The Root of All Evil: A Warhammer Fantasy

... Alright, see, I was going to suggest the Sinsystems should be allowed a do-over, because they clearly weren't knowledgeable enough about Warhammer to know just how bad an idea this is, so it wouldn't be fair to make them go through with it. I was even going to slap together a rough list of the various factions generals and how comparatively monstrous they are at facepunching.

But the thing is, I have seen Blackadder, and I reckon I know what Sinsystems has in mind. And... Yeah that would actually give you a fighting chance, and more, it'll be hilarious. Shine on, you crazy diamond!
Can we see the list anyway? Be warned we will argue about it for several pages.

I'd need the army books to know for sure. Does somebody have the full statblocks for Vlad Von Carstein and a General of the Empire?

I have the 7th edition Vampire Count and Empire books. I'll look it up.

EDIT, I See someone already got the stats.

Also all of my knowledge about duels comes from Hollywood, but isn't it the person who was challenged the guy who picks the weapon? Not the challenger?

Last edited:

Also all of my knowledge about duels comes from Hollywood, but isn't it the person who was challenged the guy who picks the weapon? Not the challenger?
Yes but the honour duel was first proposed by @Theravis, even though he didn't start the discussion.

Last edited:

It is, but the one who first proposed the duel was Vlad which makes him the Challenger and me the Challenged.

Got the biggest hangover, I can't move from my bed so nothing today guys, give me time to recover. I think I was pretty off the reserve before...

Got the biggest hangover, I can't move from my bed so nothing today guys, give me time to recover. I think I was pretty off the reserve before...
Mostly just confused me for a bit. But then again we were talking about the upcoming cannon duel between myself and Vlad so things were crazy to begin with.

Mostly just confused me for a bit. But then again we were talking about the upcoming cannon duel between myself and Vlad so things were crazy to begin with.
I'm just assuming it becomes a Joseph Joestar fight where the gun is preloaded and rigged to explode, but you set it up so Vlad switches your rigged one for his untouched one out of sheer paranoia. Also there are landmines.

Well it's something! I'm too far from my computer tho so I dunno!

Can we see the list anyway? Be warned we will argue about it for several pages.
Sure. Roughly speaking, and only counting the realistic contenders from each army (so, skipping goblin bosses, for example), when you want the MAXIMUM EFFORT facepunching, it goes like this;

Tier 1: Chaos Lords, Vampire Lords, Saurus Oldbloods, Ogre Tyrants, Doombulls.

All of these have powerful base statlines, while Chaos Lords and Vampires both have access to additional 'magic items' on top of the normal limits in the form of mutations and bloodline powers. Ogres are just really beefy, and Doombulls crank that up even further. Saurus Oldbloods barely make this list, but they still get a special rule or two that sets them above other heavyweights.

I should probably count Daemons of Chaos here too because, you know, Greater Daemons, but honestly? Screw that book. Oh, and I guess Verminlords should be up here too.

Tier 2: Orc Warbosses, Dwarf Lords, Tomb Kings, Beastlords, Treeman Ancients.

These still have beefy statlines, but they tend to be not quite as beefy as the superstars, or the heavy stats are basically all they have. Dwarfs in particular are the first entry on the list without Strength 5, but they get a slightly larger magic items allowance, and runes are easier to make nasty combo's with than the often-truncated magic items lists of 8th ed. Treemen have an incredibly punchy statline, but they're let down by their few attacks and lack of magic items.

Tier 3: Basically all the elves, Bretonnian Dukes.

These have pretty good stats, but they're not as good where it counts as the ones above. Strength and Toughness are just too much of a big deal. Bretonnian Dukes get some neat special rules from Vows and the Lady's Blessing, but like all Bretonnians, they rely heavily on the charge, and they are still only human.

Tier 4: Generals of the Empire, and their counterparts from minor army books like Kislev and so on. Skaven Warlords.

These guys aren't really meant to be combat monsters, and it shows. They don't have any standout stats, and they don't really have anything special to make up for that. They're A Lord, if you kit them out right they'll do the business, but they're not heavyweights.

Last edited:
I'm just assuming it becomes a Joseph Joestar fight where the gun is preloaded and rigged to explode, but you set it up so Vlad switches your rigged one for his untouched one out of sheer paranoia. Also there are landmines.
As much as I would love for this scene to happen

this is still an honor duel so I can't tamper with the weapons or battlefield in such a manner.

Sure. Roughly speaking, and only counting the realistic contenders from each army (so, skipping goblin bosses, for example), when you want the MAXIMUM EFFORT facepunching, it goes like this;

Tier 1: Chaos Lords, Vampire Lords, Saurus Oldbloods, Ogre Tyrants, Doombulls.

All of these have powerful base statlines, while Chaos Lords and Vampires both have access to additional 'magic items' on top of the normal limits in the form of mutations and bloodline powers. Ogres are just really beefy, and Doombulls crank that up even further. Saurus Oldbloods barely make this list, but they still get a special rule or two that sets them above other heavyweights.

I should probably count Daemons of Chaos here too because, you know, Greater Daemons, but honestly? Screw that book. Oh, and I guess Verminlords should be up here too.

Tier 2: Orc Warbosses, Dwarf Lords, Tomb Kings, Beastlords, Treeman Ancients.

These still have beefy statlines, but they tend to be not quite as beefy as the superstars, or the heavy stats are basically all they have. Dwarfs in particular are the first entry on the list without Strength 5, but they get a slightly larger magic items allowance, and runes are easier to make nasty combo's with than the often-truncated magic items lists of 8th ed. Treemen have an incredibly punchy statline, but they're let down by their few attacks and lack of magic items.

Tier 3: Basically all the elves, Bretonnian Dukes.

These have pretty good stats, but they're not as good where it counts as the ones above. Strength and Toughness are just too much of a big deal. Bretonnian Dukes get some neat special rules from Vows and the Lady's Blessing, but like all Bretonnians, they rely heavily on the charge, and they are still only human.

Tier 4: Generals of the Empire, and their counterparts from minor army books like Kislev and so on. Skaven Warlords.

These guys aren't really meant to be combat monsters, and it shows. They don't have any standout stats, and they don't really have anything special to make up for that. They're A Lord, if you kit them out right they'll do the business, but they're not heavyweights.
Of course the with the elven generals they all get excellent mounts offsetting this.

Of course the with the elven generals they all get excellent mounts offsetting this.
Yeah, but that's far from unique to them. Chaos Lords can take chaos dragons, Saurus Oldbloods can ride carnosaurs, Vampire Lords have zombie dragons, orcs have wyverns... They don't tend to exploit these options as often because they kick enough arse that they don't need to, but the options are still there. They're not quite as good as a dragon, but they're on the same playing field, and an elf... isn't.

Back