The Last Wish of the Living (Elden Ring/Soulsborne in general)

Adhoc vote count started by BlackHadou on Mar 19, 2022 at 4:59 AM, finished with 28 posts and 16 votes.

Not happy with how this went, but ah well. If I sit longer on it, then the rewrite was for naught.

10. Bloodfrost
The minutes stretched into hours. The nervousness in Milon's muscles became more and more obvious as we moved on. I did my best to ignore the scent of blood and the pot, but it was not the easiest thing to do at all.

"Thou shouldst be less sourly, dear." Ranni spoke up. I just ignored her for the moment. Milon shivered in my lap, and I wrapped my coat around him.

"Why don't you like Alexander?" He asked. I bit my lip.

"Warrior Jars devour the remains of warriors. They were made shortly after the dragon war when my kind became hunted." I answered. "We were great warriors in the war. Unable to die, able to learn to defeat foes greater then ourselves. But then the war was over and dragons were suddenly our friends."

"... I see." I was surprised Miquella didn't know the history behind the jars, but then again, he appeared to have a lot of gaps in his knowledge of the world and history. "Is that true, Renna?"

"... Yes." Ranni spoke up gently. "Tis true. Godwyn abandoned the Tarnished after securing his friendship with Fortissax. Thou knowest in passing of this. Tis what lead to the Day of Tears and the Mourning War."

"Didn't they rebel?"

"Rebel, rebel. Its easy to justify a massacre with 'but they rebelled'." I grumbled.

"This is true!" I almost jumped out of my skin as Alexander spoke up, the pot rolling beside us at honestly an unreasonable speed. "And not limited merely to the Tarnished. Why, my people were hunted and massacred for the magic of their shards. It is not terribly uncommon."

"... Magic of your… but magic is everywhere!" Milon seemed confused. I just shook my head.

"To you, maybe." I muttered. "To the rest of us mere mortals, its something we fight tooth and nail for." I patted his head absently. He was far too innocent in too many matters.

"Alas, 'tis normal for those with to not understand those without." Alexander declared. "Do you intend to simply allow them to follow us? I thought you would engage in glorious combat far sooner, sir Ashe."

"... So you noticed too." I muttered. "It's a Shura. I can't draw him in."

"Then attack first." I blinked. "You have the power."

"..."

"Thou couldst tell?" Ranni spoke up. The pot did not nod, after all, he was rolling, but his grunt indicated he had known from the get go.

"I am made up of the spirits of many warriors. They worked it out very quickly."

"..." I didn't speak up. I wasn't eager to do it. Ranni's gaze fell on me.

"We will not brook disobedience in matters of your continued health, Ashe." Ranni declared. My blood froze at the tone. "If you don't do it, you'd best have a plan."

"... I do not." I admitted. Ranni nodded.

"We will look after thy charge. Deal with the Shura." She hummed, examining her hand and the miniature ring I spied on the finger.

"Would you like a cup of tea while I'm at it?"

"Hardly. Tis thou who prefers them anyway. We shall have one waiting for thee." Ranni retorted. Milon just blinked.

"I don't get it."

"And you won't." I declared, as I pulled my mare to a stop and rolled off the side, securing Milon in the stirrups. "Keep heading north, towards the Bridge of Sacrifice. Ranni knows the way. We will catch up."

"How? You have no horse!"

"I have ways. So long as you're with Ranni, I can catch you."

"... You're scarier then the Bloody Fingers sometimes." Milon noted. I just bit my lip.

"I'd appreciate not being compared to them. Giddeup!" With a slap, the horse bolted into the distance. Alexander folded his arms beside me, as I took in a deep breath, my guiding moonlight forming in my hand.

"You care for the boy." He noted. "It speaks well of your character."

"... Am I being judged by a pot?"

"Why not, fair sir? If I believed you lacking, I would not be standing alongside you now." He declared. "No matter what you were, you have earned the hand of a maiden and loyalty of a child. Alas, no better quest could begin from such origins!"

Oh god it was worse then I thought. He was a romantic.

"... You can back out, you know. This will stain your hands." I noted. Alexander did not immediately respond, producing a finger from the lip of his lid. I flinched. I knew that finger.

"... One of your benefactors?"

"A victim, actually." Alexander declared. "But useful. He attacked our fair village. It was what convinced me to begin my quest to learn the arts of war."

It occurred to me I might not have given Alexander enough credit. Even so, I offered him me left index finger.

"Just make it quick."

I'm not sure what he pierced it with, but the sweet pain ripped through my body. It was a reminder of the addiction and the desire to kill. There were many things to say about the past, but I said to leave it dead.

It was like Bloodrose Wine. Pain, sweet pain.

"Our target is a Shura. I'm going to curse him so we get him specifically. Give me a moment." I declared.

