The Finger Goddess
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Mai finds herself burdened with a unique task: aiding powerful men in achieving breakthroughs through a mysterious system. With a mere touch of her fingers, she propels them to new heights of power, but at a cost she never anticipated—each success steals a year of her life, leaving her perpetually younger. Initially viewing this as a boon, Mai soon realizes the toll it takes as she regresses mentally and emotionally. Faced with the grim realization that she's on a path to premature death, she embarks on a desperate quest for a solution. She sets out to cultivate her way to salvation, all while wrestling with the weight of her choices and the mysteries of her own existence.

*It's on purpose the writing style is childish. I would love to have your feedback*

Cover Artist: Yuu
Last edited:
1. When Curse Becomes a Blessing
Synopsis

Mai finds herself burdened with a unique task: aiding powerful men in achieving breakthroughs through a mysterious system. With a mere touch of her fingers, she propels them to new heights of power, but at a cost she never anticipated—each success steals a year of her life, leaving her perpetually younger. Initially viewing this as a boon, Mai soon realizes the toll it takes as she regresses mentally and emotionally. Faced with the grim realization that she's on a path to premature death, she embarks on a desperate quest for a solution. She sets out to cultivate her way to salvation, all while wrestling with the weight of her choices and the mysteries of her own existence.
*It's on purpose the writing style is childish. I would love to have your feedback*

1. When Curse Becomes a Blessing

In a large bustling city where cars roared and the haze resembled a thick layer of ash, there lived a young woman. Her name was Mai. She was a cheerful woman, though her days were often spent pondering over the challenges life had thrown her way. With a lively imagination, she often dreamed of escaping into a fantasy world. According to a fortune teller, her spirit animal was an eagle.

"If I could be reborn, I would be an eagle so I could fly," she mused aloud one day. "And if only Kenta could join me, it would be perfect."

Kenta, her dog, a Shiba Inu, had been spoiled a bit too much, but he remained her unwavering companion—the one star in her world who never criticized her and was always there as a true friend. In a country where societal expectations loomed large, Mai struggled to measure up. She no longer saw her parents, and her sister had relocated to warmer climes. Loneliness enveloped her, and only Kenta managed to fill some of the void.

One morning, as Mai stirred awake in her bed, a breathtakingly beautiful fairy suddenly materialized before her. Draped in a long, white dress as pure as snow, she hovered above the bed, radiating an ethereal glow. The fairy's hair cascaded down her back like strands of spaghetti, glistening in a shade reminiscent of buttercups in the height of July. Sprouting from her back were a pair of majestic butterfly wings, their silver hue speckled with glitter, reminiscent of shooting stars on a clear night sky.

Mai was awestruck by the fairy's beauty, rendered speechless. However, the fairy's gentle smile, akin to a blooming flower, put her at ease. A warmth spread through Mai's cheeks as she returned the smile, feeling a newfound sense of comfort within herself. It was then that Mai noticed a small white wand clutched in the fairy's left hand, no bigger than a chopstick.

Filled with curiosity and surprise, she spoke, "Miss Fairy, welcome to my humble abode. I have nothing of great value to offer, but I would be honored to prepare some tea for you."

The fairy graciously accepted the tea, and as they sat together, savoring the warm brew, Mai couldn't help but steal glances at the wand in the fairy's hand.

Suddenly, the fairy set down her delicate teacup, her smile unwavering as she regarded Mai.

"Miss, I was not expecting such hospitality, and you have pleasantly surprised me. Is it rosehip, green tea, and quince that I taste? It's wonderfully mild, reminiscent of my youth. Oh, if only I could relive those days." she sighed wistfully, her smile tinged with melancholy.

Mai felt a pang of guilt. Her intention had been to bring joy, not sorrow, with her tea. She wondered if she had made a misstep.

"I'm sorry, miss fairy. But I fear I have nothing else to offer that befits your esteemed presence."

The fairy's kind smile returned, and she noticed Kenta sitting nearby, gazing at her with his almond-shaped eyes, brown as hazelnuts.

"Is this your faithful companion?" she inquired. "He seems sweet and loyal."

Mai affirmed that Kenta was indeed her dearest friend, for whom she held unwavering loyalty.

The fairy chuckled softly, then pointed her wand at Mai.

"My time is fleeting, and I require your assistance," she declared, her tone grave. "You must take up my mantle."

Mai's mind raced with questions. What did the fairy's request entail? Would it lead her to a new life, perhaps in a fantastical realm? But as she beheld the sorrow etched upon the fairy's face, she hesitated.

"Should I accept, my life will dim much like yours," Mai countered, her resolve firm. "I must decline your offer, miss fairy."

Despite her hardships, Mai harbored dreams of her own—of love, of family.

The fairy's expression darkened, and she rose to her feet, pointing her wand at Mai with a forceful gesture. A deafening roar filled the room as it convulsed, furniture trembling, and a cherished Ming vase crashing to the ground.

"You have no choice," the fairy proclaimed sternly. "I have chosen you, and you will obey. For spurning me, you are hereby cursed."

Mai's fear intensified as her body trembled uncontrollably, every fiber of her being vibrating with terror. With a flick of her wand, the fairy traced a large circle in the air, conjuring a ring of white smoke that hurtled towards Mai. Paralyzed by shock, Mai felt rooted to the spot, her legs like lead, her heart hammering against her chest.

