Flagship Name

• Spirit of Fire

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Vigilance

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Regarding the Personalized Daemonsbane Runes, we actually have a rough idea of what each one would do for their Daemonsbane.

Kesar- Bonus against Daemons scaling with Daemonsbane tier (Noted to be a relatively small bonus at this time due to Kesar's extremely high AD score)

Oriacarius- Bonus scaling with contingencies used/created (Currently gives +6 to command)

Doom Slayer- Bonus scaling with number of Daemons killed

Solarus- Boost to explosives made

Auro- Ritual to true kill Daemons in exchange for some effect

Durante- Pseudo-narrative stealth bonus/Allows Vergil to survive if Durante puts on the Harlequin Mask by allowing the Mask to disguise their psychic signature instead of dampening it.

Orion- Bonus to training other Daemonsbanes, protos, Heroes

This is a tentative list and each Personal Rune would cost 1 Runic action to make. We could theoretically make all of them in one turn if we really wanted to and we don't have to roll for it.

Regarding the Personalized Daemonsbane Runes, we actually have a rough idea of what each one would do for their Daemonsbane.

Kesar- Bonus against Daemons scaling with Daemonsbane tier (Noted to be a relatively small bonus at this time due to Kesar's extremely high AD score)

Oriacarius- Bonus scaling with contingencies used/created (Currently gives +6 to command)

Durante- Pseudo-narrative stealth bonus/Allows Vergil to survive if Durante puts on the Harlequin Mask by allowing the Mask to disguise their psychic signature instead of dampening it.

This is a tentative list and each Personal Rune would cost 1 Runic action to make. We could theoretically make all of them in one turn if we really wanted to and we don't have to roll for it.
Very nice. Where is Maticus one?

Hello! Glad you're enjoying the quest so much to ask all this. I can answer some of these off the top of my head.
I'm glad you liked the questions
Yes we can! Although, sadly, that Exalted of Nurgle is actually not really considered a priority on the Discord server compared to Ku'Gath and Qaramar due to both of them being able to advance Kesar Dorlin's Daemonsbane in a way no other Exalted of Nurgle really can.
Darn I asked because I'm thinking about making a omake about Epitaph from its machine spirits POV and having a part where Epitaphs really salty about the Nuckelavee interrupting Kesars duel with the other exalted demon essentially co(k blocking Epitaph and causing it to lose its first opportunity at giving an exalted a true death

an opportunity which Epitaph has not gotten since then leaving Epitaph with a particular edge to grind against Nuckelavee specifically

In order to true kill Qaramar, we gotta enter their realm at the End of Time and kill him there and that realm counts for this. And 'domain' is a loose enough term that Ku'Gath himself, due to being raised up from Nurgle's greatest disease, counts as possessing the domain of disease, so killing him also counts. Meanwhile, the Nuckelavee wouldn't count for this so we don't get as much benefit.
Really? Doesn't the Nuckelavee have the old homeworld of the Goddess he ate as his domain? Does it not fit the requirements due to being won by rights of conquest rather than personally created?
Ah, no, they don't invert the general numbers everything has, what it means is the 'numbers of opponents'. Essentially in a duel (not army combat), multiple characters fighting together give a bonus which progressively gets smaller in how much more it it gives the more characters there are.

In other words, if you fight Skulltaker in a group, he gets far stronger the more people there are fighting him in a duel at once.
My God . . . His-his . . HIS A SOULSBORNE BOSS RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! JOLLY COOPERATION DOESN'T WORK ON HIM! (I'm sorry I'm tired and couldn't help myself)
Basically, wound thresholds are how much you have to roll in order to inflict a wound on a character, and this is normally a roll of 20 higher than the enemy's. Increased wound thresholds means raising that to 40 or even higher in some cases. Wound penalties basically means you roll a -10 for each wound, unless a trait negates or strengthens the effect or something like that.

