Weeeell...
Cirno wasn't exactly going on a psychological warfare campaign right out of an Agatha Christie novel - she was just really angry. She didn't feel better because of fear, either, where I'd imagine the overwhelming emotion for a newborn youkai would be overwhelming hunger to solidify their existence before that fear fades.

Besides, don't act like the Exsphere is so innocent in all this. After all, it is a horrific instrument composed from tortured souls - and if there's anywhere that kind of taint would show up, it's in a pure elemental manifestation like a fairy.

And yes, an unstoppable rage monster is scary, but... is Cirno's youkai form really a musclebound berserker? I don't buy it. That's not what scares people about her, it's that cold apathy as you lose all feeling in your extremities, that ice that punctured your boat, the 'just one more hill and I'll be in my safe, warm, home'. She is ICE, and she is COLD, the icy chill and the biting gale and she does. not. care.

Run, traveler, run. For though the mansion houses a far greater devil, at least you will die in comfort.

But first...

Would you like to play a game?

So. Could Cirno become a youkai? Undoubtedly. Was Cirno becoming a youkai? Kinda doubtful, given how childish and cheerful Fuuya's portrayed her to be, imo. Is the Exsphere having an adverse effect? Yes, but I think it's more along the lines of tainting Cirno with it's own horror than bringing out any 'latent youkai'.
You asked for it.

Ok, that doesn't really help the creepyness factor out much. But I'd contend that it's possible that a bit of both might have been present. Either way, creepy Cirno is creepy.

Edit... I just reread that fight again much more closely and there are certainly still some signs to support my theory, they are just much more subtle.

Without a sound, the fairy disappears, causing the bandits to shout in surprise. Fog swirls in the area where she used to be, leaving no hint of where she vanished to.

A hazy vision of the fairy appears, a sneer on her face as she flicks her sword, tossing the woman aside.

The final two Thieves almost make it thirty steps before Cirno catches up to them. "There's no escape…" She says flatly as she grabs the two of them and tosses them to the ground. Terror fills their eyes as she raises her blade before executing two swift strikes, wiping them both out.

Cirno stares coldly into his eyes, her gaze filled with power despite her deadly wounds. "I told you…You're a dead man." Her Exsphere's glow intensifies as power summons itself into her sword.

All of that doesn't sound like a mindless berserker. It's way too theatrical. What's more, much of the methods used almost felt like it was intentionally to cause fear. For a time, it looked like she was even enjoying it! None of this sounds like a blind rage to me. It sounds less like Agatha Christie and more like Crystal Lake.

Now, I'm a big boy and can admit that your theory certainly can explain all of this... but you have to wonder.

edit2... I want to point out as well, that the other referenced material didn't have a youkai suddenly born and was there to stay. It came in spurts where she had control for a while and then suddenly didn't have control. It wasn't until after the second failed suicide attempt that she was fully out of control of her human mind and fully a youkai.

Illustrations like that are why I find that source material so helpful.

...I'm probably going to have nightmares tonight.

Last edited:
Somehow I think Cirno will be just fine.
No, Beast is one of two moves readily available that has a serious knock-back effect. And I'm talking like blowing them across the screen and knocking them down kind of knock-back. Blowing any enemies in front of you away and getting a moment to look at the battle could end up saving lives.

The other tech is Sheena's Pyre Seal and we can't really learn that one I think. Her techs and weapons are, lore-wise, secret family techniques. LloydxSheena shipping probably spawned mostly from that conversation, that was fucking adorable/hilarious. On a completely unrelated note, Lloyd is dense.

Well, if there's one thing this talk of souls has made me curious of other then what is happening to Cirno, it's about what would happen if the Youkai of Gensyoko met a being who was literally soulless.

Uhh... hmm. Depends on what you mean by soulless - youkai, faries, and gods generally don't have human souls, after all. I'd imagine they wouldn't be able to get fear or faith from it, and some of the more spiritually active beings might take an interest, but ultimately it would just be another weird thing in a place full of weird things. For all we know, Ruukoto (the robot maid) might already lack a soul.

Youmu's name, at the very least, references the idea of a twin soul - mental and physical - and we know that there's a Yama that judges the dead, with a possibility of ending up in heaven through something like the Buddhist cycle of reincarnation but with how many different faiths and groups mash up in Touhou, it's not super clear how that all works.

Last edited:
Uhh... hmm. Depends on what you mean by soulless - youkai, faries, and gods generally don't have human souls, after all. I'd imagine they wouldn't be able to get fear or faith from it, and some of the more spiritually active beings might take an interest, but ultimately it would just be another weird thing in a place full of weird things.

For all we know, Ruukoto (the robot maid) might already lack a soul.
Good point there, but I was thinking more an utter lack of anything resembling a soul, but the being is also organic, and is otherwise a living breathing thing. (Like Flowey for example)

Generally speaking, ZUN seems to deal with different religious outlooks by having them each operate on their own guidelines, creating a bureaucratic nightmare for the poor administrators in charge of clearing it all up. Flowey needs a soul to feel love and morality, others might not. He'd be treated as just another psychopathic youkai by most people, I'd imagine. Only gods and other youkai trying feed off him might notice, and they wouldn't necessarily connect the lack of a soul to his cruel behavior immediately.

But this is a bit of a derail, I think. Take it to PMs?

Generally speaking, ZUN seems to deal with different religious outlooks by having them each operate on their own guidelines, creating a bureaucratic nightmare for the poor administrators in charge of clearing it all up. Flowey needs a soul to feel love and morality, others might not. He'd be treated as just another psychopathic youkai by most people, I'd imagine. Only gods and other youkai trying feed off him might notice, and they wouldn't necessarily connect the lack of a soul to his cruel behavior immediately.

But this is a bit of a derail, I think. Take it to PMs?
Maybe, I was mostly just thinking of stuff though, thank you for humouring me.

Redshirt Army and I were further discussing theories(so as to keep from cluttering up this thread) and while doing so I found probably the most complete and accurate translation of the Dolls in Pseudo Paradise story that I think is possible to find in English right now. We discussed it and decided it would be best to share it with the rest of you guys. It's far more illuminating than the wiki, and more importantly, has the missing pieces in the correct order. Here is the link to it for reference.

Follows is the story itself, condensed(but unchanged from the source) for easier reading. Fair warning, it is part of the dark side of Gensokyo's canon. It is not pleasant.

Cover:
We – the honest village, were originally a group of just eight.
We had all decided together to move into the eastern mountains and pass the time for two years. Everyday was an honest tedium.
One day, one of our number found a small hole in the curve of a peach tree. Yes, it was from then on that we stumbled into paradise.
Then and there, I quit being human.

1:
I, the most curious of our group, hurried ahead first and set my sights deep into the forest. There I was stopped by a mysterious clown. For whatever reason it happily held out to me the jeweled branch of Hourai. When I reached out to take it, in that very instant my head was separated from my body. I couldn't move, and I couldn't ever see my friends again.
And then there were seven honest ones left.