Terrified of what might come next, Mai found solace in Kenta's sudden presence as he leaped onto the table, causing her teacup to spill. Gathering her resolve, she clung tightly to her faithful companion, her eyes fixed on the approaching smoke ring. In an instant, a colossal smoke hand, resembling the paw of a lion, surged forth, seizing her by the throat and dragging her into the swirling vortex.

Darkness enveloped Mai as she was whisked away, the void devoid of sound or light, leaving her feeling cold and isolated. Yet, amidst the emptiness, she felt a soft presence before her—it was Kenta, her loyal companion, accompanying her into the unknown. Relief washed over her, and she offered a grateful smile.

"Thank you, Kenta, for being by my side."

A radiant flash caught her attention, morphing into a luminous white door. Curiosity piqued, she ventured forth, Kenta nestled in her arms. Though the door seemed mere seconds away, the journey stretched on endlessly, time slipping through her grasp.

Finally reaching the door, Mai extended her hand towards it, her excitement palpable. Heart racing, she pressed onward, eager for what lay beyond.

"Where will you take me, Mr. Door?" she mused aloud, her hand brushing against the cool surface. As she made contact, a gentle breeze enveloped her, teasing her senses and eliciting laughter.

With a gentle nudge from the wind, Mai stepped through the doorway, embarking on an adventure into the unknown.

Mai found herself in an enchanted forest where birds sang melodious tunes and insects hummed in harmony with the gentle breeze that caressed the towering white treetops, each leaf resembling a glistening jewel. Inhaling deeply, she was greeted by the delightful fragrance of blooming flora, as if every flower and plant had burst into full blossom. Dandelions swelled to the size of plums, while colorful poppies swayed gracefully, their dance mirrored by the rustling leaves.

Ancient oak trees stood sentinel, their massive crowns stretching towards the heavens, adorned with vibrant parrots exchanging cheerful melodies. Above, the sky stretched clear and boundless, offering a breathtaking view of the cosmos. Bathed in the sun's warm embrace, Mai couldn't help but smile, savoring the fleeting moment of tranquility.

Her reverie was interrupted by the sudden appearance of a large rectangular golden hologram, hovering silently before her. Startled yet intrigued, Mai cautiously reached out, her hand passing effortlessly through the hologram. A surge of anticipation coursed through her as she retrieved a small, dark wooden staff, reminiscent of the one wielded by the fairy.

"Could this be the fairy's staff?" Mai wondered aloud, dismissing the notion.

After all, the fairy had cursed her before sending her to this mysterious realm.

Regardless, she recognized the gift before her as an opportunity—a chance to seize control of her destiny. With a mischievous grin, she gently squeezed the staff, expressing her gratitude to its unknown benefactor.

To her surprise, floating script materialized above her hand, revealing the staff's capabilities:

Avari's Elemental Staff:
Life Point: 100/100
Fire Attack
Earth Attack
Water Attack
Wind Attack

Quick to grasp the situation, Mai understood that the staff was fully charged and ready for use. Eager to test its powers, she pondered the method of activation.

Drawing inspiration from tales of magic, she conjured an image of a fiery sphere in her mind and uttered the incantation, "Fire Ball."

As Mai attempted to summon forth the power of the staff, small red sparks flickered like candle flames, but they failed to ignite the desired spell. Undeterred by initial setbacks, Mai persisted, yet each subsequent attempt yielded no results. Despite her relentless determination, the staff's Life Points dwindled with each futile effort.

Life Point: 93/100

"So, casting a spell consumes Life Points." She mused, noting the decrease in the staff's vitality with a deep sigh.

Resolving to conserve the staff's remaining energy for another time, Mai turned her attention to exploring her surroundings. In the distance, she spotted a sprawling city with gleaming white buildings, beckoning her with the promise of answers. Descending from her vantage point onto a well-lit path of smooth sandstone, Mai ventured towards the city, anticipation coursing through her veins.

However, her progress was abruptly halted by the piercing wail of an alarm emanating from the still-hovering hologram. Its crimson hue forewarned of imminent danger, sending tremors of fear through her trembling hands. Yet, fueled by curiosity, she tentatively reached into the hologram, retrieving a bundle of garments topped by a radiant pearl glistening in the sunlight.

As Mai touched the pearl, it transformed before her eyes into a pair of magnificent white butterfly wings with pointed edges, reminiscent of a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly. Although plagued by a fear of butterflies, Mai's fascination was piqued by the bold golden text that materialized above the wings:

"Wings of Lust."

Despite her father's warnings that nothing in life comes without a price, Mai hesitated only briefly before accepting the enigmatic gift. With a touch, the wings melded into her being, warmth spreading across her shoulders and back. A sensation of tickling ensued, followed by the unmistakable sound of wings unfurling.

Touching her back, Mai felt the softness of the wings, akin to the finest silk or rabbit fur. Overwhelmed with joy, she traced her fingers along the delicate contours, marveling at the surreal experience.

"I must be dreaming," Mai whispered in wonderment. "And if so, I never want to wake."

