The only thing that can stop the bugs is A STRONG ECONOMY - HELLDIVERS

So I demoed the airburst missile,. and while it's nice, certainly something I will bring with a team, it's not something I would use solo.

I think I am tipping towards mines myself, mainly because they are a static anti-tank solution. Airburst is good at clearing fodder, and I can see it being effect against the bugs, but we already have Orbital Airburst, Orbital Gatling Cannon and Eagle Cluster Bomb for dealing with large amounts of fodder.

Hellbomb takes from the front: Apparently, this thing struggles to kill gunships as either it'll detonate prematurely and whiff, or only land one or two hits. The majority of the bomblets have to land to secure the kill, which is tough given that these things are affected by gravity. To add insult to injury, it's about as effective against dropships, possibly even less since it's payload harmlessly drops onto the ground instead of detonating in the loading bay.

The proximity fuse is either super sensitive, or finicky. Some say the thing is unsafe to use in cover as it'll blow up whatever you're firing from behind. Others were confused as to why it blew up when there seemingly wasn't anything in it's path, only to find out there was a single bot below the platform which the rocket picked up on.

In short: Diver's Remorse seems to be trending as quite a few posts have been made asking if it's not too late to pivot to the anti-tank mines.

IMO, the Airburst Missile was kinda what I expected? Lots of dead fodder on demand. I never expected it to be anti-armour solution, even the Devastators seem to shrug off a burst or two. It's certainly better than nothing, but anti-armour weapon it certainly is not.

Anti-Tank Mines I need to test, but I suspect they might be solution to current defense mission cases where a lot of heavy units eventually breach the line. Current anti-infantry mines are just not enough to deal with all that nonsense.

Ugh. Yeah, I can't figure out what the "airburst" is supposed to achieve.

It blasts an impressive area, but it doesn't kill any of the important targets, and it's at least as cumbersome to operate as an RR. I think if I want to explosively purge a volume like that I'd just take the grenade launcher, which also works considerably better on devastators.

From what I tried, airbust is very much meant for longer ranges. Also, you want to make sure you got clear line of fire.

You might want to fire it over the group you want to hit, rather than directly at them.

From what I tried, airbust is very much meant for longer ranges. Also, you want to make sure you got clear line of fire.

You might want to fire it over the group you want to hit, rather than directly at them.
I'm pretty sure it has the highest minimum-safe-range of any portable weapon!

Does it kill devastators better in a top-attack pattern, though? Because two slow rockets to still have to kill a group of them with my primary was the interest-killer for me...

Might do exciting things to bugs though?

I'm pretty sure it has the highest minimum-safe-range of any portable weapon!

Does it kill devastators better in a top-attack pattern, though? Because two slow rockets to still have to kill a group of them with my primary was the interest-killer for me...

Might do exciting things to bugs though?

Oh, it is absolutely going wreck bugs who lack heavy armor like bots. Even Hive Guards can only protect themselves from one direction.

it's less useful against bots who got enough armor to tank the two shots. However, from my experience, Devastators can tank 2-3 shots, depending how well you hit them. Heavy Devastators are worst since badly aimed shot just pings off their shields.

It'd also be nice because we lack really good chokepoint management tools for heavy enemies. We've got two flavors of mines and a tesla tower for chaff - and, to a lesser extent, napalm and gas strikes - but tanks and hulks are things you can only really react to. Mines are certainly less flashy but they have a nice that's pretty underused.

Also, do we know if AT mines are triggered by players stepping on them? Because if not, it'd be nice to have a more team-friendly area denial option. I wonder how much of the lack of interest is due to bad memories of poorly placed AP mines when they first started playing.

Honestly, the ABR is going to be one of those weapons where if you're playing with friends on voice coms it's amazing, but if you're trying to play with randoms, it's just going to be a hindrance.

I know I've posted this already, but I fucking love Menkent so I'm posting it again.

Also regarding Divers' Remorse over the airburst rocket:

I'm definitely putting my time in at Menkent and hoping that we get the AT mine. When you get to high level Bot play, it's Hulks, Tonks, and AT-ATs for days. Something that can take them out but can be used more than Orbital Railcannon/Laser/120/380 (which all have long cooldown times) would be very welcome. I guess there's 500kg and 110 rockets but I kinda like taking just the one Eagle strategm.

Penta has been liberated, just in time for a Terminid personal order! And to the surprise of absolutely nobody, divers are landing on Chort Bay instead of Menkent. Some of them are on Merak, whether for sight seeing, Creekers pining for the good ol' days, or well intentioned but misguided citizens trying to reach Cyberstan.

In short: Choohe's cooked. Perhaps Super Earth will send a small fleet over to airdrop a bunch of grenades so that the stranded citizens can dedicate their lives to democracy. accidentally setting off the anti-tank mines in storage as a result.

EDIT: At least we can buy the Teamkiller 3000: Pocket Edition now. Time to find out if these things work better against bugs than they do with bots.

Last edited:
Back