The elixir of immortality couldn't be found even by the servants of the emperor Qin Shi Huang…
…But I wonder if you could find the jeweled branch of Hourai.

2:
In the morning, I saw a red and white shrine maiden dancing on the surface of a pond. The earliest riser of our group, I was fascinated by her ruthless and radical dance for quite some time. Eventually it began to rain, and when I came to my senses, the shrine maiden had vanished.

It looks like another strange person's found their way in again.
I should do something before they make it to the shrine…
Ah, that girl… it doesn't seem like she is either human or youkai…

3:
The rain knew no end. A shrine maiden, her body drenched, was disappearing as if she were melting into the rain. While I was captivated by the shrine maiden, the rain became a frightful storm, and I, the most beautiful of our group, was captured by a clown. Then the clown vanished into the storm, and I was unable to return to our group.
And then there were six honest ones left.

I wonder if even now under that cherry tree * is sleeping.
Those crimson flower petals year after year are growing lighter.
There probably isn't anything left under the ground anymore.

4:
At night, we six held an exotic party. I, the youngest of our group could not yet drink alcohol or smoke opium, so I was extremely bored. Alone I crept away from the event, but in the pitch darkness I was captured by an ominous clown. My head was easily taken. I was never again able to be bored.
And then there were five honest ones left.

The opium smoke hovered like a cloud, and passed into that place in the town. I live in a land concession. The people wearing colorful clothes and dancing the waltz, their magic won't reach me here.

5:
I ran until I was out of breath. I, the most cowardly of our group, had grown afraid of this paradise. I had thought as much, but no matter how far I ran, I couldn't find the way back. Already the one I loved had disappeared, and whether or not she was alive there was nothing I could do – at length and in despair I strung a rope over a thick branch and tied it around my neck.
…For some reason, I'm conscious. Was the rope too brittle?…
I, the most cowardly of our group, was reborn. Having nothing left to lose, I decided to pretend to be human just once more.

"Youkai? Nowadays that's just nonsense."
But I know: If the youkai let humans think that, then they can live in peace.
Youkai are far more peaceful and realistic than humans.

6:
When I woke up, the five of us were in the dark. According to one of us, we were belaid by a strange clown. The other four were constructing infantile escape plans. I, the most wise of our group, saw that it would be fine to just wait it out, but in the end, I never said it aloud.
The four's plan was carried out according to plan, and against my calculations suceeded, but I was never able to escape from the darkness.
While I was killing time in endless darkness, I felt a presence right behind me, but I just let things go as they would. I felt something hot on my back.

Ah, this doll, I really want to throw it away.
After all, those blue eyes. Sometimes a black crow comes and takes them away in its mouth. Those eyes are real. I know, because I'm always putting in new ones.

7:
We were able to make our brilliant escape. We felt like geniuses, and went back to the place we were staying at in paradise.
No one had any doubts about the other.
We were all honest. We were all great friends…

So, up next is the bird-man!
This man called "bird-man" exists only far in the south country, and even there is rare, a child born from a bird of paradise. His parents died long ago, and so was a poor lonely child. But we saved him from that! Aren't we great?

8:
Paradise prepared us a perfect building to live in. This ancient western mansion deep in the forest has always let us stay in. It always has a great store of food, but now we do with half.
Since when was our honest number halved?

The rain won't stop.
Since I've wandered into this house, I haven't seen the sun once. I wonder how many days have passed?
The doll began to talk to me.
I twisted the doll's head off. It looked as if the rain had stopped.

9:
We always have tea in the afternoon, and the bitter coffee I always have today tasted a bit sweet.
Was this the one with the love potion in it?…
I, the most mature of our group, in love with a beautiful clown, happily fell asleep.
And then there were three honest ones left.

Of course not. I'm not an idiot.
I was just laughed at for telling my friend.
That the shop over there was selling a love potion.
So without telling anyone, I broke the piggy bank.

10:
I saw that one of my friends was clearly killed with poison. There's no way it could have been suicide. I was the one who chose everyone's coffee according to their tastes and carried it to their rooms. I didn't tell the other two of his death. I, the most wary of out group, didn't eat anything besides the food I prepared myself. I desperately stayed awake until the other two were sound asleep. We had gone into separate rooms and locked the doors. Yes, I suspected one of the two.
Somewhere near by I heard the sound of a something being nailed into a tree. Which of them is behind this? In the darkness my face twisted in fear. Matched in time with the sounds, my hands and legs began to hurt. It felt as if 15 centimeter nails were being knocked into them. I considered whether I should consult a medium, and then I realized the obvious.
Of course, I'm being nailed into a tree and can't move. Which of them is doing it?
Then I felt the final nail against my brow.
Then just as I predicted I saw a face.
Before I had time to yell out, the light went completely out.

Interlude:
You were way too much of a coward.
Don't you realize that being honest only sets yourself up to meet a cruel fate?
Did this escape from the world paralyze your old sharp senses?
Don't you yearn for the bustling town, for riches and happiness?
I, in the past was a thief with the rest, and I just wanted to re-live my life.
Having finished the job, I began preparations for breakfast, and waited for night to lift.

In the first place, a western mansion standing in a forest with no roads leading to it is strange. The girl that lives there rarely comes to the village. However, lately I've seen what looks like her daughter. Why do I say her daughter?
Well, she looks exactly like that girl when she was a child…

11:
Barely hanging on to consciousness, I, the earliest riser, was already at death's door. There was something in this morning's ham and eggs. How stupid of me, to not know anything even though we've come down to two. It was all *s fault, when * went mad I should have killed *.
But whatever I might do, it's just too late.
I felt that I saw a shrine maiden, was this just an hallucination of mine?
Even so, was the color of her hair really that blonde?
In exchange for my life, I wished that I could see this hallucination just a little while longer. It seemed that wish was only granted to one before me.

You really have no imagination. It was as if you wanted to fall into the trap. If the culprit was one with the imaginative power of U.N. Owen, they'd have your neck on a rope before breakfast.

12:
I, the one who had been reborn, yesterday after dinner was assaulted by an intense sleepiness. My head hurt like it was going to split in two. I can't remember anything that happened last night, just that it felt like I was watching a long dream. If only I didn't have to watch the reality facing me now…
Just what is this? One poisoned by coffee, one nailed to a tree, and another beheaded….
I whispered the last having prepared a chair and a rope. The last one killed had to have been the one poisoned by the coffee.
So, just what is the meaning of this?
It's probably that.
There was something put into my food last night.
But what does that matter? Now I'm all alone.
This time I tied a strong rope to the ceiling, and kicked a tall chair.
This time for sure, my body won't ever hit the ground again.
And then the honest group was none

Today nothing happened.
Tomorrow I have nothing planned.
No one comes here, humans or gods.
Youkai? Ah, well they come every day.