"I didn't think that a Shura could be targeted."

"They aren't human. You need to know how or you will catch some unwitting bastard." I admitted. "I take it you've never seen a Demon of the Reeds?"

"Unfortunately I've never been."

"Then you're lucky I have. Hitch onto my curse." The rune I drew in the air in blood was oppressive. I hated even looking at it. However, in defence of my lady, there is no art I will not use. If she wishes for me to protect Milon as if he was her, then I will.

The feeling of blood and the circle of wrath shimmered, then shot forth in an orb of desolation. The sky darkened and the light of the Erdtree faded away. Alexander's exclamation of shock told me he'd never fought a Shura, merely heard the tales.

We might have been invading him, but he instinctively drew us into his bloody world of slaughter. We were the prey here, even if we also hunted him.

"How?" Alexander seemed shocked. "We invaded him, did we not? The curse inverted!"

"Shura are bloody monsters. They slaughter and kill without any regard." I answered. The blood from my finger trailed into the air and the distance, revealing where the Shura was. He wasn't far. "For a bastard with no horse…"

"He has a steed." Alexander interrupted. I swore.

"I just sent ours away!" I growled. "Dammit…" I considered summoning Adula to me on the spot. This could end poorly. I let out a long breath, hefting my sword and pointing it to the distance. "He's coming."

"What is the plan?"

"I'm going to crush his horse." I answer. "Get behind me. I'll need a moment afterwards before I can move again." The blade of my moonlight began to shimmer and freeze. My body was already refusing to move. It was a wish to a star that would grant salvation, as I began to lift my blade.

I could see the beast of blood thundering in the distance before it arrived, like a crimson shadow that had shot out of the clouds. The ground, the grass, the trees began to frost, and the air clouded as little petals of red snow began to drop.

One swing. This would decide the battle immediately.

"Three… two… one…" And so, as I caught sight of the ronin, wrapped in the garbs of blood and a notched, cracked katana in hand, I swung.

Ice erupted. I heard the screams of a dying horse mixed with the screams of a human being. My body was numb except for the shards of pain erupting from me. It was a long moment before it registered the screams were mine, as the ice that erupted from my veins evaporated. I could hear the beginning of combat, but I was in no shape to even stand for the longest moment.

My hand forced the Flask of Celestial Tears to my lips and I drank deep of it. I would regret this tonight. I'd need an actual meal now. My wounds healed and my vigor returned, my eyes tearing open as I finally gazed upon the battlefield.

"Haaaaaargh!" I blinked, forcing myself to my feet as Alexander caught the Shura's katana between his hands. Iron Fist indeed. It was a moment later that I realised I'd given the Shura perhaps too little credit.

For starters, the Shura was a she. Secondly, her horn, now that the straw hat she'd worn had ripped away, was cleaved in two and leaking marrow. That she was still alive was entirely too terrifying to initially comprehend.

I also didn't recognise her.

"She isn't the bastard from the flotilla!?" I hissed under my breath. The Shura spun, kicking off the pot as she spun in the air. Her blade was only slightly curved. The hilt was cleaved.

No, it wasn't originally a katana. It was a polesword. She had the other half wrapped by her side.

"Shit." I shot forward. Her hand went for the wrapped blade, ripping it free of cloth and shredding it as blood spiraled around its edge. Alexander would likely be killed if that hit her.

She lunged and stabbed. I spun, using the momentum and the nature of moonlight to increase my reach. The cold ray of moonlight ripped through the air, freezing it, as blood and frost crashed into each other with a satisfying crunch.

I couldn't help but grin like a dog as her sword folded and shattered under the weight of moonlight.

"Thank you." Alexander's voice was soft, hoarse, as he breathed deep of frozen, blood-drenched air. "She almost poached me."

"Don't get too happy." I hissed, hefting my blade as the Shura circled us. Her broken katana, unfortunately, was already drawing its shards back to it in trails of blood. "Well. Crap."

"That… is not a normal technique." Alexander conquered. Her demonic eyes glowed yellow in the din, and natural light was quickly fleeing. If we didn't win very fast, we'd be rendered unable to see.

"Tell me you have a pyromancer in there."

"I do."

"Good. Ignite everything."

"But I could-"

"I'm collateral! Do it!" I lunged. The Shura's lips twisted into a demonic smile as she swayed out of the way of moonlight's wide slash, spinning and dashing in what should have been far too close. My lips twisted in sadistic glee as I swiped back.

She didn't realise my guiding moonlight was weightless. I clipped her side as I parried her blade, catching her on the edge of my blade and flinging her into the air. She spun, flipped and landed like a thrice damned cat.

I couldn't see her form. Just her eyes. I made a guess based on where they were and flicked my hand. A glacier erupted from the earth. There was no blood.