Wound amounts are basically: 4 for Astartes, 4 for Eldar, 2 for normal humans (including things such as a Sister of Silence) and a varied amount for other stuff (from Orks to ships to titans etc. etc.). Primarchs naturally have 10 wounds as a baseline, and after that they need a narrative event to die (most simply, lose a roll by over a 100 after those 10 wounds).
So basically your personal combat role needs to be 20 or higher than your enemy barring unique traits right?
If so then does rolling 40 higher than your enemy mean you inflict two wounds in one turn?
is this based on the tabletop?
(And how many wounds do demons normally have?)
It was made by Ferrus and Vulkan working together, then Fulgrim helped out later on.
It's due to Fulgrim just working on the decoration of the sword, all the parts that contribute to its capabilities were made by Ferrus and Vulkan.
So that side story called The Work of Two Brothers is non Canon?
This is very complicated but, at its most basic, narrative effects are stuff that supersedes or augments mechanical stuff.

Kesar Dorlin and his Heroes all have Narrative CR (corruption resistance). That means that, no matter their mechanical CR bonuses (unless it somehow dips into the negatives by some impossibility and means we explode into Warp stuff), they cannot fall to Chaos without any narrative effect allowing that possibility. Such as watching Valhalla burn as it becomes a Daemon World for Kesar. Or a Chaos God directly kills a character and takes their soul and does whatever with it. Outside of a big narrative moment, it means that there is no corruption going to happen.

Qaramar, an Exalted Daemon of Nurgle mentioned before, is another example of a narrative power in that they have a Narrative resistance to true death. Basically, no matter what you do to this thing, it's impossible to truly kill them unless there is a narratively appropriate reason to allow it (such as enter their realm at the end of time and kill him there, nullifying any paradox or temporal resistence they have by dying outside that moment as then you're there with him).
So basically if I'm understanding this right stuff like narrative cr and Qaramars narrative resistance to true death is like getting the warp to recognize a characters what would you call it?
personal narrative/archetypal role? in the galaxy and reinforcing it requiring one to either A meet the narratives/archetypes requirements to get past it (Qaramar) or B undermine/destroy The narratives/archetypes foundation (Kesar watching Valhalla get demonized) or c be a God so strong you can just brute Force the matter
right?

The Rune List here, made by yours truly, showcases all the many, many, many different Runes and what known (and mostly unknown) effects and requirements they possess. Aside from, uh, variations of existing Runes like Daemonsbane that we haven't yet made as most of that's not fully certain for effects yet so I haven't written those down.
Oh neat Thanks for the link and um . . if I may ask what's the difference between crossing and linking runes again?
And is it possible to create a rune of amplification?

Also random thought the Grand Master rune of death says that the power of the Rune depends on our emotional or spiritual bond with the victim but . . . The description didn't say anything about the bond needing to be a positive one So would a deeply negative Bond work?
If it would . . well then . . does Kesar have anyone he really hates in particular who he can get his hands on?

Just realized something since Venus ate a shard of khaine . . . Could she actually help us with the rune of murder if we ever wanted to make it?
Customised Daemonsbane for Kesar Dorlin is absolutely possible and will provide a very powerful anti-daemon effect.

A Rune of Epitaph and a Rune of The Eternal Wardens is possible, if we fulfil the requirements.
Hum I wonder what the requirements for A Rune of Epitaph would be ?
Primal Runes, such as the Rune of Anathema, are already Incarnate by their nature and sheer power. The Rune of Daemonsbane, and any Rune we have really, can be made Incarnate if were to sink more research into doing so.
If the anathema rune is already an incarnate rune by default Why is the incarnate effect listed as its own thing
The Alpha Legion dealt with them firmly off-screen, destroying the group and looting whatever they could from them for themselves.
The cabal : we are the ancient guardians of the Galaxy and enemies of chaos we will save this galaxy by sacrificing humanity we-
The alpha legion : -Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
The cabal : NANI !?!?! (Explodes)