13:
The shrine maiden of paradise spent the summer in an unchanging peace.
On one of those summer days, the shrine maiden wrote this in her diary.
August Xth
About all that happened today was that I met a beautiful blonde haired girl walking out from the direction of the ruins of the western style mansion in the forest. I felt like i had seen that girl somewhere before, but I didn't waste my thoughts on such a trivial thing. In jest, that girl stuck out her tongue and quickly bowed with a great smile on her face and went off in the direction of the exit to paradise. What a strange girl.
Now that I think of it. That girl was the only female in that group of honest eight. But what does that matter.
Ah… today's another boring day.
In this paradise "Gensoukyou" the number of humans dropped by eight, and seven corpses were safely carried off by youkai. Gensoukyou has lost the honest group for all eternity. Well, it's just a numerical shift.
That's not important news.

Lately, the number of people that'll say thoughtless things such as "that's magic" or "that's a youkai's doing" are increasing. How depressing.

Now, I made a bit of my own analysis on the subject material. What follows is my partial analysis of the story as it pertains to what a 'newborn' youkai can be like as well as what kinds of changes to expect. If you haven't tried to figure the story out on your own yet, I encourage you to attempt it first... it's way more fun that way.

First off, before I begin the analysis, I need to make it clear that it makes the reasonable assumption that the cowardly person is the culprit. It also assumes that the extra sections(found in alternate versions of the music collection) are actually part of the very same story(so far, I have not found anything to suggest otherwise). It is very possible that it is instead the beautiful one(however, closer analysis of the original Japanese gives this much less credence). If someone wants to discuss this point with me, I'd be happy to do so in PMs. At this point, it is almost certainly the cowardly one, as will be shown later. Also, the point of this post is not to discuss if this is indeed Alice's origin story or not.

This story paints a much more clear picture of a gradual progression from human to youkai instead of a sudden transition. The missing pieces assembled properly really do make all the difference in the world. Here are some important clues...

1.) "One day, one of our number found a small hole in the curve of a peach tree. Yes, it was from then on that we stumbled into paradise.
Then and there, I quit being human."

This implies that the culprit was aware of some kind of major change from within herself from the very beginning of the story. I should point out that this type of entrance to Gensokyo is classic of Yukari's antics. She may have even kickstarted the transformation process by manipulating the boundary of human and youkai... but that is pure speculation.

2.) The shrine maiden stated that one of them "doesn't seem like she is either human or youkai".

This implies that the culprit was not fully a youkai yet, but was instead transitioning.

3.) "…For some reason, I'm conscious. Was the rope too brittle?…
I, the most cowardly of our group, was reborn. Having nothing left to lose, I decided to pretend to be human just once more."

This implies that she has a significant change in character after the first failed hanging.

4.) "In the first place, a western mansion standing in a forest with no roads leading to it is strange. The girl that lives there rarely comes to the village. However, lately I've seen what looks like her daughter. Why do I say her daughter?
Well, she looks exactly like that girl when she was a child…"

This implies that she has fully changed her physical appearance to resemble a youkai by this time, but was not always like this.

5.). The interlude is implied to be the youkai half speaking. It suggests that the youkai retains her human memories and many of her characteristics. However, it also suggests that her personality is a warped reflection of her human self. She is not cowardly, or timid at all. Also, the youkai appears to share the same sense of identity as the human side.

These points taken along with the following points actually suggest that the transition is similar to dissociative identity disorder, although with a somewhat atypical combination of symptoms. The most unusual part is that both the human and youkai share a single sense of identity. However it is hardly surprising that such a comparison can be made about an emerging youkai.

6.) "Barely hanging on to consciousness, I, the earliest riser, was already at death's door. There was something in this morning's ham and eggs. How stupid of me, to not know anything even though we've come down to two. It was all *s fault, when * went mad I should have killed *."

This is even further evidence that the culprit's mental status had not only visibly changed, but that it had changed while in Gensokyo. Ergo, it must be due to the transformation. This implies that the symptoms analyzed are unlikely due to a preexisting condition such as a genuine case of DID.

7.) "I, the one who had been reborn, yesterday after dinner was assaulted by an intense sleepiness. My head hurt like it was going to split in two. I can't remember anything that happened last night, just that it felt like I was watching a long dream. If only I didn't have to watch the reality facing me now…"

This implies that her humanity is quickly slipping further away as she loses control. This also mimics DID.

8.) "Just what is this? One poisoned by coffee, one nailed to a tree, and another beheaded….
I whispered the last having prepared a chair and a rope. The last one killed had to have been the one poisoned by the coffee.
So, just what is the meaning of this?"

This implies that she only has a vague understanding of what is happening to her and what she's doing. She can't come to grips with the reality of the situation, and neither can she fully remember the precise details. But she does indeed remember enough. In particular, she should not know about the one nailed to a tree, yet she does. Nor should she remember the one who's coffee was poisoned(who's death was hidden from the group).

This also connects the mysterious 'clown' with the cowardly one. She remembers events that were associated with the clown's murders, that she would not have been present for otherwise. How the clown is significant remains a mystery though.

9.) "There was something put into my food last night.
But what does that matter? Now I'm all alone.
This time I tied a strong rope to the ceiling, and kicked a tall chair.
This time for sure, my body won't ever hit the ground again.
And then the honest group was none"

This implies that she finally gives away the rest of her humanity at this point to escape this nightmare. All that remains is a youkai.

Taken altogether, it really paints an interesting (and disturbing) picture on the subject of transforming into a youkai.

The timeframe of the transformation process can be roughly estimated as well.

1.) "I wonder if even now under that cherry tree * is sleeping.
Those crimson flower petals year after year are growing lighter.
There probably isn't anything left under the ground anymore."

This passage implies that one of the group has been buried for at least several years, yet most of the group are still alive. This means that the youkai transformation process starts out rather slowly.

2.) Two references to the shrine maiden(not the one about the blond shrine maiden) are implied to be Reimu. This suggests(but still leaves room for interpretation) that the maximum timeframe of the transformation is not much higher that several years... Reimu is not that old.

This means that between passage 2 and the end of the story is roughly several years time.

3.) By passage 4, the youngest of the group was STILL to young to drink. This implies(unless you believe the youngest to have been a single digit age upon arrival to Gensokyo) that the entire story isn't likely to be longer than several years. At the very most, it puts an upper bound of around a decade from start to finish.

4.) "In the first place, a western mansion standing in a forest with no roads leading to it is strange. The girl that lives there rarely comes to the village. However, lately I've seen what looks like her daughter. Why do I say her daughter?
Well, she looks exactly like that girl when she was a child…"

This implies that the group has lived in the mansion for long enough to be recognized by the people of the human village, yet not overly familiar with them. However, given the limited amount of time that the remainder of the story has left, it is unlikely that between moving into the mansion and this point took longer than a few months time.