Mai carefully examined the pile of clothes before her, noting three elegant robes reminiscent of those found in the xianxia novels she had avidly read. With delicate cherry blossom embroideries adorning the collars, two robes were pristine white, while the third boasted a subtle shade of pink. Accompanying them were a pair of black ballerina-like shoes, completing the ensemble.

"This attire resembles something from the xianxia novels." Mai remarked with excitement, slipping into the robes.

As she fastened the belt around her waist, a sense of anticipation bubbled within her, regretting the absence of a mirror to admire her transformation.

Her attention was soon drawn to a glimmer amidst the grass—a golden hairpin with a white hair tie. Securing her hair into a neat bun, she adorned it with the hairpin, taming stray strands with finesse.

Suddenly, the magical staff underwent a startling transformation, morphing into a long golden rod with a chalk-white sword blade at one end. Intricate golden strands spiraled from the hilt, coalescing into a golden flower. As if materializing from thin air, a pink silk ribbon wrapped around Mai's index finger, forming a small scabbard for the sword.

Dumbfounded by the sudden turn of events, Mai examined the newly formed dagger in her hand, its purpose unclear.

"Is this a dagger?" she pondered aloud, perplexed by the enigmatic gift.

As the hologram dissipated, she felt her wings vanish, leaving her bewildered.

"Why did my wings disappear? Were they merely an illusion?" she wondered, her confidence wavering.

Nevertheless, armed with the dagger and accompanied by Kenta, Mai strode towards the city, a mix of nerves and excitement coursing through her veins. As she hummed a tune and skipped along the road, anticipation brimmed within her, akin to a child on the cusp of unwrapping presents on Christmas morning.

However, fate had other plans for Mai, as a large butterfly suddenly alighted on her hand. With thick, moth-like wings and golden dust fluttering from its flaps, the creature gazed at her with longing, its furry body radiating loneliness.

Startled, Mai attempted to shoo the butterfly away, only to find it stubbornly clinging to her hand, its feet mysteriously adhered. Her unease deepened as she noticed a long, thick proboscis extending from its face, mistaking it for a mosquito rather than a butterfly.

As the dagger made contact with the butterfly, it fluttered away, casting a parting glance at Mai before disappearing from sight. However, Mai felt a sharp sting at the spot where the butterfly had struck, akin to ants crawling over her skin. Alarmed, she inspected the area, discovering a small black dot that rapidly expanded, eliciting a drop of blood. To her surprise, golden text materialized in front of each of her fingers, prompting her curiosity.

Perplexed, Mai examined her pinky finger first:

"Pinky Finger:
Skill: Clear Mind
Makes one see everything clearer"

Muttering the words "Clear Mind," Mai experienced a sudden surge of clarity, as if a cool breeze had swept through her mind, sharpening her senses. The grass appeared lusher, insects more intricate in detail, painting the world with newfound vividness.

Moving on to her ring finger:

"Ring Finger:
Skill: Cupid Call
Activate emotions"

As she activated the skill, a warm breeze enveloped her, igniting a flurry of emotions within her heart. Laughter bubbled from within, yet a pang of loneliness tugged at her, yearning for companionship.

Next, her middle finger:

"Middle Finger:
Skill: Avari's Cloak
Activates a protective shield"

A comforting warmth emanated from her middle finger, manifesting into a shimmering golden beam that coalesced into a protective shield. Intrigued, Mai reached out, feeling the delightful warmth of its embrace.

Turning to her index finger:

"Index Finger:
Skill: Fairy Dust
Enhance other abilities
Stand alone"

A delightful warmth enveloped her index finger, accompanied by a gentle tickle as golden dust swirled around it. Experimenting with the newfound ability, Mai aimed the dust at a nearby tree, witnessing its explosive effect that left the area charred and barren.

Finally, her thumb:

"Thumb:
Skill: Almighty
Pure destructive"

A searing heat emanated from her thumb, enveloped by red dust that swirled ominously. With a gesture, Mai unleashed its power, witnessing a spectacular display of destruction as the trees surrounding her were consumed by flames, leaving nothing but silence in their wake.

Mai marveled at the discovery that the abilities were mirrored on both hands, a realization that filled her with excitement and anticipation. With avaricious eyes, she contemplated the possibilities that lay ahead.

"Perhaps these abilities could pave the way for a new beginning." she mused, her heart swelling with hope.

Her previous life had been fraught with hardship, a chapter she was eager to leave behind. Setting her sights on the city before her, Mai harbored dreams of prosperity and, perhaps, even love.

However, one crucial question lingered in her mind: Where exactly was she in this strange new world?

Determined to unravel the mystery of her whereabouts, she set forth towards the city.

Last edited:
2. Unlocking the Little Finger
The entrance to the city loomed ahead, a grand gate flanked by a towering, somber brick wall that enveloped it, shielding the populace from external threats. Clad in black cloaks reminiscent of Mai's own, men stood sentinel, their attire ranging from crimson leather armor to spear-bearing guards. This duty was reserved solely for men, deemed unfit for the delicate sensibilities of women. They vigilantly oversaw the ebb and flow of individuals traversing the city's threshold from their perches atop numerous lookout towers. An aura of menace enveloped them, yet they remained inert unless provoked by transgressions against the city's laws.