John Grammaticus is still at large last we heard, although anything happening with that is a big unknown right now.
I . . I think I can hear the 40k YouTuber (Live! From The Black Library) screaming in impotent rage from here

Original! Their name was made up in the Rolz room back when that was still in-use for rolling for everything.
Oh cool their fight was really fun to read
While Drach'nyen is unknown, Kesar Dorlin can wield the Black Blade of Antwyr! It'd even give him a +15 in basically everything if he had it. Problem is that nobody knows where it is or what's going on with it right now.
I don't know why but I suddenly have the mental image of Kesar trying to wield Epitaph in one hand Antwyr in the other and Drach'nyen or the emperors sword in his jaw like zoro from One piece
In order, no that was considered silly and beyond too overpowered, wow that's cool never heard of that, and that last one was brought up a few times on the Discord server. Nothing much for that beyond 'that sounds really cool and powerful' and, sadly, probably not gonna be found before the quest ends.
1 fare
2 yeah I know right? I found it while I was searching through the 40k Lexicanum because I was curious how many weapons there were that could true death demons it the Soulglaive and and one other weapon whose name I can't remember were some of the coolest weapons I found on the site
3 all I'm gonna say is at the absolute height of its power it was able to if only slightly wound slaanesh itself during her birth it is also sadly one of the few things in 40K that was outright declared non-canon
While TG answered a good chunk of your questions, I'll just answer the rest. One thing I recommend in the future is to number your questions, just because it makes it a lot easier to answer.
Oh ok I'll try to keep that in mind thanks for letting me know

They can be, although that generally just boosts the growth rate of the machine spirits. And your weapon and armor will take a while to grow.
Humm theoretically could we ask Magnus to help accelerate the process or even do it ourselves with psyker shenanigans?
You can, but it'd be a net loss of performance due to how well made Epitaph is as well as the number of daemons it has killed. While the alloys would help as well as assistance from Corvus and Magnus, it wouldn't be enough.
What about Corvus and his skeleton key could he use it to "unlock" Epitaphs potential or legend?
(Or am I grossly misunderstanding the key abilities?)

A combination of the three based on the bone in question. The skull was modified to incorporate adamantium, the longer bones had adamantium grafted, and the rest were replaced with adamantium.
Uh cool say if I may ask how do they replace their blood with so much bone marrow missing?
It varies a lot based on the weapon, armor, and rune in question
For example let's say something like a incarnate rune of anathema or a incarnate rume of demonsbane or purity on Epitaph? or even a incarnate rune of Epitaph on Epitaph?

neat ad means anti-demons right?
Though I almost expected it to be something like increases chances of more demonsbanes appearing in the eternal wardens or increases anti-demon bonus the more eternal wardens are around
Also thanks for showing me this

Last edited:
Really? Doesn't the Nuckelavee have the old homeworld of the Goddess he ate as his domain? Does it not fit the requirements due to being won by rights of conquest rather than personally created?
Sadly, while that counts as the domain of the Nuckelavee, it does not count as a Chaos God Domain. Has to be something of personal significance to a Chaos God, from their literal domains (as in their realms in the Warp) to something like the Eldar homeworld for Slaanesh, the Crystal Staff for Tzeentch (that the Blue Scribes have), made from the best disease for Nurgle (as in Ku'Gath as I said), the Forge of Souls, etc. etc. Can't just be a world that an Exalted of a Chaos God likes, it has to be more important than that.
So basically your personal combat role needs to be 20 or higher than your enemy barring unique traits right?
If so then does rolling 40 higher than your enemy mean you inflict two wounds in one turn?
is this based on the tabletop?
(And how many wounds do demons normally have?)
In order, yes, yes, no and that varies depending on the strength of the daemon. Normal Greater Daemons have 4 wounds minimum, with Great Unclean Ones typically doubling that to 8. Higher levels can have more, and a lot more for some Exalted.
Oh neat Thanks for the link and um . . if I may ask what's the difference between crossing and linking runes again?
And is it possible to create a rune of amplification?
Crossing means to combine two Runes into one, Linking means to link two Runes to work together. For some combinations this does the exact same thing, at least mechanically, but the key difference can displayed in the Crossed Rune of Fire and Ice (which we have) and the Linked Rune of Fire and Ice (which we don't yet).