The final 4 deaths (poisoned, nailed to a tree, poisoned, and self hung) are implied to take place within a 24-48 hour period of time. This is a stark contrast to the previous 4 deaths that spanned over years. Within that time, the youkai has visibly started to look as such and may explain why she hastened the murders.

The order of the deaths as well as the manner of deaths are a useful clue as to the mentality and abilities of the young youkai. They are as follows. Disclaimer! This section may be disturbing.

1. Off with their head.
2. Killed offscreen.
3. Off with their head.
4. Attempted self hanging. (survived)
5. Stabbed in the back.
6. Poisoned.
7. Nailed to a tree.
8. Poisoned.
9. Attempted self hanging. (survived?)

As you can see, the first 3 murders were performed in a generally quick and brutal manner. Afterwards, the cowardly one tries to commit suicide, but it doesn't work. Next, the murders start getting more creative and generally effective at generating fear. Finally, near the end of the story, the pace of the killings quickens, rapidly finishing off the rest of the group overnight... but in a manner that will generate much more fear and doubt before death. All of this shows that the art of generating the most fear possible is not something that a youkai is born with, but rather is a learned process.

The fact that the first three victims were all killed while they were in isolation from the group also indicates that the young youkai is a bit more cautious about it's meals. Later, the attacks get much more brazen and bold. The final killing spree shows complete confidence in her abilities to hunt.

This portion of the analysis works regardless of who the killer is.

Since this work is clearly styled off the work "And Then There Were None", it is natural to assume that there is a 'red herring' death in the story. If you have any evidence to support or deny a red herring being present, please let me know.

So far, I have found no evidence to suggest that any of the deaths are red herrings. 5 were associated with the 'clown' figure. 2 were later shown to be the actions of the cowardly one, which is also shown to be tied to the clown figure. The final death was the self hanging of the cowardly one. All deaths appear to be accounted for by the killer.

A newborn youkai starts off(over about several years time) looking and acting like the original person except that they have spells of violent and crude behavior conducted against 'safe' prey. They are aware that something major is different about them from the earliest stages.

Later on(lasting on the order of months) the youkai gradually refines her art and gets more bold in choosing prey. The overall mental status of the non-youkai side start visibly changing, but still visibly looks like her old self.

Later still(lasting a matter of days at most), the youkai starts really getting bold, and more importantly, confident in attacking prey. The youkai changes physical appearance and begins to actually look like a youkai at this time.

From here on out, there is not much of the old self left to hold on to and it's mostly the youkai that is in control. While not a certainty, it seems that the youkai will eventually replace the original self.

Throughout the whole process, as long as there is at least a hint of the old self left, that self is at least somewhat aware of what is going on but unable to do anything about it. It's unclear if the old self is aware while the youkai is in control. Both halves share memories, many characteristics, and identity, but have contrasting personalities. The process mimics dissociative identity disorder.

It is possible, and even likely, for some of the original personality traits to be retained even after the transformation is complete; although the majority of the personality will likely be different.

The process of transforming actually sounds every bit as horrific to the poor soul that's transforming as it does to those around her.

Finally, the unsolved mysteries... If you have a theory, or better yet, can deduce something solid on these points, please share it. Some of them are probably unsolvable, but some might be. There are other unsolved mysteries in the story, but these ones have a bearing on the analysis.

1.) What exactly is the 'clown'? Is it merely a disguise? Is it a youkai's power such as an automaton or doll? Is it something else altogether? It is shown in the analysis to be closely connected to the cowardly one, but what it actually is is unknown.

2.) Why did the girl in the story begin transforming?

3.) Is the shrine maiden really Reimu, or is it a prior shrine maiden? I believe that the reference to the 'blonde' shrine maiden is actually the killer herself in youkai form... but it's hardly conclusive.

4.) Where could the youkai have 'left' to? It's implied that she left Gensokyo, but gives no indication as to where.

Edit... added additional analysis.
Edit... added summary of analysis.
Edit... added further analysis.
Edit... added unsolved mysteries.

Last edited:
Phew, that was a pretty crazy thing to read after getting up in the morning. I guess I should be glad that it wasn't at night right before bed, but...XD

I'll add it to the Omake list, if only because it's pretty good reading material. It might not be the way that the potential youkai transformation will take place in the Quest (after all, Cirno is a slightly different type of being than a human), but it could serve as a nice reference all the same.

*Blink* You switched that around to? First Artes in a tree never had a S/T rating, and Lloyd even had lvl 2 and 3 Artes for Beast of both types if memory serves.

But that means we need to go S if we want to learn the Beast line and that line is too good to not learn. Fuck.

Heh, is this where I whistle innocently and say once again that by choosing one tree, you give up on all the goodies that could come from another? Again, you don't have to change to get the base Beast arte, as that is actually coming from the Technical Tree. However, Presea's Punishing Beast may indeed be learned on the Strike Tree.

...All that being said, you would be wise to remember that while Punishing Beast is pretty cool, there are plenty of really good Artes on the Tech side as well. Hard to go wrong no matter where you focus your efforts! ;)

As a side note, the update will either come tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how distracted I get with Disgaea 5 and the League Championships.

Thank you for the Omake listing. I wasn't even sure originally if I was going to post it here, but we thought it might be helpful as a reference. As far as I know, it's the only canon reference that depicts both a newborn youkai emerging from a human as well as the changes the youkai goes through while establishing itself. It really challenges a lot of the preconceptions surrounding the process.

I just wish it wasn't so overly cryptic as to require so much analysis. It took way more work than I care to admit to iron out the details of the analysis that I got so far. And, worst of all, it's still possible to be wrong due to a faulty assumption... but I doubt it at this point. Too many details line up far too perfectly.

Anyways, I'd wager that you're not going to find as in-depth of an analysis into this subject that is based on canon material as what I presented here anywhere else(believe me, I tried looking). So at this point, it's more of a take it or leave it kind of thing. As always, make up your own mind on what to believe. That's why I posted the source material with the analysis.

Edit... Phew, I think I'm done with my editing spree for a while. There is only so much psychoanalysis one can perform on a person spiraling towards madness(while going off of a cryptic source) before it starts to get to you. I may cover some more points in the future, but I think I've covered more than enough points to satisfy most questions before they come up. I'd be happy to discuss any points that you guys might disagree with, but if the discussion gets out of control, I may ask to move it to PMs.

Edit... Dang it ZUN! You did too good of a job on this one. I keep finding more! Heck, I never expected to be able to actually put together a timeframe of the events, but it's there!