Approaching the entrance, Mai encountered a sizable contingent of guards, their gaze inquisitive as they scrutinized her. She half-expected to be detained, fearing their scrutiny of her canine companion might lead to accusations of harboring contagion. Yet, to her astonishment, they delved into her background, peppering her with questions about her origins and identity. Their keen interest unsettled her, bordering on intrusive. Mai felt discomfited, unease gnawing at her as she struggled to evade their inquiries, mindful of her father's admonition against divulging too much in unfamiliar environs. Attempting to disengage from their scrutiny proved futile; their unwavering gaze felt like an oppressive weight upon her.

Suddenly, one guard closed the distance, his proximity disconcerting as his breath assaulted her senses. Trapped in his gaze, Mai's discomfort heightened, averting her eyes to avoid his penetrating stare.

His words cut through the tension. "Miss, welcome to Sunny City. You don't seem to be from around here. There's an entrance fee to enter the city."

Panic gripped Mai; devoid of coinage, she fumbled nervously, her fingers slick with perspiration. Before she could respond, another guard intervened, observing her distress, and proposing an alternative: accompanying them to bypass the queue.

Surveying the lengthy procession of camels snaking towards the city, Mai acquiesced reluctantly, wary of their ulterior motives.

"May I inquire, gentlemen, as to the nature of 'company' in this context?" Mai ventured, her curiosity piqued.

A guard bestowed upon her a benevolent smile, his tone gentle as he explained, "It simply entails joining us for tea at the Lotus Garden."

His reassurance resonated with Mai, prompting her to graciously accept the invitation. As they proceeded towards the city, she noted the presence of nine guards accompanying her, prompting speculation as to the reason for such numbers. Perhaps they sought camaraderie in their solitude, she mused empathetically.

Welcomed by a melange of spices and the tantalizing aroma of exotic fruits, Mai's senses were assailed by the sizzle of a wok, the fragrance of sautéed spring onions and garlic wafting through the air.

The guards momentarily left her to attend to their duties, granting her a moment to marvel at the towering edifices that adorned the cityscape, their majestic presence illuminated by the radiant sunlight. Horse-drawn carts, varying in design from simple to ornate, traversed the bustling streets, while men, women, and children garbed in vibrant robes bustled about. Persistent offers of dinner and city tours peppered Mai's surroundings, all of which she declined in deference to her prior engagement with the guards, mindful of the consequences of transgression.

Lost in observation, Mai was suddenly jolted by the appearance of bold golden script before her. Casting a wary glance around, she realized that the text remained unnoticed by others, their attention solely fixated upon her. Relief washed over her as she scrutinized the words, furrowing her brows at their significance.

"Help the Military Strategist's son, Li Sheng, achieve breakthrough."

In the realm of Xianxia, cultivators sought ascension through breakthroughs akin to surmounting impenetrable barriers. Qi, the mystical energy permeating the world, served as their conduit to strength and enlightenment, manifesting in the wind's caress, the sun's warmth, and the harmonious laughter of nature. Mastery of qi required adeptness in martial arts or the arcane arts, both paths promising empowerment through discipline and skill.

As cultivators honed their skills and ascended in strength, they traversed distinct stages of cultivation akin to nurturing a seed into a thriving plant. They laid the groundwork, akin to sowing the seed, then cultivated an inner core, a radiant beacon illuminating their path.

With each stage achieved, cultivators unlocked new abilities and profound insights. They moved with the swiftness of deer, struck with the fury of thunderstorms, and possessed the healing touch to mend wounds. Yet, paramount to their growth was their attunement to the natural world, safeguarding its balance and aiding those in need.

Despite poring over the text repeatedly, Mai realized her inability to cultivate, though her desire to learn remained fervent.

"Could the guards impart such knowledge?" she pondered.

Kind and inviting, the guards had extended an invitation for tea at the Lotus Garden, a prospect Mai eagerly anticipated. Fond of lotuses for their purity and innocence, though partial to lilies herself, she harbored excitement at the thought.

Upon their return, the guards donned pristine white robes, a stark departure from their earlier attire. Their collective allure exuded an aura of innocence and power, their unwavering gazes unsettling Mai, whose hunger manifested audibly. Though a succulent steak beckoned, the guards' offer extended only to tea, eliciting a resigned sigh as they embarked for the Lotus Garden.

One guard, sporting a charming smile, addressed her with a tinge of melancholy.

"Miss, you neglected to share your name earlier." he lamented.

Mai hesitated, wary of divulging her identity to strangers, recalling her badminton teacher's advice: names were earned, not freely given.

"Gentlemen, you may call me Ming if it is imperative." she replied, extending a genial smile.

Unbeknownst to her, this name would bear unforeseen consequences in the future.

In the guards' eyes, she embodied a fairytale princess—petite and winsome, radiating innocence and maturity simultaneously and enthralled, they found themselves unable to avert their gaze.

The Lotus Garden unfolded before them, a verdant pavilion nestled amidst a serene pond adorned with blooming lotuses. Resplendent flowers adorned every corner, their fragrant perfume permeating the air. Cherry trees, adorned with colossal blossoms resembling roses in a vibrant shade of pink tinged with purple, captivated Mai's gaze. Bewildered by their untimely bloom—reserved for spring—she pondered this anomaly, recalling the summer blooms of dandelions and poppies in the enchanted forest.

