly atrocious from the moment I enter the life pod. Hopefully this is a hotfix issue.

I find that Below Zero actually encourages you to make secondary bases. In the original your pod is pretty centrally located, so there isn't anywhere in particular you need a second base (except maybe the Underground River, and even that's totally optional). But in Below Zero I ended up putting a

I don't even carry water, I just have so many spicy salads now with tiny ass bases everywhere with a Preston plant and pepper plant growing. Marguerit rush is definitely going to be a running theme in any replays I do given how effectively it shuts up all of the timers.

I don't even carry water, I just have so many spicy salads now with tiny ass bases everywhere with a Preston plant and pepper plant growing. Marguerit rush is definitely going to be a running theme in any replays I do given how effectively it shuts up all of the timers.
I do miss my little terrarium in the Cyclops. Wish the Seatruck had a garden module.

Here am I just waiting for a mod that adds the Cyclops to Below Zero.

On the other side of the island, right next to the sunken ship. It's closer to almost all the midgame stuff. Which, as I said, wasn't really true of any location in the original Subnautica.
Ahh, that sunken ship. I think I've found it myself - or at least the thrusters from it. Might be worth making a base there too...

Ahh, that sunken ship. I think I've found it myself - or at least the thrusters from it. Might be worth making a base there too...
Made a base about 90-100m deep, right next to the ship thruster, consisting of just a single I-beam and scanner room. The four solar panels I've got stuck on the base seem to be powering things OK, but I might end up shifting power to a platform higher up and beaming it down to the base via relay, depending on how much juice is used up once the scanner room is fully range upgraded. Would've gone thermal if I had the schematics, with how many vents surround the base, but alas I do not.

Also need to find Magnetite so I can make a HUD chip for said base. Anyone know where to find it?

Below the Lilypads is the best place for it, but it depends how deep you can go.
Ooh, I recently ran into said lilypad area just a few hundred metres from where I've setup base. Didn't see magnetite on the radar when I looked, but might be lacking enough range for it presently - the radar has no upgrades yet. I'll give the lilypads a proper search after work ends in a few hours.

Finally found Magnetite, in the caves under the lilypad islands area. Downside was that I only found one chunk - stuck to the roof, surprisingly - but it was enough to make a scanner room HUD chip. Next up is placing a second scanner room in the lilypad caves, powered by a bio-reactor most likely, so I can find more magnetite and lead to construct a nuclear power plant for my main base.

Or possibly some thermal power generator, I'm a tad undecided. Solar panels alone don't seem to be enough, as even with 6 of 'em slapped on the roof I seem to be using more juice than I'm making during the day. Evidently a water filter, scanner room and music player use a fair bit of power - and I've got a seadock mostly complete which'll use even more juice once I get the final few materials to finish construction.

There should be lots of magnetite there. I haven't had to use any scanners.
The trouble is that magnetite is black and, despite being lit by glowing plants, the ocean in that cave is kinda shadowey and dark. With a scanner I can just head to the glowing orange circles to find X.

Nuclear reactors are surprisingly easy to set up for their output, and just the rods I've scavenged from the wreck of the Murcury 2 are going strong.

Nuclear reactors are surprisingly easy to set up for their output, and just the rods I've scavenged from the wreck of the Murcury 2 are going strong.
They'd also need maintainance, however, whereas I can slap down some thermal power converter near a geothermal vent and never need to worry about refueling. Unlike bio-reactor or (presumably) nuclear, although the latter I've never actually made before.

They'd also need maintainance, however, whereas I can slap down some thermal power converter near a geothermal vent and never need to worry about refueling. Unlike bio-reactor or (presumably) nuclear, although the latter I've never actually made before.

Technically, yes, but a full reactor can keep an active scanner and water filter going for 16 hours, and you are presumably going into the base anyways to get the water. Plus, not nearly as many good thermal spots in BZ as in the original so far.

Back