Last edited:
I'm locking votes and have started writing, but I don't expect to be able to get the update out *quite* yet (likely tomorrow). Work is in progress, though! :)

Vote tally:
##### 3.21
[X] Try to contact Yukari and ask her about Elis and that mysterious Lady Shinki. Maybe she has some insight that would be beneficial?
[X] Ask Kratos for advice on fighting. While you hate to admit it, he's still a better fighter than you. His help could be invaluable!
No. of votes: 12
Ethereal Vitali, Lordsservent, Omegastar, Who?, Chaosbrain, Draggon73, ShadowAngelBeta, Necratoid, wingstrike96, Drac, yert, RJC1212

[X] Ask Kratos for advice on fighting. While you hate to admit it, he's still a better fighter than you. His help could be invaluable!
[X] Talk to Genis.
No. of votes: 2
Random Tale, Redshirt Army

[X] Try to contact Yukari and ask her about Elis and that mysterious Lady Shinki. Maybe she has some insight that would be beneficial?
[X] Experiment with EX Skills and try to discover hidden combinations. *Subject to rolls*
No. of votes: 1
veekie

[X] Work on making a new, super-awesome Spellcard! *Subject to rolls*
LightMage

[X] Talk to Genis.
No. of votes: 3

EnigmaticFellow, EmpirePlayer, Shape of Fire

[X] Experiment with EX Skills and try to discover hidden combinations. *Subject to rolls*
Elder Haman

So, unless I'm miscounting the votes, there's a deadlock tie between talking to Yukari and traning with Kratos, followed by talking to Genis.

...which would result in a deadlock tie between Yukari and Kratos, followed by Genis in the case Yukari decides not to talk. Unless Fuuya decides to do something different.
...I'm not understanding something you're saying here. Yukari is the first listed vote, so wouldn't she go first? Making it not a tie?

Something about your interpretation of the word Tie is confusing me here.

Sorry, I was just noticing that it doesn't really matter which way you count the votes. The result is the same.

Sorry, I was just noticing that it doesn't really matter which way you count the votes. The result is the same.

Indeed it is. In this case, we're starting with Yukari and then talking to Kratos for some (potential) battle advice.

Now, while normally I'll go in order of how the votes are in cases like this, if it makes way more sense to talk to person C before A or B, I might choose to flop the order around to accommodate that. However, that's a pretty rare thing, and I'm fairly certain hasn't come up yet in this Quest. Still something to keep in mind for in the future as a possibility, though.

In terms of the current update, I'm sitting currently at 3,273 words. I'm not going to be able to finish tonight due to needing at least another 800+ words to finish the armor portion out (plus quality control checks and whatnot), but I still got a solid 2k written tonight, so hooray for that. :3

Here's a question for you all: I was planning on just ending the update with the armor choice (or choosing to go without), but would you guys prefer to push forward and get Cirno's class in this update as well? I'm not sure how long that'll run, but it likely will push the update an extra day to finish (would be looking at about two days from now) and will make it one of the beefiest yet for this Quest in terms of length. No matter what, the end point will be the same for the class, regardless of whether you choose to incorporate it into this update or have it as its own section.

I'm absolutely fine with whatever you guys decide. Basically, it's a matter of whether or not you want to have two large/medium-sized updates or have one really big one (6k+ words, easy). Figure that I'll have the post up by tomorrow if you guys just want to cut it at the armor choice, btw.

As always, thank you for your patience and support, friends! And good news, Yukari didn't kill Cirno! :3

Indeed it is. In this case, we're starting with Yukari and then talking to Kratos for some (potential) battle advice.

Now, while normally I'll go in order of how the votes are in cases like this, if it makes way more sense to talk to person C before A or B, I might choose to flop the order around to accommodate that. However, that's a pretty rare thing, and I'm fairly certain hasn't come up yet in this Quest. Still something to keep in mind for in the future as a possibility, though.

In terms of the current update, I'm sitting currently at 3,273 words. I'm not going to be able to finish tonight due to needing at least another 800+ words to finish the armor portion out (plus quality control checks and whatnot), but I still got a solid 2k written tonight, so hooray for that. :3

Here's a question for you all: I was planning on just ending the update with the armor choice (or choosing to go without), but would you guys prefer to push forward and get Cirno's class in this update as well? I'm not sure how long that'll run, but it likely will push the update an extra day to finish (would be looking at about two days from now) and will make it one of the beefiest yet for this Quest in terms of length. No matter what, the end point will be the same for the class, regardless of whether you choose to incorporate it into this update or have it as its own section.

I'm absolutely fine with whatever you guys decide. Basically, it's a matter of whether or not you want to have two large/medium-sized updates or have one really big one (6k+ words, easy). Figure that I'll have the post up by tomorrow if you guys just want to cut it at the armor choice, btw.

As always, thank you for your patience and support, friends! And good news, Yukari didn't kill Cirno! :3
Stay awesome Fuuya, your story is one of the bet I have seen in a long time.

One at a time is slightly better, though it takes more time to vote.

Voting for two items tends to have the discussion tunnel vision on one of them

Preview: In the next exciting update, Cirno attempts to contact Yukari! Will she manage to contact the elusive youkai? Even if she does, will things go well for her? Or will Cirno find that she bit off more than she can chew...?

Yukari: "You just woke me up from a very nice nap. This had better be very important...or else."

Next time on The Epic of Cirno!: Dangerous Revelations. What will Yukari have to say? Only on Sufficient Velocity.

Dangerous Revelations

Yeah, Yukari needs to know about Elis and whoever Lady Shinki is, Cirno thinks to herself. But can I actually contact her?

Cirno takes out the communication talisman that Yukari gave her and stares hard at it. Nothing happens. Maybe I need to try saying something? "Hey, Yukari, I need to talk to you! It's important!" Again, no response.

For about five minutes, Cirno tries all sorts of different ways to try to make the communicator work, from waving it around in the air to shouting at it. Apart from a few odd looks from Kratos, who watches the fairy curiously, nothing seems to work.

Right before she completely loses her patience, Cirno has one final idea. Wait, maybe I need to put magic into it, kinda like a Spellcard? Huh…might as well. Holding it out, she channels a sliver of her power into the talisman. Instantly, it lights up in a blue glow. A hopeful expression appears on Cirno's face. "Hah, I bet that did it. Hey, Yukari, hurry up and respond already!"

A few moments of silence pass before a reply suddenly echoes forth from the talisman: "You just woke me up from a very nice nap. This had better be very important…or else." Cirno blanches, Yukari's sleepy voice containing nearly palpable annoyance.

Taking a deep breath, the fairy nods her head and says, "It is important, Yukari! I just got attacked by a crazy devil lady!"

A beat passes. "You what?"

"I was scouting ahead in this really creepy forest when I was attacked by this purple bat with red eyes," Cirno excitedly says. "I chased it around for awhile before it turned into a flying woman and launched a giant laser at me! I-I think she might be from Gensokyo or someplace connected to it. She said something about Reimu and luring me out before she fought me in a Danmaku battle! Oh, but I won, because I'm the strongest." The fairy puffs out her chest in pride before realizing that nobody was around besides Kratos, who was staying a fair distance away.