"This is truly enchanting, gentlemen." She remarked as they crossed the threshold into a grand red wooden edifice crowned with a sweeping black Chinese roof.

The interior boasted spacious chambers, each accommodating numerous guests ensconced in their own conversations, their laughter mingling with the ambient buzz. It was evidently a favored haunt for revelry, heightening Mai's anticipation for the forthcoming tea experience.

Seated in a lavishly adorned room, Mai found herself at a large round wooden table adorned with an array of intricately crafted pastries resembling delicate flowers—daisies, lotuses, and roses. A sizable black teapot accompanied by dainty porcelain cups adorned with lotus motifs awaited her touch. As she cradled a cup, she couldn't shake the sensation of holding a lotus, eliciting a smile of wonder.

Amidst casual conversation, the guards probed about Mai's background, though she skirted around divulging detailed information. Amidst their inquiries, Mai's mind echoed with her mission: aiding Li Sheng in his breakthrough.

"Do any of you know a man named Li Sheng?" she ventured.

A guard's brow furrowed, casting a momentary hush over the room.

Mai's nerves intensified, her hand trembling as she inadvertently grasped her teacup, the scalding liquid searing her skin.

"There is but one Li Sheng among us. Master Li Sheng is renowned by all. Why do you inquire about him?" the guard queried, prompting Mai's attempt to alleviate suspicion by commenting on his reputed prowess.

As she set down her teacup, the sting of the scald persisted, her reddened hands betraying her discomfort.

A pang of longing for Kenta tugged at Mai's heart, his absence keenly felt in this moment of unease. Requesting a moment alone to collect herself, she hurriedly excused herself. Though met with skepticism, her plea was accepted, affording her a swift departure from the Lotus Garden. Unbeknownst to her, she brushed past Li Sheng, who sat in a secluded alcove with his companions. His gaze lingered on her retreating form, a flicker of intrigue igniting within him.

Li Sheng, a striking and unmarried young man, dedicated his life to achieving unparalleled strength, driven by his singular ambition to claim the title of the world's strongest. His upbringing under the stern tutelage of his father instilled in him a sense of duty towards inheriting his father's esteemed position, a prospect he anticipated with fervor. Immersed in relentless training, he had long forsaken the allure of feminine beauty, until Mai's fleeting presence reignited his awareness.

Observing Mai's hurried passage, her perspiration glistening against fair skin flushed with exertion, Li Sheng found himself drawn to her aura of nervous excitement. A radiant smile graced his lips as he admired the subtle curve of her neck, noting the presence of a prominent mole—a distinctive feature reminiscent of a blossoming lotus, his favored flower.

Engrossed in his reverie, Li Sheng's best friend Yao interrupted, "Brother Sheng, are you even following our conversation?"

With a resigned sigh, Li Sheng gestured to summon a servant, intending to settle their bill. His friends, typically frugal, insisted on covering the expense, a departure from their usual behavior that piqued Li Sheng's curiosity. Accepting their generosity with a playful grin, he promised to reciprocate on their next visit to the Lotus Garden, a daily ritual they shared.

As Li Sheng hastened towards the exit, his friends exchanged knowing glances, their lips curling mischievously.

"Brother Yao, did you notice how Brother Sheng couldn't tear his eyes away from her?" one friend remarked, his tone laced with amusement.

Yao, however, remained contemplative, dismissing Mai's allure as inconsequential to Li Sheng's preferences.

"Brother Sheng finds amusement only in subservience. Pity for the woman." he mused, shaking his head before returning his attention to his tea.

Yet, his gaze lingered on the departing figure of Li Sheng, a wry smile playing on his lips.

"Will the cat chase the mouse?" he mused, chuckling softly at the thought.

In Hanzhong, the central continent, only one woman had managed to captivate Brother Sheng's attention—a fact that intrigued Yao as he contemplated the dynamics unfolding in the southern continent. Anticipation stirred within him as he awaited the outcome of this unexpected encounter.

"Perhaps the mouse will outwit the cat. Now that would be entertaining." He mused aloud, his gaze drifting to his friends as an idea took shape in his mind.

A mischievous gleam danced in his eyes as he proposed a wager.

"Brothers. Let's make a bet. The winner gets my best artifact. The loser gives me double."

His companions, drawn by the allure of competition, readily accepted the challenge, eager to test their fortunes.

Meanwhile, Mai found herself navigating the unfamiliar streets, her discomfort palpable amidst the curious gazes of onlookers. Struggling to comprehend their scrutiny, she questioned the source of their fascination—her attire, her perspiration, or perhaps both. A quick self-assessment revealed the source of her embarrassment: the pungent odor of sour sweat emanating from her underarm.

"I smell worse than a pig. Perhaps a bath is in order." she lamented, keenly aware of her predicament.

Armed only with her dagger, Kenta, and her Finger System, she attempted to conjure wealth to no avail, her fear of the dark further complicating matters.

Desperate for shelter, Mai canvassed the town for opportunities to lend her assistance, only to face rejection after rejection. Curiously, it was the women who spurned her aid, leaving Mai perplexed by their aversion. Struggling to understand the dynamics of this unfamiliar society, she resolved to avoid male-dominated environments, recognizing her discomfort in the presence of numerous guards.