Missed.

"O Flames! Cleanse the wicked!" Alexander's cry was music to my ears as a fireball flew into the fray, exploding in brilliant amber light. I could see again, dashing through the flames and letting my form catch fire. The heat eased the pain of the frost seeping into my blood.

The Shura started cackling as she dashed forward. Our swords crashed. Her katana cracked and shattered under the weight and I cleaved her side.

I swung again. She ducked under it.

I swung again. My blade stopped. It took me a moment to shut my mouth, her hands planted tight together. Moonlight was between them, her hands blackening as frostbite struck.

"What does it take to kill you!" I screamed. I poured my arcana into my blade and it exploded in light. We both went flying apart, crashing and skidding along the ground. Everything hurt. Everything hurt so much.

"O Flames! Devour the hateful!" I could hear the sound of a pot rolling along the ground. Looking up, Alexander had become a ball of ravenous fire as he rolled at the Shura. Yellow eyes betrayed a grin as she stood, clothes frayed, burned and ripped and exposed flesh blackened and dead.

She would not stop until she had been annihilated.

[ ] Push the attack. You just had to last a little longer before the frostbite takes its toll.
[ ] Call upon the dragons oath. You needed to destroy her entirely. Adula had the means.
[ ] … Not another Invader!

[X] Push the attack. You just had to last a little longer before the frostbite takes its toll.

I wonder how long the Taxes meme is going to last. ANYWAY

First off, Try Dung
Then, Seek Death

[X] Push the attack. You just had to last a little longer before the frostbite takes its toll.

[X] … Not another Invader!

Honestly this fight so far has been metal as fuck, and Ashe's unseemly past is intriguing. I'm itching to see what happens when another hunter enters the fray - friend, foe, or a convenient distraction?

I have to wonder, what the hell did Ashe do to piss off the Reedlanders so much that even the ones he never met are venturing into foreign countries to try and kill his ass?

Not looking forward to pissing off the dragon, mostly because it could destroy the jar. On the other hand, Alexander could eats us after we die. Hum.

Something worth noting: even if the Shura's demonic bloodlust inverts invasions targeted at it, with shadow curse narrowing the invasion target down to one person, joining in requires that one not just be able to join an invasion in general, but that they know how to target a Shura through their bloodlust inversion as well. And if this Shura turning out to be a complete stranger is any indication, that one guy from the flotilla is far from being the only Reedlander with an agenda in the area.

Last edited:

Kill kill kill kill kill

We wouldn't be able to kill the second invader, so they'd need to remain alive, and I... don't really feel like that right now? Like, I could produce reasons, giving another Shura after us a nice tutorial of how we fight, or Ashe being bloodthirsty enough right now to solidify enemies, but really, I just feel like killing.

Also, don't wanna summon Adula because the bastard'd hold this over us for decades.

We wouldn't be able to kill the second invader, so they'd need to remain alive
It's not as if Ashe is going to survive regardless of what option he picks, either. At least the jar's enough of a romantic he won't try to eat Ashe after the matter. Probably. So being a Tarnished works in his favor.

He's not that mean.

Maybe a few months...

How long is a month to a dragon?
The mandatory minimum time between needing to blink its eyelids :V

Save that one for the festival :V

No need for one… when we can get our own!

THE GOLDEN MEETOUR ASS STRAT!
"Golden Slam: Skill of the avatars who protect Minor Erdtrees. Jump up high into the air and crash down on the ground ahead. The resulting pratfall sends golden shockwaves in all directions."

Get to the Erdtree Avatar north of the 2nd Church of Marika, have our pot consume the Erdtree avatar's corpse there. Not sure if the scarab trick works at this time for Ashe to use though.

Still, one golden posterior pot fall can assuredly cause enough of a shock for Ashe to stab his victims true.

THE COLD NEVER BOTHERED ME ANYWAY!

Still, one golden posterior pot fall can assuredly cause enough of a shock for Ashe to stab his victims true.

Or you know... Alexander would spill his contents everywhere and die since he's a pot that just slammed itself on the ground at hihg speeds.

Plus y'know, the fact that there's probably not a warrior inside that's killed an Erdtree Avatar in there... since y'know. That'd be kinda heresy.

Or you know... Alexander would spill his contents everywhere and die since he's a pot that just slammed itself on the ground at hihg speeds.

He just needs more posterior padding is all! A Shura in the bum can make a difference in the long run.

Plus y'know, the fact that there's probably not a warrior inside that's killed an Erdtree Avatar in there... since y'know. That'd be kinda heresy.

Isn't what we're doing heretical enough?

If not, well… there's a first time for everything. There's the first time man cracked an egg and fried it, and then there's a first time a Pot swollowed an Erdtree Avatar.

Back