"You fought in an actual Danmaku battle?" Yukari asks, her tone no longer aggressive. Instead, it contains a hint of surprise, almost as if she was taken a bit off guard.

Cirno grins. "Yep! She wasn't following the rules either, but I guess since we aren't in Gensokyo, it kinda makes sense. She used purple lasers, Danmaku, daggers, and some sort of odd explosive kanji."

Silence for a few seconds. "I see," Yukari finally says, returning to a carefully neutral tone. "Cirno, I need you to focus for a moment; this is important. Can you give me more information? Her name, who she was working with, anything odd about her…?"

Thinking hard, Cirno tries to recall as much as possible. "Yeah, her name was Elis. She called herself the Innocence Devil or something like that. She was cheating and used Danmaku patterns that were impossible to dodge—"

"Of course she did," Yukari says, cutting her off. "Ignore that, what else was there?"

"Well, she did say something about someone called Lady Shinki…" Cirno trails off, waiting to hear what Yukari has to say.

For a long while, the talisman remains silent. Just as Cirno thinks she should say something, anything, Yukari slowly says, "Is that all, Cirno?"

Cirno shakes her head. "Nope, there's one more thing. Just when I had beaten her, she pulled out this really creepy-looking black Spellcard. She then chanted these really odd lines; something about giving magic and blood, maybe? After every line, stuff flowed out of her into the card. At the very end, she—I think she sacrificed herself to power the card. The sky then got pitch-black; the only thing I could see at first was the glow from the card floating in midair. Then, these really, really dangerous-looking flames appeared. Something told me I had to run or else I would die. But I couldn't! There were these invisible walls that trapped me in. Danmaku started coming from the card and from the walls in impossible-to-dodge patterns; if I didn't cut the Danmaku with my sword, I would have been killed. Oh, and everything got harder about halfway through. I don't know how long I was in there for, but it must have been at least four minutes, maybe more. When the Spellcard finally timed out, everything returned to normal, but the forest where we had fought was completely destroyed." Finished, Cirno shakes her head to clear the scary memory away.

An amused chuckle comes from the talisman. "It seems like you have gotten a lot stronger," Yukari says. "Even I will admit that you did well this time."

A wide grin splits the fairy's face in two. "Heh, I won't lose to anyone!"

Yukari makes a noncommittal sound before saying, "I see. I suppose that's a good thing, be—"

Suddenly, a new voice comes out from the talisman, cutting Yukari off. "Lady Yukari, it's an emergency! That human magician is here! I sent Chen to buy us some time, but I don't think she'll be able to stop her for long."

"Of course she is…" Yukari says, annoyance returning to her voice. "It appears my nap was doomed either way. Very well, I'll deal with her momentarily." The youkai, obviously not pleased, puts a great amount of stress on 'deal'. Cirno shivers, glad Yukari's target isn't her.

"Cirno," Yukari says, causing the fairy to stare at the talisman intently. "As I said, you did well today. You were indeed right in contacting me. However, this new information confirms my suspicions; the real players are beginning to make their move. Cirno, you have now become a target for them; they'll be coming for you, the main source of interference in their plans. Elis should be proof enough of that, weak as she was in the grand scheme of things."

Cirno shakes her head stubbornly. "Hey, I beat her despite her cheating. I won't lose to anyone!"

Dark chuckling greets her words. "You barely won against what was likely a peon at best, and you had all the advantages you could ever have needed at your disposal. For example, imagine what would have happened if she had attacked you while the Chosen and her companions were nearby…Do you think you could have protected them and still beat her?" She pauses for a second to let that sink in. "I hope you are starting to grasp what I'm saying. If you want to protect your new friends from harm, do NOT let your guard down."

Stunned, the fairy is slow to reply. "Y-Yes, Yukari."

"Good. Contact me again if anything similar happens again." Without so much as a goodbye, the talisman goes dark as Yukari cuts the link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cirno stares at the talisman for a long while, trying to process Yukari's warning. "They're coming for me? Not for Colette and the others, but for me? Am…am I putting everyone else in danger?"

An image of what might have been flashes through Cirno's mind. Victorious after the long battle with Elis, the fairy looks down to see the bodies of those she cares about strewn amidst the burning remains of the forest. Some are filled with holes from the Danmaku; others are pierced by countless daggers. A few are barely recognizable after being blown nearly to bits. This is…NO!!!

Wide-eyed, Cirno desperately shakes her head back and forth, trying to clear it. Her breath shortens as she realizes how lucky she really was to have fought Elis alone.

"Calm down." A calm voice suddenly comes from her side, startling the fairy. She turns to her left to see Kratos looking at her, his arms folded. "As usual, I see that woman is good at riling others up."

"K-Kratos!" Cirno hovers up and down in the air in agitation. "Is she right? Am I putting you and the others—"

The man holds a hand up to cut her off. "Enough. I suspect that while her words are true, we would be targeted regardless of whether you were here or not. From the sounds of it, those bandits had somehow heard of you, but they couldn't have amassed that many bandits in the short time you've been here. No, I fear that you weren't the first 'outsider' to come to this world." He stresses the word 'outsider' slightly, an odd look passing across his face momentarily before getting replaced by his usual neutral gaze. "I'll admit that I was suspicious of you at first, but you've done quite a lot since then to prove yourself to me. Hold your head high, Cirno." Having said what he wanted to, the man turns and begins to walk away.

Is this ok? Can I just accept this after what Yukari said? She stares at the mercenary's broad back for a few seconds before slowly shaking her head. No, I can't. If I'm going to call myself the strongest, then I need to get stronger for everyone's sakes! The next time this happens, I want to be ready!

"Wait a second, Kratos," Cirno calls out, her mind made up. The man turns around and gives a curious look at her but remains silent, waiting. "Back in the desert, you offered to give me combat lessons. I—I want to get stronger so I can protect everyone! I really, really hate to admit it, but you're the better fighter. Can you…" the fairy takes a deep breath and swallows her pride, "Can you give me a lesson now?"

A ghost of a smile appears on the man's face as he considers her offer. "You realize that this won't likely aid you should a similar opponent attack us, right? That is a type of battle where range is the key, from the looks of it."

Cirno shrugs. "Maybe, but I did manage to cut the bullets in half with my sword. Who knows, if I can do that, there might be more I can do with this thing." She takes out the sword and looks at it intently.

"Hmph, very well," Kratos replies. "Then let us begin by focusing on something that all beginning warriors struggle with—defense. I suspect this will help you not only in melee battles but potentially in your other battles."

The fairy holds back a groan. "Huh? Defense? But why defend when you can just attack and waste the enemy?"