Traditional occupations abounded, from blacksmiths to woodcarvers, each steeped in antiquity and shunning modernity. Despite possessing talents in creativity, music, and culinary arts, Mai encountered barriers to entry, thwarted by the prerequisite of recommendations or experience.

Undeterred by her setbacks, Mai persevered until the oppressive heat of the late afternoon weighed heavily upon her. With no refuge in sight, she contemplated the prospect of seeking shelter with the guards—an option she fervently hoped to avoid. Yet, her quest also entailed locating Li Sheng, a task she deemed feasible given his prominence in the community.

Entering a quaint street kitchen, Mai encountered immediate rejection from the proprietor, who dismissed her without a second thought. However, her fortunes shifted when the woman's husband intervened, extending a warm welcome and acknowledging the need for additional help in managing their bustling household.

Grateful for the opportunity despite her aversion to children, Mai agreed to assist with cooking, securing lodging in a secluded room on the premises. Though she opted to keep Kenta confined due to his apprehension around children, the secluded garden setting provided a sanctuary for both Mai and her faithful companion.

As dusk descended, Mai found herself contemplating her next steps in the garden. Suddenly, a golden hologram materialized before her, revealing a pouch containing intriguing green and white glass stones. Upon touching them, she discovered their true nature: jade stones imbued with mystical properties.

Fascinated by her discovery, Mai delved deeper, uncovering the essence of each stone—the Ying Stone, associated with vitality and healing, and its counterpart, the Yang Stone, renowned for enhancing martial prowess and cultivation techniques. Recognizing the inherent duality of Yin and Yang in Chinese culture, Mai pondered the implications of these newfound artifacts.

Experimenting with the stones, Mai harnessed their power to augment her magical staff, manipulating her Life Points with precision. Curiosity piqued, she entertained the notion of combining the Yin and Yang stones, eager to unlock their full potential and discern their applicability to her unique circumstances as a woman in a realm dominated by traditional gender roles.

Taking a Yang stone into her right hand, Mai marveled at its clarity and warmth, its surface reflecting her own image—a phenomenon she found perplexing yet captivating. As she rubbed the stone, it liquefied and permeated her palm, suffusing her with a comforting sensation that enveloped her entire being. Encouraged by this experience, she repeated the process with a Ying stone, eliciting a similar response.

A bold golden text materialized over her hand, detailing newfound abilities granted by the stones.

Littlefinger:
Detoxify Activated: Can detoxify poison and impurities

Mai's excitement surged, her heart racing as she emptied the pouch, revealing a total of 97 stones. However, her elation was short-lived as the pouch inexplicably vanished, leaving her perplexed about how to transport the stones.

Undeterred, Mai entertained the notion of absorbing more stones to unlock additional skills.

Littlefinger:

Detoxify Activated: Can detoxify poison and impurities

Purify Activated: Can purify malevolent spirits

Heal Activated: Can heal wounds

Yet, her enthusiasm quickly waned as she experienced sudden chest pain and difficulty breathing upon squeezing another pair of stones. Recoiling in fear, she released the stones, relieved as the pain subsided.

Haunted by the prospect of the stones posing a lethal threat, Mai grappled with fear and uncertainty. Wrapping the stones in layers of silk, she contemplated her next move, her little finger adorned with newfound abilities but overshadowed by trepidation.

Little finger:
Detoxify Activated
Purify Activated
Heal Activated

Resolute yet wary, Mai acknowledged the gravity of her situation, realizing that the stones, once perceived as a blessing, now harbored potential danger. With a heavy heart, she confronted the unsettling reality that not all gifts were benevolent, leaving her to navigate the complexities of her newfound powers with caution and apprehension.

Last edited:
3. Becoming a White Cultivator
* I went back to mature writing style!*

In the following days, Mai dedicated herself to acquainting with the city and its surroundings, preparing herself for future solitary ventures. The owners of the restaurant, Qingtseya and Quetseya, presented a naming challenge, thus Mai bestowed upon them the monikers Q and M. Their twin children, burdened with similarly convoluted names, became B1 and B2, reminiscent of Bananas in Pyjamas.

Throughout the day, Mai assisted in the kitchen and served during busy periods, drawing crowds to the restaurant, a fortuitous turn that left Mai pondering if fortune had smiled upon them. Amidst the patrons, particularly the women, Mai found herself under intense scrutiny, yet remained oblivious to certain gazes, including a gentleman's subtle gesture in helping her retrieve fallen chopsticks. Some women exchanged flirtatious glances, while others glowered with displeasure. Mai was taken aback by the boldness exhibited here, where the motto at Q and M's was "pay and eat," flipping the conventional order.

Reluctant to tempt fate with the Ying-Yang stones, Mai instead delved into exploring the capabilities of her magic staff. To her surprise, it proved more versatile than anticipated. During one evening's contemplation, recalling the incident with the chopsticks, her staff transformed into one, sparking reflections on its potential forms.

Attempts at spellcasting, however, yielded only feeble sparks of red and orange, leaving Mai feeling inadequate and self-conscious.

That evening, she sought solace in the garden, grappling with her perceived incompetence.