Crossing the two combined the nature of fire and ice together, to make cold flames. Linking the two would have just manifested both fire and ice at the same time.

Also, probably! Surprisingly a Rune of Amplification or Amplify and such has never been asked before.
If the anathema rune is already an incarnate rune by default Why is the incarnate effect listed as its own thing
Oh, I added that in before it was learned that Primals were already Incarnate by default. I'll go and remove that then, thanks for the reminder.

neat ad means anti-demons right?
Though I almost expected it to be something like increases chances of more demonsbanes appearing in the eternal wardens or increases anti-demon bonus the more eternal wardens are around
Also thanks for showing me this

For that, I imagine it's because Kesar's Daemonsbane tiers are centered around Kesar personally stronger. Kesar in general doesn't really have many traits that boost others or that rely on others, so Kesar's Daemonsbane Rune reflects that by boosting his personal power.

If you're looking for something that increases the chances of Daemonsbanes appearing, then Orion's Daemonsbane Rune is what you would want.

Sadly, while that counts as the domain of the Nuckelavee, it does not count as a Chaos God Domain. Has to be something of personal significance to a Chaos God, from their literal domains (as in their realms in the Warp) to something like the Eldar homeworld for Slaanesh, the Crystal Staff for Tzeentch (that the Blue Scribes have), made from the best disease for Nurgle (as in Ku'Gath as I said), the Forge of Souls, etc. etc. Can't just be a world that an Exalted of a Chaos God likes, it has to be more important than that.
Oh all right make sense
In order, yes, yes, no and that varies depending on the strength of the daemon. Normal Greater Daemons have 4 wounds minimum, with Great Unclean Ones typically doubling that to 8. Higher levels can have more, and a lot more for some Exalted.
1 Seriously thank you for this explanation trying to figure this out left me more confused then a puppy in a spinning House of mirrors
2. . . um maybe it would be a good idea to add the bit about rolls and wounds to a informational so that if other people come around and get confused about this they could have an easier time about it than I did?
Crossing means to combine two Runes into one, Linking means to link two Runes to work together. For some combinations this does the exact same thing, at least mechanically, but the key difference can displayed in the Crossed Rune of Fire and Ice (which we have) and the Linked Rune of Fire and Ice (which we don't yet).

Crossing the two combined the nature of fire and ice together, to make cold flames. Linking the two would have just manifested both fire and ice at the same time.
So linking them allows multiple runes to occupy the same object and crossing them fuses them into one rune got it thanks for the help friend
. . . Also Great now I want to try crossing the will anathema daemonsbane and purity runes together or try crossing daemonsbane with it's various variants to see what happens
Also, probably! Surprisingly a Rune of Amplification or Amplify and such has never been asked before.
That . . . Would probably be a very useful rune if it could amplify our other runes even if we had to link or cross it with the others first
Oh, I added that in before it was learned that Primals were already Incarnate by default. I'll go and remove that then, thanks for the reminder.
Oh uh you're welcome though maybe it would be a good idea to add a bit of text saying that primal runes are incarnate by default so future people don't get confused why there's no incarnate versions of them

Also the description of the anathema rune says it could be boosted with a drop of the emperors blood right?
Didn't the emperor used to seal each of the early warrants of trade of the early rogue traders with a drop of his own blood? If we could get our hands on one of those early warrants would it be enough to fulfill the requirements ?

If you're looking for something that increases the chances of Daemonsbanes appearing, then Orion's Daemonsbane Rune is what you would want.
Oh dang I didn't even notice that thanks

Back