Kratos nods slowly. "Yes, that is one option. If you are against weaker opponents, or those that can be overwhelmed with force, such as normal magic and range-using combatants, that is a solid strategy. However, even in your last battle against Elis, could you have won by going all-out?"

A chastised expression appears on her face. "No, I couldn't. I guess I get what you're saying."

The mercenary gives her an approving look. "In our travels, we are bound to fight against enemies that simply can't be defeated by offense alone. Some will be too powerful to do so while others may have special abilities that make such a strategy impossible. In those fights, and even in general, prioritizing a strong defense wins far more battles than all-out aggression." He pauses for a moment as a thought comes to him. "For instance, do you remember our duel? By focusing on blocking and parrying your blows, I was able to deal free damage to you at very little risk to myself. The focus here is using a strong defense to transition into a few powerful counterattack blows before recovering back into a defensive position again. By fighting like this, you can overwhelm even the strongest opponents…so long as your defense holds true. Come, I'll demonstrate again." He takes out his sword and makes a come-on gesture to Cirno.

A serious look appears on her face as she summons her sword. "Alright, here I come!"

*Cirno's combat abilities improve slightly! Further sessions may lead to far greater improvement…*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few hours later, Kratos wipes a sheen of sweat off of his brow. "Let's end it here," he says as he sheathes his sword. "I think you're making progress."

Grinning happily, Cirno says, "Yeah, I agree. I still can't block your attacks, but I'm starting to understand what you're talking about."

Nodding in approval, the mercenary opens his mouth to say something before slowly closing it, a look of realization dawning on his face. "Cirno," he says, staring at the fairy seriously. "I've been taking it for granted up until now, but…you haven't been wearing armor, have you?" The fairy tilts her head for a moment before shaking it no. Kratos sighs. "Well, I suppose that's one way to help you get stronger in a hurry, though it'll take some getting used to on your part."

A thoughtful look appears on Cirno's face. "Armor, huh? Well, I don't know if I'll like it, but I'll try it out if you think it'll help."

"Yes, that would be wise," he says dryly. "The only problem is where to find armor in your size…Hey, you can make a sword out of ice, right? Surprisingly, it's able to hold up to actual steel in combat. Why not try the same with armor?"

Cirno thinks for a few seconds. "I could try it, but I need to model it off of something first. If I make something for the first time without doing that, it breaks immediately." An annoyed frown appears on her face as she remembers the axe back in Izoold.

Kratos begins unstrapping his heavy chest armor. "Here, take a look at this." It takes him about four minutes to undo it, but eventually he sets it on the ground with a light clanging sound.

Floating down, Cirno circles around the armor and studies it carefully, noting how it all fits together. Moments later, she gives a confident nod. "Alright, I got it. Here we go!" Summoning her power, she makes an identical copy made of ice that clangs down on the ground next to Kratos's.

Crossing his arms, the mercenary shakes his head in amazement. "Impressive."

"Hehe, right?" With a thought, the armor disappears and then reappears on Cirno, already strapped on. The fairy's eyes widen as the weight bears down on her, but she manages to stay airborne. "Woah, this is heavy…also, is it just me or is it a bit big?"

Giving the armor an experienced glance, he nods. "That's because it is. Can you shrink it to fit you better?"

Concentrating, the fairy molds the armor to fit her a bit better, making sure to remember what the end result is for reference. "There, that feels a bit better, and it's a bit lighter now. Alright, I'm going to test it out, hold on!" Taking off, she flies around the sky a bit, getting used to the slight loss in speed. She then attempts to push herself faster and faster until she almost reaches about 80% of her max speed without the armor. Satisfied, she floats back down to Kratos. "Phew, I think it could work, though it's a bit slower than before. Then again, I guess I can make it go away just like I do with my sword, so maybe I could get rid of the armor if I want to go really fast?" She shrugs.

"That's…actually, that would be an impressive advantage," the mercenary allows. "Still, there are other types of armor we could try. For example, perhaps Colette's lighter armor would suit you better? We might want to ask her later. For now…" He takes out his sword once again, causing Cirno to tilt her head in confusion.

"What're you doing, Kratos?" She asks. "I thought we were done?"

He nods. "We are, but I need to test your armor's durability first. Cirno, can you summon it on the ground?" After she does so, the mercenary lines himself up. Taking a deep breath, he brings his sword up and smashes it down at the armor. His eyes widen as the blade bounces off the center, barely leaving a dent in the armor. "Even stronger than I suspected," he mutters to himself. He then proceeds to launch a series of attacks, including a few Artes like Demon Fang. All of the attacks are repelled by the armor, though by the end it does look more than a bit beaten up. Finally, he looks over at the fairy with an impressed look on his face. "Well, it passes the physical damage test, at least. Cirno, can you summon the armor again without damage?"

Cirno grins. "Sure!" Moments later, the armor is once again in pristine condition. A red circle suddenly appears under the mercenary's feet, causing Cirno to float backwards a bit nervously. "Uh, Kratos…? What are you—?"

"Fireball!" A series of flaming balls launch themselves at the armor and explode as they reach it. Unsurprisingly, the armor visibly melts a little, but otherwise holds its form well enough to continue functioning. Kratos sheathes his sword with a small smile on his face. "As expected, sustained fire attacks would be able to overcome it, but that's still pointless, considering your ability to recreate it instantly. While it won't protect you completely from magical attacks, it should still serve as a fair bulwark to all but the most powerful spells."

"Then let's try something a bit different, huh?" Cirno floats down in front of the armor with an excited look on her face. "Time for some Danmaku!" A stream of Danmaku spreads out and hits the area around the armor. The bullets that do hit the armor bounce off and ricochet in odd directions. A beat passes before Cirno gives an excited holler. "Oh man, it can even block Danmaku!" She then summons an Icicle Stream, which has a lot more effect as the bullets punch a continuous hole into the armor, but fail to completely pierce all the way through. A thoughtful look appears on her face as she repairs the armor. "Alright, so it's not perfect, but it can even stop my Icicle Stream. How about this one?" Grinning eagerly, she uses a point-blank Ice Blast. The shotgun-like attack completely devastates the armor and blasts a hole straight through the front of it, though the shards that make it through are greatly slowed due to the armor's impediment.

Kratos puts a hand on Cirno's shoulder. "That's enough," he says, his mouth twitching slightly at the corners in amusement. "I think we can call it a success, either way."

The fairy unsummons the armor with a shrug. "Yeah, I'd say so. It's a lot heavier than I expected it'd be, but I think I can get used to it in time."

"Don't forget we can always check the shop in Hima," Kratos reminds her. "We'll talk to Colette later on and see if she has any of her old armor; it might be helpful to compare a lighter armor with my heavier one. After all, while you can fight in melee range, your speed is one of your greatest assets. While the ice armor appears to be easily removable, that still can prove dangerous if your reaction time is too slow in putting it back on."