"Am I truly so inept that my staff has forsaken me?"

A gentle breeze brushed against her, eliciting laughter as it teased her hair. An epiphany dawned upon Mai—her focus on fire-related spells had been limiting. With renewed determination, she explored other elemental avenues, discovering a connection with the element of water. Closing her eyes, she delved deep into her consciousness, embracing the tranquility of a distant memory, a warm summer's day in Denmark.

"A small spell. What constitutes as small here?"

She pondered, eyeing the magic staff, struck by an idea. Fetching a cup of tea and a candle, she traced a delicate circle with the staff, mimicking the fairy's movements, then aimed it at the tea cup.

"Splash the water." she gently commanded, mindful not to evoke a sinister tone.

In an instant, white smoke billowed from the circle, descending upon the tea. The cup teetered, spilling some contents, but only water, not tea.

Mai marveled as the magic staff adhered to her precise words.

"So, it can distinguish between water and tea. Interesting."

Abruptly, a resounding alarm reminiscent of tolling tower bells shattered the tranquility, accompanied by bold golden text.

Warning Life Point: 57/100

Mai furrowed her brows at the sight, realizing she had neglected to monitor her remaining Life Points. Hastily, she retrieved Yin-Yang stones and inserted the magic staff into the silk cloth as it emitted a faint clink.

The staff's Life Points were restored to 100, yet Mai now possessed only 8 Ying-Yang stones.

"In the Hanzhong continent, one can find them, but the journey is long." She contemplated her right pinky finger. "It's time to find Li Sheng."

The following day, a holiday, Mai ventured to the Li mansion situated in the city's southern reaches. Despite multiple attempts, she was rebuffed at the entrance. Undeterred, she resolved to return the next day, devoting the remainder of the day to cultivation.

Endowed with a spirit pearl, or core, individuals like Mai could cultivate, a conviction reinforced by her magical constitution. To initiate the beginner level, one must bathe in spiritual herbs, a process growing increasingly intricate thereafter. In the southern expanse, a vast forest teeming with such herbs awaited, known intimately by B1 and B2. Before setting out, they advised Mai to obscure her elegance, citing encounters with potentially sensitive animals. Obliging, Mai amassed an abundance of herbs, stuffing her basket to overflowing, inadvertently leaving a trail behind as some spilled on the journey home.

Unbeknownst to Mai, Yao and his companions roamed the same forest, in search of elusive herbs that appeared sporadically.

They settled by a grassy mound, their gaze fixed upon the flat expanse of light green grass before them.

A companion glanced up at Yao, prompting him to rise and inquire, "Brother Yao, are you certain it's today? There's a reason it's random."

Yao affirmed with unwavering certainty, "I can feel it in my bones. Can't you? I consulted the astrologer today, and they said that according to my birth animal sign, luck is on my side exactly at this time."

His companion furrowed his brows, recalling that Brother Yao was born in the Year of the Pig, symbolizing prosperity, abundance, and luck. Yet, luck had eluded him thus far, especially in matters of the heart. Skepticism crept into his mind.

"Brother Yao, are you truly born in the Year of the Pig and not..."

"I was born in the year 128 during Emperor Wu's reign." Yao interjected, irritation evident at his friend's doubt.

"Associates" would be a more apt term for them, mere aides in Yao's schemes. Their presence afforded him leisure, a luxury he did not spurn, particularly when orchestrated by Brother Sheng. While Yao was astute enough to embrace their assistance, his true allegiance lay elsewhere.

Suddenly, a dazzling white streak shot forth from the grass, akin to the brilliance of celestial stars. They watched in anticipation as a large white rose, resembling a tulip's head, emerged, swaying mysteriously before them as if offering obeisance.

Yao's smile widened at the sight. The spiritual rose held the key to the breakthrough he had pursued for three years. With a hearty laugh, he anticipated the long night ahead.

"Assist me in setting the final pieces before midnight." he instructed, carefully plucking the rose with a white silk handkerchief.

The highest-ranking spiritual herbs demanded precise water temperatures, but spiritual flowers thrived solely at midnight, drawing sustenance from the cosmos. A single bloom held the power to catalyze his advancement.

On their journey homeward, the men noticed a trail of herbs, prompting furrowed brows. Aware of herbivorous animals, Yao and his companions hastened to gather them, their spirits buoyed and they hummed a merry tune on their way home.

Li Sheng had been tirelessly traversing the city in recent days, his efforts focused on uncovering clues about the mysterious woman he had glimpsed in Lotus Garden. Despite his exhaustive search, she remained elusive, leaving him no choice but to relinquish his pursuit. He had scoured every corner of the city, yet it seemed as though she were a figment of his imagination. But Li Sheng knew better—he had seen her with his own eyes, a fact corroborated by Yao.

Upon returning home one afternoon, he inquired about any developments, only to be met with disappointment. Among the updates was the unsettling incident of a street beggar attempting to breach his mansion's defenses—a persistent admirer who had crossed the line. Frustration etched his features as he issued a decisive command to his servants.

"I've had enough. If she dares to bother me again, resort to violence or even decapitation." he declared, his tone laced with simmering anger.