"Did somebody say my name?" The pair turns around in surprise to see Colette standing there, giving them both a curious look. "Sorry if I'm interrupting, but I heard a lot of noise and thought I'd come see what you're doing."

Kratos shakes his head. "No, we just finished. I realized that Cirno hasn't been using armor, and thought it might be wise to address that."

Grinning, Cirno summons her armor on her body. "Look what I can do!" She twirls around, catching the evening sun's reflection as she does so. "It's a bit heavy, but it's really strong!"

Colette claps her hands in amazement. "Wow, that's amazing! I can't believe you can make something like that." She stares at the armor with appreciative eyes for a few seconds before remembering something. "Oh, so then why did my name come up?"

Suppressing an amused snort, Kratos says, "Do you happen to have any of your old armor still? This armor," he points to Cirno's shiny armor, "is actually based off of my own. While it makes sense for a front-line fighter to wear this kind of heavy protection, Cirno might be more suited for something similar to your own."

The blond-haired girl nods excitedly. "Sure, let me go grab a set!" She turns and runs towards camp, but only makes it a few steps before she trips and falls to the ground. A sheepish expression appears on her face as she stands up and dusts herself off.

"Take your time," Kratos says. "No need to rush."

"R-Right," Colette replies before she turns around and jogs to the camp.

A few minutes later, Cirno finds herself holding a set of leather armor, complete with greaves, torso, and cap. "Huh, this stuff looks kinda thin," she says as she looks at the armor. Turning to Kratos, she tilts her head. "Are you sure this can actually protect people in battle?"

He nods. "Yes, though it's a different sort of protection than the armor I use. My armor is meant to be as sturdy as possible, theoretically able to reflect all but the strongest blows. As a tradeoff, I have to carry a lot of weight around when I fight, not to mention when I walk around. Leather armors and lighter metal armors aren't meant to be in the thick of battle. They can absorb or weaken a blow here or there, but the point of such armor is to provide a reasonable level of protection while still allowing for high mobility in battle." He then reaches down, grabs the leather cap, and gently sets it on Cirno's head. "Here, it'll make more sense if you try it on…the actual armor, this time. The size is a bit off, but it'll do for an example."

Cirno shrugs and begins donning as much of the armor as possible, with a few tips from Colette and Kratos while doing so. Unlike the heavy metal armor, there aren't any confusing series of metal clasps, just a buckle or two to help secure the pieces together. Within two minutes, the fairy finishes putting the armor on.

"Hey, you're right!" Cirno says in surprise. "This does feel a lot lighter!"

Giggling, Colette says, "Well of course, silly. There's no way I could carry around as much armor as Kratos and Lloyd do and still be able to fight. I fight a bit like you do, actually. I can fight in melee combat, but I also have other abilities I can use at range to fight. With Kratos and Lloyd in front, it's usually better if I stay out of their way. I'm a bit clumsy, after all."

Kratos snorts. "Regardless, why don't you test that armor, Cirno. Fly around a bit."

Giving an eager grin, the fairy takes off and makes a few zigzags in the sky, testing her mobility. She then speeds up and zooms away in a straight line, traveling almost out of view before turning around and coming back. Nodding in appreciation, she lowers herself back down to their level. "I can almost move as fast as usual with this stuff on! That's really cool…though I don't know how useful it'll be."

The mercenary shrugs. "It's not meant to be the most durable, just the most convenient type of protection. I'm sure the blacksmith in Hima will have many more types of armor, especially those that offer a better balance of protection and mobility, though perhaps without the best advantages of either. For now, I suggest you consider using either the leather armor or your ice armor until we get there."

"But what should I choose?" Cirno asks, obviously conflicted. "They're both really good!"

Colette pats the fairy on the back. "Just think about how you want to fight, Cirno. If you want to fight with your sword more, go with the ice armor. If you want to cast spells or attack from a distance, go with the leather armor."

"Okay, let me think for a few minutes, then," Cirno replies.

What do I want to use? My ice armor seemed really strong, and even reflected Danmaku bullets, but I can't move as fast in it, though I can always make the armor go away if I need to move, I guess. The leather armor lets me move really fast still, but I don't think it'll be nearly as good as the ice armor. Then again, maybe I don't need armor after all? I'm the strongest, and who says the strongest has to use armor?

What will Cirno decide to do about armor? *Note, this decision will only last until Hima, at which point Cirno might get the chance to look at other armor types.*

[] Go with the ice armor! It's really strong, and who knows what kinds of bad guys we'll be facing? Even the strongest needs to be prepared!

[] Go with the leather armor! While it isn't nearly as strong as the ice armor, it will still protect me from some attacks, and I can still move really quickly in it!

[] Who needs armor? The strongest doesn't need any armor to beat the bad guys up! At least for now, there's no need for armor.

[] Write-in?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite a lengthy update this time, eh? This time, it was front-loaded with all the juicy plot goodness, and had a bit more relaxed tone once training and armor stuff came up.

For reference, yes, as a matter of fact you are quite capable of contacting Yukari whenever you wish to (she may not respond, but she'll know you tried at the very least). However, as with all things, just because you can do something, it doesn't necessarily mean you should. She's a youkai that doesn't take kindly to interruptions, especially when she's sleeping. You had important things to talk about this time, but it still almost turned out poorly for our favorite fairy. Be careful not to waste her time with trivial matters or else she might very well make you regret it. This isn't to say that she's not a potentially valuable resource of information, but one that shouldn't be abused unless it's absolutely necessary.

That being said, Cirno may not completely realize that fact. Be warned. ;)

In terms of the important stuff that was covered with Yukari, I'll let you guys do the analysis as per usual. However, I will say that while she was a bit more direct this time, there is still plenty of information that might not have come up…or might only have been hinted at. Keep that in mind as you think about things that have been revealed thus far.

And now for the armor. While I like the idea of giving her 100 different armor choices, obviously that won't be practical for this point in time. Once we get to Hima, maybe she'll be able to choose from 4-6 or so. For now, understand that you're being given three equally good options, with the potential to write something in if you really have an unexpected solution in mind.

The next update will bring yet another exciting episode of Keine-sensei version 2.0…aka Raine the Demon Teacher. Considering how well Cirno did last time, it probably won't be a bit deal for everyone's favorite fairy, but what subject will be covered still remains to be seen. Who knows, perhaps you guys will learn something as well! :3

In terms of the next update, I have a bit of a dilemma due to how busy my weekend is (I have Monday and Tuesday off, so that's good!). If possible, I'd like to get the next update out by Friday, but we'll have to see how it works. I'll be shooting for that, but if it fails due to time constraints, then I'll plan on finishing the update on Monday.

As always, I look forward to seeing your awesome discussions, Omakes, and whatever else you guys come up with! :D

Back