Tasked by his father to assess potential candidates from the Hanzhong continent, Li Sheng found his interest waning, particularly in the woman who had once captured his heart. He saw through her newfound attention, spurred by Crown Prince Xiao Lin's rejection, dismissing her advances as mere gamesmanship.

Gone was the naiveté of youth; Li Sheng now possessed the discernment of a mature man. Yet, he harbored desires, clandestine and potent, reserved for the enigmatic woman from Lotus Garden. Her flushed countenance stirred inexplicable sensations within him, an allure he found irresistible.

"The nervous and tense demeanor is truly captivating. So endearing." he mused, his thoughts drifting to the mundane prospect of marriage proposals awaiting him in his office. Rejecting the notion of a compliant spouse, he sought depth and intrigue, drawn to those who concealed their true selves.

Meanwhile, in her chamber, Mai poured the last tub of hot water into the bamboo bathtub, liberally adding the herbs for maximum effect. To her surprise, the water bubbled and sizzled like live lava, enveloping the room in swirling steam.

Furrowing her brows in concern, she questioned, "Have I erred?"

Though the water emitted a pleasing herbal aroma, its intense heat caused her to recoil upon dipping her toe. Despite the discomfort, Mai resolved not to retreat, determined to prove her worthiness in this unfamiliar world.

Her sister's words echoed in her mind, urging her to either commit fully or not at all. With a hesitant bite of her lip, she momentarily hesitated. Yet, she reasoned that the scalding water would eventually cool. Steeling herself, Mai gingerly submerged into the searing depths, enveloping her legs in a fiery embrace. Every inch of her skin prickled and burned, as though being stripped away layer by layer. Fear of scalds gripped her, yet she repeated a mantra of resolve.

"I can do this. I can do this."

Agony surged through her bones, heart, and mind, assaulting her senses. Inhaling the suffocating steam, Mai persevered.

Minutes stretched into eternity, the intensity of the pain gradually waning until it became bearable. Assuming a lotus position, she closed her eyes, delving into meditation.

Every individual possessed a core, but those capable of cultivation harbored a luminous core, a conduit to connect with. Within the darkness of her mind's eye, a radiant orb materialized, drawing near. Tenderly, Mai reached out, and a comforting warmth suffused her being. A crimson wave of energy surged forth, rippling through the surroundings, and disrupting the tranquility of the garden.

Simultaneously, Q and M sat within the main building's living room, engrossed in discussion, when a gentle warmth enveloped them, tousling their hair and garments. Momentarily disoriented, Q glanced at M, mistaking the sensation for an early onset of summer, while M prattled on, oblivious to the anomaly.

B1 and B2 felt a fluttering sensation in their stomachs, compelled to chase after the elusive warmth, but it vanished as swiftly as it had arrived.

"That was fleeting." B1 lamented, exchanging a disappointed glance with his confused mother.

"It was someone opening their core for cultivation. Must be nearby, considering how warm the qi was." B2 exclaimed, excitement evident in his wide grin and rosy cheeks.

Q, reminded of the prevalence of beginners in cultivation, dismissed the notion, attributing it to Ming's dog. However, a sudden flutter in her stomach prompted a delightful realization, igniting her maternal instincts.

"Should we have another one?" She proposed, her husband's stunned expression betraying his unpreparedness for the prospect of expanding their family. Despite his reservations, he acquiesced, his forced smile belying his inner turmoil.

"Of course, dear, we should have another child." M agreed, though his surprise lingered palpably.

Mai, invigorated by the familial exchange, felt a surge of vitality coursing through her veins and she envisioned herself running freely across the fields where the crows gathered—a testament to her newfound vigor.

"This is just the first step. The next ones will be harder."

In this realm of cultivation, progression was delineated by colors: White, green, blue, purple, red, and black. Beyond the realm of Black Cultivation lay the coveted rank of Mythic Cultivators, a rare breed so scarce they could be counted on one's fingers.

Contemplating the prospect, Mai scrutinized her hands, pondering whether a Mythic Cultivator could withstand her Finger System. While her index finger seemed feasible, doubts lingered regarding her thumb's prowess. Nevertheless, she harbored aspirations of exploring the Hanzhong continent once her current quest was fulfilled.

Mai currently resided in the white category, the starting point for all cultivators. Advancement to the green category necessitated the creation of pearls—mental constructs rather than tangible objects.

Sensing warmth emanating from her core, Mai recognized it as the epicenter of all energy flow within this world.

Determined to hone her skills, she decided to explore the manipulation of qi. With focused intent, she visualized a gentle breeze wafting across the room to extinguish a nearby candle and aligning her breath with her qi, she gradually allowed her energy to manifest as a subtle, cooling breeze.

With a decisive exhale, she directed her qi towards the candle flame eliciting a buzz in the surrounding air. As the flame flickered and faded, Mai's joy knew no bounds, she had successfully manipulated the forces of nature to her will.

"This feels amazing!" she exclaimed, exhilarated by her newfound ability.

The extinguished candle served as tangible proof of her rapid cultivation progress, yet she remained cognizant that this was merely the beginning.

With diligence, she continued her training, refining her control over qi throughout the evening.

Satisfied with her efforts, Mai retired to bed with a contented smile, drifting into a peaceful slumber.

What adventures awaited her come morning?

The answer awaited in the next chapter.

Back